PDA

View Full Version : Dan Slott On His Short-Lived TMNT Adventures Run

ZariusTwo
04-27-2017, 02:11 AM
During a conversation on the Spider-Man CBR forums. Current ASM and Silver Surfer Writer Dan Slott talked a bit about his three issue TMNT Adventures run which came to an end due to Archie losing the license.

It was going to be the start of a new ongoing series, but *right* before issue #1 was heading off, Archie lost the license (I believe to Erik Larsen's group over at Image) and we had to change the ending of our 3rd issue to wrap up the story and "put all the toys back in the box".

From #4 on, Splinter was restored from a rat back into a man. Mikey had been turned back into a turtle, but returned to his mutated state-- but the act of that had drastically scrambled his memories and left him more child-like. Those were the 2 big status quo changes going forward... but both had to be undone (rather abruptly) to play fair with fans who'd want a clean ending before picking up the new Image book.

Still had tons of fun working with those characters. (And, you can see from the 1st cover, it was around the time when the Power Rangers had become a big hit in the U.S., so our first issue had the Turtles fighting a thinly veiled Power Ranger-like team.)

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?92750-Thread-Drift-Will-One-More-Day-ever-be-reversed/page63

Powder
04-27-2017, 03:51 AM
I quite liked those books & woulda loved more. For better or worse they were some of my earliest TMNT comics, so I've got a certain fondness for 'em.

DrSpengler
04-27-2017, 06:56 AM
I enjoyed the heck out of Year of the Turtle, personally. It played a little loose with continuity to accommodate new readers, but it worked really well as a finale to the Archie series (even if it wasn't initially meant to be).

I actually rather wish Slott hadn't restored the status quo at the end (it's not like the Image series was part of that timeline, though perhaps he didn't know that). It would have felt like a stronger sendoff if Splinter had remained human permanently and Mikey would have had to gradually grow back up after being turned into a kid.

Still, it was a good mini with excellent art and an appropriately epic/goofy finale confrontation with the Shredder. One of the Archie gems you don't see pop up too often.

AquaParade
04-27-2017, 11:56 AM
Nearly forgot about this story, but I loved it as a kid.

Blew my mind a couple years ago when I realized it was written by Dan Slott. He really impressed me with Superior Spider-Man.

Andrew NDB
04-27-2017, 12:28 PM
Archie lost the license (I believe to Erik Larsen's group over at Image)

but both had to be undone (rather abruptly) to play fair with fans who'd want a clean ending before picking up the new Image book.

lol... that's... not what happened at all.

Mikey had been turned back into a turtle, but returned to his mutated state-- but the act of that had drastically scrambled his memories and left him more child-like. Those were the 2 big status quo changes going forward... but both had to be undone (rather abruptly)

He wanted to literally in-story change Mikey into Ultra Dude Mikey? That's a horrible idea.

ZariusTwo
04-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Nearly forgot about this story, but I loved it as a kid.

Blew my mind a couple years ago when I realized it was written by Dan Slott. He really impressed me with Superior Spider-Man.

He wrote some of my favorite Ren and Stimpy comics...kind of feel dirty for enjoying them considering how much I think he sucks now.

I agree with that one CBR article that said Superior is a worse story than OMD too

Really? Dan caught in another lie? Perish the thought:roll:

Ninjinister
04-27-2017, 03:13 PM
I agree with that one CBR article that said Superior is a worse story than OMD too

Absolute nonsense.

oldmanwinters
04-27-2017, 04:08 PM
To be honest, I never considered the fact that the Year of the Turtle series ever planned to continue after issue #3. Now I really would like to know what the long-term story arc plans might have been.

TurtleWA
04-27-2017, 08:24 PM
Weird timing for this thread considering the newest member currently says it's Dan Slott. I would like to read the three issues but can't find them. Except for one ebay seller with a dozen copies of #1. If anyone has a tip for buying issues 1-3 that would be great.

ZariusTwo
04-28-2017, 01:39 AM
Absolute nonsense.

As someone who's read the Spider-Man comics all my life and who abhors OMD...yeah, it really is worse.

But if you liked it, good for you.

Weird timing for this thread considering the newest member currently says it's Dan Slott.

meOCdyS7ORE

He's probably joined to contest Andrew's claim that he's misremebering details about Archie and Image.

If he's here...well, I'm sure we'll find a way to get on. Regardless of how I feel about his current work and attitudes to fans, he used to write stuff I enjoyed and he'll probably be very open to people who continue to enjoy him.

