PDA

View Full Version : TMNT #69 preview & discussion

AlZarkovski
05-02-2017, 01:16 AM
Preview here (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1705/02/tmnt69.htm).

Raptor86
05-02-2017, 02:02 AM
Uh, nice that we are getting some EPF backstory here..

Panda_Kahn_fan
05-02-2017, 02:29 AM
Hmm, I wonder if Enseinhower found out they had an utrom or triceriton ship in custody at area 51.

neatoman
05-02-2017, 02:47 AM
Of course he'd be scared of the aliens.
Jzdylh0vz-U
And yes, I know that's the wrong president, wrong military base and wrong decade. I just don't know of anything better to post.

Ninjinister
05-02-2017, 03:19 AM
It's nakey gecko time

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-02-2017, 07:47 AM
So... did Daddy Bishop just say Ike was scared of the government preparations he saw, not any aliens or monsters they had hidden in Area 51?

'Cause if I read that right, I like it. I like it a lot.

ProphetofGanja
05-02-2017, 08:22 AM
Oh man, things are getting good

Utrommaniac
05-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Of course he'd be scared of the aliens.
Jzdylh0vz-U
And yes, I know that's the wrong president, wrong military base and wrong decade. I just don't know of anything better to post.

:lol: . (Also, that was the right everything. That entire Futurama episode is about Zoidberg being the Area 51 alien and the "ship" being Bender's body. Because of time travel made by Fry microwaving a metal popcorn container at the same time as a supernova)

But yeaaah of course it's another dad. Can we get some moms in there, please?

Also, knocked out by a naked gecko in a bathroom. Not exactly a dignified way to go out.

Taking guesses at what Eisenhower saw

Utrom stuff
Triceraton stuff (I'd say that's more likely); Bobby DID say we'd get cool Triceraton stuff in the summer somewhere in his Q&A
New aliens
Pantheon something or other.

ChosenOne
05-02-2017, 05:16 PM
Naked Mondo... Kinky! :D

Bishop Sr.'s rant has a certain resemblance to the Bayformers franchise's habit of shoehorning Cybertronians into every damn major event in the history of mankind with ominous overtones and hidden or forgotten artifacts. For once, I like the notion.

(Who am I kidding, it's one of the things I love about Bayformers as well!)

Panda_Kahn_fan
05-02-2017, 09:07 PM
So... did Daddy Bishop just say Ike was scared of the government preparations he saw, not any aliens or monsters they had hidden in Area 51?

'Cause if I read that right, I like it. I like it a lot.

No, I don't think so... Bishop's father just isn't saying what alien stuff they had there. That's why Bishop is still pushing him for info.

Utrommaniac
05-03-2017, 01:32 AM
Well that had a few funnier moments than expected.
Namely Raphael getting hit with the tranquilizer and the "ride Sally ride"
bit. Which was a long time coming and hit just right.

And Hob's reaction to Leo saying he was right.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o191/Bat-Snake/Screen%20Shot%202017-05-03%20at%202.39.14%20AM_zpskqobdn1b.png
Perfection.

Now the question becomes...who was making mutants in 1953 New Mexico??? And who were the mutants?
Krang is on Burnow, no one had started stealing Ooze yet. Supposedly, Honeycutt would still be a Neutrino at this point.
The Foot Clan is still a law firm, with Karai, nor likely her father, being born yet to revive it.
Shredder and Kitsune are in slumber and wouldn't be messing around with mutants (or Krang) anyway.

I'd say it's most likely Null is the most likely candidate, but what would she be doing in New Mexico in 1953? How would she have access to mutagenic compounds if Krang would have been the only one with them at the time? Unless she stole some from him while in Dimension X and that pushed Krang over the edge in his "mutant super soldier" plan's success, making him resort to the Technodrome.

Hob going after Bishop's dad was probably the biggest cliffhanger in a while too.

But also...what's up with how photorealistic that ID is?
https://68.media.tumblr.com/bc7b30d12a626b7e11a8824fca357f3a/tumblr_inline_opd9pinvV01rw8miz_540.png
All Hail TJ, the guy that got beaten up by a naked lizard...and is awfully gray haired compared to how he's actually colored???

