PDA

View Full Version : Did you like Carter?

FredWolfLeonardo
05-14-2017, 03:33 AM
Title says all.

To me, he kinda felt like what a regular (and normal) Casey Jones would've been like in the Original series. Rebellious and naive, but good hearted and a skilled ally to the turtles.

He isn't my favourite character of all time, but I still enjoyed him for what he is, just like all the other elements of the Red Sky seasons of the Classic Toon which I'm a huge fan of.

Carter's biggest strength in my opinion is that he's simple, no complicated and tragic backstory, just someone who wants to be good at Ninjitsu and has a good heart, so he has an easier time fitting in with the turtles from the get go rather than turning the show into Teenage Mutant Ninja Carter. Like that guy in College who you don't know much about and isn't popular, but is generally cool and he will have your back if you need it. I also think having another regular human ally other than April was nice during the Red Sky seasons when pretty much the rest of humanity hated the turtles.

However, his biggest strength I think could also be his greatest weakness since he doesn't leave much of a lasting impression like other major character due to how simple and normal he is. I guess his mutation was supposed to make him more memorable and stand out, but even with that factored I'll admit I found other characters like FW's own version of Casey and Leatherhead far more memorable despite them appearing ALOT less.

What are your thoughts?

Powder
05-14-2017, 03:56 AM
Relative indifference was my stance. Didn't love or hate him, just accepted him. Would've preferred him being Keno, rather than a character likely inspired by him, but whatever.

FredWolfLeonardo
05-14-2017, 04:04 AM
Relative indifference was my stance. Didn't love or hate him, just accepted him. Would've preferred him being Keno, rather than a character likely inspired by him, but whatever.

Strange that Carter bore a resemblance to Keno, since it seems like "Secret of the Ooze" would be the last place that the Red Sky seasons would draw inspiration from.

Candy Kappa
05-14-2017, 04:20 AM
I found him boring, and was just wasted ink for the animators.

neatoman
05-14-2017, 04:55 AM
"Engineering and martial arts prodigy, motorcycle riding college kid, hulk-like mutant with dreads that turn into a mohawk".

All that and no defined personality, no wonder he wasn't received well.

ssjup81
05-14-2017, 05:58 AM
I neither liked nor disliked him. He was just there for me. Hated his mutation, though.:lol:

DestronMirage22
05-14-2017, 08:15 AM
He was alright. Nothing to make me like or hate him. He was just another addition to try to get kids back into watching the show.

Wesley
05-14-2017, 11:07 AM
I agree with most of what FredWolfLeonardo said. I found Carter to be a bit annoying and bland, but I still liked him, despite his flaws. He at least got some backstory in the episode "The Showdown" (his rivalry with Jet).

Vegita-San
05-14-2017, 11:19 AM
No.

i wound up liking dregg more than carter.

Carter was too confused. didn't know what he wanted to do and always was angry at stuff.

it worked so much better when he was gone at the end.

totally useless character.

Yabuturtle
05-14-2017, 12:02 PM
During the red sky seasons they say season 9 was the worst, which I never thought it was. I thought it'd be season 4 or 5 due to how unbelievably silly it was. Yeah they did have the silly 2nd stage mutations, which I thought was unnecessary but they weren't in all of the season 9 episodes. I feel like Carter should have been the only one to mutate, as that would have set him apart from the others.

I don't really understand why people disliked Carter. He wasn't as entertaining as Casey Jones, but he had some interesting moments. Started off kind of rocky, since he wasn't much of a team player and he started to mature a little more. He started to work with the team then had difficulty with his mutant form and doubted himself, and then started to wonder if he should he keep his mutated form or go back to a normal life. It took him a while to make up his mind, but he's a frigign college kid, of course he's going to be mixed up about some things. Wouldn't you if you had mutant powers and you wanted a normal life, but you wanted to keep them in case a threat came around? He was never really annoying or anything so I don't know why people bashed him or Dregg for that matter. He had more personality than Casey, or at least this version of Casey, even if Casey was funny and entertaining.

