PDA

View Full Version : X-Files returning again...

Raph's Girl
04-20-2017, 06:13 PM
yep...that's right folks. We're getting another season. This time Mulder and Scully are back for 10 eps! Filming starts this summer for either a fall or winter run.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/x-files-coming-back-again-231521915.html

ProphetofGanja
04-20-2017, 06:48 PM
The X-Files was pretty great but there were a lot of missteps. The longer it went on the worse it got, I know I don't even have to go into the seasons where Mulder and Scully are just guest-stars. The way that what started out as such a simple story became so convoluted is frustrating, but I guess it's understandable given how many seasons the show ended up doing.

I'll give another season a shot, but I'm totally going to skip any episodes that tie-into the overarching plot. Just give me a monster-of-the-week and I'm happy.

Andrew NDB
04-20-2017, 08:48 PM
The X-Files was pretty great but there were a lot of missteps. The longer it went on the worse it got, I know I don't even have to go into the seasons where Mulder and Scully are just guest-stars.

There was only one season where they were guest-stars... season 9. Mulder left at end of 7, end Scully was a main through all of 8.

The way that what started out as such a simple story became so convoluted is frustrating, but I guess it's understandable given how many seasons the show ended up doing.

I think it's sort of the Lost thing where they really didn't have a full plan to start with and sort of just kept making it up as they went.

I'll give another season a shot, but I'm totally going to skip any episodes that tie-into the overarching plot. Just give me a monster-of-the-week and I'm happy.

I'm sure it'll structurally be like the 6 episode season 10. First and last episode are about the alien conspiracy plot, the rest are all monster-of-the-week type stuff.

sdp
04-20-2017, 10:28 PM
I marathoned X-Files before season 10 came out and it does indeed start getting worse, at least the mythology episodes, they kept making stuff up as they went and not cool stuff. The show had already jumped the shark way before the new agents showed up or Mulder left. It's a shame too since so much could've been done with the concept, hell I was surprised you actually see the flippin aliens in the first episode.

I still love the show with all its faults and while I haven't seen season 10 I want more X-Files. It's really something hard to remake, it came out at the right time. I would still love if they made a new series with Mulder and Scully passing the torch as was speculated when we first heard rumors for season 10.

Smoking man rocks.

Andrew NDB
04-20-2017, 10:56 PM
You know what's highly underrated? The Lone Gunmen TV show that lasted 1 season. Really good.

ProactiveMan
04-20-2017, 11:46 PM
You know what's highly underrated? The Lone Gunmen TV show that lasted 1 season. Really good.

Yeah, I really like that show. It had a different vibe to it, but it still had a bit of an edge, and it was well written. I was disappointed when they whacked those guys in the final season of the X-Files.

I marathoned X-Files before season 10 came out and it does indeed start getting worse,

I'm watching them all now. It does get worse, but I was surprised at how long it took to get good. Most of season 1 is pretty wonky.

Shark_Blade
04-21-2017, 12:13 AM
I think some episodes are good in Season 10 but mostly it was indeed lackluster and non-intriguing. Which is a pity because I really enjoy their early stuff.

For Season 11 they just need new modern writers (maybe someone from Riverdale or 13 Reasons Why, those are good).

Andrew NDB
04-21-2017, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I really like that show. It had a different vibe to it, but it still had a bit of an edge, and it was well written. I was disappointed when they whacked those guys in the final season of the X-Files.

Sure sounds like they're back in Season 11. If the CSM can come back to life after being reduced to a skeleton on-screen, anybody can.

Krutch
04-21-2017, 05:49 AM
Makes me wonder if in 2030 we'll see another season of Supernatural.

...assuming it's wrapped by then in the first place.

The Deadman
10-09-2017, 08:17 AM
Gillian Anderson Says She’s Done with “The X-Files”, FOX Responds…
http://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3463626/gillian-anderson-says-shes-done-x-files-fox-responds/

newfan
10-09-2017, 09:24 AM
I get sky shield pop up when I open that, maybe she didn't enjoy making these 10. Still, I'm looking forward to them. Trailer is up on twitter.

Spike Spiegel
10-09-2017, 03:15 PM
I started watching this on Netflix during college and stopped at some point in the sixth season...

Wasn't Carter's initial plan to just transition to a series of films after season 5?

