PDA

View Full Version : Classic Cartoon Discussion & Youtube Finds (1928-1999)

TurtleWA
04-19-2017, 04:30 PM
I know "classic" can be defined differently so I just decided on pre 1999 for this thread. I don't see a thread like this so I thought I would give it a go.

Found this video today. Wanted to share.

Woody Woodpecker - Pantry Panic (1941)
ukDs7wScLUI

TheBlueTurtle1
04-20-2017, 12:55 AM
I don't understand why they can't make cartoons like this anymore, this era had so many, Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, hanna barbera, and all the great Mickey, Donald, Goofy and Pluto shorts.

Wildcat
04-20-2017, 01:08 AM
There's still cartoons like these. Just don't happen as often. There's the Mickey shorts and Tom and Jerry are still going. Not just the dtv movies. Looney Tunes still gets a new version every now and then. Currently it's Wabbit.

I mentioned this in another topic but I don't think anyone noticed. I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up.

CN is basically stripping Boomerang and turning it into a streaming service for all WB/HB shows. $5 month.

This makes very angry because it's just expecting people to pay for a second Boomerang when the channel has been around for decades through your TV provider.

Boomerang on TV still exists but they've already taken off Be Cool Scooby Doo and Wabbit. I'm guessing Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes will be transferred too but so far they're still appearing.

Redeemer
04-20-2017, 01:14 AM
There's still cartoons like these. Just don't happen as often. There's the Mickey shorts and Tom and Jerry are still going. Not just the dtv movies. Looney Tunes still gets a new version every now and then. Currently it's Wabbit.

I mentioned this in another topic but I don't think anyone noticed. I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up.

CN is basically stripping Boomerang and turning it into a streaming service for all WB/HB shows. $5 month.

This makes very angry because it's just expecting people to pay for a second Boomerang when the channel has been around for decades through your TV provider.

Boomerang on TV still exists but they've already taken off Be Cool Scooby Doo and Wabbit. I'm guessing Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes will be transferred too but so far they're still appearing.

actually not all cable providers provide Boomerang or they just charge you extra if you want it. I am actually glad they are starting a streaming service.

Wildcat
04-20-2017, 01:35 AM
actually not all cable providers provide Boomerang or they just charge you extra if you want it. I am actually glad they are starting a streaming service.Really? It has been around for so long. It's not a premium channel like HBO. Who doesn't carry Boomerang? It's gotta be a select few providers. I'm talking in the US.

Even so I hate this. I could see it if it was some big time service like Netflix or Hulu but a streaming service for only WB/HB content? Just seems so petty. I couldn't believe it when I first read about it.

I mean come on. At least keep the new episodes on TV. (I've read this does not affect Australia)

TheBlueTurtle1
04-20-2017, 06:07 AM

There is a few, but none have the quality or charm of cartoons made between 40-70s

Redeemer
04-20-2017, 12:32 PM
Really? It has been around for so long. It's not a premium channel like HBO. Who doesn't carry Boomerang? It's gotta be a select few providers. I'm talking in the US.

I am in the U.S. and as far as I know Time Warner :lol: now Spectrum. I have been using them for years and they only offer the channel on there "Premium Package"

Autbot_Benz
04-20-2017, 02:30 PM
I loved Classic Popeye cartoons those were always fun

TurtleWA
04-20-2017, 03:39 PM

Seems like every week I hear about some company offering a new monthly subscription. Hulu TV in the works, Disney doing something, YouTube, Amazon, HBO, CBS, etc....

It's been five years since I cut the cable cord for Netflix and Hulu. Have saved a lot of money by doing so. But now it seems like the future is going to be comprised of $5 subscription plans.

In order to get a big variety of programs I'm going to need a dozen different sub plans adding up to more money. The whole point was to save money. Can't there just be only small fee and have everything I want? :lol: :roll:

I loved Classic Popeye cartoons those were always fun

Yeah Popeye is great! :)

ssjup81
04-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Really? It has been around for so long. It's not a premium channel like HBO. Who doesn't carry Boomerang? It's gotta be a select few providers. I'm talking in the US.

