PDA

View Full Version : Tom and Jerry meets Willy Wonka

Raph's Girl
04-18-2017, 10:24 PM
"Dear Warner Brothers. Tom and Jerry meets Willy Wonka?! SERIOUSLY?! And there's an Oompa Loompa mouse?!" *face palms* Trailer for this...thing :ohwell:

qs-tu4fj4zA

sdp
04-18-2017, 10:30 PM
Hanna-Barbera properties have been getting crappy crossovers on DTV for years now.

FredWolfLeonardo
04-18-2017, 10:32 PM
I can't wait to see when Nostalgia Critic reviews this

Utrommaniac
04-18-2017, 10:34 PM
"All new original movie"

Clearly, no one knows what to do with Tom and Jerry anymore.

We'll have to consider it a blessing that the Flintstones have been reduced to cereal, chewable vitamins, and and an analysis existentialism from Marvel.

Coola Yagami
04-18-2017, 10:35 PM
I have no words. It looks like they get a long a lot better in this one though.

CyberCubed
04-18-2017, 10:39 PM
Do kids today even know who Tom and Jerry are?

Utrommaniac
04-18-2017, 10:44 PM
Well, maybe not as they were in their golden years.

Allio
04-18-2017, 10:49 PM
not like cartoon network doesn't play their Nutcracker film every year or that "New" adventures of Tom and Jerry

or wait..

Raph's Girl
04-18-2017, 11:09 PM
We'll have to consider it a blessing that the Flintstones have been reduced to cereal, chewable vitamins, and and an analysis existentialism from Marvel.

Flinstones had a WWE crossover film.

sdp
04-18-2017, 11:16 PM
I think kids today know Tom and Jerry the same way I knew Mickey Mouse or Felix the Cat. I knew he was an icon and i liked him a lot but they didn't really have any films or tv shows for me to watch growing up yet I knew very well who they were.

Most of the "classic" cartoons, my generation only knows because of Cartoon Network that was created to rerun all those shows, if not our generation wouldn't really have grown up with them either.

Wildcat
04-18-2017, 11:17 PM
Are we seriously gonna complain about a Tom and Jerry crossover? Not everything is a "WTF face palm"

It's just a DTV movie. Tom and Jerry (and Scooby) have had a lot of them. They had a Wizard of Oz and Jack & the Beanstalk crossover too. It looks cute. They're fun to see.

DestronMirage22
04-18-2017, 11:49 PM
To these DTV films every get much profit though? As far as I know there isn't really a market for these cheap movies, I'm sure most people aren't exactly at the edge of their seats hoping one day the Flintstones meet John Cena or something.

Allio
04-19-2017, 12:12 AM
plus, it isn't like Tom and Jerry are obscure, I mean, it isn't like Woody Woodpecker. T and J are pretty up there in the list of cartoon characters.

Utrommaniac
04-19-2017, 12:51 AM
To these DTV films every get much profit though? As far as I know there isn't really a market for these cheap movies, I'm sure most people aren't exactly at the edge of their seats hoping one day the Flintstones meet John Cena or something.

Even though that does sound corny enough to watch just to make fun of it.

LeotheLateBloomer
04-19-2017, 01:47 AM
Do kids today even know who Tom and Jerry are?

My Art Institute teacher had a class of students who didn't know who Elmer Fudd was.:lol:

ProactiveMan
04-19-2017, 02:36 AM
Remember how violent Tom & Jerry were in the MGM days?

ZariusTwo
04-19-2017, 04:25 AM
an analysis existentialism from Marvel.

DC actually

TheSkeletonMan939
04-19-2017, 08:38 AM
Remember how violent Tom & Jerry were in the MGM days?

Looney Tunes is the same way; all the goofy explosive violence is gone today. A few years ago there was a Looney Tunes show that took place in the suburbs, and episodes revolved around relationship problems instead of comic mischief. :-?

Allio
04-19-2017, 09:17 AM
Looney tunes show honestly wasn't bad. Really enjoyed it. The merry melodies they had were awesome.

