PDA

View Full Version : DC Streaming Service Live Action Titans and Young Justice

Autbot_Benz
04-25-2017, 11:50 AM
DC Digital Service To Launch With ‘Titans’ Series From Greg Berlanti & Akiva Goldsman And ‘Young Justice: Outsiders’

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros is making a big move in digital with one of its flagship brands. Warner Bros and DC Entertainment are behind a new, DC-branded service that will debut in 2018 with two high-profile comic book-themed original TV series: the live-action Titans, from the king of the CW DC universe Greg Berlanti, Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns, Sarah Schechter and Warner Bros TV, and the anticipated revival of cult animated series Young Justice, from Warner Bros Animation. It will be titled Young Justice: Outsiders.

The DC-branded direct-to-consumer digital platform, in the works for the past several months, marks the second major new service launched by Warner Bros Digital Networks — the division started last year with the mandate of building WB-owned digital and OTT video services — following the recently introduced animation-driven Boomerang. The DC-branded platform is expected to offer more than a traditional OTT service; it is designed as an immersive experience with fan interaction and will encompass comics as well as TV series.

Titans, written by Goldsman (Star Trek: Discovery, Underground), DC Entertainment president & chief creative officer Johns (The Flash, Arrow) and Berlanti (Arrow, DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl), explores one of the most popular comic book teams ever. It follows a group of young soon-to-be superheroes recruited from every corner of the DC Universe. In the action-adventure series, Dick Grayson emerges from the shadows to become the leader of a fearless band of new heroes that includes Starfire, Raven and others.

Goldsman, Johns and Berlanti Prods’ Berlanti and Schechter (Arrow, DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl) executive produce Titans, from Weed Road Pictures and Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros Television.

A live-action Titans was originally ordered as a pilot by Warner Bros TV sibling TNT in 2014, with Goldsman writing the adaptation alongside Marc Haimes. The regime change at TNT put the project in limbo, and it ultimately did not go forward.

WBTV and DC then brought Titans under the purview of Berlanti, who oversees all four DC/WBTV superhero drama series on the CW as well as the CW Seed DC animated series Constantine. Berlanti teamed for what is a new take on the Titans characters with Goldsman and Johns, who also co-wrote The Flash pilot with Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg. There was stong interest in the project from outside, including from an SVOD provider, but Warner Bros opted to make the show a cornerstone of the new DC digital service.

In Young Justice: Outsiders, the teenage superheroes of the DC Universe come of age in an animated world of superpowers, super villains and super secrets. In the new season, the team faces its greatest challenge as it takes on meta-human trafficking and the terrifying threat it creates for a society caught in the crossfire of a genetic arms race spanning the globe and the galaxy.

Sam Register (Teen Titans Go!) is executive producing. The show’s creators Brandon Vietti and Greg Weisman are producers; with the series’ Phil Bourassa also returning to serve as art director.

Praised by critics and DC fans for its impressive visuals and rich storytelling, Young Justice aired for two seasons on Cartoon Network, from 2010-2013, before it was cancelled, triggering a crowdfunding effort to bring it back. The series won a primetime Emmy for Individual Achievement in Animation for Bousassa for the “Independence Day” episode in 2011.

Following months of speculation, Warner Bros Animation last November announced it has begun production on a third season of all-new episodes. At the time there was no network, with the series testing the marketplace, and was rumored as a possibility for Netflix, which carries the existing two seasons of Young Justice. But Warner Bros decided to run Young Justice: Outsiders on the new DC platform.

Titans marks the first live-action series in the digital space for DC Entertainment, which has seven broadcast series on the air, Supergirl, Arrow, Flash, DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow and iZombie on the CW, and Gotham and Lucifer on Fox.

The use of established titles with strong fan following like Titans and Young Justice to jump-start the new DC-branded service is reminiscent of CBS’ bet on a new Star Trek series and a Good Wife spinoff, The Good Fight, for its CBS All Access as new platforms aften rely on built-in awareness and name recognition to stand out in the competitive digital space.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/dc-digital-service-titans-young-justice-outsiders-1202076831/

I am getting sick of all these streaming services

blindturtle02
04-25-2017, 01:49 PM
So do we have to have cable and to list our provider in order to use this thing? If this is similar to FXNOW and Simpsons World, then I guess I'm SOL for cutting the cord.

Cure
04-25-2017, 03:28 PM
So do we have to have cable and to list our provider in order to use this thing? If this is similar to FXNOW and Simpsons World, then I guess I'm SOL for cutting the cord.

I don't think so. That's for streaming services tied to TV networks. I think this is its own streaming thing, like WWE Network or Crunchyroll.

TheSkeletonMan939
04-25-2017, 03:43 PM
I don't like the practice, but I'm happy to pay for it since I imagine it was a big factor in getting Young Justice revived.

Raph's Girl
04-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Ah the ever expanding Berlanti-verse. We need a Berlanti show on Fridays! Unless that's where Black Lightning will be??

