PDA

View Full Version : TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan

Peter Palmer
04-22-2017, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure if anyone cares, but I picked up TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan for Xbox 360 today from Target. It was on clearance for $11.98. If you're still rocking a last-gen console like me and you're interested in the game, it may be worth a trip to Target.

Allio
04-23-2017, 12:33 AM
I was really disappointed in this, I really wanted my idw videogame. it was only idw in asthetic only.

Turo602
04-23-2017, 04:37 AM
I was really disappointed too, but only because my expectations were set too high and that's probably got to do with the way the trailers presented the game. I was hoping for something in the vein of Batman: Arkham City, with an open-world design and awesome linear story, but unfortunately, it was just another turtles beat 'em up.

However, what's there isn't really bad either. As far as TMNT games go, this one is pretty good. Combat is good even if not too deep, the more open-levels are a lot of fun to traverse, and the bosses are extremely fun. They got the charm of the franchise down and the Turtles' personalities are on point. The randomized objectives also give the game a lot of replay value as you'll constantly be doing different things in each stage during different playthroughs.

Though, had it not been rushed, I think it could have been really amazing. It would have definitely benefited from more levels, more level and enemy variety (purple dragons and triceratons come to mind), vehicular combat stages, and cool extras like a Mirage comics filter, unlockable playable characters, and alternate skins from different eras. Only then would it have been worthy of full retail price. It just sucks that we'll never see anything special done with this franchise as a video game. It's always gotta be tied to something else and ends up falling short because of it. Platinum is a great developer and given what they did with the little they had to work with, I think they could make a great TMNT game. If we're not gonna get something like the Batman games, at least make the beat 'em up formula work to its fullest potential.

turtlefanforever
05-11-2017, 07:41 PM
I was really disappointed in this, I really wanted my idw videogame. it was only idw in asthetic only.

How?! Tom waltz wrote the damn thing!!

CyberCubed
05-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Well it wasn't actually part of IDW continuity, just loosely based on it. Same reason Armaggon and Wingnut were bosses in this game whereas they have no real appearances in IDW, Wingnut only a small cameo in the comic.

ProphetofGanja
05-12-2017, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I would have bought it if it was presented as at least like an alternate universe IDW TMNT, where instead of the events of the comics the events of the games happened. Maybe Shredder and Krang actually teaming up, something. I don't know why they would use the IDW art style but then include Armaggon and Wingnut

eskater
08-03-2017, 09:34 AM
I was really disappointed too, but only because my expectations were set too high and that's probably got to do with the way the trailers presented the game. I was hoping for something in the vein of Batman: Arkham City, with an open-world design and awesome linear story, but unfortunately, it was just another turtles beat 'em up.

However, what's there isn't really bad either. As far as TMNT games go, this one is pretty good. Combat is good even if not too deep, the more open-levels are a lot of fun to traverse, and the bosses are extremely fun. They got the charm of the franchise down and the Turtles' personalities are on point. The randomized objectives also give the game a lot of replay value as you'll constantly be doing different things in each stage during different playthroughs.

Though, had it not been rushed, I think it could have been really amazing. It would have definitely benefited from more levels, more level and enemy variety (purple dragons and triceratons come to mind), vehicular combat stages, and cool extras like a Mirage comics filter, unlockable playable characters, and alternate skins from different eras. Only then would it have been worthy of full retail price. It just sucks that we'll never see anything special done with this franchise as a video game. It's always gotta be tied to something else and ends up falling short because of it. Platinum is a great developer and given what they did with the little they had to work with, I think they could make a great TMNT game. If we're not gonna get something like the Batman games, at least make the beat 'em up formula work to its fullest potential.

They really did rush the F out of this game honestly. I think the biggest letdown I keep hearing from a lot of people from the beginning (aside from how short it is) is there was no true multiplayer, just a online version of it. It really limits the replay value some because of it too.
FYI I bought this when it came out, no ragrats.

RaphaelinSTL
08-18-2017, 01:57 PM
FYI I bought this when it came out, no ragrats.

Same ... I mean, I liked it ... but it had SO MUCH MORE potential to be better than it actually was.

I know some people might bawk at this idea ... but I really wish that the TMNT games would return to a traditional 2D, beat-em-up style of game play. Falling in love with Sonic Mania this week made me really yearn for classic TMNT style of video games.

The FW series does get a lot of attention (some would say too much) but I would love for a new TMNT game to be such a nostalgia trip within that world. I think it would make more sense to do FW in a retro style since it would capture more attention possibly ... but give us different downloadable skins (1990 film, 2003 series, Mirage, 2012) and possibly different levels to play in that represent those eras.

Hopefully Activision doesn't renew the license (if they already dropped it by now) and TMNT falls in the hands of people who actually want to make something just a little bit more substantial.

Andrew NDB
08-18-2017, 01:59 PM
I know some people might bawk at this idea ... but I really wish that the TMNT games would return to a traditional 2D, beat-em-up style of game play.

Terrible idea. We can balk at it or not, but no one is going to buy such a thing in 2017. Super tiny business model consisting of maybe 1,000 nostalgiacs and hipsters.

RaphaelinSTL
08-18-2017, 02:11 PM
Terrible idea. We can balk at it or not, but no one is going to buy such a thing in 2017. Super tiny business model consisting of maybe 1,000 nostalgiacs and hipsters.

Ha ... speak of the devil!

Count me in that number then of the nostalgic hipsters. I just think most attempts to transfer TMNT over into new styles of gaming haven't really payed off in their favor, is it a matter of the wrong teams behind them ... or rushing development? Probably a combination of both, but returning to a winning formula isn't as horrible of an idea as some might suggest.