Who else finds it a little funny that Bishop has a "Samung"/Samsung phone?

myconius
05-03-2017, 06:59 AM
Hob, was SO BAD-@$$ in this issue!!!! :D

there was something seriously awesome about seeing a Mutant AlleyCat firing that Null blaster!

as soon as i saw what intel Mondo Geko had gathered, i was thinking the EXACT same thing that Hob was!!! :lol:

that last panel of Hob gave me chills!! :D

AlessandraDC
05-03-2017, 07:15 AM
Well that had a few funnier moments than expected.
Namely Raphael getting hit with the tranquilizer and the "ride Sally ride"
bit. Which was a long time coming and hit just right.

And Hob's reaction to Leo saying he was right.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o191/Bat-Snake/Screen%20Shot%202017-05-03%20at%202.39.14%20AM_zpskqobdn1b.png
Perfection.

Now the question becomes...who was making mutants in 1953 New Mexico??? And who were the mutants?
Krang is on Burnow, no one had started stealing Ooze yet. Supposedly, Honeycutt would still be a Neutrino at this point.
The Foot Clan is still a law firm, with Karai, nor likely her father, being born yet to revive it.
Shredder and Kitsune are in slumber and wouldn't be messing around with mutants (or Krang) anyway.

I'd say it's most likely Null is the most likely candidate, but what would she be doing in New Mexico in 1953? How would she have access to mutagenic compounds if Krang would have been the only one with them at the time? Unless she stole some from him while in Dimension X and that pushed Krang over the edge in his "mutant super soldier" plan's success, making him resort to the Technodrome.

Hob going after Bishop's dad was probably the biggest cliffhanger in a while too.

But also...what's up with how photorealistic that ID is?
https://68.media.tumblr.com/bc7b30d12a626b7e11a8824fca357f3a/tumblr_inline_opd9pinvV01rw8miz_540.png
All Hail TJ, the guy that got beaten up by a naked lizard...and is awfully gray haired compared to how he's actually colored???

Who else finds it a little funny that Bishop has a "Samung"/Samsung phone?

The Samsung thing made me laugh. It totally made me think that they'd better not let Peter Laird see that XD

Is there also the possibility of meeting some mutants that are actually older and have been around for a while? Great issue by the way! There was such a great variety of characters and moments.

Panda_Kahn_fan
05-03-2017, 07:40 AM
My guess on one of the aforementioned mutants? Dreadmon

ProphetofGanja
05-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Wow, this issue was definitely worth the wait. So glad we get the final act in four short weeks! Santolouco and Pattison really knocked it out of the park on this one.

The story pacing and writing were great too, so thanks to Tom, Bobby and Kevin for that.

I though Bishop senior's comments about monsters could refer to either mutants or aliens, since the average layperson probably isn't going to know the difference based on sight alone. But I guess we'll see. That has been an interesting development in this story, the whole bit about what was going on at Area 51 in the 50s. Regardless of what you believe actually happened there its always interesting see it interpreted in fictional media.

Also, with all the Dimension X stuff on the horizon, I wonder if Pepperoni might one day become mutated, effectively becoming a "New Triceraton"

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-03-2017, 09:30 AM
Looks like I WAS correct in how I interpreted Bishop Sr's statement...

Also, as soon as they introduced that character, I was pretty sure I knew what Hob would do. I was right. :tgrin: :tcool:

ChosenOne
05-03-2017, 09:34 AM
Oh man, that cliffhanger! Is it just me or did Hob totally steal the show in this issue?!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Oh man, that cliffhanger! Is it just me or did Hob totally steal the show in this issue?!

He did indeed. Honestly, this could have and almost should have been just another Mutanimals arc. The Turtles have done nothing of value in this arc.

Kinda disappointed by that a bit... but I'm enjoying the Mutanimals too much to bother griping.

ChosenOne
05-03-2017, 09:51 AM
I also dug Nurse Starks. Her unflappable reaction to the remark about the giant talking man ray was great, it's too bad that she's most likely just a one-scene wonder. Her and Kara in the same scene would make for dialogue gold.

ProphetofGanja
05-03-2017, 09:57 AM
He did indeed. Honestly, this could have and almost should have been just another Mutanimals arc. The Turtles have done nothing of value in this arc.

