PDA

View Full Version : Love and TMNT?

DestronMirage22
05-08-2017, 11:13 PM
I'm (painfully) single so I don't know about this kind of stuff, but how well does TMNT mix with romantic relationships? Has your interest in TMNT ever affected your love life?

To those with spouses, someone their dating, or have someone they're in love with, what does the other individual think about your interest in TMNT? Are they supportive or do they not really care?

Any relationships ended because of the TMNT?

Utrommaniac
05-08-2017, 11:43 PM
My boyfriend doesn't entirely care. He certainly isn't in the fandom, but he accepts it well enough.

I think you'll find a good number of people on here are married. I think there's four or five that I know of?

Andrew NDB
05-09-2017, 12:02 AM
She humors me. That's enough.

Candy Kappa
05-09-2017, 02:49 AM
My ex-fiance hated TMNT, so that was... fun. The relationship didn't end because of TMNT, though. They got really needy and paranoid during my finals when I was doing 3D Game Design, and they broke up with me because I wasn't "committed to the relationship" and apparently "slutting around with fellow students", but they where the one having a online relationship with a Guild member on WoW :lol:

My living partner don't mind, though. We've seen a whole lot of the FW cartoon, half of NM and been watching the current Nick cartoon together, and we've seen the 1990 and 2007 movie together. She also have a favorite turtle, and I gifted her a Mutatin' Donatello that she likes.

MsMarvelDuckie
05-09-2017, 04:29 AM
My other half is not a fan per se but he will watch it with me and doesn't mind that I like it. He teases me occassionally about being "obsessed" due to the number of figures and comics I have bought but that's it.

Katie
05-09-2017, 05:56 AM
Never been a problem for me.

Of course My SO and I met here so....:D

Stryker isn't active here much anymore, but he's still into the Turtles. I'm just a little more in than he is.

Before I was with Stryker, I had a fiance who was killed in a car accident. He was not into TMNT but didn't mind that I was. He died around the time that the 2K3 show came out and I remember one day we were in WalMart and I saw the toys. I didn't even know there was a new show coming out. He bought me a Leonardo. I didn't have the heart to tell him Leo was my least favorite :P. I still have it though.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-09-2017, 07:54 AM
I convinced her to like TMNT and Star Trek, she got me hooked on Tolkien and fantasy in general.

CyberCubed
05-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Why on earth would liking TMNT be a problem in a relationship? It's not like people will always like whatever shows/cartoons/movies/comics, etc. that your significant other likes.

Andrew NDB
05-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Why on earth would liking TMNT be a problem in a relationship?

Like with new friends, it's generally a bit of an embarrassment. It always goes about the same way.

"Oh... TMNT. Huh. Really?"

"Yeah, they're cool."

"Yeah, I used to like the cartoon. When I was 5."

"No, no no, not that. I don't like that at all."

And it becomes this big, awkward educating about the Mirage TMNT that never quite feels like I've actually gotten anywhere and possibly just dug myself in an even deeper, geekier hole.

Vegita-San
05-09-2017, 01:00 PM
i'd actually prefer if they where not a fan.

some of the more extreme turtle fans are a little on the unique side.

my hope is that they'd like it, they enjoy watching it when it's on, but if it's not on the tv, they don't give it another moments thought :).

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Like with new friends, it's generally a bit of an embarrassment. It always goes about the same way.

"Yeah, they're cool."

And it becomes this big, awkward educating about the Mirage TMNT that never quite feels like I've actually gotten anywhere and possibly just dug myself in an even deeper, geekier hole.

Literally every first conversation I've had with ANYONE on the TMNT since grade school. And usually also the last conversation. :trazz:

Andrew NDB
05-09-2017, 01:15 PM
Literally every first conversation I've had with ANYONE on the TMNT since grade school. And usually also the last conversation. :trazz:

Right?

And even if they listen or hear me out, I still feel like there is this lurking doubt within them. Like they're thinking to themself, "Whatever, you're just making this up" or worse, "Yeah right, I bet you really do like the TMNT cartoon. I bet you play with a Bebop doll, don't you?".

FredWolfLeonardo
05-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Right?

And even if they listen or hear me out, I still feel like there is this lurking doubt within them. Like they're thinking to themself, "Whatever, you're just making this up" or worse, "Yeah right, I bet you really do like the TMNT cartoon. I bet you play with a Bebop doll, don't you?".

But dont you like the FW cartoon? I thought 80s Leo was your fave.

Andrew NDB
05-09-2017, 01:47 PM
But dont you like the FW cartoon? I thought 80s Leo was your fave.

I do not. And no he's not.

DestronMirage22
05-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Have you dated anyone before?

No.
I've never even been close enough to anyone to consider them a true friend, much less met any girl that was interested in me and wasn't a total ditz.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Right?

I hear you. I always feel like they think I'm overcompensating when I start talking about the comics. "Uh huh... sure... black and white, really? Reaaally. Sure."

Thanks to IDW's reprints, now whenever somebody new hears me mention TMNT, I take them upstairs to my office and show them the Mirage "City at War" hardbacks or "Return to New York." That proves my point that TMNT isn't just "pizza Bebop and Rocksteady Cowabunga" pretty quickly.

Andrew NDB
05-09-2017, 01:57 PM
My living partner don't mind, though.

Does your dead partner mind?

Candy Kappa
05-09-2017, 02:01 PM
Does your dead partner mind?

Pretty sure they're responsible for toppling over my figures, so probably not :lol:

Ninjinister
05-09-2017, 03:06 PM
I once dated a girl that I met here. It was nice being around someone who knew who I was talking about when I said names like Dooney and Lawson.

My last girlfriend was a semi-casual fan... knew most of the basic characters but didn't keep "in" on anything past Turtles Forever and forgets Laird and Eastman's names all the time (I don't fault her for this as I forget my own name a lot). I have some prints of a couple arts she did of Sophie Campbell's fan comic designs that she gave me for Christmas. We still talk all the time though so we sill discuss the series a lot.

Andrew NDB
05-09-2017, 03:21 PM
I once dated a girl that I met here.

That was your first mistake.

Netkeeper
05-09-2017, 03:44 PM
:lol:

I think just about every partner I've had has had a casual enjoyment of the TMNT, or at least doesn't care that it's one of my fandoms. I've always dated other fandom people though, I don't date anyone that isn't in a fandom, I can't relate at all. What do people that don't do fan stuff even do with their time. How boring of an existence.

IndigoErth
05-09-2017, 04:46 PM
What do people that don't do fan stuff even do with their time.
Probably still subscribe to the notion that adulthood is supposed to be boring. How sad.