So Berlanti shows:
Arrow
Flash
LOT
Supergirl
Riverdale
Black Lightning
Titans

Now to see who they cast as the various Titans.

Autbot_Benz
04-25-2017, 06:48 PM
seems a lot of other peeps on twitter are annoyed and don't want another streaming service. YJ Season 3 should have been on Netflix if you ask me.

The only good thing about this is Titans won't be on the god awful CW. so This show won't suffer from those obnoxious Shippers .

TheSkeletonMan939
04-25-2017, 07:01 PM
YJ Season 3 should have been on Netflix if you ask me.

But I think that YJ was only renewed for the sake of this streaming service. Didn't you think it was a little weird that WB suddenly announced they were producing a third season out of the blue, when toy sales were always unfavorable? Producing a single episode costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, plus marketing and whatever else; WB isn't doing this just to be nice.
DC wanted a new streaming platform and knew that it wouldn't last a day without some seriously intriguing content on it. YJ season 3 was a perfect candidate, especially after last year's big Netflix hullabaloo.

Autbot_Benz
04-25-2017, 07:18 PM
But I think that YJ was only renewed for the sake of this streaming service. Didn't you think it was a little weird that WB suddenly announced they were producing a third season out of the blue, when toy sales were always unfavorable? Producing a single episode costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, plus marketing and whatever else; WB isn't doing this just to be nice.
DC wanted a new streaming platform and knew that it wouldn't last a day without some seriously intriguing content on it. YJ season 3 was a perfect candidate, especially after last year's big Netflix hullabaloo.

ya seemed odd the showrunners kept telling us to watch it on netflix to show that people want it back and poof its not going to be on netflix

TheSkeletonMan939
04-25-2017, 07:24 PM
It's not like the showrunners had any clue DC was planning this streaming thing. All they wanted was for the show's popularity to be proven (or, if Netflix ratings were low, be disproven). Where the show ended up was out of their hands.

Autbot_Benz
04-25-2017, 07:26 PM
Its like I said I will watch YJ S3 on cartoon sites when they get uploaded. I just hope Titans doesn't suck.

sdp
04-25-2017, 10:03 PM
This is cool but I really can't justify having a DC Network on my monthly bills unless it's ridiculously cheap like less than $5. I guess we're really going a la carte with online streaming in the near future. ;(

Redeemer
04-25-2017, 10:47 PM
Didn't you think it was a little weird that WB suddenly announced they were producing a third season out of the blue, when toy sales were always unfavorable? Producing a single episode costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, plus marketing and whatever else; WB isn't doing this just to be nice.

Toy Sales for Young Justice where actually good. The problem was that Young Justice Toys were tied to the Green Lantern toy line as a packaged deal. When the Green Lantern Toys tanked it killed the deal. - This was how it was explained by the voice actor for Aqualad.
You don't revive a unprofitable or failing show to support a new streaming service. You are right though they are not doing this to be nice only for profit.

TurtleTitan97
06-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Filming for Titans will start on September 25th: http://omegaunderground.com/2017/06/06/dc-comics-live-action-titans-series-begins-production-september-atlanta/

TurtleTitan97
06-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Character breakdowns for Nightwing, Raven, Starfire, and apparently Beast Boy: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/teen_titans/titans-tv-series-character-breakdowns-reveal-some-intriguing-new-details-about-the-four-team-members-a151890

[John Crossland ]Male, late 20s-early 30s, Caucasian. Equal parts charm and impenetrability, John is a cop. He has a nice smile, tired eyes and a cool, distant manner. However, when provoked, his eyes are so lethal “they drain a man of every last bit of spleen.” John is haunted by the murder of his family. Unbeknownst to those around him, he is also a vigilante. In the shadows, he fights with the commitment and conviction of an artist, the brutal grace of a dancer. Mentally and physically, he is covered in a map of scars. And though he fights to escape his past, it is often a losing battle…SERIES LEAD

[SARAH] Female, Mid teens, Open Ethnicity. Troubled, bullied, often scared but unwilling to show it, Sarah is a loner more comfortable hiding in her hoodie than making friends. Haunted by a dark force inside her, Sarah experiences violent episodes that she cannot understand or control. She is also plagued by recurring nightmares that lead her across the country in search of help…SERIES REGULAR

[Casey Female, 20s, Open ethnicity. Casey is a tall, stunning woman, her beauty so magnificent it’s almost inhuman. Elegant, refined and mysterious, she is on the hunt to discover who is trying to kill her and why. And those after her are in for a surprise because she’s more deadly than anyone they’ve ever encountered…SERIES REGULAR

[JAX] Male, Mid-late teens, Open Ethnicity, Asian preferred. Funny and charming, this amateur thief’s humor hides his insecurities and past pain. Not the toughest kid on the streets, he’s learned to survive in the world with his wit and quick-thinking…SERIES REGULAR

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-19-2017, 08:06 PM
Is this going to be CW? Because if so, sigh.