ZariusTwo
12-31-2017, 05:23 PM
Gillian's departure now confirmed

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-x-files/news/a846403/gillian-anderson-quits-the-x-files/

CyberCubed
12-31-2017, 05:35 PM
Did X-files really need to go on forever? Old shows like this are usually never revived with old cast members. The fans should be glad they came back at all.

Shark_Blade
01-01-2018, 12:16 AM
Already knew this. It's good she came back at all to wrap up things nicely. :)

Sumac
01-01-2018, 01:35 AM
Wrap?
With the last cliffhanger I am not really sure how they gonna "wrap" this mess. Or if that is possible at all.

Andrew NDB
01-01-2018, 02:06 AM
Gillian's departure now confirmed

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-x-files/news/a846403/gillian-anderson-quits-the-x-files/

Weird... the latest season was hardly a goodbye, and she wasn't talking about the last one like it was her last.

Already knew this. It's good she came back at all to wrap up things nicely. :)

There is no indication at all this season will be positioned as a "wrap-up" at all. It'll probably even end on another cliffhanger.

newfan
01-01-2018, 02:13 AM
She seemed very enthusiastic about the last series, still I didn't think we would get more after this season, still glad to be getting more. I gotta check when it's airing here.

sdp
01-01-2018, 09:18 AM
To be fair X Files lore was a mess since what? season 5 maybe?

We've already had the series end with a Cliffhanger twice before without hope for a wrap-up so this will be no different. We can at least enjoy more episodes of this mess of a. Continuity and return to the status quo of no satisfying ending which was really impossible anyhow.

newfan
01-01-2018, 09:59 AM
I watched through to the end, I didn't like that Mulder left but stuck with it. I remember watching in disbelief when they killed off the Lone Gunmen.

Andrew NDB
01-04-2018, 01:10 AM
Wow, this season premiere was really horrible. I guess the last season is like... retconned entirely away? Or something?

So many boring car chases and people talking in circles.

Sumac
01-04-2018, 01:12 AM
people talking in circles.
Sounds like X-Files. :tcry:

Raph's Girl
01-04-2018, 04:30 PM
Wow, this season premiere was really horrible. I guess the last season is like... retconned entirely away? Or something?

From my understanding this has something to do with the multi-verse coming into play. Seriously. That's what the trailers indicated... :ohwell: That's why it's so bloody confusing. And now William has psychic powers?

I loved it when Skinner was like "Look! It's morse code!" *lol* And that doctor was like "I've seen some weird *(&%(* man working at this hospital...." :lol:

Sumac
01-05-2018, 12:55 AM
Actually after watching this episode myself I must say it was not that bad.
Certainly better than mythology episodes from past season. Though weird camera work and editing were in abundance.
Story doesn't make much sense, but what do you want from something that was running for more than a decade.

ProphetofGanja
01-09-2018, 04:04 PM
Finally caught up on the first episode of Season 11. It definitely helps if you watch the last episode of Season 10 immediately before. Some moments of the show felt like a parody of itself but all in all I found it pretty enjoyable, but then again I'm an X-Files slut. This (https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbyzeb/watching-x-files-stoned) pretty much sums up my philosophy regarding the show, so I'm not overly critical of it.

I do think that if some episodes of the series were erased from continuity the overarching alien/not-alien conspiracy plot would work a little better, but I'd have to do a complete rewatch to figure out which.

Teaser for S11E2, premiering tomorrow

1fgZwbHwt24

Andrew NDB
01-11-2018, 12:32 PM
Gillian Anderson confirms she's really, really done with X-Files after this.

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/gillian-anderson-confirms-shes-done-x-files

I almost wonder if something happened on the set?

Andrew NDB
01-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Saw latest episode. Apparently Trump colluding with Russia, to a point where Trump is actively employing private Russian security outfits to go and attack people is canon in the X-Files.

I did like that there is tensions between the FBI and the White House... that, I buy.

Hamato Yoshi
01-14-2018, 09:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMr3I63BZFA

Long time ago.......

Andrew NDB
01-19-2018, 09:39 AM
OK, this week's episode was actually really, really good. I loved it. It's the kind of episode I would've loved last season. Or any season.

Hilarious.

Sumac
01-19-2018, 12:28 PM
This was a very weird episode.
I like it, kind of, but it felt like agents were just there and events had happened beside from them.

newfan
02-05-2018, 03:13 PM
Only just started here ..least we got it. Yeah that ending, what a shame.
Glad to see it back though, wish we could have a whole proper season but at least there was something

Sumac
02-05-2018, 05:44 PM
Last few episodes after the second one, were very good.
Unexpected level of quality after the past season.

