PDA

View Full Version : Hacker Holds Orange Is The New Black and Other Shows Ransom

ZariusTwo
04-29-2017, 02:49 AM
A hacker who claims to have stolen the new season of “Orange is the New Black” is threatening to release the episodes online, unless Netflix pays an undisclosed amount of money, Variety has confirmed.

“We are aware of the situation. A production vendor used by several major TV studios had its security compromised and the appropriate law enforcement authorities are involved,” Netflix said in a statement.

Using the alias The Dark Overlord, the hacker reportedly stole other TV shows in the breach, according to the AP, and may have already uploaded the first episode of “Orange Is the New Black” Season 5 to an illegal file-sharing website.

The F.B.I. is said to be investigating the matter.

New episodes of “Orange Is the New Black” are set for release on June 9.

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings recently announced the streaming giant had surpassed 100 million subscribers. The company also said it was raising more than $1 billion outside of the U.S. to invest in its global division.

In the stock market, Netflix shares closed at $152.20 (-0.57%) on Friday.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/hacker-threatens-to-release-new-season-of-orange-is-the-new-black-1202403612/

chrisdude
04-29-2017, 07:42 AM
2017, man...

Do ransoms even work?

ZariusTwo
04-29-2017, 10:38 AM
He's making good on his threat

https://torrentfreak.com/hackers-leak-netflixs-orange-is-the-new-black-season-5-premiere-170429/

Netkeeper
04-29-2017, 12:25 PM
I have no personal investment in this show so I'm just gonna sit back and popcorn.gif this news story

snake
04-29-2017, 01:57 PM
Ransoms always seem like the worst way to go. Like, your chances of being caught increase tenfold after you get the money.

TheSkeletonMan939
04-29-2017, 02:29 PM
It amazes me that this doesn't happen more often. The files were pulled from the server of an ADR service; something as small as that makes you realize how many hands in however many companies these files must go through before release. The penalties for that sort of under-handed distribution must be pretty extreme, but still.

plastroncafe
04-29-2017, 03:03 PM
Seems like a crap scheme.
I mean, it's not like funds are untraceable.

The person behind this will get caught and either get jail time, or a job offer.

oldmanwinters
04-29-2017, 03:20 PM
Well this is a new step for piracy.

Cure
04-29-2017, 03:23 PM
I'm pretty tempted to watch it, but nah. I'll wait until it's on Netflix.

Andrew NDB
04-29-2017, 04:20 PM
He might have a case if he said he had Defenders season 1.

Jester
04-29-2017, 04:21 PM
I'm sure the Mouse House would play serious hard ball if that happened.

plastroncafe
04-29-2017, 04:35 PM
I'm sure the Mouse House would play serious hard ball if that happened.

Crap, does The Mouse have the rights to OITNB?
Dude's toast.

Cure
04-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Crap, does The Mouse have the rights to OITNB?
Dude's toast.

I think he meant in the case of Defenders, which is what Andrew NDB mentioned.

plastroncafe
04-29-2017, 05:30 PM
I think he meant in the case of Defenders, which is what Andrew NDB mentioned.

OH!
Yeah, that makes far more sense.

TheSkeletonMan939
04-29-2017, 06:07 PM
I wonder whatever happened to that guy who leaked the Age of Ultron trailer a couple days early.

snake
04-29-2017, 06:19 PM
Probably assassinated by MousekateerOps.

The Deadman
04-29-2017, 06:35 PM
Who names themselves The Dark Overlord? This person has to be a child in their parents basement.

Allio
04-29-2017, 08:06 PM
If a child hacked Netflix, I'd be impressed

sdp
04-29-2017, 08:29 PM
Netflix would be smart to release the show as soon as possible, sure this may mess up their releases a bit and maybe even a financial quarter they had planned but they have more to lose by ignoring it and keeping the original release date, marketing be damned. I would think Netflix would be smarter than that as they're doing the same mistakes the music industry was over a decade ago and that old media companies do when dealing with leaks.

The ransom would've likely been payed in bitcoin which makes tracking it a lot more difficult and they would've been fine. Hackers have always had silly names like bad guys in movies, that's what makes them so awesome.