The Deadman
04-19-2017, 09:38 AM
So they remade Willy Wonka and added Tom and Jerry in? Nice.

ProactiveMan
04-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Looney Tunes is the same way; all the goofy explosive violence is gone today. A few years ago there was a Looney Tunes show that took place in the suburbs, and episodes revolved around relationship problems instead of comic mischief. :-?

Poor kids. Where can they go to see an adorable mouse beat a cat with a pool cue?

Granted, the cartoons of my youth were pretty sanitized, but there were still loads of crazy old-timey cartoons on TV all the time. So you'd have He-Man limply throwing bad guys into mud puddles and telling you to brush your teeth, followed by a cartoon cat getting smacked in the ass with a floorboard with two nails in it.

oldmanwinters
04-19-2017, 10:03 AM
I have no plans to pay money for this, but I'm cool with its existence.

Jester
04-19-2017, 10:13 AM
So...unlike Disney who is making big budget (and some would say totally unnecessary) "live action" remakes of their classics, Warner Bros. is making equally unnecessary direct to DVD remakes with Tom and Jerry?

TurtleTitan97
04-19-2017, 10:24 AM
So...unlike Disney who is making big budget (and some would say totally unnecessary) "live action" remakes of their classics, Warner Bros. is making equally unnecessary direct to DVD remakes with Tom and Jerry?

Funny you say that, considering WB at one point wanted to make a live action "Tom & Jerry" movie.

TheSkeletonMan939
04-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Funny you say that, considering WB at one point wanted to make a live action "Tom & Jerry" movie.

Oh man... that sentence gave me "Garfield" movie flashbacks.

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/garfield/images/0/07/Garfield_Movie.png

Candy Kappa
04-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Okay... it's the Gene Wilder movie as a cartoon with Tom & Jerry costarring.

Neat, I guess.

It's not like there's a book you can mine for something new then just rehashing a existing adaptation.

CyberCubed
04-19-2017, 02:41 PM
It's a shame what happened to classic cartoons. Kids these days have no idea what Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, Popeye, Flintstones, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Top Cat, Quickdraw Mcdraw, etc. are outside of just mascots or icons. The only reason they still know Scooby Doo is they constantly reboot it every 3-4 years with a new show.

Cure
04-19-2017, 03:58 PM
Who cares? Most of those cartoons suck. Of the ones you mentioned, Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry are the only ones who still hold up today. The others are suuuuuuper boring.

Utrommaniac
04-19-2017, 04:08 PM
I thought the Suburbs Looney Toons was okay; they still got into plenty of comic mischief, and their Lola was so much more fun than her original version. Which made for more interesting character dynamics, which includes "Never leave Daffy on his own with Lola, Foghorn Leghorn, or Porky".

Their Roadrunner stuff sucked though. Why is it in CG? Why couldn't they have been in some weird Suburb roles? They could have been joggers competing for "territory"

TurtleWA
04-19-2017, 04:13 PM
It's a shame what happened to classic cartoons. Kids these days have no idea what Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, Popeye, Flintstones, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Top Cat, Quickdraw Mcdraw, etc. are outside of just mascots or icons. The only reason they still know Scooby Doo is they constantly reboot it every 3-4 years with a new show.

And speedy gonzales (but not sure how pc it would be today), sylvester and tweety, Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner, the jetsons, Taz.

LeotheLateBloomer
04-19-2017, 04:18 PM
I remember the Nostalgia Critic doing a review on The Looney Tunes Show and he liked it a lot. I remember enjoying that show as well.

Are we seriously gonna complain about a Tom and Jerry crossover? Not everything is a "WTF face palm"

It's just a DTV movie. Tom and Jerry (and Scooby) have had a lot of them. They had a Wizard of Oz and Jack & the Beanstalk crossover too. It looks cute. They're fun to see.

Agreed! While I'm not all that excited about this news as a Tom and Jerry fan, it's far from the worst thing they've starred in.

You'd think they'd be more interested in a Space Jam/Back in Action-esque hybrid considering the type of formula the direct-to-dvd films are following with them serving as nothing but background characters.