In a day and age where many at the very least geek out over popular series like Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc., if someone doesn't have, at minimum, at least one thing along those lines that they're at least a little passionate about... Wow. Reading the stock market numbers in the Wall Street Journal every day is probably the most interesting they get. lol

Vegita-San
05-09-2017, 04:49 PM
Probably still subscribe to the notion that adulthood is supposed to be boring. How sad.

i don't think you need to be in a fandom to have an interesting life.

but you SHOULD have some kind of passion that drives you to do something special.

just existing and being nice to each other is fine. but where is the fun in that? :)

Andrew NDB
05-09-2017, 04:57 PM

In a day and age where many at the very least geek out over popular series like Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc., if someone doesn't have, at minimum, at least one thing along those lines that they're at least a little passionate about... Wow. Reading the stock market numbers in the Wall Street Journal every day is probably the most interesting they get. lol

Hey, there's actually people like that out there. They don't enjoy movies, television shows... just as one example, I know more than a couple in real life whose seemingly sole passion is just coming home, turning on the news and, like, spending hours getting worked up watching political commentators pointing out all the things Trump did or said wrong on a given day and how "Any day now!!!" he's going to be impeached and/or in prison. It never happens, of course, so they just keep getting madder and madder everyday.

It's not healthy, really.

Ninjinister
05-09-2017, 06:06 PM

I disagree.

IndigoErth
05-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Hey, there's actually people like that out there. They don't enjoy movies, television shows... just as one example, I know more than a couple in real life whose seemingly sole passion is just coming home, turning on the news and, like, spending hours getting worked up watching political commentators pointing out all the things Trump did or said wrong on a given day and how "Any day now!!!" he's going to be impeached and/or in prison. It never happens, of course, so they just keep getting madder and madder everyday.

It's not healthy, really.
I agree, it's not. Political drama and gossip is best left as a guilty pleasure or aggravation in small doses... then balanced with other better interests to counter it. But some people seem to enjoy having something to be mad about and actively hunt for it. Too toxic to be a daily thing though imo.

More along the lines of the thread topic...

I'm kind of torn on whether or not I'd want a significant other to be into TMNT. It might be nice to share the interest, but on the other hand, having it as your own thing might be nicer. I might rather that they liked and respected it, maybe enough to name a fave Turtle, but it just wasn't something they were particularly big on, and via versa with their own fan interest. Now, if a guy can't respect it, or worse, belittles it, even if he thinks it's only harmless teasing, then it's not going to work out, sorry.

BubblyShell22
05-10-2017, 06:47 AM
My ex was a fan and we talked about the 2003 series in college all of the time when it aired. Nowadays, when I e-mail him and try to get him involved in a conversation about anything or ask him anything, he ignores me. So, I've decided to just stay single and live that way forever. Much easier for me and there's no shame in being single anyway.

Andrew NDB
05-10-2017, 10:41 AM
My ex was a fan and we talked about the 2003 series in college all of the time when it aired. Nowadays, when I e-mail him and try to get him involved in a conversation about anything or ask him anything, he ignores me. So, I've decided to just stay single and live that way forever.

That's a pretty defeatist attitude.

DestronMirage22
05-10-2017, 10:51 AM

Can you really blame her though?
Sometimes no matter how much you hope and try things just don't work out the way you wanted.
You gave it your best, but maybe your best wasn't good enough.
Seems to me like accepting that some things'll never happen is better than to continue trying and continueing the pain.

Andrew NDB
05-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Sometimes no matter how much you hope and try things just don't work out the way you wanted.
Seems to me like accepting that some things'll never happen is better than to continue trying and continueing the pain.

Join a gym, feel better about yourself. Come back swinging. Lots of eligible crazy people out there that love TMNT that would date y'all, if that's the criteria you're looking at.

BubblyShell22
05-10-2017, 03:24 PM

No, it isn't. I feel that since I don't want to get married or have children, there's really no point in me having a relationship. I like being alone better than being with people anyway and I just said there's no shame in being single. If it was a defeatist attitude, I would be crying about it and I'm not going to do that.

Join a gym, feel better about yourself. Come back swinging. Lots of eligible crazy people out there that love TMNT that would date y'all, if that's the criteria you're looking at.

I don't need to join a gym and don't want to. This isn't a weight issue or me thinking that I don't look good enough for a guy to look at me. I just don't want to waste time with something that isn't going to go anywhere. Being single works for me and it gives me the freedom to do what I want to do.

Stephen
05-10-2017, 04:31 PM
I don't need to join a gym and don't want to.

I think he was referring to DestronMirage22 - that he should join a gym.

DestronMirage22
05-10-2017, 06:29 PM

I already go to the gym. Anyways how would that help me in my current situation? It's kinda a weird suggestion. I'm not exactly fat, so there's no issue with that. And besides, what would be the point in changing that of myself if I was fat? Shouldn't a love interest care for me as I am?

Stephen
05-10-2017, 06:50 PM
And besides, what would be the point in changing that of myself if I was fat? Shouldn't a love interest care for me as I am?

To some extent, they should accept you as you are. Other times it might be necessary to make compromises, if it's something that would be detrimental to the relationship and cause a lot of conflict.

For example, one person might want to engage in sexual activities, the other might be uncomfortable with their body and not want to be seen naked by someone else.

Netkeeper
05-10-2017, 07:08 PM
i don't think you need to be in a fandom to have an interesting life.
Never said that but I wouldn't be able to date them which is what this was about

IndigoErth
05-10-2017, 09:10 PM
I kinda like that requirement... Change "What's your sign?" into "What's your fandom?" :D (On a broad basis of what that might mean.) That might be a better compatibility indicator.

sdp
05-10-2017, 09:21 PM
We've had this thread before, basically yes being a fan of anything geeky even if it's more acceptable now will not necessarily go very well if your significant other is not into geeky entertainment. Which in my case I prefer my significant other not to be too into as I tend to have more things in common.

I mean especially if you have a huge collection of memorabilia, and yeah the general reaction depends on the person, some don't care, some make it an issue and most don't necessarily understand it but can live with it.

"Yeah, they're cool."

:lol: I can imagine the new friend being even more freaked out by Andrew's geeky ass explanation of why he doesn't like those turtles than him actually liking the turtles.

ProphetofGanja
05-10-2017, 10:02 PM
I think it's healthy for everybody to have their thing, be it music, movies, a TV/comics/video game fandom, sports, politics, art, fashion, pets, whatever, people need an outlet for expression. It's always possible to take it too far though, but the other end is those people who do nothing, are not interesting and give the impression that they'd taste like wet paper if they were a flavor :lol:

While there's nothing wrong with being single and content I would also urge you not to write off the possibility of ever finding someone! I think the trick lies in part in not seeking out someone, but simply allowing yourself opportunities for chance encounters and whatnot, and that may mean coming out of your shell a bit (see what I did there?? :lol: ) If you find that you spend a lot of time at home, try to get out more, either the bookstore or library or community events, and just don't be afraid to talk to people and don't put any pressure on yourself.

A relationship with the wrong person can be hell but when you find someone that is right for you, it can be the best thing in the world. "Love is the sweetest thing" and all that jazz

IndigoErth
05-10-2017, 10:11 PM
politics,...pets
Tell you what though, the politic, relgion, pet, and kid people on FB are lucky I don't post Turtle stuff much at all (usually only indirectly related), and esp not at the same rate as they share those topics. Now that would look a bit much. lol Why is it normal for other things?? :P

But maybe I should do that. For every overshare of a pets or children... here's a pic of one of my Turtle figures in return. :tlol:

BubblyShell22
05-11-2017, 06:51 AM

Ah, I see. Didn't catch that.