Shark_Blade
04-29-2017, 09:05 PM
Pfft..."The Dark Overlord" name is so cheesy. ::lol:

Reminds me of "Taserface" :tlol: (those who haven't watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 won't get this side joke).

Anyway, there will be a reckoning. Pretty stupid to ransom a tv show of all things tbh.

snake
04-29-2017, 09:09 PM
Pfft..."The Dark Overlord" name is so cheesy. ::lol:

Reminds me of "Taserface" :tlol: (those who haven't watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 won't get this side joke).

Anyway, there will be a reckoning. Pretty stupid to ransom a tv show of all things tbh.

If you have to explain a joke, it's not funny.

The movie isn't even in the wide release phase yet.

Shark_Blade
04-29-2017, 09:20 PM
If you have to explain a joke, it's not funny.

The movie isn't even in the wide release phase yet.

If you have to explain why a joke isn't funny to you, then your ass is salty. :twink:

It's not out where you are? Too bad, no one cares about you. :tcool:

Netkeeper
04-29-2017, 10:49 PM
wtf is wrong with you

ZariusTwo
04-30-2017, 10:28 AM
As someone who saw Guardians 2, the Taserface gag wasn't remotely funny

Shark_Blade
04-30-2017, 09:55 PM
It's not that funny, it's cheesy like I said. Just like "The Dark Overlord" name is cheesy.

Then again, Star-Lord is a cheesy name too.

snake
04-30-2017, 10:53 PM
If you have to explain why a joke isn't funny to you, then your ass is salty. :twink:

It's not out where you are? Too bad, no one cares about you. :tcool:

Sig material here

ProactiveMan
05-01-2017, 03:51 AM
It amazes me that this doesn't happen more often. The files were pulled from the server of an ADR service; something as small as that makes you realize how many hands in however many companies these files must go through before release. The penalties for that sort of under-handed distribution must be pretty extreme, but still.

It's a new spin on an old routine. Hackers have been extorting money out of online retailers and betting sites for years, essentially by threatening to DDOS them on big trading days. Of course, they're usually more discrete about it.

Stephen
05-02-2017, 03:58 AM
Netflix seems to have ignored the ransom
https://arstechnica.co.uk/security/2017/05/orange-is-the-new-black-season-five-leak/

plastroncafe
05-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Meet The Failed Batman Villain Who Tried To Ransom Netflix (http://www.cracked.com/blog/meet-failed-batman-villain-who-tried-to-ransom-netflix/) (cracked.com)

sdp
05-09-2017, 09:33 PM
That's a terribly written article..

First of all this does affect Netflix a lot as their original programming drives subscriber numbers, that's also why they're scheduled as such. The music industry did the whole "ignore the leaks" and we now how that turned out for them.

Second, most hackers are not stupid, it takes quite a bit of work to be any good at it so you would assume he is behind 7 proxies, of course there's the average script kiddie who scores it big and is only behind 6 proxies that always get caught. If he's any good he'll be fine.

I can see this becoming a thing and in the age of digital distribution companies have a very easy to deal with it, release it before the hacker.

sdp
05-15-2017, 05:16 PM
Looks like I was right, hackers doing the same to Disney (http://www.businessinsider.com/hackers-holding-a-disney-movie-hostage-according-to-ceo-bob-iger-2017-5) with Pirates of the Caribbean 5. Unlike Netflix it's a little harder to just release the film which Netflix should've done.

I think this might become more commonplace as I mentioned so what enterprises should do is take power away from hackers, never pay, either release the film as soon as the hackers do and in the case of theatrical movies which have contracts then play the waiting game. The early Wolverine Origins release didn't hurt it, albeit that was a different time were "normies" didn't pirate as much and it wasn't finished

Andrew NDB
05-15-2017, 05:20 PM
As someone who saw Guardians 2, the Taserface gag wasn't remotely funny

Agreed. It felt like a recycled joke from, like, a 90s Adam Sandler movie.

DestronMirage22
05-15-2017, 05:44 PM
Looks like I was right, hackers doing the same to Disney (http://www.businessinsider.com/hackers-holding-a-disney-movie-hostage-according-to-ceo-bob-iger-2017-5) with Pirates of the Caribbean 5. Unlike Netflix it's a little harder to just release the film which Netflix should've done.

Dude, if those hackers leak that movie before its release that would be pretty dope. They'd get my respect.