Andrew NDB
04-28-2017, 09:48 AM
He's probably joined to contest Andrew's claim that he's misremebering details about Archie and Image.

That would be strange, though I'd love to see what he'd say. There's 0 chance there was any correlation between Archie and Image... I doubt Erik even had a clue there was an Archie book out there. Image (Vol. 3) happened because Mirage Volume 2 ended at Mirage and Mirage came to Erik to do a continuation. Whether the Archie book was thriving, barely treading water, or cancelled, that had absolutely no bearing on the Image book, or vice versa... that was always considered "The kids' book."

Weapons@theready
04-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Superior is quality work, and is way better than OMD

ZariusTwo
04-28-2017, 12:20 PM
Superior is quality work, and is way better than OMD

You been listening to Unci Herb?:D

BHzypHJUMMo

AquaParade
04-28-2017, 09:58 PM
Yeah, Superior Spider-Man was a blast to follow monthly and does a nice job pointing out what makes Peter Parker special to Dan.

OMD is 100% retcon disguised as a story.

This is coming from someone who think Dan should have been booted off Amazing Spider-Man years ago.

Also, as much as I love Dan's work on TMNT, I'm totally glad he left when he did. Assumig that it was to make room for Image comic's TMNT.

snake
04-28-2017, 10:24 PM
lol, I hope that really is Dan Slott who joined.

ZariusTwo
04-29-2017, 01:10 AM
This is coming from someone who think Dan should have been booted off Amazing Spider-Man years ago.

Yeah, totally cool if you like Superior. I'm mainly just ribbing people here 'cause Dan and I fell out ages ago on other forums:P

AquaParade
04-29-2017, 07:57 AM
Yeah, totally cool if you like Superior. I'm mainly just ribbing people here 'cause Dan and I fell out ages ago on other forums:P

Yeah, to each their own. I'm sure we'd agree on other Spidey stories.

Now, what I would like is for Dan to hop of Spider-Man and take charge of IDW TMNT.
Probably a big pay cut, but if it balances out with other work...

ZariusTwo
04-29-2017, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I'd like him to move forward with his career, and he'd at least give TMNT a healthy kind of controversial spin. Hell you already see it with Andrew's reaction to man-child Mikey:D

MsMarvelDuckie
04-29-2017, 02:23 PM
Idunno. With how I feel about Superior and much of his work on Spidey post-BND, I'd prefer he stayed far away from my TMNT. I have not been impressed with any of his stories. Might change my mind where RYV is concerned but have yet to read any of that. Until then I'm happy with TMNT's current writers.

ZariusTwo
04-29-2017, 02:29 PM
Idunno. With how I feel about Superior and much of his work on Spidey post-BND, I'd prefer he stayed far away from my TMNT. I have not been impressed with any of his stories. Might change my mind where RYV is concerned but have yet to read any of that. Until then I'm happy with TMNT's current writers.

The current RYV series is better than the one Slott wrote.

snake
04-29-2017, 03:19 PM
Yeah, to each their own. I'm sure we'd agree on other Spidey stories.

Now, what I would like is for Dan to hop of Spider-Man and take charge of IDW TMNT.
Probably a big pay cut, but if it balances out with other work...

God damn, what is wrong with you?

Andrew NDB
04-29-2017, 03:25 PM
Also, as much as I love Dan's work on TMNT, I'm totally glad he left when he did. Assumig that it was to make room for Image comic's TMNT.

There is literally no way that can be true.

AquaParade
04-29-2017, 05:20 PM
The current RYV series is better than the one Slott wrote.

Really enjoyed every enjoyed issue #5 and it's one of the few current marvel books I'm reading.

Odd choice to have the first three issues be the same story told from different perspectives, in such a crowded market place.

AquaParade
04-29-2017, 05:25 PM
God damn, what is wrong with you?

Look, I think the current team does a really great job but most of the stories they're telling just aren't grabbing me. Love the concepts but I find the scripting to be weak in comparison. Dan is fumbling on Spider-Man lately but he has shown in the past that he can tell fantastic stories.

Given a little more breathing room, which, despite how hands on Nickelodeon may be, tmnt probably still allows more of than Amazing Spider-Man, I think he could come up with some really fun and inventI've twists for tmnt. A fresh book would probably inspire him and he did good work on the archie series.

Andrew, I hear you. Would have helped if I read the whole thread before responding.

DestronMirage22
04-29-2017, 09:52 PM
I kind of hope that new account is actually Dan Slott's, even with all the controversy surrounding his work. It's always nice getting to ask questions to people who've worked on past TMNT projects, he could provide some interesting and new information.