Kinda disappointed by that a bit... but I'm enjoying the Mutanimals too much to bother griping.

lmao yeah the Turtles kinda sh!t the bed in this arc. It was their insistence on going back to Mutanimal HQ that lead to them almost getting knocked tf out by Bishop-via-Slash. But seeing Mondo, Hob, and Sally save the day more than made up for it.

neatoman
05-03-2017, 10:01 AM
"Son, the furries found me!" :lol:

ProphetofGanja
05-03-2017, 10:03 AM
I also dug Nurse Starks. Her unflappable reaction to the remark about the giant talking man ray was great, it's too bad that she's most likely just a one-scene wonder. Her and Kara in the same scene would make for dialogue gold.

Who knows, maybe she'll have a run-in with Hob next issue since he's using the elder Bishop as a bargaining chip.

You know, seeing Detective Lewis have to do damage control on the news has really made me wonder if we could soon see the day where the Turtles and other mutants are outed to the world

myconius
05-03-2017, 10:17 AM
i was thinking the Area-51 reference might not have been in regards to Mutants,
but more towards Extra-Terrestrial beings or rather Inter-Dimensional Beings.

it be pretty wicked to find out in Bishop's Father's story, that it had been Utroms or Triceratons that were discovered.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Pretty sure all of you are misreading this. Like Agent Bishop, you're hearing the wrong thing and missing the warning from Bishop Sr.

Ike didn't find furry or scaly or tentacled monsters--he found HUMAN monsters. He was frightened by how far the government was willing to go in the name of "protecting" humanity.

myconius
05-03-2017, 11:07 AM
Pretty sure all of you are misreading this. Like Agent Bishop, you're hearing the wrong thing and missing the warning from Bishop Sr.

Ike didn't find furry or scaly or tentacled monsters--he found HUMAN monsters. He was frightened by how far the government was willing to go in the name of "protecting" humanity.

there wasn't enough information given to make a statement of fact.
it's all just speculation and conjecture at this point.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-03-2017, 11:16 AM
there wasn't enough information given to make a statement of fact.
it's all just speculation and conjecture at this point.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

myconius
05-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Pretty sure all of you are misreading this.
you're hearing the wrong thing

that's one heck of an opinion there :lol:

neatoman
05-03-2017, 11:34 AM
So is Jr a clone of Sr or something? If he's not immortal this time around, where did his seemingly superhuman abilities come from?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-03-2017, 11:42 AM

It's the internet... I assume the statements of one dude with no credentials or title can sometimes leave the "I think" or "my opinion is" or "I believe" unsaid.

Maybe my president is rubbing off on me. Fake news. Sad.

myconius
05-03-2017, 12:14 PM
It's the internet... I assume the statements of one dude with no credentials or title can sometimes leave the "I think" or "my opinion is" or "I believe" unsaid.

Maybe my president is rubbing off on me. Fake news. Sad.

it's cool :D

i still like to imagine there's a few Triceraton or Utrom husks laid out on dissection tables at Area 51. :lol:

MikeandRaph87
05-03-2017, 03:34 PM
A couple of nitpicks, Truman was president during the Roswell incident that seemed to have sparked Agent Bishop's father into founding rhe EPA not Eisenhower.

Also, did Samsung pay a small fee to be shown in the panel of Bishop's text from Wesley Knight?

ProphetofGanja
05-03-2017, 03:48 PM
A couple of nitpicks, Truman was president during the Roswell incident that seemed to have sparked Agent Bishop's father into founding rhe EPA not Eisenhower.

Also, did Samsung pay a small fee to be shown in the panel of Bishop's text from Wesley Knight?

Yea, but the incident with Eisenhower demanding information from Area 51 really did take place in 1958

PApagreg
05-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Pretty good issue, I continue to like how in terms of combat the Mutanimals feel very different compared to the turtles, with how more militaristic and street the former feels and how the latter operate like traditional ninjas. I really like the relationship between the two bishops and Sr's warning to Jr. My one gripe with this issue is one of Leo's line, when he said "If that truck wasn't heavily armored we would've died" I was like no s$%^ Leo, maybe thats why Sally chose an armored truck for your getaway. But like I said pretty good issue.

MikeandRaph87
05-03-2017, 04:07 PM
I had to dig for Ike threat to invade Area 51 bit. A witness claimed it in 2013. I cant find it beyond that reference. Interesting.