Shark_Blade
02-05-2018, 07:43 PM
I'm gonna miss Scully. :cry: It won't be X-Files without her. #imwithher

Andrew NDB
02-10-2018, 11:16 PM
Latest episode is rubbish. Chemtrails? That's being legitimized in the X-Files world now, right along with Trump's Russian strike forces? Ugh.

I also thought for sure this would be the first episode to feature a monster. Not so. Another fakeout on that front, like the last episode. We're already over halfway done with the season (which is very likely the last time we'll ever see any more X-Files of any kind), c'mon, folks.

newfan
02-28-2018, 03:36 PM
I'm only on ep 4, watching this one lipping WTF but it's supposed to be funny, I remember they used to have the silly eps.

Andrew NDB
02-28-2018, 03:37 PM
I'm all the way caught up and, unless tonight's new episode has one, there has yet to be a "Monster of the Week" episode this season. Just two FAKE ones.

newfan
02-28-2018, 03:39 PM
I'm all the way caught up and, unless tonight's new episode has one, there has yet to be a "Monster of the Week" episode this season. Just two FAKE ones.

How many eps do we get in total this time?

Andrew NDB
02-28-2018, 03:41 PM
How many eps do we get in total this time?

10. Last season was 6.

Sounds like there is a 99% chance this will be the last X-Files we'll ever see. Gillian won't do any more, Carter won't do more without her, Carter thinks there can be more movies (there won't be... like 15 years and they only got enough money to do the super cheapo "I Want to Believe").

newfan
02-28-2018, 03:46 PM
10. Last season was 6.

Sounds like there is a 99% chance this will be the last X-Files we'll ever see. Gillian won't do any more, Carter won't do more without her, Carter thinks there can be more movies (there won't be... like 15 years and they only got enough money to do the super cheapo "I Want to Believe").

That last movie was a disappointment, I was so hyped the x-files was getting a movie years after finishing and then I was just sat staring at the screen afterwards thinking 'what?'
Too bad about Anderson, wonder what happened there, she was hyped over the last season. Could have just gotten old for her or she just doesn't have time maybe.

Andrew NDB
02-28-2018, 03:53 PM
That last movie was a disappointment, I was so hyped the x-files was getting a movie years after finishing and then I was just sat staring at the screen afterwards thinking 'what?'

They really should have put everything into a 2012 X-Files movie. Everything in the show was building toward that and we ended up getting f***-all about it. Just a lame, "Oh, I guess it was delayed" thing in the last season of the new X-Files.

Too bad about Anderson, wonder what happened there, she was hyped over the last season. Could have just gotten old for her or she just doesn't have time maybe.

Seems like some untold behind the scenes story with this season. Or she didn't like the stories this season/where they took Scully.

Andrew NDB
03-01-2018, 12:03 AM
Saw tonight's ep, the show's return from hiatus.

Ehhhhhhhhhh...

It's a good hour of television, heavily Black Mirror-inspired. But c'mon. I know there's weird, self-contained X-Files episodes... but generally even in those Mulder and Scully will make some mention of, "Hey, [partner]... isn't this REALLY WEIRD and/or REALLY WRONG, what's going on around us? WTF??" There is no way they would have gotten even 5% into this episode without doing that, but they do. They treat everything in this episode as perfectly normal.

By about the 2/3 mark I was 100% positive Mulder or Scully would wake up in some diner and the whole thing would be a dream. But it wasn't. It was all real.

newfan
03-01-2018, 12:38 AM
Saw tonight's ep, the show's return from hiatus.

Ehhhhhhhhhh...

It's a good hour of television, heavily Black Mirror-inspired. But c'mon. I know there's weird, self-contained X-Files episodes... but generally even in those Mulder and Scully will make some mention of, "Hey, [partner]... isn't this REALLY WEIRD and/or REALLY WRONG, what's going on around us? WTF??" There is no way they would have gotten even 5% into this episode without doing that, but they do. They treat everything in this episode as perfectly normal.

By about the 2/3 mark I was 100% positive Mulder or Scully would wake up in some diner and the whole thing would be a dream. But it wasn't. It was all real.

I get they'd have random self contained eps but can they afford many of those with only 10 eps this season. I feel a crammed conclusion coming on.
So long as it's better than that last movie at least.