AquaParade
04-30-2017, 10:34 AM
So, Dan confirmed on CBR that he did indeed join this forum but it won't let him post! Blast!

How can we fix this?

MikeandRaph87
04-30-2017, 10:59 AM
So, Dan confirmed on CBR that he did indeed join this forum but it won't let him post! Blast!

How can we fix this?

A moderator has to approve of all registered members, however I don't know if its something Krang or Shredder have to do or if a mini-moderator like Jester or Machias are able to do. Unfortunately it has been a few days between actual registration and aporoved to post. When approved of he needs the green lsttering to identify creator.

I had no idea that miniseries after Adventures abrupt end was written by Dan Slott and was meant to be an ongoing volume. Cool find of the week.

ZariusTwo
04-30-2017, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the information Aqua.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Dan actually wanting to reply in a thread I created...it blows my mind too considering we haven't gotten on lately:P

If he gets approved, I'll probably shoot him a visitor message, last time I spoke to him directly was on my personal blog a year or so ago when he came over to call me deceitful and clarify that he didn't read any fanfiction I wrote (I had a theory that he had at one point...long story)

I'd love to patch up with him, even if we'll probably never really see eye to eye on how he handles Spider-Man, I do respect him for his accomplishments with the franchise and early work.

Anyhoo...if he's seeing this, welcome and behave yourself:P

myconius
04-30-2017, 01:18 PM

i think Dan Slott is just fine where he is.....

...writing a comic series i dropped long ago.

Powder
04-30-2017, 02:49 PM

How can we fix this?

The forum runner Krang is the only one in power to enable his account privileges but as most know, they've been a ghost here for ages now. Between his scarcity & that he's had to be very careful about verifying newly registered users given the problem we've had with banned users coming back en masse, it could well be months until Krang gets to it.

Machias might be able to get Krang to do it in the relative now if anyone feels like contacting the staff.

Machias Banshee
04-30-2017, 08:04 PM
Sorry guys, as much as I'd like to, Krang is still the only one in charge of approving new accounts. :(

Year of the Turtle initially broke my heart when I first read it (I think I was in middle school?), but the art style was very nice. It'd be great to have Don join our community...

TurtleWA
05-15-2017, 09:09 PM
Today I read the three issues for the first time. Found an avatar suggestion for when/if Dan starts posting.

Dan Slott
07-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Hi.
Took me forever to get approved onto this site. :)

That's exactly what happened. It wasn't done under marching orders from Image. It was done more as a courtesy to readers of the Archie run.
We wanted to end on a clean slate continuity-wise and not have Turtles abruptly end at Archie with dangling plots points.

If Archie had not lost the license, the book would have continued on as a monthly with that same writing and art team. And I would have gotten to follow those story lines and subplots. That was the intent when I plotted the first issue, but by the time it came to script it, we knew that like-it-or-not, #3 would be the last, so we put out what would have been the first arc as a self-contained mini-series.

Really? Dan caught in another lie? Perish the thought:roll:

Hi, David. I'd be very interested in hearing what my other lies have been. I think I've been straight forward and honest with my dealings with you online. I'm sorry I've written stories you haven't enjoyed.

Absolute nonsense.
Ha! Thanks. Everyone on the Superior Spider-Man team had a fun time working on the book. Thanks for sticking up for it. (Sounds really weird w/o the context of the previous post you were calling "absolute nonsense".) :-D

Superior is quality work...
Cheers, sir.

Yeah, Superior Spider-Man was a blast to follow monthly and does a nice job pointing out what makes Peter Parker special to Dan.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

Today I read the three issues for the first time. Found an avatar suggestion for when/if Dan starts posting.
Ye Gods. I think I drew that... way back when at the dawn of time. :-P

Andrew NDB
07-14-2017, 02:34 PM
That's exactly what happened. It wasn't done under marching orders from Image. It was done more as a courtesy to readers of the Archie run.
We wanted to end on a clean slate continuity-wise and not have Turtles abruptly end at Archie with dangling plots points.

If Archie had not lost the license, the book would have continued on as a monthly with that same writing and art team. And I would have gotten to follow those story lines and subplots. That was the intent when I plotted the first issue, but by the time it came to script it, we knew that like-it-or-not, #3 would be the last, so we put out what would have been the first arc as a self-contained mini-series.

I don't get it. What does any of that have to do with Image?