I was worried Slash was going to die. Perhaps it will be Bishop's father instead. Hob orders Bishop to free Slash or his father dies and given how Bishop is even if not the body transference type, will think the threat a bluff and learn the hard way.

ChosenOne
05-03-2017, 05:24 PM
I had to dig for Ike threat to invade Area 51 bit. A witness claimed it in 2013. I cant find it beyond that reference. Interesting.

I was worried Slash was going to die. Perhaps it will be Bishop's father instead. Hob orders Bishop to free Slash or his father dies and given how Bishop is even if not the body transference type, will think the threat a bluff and learn the hard way.

From a storytelling point, though, Slash is still far from in the clear. Bishop Sr. dying won't make Bishop any more against mutants than he already is, while Slash's death would definitely impact every one of his friends and allies, and provide further setup for the big war that's been hinted further down the road.

myconius
05-03-2017, 06:05 PM
one thing i really loved about this issue and hope we see more of,
was Mondo Gecko in invisible/stealth mode sneaking through the facility.
had a very Metal Gear Solid vibe going on there! :tthumbsu:

Redeemer
05-03-2017, 07:31 PM

Agreed. I think he saw Humans as the true monsters and not the alieans/creatures that they were experimenting on. Senior is trying to tell his son to not go down that path or he will become what he fears.

I must admit I was shocked to see Bishop Senior. I figured Bishop was either immortal or a clone like in the 4kids series.

ProphetofGanja
05-03-2017, 07:46 PM
So is Jr a clone of Sr or something? If he's not immortal this time around, where did his seemingly superhuman abilities come from?

Was anything Bishop did definitively superhuman? He just seemed to be a regular dude who's taken some martial arts classes to me

I do wonder if there's more than meets the eye with Bishop though...

ChosenOne
05-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Was anything Bishop did definitively superhuman? He just seemed to be a regular dude who's taken some martial arts classes to me

I do wonder if there's more than meets the eye with Bishop though...

We'd never seen a regular, unenhanced human hold his own and actually win against a mutant in this comic before, though. Makes you wonder...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-03-2017, 07:56 PM
We'd never seen a regular, unenhanced human hold his own and actually win against a mutant in this comic before, though. Makes you wonder...

Oroku Saki did it all the time. Yes, immortal because ooze but it was never shown or hinted that he had super-strength (unlike Hun).

ChosenOne
05-03-2017, 07:59 PM
I put Saki in the "enhanced" category, the ooze clearly gave him a physical edge. Not necessarily super-strength, but at the very least it kept him in prime physical condition for far longer than naturally possible. Enhanced stamina, speed, who knows. He's certainly not a mere human, not by a long shot.

Utrommaniac
05-03-2017, 08:16 PM
"Son, the furries found me!" :lol:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o191/Bat-Snake/found%20me_zpsqrvghoim.png
Another moment that couldn't be resisted

ProphetofGanja
05-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Oroku Saki did it all the time. Yes, immortal because ooze but it was never shown or hinted that he had super-strength (unlike Hun).
I put Saki in the "enhanced" category, the ooze clearly gave him a physical edge. Not necessarily super-strength, but at the very least it kept him in prime physical condition for far longer than naturally possible. Enhanced stamina, speed, who knows. He's certainly not a mere human, not by a long shot.

I think you're both kinda right. I never understood Saki's 'therapeutic mutagen bath" to alter his physicality, making him capable of more strength than a normal person, but it did definitely do something wacky, since he was able to just hibernate for, like, a hundred years or so? For a while, anyways.

Compared to Hun's mutagen treatment at least, there was very little noticeable outward physical change

Utrommaniac
05-03-2017, 08:41 PM
I think it was said to be roughly 200 years.

Technogeek29
05-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Man Raph and tranquilizers, is that a new universal constant?:lol:

Leonardo stress is a terrible thing, calm yourself big bro.

Technogeek29
05-03-2017, 09:10 PM
I think it was said to be roughly 200 years.

Besides the fact he will never physically age he is at his prime in terms of strength and intellect. I'm unsure if it gave any inhuman feats? It could just be years of training has made him a force to be reckon with.

Ninjinister
05-04-2017, 01:38 AM
So how did Hob track down Daddy B? And it just happened to be on the same day that his son visited him?

neatoman
05-04-2017, 01:59 AM
So how did Hob track down Daddy B? And it just happened to be on the same day that his son visited him?