Guess the important thing is to look towards the future ... since MIM bombed as much as it did, I don't see another TMNT game hitting consoles for awhile.

Andrew NDB
08-18-2017, 02:32 PM
is it a matter of the wrong teams behind them ... or rushing development? Probably a combination of both

Neither, really. They start production on these kinds of games, banking on there being a ton of pre-orders to finish the production. The pre-orders never really happen (in TMNT's case, probably because the last slew of games have been back-to-back terrible) so they just quickly wrap up what they have somehow and throw it out there, cutting their losses.

Not that any TMNT game really, well, ever has been a passion project for anyone involved. At least MIM bothered to hire Tom Waltz, for whatever he was allowed to inject.

but returning to a winning formula isn't as horrible of an idea as some might suggest.

A "winning formula" from 1992 is only going to win with people who remember being Final Fight-clone crazy in 1992 (and even then, maybe for only 5 minutes, when the nostalgia wears off and they remember how mind-numbingly repetitive those games were). Those games will not register with any new fans.

Guess the important thing is to look towards the future ... since MIM bombed as much as it did, I don't see another TMNT game hitting consoles for awhile.

Yeah, it's not really a coveted license right now.

RaphaelinSTL
08-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Neither, really. They start production on these kinds of games, banking on there being a ton of pre-orders to finish the production. The pre-orders never really happen (in TMNT's case, probably because the last slew of games have been back-to-back terrible) so they just quickly wrap up what they have somehow and throw it out there, cutting their losses.

Not that any TMNT game really, well, ever has been a passion project for anyone involved. At least MIM bothered to hire Tom Waltz, for whatever he was allowed to inject.

A "winning formula" from 1992 is only going to win with people who remember being Final Fight-clone crazy in 1992 (and even then, maybe for only 5 minutes, when the nostalgia wears off and they remember how mind-numbingly repetitive those games were). Those games will not register with any new fans.

Yeah, it's not really a coveted license right now.

All completely solid points. To me though ... those older games never felt mind-numbingly repetitive, but I see your point. Did you ever get your hands on that Transformers: Devastation game from Platinum? The two feel similar to an extent, but T : D has FAR more re-playable value in it that MIM barely scratched. I never really considered the pre-order factor into the gaming development process.

Powder
08-18-2017, 05:07 PM
A retro-styled beat 'em up with 2D sprites a'la Turtles In Time WOULD be a hit, as an indie download title. Fact.

DevilSpooky
08-19-2017, 10:28 AM

This just proves how out of the loop you really are, you just live in your own little world and have no clue of what's going on in the video game scene, retro is the all the rage in the industry right now, even more so now that Sonic Mania managed to break the Sonic curse and the Crash trilogy being the best selling game for weeks in a row.

TigerClaw
08-19-2017, 10:45 AM
This just proves how out of the loop you really are, you just live in your own little world and have no clue of what's going on in the video game scene, retro is the all the rage in the industry right now, even more so now that Sonic Mania managed to break the Sonic curse and the Crash trilogy being the best selling game for weeks in a row.
Yeah, I can totally see a new TMNT game done in the same retro style, I know a lot of people including myself, are fans of the original Konami games, so it would be cool if someone did a new TMNT game in those styles.

Ninjinister
08-19-2017, 01:06 PM
A retro-styled beat 'em up with 2D sprites a'la Turtles In Time WOULD be a hit, as an indie download title. Fact.

Y'know, as long as it wasn't a borefest like that recent Power Rangers title. I had such high hopes for that....

oldmanwinters
08-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Y'know, as long as it wasn't a borefest like that recent Power Rangers title. I had such high hopes for that....

What was this? Was it branded with the ol' Mighty Morphin' designation?

DevilSpooky
08-20-2017, 05:12 PM
What was this? Was it branded with the ol' Mighty Morphin' designation?

c3ns1RYdQhU

Ninjinister
08-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Yeah, that's the one. I couldn't remember the name.

It has some cool ideas, but it is like the developers had never played a brawler before and didn't know what made them appealing.

oldmanwinters
08-20-2017, 07:41 PM
Yeah, that's the one. I couldn't remember the name.

It has some cool ideas, but it is like the developers had never played a brawler before and didn't know what made them appealing.

Well, to be fair, the original MMPR games back in the 90s weren't great brawlers either! :tcool:

eskater
08-21-2017, 07:43 AM
c3ns1RYdQhU

I didn't even know this came out.....

Andrew NDB
08-21-2017, 10:24 AM

It would be a "hit" in a niche market of aging gamers. It wouldn't move the needle in the way a new modern console installment would meaningfully, not even remotely.

Where are the numbers? These retro hipster "I'm in my 30s or 40s and I miss when games were 8 bit and side-scrolling" games are cornering a niche market. They're super cheap to make so any of them being a "hit" is a relative term with them. There's no way, say, "Mega Man 10" is doing the latest "Assassin's Creed" numbers, or anything. There is 0 appeal to anyone outside of our approximate generation.

eskater
08-21-2017, 12:44 PM
Where are the numbers? These retro hipster "I'm in my 30s or 40s and I miss when games were 8 bit and side-scrolling" games are cornering a niche market. They're super cheap to make so any of them being a "hit" is a relative term with them. There's no way, say, "Mega Man 10" is doing the latest "Assassin's Creed" numbers, or anything. There is 0 appeal to anyone outside of our approximate generation.