Even so I hate this. I could see it if it was some big time service like Netflix or Hulu but a streaming service for only WB/HB content? Just seems so petty. I couldn't believe it when I first read about it.

I mean come on. At least keep the new episodes on TV. (I've read this does not affect Australia)When my folks had cable, Boomerang was a premium channel.

TMNT_Guy
04-20-2017, 06:08 PM
Yeah Popeye is great! :)
You know all those Chuck Norris jokes? Replace Chuck with Popeye and 90% of them would be true. Popeye is the ultimate badass especially in the original comics. He's the only fictional non-super powered being I know of that walked through a hail of bullets while shouting "Go ahead and shoots me, I likes it!" His friends had to beg him to go to a hospital after that because he felt fine. Or another time he drinked from a highly poisonous river with a 100% fatality rate and all he got was a belly ache.

Absolutely love me some animated Popeye, the Fleischer Studio's cartoons that is. I never cared much for the Famous Studios cartoons or anything really that came after that. They just made him too child friendly, gone was his attitude, anger and they even seemed to forget that Popeye is missing an eye...probably to try and make him less scary for the kids. But yeah, the Fleischer Studio's Popeye shorts are full of great animation, music and ad-libbing. Definitely some of my favorite cartoons of all time.
4mzw1srhwtw

There is a few, but none have the quality or charm of cartoons made between 40-70s
Some of the new Mickey Mouse shorts can be absolutely stupid, mostly the dialogue heavy ones, but the ones that just rely on visuals alone are quite fantastic.
YFCluYEf7oI

When my folks had cable, Boomerang was a premium channel.
Same. I've always wished I could have Boomerang, but at least I have my DVDs.

Wildcat
04-20-2017, 10:32 PM
Well I don't know much of a premium channel Boomerang is. We have Dish but even before with regular cable we had it too.

I wanted to mention Grizzy and the Lemmings.

https://s22.postimg.org/az0pkhp0x/IMG_0630.jpg

I've seen a few episodes and it reminds of some older cartoons. It's not "lol random" humor either. I recommend checking it out. It's on Boomerang (TV). I only see clips on YouTube.

TurtleWA
04-22-2017, 06:02 PM
You know all those Chuck Norris jokes? Replace Chuck with Popeye and 90% of them would be true. Popeye is the ultimate badass especially in the original comics. He's the only fictional non-super powered being I know of that walked through a hail of bullets while shouting "Go ahead and shoots me, I likes it!" His friends had to beg him to go to a hospital after that because he felt fine. Or another time he drinked from a highly poisonous river with a 100% fatality rate and all he got was a belly ache.

Absolutely love me some animated Popeye, the Fleischer Studio's cartoons that is. I never cared much for the Famous Studios cartoons or anything really that came after that. They just made him too child friendly, gone was his attitude, anger and they even seemed to forget that Popeye is missing an eye...probably to try and make him less scary for the kids. But yeah, the Fleischer Studio's Popeye shorts are full of great animation, music and ad-libbing. Definitely some of my favorite cartoons of all time.
4mzw1srhwtw

Some of the new Mickey Mouse shorts can be absolutely stupid, mostly the dialogue heavy ones, but the ones that just rely on visuals alone are quite fantastic.
YFCluYEf7oI

Same. I've always wished I could have Boomerang, but at least I have my DVDs.
That Minnie Mouse video has some cool art style in it!! :D

Well I don't know much of a premium channel Boomerang is. We have Dish but even before with regular cable we had it too.

I wanted to mention Grizzy and the Lemmings.

https://s22.postimg.org/az0pkhp0x/IMG_0630.jpg

I've seen a few episodes and it reminds of some older cartoons. It's not "lol random" humor either. I recommend checking it out. It's on Boomerang (TV). I only see clips on YouTube.

So does Grizzy try to catch the Lemmings in every episode?
l2LbQiEGL2g
The Grizzy clip I found above reminds me of the Wile E Coyote clip below, start at 1:22.
B85hZcQF6TU

Wildcat
04-22-2017, 10:19 PM
@TurtleWA, no not exactly. Grizzy is doing something else but the lemmings interrupt him my fooling around and from there he continues to try and make them go away.