But the "purists" just bash anything that's different, even if it's good. Dregg was one of the most interesting villains. Season 9 was pretty good and would have been really good if it wasn't for the 2nd stage mutations, which really should have been reduced to just one episode. "Carter sucks, because he's new" or "Dregg sucks because he's new and he was the final villain whaaa"

I can't stand those that can't handle any change. The Red Sky seasons were pretty good, much better than they give it credit for. Season 9 was the first time the Turtles were pretty much rejected from all of society instead of just have mixed opinions of them and Dregg was the only villain that pretended to be good and people bought it until April exposed him. It was interesting to have a villain that had the entire city on his side. In fact, a lot of the red sky villains were interesting and had decent backgrounds, i.e. Beserko Kronos, Megavolt ect. but never showed up for more than one episode, other than Titanus.

Carter was not really a bad addition. He didn't have an obnoxious personality, annoying catch phrases or anything so I don't what their problem is with him.

sdp
05-14-2017, 12:24 PM
The first season he appears he's horribly written and boring, all that I had read about him was true.

His second season he is a much better character and how he should've always been written.

Never saw the Keno connection.

This is how I saw the Dregg seasons though, the first season is really mediocre while the second one they fix things by having competent writing.

Strange that Carter bore a resemblance to Keno, since it seems like "Secret of the Ooze" would be the last place that the Red Sky seasons would draw inspiration from.
Didn't the red sky episodes feature Tokka and Razzar?

Wesley
05-14-2017, 12:31 PM
I thought Carter was alright, but I can see why some people didn't like him. He was introduced abruptly in season 9 along with other changes and it was odd that he knew about Hamato Yoshi.

IndigoErth
05-14-2017, 12:49 PM
Currently watching the eps he's in, so from a refreshed perspective... Ehhh... Likewise, indifference. Don't hate him, but wouldn't care if he was went away. His mutation kind of annoys me though.

CyberCubed
05-14-2017, 01:05 PM
"Engineering and martial arts prodigy, motorcycle riding college kid, hulk-like mutant with dreads that turn into a mohawk".

All that and no defined personality, no wonder he wasn't received well.

His personality was to be "cool and hip" like Poochy from The Simpsons. "Whenever a show adds a new main character it's to make up for low ratings."

Carter was the "too cool for school" X-men type black College student who rode a motorcycle.

neatoman
05-14-2017, 01:19 PM
You know, if he was made today and had the same lackluster reception, you could bet your ass someone on tumblr would blindly say the problem was racism and that Carter was important for "representation". :lol:

CyberCubed
05-14-2017, 05:40 PM
You know, if he was made today and had the same lackluster reception, you could bet your ass someone on tumblr would blindly say the problem was racism and that Carter was important for "representation". :lol:

Yep, there was barely an internet back in 1995-1996 when he was on the show.

ABrown
05-14-2017, 06:55 PM
Pretty much as others have said, I'm kind of "meh" when it comes to Carter. I could take him or leave him. As with many of the "red sky" era characters, he should've gotten a toy.

Rooish
05-14-2017, 10:30 PM
I kind of thought his portrayal was nice and not racist?

That said I was completely indifferent to him as a child.

Coola Yagami
05-14-2017, 10:39 PM

Don't forget about the plants. There would have been FW plants praising Carter to the high heavens and being absolutely nasty to anyone saying otherwise.

I felt he was just there. He was just one of those things to accept in the 'new show' along with the slightly different designs, the red sky and mutations. Hated Carter's mutation, but then again I hated everyone else's. It should have been a one episode thing. And why didn't it affect Splinter, Bebop and Rocksteady? Hell, that would have been an excuse to bring back S+K sooner, to look for a cure for B+R's mutations.

The thing that bothered me the most was the jarring art shift with them. They looked so odd and out of place, and they literally looked like the regular TMNT artist stepped back and let another guy draw the mutations.

And yes it was weird that Carter (and that other guy from that one episode) somehow knew of Hamato Yoshi and that he was in New York. I mean, after all those years and noone ever having seen him (this was the 8th or so season already), I assume everyone back in Osaka assumed he died. In fact, it was pretty late in the game to bring in someone looking for Yoshi. Carter should have been some martial arts dude that just happened to be in an area where the Turtles fought Dregg's minions, and he followed them to prefect his skills until he becomes one of the gang.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
05-15-2017, 09:16 AM
During the red sky seasons they say season 9 was the worst, which I never thought it was.

It's in general considered the worst among the three last seasons, yes. Not the worst of the entire series.