Could be a reason why a lot of old franchises are dying off honestly.....personally I think a lot of consoles are sort of dying off bit by bit honestly. A lot of people are playing on their smart-phones anyway.

Ninjinister
08-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Well, to be fair, the original MMPR games back in the 90s weren't great brawlers either! :tcool:

I'd say the Genesis movie one was decent. Not great, but certainly better than this and say like... Batman Forever arcade and TMNT Arcade Attack.

Andrew NDB
08-21-2017, 12:58 PM
Could be a reason why a lot of old franchises are dying off honestly.....personally I think a lot of consoles are sort of dying off bit by bit honestly. A lot of people are playing on their smart-phones anyway.

My personal thinking is that as graphics and gaming technology has gotten to a point where it's all so intensive, there is soooo many people involved, it's taking longer and longer to offer new installments at a reasonable pace more and more as time goes on.

I mean, sh*t. 7 years between Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy XV? 7 years between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Odyssey? 10 years between Metroid Prime 3 and 4? It's been over 3 years since the last CastleVania game, and no new game is on the horizon? This is insanity.

When I was a kid it was like 1-2 years tops between games and that felt like forever. I don't know how young/new gamers are able to get hooked into any of this anymore.

eskater
08-21-2017, 01:50 PM
My personal thinking is that as graphics and gaming technology has gotten to a point where it's all so intensive, there is soooo many people involved, it's taking longer and longer to offer new installments at a reasonable pace more and more as time goes on.

I mean, sh*t. 7 years between Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy XV? 7 years between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Odyssey? 10 years between Metroid Prime 3 and 4? It's been over 3 years since the last CastleVania game, and no new game is on the horizon? This is insanity.

When I was a kid it was like 1-2 years tops between games and that felt like forever. I don't know how young/new gamers are able to get hooked into any of this anymore.

In between those good and awesome games nowadays are a lot of flops honestly....it's probably better to wait these days IMO. Plus online multiplayer I hear ties a lot of stuff over.

Cure
08-21-2017, 07:37 PM
7 years between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Odyssey?

You need to get over this odd line of thinking; the last main Mario game was 3D World.

eskater
08-21-2017, 07:48 PM
You need to get over this odd line of thinking; the last main Mario game was 3D World.

Wasn't a bad game either

Ninjinister
08-21-2017, 11:48 PM
Not just not bad, it was probably my second favorite Wii U game after Smash, and probably one of my top 5 favorites in the last 5 years.

eskater
08-22-2017, 07:40 AM
Not just not bad, it was probably my second favorite Wii U game after Smash, and probably one of my top 5 favorites in the last 5 years.

Definitely a game to have in the short WiiU library :tlol:

DevilSpooky
08-22-2017, 05:32 PM
It would be a "hit" in a niche market of aging gamers. It wouldn't move the needle in the way a new modern console installment would meaningfully, not even remotely.

And there you go again, seriously, if you have no idea what you're talking about then just don't, or at least try to educate yourself before you do it.

Just go look at the best selling games on XBOX Live/Steam/PSN, most of the weeks it's a retro/retro style game as the top seller, like I said the Crash Trilogy has been number one ever since it came out, Sonic Mania is selling really well and it's the best rated Sonic game in 15 years. And Mega Man 10 just sucks, no one wants that, and FYI, not doing crazy numbers doesn't = flop.

Really?

There has been 7 brand new Mario games since Galaxy (not counting non platform ones) including Galaxy 2.

FF XIV got trough a revamp that made it a brand new game, not only that but FFXV suffered a lot trough development so it took longer to come out, also, a lot of other non numbered FF games where released during those years.

Metroid like Mario had other released, 3 brand new ones between Prime 3 and 4.

Castlevania like every other Konami property that's not PES is dead and nothing will ever come out ever again (unless you count that horrible NOT-MGS game.

And games like COD, AC, and countless others are released on a yearly basis, it's like you don't know WTH you're talking about.... :trolleye:

Ninjinister
08-22-2017, 06:55 PM
And there you go again, seriously, if you have no idea what you're talking about then just don't, or at least try to educate yourself before you do it.

Just go look at the best selling games on XBOX Live/Steam/PSN, most of the weeks it's a retro/retro style game as the top seller, like I said the Crash Trilogy has been number one ever since it came out, Sonic Mania is selling really well and it's the best rated Sonic game in 15 years. And Mega Man 10 just sucks, no one wants that, and FYI, not doing crazy numbers doesn't = flop.

Really?

There has been 7 brand new Mario games since Galaxy (not counting non platform ones) including Galaxy 2.

FF XIV got trough a revamp that made it a brand new game, not only that but FFXV suffered a lot trough development so it took longer to come out, also, a lot of other non numbered FF games where released during those years.

Metroid like Mario had other released, 3 brand new ones between Prime 3 and 4.

Castlevania like every other Konami property that's not PES is dead and nothing will ever come out ever again (unless you count that horrible NOT-MGS game.

And games like COD, AC, and countless others are released on a yearly basis, it's like you don't know WTH you're talking about.... :trolleye:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/3b/ba/44/3bba4469769abafe61059ecb959f79ed--what-next-what-is.jpg

pferreira
08-24-2017, 10:16 AM
I know some people might bawk at this idea ... but I really wish that the TMNT games would return to a traditional 2D, beat-em-up style of game play. Falling in love with Sonic Mania this week made me really yearn for classic TMNT style of video games.That would be great. They should make a new beat'em but tie it into the FW series explicitly. I'd love to see a faithful recreation of the FW series as a game.

