PDA

View Full Version : Metal is easier to slice

Yabuturtle
04-22-2017, 05:54 PM
I always wondered that, especially in the old tmnt show. There were numerous times where the Turtles had no problem cutting metal with their weapons. Even slicing down thick metal doors, but apparently they have a hard time cutting or damaging rock like Tragg or the rock soldiers. Even Mike used his nunchucks to shatter metal in episode 2 Enter the Shredder. They can cut down the foot soldiers as well of course. The only time I've seen them have trouble with metal is when they were fighting Chrome Drome and that's because he was made of adamantium. They cut through Krang's android body too

Why is metal easier to cut than rock? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

IndigoErth
04-22-2017, 06:16 PM
I know, you'd think rock would at least crack, depending on what it's made of.

I kind of love the absurdity of this show though. Where almost anything will explode if Donnie just hits it once or twice with his bo, whether or not it should even be capable.

On the subject at hand, my rewatch just got into the European vacation eps., where in the first one, Shredder just slices through a big steel beam of the Eiffel Tower with stick of wood as if it were nothing. Steel beam, broken. Skinny piece of wood...just fine. Physics does not exist in that world.

Powder
04-22-2017, 08:07 PM
As with just about anything the OT did, it's best not to read too much into it. :tlol:

Coola Yagami
04-22-2017, 09:07 PM
It's not so much an OT thing, it's a cartoon thing in general. For whatever reason, swords and other sharp weapons just so happen to sharp enough to slice through whatever needs to be cut. They only ever break or bend whenever the story calls for it.

It's similar to no matter how silly or stupid it would look in real life... swords and whatnot always seem to land blade-first whenever they're knocked away from the person holding it and are somehow so sharp they stab themselves into the ground, when in reality it would just fall on its side or something.

Netkeeper
04-25-2017, 04:45 PM
I remember Peter Laird complaining whenever metal was being sliced by swords in the 4kids script emails he posted on his blog. Just like how he'd always complain about bad spelling and referring to the Shredder as just "Shredder"

It's one of those things the majority of people are willing to overlook in fiction for whatever reason, probably because they were exposed to it before learning otherwise, if I were to take a quick guess. idk about rocks though that bothers me

Andrew NDB
04-25-2017, 04:46 PM
As with just about anything the OT did, it's best not to read too much into it. :tlol:

This is the only sound response.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
04-26-2017, 03:18 PM
Always think it must hurt whenever the turtles, usually barefoot, kick or punch a robot or someone wearing an armour in combat. :)

Candy Kappa
04-26-2017, 03:32 PM
Cartoon logic.

Andrew NDB
04-26-2017, 04:01 PM
Where almost anything will explode if Donnie just hits it once or twice with his bo, whether or not it should even be capable.

By the way, give that a try. Pick up a wooden staff or metal pole, and smack it against a hard surface as hard as you can. That HURTS your hands/arms! Terribly!

pferreira
04-27-2017, 01:15 PM
Where almost anything will explode if Donnie just hits it once or twice with his bo, whether or not it should even be capableActually in Planet of the Turtleoids his Bo breaks when he hits Chrome Dome with it so they at least made some attempt at physics there. :)

IndigoErth
04-27-2017, 04:38 PM
True, it does break occasionally instead. Each one having been his "favorite bo." Donnie goes through lots of favorites. lol