PDA

View Full Version : What's up with everybody buying vinyl again?

Andrew NDB
05-01-2017, 03:26 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaltrends-uploads-prod/2015/04/shutterstock_229948330.jpg

I walked into what is primarily a movie store in the mall the other day for the first time in a year or so, and whole aisles that used to house blu-ray sets and collections and some smattering of musician CDs in an aisle... now have like half the damn store converted to rows of vinyl albums.

"It just sounds better on vinyl, man."

Has this ever been proven, or ran through the scientific method? I feel like it would've, by someone by now, because it really does seem like it's just hipsters being hipsters... yet apparently it's catching on. Why is this a thing?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03046/hipster-tash_3046941b.jpg

Cryomancer
05-01-2017, 05:02 PM
I think records are supposed to have (the potential for) more dynamic range. CDs are notorious for the opposite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war Most people will probably never care, haha.

For clarity's sake, I own like, one? record. Got it at a concert, since they were out of the CD, and had it signed. To me the main appeal to records (and more relevant to me, Laserdiscs, which I have like a dozen of) is the case is physically much larger, thus allowing for huge artwork or large amounts of text, stuff like that. You can hang a record or LD case on a wall as a poster if you wanted to.

Andrew NDB
05-01-2017, 05:04 PM
I think records are supposed to have (the potential for) more dynamic range. CDs are notorious for the opposite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war Most people will probably never care, haha.

What about a digital music file? I can play that on my nice sound system and that's going to not have the same range as a damn record player?

Cure
05-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Like any side of any argument, both have their pros and cons.

TheSkeletonMan939
05-01-2017, 05:12 PM
I have a friend who buys vinyl regularly and he has never been able to really articulate what about it he likes so much. As for sound differences, vinyl does have a 'warmer' sound to it that is often neglected in the masterings of CDs and digital files (the 'Loudness War' Cryomancer linked to). Loudness War is real, and annoying, but I don't think it's so bad that it's worth regressing to an obsolete technology. When will VHS tapes see a hip resurgence? If there's an argument for why buying vinyl is not an impractical novelty, I haven't heard it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFdnhx8W8AExTjm.png

IndigoErth
05-01-2017, 05:38 PM
It became trendy...

Not to mention vinyl was, I assume, kind of the heyday of music cover art, which is now close to dead since everything is turning digital.

Unworthy tinker
05-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Hipsters.

Or avid music fans.

Probably a mix of both.

Coola Yagami
05-01-2017, 05:58 PM
I was surprised to see something as recent as the Suicide Squad movie soundtrack in vinyl form.

Andrew NDB
05-01-2017, 06:09 PM
I was surprised to see something as recent as the Suicide Squad movie soundtrack in vinyl form.

This is what I'm talking about.

sdp
05-01-2017, 06:13 PM
This has been going on for a while in fact last year we produced more Vinyl records than in the 70s. So yeah part of it is hipsters being hipsters but it's also a music fans want their music in physical media but they prefer MP3s to CDs and the Super Audio CDs and Audio DVDs never caught on so they prefer this since "analog music" is better. I know plenty of older fans have gotten mad that the prices of vinyl, players and other stuff has sky rocketed but it's also cool to have newer albums in vinyl.

TheSkeletonMan939
05-01-2017, 06:19 PM
I've seen people be interested in a particular vinyl release simply because the LP has pretty colors on it.

Edit: now here's a head-scratcher... (http://store.universalmusic.com/starwars/*/Music/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Cassette/583M05O5000) why the heck would anyone want this? That makes less sense than vinyl does.

mrmaczaps
05-01-2017, 06:22 PM
I have some records... I love them. Folks still have a record player even.

Have a classic 60s Celtics game on record... the sound tracks for the first 2 Superman films, Supergirl (i think) and reproduction Superman radio seriels... love me skme record store searching almost as much as comic book back issue hunting... and sometimes you can do both!!

IndigoErth
05-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Alright, that does surprise me. I figured it was mostly just old stuff that already existed in that format.

Though on that note, if they released a collective record of TMNT film sound tracks I might be tempted.

Edit: now here's a head-scratcher... (http://store.universalmusic.com/starwars/*/Music/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Cassette/583M05O5000) why the heck would anyone want this? That makes less sense than vinyl does.
Are cassette players even easy to find anymore? lol I'm sure my old walkman is still around somewhere, but who knows if it still works.

TheSkeletonMan939
05-01-2017, 06:30 PM
Have a classic 60s Celtics game on record... the sound tracks for the first 2 Superman films, Supergirl (i think) and reproduction Superman radio seriels... love me skme record store searching almost as much as comic book back issue hunting... and sometimes you can do both!!

Supergirl is a great score!