DisKosh
05-11-2017, 11:15 AM
Why on earth would liking TMNT be a problem in a relationship? It's not like people will always like whatever shows/cartoons/movies/comics, etc. that your significant other likes.

It can be, my ex made several nasty comments about things I like for instance saying I'm strange because I listen to a lot of musical theatre and calling my favourite historical figure, Joseph Merrick, a 'retard'.
There were other things going on but these comments upset me and definitely contributed to me breaking up with him.

Anyway, my current boyfriend likes TMNT, not as much as I do but that's fine. :tsmile:

Netkeeper
05-11-2017, 02:30 PM
But maybe I should do that. For every overshare of a pets or children... here's a pic of one of my Turtle figures in return. :tlol:
Do it. When they dote over their preshus babies, post a pic of a Leo figure and say "LOOK IT'S MY BABY!!" :lol:

BubblyShell22
05-11-2017, 03:20 PM
I second that, Indigo. See what people say.

IndigoErth
05-11-2017, 03:28 PM

You know, if someone really wanted to troll people on FB, the Build A Bear Turtles and all the outfits and junk that store sells has serious potential... But that would be so messed up. :lol:

Netkeeper
05-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Messed up? That's a funny way of saying "the best idea ever".

IndigoErth
05-11-2017, 07:58 PM
lol Someone else can feel free to steal it then. Not really the trolling type and the pet/child over-sharers I know on FB would catch on too fast; nor are they people I want to offend with mockery. Still an amusing thought though. (Picturing an artsy series of plushie Turtle pics in raincoats and other junk with special camera filters... :D)

Netkeeper
05-11-2017, 08:28 PM
You can do that with instagram and it'd probably be pretty fun

myconius
05-12-2017, 06:45 AM
my girlfriend loves Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

it's one of the many things we've bonded over. :tsmile:

Vegita-San
05-13-2017, 09:09 AM
the thing i want to know is, why couldn't women have gotten into nerdy things when i was 22 rather than 38?

I see so many good looking perfect matches on twitter, and it's just depressing knowing most are at least 12 years to young. sigh.fml :)

IndigoErth
05-13-2017, 11:12 AM
and it's just depressing knowing most are at least 12 years to young
Well I can certainly relate to that.

I don't know how many times I've seen some decent looking guy and thought, yeah, and he's probably only 25... I can kind of understand a little how some people end up "cougars," but I could not do that, it just seems so wrong.

plastroncafe
05-13-2017, 11:25 AM
We were into nerdy things when we were young.
We're still into nerdy things now that we're not.

It's likely you just didn't see us, because the places you kept to treated us like crap.

Heck, back in high school I'm the one that got my boyfriend addicted to comics.

As for my turtle stuff?
The only friction I get is from my mother, and one of my roommates.
I've never had a partner complain.

Candy Kappa
05-13-2017, 11:38 AM
the thing i want to know is, why couldn't women have gotten into nerdy things when i was 22 rather than 38?

I see so many good looking perfect matches on twitter, and it's just depressing knowing most are at least 12 years to young. sigh.fml :)

The majority of nerds where ladies before it all became a Boys Club. Star Trek fanzines and Fan-fics, majority of D&D players where women before the shift of "women are from hell" trope and chainmail bikinis. gamers in the 80's before the crash.

Nowadays it's okay to be a nerd again, as soon as you answer gatekeeping dudebros questions to verify your geekdom, and not be some skanky hussy cosplaying for that sweaty nerd D :lol:

plastroncafe
05-13-2017, 11:43 AM
The majority of nerds where ladies before it all became a Boys Club. Star Trek fanzines and Fan-fics, majority of D&D players where women before the shift of "women are from hell" trope and chainmail bikinis. gamers in the 80's before the crash.

Nowadays it's okay to be a nerd again, as soon as you answer gatekeeping dudebros questions to verify your geekdom, and not be some skanky hussy cosplaying for that sweaty nerd D :lol:

And you can't have pointy elbows.
They hate that.
Way below their standards.

Vegita-San
05-13-2017, 12:18 PM
Well I can certainly relate to that.

I don't know how many times I've seen some decent looking guy and thought, yeah, and he's probably only 25... I can kind of understand a little how some people end up "cougars," but I could not do that, it just seems so wrong.

There where no local comic cons back then to hook up. most we had where a rare star trek con, but those where expensive!

and the thought of meeting some total stranger on a then budding internet was kind of scary :). and lord forbid you wore a turtles shirt to any kind of school, you where likely to be picked on, so ican understand why any one would be hiding :)

sigh...

Cure
05-13-2017, 12:24 PM

I never understood the gatekeeping thing. Why do they feel the need to quiz people who are even slightly interested? Every fan is a "true" fan.

CyberCubed
05-13-2017, 12:49 PM
the thing i want to know is, why couldn't women have gotten into nerdy things when i was 22 rather than 38? )

If you're seriously 38 years old, I don't know why you can find girls in their early/mid 30's who like geeky things. Only problem is they're far more likely to be single mothers at this point since most have likely divorced their first husband by then.

Ninjinister
05-13-2017, 01:05 PM
I never understood the gatekeeping thing. Why do they feel the need to quiz people who are even slightly interested? Every fan is a "true" fan.

I sometimes worry when I start asking questions that I come off this way, when really I just am curious who/what the person's favorites are. I'm sure when it's women who I'm talking to, even more may feel this way.

Then again the questions are more "What is your favorite Lantern Corps?" and not something like "I bet you can't name all of the Lantern Corps."

plastroncafe
05-13-2017, 02:10 PM

Would that were the case...

MsMarvelDuckie
05-13-2017, 04:38 PM
Back when we ladies were kids, even guys who were "geeks/nerds" were seen as pariahs. Imagine how much worse it was to be a "geekgirl"! You'd be instantly shunned as unfit for dating material. Given the social conditioning most girls are fed to believe that having a relationship and being a mom/wife are the keys to their happiness and future it is entirely expected that geekgirls would have stayed underground.

Vegita-San
05-13-2017, 04:41 PM
I sometimes worry when I start asking questions that I come off this way, when really I just am curious who/what the person's favorites are. I'm sure when it's women who I'm talking to, even more may feel this way.

Then again the questions are more "What is your favorite Lantern Corps?" and not something like "I bet you can't name all of the Lantern Corps."

sounds like a bit of revisionist history to me. at least from my experiences ;o).

the only people who i knew who where aggressive about testing your knowledge WHERE the girls ;o)...the guys usually cared less :).

and i guess it wasnt uncommon for people back in the day to want to know how much you knew and vice versa.

these days, however, it DOES seem like more of an 'i know more than you do' competition when it comes up on occasion and if you're in the wrong sections of the net.