The Image series (TMNT Vol. 3), which was B&W, was a direct continuation from Mirage's Vol. 2, which was in color. Mirage Vol. 1 and 2 were being published simultaneously next to the Archie TMNT stuff for years. Why would Archie, at the end of many years of publishing their TMNT book side-by-side with the Mirage TMNT book, suddenly care about "the other book"?

Do you mean, Archie wanted the Archie book to kind of... salt the earth around it on the way out, so TMNT fans going to the store to buy Image TMNT #1 wouldn't accidentally think they're picking up the latest issue of the Archie stuff? Like that? I don't get the motivation.

Dan Slott
07-14-2017, 02:46 PM
It wasn't so that there'd be a continuation point for Image.
It was so there would be an END point for Archie.
Archie lost the rights to do further Turtles stories.
I was told it would ALL go over to Image.
We were wrapping up so that there'd be a clean ending for Archie/Turtles fan without any dangling plot points or subplots.
That's all.

Andrew NDB
07-14-2017, 02:59 PM
It wasn't so that there'd be a continuation point for Image.
It was so there would be an END point for Archie.
Archie lost the rights to do further Turtles stories.
I was told it would ALL go over to Image.
We were wrapping up so that there'd be a clean ending for Archie/Turtles fan without any dangling plot points or subplots.
That's all.

Oh, I see. But it wasn't that "ALL (would) go over to Image"... it just stopped going at all at Archie. Image was just carrying the baton handed to it from Mirage at the end of Vol. 2.

I'm glad that Archie got that modicum of an ending, as it was.

MikeandRaph87
07-14-2017, 03:12 PM
It's Dan Freaking Slott!:o Sorry, about the registration issue. The site creator has nearly faded away.

I wondered as an elementary school student, why the cancellation of the final arc in TMNT Adventures and the different continuity of Year of The Turtle? It is interesting to note that the series was not a mini, but an ongoing.

What were intentions with the three henchmen Cyberius, T.K. O, and Psonic? Did you have origins for the characters or an idea as to why they were working for The Shredder? Did you have any plans for other characters ranging from Bebop and Rocksteady to Casey Jones, or other notable enemies and alliess?

Powder
07-14-2017, 03:58 PM
I'm glad that Archie got that modicum of an ending, as it was.

It didn't provide any closure, but it was a pretty nice sendoff in its own way. I like those "there's always another adventure" kinda endings, even if we already new their future was bleek anyway. YOTT was very solid.

CyberCubed
07-14-2017, 04:29 PM
I love that it had some sort of final showdown with Shredder, that's where the closure came from. Before that Shredder's last appearance was getting washed away by a flood in the future with Armaggon/Rat King.

Dan Slott
07-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Hi. Again, it wasn't meant to be closure for ALL of Archie/Turtles comics continuity.

The first issue was being drawn, the second issue was plotted, and the third issue had been planned.

The intention was for this to be the opening arc for a whole new Turtles monthly-- and there were going to be big status quo changes (like, for instance, Splinter turned back into a man). We were setting up new, original villains. And there was a lot more in the works.

But part way through, we found out that Archie lost the license. Issue three was going to wrap up our first arc, but there were going to be many massive changes that would keep playing out and lead to more stories, subplots, and ongoing drama. THAT all had to be wrapped up-- or it wouldn't be fair to the regular Archie/Turtles readers.

We didn't want to end with plot threads and subplots that would never be resolved. THAT'S the closure I'm talking about. For example, we let the reader know in Chapter 3 that Splinter was slowly reverting back to rat-form and would be returned to his regular status quo. Things like that.

If the book HAD remained a monthly, we wouldn't have tied that up right away.

Powder
07-14-2017, 07:01 PM
I bet it would've been really cool.

Any chance you'd be willing to divulge some information about stories or ideas you had in mind?

oldmanwinters
07-14-2017, 07:38 PM
Hi. Again, it wasn't meant to be closure for ALL of Archie/Turtles comics continuity.

The first issue was being drawn, the second issue was plotted, and the third issue had been planned.

The intention was for this to be the opening arc for a whole new Turtles monthly-- and there were going to be big status quo changes (like, for instance, Splinter turned back into a man). We were setting up new, original villains. And there was a lot more in the works.

But part way through, we found out that Archie lost the license. Issue three was going to wrap up our first arc, but there were going to be many massive changes that would keep playing out and lead to more stories, subplots, and ongoing drama. THAT all had to be wrapped up-- or it wouldn't be fair to the regular Archie/Turtles readers.