But otherwise... interested. The more Batman mythology they cram in there, the better. (Unlike Arrow.)

Cure
06-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Is this going to be CW? Because if so, sigh.

I thought the title and original post of the thread were pretty clear as to where this is airing.

Coola Yagami
06-19-2017, 08:19 PM
No thanks. If I care enough I'll eventually get it on a season set or something.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-19-2017, 08:21 PM
I thought the title and original post of the thread were pretty clear as to where this is airing.

My bad, you're right.

Hope it does well. I suppose they'll have to stay away from using established CW characters like a Kid Flash or Speedy. What about Aqualad? He's a thing, right?

Autbot_Benz
08-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Raven has been cast she will be played by 13 year old actress Australian newcomer Teagan Croft

https://deadline.com/2017/08/titans-teagan-croft-cast-raven-greg-berlanti-dc-digital-series-1202142006/

CyberCubed
08-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Raven is only 13? WTF? Isn't that a little young?

dl316bh
08-04-2017, 03:11 AM
That was about my reaction as well, but they might portray her as fourteen or so in the series (and Teagan herself might be that age by the time they film this thing). The only thing I can think of is that they might plan on this being a long runner with the characters aging over time, so they start young with a couple of them. But that's a guess on my part. I imagine Beast Boy will be of similar age; it seems like they always cast him as younger than most of the members, like when they used him in Young Justice for some odd reason. Anyone else is a toss-up. We don't know a ton about this so far.

I've never seen anything with her, so I have no clue if she's any good. I tried to IMDB her and she's only got two prior credits under her belt, so she's definitely new. But then, so were the kids in Stranger Things, so I don't know.

TheSkeletonMan939
08-04-2017, 08:54 AM

They're probably hoping that the show will live on long enough that the Titans can grow up throughout the series.

Autbot_Benz
08-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Starfire has been cast

http://i.imgur.com/fDoN0ZL.jpg

she is played by Anna Diop

CyberCubed
08-23-2017, 07:33 PM
I sure hope they make her skin orange then, because black Starfire is yet another pointless race change.

Spike Spiegel
08-24-2017, 11:35 AM
I sure hope they make her skin orange then, because black Starfire is yet another pointless race change.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/47a679d573e0efdad50e7122a5b2a104/tumblr_nrkm4i8I661us08ddo1_500.gif

Redeemer
08-24-2017, 05:05 PM

I have to agree :ohwell: Give me orange skin or cancel the show!

They should have just casted Ivanka Trump to play the role. She grew up in privilege and has orange skin :lol:

plastroncafe
08-24-2017, 05:13 PM
Isn't the fact that it's a human playing an alien in itself a pointless race change?

sdp
08-24-2017, 06:15 PM
It's just pandering if she's not orange, maybe if they hadn't "promoted" Cyborg; a change that no one likes they wouldn't have to fill in their "black" quota. I'd totally love to see Cyborg here where he belongs. Horrible decisions. I hope she's orange.

How old is she anyway? She looks a bit old to be playing a teen titan, then again the comic star fire was never young looking but she seems to be pushing it, her boobs also seem small for Starfire who like Powergirl is kind of part of her character design.

13 year old Raven is an interesting but it could work.

I don't know how much hope I have for this show, titans is not something that works on a tv budget or live action

I just can't add another DC show to all the ones I'm already watching, jeeze, I never thought I'd say we have too many DC shows.

As far as the streaming service I can see it being something I subscribe to one month and binge everything that has happened once a year or so. Hell that seems to be the only way to go when everyone and their mother has a streaming service. Keep netflix and change between the others for original shows every month.

CyberCubed
08-24-2017, 07:18 PM
If they don't make her skin orange and Beast Boy's skin green, then what's the point? Starfire isn't black, she's orange. It'd be like introducing a white Cyborg.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-24-2017, 07:57 PM
Because OF COURSE we're all going to freak out that a black woman was cast to play an alien princess.

Completely predictable.

ToTheNines
08-24-2017, 07:58 PM
You're such a fuc*ing hillbilly sometimes.

Autbot_Benz
08-24-2017, 08:06 PM
they will probably use cgi like for David Harewood's Martian Manhunter for the skin color of Starfire if not body paint

snake
08-24-2017, 08:22 PM
I'm more mad at 13 year old Raven than Blackfire (hah).

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-24-2017, 09:41 PM
I'm more mad at 13 year old Raven than Blackfire (hah).

It does seem odd, especially now that we see the age difference between Raven and Starfire (and presumably the rest of the cast).

They're probably trying to latch onto Eleven's marketability (Stranger Things).

CyberCubed
08-25-2017, 03:13 AM
I think most comic fans would be really bothered if both Starfire and Beast Boy aren't correctly colored their runs on the show. Watch Beast Boy not be green either, and just be whatever skin color the actor they cast him as.

Candy Kappa
08-25-2017, 03:51 AM
Beast Boy could also start out as red instead of green thanks to New 52

I think Starfire would look great with just her natural skin color with a rich purple costume, the fiery hair, maybe have make-up give her a golden glow to achieve a similar effect like Live-Action Heimdall. It'd make a more striking visuals compared to painting the actor in a alien orange and dull up the color mix.