Vegita-San
05-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Back when we ladies were kids, even guys who were "geeks/nerds" were seen as pariahs. Imagine how much worse it was to be a "geekgirl"! You'd be instantly shunned as unfit for dating material. .

wasn't much different for us either. :).

Netkeeper
05-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Oh man I never thought about it like that :teek: Hopefully the fact that its opinion-related keeps it from coming off that way. Because I like knowing people's faves too.

MsMarvelDuckie
05-13-2017, 05:09 PM

True enough but guys are not taught to see having a mate as their main purpose in life the way girls are. For a girl to be known as a nerd or geek was essentially a social death sentance on multiple levels. Not only would they be mocked or tormented by other girls (and guys of course) but their entire social status could be reduced to "undateable" throughout her teen years and even worse as an adult. (Because they are "too old" for geek interests like games and comics by then.) Back then it was a torpedo straight to the love-life, and gossip and reputation are so ingrained as part of a girl's social status that it could ruin any chance of having a relationship. For girls that is a devestating blow to self-worth.

BubblyShell22
05-13-2017, 06:05 PM
Yep, if you were a nerd, you were uncool. In my school if you weren't into sports, you were pretty much deemed uncool no matter what. I fit in more with the choir people and the drama people. Never had an interest in sports and wasn't athletic for it anyway.

plastroncafe
05-13-2017, 09:19 PM
sounds like a bit of revisionist history to me. at least from my experiences ;o).

Just because your experiences were different doesn't mean we're revising ours.
By framing it that way you're calling us liars.

I'll never forget the Detroit Comic Booth at SDCC in 2016, and the dude who worked there who tried to school me on TMNT stuff.
His buddy even leaned towards me, to stage whisper.
"He knows what he's talking about, he has all the comics. Trust me."

Yes it was.
By your own admission:
"the thing i want to know is, why couldn't women have gotten into nerdy things when i was 22 rather than 38?"

We were so shunned and deemed undatable that you nerd boys didn't even notice we existed. To the point where 16 years later you're bemoaning the fact that we weren't there.

When we were.
That's the difference.

Ninjinister
05-13-2017, 10:24 PM

This is life, mate. Your experiences will vary. I never even heard of this "fake geek girl" thing until like two years ago. I have always just wanted to know what people liked and if our interests lined up. But I've had so many people behave aggressively (guys and girls) thinking I'm hitting on them just for commenting on their shirt or being courteous that it gets to be where I just try to avoid random people altogether. I'm sure a lot of them have good reason to, like they've been subjected to horrible behavior before or maybe I'm just an awkward son of a bitch.

Vegita-San
05-14-2017, 06:51 PM
True enough but guys are not taught to see having a mate as their main purpose in life the way girls are. For a girl to be known as a nerd or geek was essentially a social death sentance on multiple levels. Not only would they be mocked or tormented by other girls (and guys of course) but their entire social status could be reduced to "undateable" throughout her teen years and even worse as an adult. (Because they are "too old" for geek interests like games and comics by then.) Back then it was a torpedo straight to the love-life, and gossip and reputation are so ingrained as part of a girl's social status that it could ruin any chance of having a relationship. For girls that is a devestating blow to self-worth.

again, doesn't sound like all that much of a difference between the girls side and the guys side. apart from the expecting to be a home maker thing :).

about the only thing that might be different on the guys side, is guys are expected to like things like sci fi movies more 20 years ago. these days it's more or less equal footing.

Vegita-San
05-14-2017, 06:53 PM
This is life, mate. Your experiences will vary. I never even heard of this "fake geek girl" thing until like two years ago. I have always just wanted to know what people liked and if our interests lined up. But I've had so many people behave aggressively (guys and girls) thinking I'm hitting on them just for commenting on their shirt or being courteous that it gets to be where I just try to avoid random people altogether. I'm sure a lot of them have good reason to, like they've been subjected to horrible behavior before or maybe I'm just an awkward son of a bitch.

The 'fake geek girl'.....i think these do exist. but mostly relegated to things like booth babes who are just there for a pay check and could really care less.
you also DEFINITELY have fake geek guys. I think the whole nerdist operation falls into that category, but that's a whole nother thread ;o).

Coola Yagami
05-14-2017, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I would think fake geek girls work at places that sell geek stuff, and they're just there for a paycheck and don't really care about or follow the series the stuff they're selling is based on. But that's everybody, male and female, and that's every job, geek-related or not.

Now I do know of fake geek guys who want to get into some geek girl's pants and pretend to be a fellow geek until they get what they want... sad but true. But I've never heard of a girl pretending to be a geek because she's fallen head over heels over a geeky guy and wants to impress them.

As for me, hmmmm. I remember one girl in grade school that liked me and thought the turtles in particular were dumb. She loved the Police Academy cartoon and whatever else was on at the time, but she thought the turtles were dumb. The ex-wife loved the 80's show and followed the 2K3 well enough, but by the time we got the NickToon and Bay Movies, she had outgrown them and felt the Turtles should be left in the past and they're not worth rebooting.

The last gf I had was very into the Nick show but eventually lost interest, mostly due to scheduling, work getting in the way and just not caring about the drawn out woods/space arcs and whatnot. I may occasionally update her with major events, and she might ask me questions, but she doesn't care enough to catch up on them.

Any other girl I been with either didn't last enough to learn of my TMNT fandom, or it was during the non-TMNT days before the 2K3 series brought it back, so they were practically a non-issue. I remembered back then in 99 or 2000 wondering if they ever going to bring the TMNT back and how bad-ass they would have been with a modern update that would allow actual martial arts action, and lo and behold, not only did they return in 2003, they never left after that.

But yeah, TMNT is one of the things I like, like Batman, Street Fighter and the SNK fighting games. It's just a hobby since I have to devote my time to work and real life stuff, like keeping a tidy apartment and whatnot, so it's not really a big deal if a girl knows I like them or not. It's not a make or break. Everyone is entitled to their own hobbies they can do on their own time and are not forced to be glued to their SO's 24/7.

Candy Kappa
05-15-2017, 04:12 AM
The 'fake geek girl'.....i think these do exist. but mostly relegated to things like booth babes who are just there for a pay check

That's not a "fake Geek Girl" that's a hired model trying to do their job. There's devoted cosplayers that puts hours, blood, sweat and tears into their costumes and gets berated for not knowing what happened in Detective Comics #137. or does a amazing Duela Dent costume and gets slag for trying too hard to entice boys as "a Genderbent Steampunk Joker"

The only story I've heard about a "fake geek girl" is what my friend in the UK told me. Her sister started hanging out at the Gaming store, and while she wasn't interested in any geeky stuff she had the guys flock around her and buy her all sort of stuff. She even proclaimed herself as "Queen of the nerds" :lol: and when she got bored of it, she stopped coming over to the store.

ProactiveMan
05-15-2017, 11:49 PM
I don’t approve of the fake geek label - it’s very cliquey and juvenile. What is a geek anyway? That term is so ill-defined that I don’t know how anyone can say someone is a fake geek with any authority. If you’re worried about people infiltrating your subculture with the intention of exploiting it or you, take a step back. Geek culture is essentially a celebration of being exploited. What difference does it make if it’s a twitch streamer cashing in or Walt Disney?