Yabuturtle
05-15-2017, 06:05 PM
It's in general considered the worst among the three last seasons, yes. Not the worst of the entire series.

They say that but I think most say it because it was the most different, and as we know, very few people can handle any sort of change whatsoever. It was the only time Dimension X was never mentioned, or Shredder and Krang, the art style changed, the new villain came out, Other characters from before like Vernon, Irma and Burne never showed up again or Casey Jones. There were a lot of changes but I didn't mind most of them. I think they were better than the really silly stuff we saw in season 4 and 5.

05-16-2017, 08:48 AM
mentioned, or Shredder and Krang, the art style changed, the new villain came out, Other characters from before like Vernon, Irma and Burne never showed up again or Casey Jones.

Were any of those characters even mentioned?

cammy85
05-16-2017, 10:11 AM
No they weren't. This takes place two years or so after Turtle Trek. April was a freelance reporter. That one stock reporter from Channel Six did make onscreen and VO appearances in Seasons 9 and 10 however.

05-16-2017, 04:19 PM
No they weren't. This takes place two years or so after Turtle Trek.

It was was the tenth season that took place two years later, not the ninth. So it's easy to assume assume that took place one year after the eight season.

cammy85
05-17-2017, 09:27 AM
I'm not sure I agree. I was looking storywise, not real time. For us, it was a year between seasons; but you never know how much time has passed for the characters.

By the end of the ninth season, the mutations were causing them to turn on each other and it took the full Vortex crystal to demutate them. Taking a year or two to fix that would've been too late. Plus, the Dreggnaught wasn't badly damaged and it was being repaired on Mung's planet.

05-17-2017, 09:50 AM
I'm not sure I agree. I was looking storywise, not real time. For us, it was a year between seasons; but you never know how much time has passed for the characters.

By the end of the ninth season, the mutations were causing them to turn on each other and it took the full Vortex crystal to demutate them. Taking a year or two to fix that would've been too late. Plus, the Dreggnaught wasn't badly damaged and it was being repaired on Mung's planet.

Didn't they mention 1994 and 1996 or maybe "two years ago" in the last time travel episode during season 10?

Wesley
05-17-2017, 10:26 AM
Didn't they mention 1994 and 1996 or maybe "two years ago" in the last time travel episode during season 10?

Landor mentioned that the Turtles from season 8 would meet Carter in 1 year's time in "A Turtle in Time."

05-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Landor mentioned that the Turtles from season 8 would meet Carter in 1 year's time in "A Turtle in Time."

Which is the same time in the series as between the actual years.

IndigoErth
05-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Comments after viewing much of season 10 again:

How many times is this boy going to claim, to paraphrase, "Well I'm gonna leave now and go back to college"?

Why did you leave college to begin with? Why isn't this a plan to return next semester? Which...would prob not be happening tomorrow, and even if it was you missed enrollment. He wanted to train with Splinter and yet, what training do we even see happen? And it surely didn't go on for long. Is he just politely trying to end that friendship? lol

Also, does he have no family that will worry and be devastated when he disappeared and ran off to the future? Sure, Carter, you might be able to show up on their doorstep if they're still alive and living in the same place, but after so many years of heartbreak and then confusing them with you having not aged...that's kinda mean. :tlol:

Yabuturtle
05-17-2017, 12:46 PM
Comments after viewing much of season 10 again:

How many times is this boy going to claim, to paraphrase, "Well I'm gonna leave now and go back to college"?

Why did you leave college to begin with? Why isn't this a plan to return next semester? Which...would prob not be happening tomorrow, and even if it was you missed enrollment. He wanted to train with Splinter and yet, what training do we even see happen? And it surely didn't go on for long. Is he just politely trying to end that friendship? lol

Also, does he have no family that will worry and be devastated when he disappeared and ran off to the future? Sure, Carter, you might be able to show up on their doorstep if they're still alive and living in the same place, but after so many years of heartbreak and then confusing them with you having not aged...that's kinda mean. :tlol:

He was training, or rather, meditating with Splinter about controlling his mutant form. He was pretty busy with helping the Turtles so he did not have much time for college.

He had family, I'm sure, but Carter didn't say he would live in the future. He just went there so he could get cured. He would probably come back after he was cured. Which would have been nice in the final episode.