Terrible idea. We can balk at it or not, but no one is going to buy such a thing in 2017. Super tiny business model consisting of maybe 1,000 nostalgiacs and hipsters.The way you talk it's almost like Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight, Super Meatboy etc never happened. As Mikey might say "get with the program dude!" :lol:

This just proves how out of the loop you really are, you just live in your own little world and have no clue of what's going on in the video game scene, retro is the all the rage in the industry right now, even more so now that Sonic Mania managed to break the Sonic curse and the Crash trilogy being the best selling game for weeks in a row.Retro games do really well, yes Andrew doesn't make much sense when he says they don't sell.

Well, to be fair, the original MMPR games back in the 90s weren't great brawlers either! :tcool:The first Snes game based of MMPR was good, the Mega Drive game based off the movie was pretty good as well.

There's no way, say, "Mega Man 10" is doing the latest "Assassin's Creed" numbers, or anything. There is 0 appeal to anyone outside of our approximate generation.Assassin's Creed was at the height of it's popularity when MM 10 came out and from what I understand it wasn't that great a game. You've unintentionally raised a really good point which is that games like AC and COD are slowly doing poorly due to saturation. No one really wants more of those games either judging by sales and reviews.

Avenger
08-25-2017, 01:03 PM
What I don't understand, is why is a world where we have games like God of war, Dynasty Warriors or Batman Arkham, we can't have a properly 3D beat-them-all TMNT game.

MIM is good, but not great enough to remains in memories.

Of course, critics could say "This is a God of War rip-off" but... so what? (and I'm not talking about the blood and gore, but more about the gameplay mechanics)

I heard the studio in charge reproduced Crash Bandicoot games for PS4 trilogy from scratch, so don't tell me a studio can't properly reproduce gameplay fighting mechanics.

PS: Ok, Batman isn't a beat-them-all, but there is still a lot of fights in the game.

DevilSpooky
08-27-2017, 10:41 AM
What I don't understand, is why is a world where we have games like God of war, Dynasty Warriors or Batman Arkham, we can't have a properly 3D beat-them-all TMNT game.

MIM is good, but not great enough to remains in memories.

Of course, critics could say "This is a God of War rip-off" but... so what? (and I'm not talking about the blood and gore, but more about the gameplay mechanics)

I heard the studio in charge reproduced Crash Bandicoot games for PS4 trilogy from scratch, so don't tell me a studio can't properly reproduce gameplay fighting mechanics.

PS: Ok, Batman isn't a beat-them-all, but there is still a lot of fights in the game.

Because TMNT is a licensed property, and those always get low budgets, you need big money to create something really good, that and for better and for worse TMNT is a kid's property, they won't waste huge budgets on something that sells on name alone...

And you already have a Batman Arkham TMNT clone, not as good but there's no denying the similarities between Out of the Shadows and Batman...

pferreira
08-31-2017, 10:58 AM
Because TMNT is a licensed property, and those always get low budgets, you need big money to create something really good, that and for better and for worse TMNT is a kid's property, they won't waste huge budgets on something that sells on name alone...To be fair Batman is a licenced property as well.

TigerClaw
08-31-2017, 11:14 AM
Because TMNT is a licensed property, and those always get low budgets, you need big money to create something really good, that and for better and for worse TMNT is a kid's property, they won't waste huge budgets on something that sells on name alone...

And you already have a Batman Arkham TMNT clone, not as good but there's no denying the similarities between Out of the Shadows and Batman...
Batman is a license property too, but the thing is, the developers working on those games respect the source material, since its a very well known property that requires a lot of attention.

TMNT is a license property, but has the stigma that its a kids property, which is why they don't pay much attention to the source material, since there are so many different incarnations of it, they just come up with there own, Mutants in Manhattan is its own thing, even though the art looks inspired by IDW.

LeotheLateBloomer
08-31-2017, 12:43 PM
there are so many different incarnations of it, they just come up with there own

There are more incarnations of Batman and Telltale is doing there own take on the origin. It's more so the specifics that are different.

Andrew NDB
08-31-2017, 01:06 PM
Retro games do really well, yes Andrew doesn't make much sense when he says they don't sell.

Assassin's Creed was at the height of it's popularity when MM 10 came out and from what I understand it wasn't that great a game. You've unintentionally raised a really good point which is that games like AC and COD are slowly doing poorly due to saturation. No one really wants more of those games either judging by sales and reviews.

OK, shut me up... show me the numbers, man. I want to see where Mega Man 9 or 10 or Double Dragon 4 outsold the latest Assassin's Creed or Arkham Knight or whatever.

Powder
08-31-2017, 02:11 PM
They definitely never did, but games like that are equivalent to indie comics. It's foolish to compare them to the big 2, but in their class they perform very well. I dunno why you insist there isn't a market for them, you're outta yer element! :tlol:

Andrew NDB
08-31-2017, 02:20 PM
They definitely never did, but games like that are equivalent to indie comics. It's foolish to compare them to the big 2, but in their class they perform very well. I dunno why you insist there isn't a market for them, you're outta yer element! :tlol:

Oh, there's a niche market for them, sure, which is nicely offset by the next to nothing budgets of these.

Where people are fooling themselves, I see, is this idea that some kind of Final Fight clone/Turtles in Time Again new TMNT game in 2017 is going to put TMNT back on the map with video games and video gamers at large. It's not, not remotely. It's going to placate the people in their 30s and 40s that miss that soothing "simpler time" where it was OK that every game was a 2-button Final Fight knockoff. It'd make a modest profit, but nothing to write home about and would connect with exactly 0% of newer, younger video gamers. Maybe as a cell phone game with at least a little bit of substance to it.