Ninjinister
05-16-2017, 12:16 AM
I don’t approve of the fake geek label - it’s very cliquey and juvenile. What is a geek anyway? That term is so ill-defined that I don’t know how anyone can say someone is a fake geek with any authority. If you’re worried about people infiltrating your subculture with the intention of exploiting it or you, take a step back. Geek culture is essentially a celebration of being exploited. What difference does it make if it’s a twitch streamer cashing in or Walt Disney?

I don't even like being called a geek, or nerd, or whatever. It seems so... derogatory. I'm just a person who likes stuff.

Cure
05-16-2017, 12:34 AM
I don't even like being called a geek, or nerd, or whatever. It seems so... derogatory. I'm just a person who likes stuff.

I agree with this. Same with gamer. Ick. I'll just say I play games.

IndigoErth
05-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Me too.

I'm relatively comfortable with it used in terms of an interests (like "what's your geek hobby?"), but still don't care for it as a personal label. But living through at least a few decades of it being a negative, outcasting thing kind of does that.

It's fortunate that maybe many kids these days won't grow up with the same perspective on it.

plastroncafe
05-16-2017, 11:46 AM
To each their own, I'm rather proud of being a geek.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-16-2017, 12:01 PM
To each their own, I'm rather proud of being a geek.

Same. I own that label proudly.

EDIT: I mean, I write, read, and watch stories. That's what I do. What do I expect to be called, a jock? :trazz:

Cure
05-16-2017, 12:18 PM
EDIT: I mean, I write, read, and watch stories. That's what I do. What do I expect to be called, a jock? :trazz:

It's about not wanting to be labeled at all. Wanting to be called a person, a human being.

Andrew NDB
05-16-2017, 12:20 PM

Pretty much. A little while ago I was talking to a Mexican ladyfriend and she kept mispronouncing "The Avengers." She was saying, "The Abengers." Not because she has an accent (she does not), but because she really thought that's how you say it. I corrected her. She chuckled and said, "Oh I forgot, you're a geek!"

I dunno... don't most people know how to say "The Avengers"? That's a thing, isn't it? I could be called a geek for many things but I feel like... not that?

On point, the "geek" thing seems a little fuzzy.

MsMarvelDuckie
05-16-2017, 04:25 PM
again, doesn't sound like all that much of a difference between the girls side and the guys side. apart from the expecting to be a home maker thing :).

about the only thing that might be different on the guys side, is guys are expected to like things like sci fi movies more 20 years ago. these days it's more or less equal footing.

That's the thing though. Guys were EXPECTED to like sci-fi things because they were the ones the stuff was aimed at. Girls who liked it were seen as- odd. Even a little "off" because it wasn't "girly" or whatever. And even worse if it was cartoons or comics because not only were they FOR guys they were considered to immature for older kids at all so a girl who was into that stuff was doubly weird- both for being "too old" AND the wrong gender for it! Girls were supposed to like Barbie and My Little Pony if they were little, and maybe Saved By the Bell or something if older(for the relationship stuff). Certainly NOT TMNT or Transformers or Spider-Man!

As a guy, at least YOU would have been the "right" gender to be acceptable to like something like TMNT. We girls- weren't. Acceptable to like it, even by the guys who did, too! No wonder we kept it quiet, if even our fellow fans wouldn't allow us into their ranks!

Vegita-San
05-16-2017, 06:38 PM
understood.
and yet, if you went to a school full of jerks, of course we experienced the same harshness ;o)...

and nothing wrong with liking saved by the bell. at least the first class. why did i admit that? :)

that show was horrible :)

ProactiveMan
05-16-2017, 06:43 PM
I remember a kid grabbing me by the back of the neck and trying to force feed me a whole pomegranate because another kid and I were talking too much about video games. That kind of thing happened a lot - I can't tell you how many times I got into hot water for drawing Ninja Turtles.

Ninjinister
05-16-2017, 06:43 PM
I agree with this. Same with gamer. Ick. I'll just say I play games.

Yeah this one too. Despite having a lot in my life that have to do with games, I can't bring myself to call myself one.

It's why I don't feel like fan bases with nicknames feel right, either.

Rooish
05-16-2017, 07:56 PM
I guess I had better luck than some. I doodled turtles all through high school and although I certainly wasn't a cool kid, I think my quirk was somewhat appreciated.

I certainly didn't tell my partner on the first date or something, but when I mentioned the turtles she wasn't that weirded out. She knew what she was getting into as I'm kind of geeky in general. She liked the Turtles as a kid (granted, she was a kid). I ranted philosophically about the Mirage turtles and she seemed to appreciate why I liked them.

I then showed her the 1990 movie again and she found the characters so one-dimensional she told me she didn't quite get it. I told her it was a visceral thing and I couldn't explain. I don't think she would read the comics.

But she doesn't mind, and she will be tolerating four 1/4 scale turtles in our little apartment, so I can't complain.

plastroncafe
05-16-2017, 10:10 PM
It's about not wanting to be labeled at all. Wanting to be called a person, a human being.

Which, in and of itself, is a label...is it not?

That's the thing though. Guys were EXPECTED to like sci-fi things because they were the ones the stuff was aimed at. Girls who liked it were seen as- odd. Even a little "off" because it wasn't "girly" or whatever. And even worse if it was cartoons or comics because not only were they FOR guys they were considered to immature for older kids at all so a girl who was into that stuff was doubly weird- both for being "too old" AND the wrong gender for it! Girls were supposed to like Barbie and My Little Pony if they were little, and maybe Saved By the Bell or something if older(for the relationship stuff). Certainly NOT TMNT or Transformers or Spider-Man!

As a guy, at least YOU would have been the "right" gender to be acceptable to like something like TMNT. We girls- weren't. Acceptable to like it, even by the guys who did, too! No wonder we kept it quiet, if even our fellow fans wouldn't allow us into their ranks!

Preach, on Sister.
Preach on!

Yeah this one too. Despite having a lot in my life that have to do with games, I can't bring myself to call myself one.

It's why I don't feel like fan bases with nicknames feel right, either.

Gamer's a loaded term now, thanks to Gatekeepers.

Netkeeper
05-16-2017, 11:52 PM
;o)...
Legit not trying to troll but why do you use this creepy ass face

Like I'm not mad I'm curious

Cure
05-17-2017, 12:53 AM
Which, in and of itself, is a label...is it not?

No, of course not.

FearlessLeader
06-15-2017, 09:14 PM
I've had mixed reactions from boyfriends over the years, some thought it was cool, some didn't care at all and would watch episodes with me to be nice, but I did have one boyfriend that got really jealous of Leonardo. Like threw one of my plushies across the room yelling that I liked Leo more than him. He wasn't wrong because I pretty much dumped him right there for being nuts. Fun times in my 20s :trolleye:

IndigoErth
06-15-2017, 10:11 PM
but I did have one boyfriend that got really jealous of Leonardo. Like threw one of my plushies across the room yelling that I liked Leo more than him.
:tlol: Yeah, that just doesn't fly, insulting Turtle affections like that, that's sacred ground. :trazz: I'd have ditched his butt too, being jealous over a fictional character. (But I'm willing to play fair; a guy could have his "other woman," too, provided she's also fictional or some celeb he'll never meet.)