Redeemer
08-25-2017, 10:21 PM
It's just pandering if she's not orange, maybe if they hadn't "promoted" Cyborg; a change that no one likes they wouldn't have to fill in their "black" quota. I'd totally love to see Cyborg here where he belongs. Horrible decisions. I hope she's orange.

How old is she anyway? She looks a bit old to be playing a teen titan, then again the comic star fire was never young looking but she seems to be pushing it, her boobs also seem small for Starfire who like Powergirl is kind of part of her character design.

13 year old Raven is an interesting but it could work.

I don't know how much hope I have for this show, titans is not something that works on a tv budget or live action

I just can't add another DC show to all the ones I'm already watching, jeeze, I never thought I'd say we have too many DC shows.

As far as the streaming service I can see it being something I subscribe to one month and binge everything that has happened once a year or so. Hell that seems to be the only way to go when everyone and their mother has a streaming service. Keep netflix and change between the others for original shows every month.
WTF.... wait so Cyborg is not going to be in the show????? WOW!!!! No wonder TNT scrapped the project

Because OF COURSE we're all going to freak out that a black woman was cast to play an alien princess.

Completely predictable.

I don't think anyone has a problem with a black actress playing Star Fire. I think people are more concerned about taking an iconic character with an iconic look and drastically changing the character.

As I said before I hope they give us a classic star fire look. But hopefully they make the mini skirt at least a little longer than what it is in the comics :lol:

Autbot_Benz
08-31-2017, 02:57 PM
Dick Grayson has been cast

http://i.imgur.com/FMmNfAT.jpg

http://deadline.com/2017/08/titans-brenton-thwaites-lead-dick-grayson-dc-live-action-series-robin-1202159057/

Autbot_Benz
09-07-2017, 05:52 PM
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/09/07/breaking-news-titans-lands-its-hawk-and-dove?sf112329969=1

Alan Ritchson (Raph from the PD movies) is playing Hawk

Minka Kelly is playing Dove

TurtleTitan97
10-18-2017, 12:18 PM
Ryan Potter has been casted as Beast Boy: http://tvline.com/2017/10/18/titans-beast-boy-cast-ryan-potter-dc-streaming-series/

dl316bh
10-18-2017, 04:03 PM
I know this is a month and a half late reaction, but wait, goddamn Hawk and Dove are going to be in this thing?

Really?

That is some C list stuff going on there. I assume they won't be regulars.

Redeemer
10-30-2017, 10:58 AM
So apparently Raven is going to be in Young Justice season 3 and Tera Strong will be reprising her role voicing Raven!!!

DestronMirage22
10-30-2017, 11:11 AM
So apparently Raven is going to be in Young Justice season 3 and Tera Strong will be reprising her role voicing Raven!!!

That's cool.
I always liked her voice for Raven, it always seemed right for the character.

ZariusTwo
10-30-2017, 11:36 AM
Hopefully she gets with Garfield. TTG always 'ship teases the two, but I'd like them to have a stab at something more adult. The comics haven't had them together since before Flashpoint (and even then it was a last minute hook up)

sdp
10-30-2017, 11:47 AM
The comics only ever had them because fans of the cartoon shipped them together when they specifically said they only had a friendly relationship. I'll admit I did like that ship in the original Teen Titans though. If they're shipped here it'll be like every other relationship in the series, quick and without much depth.

I hope this third season doesn't end on a cliffhanger again, I see this as DC throwing fans a bone to see if it sticks but I just don't see it getting the support it should as most people will just pirate it, especially the vocal fans and DC will just cancel it after this. It's really a gesture of good will but man, makes little sense financially. I don't think there's still a big enough audience for people to care and it'll be hard to get people back into it, hope I'm wrong though.

ZariusTwo
10-30-2017, 12:03 PM
The comics only ever had them because fans of the cartoon shipped them together when they specifically said they only had a friendly relationship.

And they made the mistake of writing them like a close but bickering pair, and as such it became perceived as a more natural relationship than most of the legimitate 'ships on that show

TheSkeletonMan939
10-30-2017, 12:16 PM

Source? I can't immediately find anything.

Redeemer
10-30-2017, 02:58 PM
The comics only ever had them because fans of the cartoon shipped them together when they specifically said they only had a friendly relationship. I'll admit I did like that ship in the original Teen Titans though. If they're shipped here it'll be like every other relationship in the series, quick and without much depth.

I hope this third season doesn't end on a cliffhanger again, I see this as DC throwing fans a bone to see if it sticks but I just don't see it getting the support it should as most people will just pirate it, especially the vocal fans and DC will just cancel it after this. It's really a gesture of good will but man, makes little sense financially. I don't think there's still a big enough audience for people to care and it'll be hard to get people back into it, hope I'm wrong though.