We didn't want to end with plot threads and subplots that would never be resolved. THAT'S the closure I'm talking about. For example, we let the reader know in Chapter 3 that Splinter was slowly reverting back to rat-form and would be returned to his regular status quo. Things like that.

I bet it would've been really cool.

Any chance you'd be willing to divulge some information about stories or ideas you had in mind?

Yes!

Please, please, do tell more about those cancelled plans! With the way #3 wrapped up, it never crossed my mind that there might have even been plans to do a second arc in the Year of the Turtle style! Would Shredder have returned to be the primary villain or would new adversaries be created to take his place? Would we have seen the return of other TMNT characters from the Archie series like Ninjara or even a possible resurrection of the Mighty Mutanimals? What would have been the plans for Splinter as a human? Would April O'Neil have been given a larger focus in the new ongoing (she barely appeared at all Year of the Turtle)? Would any of the Turtles have undergone changes or significant character development (kinda like what the Image series did early on with the mutilations)?

MikeandRaph87
07-14-2017, 09:12 PM

Do tell,what were your plans for the three new original character henchmen?! That is a direction I have always wondered.

dl316bh
07-15-2017, 01:58 PM
I know it was discussed months ago, but I'm also of the "Superior Spider-Man is top shelf comics" opinion.

Is that normal? Halfway through scripting three issues sounds amazingly last minute to let the creative team know. Archie seems to be having a similar problem right now with another licensed property.

MikeandRaph87
07-15-2017, 02:13 PM
I know it was discussed months ago, but I'm also of the "Superior Spider-Man is top shelf comics" opinion.

Agreed. I enjoyed the whole ride. I hope it places Otto as Norman's equal now. The one detail that bugs me is, Otto romances Anna Maria as Peter and was sexually active. It's like both Peter, who's body is being used by Otto is being raped while Anna Maria is as well because she is intimate off of false pretenses. :o It is amazing how they shook it off. It just did not seem necessary in the narrative.

dl316bh
07-15-2017, 05:11 PM
The one detail that bugs me is, Otto romances Anna Maria as Peter and was sexually active. It's like both Peter, who's body is being used by Otto is being raped while Anna Maria is as well because she is intimate off of false pretenses. :o It is amazing how they shook it off. It just did not seem necessary in the narrative.
That's always an issue in body swap stuff, yeah. I think Psylocke got away with it mainly because most people don't remember she's a british woman switched to the body of a ninja or something, because it's never brought up. It didn't break the book for me, though.

oldmanwinters
07-15-2017, 06:17 PM

Is that normal? Halfway through scripting three issues sounds amazingly last minute to let the creative team know. Archie seems to be having a similar problem right now with another licensed property.

Haha, as a long-term reader of Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comic, I can testify that kind of thing definitely happens.:trolleye:

dl316bh
07-16-2017, 01:22 AM
Haha, as a long-term reader of Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comic, I can testify that kind of thing definitely happens.:trolleye:
I haven't read the Archie Sonic comics in a long time - they got REAL bad for a while and I never had a huge love of the Archie cast, so it was easy to move on - but I have heard about all of that going down. It's removed a lot of Ian Flynns monthly workload for going on six months, too, given he wrote about three ongoings for them at any given time. I feel bad for the guy.

AquaParade
07-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Gotta say, these issues are impossible to find. If anyone has any leads, please let me know!

CyberCubed
07-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Gotta say, these issues are impossible to find. If anyone has any leads, please let me know!

It's on ebay right now for all 3 for $65:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Adventures-Lot-Year-of-the-Turtle-Set-s-1-3-Rare-/152612550495?hash=item23886ab75f:g:2boAAOSw~FJZM6Q c

Rather pricey, but for rare old comics it's understandable.

MikeandRaph87
07-17-2017, 07:37 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Adventures-Lot-Year-of-the-Turtle-Set-s-1-3-Rare-/152612550495?hash=item23886ab75f:g:2boAAOSw~FJZM6Q c

*taps on Cybercubed's head* Hmmm. Not quite ripe yet.

Powder
07-18-2017, 01:05 AM
*taps on Cybercubed's head* Hmmm. Not quite ripe yet.

???

What's wrong with his post? They've been rare & pricey for a while now.

CyberCubed
07-18-2017, 01:06 AM
I didn't get what he meant either, I checked mycomicshop and they're all sold out. There's a few other ebay listings for Year of the Turtle, but they're around the same price.

Unless he's implying people don't buy comics on ebay...which is kinda bizarre because there's literally millions of comic listings on ebay for any comic series.

Andrew NDB
07-18-2017, 01:14 AM
But part way through, we found out that Archie lost the license.