For his sake I hope he grew up since then.

Cure
06-15-2017, 11:22 PM

Funny, I would think the person with enough of an emotional attachment to a fictional character to get in the way of a relationship is the one who needs to grow up.

IndigoErth
06-16-2017, 12:30 AM
Preeeety sure for most who are worth being with that isn't even going to be an issue.

If you aren't a priority, well then I guess either it's a bad match or you suck, either way time to move on.

FearlessLeader
06-16-2017, 06:53 AM
Funny, I would think the person with enough of an emotional attachment to a fictional character to get in the way of a relationship is the one who needs to grow up.

Except it wasn't an emotional attachment to a fictional character that got in the way of the relationship. Him throwing a fit about a character that didn't exist was a sign to me that maybe he wasn't emotionally stable enough to be in a relationship with. We hadn't even been dating for that long and for him to get physically upset over something that uninvolved with the reality of everyday life was frankly kinda off-putting for me.

But hey I've ended up happy and productive in my life so you know whatever. :tlol:

:tlol: Yeah, that just doesn't fly, insulting Turtle affections like that, that's sacred ground. :trazz: I'd have ditched his butt too, being jealous over a fictional character. (But I'm willing to play fair; a guy could have his "other woman," too, provided she's also fictional or some celeb he'll never meet.)

I like when people have their "thing" they are passionate it about. Being it a show, a game or even a sports team. I just find that kind of person more interesting and well rounded personally, so I totally get what you're saying.

ZariusTwo
06-17-2017, 11:08 AM
I've had mixed reactions from boyfriends over the years, some thought it was cool, some didn't care at all and would watch episodes with me to be nice, but I did have one boyfriend that got really jealous of Leonardo. Like threw one of my plushies across the room yelling that I liked Leo more than him. He wasn't wrong because I pretty much dumped him right there for being nuts. Fun times in my 20s :trolleye:

It's always interesting to see how our investments in these characters can test the emotional durability of the world around us and help to inform our life choices:)

NeonTurtledude
09-05-2022, 09:39 AM
I'd love to have a partner into TMNT, we'd have so much to talk about and enjoy together.....but it would have to depend on the person.

I'm usually fine with people with different opinions on the shows we both enjoy, but I'm someone who likes Rise, Coming out of their shells and other things aren't really "well-liked" by most fans and I can appreciate the Fred wolf series for it's campyness,art style and cool characters.

it is weird though how like out of all the cartoons with "strange concepts" that people love talking about like Spongebob, Invader Zim, Rick and Morty, Adventure Time and various anime... that TMNT is the one where non-fans or people who outgrew the cartoons will be like
"no that's too ridiculous even for me"

while I've been a long-time fan of TMNT, my love for it did take a backseat in my early to mid-teens when I got into other interests, wasn't until it reemerged in march of last year and then more intensely this year that I got to embrace my love for it again, so when I met my first "ex" we didn't mention tmnt at all, I know my other ex does like tmnt but I don't think we talked about it at the time.

Prowler
10-12-2022, 09:29 PM

"Yeah, they're cool."

Pretty much.

Saying you like TMNT is like saying you like pro wrestling or Sesame Street. People will think you're some sort of man-child. I mean, I guess they're kind of right :lol: but yeah people only know the 1987 series and the first 3 movies.

Liking TMNT isn't as socially acceptable as liking Batman or Marvel superheroes. No one takes TMNT seriously, let's face it.

Anyway, since I haven't been a teenager in a long time, liking TMNT or not is a non-factor when it comes to this thread's subject. Once you reach a certain age, no one cares if you watch cartoons, anime or play a lot of video games. No one is trying to come across as more mature than they actually are anymore.

Powder
10-14-2022, 06:55 PM
It has never impeded me romantically. On the contrary, it has either helped, or been an otherwise positive thing that doesn't get in the way. Never once been criticized for it by a chick I was pursuing, or really anyone at all, for the most part. Part of that has to do with the fact I'm not a normie in the first place. I don't really associate with people who aren't completely mentally unhinged or obsessed with something nerdy, honestly. :tlol: I like toy collectors, artists, musicians, weirdos. They always get it. Even in a toxic environment like the underground hip-hop scene, where people go really hard at trying to appear tough/masculine, everybody's got a comic book or horror movie series or something that they adore.

One chick I dated was only a very casual fan but actually fell for me because of my TMNT obsession. That was pretty cool. When I explained just how much it meant to me & why, that was apparently a green flag for the merit of my character. It showed that I was passionate about something, sought a positive outlet when at my worst, was a kid at heart, etc. Felt really good about that when she told me. We didn't share TMNT together, but it didn't complicate things whatsoever. She'd wear one of her TMNT shirts when we linked up & stuff to be cute.

Another chick I was with wasn't into it whatsoever but still made fan art for me & even bought TMNT undies to show off. That was pretty solid too. :trazz:

My shorty who I've now been with for almost 4 years grew up watching the 4kids series (we're a few years apart) & has always had a peripheral fondness, though probably wouldn't call themselves a fan, per se. Nonetheless, because we are both major geeks who fixate on childhood favorites (theirs are Sonic/Digimon) we humor each other completely, & take in the various forms of media as a couple. We play Shredders Revenge together, they'll watch episodes or flicks with me on occasion, I excitedly show off new figures & the like. I've been gifted a lot of really incredible TMNT goods, fan art, autographs, & we've even co-developed turtle merch (stickers & prints). Couldn't be happier. It's the best relationship I've ever had, regardless of how TMNT factors into it, though the fact that it does so seamlessly, & fairly heavily, is definitely icing on the cake.

Nobody I've ever been with has laughed at it or anything. It's just one of those things that makes me who I am, & anyone who loves you (or even just wants to hook up) should take you with all parts included. If in the past I had met a girl I really liked but she was dismissive about the turtles, it wouldn't have lasted. But see, unlike a lot of people here, I have self awareness, so I know how to tow the line. As much as I obsess on any given thing, I never force it down other people's throats. One friend of mine quite literally ruined our relationship by ramming Star Wars up my ass all the time, despite the many, many instances I brought it up as being a serious issue.

Coola Yagami
10-17-2022, 10:30 AM
Interesting. While it's not exactly a dating requirement, everyone I dated (or married) at least have fond memories of the 80s tmnt show. The last one was with me when the 2012 was new so we were equally invested in the new episodes until job schedules made us miss them.

Leo656
10-17-2022, 12:07 PM
This might be the saddest thread I've ever seen, other than the one with the guy whining about how he couldn't get dates because he put LARP front-and-center on his dating profile like an absolute genius would.