Utrommaniac
04-19-2017, 04:22 PM
I think a big issue with some of these is how dated they are.
The Flintstones were once described to me as being like the Simpsons. Who at this point have been replaced by the Griffins. Who have been replaced by the Belchers. When I have kids, I'd be okay with them going without the Flintstones and Yogi Bear. They were pretty much out when I was a kid, and while they are huge animation icons, they're kind of third tier to me.

CyberCubed
04-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Who cares? Most of those cartoons suck. Of the ones you mentioned, Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry are the only ones who still hold up today. The others are suuuuuuper boring.

The original Flintstones cartoon still holds up and is fun to watch to this day. Mainly because it's a sit-com.

LeotheLateBloomer
04-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Both that and the Jetsons. But they're both shows that you'd still have to be in the mood for. I actually bought the complete series of Heathcliff a few months ago, dirt cheap and even with that series, you'd have to be in a certain mood for.

Allio
04-19-2017, 06:17 PM
Now regarding the flint stones, the current comics by DC have been superb

Utrommaniac
04-19-2017, 06:26 PM
Though, just a little obscure given the sharp change in how it presents itself. I've only seen a few samples, but it's been amusing.

"We participated in a genocide, Barney..."

CyberCubed
04-19-2017, 07:17 PM
The thing is Flintstones wasn't a kids show even when it was airing. It was aimed at the same people who watched the Honeymooners, etc. The only reason it seems like a kids show to people nowadays, is because there's no adult humor, cursing, or raunchy stuff that you would see in shows like Simpsons or Family Guy today. But then you remember Flintstones aired in the 60's, that type of humor wasn't allowed on TV back then.

Flintstones actually had controversy when Wilma was shown pregnant with Pebbles in the show, because it was the first time an animated character was implied to have had sex (obviously), you can read articles about it online. Funny how stuff like this doesn't matter nowadays.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-19-2017, 07:26 PM
You should teach cartoon history or something- how you find time to look up stuff like this I will never figure out. Do you have Hermione's time-turner or whatever it was?

Utrommaniac
04-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Wasn't there also a big to-do about them sharing a bed too at some point? Though, I recall a VHS where they had separate beds...wherein Fred was jealous of Wilma hanging out with her High School boyfriend. During that time, it was always a big controversy of showing either of those things.

THGhost
04-19-2017, 09:06 PM
Another crappy Tom & Jerry movie. :roll:

Warner Bros. refuses to release any more classic T&J on Blu-ray and instead give us this?

Coola Yagami
04-19-2017, 09:30 PM
The weirdest thing is that this is basically.... Willy Wonka animated remake.. with Tom and Jerry photoshopped in. It's like they tried to do an animated version of WW but were afraid it wouldn't sell, so they decided to randomly shoehorn Tom and Jerry in it. So far, based on the trailer, I'm not really seeing how they contribute to the plot, and it looks like it can happen just fine without them.

At least with the WWE crossovers, the characters are actually involved and move the plot. It's not a straight up animated recreation of Wrestlemania 3 that happens to have Fred and Barney in the audience cheering.

oldmanwinters
04-19-2017, 10:03 PM
It's not a fair comparison, but literary classics still work just fine as Muppet movies, so maybe a mid-20th century film can still work as a cartoon with other characters shoe-horned in for comic relief? I'd actually enjoy seeing Tom punished relentlessly by each of the Chocolate Factory's "bad kid" sequences.

ProphetofGanja
04-19-2017, 10:18 PM
This was a very interesting idea. I'm not saying it was a good idea, but it was an interesting one, none the less.

It's a pity that the animation looks like something somebody would make at home to put on youtube.

As a fan of both the original Willy Wonka and Tom and Jerry cartoons, I'll pass on this. But hopefully it finds its intended market, whoever that's supposed to be.

Does anybody else remember when they actually sold Wonka brand candies? Those scrumdiddlyumptious bars were my sh:t!

Utrommaniac
04-19-2017, 10:37 PM
Well, I mean...they still technically do, as a Nestle subsidiary. It's where Nerds, Sweetarts, and Bottlecaps (my personal favorite) come from. Not really anything true to the Gene Wilder Wonka, though. Though that would be awesome.