Andrew NDB
03-01-2018, 10:17 AM
I get they'd have random self contained eps but can they afford many of those with only 10 eps this season. I feel a crammed conclusion coming on.

Yeah, totally. I see the last episode of the season is titled "My Struggle IV" so it's the exact same model as last season.

So much this season just seems like a waste of real estate. Some have been good, or middling, or bad, or really bad (and boy, did this season start off with a whopper of a stinker)... but nothing feels like we're getting a real arc, either story-wise or character-wise.

So long as it's better than that last movie at least.

I actually didn't mind it at all. What bothered me most about it was that it infuriatingly fell short of the X-Files movie we deserved at that point... which was the big 2012 affair.

newfan
03-20-2018, 04:49 PM
I'm on ep 8, I hope 9 isn't another random before the finale, which you guys get tomorrow. Hopefully we'll get a good conclusion seen as we won't be getting any more. I'll still read the spoilers :)

Andrew NDB
03-20-2018, 04:52 PM
I'm on ep 8, I hope 9 isn't another random before the finale

It's totally just another random ep. There's a couple of Mulder and Scully exchanges disconnected from the rest of the episode near the end that might be meaningful, or might turn out to be nothing.

newfan
03-20-2018, 05:03 PM
Kidding, did they run out of story for the main story? Lot to cram in that last ep.

Andrew NDB
03-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Kidding, did they run out of story for the main story? Lot to cram in that last ep.

There is a ton to cram into 45 minutes, yeah. Mulder and Scully have to get some kind of reconciliation with William, learn that Smoking Man is the real dad, confront and put down the Smoking Man somehow, exonerate Skinner, prevent the Alien biological agent apocalypse, and then have some kind of happy ending in the midst of this.

I don't see it happening.

newfan
03-20-2018, 05:39 PM
There is a ton to cram into 45 minutes, yeah. Mulder and Scully have to get some kind of reconciliation with William, learn that Smoking Man is the real dad, confront and put down the Smoking Man somehow, exonerate Skinner, prevent the Alien biological agent apocalypse, and then have some kind of happy ending in the midst of this.

I don't see it happening.

How could they not save at least 2 eps for that?! No excuse there, better at least be a very good 45 rushed minutes. I hope they aren't going to try a cliffhanger in hope that Gillian changes her mind about coming back.

Sumac
03-20-2018, 06:55 PM
It seems final episode will have a cliffhanger.

Andrew NDB
03-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Yeah, it sounds like it's going to end on a big, stupid cliffhanger tonight.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-x-files/271879/will-the-x-files-season-12-happen-chris-carter-thinks-so-exclusive

"In the same breath, there is a lot of life left in the show. I think you haven’t seen the end.”

Also, Chris Carter has reconsidered his stance on "there is no X-Files without Mulder and Scully." So he may trudge on without Gillian.

Yikes! Stop it!

newfan
03-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Ughhhh, so a big cliffhanger which may remain if they don't do anything more with it. As Gillian isn't coming back they will need to tie Scully up, less they turn her into an alien so anyone can play her :lol: that would suck.

ZariusTwo
03-22-2018, 04:10 AM
So yeah, were they trolling when they said Gillian was done? Or is Scully just going to go off-the-grid and retire to be a full mother when she comes to term?

Andrew NDB
03-22-2018, 09:47 AM
So yeah, were they trolling when they said Gillian was done? Or is Scully just going to go off-the-grid and retire to be a full mother when she comes to term?

We'll never know. Even if Carter recants his "we'll never do more X-Files without Gillian" and does want to do the show without her... I'm not even sure the ratings were enough this season to bring about a season 12. And without Gillian? Even less likely Fox would throw money at such a thing.

newfan
03-22-2018, 09:57 AM
We'll never know. Even if Carter recants his "we'll never do more X-Files without Gillian" and does want to do the show without her... I'm not even sure the ratings were this season to bring about a season 12. Without Gillian? Even less likely Fox would throw money at such a thing.

We thought it couldn't go on without either of them previously but they did 2 (was it?) seasons without Mulder, wasn't the same though, also it was a strong running series at the time and not something revived years later.
They'd have to come up with something good to get some sort of continuation.

Oh, did you watch the finale Andrew?

Andrew NDB
03-22-2018, 10:00 AM
We thought it couldn't go on without either of them previously but they did 2 (was it?) seasons without Mulder

And they failed spectacularly. In Fox's eyes, that's probably a lesson learned, one they won't be interested in repeating.