Young Justice was a huge success the first go around and the toy sale were good as well. The only reason it was cancelled was bc the Young Justice toy line was tied to the CGI green lantern toy line that bombed. Green Lantern pretty much young justice bc the toy lines were tied together. I think the source is on the front page bc we we've covered the subject before. But I do share your concern about piracy killing young justice this time around. It just sucks I have to buy DC streaming service to just show support.

Source? I can't immediately find anything.

Really wow, I hope this isn't a mistake then....
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0152839/?ref_=nv_sr_1
This link is to Tera Strong's page on IMDB with her getting credit for the season and certain episodes.

TheSkeletonMan939
10-30-2017, 03:09 PM
I don't buy it until I hear it from somewhere official. Anyone can add anything to IMDB. I hope it's true though.

Autbot_Benz
10-30-2017, 03:17 PM
I don't buy it until I hear it from somewhere official. Anyone can add anything to IMDB. I hope it's true though.

agreed I will wait till Tara Strong says something on twitter

CyberCubed
10-30-2017, 03:30 PM
I never understood why the other Titans weren't in Young Justice. Starfire's design from those DC movies would be perfect to use for it, as well as Raven or Cyborg.

I guess they purposely didn't use them aside from Dick and Beast Boy to distance the show from Teen Titans.

sdp
10-30-2017, 11:33 PM
I never understood why the other Titans weren't in Young Justice. Starfire's design from those DC movies would be perfect to use for it, as well as Raven or Cyborg.

I guess they purposely didn't use them aside from Dick and Beast Boy to distance the show from Teen Titans.
You said it yourself, they didn't want this to be compared to Teen Titans and be its own thing.

I would've loved more a real Young Justice show tho, that art-style and those characters animated would've been great but it would've resembled too much the Teen Titans Cartoon as well, not that that's a bad thing.

So we now have Young Justice the show which is more similar to Teen Titans the comic and Teen Titans the show which is more similar to Young Justice the comic.

Young Justice was a huge success the first go around and the toy sale were good as well. The only reason it was cancelled was bc the Young Justice toy line was tied to the CGI green lantern toy line that bombed. Green Lantern pretty much young justice bc the toy lines were tied together. I think the source is on the front page bc we we've covered the subject before. But I do share your concern about piracy killing young justice this time around. It just sucks I have to buy DC streaming service to just show support.

The Young Justice toyline bombed big time and it was deserved since it was so lazy and badly done. Green Lantern didn't sink the toyline, it was already dead.

The show just wasn't doing great either, I know plenty of blog posts reported that it was only cancelled because it had a lot of female fans and producers didn't want that. But that's only one interview telling what he thinks happened and no actual proof.

YJ came out at a time that Cartoon Network didn't care about their DC block, gave it deadly hiatuses. The excitement just wasn't there either, it was a great show but at the same time it wasn't a "feel good" show nor compelling enough to make up for the lack of charm. It did great with the tumblr crowd and hardcore dc nerds and animation fans but the average person didn't know about the show.

I'm guessing ratings for the show were fine but nothing amazing and given the situation they just cancelled it.

What a horrible time that was, we had been told DC would get this huge focus on CN and it seemed like a golden age, everything about YJ and the other DC shows seemed so well crafted and planned only to see them bail out on it barely a month after the experiment began.

CyberCubed
10-30-2017, 11:47 PM
Young Justice was canceled too early, we should have gotten Season 3 from CN years ago.

But either way I guess it doesn't matter now. Makes me wonder how many seasons of it we'll get from DC now. Season 3 is confirmed to be 26 episodes so that's a full length season, I wonder if it'll go on for any longer. I guess it really depends on how many views it gets, but you know people will also watch it online illegally so WB won't get all that revenue if people watch the show outside their service.

Coola Yagami
10-31-2017, 02:04 AM
Young Justice was canceled too early, we should have gotten Season 3 from CN years ago.

But either way I guess it doesn't matter now. Makes me wonder how many seasons of it we'll get from DC now. Season 3 is confirmed to be 26 episodes so that's a full length season, I wonder if it'll go on for any longer. I guess it really depends on how many views it gets, but you know people will also watch it online illegally so WB won't get all that revenue if people watch the show outside their service.

They'd have no one to blame but themselves. They just should have released it on Netflix/Hulu. They're practically shooting themselves in the foot by putting it on some forced exclusive stream site noone's going to want to use.

dl316bh
10-31-2017, 02:16 AM
Sometimes I think the cancellation was the best thing to happen to the Young Justice (especially now that it's coming back). I remember when season two was airing, I saw plenty of people annoyed as hell with where it was going and upset it seemed to flounder on only the second season. I'm not sure if everyone thought it could have turned around or what, but after it got canceled it was like everybody forgot and decided on a kumbaya to try and get it back. Kind of washed away the memory of how season two got under peoples skin.

Still amazes me they thought a time skip after the first season was a great plan.