I don't think being a TMNT fan "should" limit the type of trim you pull in, but realistically, it absolutely will. I promise you that Britney Spears cannot name more than two Ninja Turtles and neither can any girl who looks like her. If that's the kind of girl you want, best to keep the comics and toys in the "man cave". Them's the breaks. If you really don't care, then by all means, drop the "nerd sh*t" on the table upfront and let the chips fall. But most people do care about having a hot partner, even if they say they don't.

I mean, ideally it shouldn't matter, but nobody male or female ever got anyone into bed in the history of this planet by bragging about their massive comic book collection or their shelves full of mint-in-package action figures. The odds of making any sane adult run AWAY from you rather than TO you with that sh*t are exponentially weighted towards the former, no matter what age we live in. I don't care how much money "Endgame" made, chicks still don't get moist when you talk to 'em about Iron Man. Simply does not happen.

Andrew NDB
10-17-2022, 12:22 PM
I remember a couple "when I was still dating"s ago, I brought this one lady home -- which is not a thing I generally did, at least as quickly -- and it still sticks with me. Everything was great up until the moment she walks into my bedroom, conversation amazing, totally vibing... then she's like looking around at all of the DC and Highlander action figures on my shelves, just floored, aghast. She told me, "Oh wow. I've never met one of you people." And everything was just straight downhill from there. Total disaster, because of that one thing.

Coola Yagami
10-17-2022, 12:26 PM
I remember a couple "when I was still dating"s ago, I brought this one lady home -- which is not a thing I generally did, at least as quickly -- and it still sticks with me. Everything was great up until the moment she walks into my bedroom, conversation amazing, totally vibing... then she's like looking around at all of the DC and Highlander action figures on my shelves, just floored, aghast. She told me, "Oh wow. I've never met one of you people." And everything was just straight downhill from there. Total disaster, because of that one thing.

I'd be like 'what do you mean YOU people?'

Leo656
10-17-2022, 12:32 PM
She definitely meant "Man who spends his disposable income on Toys and not Cocaine." And/or "sports memorabilia". If you're a guy you can only spend money on booze, blow, Car Stuff or Sports Stuff if you want Hot Girl Pussy. That's the rule.

That's what I don't get, though. A hot chick won't blink at a guy who spends thousands of dollars on dumb sh*t like an autographed jersey or a game ball, she'll still jump in bed with that guy even though that's some Certified Loser Sh*t right there all by itself, let's just be real... but a $150 statue of a comic book character makes you a REAL f*cking loser and they'd rather f*ck a leper whose dick is literally half hanging off. "At least he doesn't know Green Lantern's secret identity! lol dorks."

But I mean, whether I like it or not that is indeed how the game is played.

Prowler
10-17-2022, 01:32 PM
Well, that mentality is getting less common nowadays, fortunately. And it was mostly only common among middle aged and older people and among teenagers.

I couldn't care less about Marvel and its movies, but it does seem like they have played a part in making being a "geek" more socially acceptable in the last decade or so. So I guess that's one positive thing about this whole over saturation of Marvel movies within the last decade.

It's bizarre how judgemental people can be about other people's preferences in TV shows, movies, games, etc. anyway. There's a lot of stuff I neither like or care about but as long as you don't force me to sit through it, you do you.

Anyway, I think what society has realised is that you can be a functional adult and be open about liking "geek stuff". You don't have to necessarily be a "loser" to like that stuff.

Sometimes I do wonder if I wild have had better teenage years if I had been born at the beginning of the century is trad of 1990. But I'm sure kids are still assholes and will bully or exclude others for ridiculous things like the ones from previous generations did.

As for the whole recent thing of "hot girls liking nerds", I'm gonna guess they mean a popular, handsome and athletic guy who happens to like Star Wars and the Avengers movies. Not a fat guy who collects Anime girls figurines and body pillows.

Leo656
10-17-2022, 02:04 PM
As for the whole recent thing of "hot girls liking nerds", I'm gonna guess they mean a popular, handsome and athletic guy who happens to like Star Wars and the Avengers movies. Not a fat guy who collects Anime girls figurines and body pillows.

Correct. The gentleman you've described still is never going to have consensual sex without money being exchanged, that's just the facts of life.

It's true hot chicks are a bit more open to "nerds", now... within reason. They'll sit through some MCU flicks, they might tolerate a Lego playset in the basement they never have to actually see... but you still better have that six-pack on point and drive a really nice car.

Some stuff simply isn't gonna change to any appreciable degree. It is what it is. I'm just lucky I'm "reasonably handsome" or I wouldn't have gone too far, either. And would I have been able to bang WAY hotter chicks if I never said a single f*cking word out loud about wrestling or comic books? 1000%.

I mean, it's all a matter of priority and what you want out of life.

20-Year Old Me wanted "true companionship", and to be with someone who loved The Real Me, who I could grow old with and share things in common and always be myself around no matter what.

40-Year Old Me went on that ride and now sincerely wishes that instead he'd just f*cked a lot more Hot Chicks and buried all the Nerd Sh*t forever upon getting out of high school.

I think 80-Year Old Me will still agree more with 40-Year Old Me than 20-Year Old Me. Time will tell, but I think it's a pretty safe bet. Not one person ever died thinking, "It's totally fine I didn't get more Porn Star Level-trim because I just really liked cartoons."

Prowler
10-17-2022, 02:14 PM
Correct. The gentleman you've described still is never going to have consensual sex without money being exchanged, that's just the facts of life.

It's true hot chicks are a bit more open to "nerds", now... within reason. They'll sit through some MCU flicks, they might tolerate a Lego playset in the basement they never have to actually see... but you still better have that six-pack on point and drive a really nice car.

Some stuff simply isn't gonna change to any appreciable degree. It is what it is. I'm just lucky I'm "reasonably handsome" or I wouldn't have gone too far, either. And would I have been able to bang WAY hotter chicks if I never said a single f*cking word out loud about wrestling or comic books? 1000%.

I mean, it's all a matter of priority and what you want out of life.

20-Year Old Me wanted "true companionship", and to be with someone who loved The Real Me, who I could grow old with and share things in common and always be myself around no matter what.

40-Year Old Me went on that ride and now sincerely wishes that instead he'd just f*cked a lot more Hot Chicks and buried all the Nerd Sh*t forever upon getting out of high school.

I think 80-Year Old Me will still agree more with 40-Year Old Me than 20-Year Old Me. Time will tell, but I think it's a pretty safe bet. Not one person ever died thinking, "It's totally fine I didn't get more Porn Star Level-trim because I just really liked cartoons."
Don't get me wrong, makes perfect sense for a fat guy who collects anime body pillows to not be a sex symbol. I'm just saying that the concept of "nerd/geek" is wider nowadays and it's no longer such a demeaning label anymore.

Anyway both men and women are shallow. I am focusing in hot chicks here because of the whole supply and demand thing in dating. A good looking man still needs to open his mouth and do some work to get laid. A good looking woman? She will get hit in by dozens of different guys or more throughout her life, and some of them will be handsome. Ugly or needy ones either won't have the balls to approach her or won't be her type. So she has the luxury to feel selective and pick the best mate out of the lot, which makes perfect sense.