05-17-2017, 12:49 PM
He was training, or rather, meditating with Splinter about controlling his mutant form. He was pretty busy with helping the Turtles so he did not have much time for college.

He had family, I'm sure, but Carter didn't say he would live in the future. He just went there so he could get cured. He would probably come back after he was cured. Which would have been nice in the final episode.

Or the episode before the final. I like that the final episode was all about the turtles.

IndigoErth
05-17-2017, 02:19 PM
It's interesting that when Carter first shows up the Turtles are asking (something to the effect of) "Who is this kid?"

Are they truly just "Teenage" in name only at that point if they're referring to a college student as a kid as if they take him as being younger than themselves?

I do like that the redesign for the last few seasons does make them look a little older.

FredWolfLeonardo
05-17-2017, 04:48 PM
It's interesting that when Carter first shows up the Turtles are asking (something to the effect of) "Who is this kid?"

Are they truly just "Teenage" in name only at that point if they're referring to a college student as a kid as if they take him as being younger than themselves?

I do like that the redesign for the last few seasons does make them look a little older.

Carter looks 18 at the very minimum to me.

I do wonder how old the 80s turtles are. Even if they're 15 in the first episode like in other versions (although I think they're more likely around 18 ) then they're in their mid 20s by the end judging by the comments of Shredder, Krang, Landor and Merrick which indicate years passing.

CyberCubed
05-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Carter says he's going back to College in an episode, so he's probably around 19-20.

05-18-2017, 06:25 AM
Carter looks 18 at the very minimum to me.

I do wonder how old the 80s turtles are. Even if they're 15 in the first episode like in other versions (although I think they're more likely around 18 ) then they're in their mid 20s by the end judging by the comments of Shredder, Krang, Landor and Merrick which indicate years passing.

Once Upon a Time Machine is set in 1991, at least.

FredWolfLeonardo
05-18-2017, 07:34 AM
Once Upon a Time Machine is set in 1991, at least.

Then that means the air dates generally co incide with the timing of the seasons, with the only exceptions being European vacation taking place in 1990 despite airing in 1993 and between seasons 8 and 9 since in the season 10 episodes, Landor and Merrick state that 2 years and 15 days have passed between Turtle Trek and the Unknown Ninja.

Going by this logic and assuming that the turtles are 15 in their first episode (since thats the age in other versions), they would've aged 10 years from their first episode to their last, making them 25 in the final episode.

05-18-2017, 09:21 AM
At least, he could've been kept without mutation.

pferreira
05-18-2017, 10:49 AM
His personality was to be "cool and hip" like Poochy from The Simpsons. "Whenever a show adds a new main character it's to make up for low ratings."

Carter was the "too cool for school" X-men type black College student who rode a motorcycle.Don't you just love network decisions? ;)

You know, if he was made today and had the same lackluster reception, you could bet your ass someone on tumblr would blindly say the problem was racism and that Carter was important for "representation". :lol:For once I actually agree with you. :lol:

Coola Yagami
05-21-2017, 04:54 PM

There was an episode somewhere where Leo tells the rest to stop clowning around because they were 'acting like a couple of teenagers' and Raph reminds him that they ARE teenagers. Stuff like this always makes me say 'oh... right, they are teenagers' because it really is easy to forget that despite the title of the show. They just.... don't really act it.

MsMarvelDuckie
05-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Then that means the air dates generally co incide with the timing of the seasons, with the only exceptions being European vacation taking place in 1990 despite airing in 1993 and between seasons 8 and 9 since in the season 10 episodes, Landor and Merrick state that 2 years and 15 days have passed between Turtle Trek and the Unknown Ninja.

Going by this logic and assuming that the turtles are 15 in their first episode (since thats the age in other versions), they would've aged 10 years from their first episode to their last, making them 25 in the final episode.

Not all of the seasons took a full "year" though. Season 1 lasted all of 3-4 days, and season 2 started almost immediately after that and was only a few months. 3 and 4 were the longest but were maybe two years at most. So if anything they would likely be around 19-20. Michelangelo had at least one birthday as did Raphael (and Irma), but that is all we really know. The Euro eps were probably only a few weeks at best, as well , since the trip was a sponsored/all expense paid "dream vacation" they won. That trip CERTAINLY wouldn't have lasted an entire YEAR!! (Maybe a month, at most.)

shuriken
05-22-2017, 11:07 AM
I liked him alright. But as a kid I was convinced he would mutate into Ace duck because of his outfit, and as a kid I really liked my Ace duck figure and wanted him to be incorporated into the cartoon (not as a background throwaway gag). After he became a mutant mohawk samurai thing i liked him bit less, but whatever.