The comics only ever had them because fans of the cartoon shipped them together when they specifically said they only had a friendly relationship.
I feel pretty safe in saying that isn't what happened. People were pegging it as a possibility as early as Beast Boys and Girls, a three issue arc coming out around when season two ended, and the release of a certain two episodes mid season three is when the cartoon fandom started actually turning into a thing. I remember because a couple people I'm close friends with to this day - and me, after I'd started hanging in those circles - were trying to direct people toward the comic when that fandom started gaining steam, because we were fairly confident that was the direction it might have been going. Geoff Johns used to plot long term, after all, and comics are plotted and written months in advance.

Someone could try and say they hastily rewrote things when the ship took off in the cartoon fandom, but looking at the whole of the Pre-IC Teen Titans run with the knowledge they get together, it's easy to see it was always planned. I could swear I remember Geoff Johns saying as much in an interview or two.

And they made the mistake of writing them like a close but bickering pair, and as such it became perceived as a more natural relationship than most of the legimitate 'ships on that show
It didn't help that the legitimate ship everyone knew was happening - Robin and Starfire - was the dullest possible thing you could ask for. Big shock people enjoyed the not confirmed pairing that was interesting with a likable dynamic.

I never understood why the other Titans weren't in Young Justice.
Because they're not Young Justice. None of them have ever been members of that comic team at any point and they're easily recognizable, since the cartoon, as the Titans. It was weird enough having Beast Boy and Miss Martian there (though Miss Martian is probably more associated with that team now because of the cartoon).

So we now have Young Justice the show which is more similar to Teen Titans the comic and Teen Titans the show which is more similar to Young Justice the comic.
I have to admit that always drove me up the wall. The original Teen Titans cartoon was what you'd have expected a Young Justice cartoon to be.

TTG always 'ship teases the two, but I'd like them to have a stab at something more adult.
That will probably happen at some point. Not just because it's a thing in the comics, but the cartoons have really cemented it in the minds of kids and teenagers, then and especially now when it's actually a thing in Go!. It's probably more a matter of when.

What a horrible time that was, we had been told DC would get this huge focus on CN and it seemed like a golden age, everything about YJ and the other DC shows seemed so well crafted and planned only to see them bail out on it barely a month after the experiment began.
Remember DC Nation? CN lost interest in that stupid quick. It's almost amazing to me how much the channel doesn't seem to like carrying superhero stuff or putting any focus on it, when historically superhero cartoons have been their highest rated stuff and they and DC are both owned by the same parent company.

They'd have no one to blame but themselves. They just should have released it on Netflix/Hulu. They're practically shooting themselves in the foot by putting it on some forced exclusive stream site noone's going to want to use.
It could go either way, but they've got a chance. There's so much DC related material at this point it could be attractive at the right price. Especially for parents with kids who like superhero shows. Netflix and Hulu don't have crap for that. Hulu has Teen Titans Go!, but all the other DC cartoons and most of the numerous animated films and shows they've done over the years are MIA on all of them. They've probably got a better shot than some of the other attempts. That said, I'd probably prefer they not do it too, but we're probably going to have a period where everyone and their grandma tries it for a few years, diluting the market, until people get sick of the whole thing and there's a big implosion.

CyberCubed
10-31-2017, 02:55 AM
Well also Young Justice isn't a show that needs to go on forever. If it just gets a Season 3 and that's it, I'll be perfectly fine. It's only that Season 2 ended on a big cliffhanger, plus Wally's "death" that people wanted a continuation.

If Season 3 wraps up the show well, although it probably won't because Greg Weisman always purposely leaves plot threads open even when he knows he shouldn't, then I'll be fine if that's all we get.

TheSkeletonMan939
10-31-2017, 07:26 AM
I thought season 2's ending was totally fine. Establishing that Darkseid is a character isn't a cliffhanger.

sdp
10-31-2017, 11:22 AM
People also forget that season 2 of Young Justice almost didnt happen and was originally only going to be a mini series of a few episodes, (6 or 10) they changed their mind and gave it a few more episodes and called it a season but it still didnt get the 26 episode season that was now standard and only got 20.

I thought season 2's ending was totally fine. Establishing that Darkseid is a character isn't a cliffhanger.

Darkseid had been hinted since season 1, its definitely a cliffhanger or unresolved plot that was heavily hinted for two seasons if you prefer.

Well also Young Justice isn't a show that needs to go on forever. If it just gets a Season 3 and that's it, I'll be perfectly fine. It's only that Season 2 ended on a big cliffhanger, plus Wally's "death" that people wanted a continuation.

If Season 3 wraps up the show well, although it probably won't because Greg Weisman always purposely leaves plot threads open even when he knows he shouldn't, then I'll be fine if that's all we get.

You know Weisman, he loves having cliffhangers and unresolved plots to his shows because he plans 5 seasons ahead of where he is at. I mean thats cool but at the same time he has enver been able to actually finish any of his shows.