Cure
08-31-2017, 03:16 PM
And then on the other end of the spectrum you have people who keep wishing for some big AAA Ninja Turtles game, like Arkham! Like it's ever going to happen.

There's a happy medium where a good Ninja Turtles game belongs, it's just no developer has found it yet.

Powder
08-31-2017, 03:25 PM
Oh, there's a niche market for them, sure, which is nicely offset by the next to nothing budgets of these.

Where people are fooling themselves, I see, is this idea that some kind of Final Fight clone/Turtles in Time Again new TMNT game in 2017 is going to put TMNT back on the map with video games and video gamers at large. It's not, not remotely. It's going to placate the people in their 30s and 40s that miss that soothing "simpler time" where it was OK that every game was a 2-button Final Fight knockoff. It'd make a modest profit, but nothing to write home about and would connect with exactly 0% of newer, younger video gamers. Maybe as a cell phone game with at least a little bit of substance to it.

Who really thinks that, though? I think the argument has simply been that it would be very well received by indie game players & most TMNT fans. Not that it's gonna be a sponge for soaking up the COD crowd or something. That's just silly. :tlol:

CyberCubed
08-31-2017, 04:25 PM
I think people are just unaware how popular indie 2D games like Shovel Knight, Shantae, etc. have been for years. As well as new 2D versions of old franchises like Sonic Mania, Megaman 9 and 10, Metroid II remake, New Super Mario Bros, etc.

To say there's no interest in old-school 2D type games is just plain wrong. These games light up the sales charts constantly. We even got the return of Donkey Kong Country on Wii and Wii-U with two sequels that were critically acclaimed.

TigerClaw
08-31-2017, 04:47 PM
There are more incarnations of Batman and Telltale is doing there own take on the origin. It's more so the specifics that are different.
I think Telltale could make a good TMNT game, there games are story driven, and TMNT does have good stories that they can tell.

LeotheLateBloomer
08-31-2017, 11:02 PM
As cool as that sounds, you're completely missing the point.

What I'm saying is that Batman has had a lot more incarnations than the turtles do and they also alter certain aspects of the origin. I brought up Telltale because they made a lot of noticeable changes to that version.

Andrew NDB
09-01-2017, 01:06 AM
Who really thinks that, though? I think the argument has simply been that it would be very well received by indie game players & most TMNT fans. Not that it's gonna be a sponge for soaking up the COD crowd or something. That's just silly. :tlol:

Apparently at least a few folks around here. That's all I'm saying.

And then on the other end of the spectrum you have people who keep wishing for some big AAA Ninja Turtles game, like Arkham! Like it's ever going to happen.

There's a happy medium where a good Ninja Turtles game belongs, it's just no developer has found it yet.

And won't anytime soon. The last two forays, "Out of the Shadows" and "Mutants in Manhattan" both tanked. Though it's not entirely their fault... they just had a puzzling business model attached, possibly.

Powder
09-01-2017, 02:13 AM
Let's be honest- they both sucked.

eskater
09-01-2017, 08:23 AM
I think Telltale could make a good TMNT game, there games are story driven, and TMNT does have good stories that they can tell.

I'd be up for a Telltale version of the TMNT for sure!

Ninjinister
09-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Of course we're not gonna see anything anytime soon. We don't even know who has the license, and we're likely to not even get that until Rise information starts coming out.

People are either expecting too much or too little from a new TMNT game, and that includes the developers and probably to a degree, myself. Like Cure said, a happy medium is where it's at.

Everyone seems to want a new brawler, and although there's still a market for them, they seem to be notoriously hard for developers to pin down what makes them entertaining. The last well-received brawler I can remember was Double Dragon Neon. That game had a good engine, was fun, and tapped nostalgia but more as a loving parody of brawlers and the 80s in general instead of just cutting and pasting certain elements. It's what Double Dragon 4 failed at hard... ArkSys just took the NES Double Dragons (which have aged horribly) and built new levels around the exact same structure. Likewise, TMNT: Arcade Attack tried so hard to invoke those familiar with the arcade games to the point where it's even in the bloody name... but they were like "Look! You can throw enemies at the screen! Foot Soldiers are different colors!" and then they didn't craft anything resembling a playable piece of software.

Honestly WayForward should have just taken what they did on DD Neon and make Danger of the Ooze a spiritual successor to that, instead of making it the most dull "Metroidvania" I've ever played.

Heading into other genres could be a viable option, but TMNT has not had a lot of success that way. The console/PC game based on the 2007 film wasn't critically acclaimed but it did well enough on certain platforms to hit the Greatest Hits and equivalent status. That's probably the best example of an attempt, and really it was just Prince of Persia Lite. Mutants in Manhattan tried to be Arkham but structured with levels... and just felt overambitious and incoherent (although I will say I still enjoyed it to a degree). Out of the Shadows was just a mess and didn't really know what it wanted to be.

Of course, the genre that this series revisits the most outside of brawlers, is fighting games. But again, there hasn't been a lot of critical success in that area either. The SNES Tournament Fighters is the only one that is widely considered to be "good" by any measure. And Activision missed the boat by skipping a "generation" of what had been tradition at that point. But then again looking at what fighters Activision has published in the past, maybe that's an act of mercy.... And as much as I really, really want a new TMNT fighter, you've got to have a team that understands the genre to make it worthwhile. Critically and/or commercially successful licensed fighters aren't impossible - see Capcom's (earlier) Marvel titles, NetherRealm's Injustice, and Ark Systems Works with the current darling (even though it's still in development), DragonBall FighterZ. But those have teams who have already cut their teeth on fighters again and again.