Oh, did you watch the finale Andrew?

Not just yet.

newfan
03-22-2018, 10:07 AM
And they failed spectacularly. In Fox's eyes, that's probably a lesson learned, one they won't be interested in repeating.

Not just yet.

A lot of people dropped it after Mulder was gone, I lost enthusiasm too but stuck with it to the end and got used to it enough to do that, but it wasn't the same.

ZariusTwo
03-22-2018, 10:22 AM
I tuned in for the Gunmen until they were killed off, then came back for little things like Scully giving up William, Duggan resolving his own arc, and Mulder's return

sdp
03-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Haven't watched the revival seasons but they sound like a huge mess just like the last few season of the original run. How did they mess it up when it seemed so simple, a few MOTW episodes and a few mythology episodes without going to deep.

Hell, the real best scenario was if they had brought Scully/Mulder along a new generation and see if that worked, yeah it didn't work the last time they did it but there's a difference between replacing the main actors during their run and having the main actors as mentors in a new show.

The old show also didn't fail because Mulder and Scully left, the mythology of the show had already become a huge mess with Mulder and Scully, I can't remember which season though. The replacements weren't that bad even if they lacked the chemistry of Scully/Mulder, the main problem with the later seasons was that they were still continuing the mythology that had become beyond stupid by that point. X-Files would've worked better if they had left the mythology a little more secret and not explaining every single thing, I easily loved the mythology the most about the show but sometimes showing less is more.

Still, the show created the best character ever in fiction with Cigarette Smoking Man.

Andrew NDB
03-23-2018, 11:32 AM
Watched the season finale, which will more than likely be the last time we ever see any X-Files again, ever.

Well, it's not as bad as I feared but it's still pretty rotten. Scully doesn't really do anything in the episode other than say "I'm pregnant with your baby, Mulder. Somehow." What happens with Reyes and Skinner is hysterical (it's... I... gah, you just have to see it, especially what Skinner does when a car is coming toward him and about to crash into him... it's like, "What? Why would he do that?") and alarmingly unresolved and I think that's what bugs me the most about this episode.

It's not like a MASSIVE cliffhanger. There are no dark events supposed to happen after this and the central threat is eliminated. The cliffhanging bits (namely, Reyes and Skinner) could have easily been tidied up in a 10 second scene.

newfan
03-23-2018, 11:40 AM
Watched the season finale, which will more than likely be the last time we ever see any X-Files again, ever.

Well, it's not as bad as I feared but it's still pretty rotten. Scully doesn't really do anything in the episode other than say "I'm pregnant with your baby, Mulder. Somehow." What happens with Reyes and Skinner is hysterical (it's... I... gah, you just have to see it, especially what Skinner does when a car is coming toward him and about to crash into him... it's like, "What? Why would he do that?") and alarmingly unresolved and I think that's what bugs me the most about this episode.

It's not like a MASSIVE cliffhanger. There are no dark events supposed to happen after this and the central threat is eliminated. The cliffhanging bits (namely, Reyes and Skinner) could have easily been tidied up in a 10 second scene.

I knew it! When history repeated itself..

Remember the last time Scully climbed into Mulder's bed because she was sad/unsettled and needed a hug? there came the last pregnancy .... at least this one should be Mulders though :lol: This time around I wondered, are we going there again? she's talking about her age too... yeah..

I hate to ask about the Skinner incident ..

Andrew NDB
03-23-2018, 11:53 AM
The thing is, they don't even attempt to explain it. Scully was declared infertile in season 5 of the show... and her and Mulder even tried in vitro fertilization to no luck. It's like Chris Carter completely forgot that and someone, maybe a PA, ran on and suggested they give Scully a couple of extra lines like, "I don't know how" and "I don't know, it just is."

The Skinner incident is crazy. He shoots Reyes in the head (it LOOKS like... though it kind of looks like the bullet could have maybe just grazed her skull a little... they definitely didn't want to commit either way) then Smoking Man drives fast toward Skinner to try and ram him to death. Skinner freaks out and, like, jumps under the car that Smoking Man's car is about to hit, then gets scrunched under there. The last time you see Skinner, Smoking Man is, like, looking down at Skinner's little feet sticking out from the wreckage, sneering. It's just... sooo weeeird and random. There is like 10 different things Skinner could have done but he chooses that?