Im a fan of superhero shows not needing to have an actual ending as the héroes will always protect their world but not leaving huge cliffhangers is important.
I remember when season two was airing, I saw plenty of people annoyed as hell with where it was going and upset it seemed to flounder on only the second season.
I loved the time jump and didnt mind it, sure the show introduced many characters but it did that in season 1 too, it was always a show that wanted to show you the rest of the DCU and not dwell on only a few.

I feel pretty safe in saying that isn't what happened. People were pegging it as a possibility as early as Beast Boys and Girls, a three issue arc coming out around when season two ended, and the release of a certain two episodes mid season three is when the cartoon fandom started actually turning into a thing. I remember because a couple people I'm close friends with to this day - and me, after I'd started hanging in those circles - were trying to direct people toward the comic when that fandom started gaining steam, because we were fairly confident that was the direction it might have been going. Geoff Johns used to plot long term, after all, and comics are plotted and written months in advance.
Its been a while so I dont remember the details but at the time I was really into the Teen Titans fandom and I still believe youre wrong, the BB/Raven relationship was there very early on even before Terra and the comic followed.

In fact the comic took a lot of elements from the show that comic purists hated.

Remember DC Nation? CN lost interest in that stupid quick. It's almost amazing to me how much the channel doesn't seem to like carrying superhero stuff or putting any focus on it, when historically superhero cartoons have been their highest rated stuff and they and DC are both owned by the same parent company.

Yes, that was my point, I remember exactly the PR and how they were finally comitted to give DC the spotlight it deserved and it was going to be this huge block and whatnot, something happened between the announcement and when it finally came out that CN just wasnt interested anymore. I wasnt following it but Im sure there was some shuffling in the people in charge.

The only reason DC Nation was even a thing anymore was because they already had all this stuff done by the previous decisions but they showed no desire to actually go through with the other stuff they had promised and hadnt already done.

Granted there were other factors crappy toys and the GL movie failing just didnt help. but CN and WB couldve done so much more to make that block successful.

dl316bh
10-31-2017, 03:47 PM
Its been a while so I dont remember the details but at the time I was really into the Teen Titans fandom and I still believe youre wrong, the BB/Raven relationship was there very early on even before Terra and the comic followed.
There were people who liked it even early on, but the only episode that anyone really pointed to before Spellbound and Beast Within was Nevermore. Those were the ones where people really started coming in. But there were people who went off how much they enjoyed the two interacting prior to that, yes, but it wasn't super big, as I recall. Season one and two there were about as many people who actually shipped her with Cyborg for some reason - probably pair the spares during season two, since Rob/Star was clearly going to be a thing and Terra was there - and that didn't start to fade until Beast Boy and Raven kind of became the beta ship mid season three and Jinx became the big ship for Cyborg at the start of season three until Kid Flash came into the picture in season five.

In fact the comic took a lot of elements from the show that comic purists hated.
They started trying that post-Infinite Crisis and after the show died, yeah, but none of it really stuck. They tried to stuff Beast Boy in his cartoon get-up during OYL, but it look atrocious outside the cartoon style (and honestly, I never thought it looked great there either) and was dropped by the time he was actually in a monthly comic again... for the red and the white that never looked too good either, so, not a super improvement. I remember more fear on the part of comic purists, that they were afraid DC was going to do more of that. Dumbing Starfire down to resemble the speech patterns or naiveté of the cartoon version is something I clearly remember people worrying about, to the point of jumping at shadows; there was a part in 52 during her plot where she was hanging with Animal Man and another companion in space where she ate some tainted fruit or something and a friend worried that was going to be the "narrative excuse".

It was mostly overblown, though understandable at the time, as it's not uncommon for comics to absorb things from a popular cartoon to try and draw some of the fans in, but looking back, Teen Titans didn't take much.

I loved the time jump and didnt mind it, sure the show introduced many characters but it did that in season 1 too, it was always a show that wanted to show you the rest of the DCU and not dwell on only a few.
Oh, I'm sure there were people who did like it well enough, including yourself. I didn't mean to imply everyone hated it. But it was a common complaint I saw of season two that had people grumbling pretty hard, but was forgotten when the show was canned, is all I'm saying. Like, the cancellation kind of did it a favor in that it papered over the things people were upset about.

Yes, that was my point, I remember exactly the PR and how they were finally comitted to give DC the spotlight it deserved and it was going to be this huge block and whatnot, something happened between the announcement and when it finally came out that CN just wasnt interested anymore. I wasnt following it but Im sure there was some shuffling in the people in charge.
Cartoon Network's had a lot of weird executive shuffling and decisions behind the scenes that really made no sense. I remember that, around when Teen Titans and JLU were canceled, it was announced they were just going to be called CN now and they were branching out of cartoons, trying to pull a SyFy. It failed horribly, no one watched their crappy live action stuff and they had a period where they had to recover. But yeah, odd decisions and changing their mind just seems par for the course for them now. To me, at least. If nothing else, it suggested to me that they had something against superhero cartoons for some weird reason.