You would know more than I, or anyone here... but is that 100% what happened? Mirage really yanked the license away from Archie? I'd always assumed that sales dipped towards the end and Archie decided it wasn't as lucrative of a property as it had been in the past to continue to pay licensing fees and whatnot, but this assumption isn't based on any hard data or info.

dl316bh
07-18-2017, 02:55 PM
You would know more than I, or anyone here... but is that 100% what happened? Mirage really yanked the license away from Archie? I'd always assumed that sales dipped towards the end and Archie decided it wasn't as lucrative of a property as it had been in the past to continue to pay licensing fees and whatnot, but this assumption isn't based on any hard data or info.
It actually wouldn't surprise me. Nobody is a hundred percent sure why, because Archie and Sega aren't talking, but Sega yanked the Sonic license - or deliberately let it lapse - after two decades worth of a business relationship this past January and Archie is supposedly, by their words, negotiating to get it back. Going theory is that Sega is less than pleased with all the legal issues Archie's been in over characters created for the comic - they lost a court case Sega was dragged into and were threatened with another by someone else... I want to say last year - and decided that was the end of that.

The most recent writer, Ian Flynn, said that's the trouble with licensed comics; you never know when the work is going to disappear due to circumstances or just the whims of the owner.

AquaParade
07-18-2017, 03:27 PM

Thanks. Too pricey for me but nice to know it's available.

pferreira
07-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Haha, as a long-term reader of Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comic, I can testify that kind of thing definitely happens.:trolleye:I don't read the comic but I hope Sega keep allowing Archie to continue with Sonic.

DrSpengler
07-20-2017, 09:23 AM
I don't read the comic but I hope Sega keep allowing Archie to continue with Sonic.

Hate to have to tell you this, but Sega announced yesterday that they've pulled the license from Archie and the series is cancelled:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/887809496898088960/photo/1

oldmanwinters
07-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Hate to have to tell you this, but Sega announced yesterday that they've pulled the license from Archie and the series is cancelled:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/887809496898088960/photo/1

Makes me really thankful Archie TMNT got the opportunity to end gracefully out of respect for the readers! Even Archie Mega Man got a compressed final arc before going on "hiatus." The best Sonic readers got was this accidentally appropriate panel (https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/07/20/sega-officially-cancels-archie-sonic-comic/) from the companion series.

dl316bh
07-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Gotta say, twenty four years and just shy of three hundred issues, not including companion series, is not bad for a cartoon spin-off comic based on a video game. For years after DC did the New 52 relaunch, it was actually the longest running ongoing publication without a renumbering. It went longer than it had any right to, which is kind of an accomplishment.

Makes me really thankful Archie TMNT got the opportunity to end gracefully out of respect for the readers! Even Archie Mega Man got a compressed final arc before going on "hiatus." The best Sonic readers got was this accidentally appropriate panel from the companion series.
You'd think they'd have given the Sonic staff some kind of warning if things were getting that dire, so they could at least put together some kind of messy conclusion that could be picked up on later.

DrSpengler
07-20-2017, 03:00 PM
You'd think they'd have given the Sonic staff some kind of warning if things were getting that dire, so they could at least put together some kind of messy conclusion that could be picked up on later.

Well, the Archie Sonic titles have been suspended for the past 5-6 months (with many issues already completed and just awaiting publication). Archie got into some hot water with Sega and were using the time during the suspension of publication to try and negotiate a deal with them.

Sega's announcement yesterday was just a forgone conclusion; most readers pretty much accepted that Archie wouldn't be releasing the remaining issues and had lost the license.

Sucks for the readership, to be sure, though I can't blame Sega for pulling the license so abruptly and not giving Archie the opportunity to tie its narrative up. Archie's incompetence got Sega dragged into multiple lawsuits in the past few years; Sega just said "enough is enough".

Andrew NDB
07-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Archie's incompetence got Sega dragged into multiple lawsuits in the past few years; Sega just said "enough is enough".