And golden moments in a police station should anyone steal a candy called Fizzy Lifting Drinks

ProphetofGanja
04-19-2017, 10:48 PM
Well, I mean...they still technically do, as a Nestle subsidiary. It's where Nerds, Sweetarts, and Bottlecaps (my personal favorite) come from. Not really anything true to the Gene Wilder Wonka, though. Though that would be awesome.

And golden moments in a police station should anyone steal a candy called Fizzy Lifting Drinks

Yeah yeah yeah, those are all well and good, but I'm still mad they discontinued the whole line of Wonka chocolate bars. Nerds and the rest are great and all, but those chocolate bars were some of the best

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81x0Lf1EE-L._SL1500_.jpg

the stuff dreams are made of :thyper:

MsMarvelDuckie
04-19-2017, 11:07 PM
They still do. I see them once in a while when I'm on the candy isle. Gobstoppers too.

ProactiveMan
04-19-2017, 11:13 PM
I remember seeing Everlasting Gobstoppers at the shop and being disappointed that they weren't shaped like the ones from the movie.

Utrommaniac
04-19-2017, 11:18 PM
Yeah, that was disappointing.

I love the gobstoppers too, though. When I was little, I was in a play, and during practice breaks, I would get them from the vending machine. All. The. Time. (It was an all-children's group. I played a dragon, which was the last part available and I had been out of town when the roles were cast. But I wanted to be a friendly dragon even though she worked for the Evil Wizard. And she was pink. And named Suzie. Because I liked that name too.)

There was also a demonstration where we talked about how they were made - I don't really know why, and we soaked them so we could see each of the color layers dissolve.

ProactiveMan
04-20-2017, 02:13 AM
I played a dragon in primary school too, but I was green, and my tail was made of stockings and egg cartons. I wanted to look like the dragon from the Paper Bag Princess, which was one of my favourite books at the time.

DarkFell
04-20-2017, 07:49 AM
Cool stuff is in the spoiler if anyone wants to read it, since it doesn't relate to the thread topic.

I never got to be a dragon as a child. :(

However, I did make something of a wyvern cosplay that I would like to finish up someday. All I need to do is create a stand for the beastie; then I can finish up working on the costume and work on its head. Since I don't have the $$ to shell out for a mannequin torso display w/ a tripod stand, some PVC sink pipes of different sizes should do the trick to create a makeshift stand. (Well, I least I hope so. :))

As for the thread topic, I was so-so into the Scrumdiddlyumptious Chocolate Bar, but I did enjoy Bottle Caps more than Gobstoppers as a kid. I found out that I like the Nerds rope candy some years back.

I am slowly backing off of candy, but I still have my vices. Whoppers and any Reese's candies still remain my favorites.

Shark_Blade
04-21-2017, 01:20 AM
That animation is so outdated, dull and uninspiring. Yuck.

THGhost
04-22-2017, 08:50 AM
I remember seeing Everlasting Gobstoppers at the shop and being disappointed that they weren't shaped like the ones from the movie.

I know, right!? So disappointing for a kid to see. :lol:

Flintstones actually had controversy when Wilma was shown pregnant with Pebbles in the show, because it was the first time an animated character was implied to have had sex (obviously), you can read articles about it online. Funny how stuff like this doesn't matter nowadays.

I hadn't heard that. I did hear that The Flintstones was the first TV show to show a couple in bed together though (Fred & Wilma).

FredWolfLeonardo
07-25-2017, 09:29 PM
I can't wait to see when Nostalgia Critic reviews this

http://channelawesome.com/tom-and-jerry-willy-wonka-the-chocolate-factory-nostalgia-critic/

My wish came true! :)

Utrommaniac
07-25-2017, 09:51 PM
Ohhh man, I just about cried laughing at this interpretation of the tunnel scene :lol: . What was even happening?! Tuffy said "Hell"? The way he built into the scream? The robot and the toy dog?

Fantastic.