The important thing that both fans and developers need to realize though, is like pretty much anything, it can't be about what you want. It needs to be what the majority wants. And if that coincides with what you want, that's just serendipity.

Andrew NDB
09-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Of course we're not gonna see anything anytime soon. We don't even know who has the license, and we're likely to not even get that until Rise information starts coming out.

Probably nobody right now. Up for grabs, and no video game company particularly wants it.

Powder
09-01-2017, 02:15 PM
Honestly WayForward should have just taken what they did on DD Neon and make Danger of the Ooze a spiritual successor to that, instead of making it the most dull "Metroidvania" I've ever played.

Amen. How such a great company could do such a sub-par (to put it lightly) game is beyond me.

TigerClaw
09-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Amen. How such a great company could do such a sub-par (to put it lightly) game is beyond me.
Probably cause they were given a short amount of time to make a new TMNT game, and that was the best they could do with the time they had.

Powder
09-01-2017, 03:37 PM
Maybe, but I suspect if they'd gone a different route, they could've used that time more productively. Much props for how well they nailed the Nick series style & all, but the gameplay's gotta be up to snuff. Shoulda went with a pixel art style, for starters, as it's what they do best.

TigerClaw
09-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Maybe, but I suspect if they'd gone a different route, they could've used that time more productively. Much props for how well they nailed the Nick series style & all, but the gameplay's gotta be up to snuff. Shoulda went with a pixel art style, for starters, as it's what they do best.
True, but they were probably working on another game while at the same time doing that one, that's the problem these days, when a developer is given more then one game to work on, one of those games will suffer, cause the developer would be spending more time on one game then the other, especially if its a game that isn't a license property.

Cure
09-01-2017, 04:39 PM
I want a like, dungeon crawler. 4 player co-op, like Diablo. Raphael is the tank, drawing all the aggro. Leonardo provides buffs and debuffs. Michaelangelo gets in close for high damage, but has low defense. Donatello is the "mage" with elemental ninja stars and heals and stuff.

I dunno, could be neat, haha.

DevilSpooky
09-01-2017, 04:41 PM
To be fair Batman is a licenced property as well.

Batman is a license property too, but the thing is, the developers working on those games respect the source material, since its a very well known property that requires a lot of attention.

TMNT is a license property, but has the stigma that its a kids property, which is why they don't pay much attention to the source material, since there are so many different incarnations of it, they just come up with there own, Mutants in Manhattan is its own thing, even though the art looks inspired by IDW.

It is sure, but don't forget that the Arkham series is done in house, they're done by WB themselves (or at least one of their subsidiaries) and they own DC as well, not only that but the devs are huge fans of the property so they'll try their best at doing them justice, so you have more money invested because it's something they have all the interest in doing it properly + huge fans working on it, so it equals to a bether final product.

No one here is expecting that a retro game would do the numbers of a AC or a COD game, you're the one that's adamant that a game to be successfull has to make millions. What you don't seem to understand is that RETRO is the new hot thing on the video game world, and a retro style TMNT game COULD be a huge hit, not just for the "people in their 30s and 40s that miss that soothing "simpler time" but for everyone.

Again, for the past couple of months, for almost every week, the best selling game on most of the digital platforms (STEAM/PSN/XBOX LIVE) is a retro/retro styled game, so saying this is a niche market just proves how ignorant and out of your element you really are, and if you want numbers just look them up, lots of places you can check this info.

Ninjinister
09-01-2017, 07:53 PM
It is sure, but don't forget that the Arkham series is done in house, they're done by WB themselves (or at least one of their subsidiaries) and they own DC as well, not only that but the devs are huge fans of the property so they'll try their best at doing them justice, so you have more money invested because it's something they have all the interest in doing it properly + huge fans working on it, so it equals to a bether final product.

Essentially, either this, or folks like the Sonic Mania crew, who were fans + they knew how game design works.

pferreira
09-07-2017, 12:19 PM
OK, shut me up... show me the numbers, man. I want to see where Mega Man 9 or 10 or Double Dragon 4 outsold the latest Assassin's Creed or Arkham Knight or whatever.I didn't say they did. I'm saying you're expecting a retro made game to outsell triple A titles at the height of their popularity? I mean really??? :o

I think people are just unaware how popular indie 2D games like Shovel Knight, Shantae, etc. have been for years. As well as new 2D versions of old franchises like Sonic Mania, Megaman 9 and 10, Metroid II remake, New Super Mario Bros, etc.

To say there's no interest in old-school 2D type games is just plain wrong. These games light up the sales charts constantly. We even got the return of Donkey Kong Country on Wii and Wii-U with two sequels that were critically acclaimed.Yeah I mean it's very short sighted of Andrew to say that.

I'd be up for a Telltale version of the TMNT for sure!No thank you, they'd be no gameplay. I could just watch it on YouTube.

Who really thinks that, though? I think the argument has simply been that it would be very well received by indie game players & most TMNT fans. Not that it's gonna be a sponge for soaking up the COD crowd or something. That's just silly. :tlol:The thing is you have ask whether you want a triple A title with the TMNT name? If it sells badly there wouldn't be a game for years but what if it does well? Well every year they keep releasing subpar sequels and with so much money spent on them the slowly dwindling sales will mean that no one wants to go near that franchise again to create games. Andrew wants Arkham TMNT which would make it a hit to begin with but if it turns into COD or Assassin's Creed TMNT could be worse off in the long run.