How is that? What happened?

sdp
07-20-2017, 03:39 PM
Short version:

-Archie gets rid of Sonic writer of many years Ken Penders
-Sega releases RPG game for DS where they dwell into story more than their usual games
-Ken Penders says Sega stole his ideas
-Sega says "lol no"
-Ken Penders sues for his "original characters" which are just amateur palette swaps of Sonic/Knuckles
-Archie shows photocopies of the contract during court; They laugh and Penders wins
-Sega is pissed at Archie for being so stupid and puts restrictions on what they can do
-Ken Penders now legally owns palette swaps of Knuckles and friends, decides to make a comic with said characters

It really sucks for fans and Penders was an a-hole but the failure of Archie at everything here is just hilarious. Sega did not renew the license and the "longest ongoing series" has now ended. Read the long version of the story tho, it really is something else.

oldmanwinters
07-20-2017, 03:49 PM
Short version:

-Sega releases RPG game for DS where they dwell into story more than their usual games
-Sega says "lol no"
-Ken Penders sues for his "original characters" which are just amateur palette swaps of Sonic/Knuckles
-Archie shows photocopies of the contract during court; They laugh and Penders wins
-Sega is pissed at Archie for being so stupid and puts restrictions on what they can do
-Ken Penders now legally owns palette swaps of Knuckles and friends, decides to make a comic with said characters

It really sucks for fans and Penders was an a-hole but the failure of Archie at everything here is just hilarious. Sega did not renew the license and the "longest ongoing series" has now ended. Read the long version of the story tho, it really is something else.

And don't forget the most recent twist with Scott Fulop trying to get in on some of that creator's compensation action, though perhaps without the weird fan-fiction:
http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Scott_Fulop

Well, the Archie Sonic titles have been suspended for the past 5-6 months (with many issues already completed and just awaiting publication). Archie got into some hot water with Sega and were using the time during the suspension of publication to try and negotiate a deal with them.

Sega's announcement yesterday was just a forgone conclusion; most readers pretty much accepted that Archie wouldn't be releasing the remaining issues and had lost the license.

Sucks for the readership, to be sure, though I can't blame Sega for pulling the license so abruptly and not giving Archie the opportunity to tie its narrative up. Archie's incompetence got Sega dragged into multiple lawsuits in the past few years; Sega just said "enough is enough".

Ken Penders on Twitter argues the TV success of Riverdale diminished Archie's enthusiasm to pay contract money for licensed character books.

dl316bh
07-20-2017, 04:03 PM

Oh yeah, I know. I meant more before the hiatus/cancellation. Wasn't it a case of letting the license lapse? There are usually negotiations during stuff like this, right? Though I'm assuming it was a license lapse, since whispers went about of negotiations where Sega wanted more money for the license and Archie wasn't having that. We know so little, Sega could have just yanked it for all I know.

The only thing they were doing I was that interested in was Mega Drive, but I was waiting for the trilogy to be completed to get it in trade. That's not even going to happen now. So it's a big shoulder shrug for me.

How is that? What happened?
It's worse than sdp is making it sound. Penders, frankly, had no business winning that suit, but Archie is apparently a freaking zoo with a legal department staffed by chimps, because they couldn't handle basic contracts, something that's been causing them headaches. Penders isn't even the only one to try it, either, as Scott Fulop filed suit as well, either last year or in 2015. As far as I know, that hasn't gone anywhere thus far, ending up in legal limbo, but it's another lawsuit Sega might be dragged into.

Archie's been in a lot of legal hot water over the past five years, not just from Penders or related to Sonic; there were some scandals relating to CEO's and other things that didn't do them any favors, PR-wise. As Dr. Spengler noted, it's not that shocking that Sega decided they'd had enough, because the company is a magnet for trouble right now.

It's just the characters he made for the Knuckles series, I believe. Which is why when he talked it up, he mentioned Not-Knuckles as being dead or something. Penders, I assume, is not a complete moron; I doubt he's going to put himself in a situation where he's hedging so close to an established character he could be sued. Especially when he's already poked the bees nest.

Ken Penders on Twitter argues the TV success of Riverdale diminished Archie's enthusiasm to pay contract money for licensed character books.
I'd take anything he says with a grain of salt.

Andrew NDB
07-20-2017, 04:24 PM
Question for Dan. Had "Year of the Turtle" been allowed to progress into bigger and better things (or at least, an ongoing thing)... would you have been inclined to eventually revisit characters or story threads from the previous TMNT Adventures' comics?

DrSpengler
07-20-2017, 04:59 PM
Short version:

-Sega says "lol no"

Actually gets a bit hairier than that. After Penders saw success with his lawsuit, another Archie writer, Scott Fulop sued Archie and Sega this year. That was the last straw that made Sega pull everything. Can't say I blame them.

Edit: Adam beat me to it!

MikeandRaph87
07-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Makes me really thankful Archie TMNT got the opportunity to end gracefully out of respect for the readers! Even Archie Mega Man got a compressed final arc before going on "hiatus." The best Sonic readers got was this accidentally appropriate panel (https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/07/20/sega-officially-cancels-archie-sonic-comic/) from the companion series.