Alright, that does surprise me. I figured it was mostly just old stuff that already existed in that format.

Though on that note, if they released a collective record of TMNT film sound tracks I might be tempted.

Yep, lots of film scores are getting vinyl releases - from Interstellar to Jurassic World to, as Coola said, frickin' Suicide Squad. All-new music is getting the vinyl treatment with more and more regularity. It's weird! :tshifty:

Are cassette players even easy to find anymore? lol I'm sure my old walkman is still around somewhere, but who knows if it still works.

That's what's most confusing to me. Who still has a functioning cassette player, let alone interest in the new Star Wars score for it?

Jester
05-01-2017, 06:33 PM
I like the album art...and only really want certain albums.

snake
05-01-2017, 06:34 PM
I'd buy vinyl because I like the covers/largeness of them. It's cooler.

Cure
05-01-2017, 06:49 PM
As far as physical releases, I guess vinyl makes more sense to me than CD's. Like, if you're a purist or looking for novelty, you get vinyl. If you only want the music, you get them digitally. CD's are stuck in the middle.

IndigoErth
05-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Yep, lots of film scores are getting vinyl releases - from Interstellar to Jurassic World to, as Coola said, frickin' Suicide Squad. All-new music is getting the vinyl treatment with more and more regularity. It's weird! :tshifty:

That's what's most confusing to me. Who still has a functioning cassette player, let alone interest in the new Star Wars score for it?
But no the Out of the Shadows score on CD. Hmph.

Like the music in that one, still sad it only came out digitally.

sdp
05-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Actually, while Vinyl being a trend is not really news anymore, Andrew is a few years late on that I've noticed just recently that audio casettes are also receiving somewhat of a comeback. It's really niche right now but I've come across it and the vinyl revival started this way as well.

Heck that 13 reasons why may just make them trendy again.

Cryomancer
05-01-2017, 07:03 PM
What about a digital music file? I can play that on my nice sound system and that's going to not have the same range as a damn record player?

Well then the question becomes "where did the digital file come from?" Did they just release a digital copy of a CD master with bad range or something else? I legit don't know how that part works at all. I assume it's a total crapshoot and they do whatever is cheapest and easiest at the time.

Oh yeah, another thing I forgot. With records and tapes there's no track selection. You effectively listen to the whole thing (unless you fast forward or move the needle), which...can be good, can be bad. It's just one of those differences.

TigerClaw
05-01-2017, 07:40 PM
There are some DJs that use specially encoded records, to play music stored in a PC or laptop, it uses software and a piece of hardware, which decodes the signal coming from the record, which will play the music as if it were on vinyl.

ProactiveMan
05-01-2017, 09:45 PM
The dynamic range argument is iffy, and it seems to be based on a lot of assumptions that don't necessarily hold up to scrutiny. People seem to think that because vinyl records are analogue, that means they have unlimited range. They don’t really, because the manufacturing process requires a significant frequency cut-off for technical and economic reasons. You also have to keep in mind that vinyl records are played by dragging a hard metal needle across the surface. That wears the grooves over time, and apparently the high frequencies are the first to go. It wouldn't matter much these days anyway, as music tends to be mastered for max volume rather than range.

There has been some research that suggests that uncompressed music is more relaxing to listen to. The theory being that your brain has to work harder to comprehend digitally compressed audio as it is compensating for the missing frequencies. Not sure if I buy that, but I don't know for sure.

I personally think vinyl has a particular sound quality that people like for totally subjective reasons. They then try to quantify their preference with pseudoscience and silly arguments because, I guess, people challenge them as to why they spend crazy amounts of money on an anachronistic, and inconvenient format. I say, if you like the sound of a record and all that that implies, more power to you. You don’t need to justify it to anyone who doesn’t help pay your bills.

Wildcat
05-01-2017, 10:27 PM
I'm not a huge music buff or purist. I don't collect it or follow tons of musicians. I just listen to my personal favorites and if I like it I'd probably buy it.

Still I don't think anyone is gonna convince me vinyl sounds better than digital. That's just ridiculous.

It's obviously made and bought for novelty reasons and being retro which is perfectly fine. Superior to digital? It can't be unless you just like hearing the static or scratching it produces.

mrmaczaps
05-01-2017, 10:45 PM
I'm not a huge music buff or purist. I don't collect it or follow tons of musicians. I just listen to my personal favorites and if I like it I'd probably buy it.

Still I don't think anyone is gonna convince me vinyl sounds better than digital. That's just ridiculous.

It's obviously made and bought for novelty reasons and being retro which is perfectly fine. Superior to digital? It can't be unless you just like hearing the static or scratching it produces.