I mean, there were three or four superhero cartoons on or coming around the time of the DC Nation block. They stopped showing new episodes of some of them halfway through before dumping them later and canceled three of the four. I've always been convinced that the only reason Teen Titans Go! survived that culling is because it had high ratings (and maybe good merch sales, I don't know how that show does in the toy market).

M.O.D.O.K.
11-03-2017, 01:09 AM
I've always been convinced that the only reason Teen Titans Go! survived that culling is because it had high ratings (and maybe good merch sales, I don't know how that show does in the toy market).

Teen Titans Go! always got special treatment, though. It actually aired on primetime, had PLENTY of commercials and ads before it started, and plenty of reruns to keep interest and exposure. The other shows were just shoved on Saturday Mornings, no advertisement, and in Beware the Batman's case, wasn't even allowed to finish on CN proper.

NinjaPug
12-01-2017, 05:28 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DP_128jV4AAWVEi?format=jpg

CyberCubed
12-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Looks good.

TheSkeletonMan939
12-01-2017, 05:36 PM
Wow, I like the look of that!

Raph's Girl
12-01-2017, 05:54 PM
Loving the look of the costume. So he's still Robin at the start. Probably will become Nightwing in the season finale.

Autbot_Benz
12-01-2017, 06:05 PM
Man that Robin Costume is gorgeous

CyberCubed
12-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Loving the look of the costume. So he's still Robin at the start. Probably will become Nightwing in the season finale.

Isn't Nightwing in the show from the start? I thought that was Tim Drake. Unless it's just Dick and we see him become Nightwing?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm impressed. Nicely done! :tcool:

NinjaPug
12-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Isn't Nightwing in the show from the start? I thought that was Tim Drake. Unless it's just Dick and we see him become Nightwing?

The picture is Dick according to the press release.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-01-2017, 09:48 PM
THAT'S Robin, Christopher Nolan. Not a freaking' cop in uniform. :tlol:

PApagreg
12-01-2017, 10:02 PM
The picture is Dick according to the press release.

Dick using a bo staff triggers me so much.

Ot: Robin looks great here, not only is it the best live action adaption of his costume but its probably one of the best live action dc costume.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-01-2017, 10:13 PM

Ot: Robin looks great here, not only is it the best live action adaption of his costume but its probably one of the best live action dc costume.

Now that you mention it, yeah... should be escrima instead.

Thinking about it, I love how each Robin had a different weapon associated with them.

Dick, escrima (although it didn't happen until Nightwing)
Jason, crowbar (too bad it was used against him, not by him...)
Tim, bo staff
Damian, sword

PApagreg
12-01-2017, 10:21 PM
Now that you mention it, yeah... should be escrima instead.

Thinking about it, I love how each Robin had a different weapon associated with them.

Dick, escrima (although it didn't happen until Nightwing)
Jason, crowbar (too bad it was used against him, not by him...)
Tim, bo staff
Damian, sword
I would say Jason's weapon would be guns, also they each have something they excel at.
Dick-People skills and Acrobatics
Jason-Gunslinging/Intimidation
Tim- Leadership and Detective skills
Damian- Martial Arts and Stealth

TigerClaw
12-15-2017, 01:26 PM
Here's your first look at Hawk and Dove from the Titans live action series.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/dc/titans/titans-reveals-first-look-at-alan-ritchson-and-minka-kelly-as-hawk-dove-a156373

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com %2F2017%2F12%2Ftit_suitshoot3_dove_hawk_0574b122.j pg

Hawk is played by Alan Ritchson, he was Raph in the recent TMNT movies.

sdp
12-15-2017, 01:32 PM
The costumes are awesome I have hopes, I wonder if the show will actually be cool.

This DC streaming service seems doomed to fail though, doesn't WB realize they need a WB streaming service? DC alone cannot do it. They can't compete with Disney with only DC.

dl316bh
12-15-2017, 02:11 PM
It's because of the original Teen Titans animated series. That version of Dick used a bo staff and it's kind of carried a bit since.

This DC streaming service seems doomed to fail though, doesn't WB realize they need a WB streaming service?
I imagine it's only DC to start. WB's got too much material not to turn it into a general Warner Brothers service. A fair bit of it's wrapped up in other services - Hulu has a majority of their Cartoon Network products right now - but those deals expire at some point.

Redeemer
12-15-2017, 04:36 PM
It's because of the original Teen Titans animated series. That version of Dick used a bo staff and it's kind of carried a bit since.

I imagine it's only DC to start. WB's got too much material not to turn it into a general Warner Brothers service. A fair bit of it's wrapped up in other services - Hulu has a majority of their Cartoon Network products right now - but those deals expire at some point.

I thought some of WB stuff was on there two? I thought the boomerang stuff was going to be on the streaming service as well

dl316bh
12-15-2017, 08:17 PM
I thought some of WB stuff was on there two? I thought the boomerang stuff was going to be on the streaming service as well
They haven't really talked about it much, so it's hard to say, but it was announced around DC, so we all expect it to be dedicated to that at the outset. But I expect it to branch out.