RaphaelinSTL
09-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Yeah for sure ... I don't think anyone here has ever alluded to the fact that a retro style game would do insane numbers in terms of popular modern games at the retail price of $59.99 or higher these days.

Those old TMNT 2D brawlers are so universally praised that a really good retro game at the right price point with the look and aesthetic of the Konami games of old ... but feels like a genuine successor would certainly be something fans young and old would be into. If you are into those types of games at all is another question, I guess.

I wonder though if the next likely game we'll get will be a lighter release of something based on the upcoming Nick cartoon. :tconfuse: Although like most of have alluded to ... the last two games severely under performed so who knows when the next title may even get released.

Essentially, either this, or folks like the Sonic Mania crew, who were fans + they knew how game design works.

That's what I would love!

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-08-2017, 11:11 AM
I hate to tell the naysayers this; but yes, retro titles are hot, and are NOT just a niche market. The PC version of Sonic Mania sold 100,000 units in 3 days, it's the number one title on the Nintendo Switch, and the 1# in the UK right now. Crash Bandicoot and Sonic are battling for the 1# position right now on the play station. Just this past month, the retro titles outsold most of the big AAA titles by a wide margin. the only two PS4 titles to beat Sonic Mania were Madden and Hellblade. This is actually happening.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/08/sonic_mania_dashes_straight_to_the_top_of_the_swit ch_best_sellers_chart

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-08-21-was-sonic-mania-the-real-uk-no-1-last-week-p

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09/08/ps-store-augusts-top-downloads/

These games are made on a smaller budget, and with a shorter development time. Could you imagine what would happen if Konami got the license back, and made an upgraded 2d sequel to turtles in time? Or even if somebody else made a TMNT retro arcade style beat em' up, and followed the Konami model faithfully, we could have a mega hit on our hands.

The retro game boom is not just a hipster niche market, these games are SELLING!

TigerClaw
09-08-2017, 12:31 PM
I hate to tell the naysayers this; but yes, retro titles are hot, and are NOT just a niche market. The PC version of Sonic Mania sold 100,000 units in 3 days, it's the number one title on the Nintendo Switch, and the 1# in the UK right now. Crash Bandicoot and Sonic are battling for the 1# position right now on the play station. Just this past month, the retro titles outsold most of the big AAA titles by a wide margin. the only two PS4 titles to beat Sonic Mania were Madden and Hellblade. This is actually happening.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/08/sonic_mania_dashes_straight_to_the_top_of_the_swit ch_best_sellers_chart

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-08-21-was-sonic-mania-the-real-uk-no-1-last-week-p

These games are made on a smaller budget, and with a shorter development time. Could you imagine what would happen if Konami got the license back, and made an upgraded 2d sequel to turtles in time? Or even if somebody else made a TMNT retro arcade style beat em' up, and followed the Konami model faithfully, we could have a mega hit on our hands.

The retro game boom is not just a hipster niche market, these games are SELLING!
Very true, games like TMNT would be better suited as retro style games, for years they been trying to make TMNT games using the latest in graphics, but they all failed to capture the fun of the original games.

Andrew NDB
09-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Very true, games like TMNT would be better suited as retro style games, for years they been trying to make TMNT games using the latest in graphics, but they all failed to capture the fun of the original games.

Fun of the original games:

*mash* *mash* *mash* the same 2 buttons over and over again. Absolutely riveting... in 1990.

DevilSpooky
09-08-2017, 09:29 PM

And not forget that Hellblade is also a indie game, with a really small budget and made with a team of only 25 people, it's what they're calling a AAA indie title.

Forget Konami, they dig their hole and are lying there waiting for the rest to cover them up, they're dead and out of the game.

And forget about more TMNT games for the next couple of years, AAA or otherwise, with "luck" we might get a couple of P2W Smartphone Rise tie-in and that's it... :tgrumble:

Ninjinister
09-09-2017, 02:40 PM
I think what is important to realize is that outside of the troubles of getting a team that isn't garbage, the main problem is that TMNT isn't a guaranteed moneymaker anymore. Especially with the current show on its last episodes (and being treated like poo in its airing schedule), we'd have to see how Rise fares to know if a game will have the opportunity to be commercially successful.

I mean even if you did a 2D brawler that was well-received without a successful show on the air, you'd only be selling to nostalgia boner-strokers. And even then probably only if it was Fred Wolf only styled.

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-09-2017, 04:05 PM
I think what is important to realize is that outside of the troubles of getting a team that isn't garbage, the main problem is that TMNT isn't a guaranteed moneymaker anymore. Especially with the current show on its last episodes (and being treated like poo in its airing schedule), we'd have to see how Rise fares to know if a game will have the opportunity to be commercially successful.

I mean even if you did a 2D brawler that was well-received without a successful show on the air, you'd only be selling to nostalgia boner-strokers. And even then probably only if it was Fred Wolf only styled.

Ehhhh, you need to remember, the TMNT games were considered classics back in the day. TMNT 2: The arcade game was always at the top of the nintendo power top NES list, right after super mario bros. 3. A TMNT side scroller beat 'em up, made in the vein of the classic games, would make as much as sonic mania, or the crash trilogy.

Powder
09-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Ehhhh, you need to remember, the TMNT games did as well as they did because they were the new f**king Mickey Mouse. Pokemon's just about the only other thing that took the world by storm to a similar extent. There's no way a new installment would touch Sonic or Crash sale levels, you're delusional.