Thats debateable. I actually prefer the little oddities and ticks and scratches of a record over a "perfect" digital file... I had a friend take the records and record them to cd for me so they tracks would have the nicks and scratches... Won't convince you, but sounds better to me... :)

Wildcat
05-01-2017, 11:24 PM
That's what I said...if you actually like those scratches/nicks...but from a technical standpoint it can not be better than digital.

IndigoErth
05-01-2017, 11:42 PM
On the plus side (off in left field)... I assume they can still be run backwards by hand to try to hear "reverse speech" nonsense for the fun of it. ;)

Granted digital audio can be reversed in some programs (I've done that), but I assume copyrights might prevent or try to deter access.

Andrew NDB
05-01-2017, 11:56 PM
There are some DJs that use specially encoded records, to play music stored in a PC or laptop, it uses software and a piece of hardware, which decodes the signal coming from the record, which will play the music as if it were on vinyl.

Yeah, it's probably an extra sound layer called "sh*tty scratchy sounds" that goes on top of the raw audio track.

Cryomancer
05-02-2017, 09:25 AM
On the plus side (off in left field)... I assume they can still be run backwards by hand to try to hear "reverse speech" nonsense for the fun of it. ;)

Granted digital audio can be reversed in some programs (I've done that), but I assume copyrights might prevent or try to deter access.

Oh yeah, and of course there's the magic of playing records at the wrong speed! Which has given us this gem: https://soundcloud.com/alvin-thechipmunkson16sp/call-me

plastroncafe
05-02-2017, 09:45 AM
I've started buying vinyl for the same reason I still buy books: because I like the tangible experience.

Though, I really do need to upgrade my turntable. I was gifted one of those all-in-one media players, but my roommate killed the cd player.

TheSkeletonMan939
05-02-2017, 10:23 AM
I've started buying vinyl for the same reason I still buy books: because I like the tangible experience.

Why vinyl though? Why not CDs?

plastroncafe
05-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Why vinyl though? Why not CDs?

I didn't grow up with CDs, so I guess nostalgia?

Andrew NDB
05-02-2017, 11:55 AM
I've noticed just recently that audio casettes are also receiving somewhat of a comeback.

https://www.facebook.com/musiccrowns/videos/10155263407348829/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Yeah, hipsters were probably alerted to it by Guardians of the Galaxy.

Krutch
05-02-2017, 12:08 PM
I own exactly one (https://trevorsomething.bandcamp.com/album/synthetic-love-lp) vinyl record, which I drunkenly bought at 3am when I got a notification email about a new album. Didn't notice I bought the vinyl version until after purchase. Whoops. Now it just sits in my computer desk.

There's lots of reasons "why" it's popular again; it's selling better than CDs, and the Music industry is desperate for any kind of media sales, so they'll pump everything out on LP in an attempt to double dip. It's nostalgic. It's basically art pieces you can showcase. The artwork alone pulls me to buy certain albums on vinyl; and I don't even own a damn record player.

Does it sound better? Ehhh... it sounds a bit different, thats about all my ears can pick up.

As far as the tangible experience goes, I'll quote an episode of Buffy...

Jenny: Honestly, what is it about computers that bothers you so much?
Giles: The smell.
Jenny: Computers don't smell, Rupert.
Giles: I know. Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower, or a-a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell musty and-and-and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is a... it, uh, it has no-no texture, no-no context. It's-it's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then-then the getting of knowledge should be, uh, tangible. It should be, um, smelly.

plastroncafe
05-02-2017, 12:21 PM

Giles: I know. Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower, or a-a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell musty and-and-and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is a... it, uh, it has no-no texture, no-no context. It's-it's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then-then the getting of knowledge should be, uh, tangible. It should be, um, smelly.

This is exactly the quote I was thinking of.
Thanks!

DisKosh
05-02-2017, 12:24 PM
On the plus side (off in left field)... I assume they can still be run backwards by hand to try to hear "reverse speech" nonsense for the fun of it.

Some believe you get demonic messages. I think it's bull$hit but it's fun if you've got time to kill.

I'm not going to shame anyone else for preferring records, but personally I don't care. Although I did find it odd when my 17 year old sister asked for a record player for Christmas. Then again, she is a self-confessed hipster.

IndigoErth
05-02-2017, 05:16 PM
Oh yeah, and of course there's the magic of playing records at the wrong speed! Which has given us this gem: https://soundcloud.com/alvin-thechipmunkson16sp/call-me
:lol:

Some believe you get demonic messages. I think it's bull$hit but it's fun if you've got time to kill.

Yeah. Though it makes me want to dig out the old kid records I had in the 80s and see if any weird stuff turns up. lol

ProactiveMan
05-03-2017, 01:08 AM

My computer may not smell, but my keyboard does.