William exploding people was surprisingly entertaining. And out of nowhere. It's like Carter watched "Stranger Things" and wanted to one-up Eleven.

newfan
03-23-2018, 12:07 PM
The thing is, they don't even attempt to explain it. Scully was declared infertile in season 5 of the show... and her and Mulder even tried in vitro fertilization to no luck. It's like Chris Carter completely forgot that and someone, maybe a PA, ran on and suggested they give Scully a couple of extra lines like, "I don't know how" and "I don't know, it just is."

The Skinner incident is crazy. He shoots Reyes in the head (it LOOKS like... though it kind of looks like the bullet could have maybe just grazed her skull a little... they definitely didn't want to commit either way) then Smoking Man drives fast toward Skinner to try and ram him to death. Skinner freaks out and, like, jumps under the car that Smoking Man's car is about to hit, then gets scrunched under there. The last time you see Skinner, Smoking Man is, like, looking down at Skinner's little feet sticking out from the wreckage, sneering. It's just... sooo weeeird and random. There is like 10 different things Skinner could have done but he chooses that?

William exploding people was surprisingly entertaining. And out of nowhere. It's like Carter watched "Stranger Things" and wanted to one-up Eleven.

Skinner couldn't have met a different end? you know, more meaningful/action-like or something :) I don't remember Mulder and Scully trying to conceive, I'm sure I watched them all, maybe I missed one... or was it in that movie later on? I remember her being infertile.
Similar lines to before though 'I don't know how'

William exploding people? seems to have a lot powers going on there, guess they wanted to beef it up a bit.

Sumac
03-23-2018, 12:22 PM
At this point they might as well make a spin-off about William. Won't be the first time for Carter to do story about people with paranormal abilities.

Ah, BTW final episode, was kind of "finalish".
All major characters are either dead or ready to turn a new page in their lives.

Of course, it felt very very rushed like all "Mythology" episodes in the last 2 seasons, but at least it was more or less coherent.

Andrew NDB
03-23-2018, 12:24 PM
At this point they might as well make a spin-off about William. Won't be the first time for Carter to do story about people with paranormal abilities.

That would actually be the soundest option, at this point. The kid's not a bad actor, to boot. Though the character is kind of a walking deus ex machina now... he can alter his form to appear to people however and whenever he wants -- basically a shapeshifter -- he can explode anyone he wants with his mind and he is apparently bulletproof as well? This is too much.

Sumac
03-23-2018, 12:42 PM
That would actually be the soundest option, at this point. The kid's not a bad actor, to boot. Though the character is kind of a walking deus ex machina now... he can alter his form to appear to people however and whenever he wants -- basically a shapeshifter -- he can explode anyone he wants with his mind and he is apparently bulletproof as well? This is too much.
Yeah I actually liked his actor, which is atypical, since I usually do not like young actors at all. As for his powers, X-files is a world with bunch of crazy ****, I think, if they really commit to it, they will figure out something.

Andrew NDB
03-23-2018, 08:06 PM
Gillian expresses her dislike of the finale. Sort of.

http://www.toofab.com/2018/03/23/x-files-gillian-anderson-hated-the-season-11-finale

dl316bh
03-24-2018, 01:24 AM
Haven't watched this yet - I'll get to it eventually - but I heard something about Reyes being involved somehow, which surprises me. They ever bother mentioning Doggett, too? Or does Robert Patrick not exist in this dojo anymore?

Of course, it felt very very rushed like all "Mythology" episodes in the last 2 seasons, but at least it was more or less coherent.
"Rushed" might even be a fair assessment of late season mythology episodes even in the original X-Files show. I remember it was somewhere around season seven where the mythology arc episodes really started disappearing up their own ass, maybe even earlier. I don't know if Carter just never knew where he was going with it all or if his skill as a writer/showrunner just deteriorated enough over the years that he could never really get what he wanted across well.

Andrew NDB
03-24-2018, 01:33 AM
Haven't watched this yet - I'll get to it eventually - but I heard something about Reyes being involved somehow, which surprises me.

Why would it be surprising? She was Smoking Man's #1 even in the last season two years ago as well.

They ever bother mentioning Doggett, too? Or does Robert Patrick not exist in this dojo anymore?

Unless I missed one, I don't think he even got a mention or nod this season OR last.

"Rushed" might even be a fair assessment of late season mythology episodes even in the original X-Files show. I remember it was somewhere around season seven where the mythology arc episodes really started disappearing up their own ass, maybe even earlier. I don't know if Carter just never knew where he was going with it all or if his skill as a writer/showrunner just deteriorated enough over the years that he could never really get what he wanted across well.