DevilSpooky
09-09-2017, 04:49 PM
Ehhhh, you need to remember, the TMNT games did as well as they did because they were the new f**king Mickey Mouse. Pokemon's just about the only other thing that took the world by storm to a similar extent. There's no way a new installment would touch Sonic or Crash sale levels, you're delusional.

Probably yeah, but word of mouth does wonders, a really good game that is able to draw the attention of the 40 something nostalgia geeks would gain enough hype for everyone else to feel the itch to try it, just like games like FEZ, Super Meat Boy, Terraria and the like, all the weebos would jump right on the hype train of the next big thing if everyone else does the same.

Powder
09-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Weebo? Do you mean weeaboo? I don't see how people obsessed with Japanese culture factor into this. :tlol:

Ninjinister
09-10-2017, 01:36 PM

Exactly. They older games are very much a product of their times. I'm not saying that it'd be impossible for new Turtles games in a similar vein to do well, but they'd need to be a perfect storm of timing and quality (and probably marketing).

DevilSpooky
09-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Weebo? Do you mean weeaboo? I don't see how people obsessed with Japanese culture factor into this. :tlol:

Posers, whatever, you know what I meant... :tgrumble:

Powder
09-10-2017, 06:52 PM
I do now, but I didn't before. :trazz: A weeaboo/weebo is someone who goes over to top with their interest in anime, j-pop, sushi, etc. I didn't understand. It's not an attack against you, man...

DevilSpooky
09-10-2017, 10:37 PM
I do now, but I didn't before. :trazz: A weeaboo/weebo is someone who goes over to top with their interest in anime, j-pop, sushi, etc. I didn't understand. It's not an attack against you, man...

Oh no, I know it wasn't buddy, we're ok ;)

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-13-2017, 08:05 PM

I disagree totally, but I'm not going to waste my time arguing and trading insults.

pferreira
09-14-2017, 09:09 AM

The retro game boom is not just a hipster niche market, these games are SELLING!That's great news. I didn't know Sonic Mania was doing that well. :)

Fun of the original games:

*mash* *mash* *mash* the same 2 buttons over and over again. Absolutely riveting... in 1990.I take it you completely ignored Panda's above post then? :roll:

Ehhhh, you need to remember, the TMNT games did as well as they did because they were the new f**king Mickey Mouse. Pokemon's just about the only other thing that took the world by storm to a similar extent. There's no way a new installment would touch Sonic or Crash sale levels, you're delusional.Kind of have to disagree here. Sonic has been in quite a rut and hasn't had a critical or commercial hit since 1999. Sonic Mania has saved his reputation. Crash was pretty much dead until they released the remastered version. So yeah I don't see why not, the competition of those two to TMNT isn't as big as you think.

Ninjinister
09-14-2017, 03:30 PM
Kind of have to disagree here. Sonic has been in quite a rut and hasn't had a critical or commercial hit since 1999. Sonic Mania has saved his reputation. Crash was pretty much dead until they released the remastered version. So yeah I don't see why not, the competition of those two to TMNT isn't as big as you think.

Sonic has also maintained a GIANT fanbase no matter how terrible the games are. And even if it critically flops, Sonic Forces will probably do better financially.

I can't speak for Crash, though, since I have no insight on his fanbase or reception of the trilogy remake.

I don't think anybody is saying that Sonic and Crash are "competition" to TMNT though. What I and others have been saying, is that the path to a critically and financially successful TMNT game is a bigger struggle, whether it's like the old games or not, and is unlikely to happen without several important factors falling into place just right. Of course I want that to happen. TMNT means more to me than any other fictional property. It's just that through following how that franchise and how video games have resonated with the public for pretty much my entire life, I can be realistic at the chances.

Redeemer
09-18-2017, 07:51 PM
So does anyone still play this on xbox one??? wanting to beat it.

pferreira
09-21-2017, 08:35 AM
Sonic has also maintained a GIANT fanbase no matter how terrible the games are. And even if it critically flops, Sonic Forces will probably do better financially.They've done well but no where near as good as the Mega Drive games did.

I can't speak for Crash, though, since I have no insight on his fanbase or reception of the trilogy remake.I believe Crash has been more or less dead since 2008.

I Crave Pizza No More
09-25-2017, 05:14 PM
My brother and I are playing through this on PS4, but man, it's hard to take. Bebop was incredibly difficult for a first boss, and the Karai level is straight broken. Confusing objectives, cheaply difficult enemies and tasks--a real mess.

eskater
09-26-2017, 09:03 AM
My brother and I are playing through this on PS4, but man, it's hard to take. Bebop was incredibly difficult for a first boss, and the Karai level is straight broken. Confusing objectives, cheaply difficult enemies and tasks--a real mess.

I'm still on the Wingnut stage on PS4 and yeah it's a bit tough even on a normal setting.

I Crave Pizza No More
10-01-2017, 06:47 AM
I'm still on the Wingnut stage on PS4 and yeah it's a bit tough even on a normal setting.

Thing is, even after you go back to an earlier stage, the bosses are still annoyingly tough. Apparently you start from scratch with your health on each stage, and you lose your battle points, which I had been saving so I could buy stuff, after each board. It's not an awful game, but it's pretty lackluster.

eskater
10-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Thing is, even after you go back to an earlier stage, the bosses are still annoyingly tough. Apparently you start from scratch with your health on each stage, and you lose your battle points, which I had been saving so I could buy stuff, after each board. It's not an awful game, but it's pretty lackluster.

Agreed, not a bad game but still feels like there could've been more.