I know you're not criticising me and there's no need for me to justify myself to you but I'm just clarifying my point just in case someone takes offence to what I said and a causes me of being a sexist incel or something. I know plastron is long gone but there's other types like her lurking around :lol:

Anyway, women in general might be less focused on looks than men are. I've seen a lot of attractive women with plain looking and even somewhat ugly guys. But those guys usually are very sociable and self-confident, meaning they have magnetic personalities to attract people to them. They're usually the type that's the loudest person in a room.

Nothing wrong with saying that people must have standards. I don't go around looking up pictures of fat women myself either. So ofc girls and women also have the right to be selective when it comes to dudes. Especially the hot ones who have A LOT of options at hand. If I had a ton of women hitting on me I'd mostly go for hotter ones as well. Makes perfect sense to pick the best possible option among your choices.

Leo656
10-17-2022, 03:02 PM
Anyway, women in general might be less focused on looks than men are. I've seen a lot of attractive women with plain looking and even somewhat ugly guys.

Anecdotal, but I don't think I buy that.

For one thing, I know guys profess to be All About Looks, but having been a Blue Collar Working Man for an extended period in my 20s, I got to see Guy Bullsh*t up close. We'd be out all day, "grading" the chicks we'd see out on the street (as one does), and the ones who seemed to have the highest standards would ALWAYS have a 300-lb wife with a mustache at home. Like they'd be pretending they wouldn't bang some chick on the street because "Damn dawg, she got a body but that FACE, though..." And then the woman they actually go home to and sleep with looks like Melissa McCarthy with a crewcut. So I can attest with confidence that no matter what they say out loud, Most Guys Will Put Their Dick In Anyone Who'll Sit Still.

As for the women... they're usually getting something out of that deal, if they're way out of the guy's league and way too hot for him. Again, being a mover for a decade, you see a lotta sh*t. TONS of "...How'd a bum like THAT guy end up witha f*cking goddess like HER?!" And there's usually reasons, almost always shady. Like, we once moved a f*cking million-dollar house for this lawyer chick, absolute GODDESS brunette, stockings-and-miniskirt, the whole deal, driving us f*cking bonkers all day long... and her husband was walking around with ripped, paint-splattered jeans and a wifebeater, gut hanging over his pants, scraggly looking guy. Looked like he could've been an extra from Road House. Dude, legit, the guy had WCW Nitro Cologne in his bathroom and it looked like he only used it for "special occasions" because that sh*t came out in 1999 and this dude had 2/3s a bottle left in goddamn 2005! So put simply, this was quite clearly a case of a Certified Goddess being married to a Certified Bum. WHO the F*CK bought WCW Nitro Cologne, for f*ck's sake, and worse, who f*cks the guy who wears that sh*t?! :lol:

But then we were moving her office and found some of her cocaine paraphernalia, so now we see some Maybes. Maybe Bum Husband gets Hot Wife her cocaine because being a scummy guy he has connections, and that's why she stays. Maybe Hot Wife likes to go out and party with other, much richer, much better-looking guys, and keeps Bum Husband around because he's just that oblivious (this was the prevailing theory among myself and the workers).

I tell you what WASN'T going on, though... this legit f*cking millionaire lawyer who could've worked as a magazine model in her spare time was NOT in a sincere and loving relationship with a guy who wears f*cking WCW Nitro Cologne and only cracks the bottle open on Christmas. That much I can 100% PROMISE.

So yeah, you'll see a hot chick with a bum, once in a while, but there's always an asterisk. She's not actually into the guy, there's Other Sh*t going on, always.

Prowler
10-17-2022, 03:15 PM
LMAO @ there being a WCW Nitro Cologne :lol:

I had this Mickey Mouse cologne I wore... when I was like 10. No way I'd wear Mickey Mouse cologne as a grown man :lol:

Now it makes me wonder what April sees in Casey. Like OK, Mirage April isn't hot, but what about movies April? And 2k3 April, while not hot, is also not ugly either. If TMNT was R Rated then maybe there'd be a similar reason for their relationship lol

Leo656
10-17-2022, 03:34 PM
She's totally gonna fix him!

Leo656
10-17-2022, 03:41 PM
LMAO @ there being a WCW Nitro Cologne :lol:

Honestly, not too bad a scent but if I ever bought that sh*t I'd stick it in a different, much classier bottle just so every single person who ever took a look in my medicine cabinet didn't think I was a huge f*cking loser. :lol:

Like dude if Aqua Velva is too "high end" for you then maybe just don't dabble in cologne at all. Nobody should ever wear a scent they ordered out of a catalog, from an ad that was sandwiched in between promos for Buff Bagwell shirts and neck chains that said "nWo Wolfpac" on 'em.

"Yo dawg, you smell delicious! Where'd you get that sh*t?"
"Man, ain't no thang... I was checkin' out the new DDP hoodie in a magazine an' I was like YO, man, I gotta get FRESH, ya feel me?"

Like I think you could legit tell someone "I bought my cologne at the dollar store" and they'd have more respect for you than if you bought it out of the Official WCW Merchandise Catalog. For f*ck's f*cking sake.

Prowler
10-17-2022, 03:42 PM
She's totally gonna fix him!

Well they do say women don't like perfect men. Maybe they just want to fix them.

Back to your standards point, perhaps those guys you know who had very fat and ugly wives simply had to settle for them because they couldn't get better looking women? I definitely understand the idea of guys wanting to screw everything that moves, but usually guys draw the line at fat chicks, unless they're fat themselves as well.

Leo656
10-17-2022, 03:53 PM
If they're white guys, they very clearly and loudly will in fact draw the line at fat chicks.

If they're black or Hispanic guys, though, they're all over it, even if they pretend otherwise out loud.

You should see the creepy FB messages my wife gets from them. Hardly ever white guys, and none back when she was skinny. No messages at all. Puts on a bunch of weight, suddenly all these gangstas are sending her PMs all "I love your cuuuurves gurl!" for the next 15 f*cking years.

Might not make sense to You or I, but it's a legit thing. I see it plenty elsewhere, too, that's just the example that hits closest to home.

As a white guy who always SWORE they would never f*ck a fat chick... don't ever get married, is the safest way to keep THAT promise. Once they get you nailed down, chicks will make a liar outta you SO f*cking fast it's not even funny, and then you can't even leave 'em or YOU'RE the asshole in the situation.

"Nobody told me 'for worse' meant 'you getting f*cking FAT', lady!" but that sh*t tends not to hold up.

Prowler
10-17-2022, 03:56 PM
Well, there is a stereotype about black men liking curvy women with big asses.

If you think fat people have it bad in Western nations then imagine in Asia. Rarely does one see a really fat Japanese or Korean person except for sumo wrestlers.

The only guys I see with fat women are, well, fat men. Or men who married their wives when they were still thin/normal but then got a bit fat with age and after having a couple of kids never managed to lose weight again. And usually the husband has a beer belly by then as well.