It would have ended gracefully if 'Forever War' ever got published. I would have been fine at that point.*sighs*

CyberCubed
07-20-2017, 05:15 PM
It would have ended gracefully if 'Forever War' ever got published. I would have been fine at that point.*sighs*

It ended fine either way. Whatever The Forever War wound up being, I don't think it would have wound up nearly as good as some people think in their minds.

Andrew NDB
07-20-2017, 05:59 PM
No one (including Steve Murphy himself, he says) even knows what "The Forever War" is or was about. There is literally no way to speculate whether it would be good or bad.

oldmanwinters
07-20-2017, 07:31 PM
No one (including Steve Murphy himself, he says) even knows what "The Forever War" is or was about. There is literally no way to speculate whether it would be good or bad.

Haha, I love the fact that Murphy is so honest about the storyline being so opened ended. Makes me think they just chose cover previews based upon layouts that looked cool but figured out the details of the story as they went along. And, if I remember, Murphy never approached Forever War as if it was going to be a finale, right?

CyberCubed
07-20-2017, 07:41 PM
All I wanted from The Forever War was some final Shredder story or closure. We got that in Year of the Turtle, so that's why I don't really care anymore that it didn't happen. Of course if they greenlit it right now I'll buy a copy the day it comes out, but that's besides the point.

sdp
07-20-2017, 10:44 PM
One of my first threads in the drome was about getting into Archie comics and one of the responses was "There is no better time than now to get into Archie since the Forever War is finally going to be published" :lol: Found the thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=12469).

CyberCubed
07-20-2017, 10:53 PM
One of my first threads in the drome was about getting into Archie comics and one of the responses was "There is no better time than now to get into Archie since the Forever War is finally going to be published" :lol: Found the thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=12469).

Goddamn, 2005. I can't believe that was 12 years ago now. I was only like what...20 years old back then?

Where does the time go, sdp?

neatoman
07-21-2017, 04:36 AM
Actually gets a bit hairier than that. After Penders saw success with his lawsuit, another Archie writer, Scott Fulop sued Archie and Sega this year. That was the last straw that made Sega pull everything. Can't say I blame them.

Edit: Adam beat me to it!

I'm honestly shocked an American Sonic comic lasted that long, even before I knew it caused two lawsuits.

pferreira
07-27-2017, 02:41 PM

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/887809496898088960/photo/1That's sad. From the Twitter response I get the feeling a reboot is coming which will annoy existing fans no doubt. I get the impression Archie have time to complete any storylines.

In comparison our Fleetway Sonic The Comic was incredibly rushed when it was cancelled.

dl316bh
07-27-2017, 02:50 PM
I get the impression Archie have time to complete any storylines.
Nah, dude. Archie hasn't produced any Sonic comics since January. Everything just stopped abruptly, as I assume that's when the license lapsed/was yanked. They can't make anything, otherwise the completed issues they have sitting around would already have been released.

Andrew NDB
07-27-2017, 02:52 PM

Haha, I love the fact that Murphy is so honest about the storyline being so opened ended. Makes me think they just chose cover previews based upon layouts that looked cool but figured out the details of the story as they went along. And, if I remember, Murphy never approached Forever War as if it was going to be a finale, right?

It's not that it was "open ended," it's that he (claims) knew what it was when it was time to write it the first time around... and now has completely forgotten what it was. When he was going to write it the second time, at Mirage, he was starting over from scratch and claimed to have had an outline he'd freshly written for it. He then claims he lost that outline, and subsequently forgot everything that was in that, too.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-27-2017, 03:08 PM
It's not that it was "open ended," it's that he (claims) knew what it was when it was time to write it the first time around... and now has completely forgotten what it was. When he was going to write it the second time, at Mirage, he was starting over from scratch and claimed to have had an outline he'd freshly written for it. He then claims he lost that outline, and subsequently forgot everything that was in that, too.

I didn't know Jason Bourne wrote TMNT comics...

Powder
07-27-2017, 03:50 PM

I am not in any way trying to throw shade here, but is it possible he's just saying that to prevent you from doing it yourself?

Andrew NDB
07-27-2017, 03:51 PM
I am not in any way trying to throw shade here, but is it possible he's just saying that to prevent you from doing it yourself?

That was my thinking. Or deciding some time after already agreeing to handing over the notes/outline to myself and Arseniy that, "Hmm... maybe IDW will come around and actually pay me a lot of money to do this." He's probably still waiting for that.