Somewhere within that, probably. Or his ideas were getting bigger while the budgets were getting smaller. I know he genuinely did want to do the big 2012 "day of alien invasion" movie, but no one would fund it.

dl316bh
03-24-2018, 01:55 AM
Why would it be surprising? She was Smoking Man's #1 even in the last season two years ago as well.
I haven't watched any of the continuation seasons yet. Kind of passed me by. It surprises me on a base level because I'm not sure I expected they'd bring anything from the last two original seasons back for the reunion stuff. They're not exactly the seasons most people remember well.

Unless I missed one, I don't think he even got a mention or nod this season OR last.
That's kind of a shame. If you're going to use Reyes, you'd think you'd at least mention Doggett. The last two seasons of the original show were weak, but I liked Doggett well enough. It was interesting to me just to see Robert Patrick in a regular role. When I finally watched the original show on DVD, he was mainly doing short guest stints on TV shows of the time, like Burn Notice.

Somewhere within that, probably. Or his ideas were getting bigger while the budgets were getting smaller. I know he genuinely did want to do the big 2012 "day of alien invasion" movie, but no one would fund it.
I remember him talking it up for years. It's kind of strange he threw it away when he finally did get to continue the show, but then, it was years after 2012 by that point, so I guess he probably figured the moment was gone.

Andrew NDB
03-24-2018, 01:59 AM
That's kind of a shame. If you're going to use Reyes, you'd think you'd at least mention Doggett. The last two seasons of the original show were weak, but I liked Doggett well enough.

I, too, was hoping for the return of Doggett, or at least something. But I was also greedy... I hoped to also see the two detectives from "I Want to Believe" show up as well. Which is ironic, since the only reason those two detectives were created was because they couldn't get Doggett and Reyes for the movie. But they were endearing.

If you are hoping for a return of the Lone Gunmen, there is SOMETHING of that in this latest season. I actually found it more depressing than had there been nothing of it at all, though.

I remember him talking it up for years. It's kind of strange he threw it away when he finally did get to continue the show, but then, it was years after 2012 by that point, so I guess he probably figured the moment was gone.

The previous season 2 years ago, they mention that the 2012 invasion was only delayed... which gave me hope. I think if they spent the final 3 episodes of X-Files on some kind of full-on, Independence Day-style alien invasion that would have been incredible. Like, "Whoaa... finally... the payoff!" But it ends like it begins... half-answers and more questions.

newfan
03-27-2018, 03:37 PM
The previous season 2 years ago, they mention that the 2012 invasion was only delayed... which gave me hope. I think if they spent the final 3 episodes of X-Files on some kind of full-on, Independence Day-style alien invasion that would have been incredible. Like, "Whoaa... finally... the payoff!" But it ends like it begins... half-answers and more questions.

Yeah that would have been good, had they not been indecisive about continuing we might have gotten it.
They doubled up and finished it this week, just watched it. I needed that to have been 2 eps and not have the organ drinking people we got in the last ep. Over all it was enjoyable and felt like x-files, just the things pointed out already.
I wonder if: (we still doing spoilers?)

William caused Scully's body to become pregnant, to help her let him go, I know that sounds a little cheesy but still, he did want her to do that. Hurtful for Mulder and Scully to find William wasn't Mulders. Also, he's not kill-able then, William? As for the idea of him carrying on, he could but as you pointed out all ready, is he a bit much?

ProphetofGanja
03-28-2018, 09:09 PM
Finally watched the finale last weekend and have had some time to get my thoughts on this season together...

Good Lord what a sh!tty two hours of television this last three episodes were. After the blood-drinking MOTW episode I thought Surely there's no way the finale can be worse than this, but boy was I proven wrong. The Mr. Chuckleteeth episode felt like classic X-Files in a lot of ways and was genuinely creepy, and the smart technology nightmare episode was decent but could have been great with a few simple tweaks. Like, I get that the writers wanted to see how long they could go without any dialogue between Mulder and Scully but they let that go on for way too long. There were some pretty great moments in the episode despite it all, though.

Chris Carter really has become the show's worst enemy, as demonstrated by the worst parts of the past two revival seasons. I can totally see someone starting a petition to do one more, for-real-final season with both Duchovny and Anderson, with the stipulation that Carter stay far, far away.