PDA

View Full Version : Will the slasher genre ever have another revival?

Krutch
04-19-2017, 05:30 AM
I was going to throw this in the horror movie discussion but since this doesn't pertain to any movie specifically...

Just a general question I thought I'd bring up. I'm a huge slasher fan who grew up on the ever so brief 90's revival period of slashers. Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legend... these were the movies my friends and I wore out the VHS tapes to. Of course, that lead to us eventually working backwards through the 80s and late 70s and discovering all the classics.

Slasher nostalgia has seem to find a home on television oddly enough with Scream Queens, Slasher, and Scream: The Series all popping up and performing well enough.

But will slasher movies ever have that boom period again? If so, what would it take?

Allio
04-19-2017, 05:59 AM
probably not for awhile. Seems to me we are on a Gothic ghost story kick.

ProactiveMan
04-19-2017, 09:13 AM
I think it will come back in some form or another. Unfortunately (but probably inevitably) the genre became a parody of itself, then it got very meta and post-modern. It would be hard to just carry on like that never happened, so whoever starts making these things again will have to do something original.

Andrew NDB
04-19-2017, 10:43 AM
These days it's all about back-to-back PG-13 "horror" films with a lot of jump scares where the bad guys are spooky kids.

Jump scares are cheap. Kids aren't spooky... f***in', kick that little sh*t in the face. PG-13 "horror" isn't horror. This is a terrible age for horror movies.

CyberCubed
04-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Probably because there's only so many ways a guy/clown/hockey mask wearing/devil can go around hiding in the shadows slashing teens with a machete before it gets old.

THGhost
04-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Well, a new Halloween movie is being made. So... maybe?

Allio
04-19-2017, 08:17 PM
These days it's all about back-to-back PG-13 "horror" films with a lot of jump scares where the bad guys are spooky kids.

Jump scares are cheap. Kids aren't spooky... f***in', kick that little sh*t in the face. PG-13 "horror" isn't horror. This is a terrible age for horror movies.

Krampus wasn't bad, but then again it was able to play of the "cold death of winter"

Krutch
04-19-2017, 08:33 PM
Well, a new Halloween movie is being made. So... maybe?

And a new Child's Play. But there's also the Friday the 13th reboot that had its plug pulled 6 weeks from shooting, so someone up top doesn't think the waters are quite safe for a slasher return.

I think the issue with slasher is it's such a well defined genre that allows little room for growth. I mean, as soon as you mix it up a bit, it stops becoming a slasher and turns into a thriller. Movies like Hush and The Strangers twisted the formula enough to be different, and ended up not falling under the slasher category; they're considered home invasion movies instead.

So I guess in the trick to spark another boom period for slashers would be just exceptional filmmaking. Don't try a fresh spin on things; pay tribute and show why the genre is special in it's own right. I don't know... I guess I just want to see more slashers back in theatres :lol:

Shark_Blade
04-20-2017, 02:27 AM
Until Dawn (PS4).

Krutch
04-20-2017, 06:52 AM
Until Dawn (PS4).
...is not a slasher. Has a slasher character in it, but isn't it ultimately a wendigo storyline?

Cure
04-20-2017, 11:19 PM

You have a weird fixation with movie ratings and giving them more meaning than you should.

Andrew NDB
04-20-2017, 11:48 PM
You have a weird fixation with movie ratings and giving them more meaning than you should.

In terms of horror or adult films, how am I wrong? I like adult movies where adults can talk as adults really do, action movies where people are getting shot left and right to actually show the consequences (it's actually irresponsible not to), and horror movies where blood is being spilled to actually... be able to show the blood being spilled.

I don't feel these are things that need to be apologized for.

Cure
04-20-2017, 11:57 PM
Just seems a little disingenuous to judge a movie based on that alone.

Shark_Blade
04-21-2017, 12:07 AM
...is not a slasher. Has a slasher character in it, but isn't it ultimately a wendigo storyline?

Wendigo not a slasher? :P

I thought slasher genre is about a bunch of people getting killed.

Andrew NDB
04-21-2017, 12:37 AM
Just seems a little disingenuous to judge a movie based on that alone.