Mondo got a hold of the HR files, Daddy Bishop was probably listed as a former agent or next of kin to Sonny Bishop. His adress was probably listed there.

Ninjinister
05-04-2017, 03:36 AM
Mondo got a hold of the HR files, Daddy Bishop was probably listed as a former agent or next of kin to Sonny Bishop. His adress was probably listed there.

Yeah I missed the panel where he's looking at the files on page 18. It still feels weird to me that he came after Daddy B that soon after his son visited, though.

Allio
05-04-2017, 06:12 AM

you're not seeing the picture.

myconius
05-04-2017, 06:34 AM
you're not seeing the picture.

i saw the picture....

it wasn't what was being said...

it was the manner in which it was being said.

something along the tone of- "i'm right, and you are wrong"

i'm not against different opinions. but when an opinions are stated as fact-

.....i call shenanigans :P

myconius
05-04-2017, 06:43 AM

i think you have something there.

Saki must have been altered from soaking in Ooze for all of those years.

In the Hun micro-series, Shredder gave him Oooze and told him it would "enhance" him.

it showed Hun shooting up the Ooze almost like steroids in that panel where he says- "i got back in shape".

Allio
05-04-2017, 06:50 AM
i saw the picture....

it wasn't what was being said...

it was the manner in which it was being said.

something along the tone of- "i'm right, and you are wrong"

i'm not against different opinions. but when an opinions are stated as fact-

.....i call shenanigans :P

Should have made my joke clearer

myconius
05-04-2017, 07:00 AM
Should have made my joke clearer

oh! that wasn't like joke? :P

CyberCubed
05-04-2017, 11:26 AM
This issue was nice, but it does seem like this story is going in a different direction than expected with Bishop's father and all. I guess it also confirms this Bishop is a normal human and hasn't lived since the 1850's like his 4kids incarnation. He might still be enchanced somehow with superhuman serum or something, but he didn't live for hundreds of years.

One thing I am disappointed with is Slash is yet another mind controlled ally against the Turtles. They did this so many times before with Dark Leo, then Kitsune controlling Alopex, etc. that seeing yet another mind control plot has gotten repetitive in this series. I was really hoping to see Bishop himself fight the Turtles or the EPF, but I guess that will happen in another story arc.

DestronMirage22
05-04-2017, 11:28 AM

Guess all good things must come to an end, right? :blanksta:

neatoman
05-04-2017, 11:38 AM
This issue was nice, but it does seem like this story is going in a different direction than expected with Bishop's father and all. I guess it also confirms this Bishop is a normal human and hasn't lived since the 1850's like his 4kids incarnation. He might still be enchanced somehow with superhuman serum or something, but he didn't live for hundreds of years.

One thing I am disappointed with is Slash is yet another mind controlled ally against the Turtles. They did this so many times before with Dark Leo, then Kitsune controlling Alopex, etc. that seeing yet another mind control plot has gotten repetitive in this series. I was really hoping to see Bishop himself fight the Turtles or the EPF, but I guess that will happen in another story arc.

Welcome back Cubed, I guess Nines is back too then? This is a relatively nice surprise, normally when I log on here on thursdays I think "Dear god, it's the day the looney bin has internet privileges...".

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Welcome back Cubed, I guess Nines is back too then? This is a relatively nice surprise, normally when I log on here on thursdays I think "Dear god, it's the day the looney bin has internet privileges...".

:tlol:

I think Bishop is far scarier when he's just a normal human. He's trained hard to be as good as he is. And he's a zealot, a bloodthirsty zealot on a one-man war. No alien encounter driving his hatred and xenophobia, just blind hatred.

DrSpengler
05-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT #69 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2017/05/tmnt-idw-69.html)

While I think Old Man Bishop could have been introduced 2 issues ago in lieu of the weird expository sequence where Bishop tells Knight all about the EPF, it's still an interesting new avenue for the character. And the ending was legitimately startling, really playing off Hob's "ends justify the means" characterization (or "eye for an eye" but that would be too cliche a pun).

Santolouco and Pattison knocked the action out of the park this issue and I dug how the gears shifted from suspenseful to fun between the escape and the car chase.