Maybe not, but when it ends up sucking anyway... you sure can point to it as an example of "movie that probably could have been helped by an R-rating." Because I can think of plenty of sh*tty horror movies (just using the genre as an example, but action too) where the R-ratedness of the material saved it.

Krutch
04-21-2017, 05:46 AM
I thought slasher genre is about a bunch of people getting killed.Like Independence Day or Shindler's List? :P

Eh, I guess I'm a bit narrow minded in my definition of slasher. I'd put Wendigo under monster/creature horror. In the same vein as Feast or Predator/Aliens.

I need to stop over-categorizing things so much :lol:

Allio
04-21-2017, 07:17 AM
now tv show wise. Scream was a pretty good show (granted, not to fond of the satire in the original film) as well as the show "Slasher" was good, aside from the last episode.

Krutch
04-21-2017, 12:05 PM
now tv show wise. Scream was a pretty good show (granted, not to fond of the satire in the original film) as well as the show "Slasher" was good, aside from the last episode.

I wanted to get into Slasher but I only made it two episodes in. It just felt kind of boring... But now that it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime or whatever I might give it another go. Eventually.

THGhost
04-22-2017, 07:47 AM
Is CyberCubed really banned? What he do? :P

I very much enjoyed Don't Breathe, The Conjuring 2, Hush, Lights Out, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Final Girls, Insidious: Chapter 3, Krampus, The Witch and Bone Tomahawk and to my knowledge they were all rated 15-18/R with the exception of 10 Cloverfield Lane. Technically not all of them may be full-on "horror" movies, but they're definitely creepy enough.

And a new Child's Play. But there's also the Friday the 13th reboot that had its plug pulled 6 weeks from shooting, so someone up top doesn't think the waters are quite safe for a slasher return.

Or maybe it was because the script just wasn't very good? :lol:

now tv show wise. Scream was a pretty good show

Looking forward to season 3.

Allio
04-24-2017, 01:40 AM
depending on what your definition of "slasher" is, the second season of Kamen Rider Amazons really kicked up on the level of intensity...episode 2, gore galore.

PApagreg
04-24-2017, 11:03 PM
Is CyberCubed really banned? What he do? :P

I very much enjoyed Don't Breathe, The Conjuring 2, Hush, Lights Out, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Final Girls, Insidious: Chapter 3, Krampus, The Witch and Bone Tomahawk and to my knowledge they were all rated 15-18/R with the exception of 10 Cloverfield Lane. Technically not all of them may be full-on "horror" movies, but they're definitely creepy enough.

Don't Breath was rated R but the newest Ouiji movie was pretty good

Allio
04-25-2017, 05:09 AM
boy was "Don't breath" a disappointment.

Coola Yagami
04-25-2017, 10:39 AM
I heard 'The Return of The Cubed' will be epic. We're only a few days away. None will survive.

PApagreg
04-25-2017, 10:56 PM
boy was "Don't breath" a disappointment.
My main problem with Dont Breath was that 1. it was predictable and 2. the blind man's abilities seemed very inconsistent, in one scene he could give Stick and run for his money but in other scenes it feels as if he was also deaf.

THGhost
05-02-2017, 09:35 AM
I liked Don't Breathe, very tense. Hell, even Cinema Sins liked it.

Don't Breath was rated R

That's what I said. :P

Krutch
05-02-2017, 09:57 AM
I still haven't gotten around to Don't Breathe. It's in my que. Would you say it's on par with Hush?

Last night I checked out Beyond The Gates, which... all in all a cool script hampered by some poor directing and editing. Good soundtrack though.

Cure
05-02-2017, 10:37 AM
It's better than Hush, which is still really good.

ProphetofGanja
05-02-2017, 11:00 AM
I heard 'The Return of The Cubed' will be epic. We're only a few days away. None will survive.

A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely

THGhost
05-02-2017, 06:45 PM
I still haven't gotten around to Don't Breathe. It's in my que. Would you say it's on par with Hush?

It's better than Hush, which is still really good.

I also think Don't Breathe is "better" than Hush, both are great though.

A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely

What did he even do to warrant a ban anyway?