Danetello
05-22-2017, 06:01 PM
I think my opinion echoes just about everyone here: I didn't care for him either way. He was just there. Although, I didn't like his mutation thing much at all.

05-28-2017, 03:43 AM
I liked him alright. But as a kid I was convinced he would mutate into Ace duck because of his outfit, and as a kid I really liked my Ace duck figure and wanted him to be incorporated into the cartoon (not as a background throwaway gag). After he became a mutant mohawk samurai thing i liked him bit less, but whatever.

But, as you said, Ace Duck had already appeared at that point.

Prowler
06-04-2017, 02:18 AM
I didn't mind him at all. He was a bit annoying at first and I didn't like how shoehorned he was into the group out of nowhere but he turned out to be a good ally for the turtles.

"The Unknown Ninja" was a disappointign episode, nevertheless. That episode title seemed to promise something really good and turns out it's just a guy who happened to read about the foot clan and Hamato Yoshi... makes me wonder how it took so long and late in the series for him to know about him. I mean, the foot clan seemed to be nothing but Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady and plastic robots after Splinter left Japan and Shredder moved to USA where he met Krang. So how did he manage to get his hands on Hamato Yoshi's teachings? Did Splinter write a book about them when he was human and it got translated into English and other languages?

Panda_Kahn_fan
06-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Carter was one of those ideas that could've worked the way it started, but veered waaaay off course. A martial arts student who wants to learn from master Yoshi? Great! explore that, have the turtles take turns giving hi lessons in martial arts, have the audience learn life lessons with him. The point he failed was when he became a mutant chicken- yech!

snake
06-04-2017, 11:49 AM
There's a great picture out there that breaks down the different elements of Carter's mutation, ranging from a chicken to C-3PO.

Panda_Kahn_fan
06-04-2017, 01:50 PM
I've seen it, I think it shows just how hilariously BAD Carter's mutation concept actually was! :lol:

I honestly think Carter was meant to be a stand-in for Keno from the films.

MikeandRaph87
06-04-2017, 03:27 PM
http://www.thatchickensite.com/letters/getcarter/mcequation.jpg

Here you go. I saw this years ago on the website. It just proves the suits at CBS did not know what they wanted and gave little room for David Wise to work with. Should have stuck with season 8's direction. Carter being a successful addition was doomed form the start.

CyberCubed
06-19-2017, 12:42 PM
It seemed to me like Carter was an attempt to bring over the X-men crowd. The X-men: TAS had been airing at the same time as Seasons 9-10 of the original cartoon.

Carter felt like he belonged in X-men more than TMNT, like they were bringing over a "hip" character from another show. The fact that he was also a minority added to this.

06-19-2017, 01:57 PM
It seemed to me like Carter was an attempt to bring over the X-men crowd. The X-men: TAS had been airing at the same time as Seasons 9-10 of the original cartoon.

Carter felt like he belonged in X-men more than TMNT, like they were bringing over a "hip" character from another show. The fact that he was also a minority added to this.

Which of them?

CyberCubed
06-19-2017, 04:27 PM
Also does anyone realize Carter has the same hair style as Static Shock? Considering they're both from the 90's I guess that style was common back then.

DarkFell
06-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Also does anyone realize Carter has the same hair style as Static Shock? Considering they're both from the 90's I guess that style was common back then.
Hmmm.. minor similarities in hairstyle? Yes. The same hair style? No.
https://images.moviepilot.com/images/c_limit,q_auto:good,w_600/od3cdjqyhl3sgzmvmcyd/static-shock-in-young-justice.jpg
https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/c/c4/Unknown2.png/revision/latest?cb=20150107232655
As for how I feel about Carter, I felt that he was 'just there.' Sure he helped the Turtles out on quite a few occasions, but I didn't pick up much on his personality to really understand his character.

The only times that I actually liked Carter was when he took on Lord Dregg.

Prowler
06-19-2017, 07:26 PM
You know what made no sense? On the same season the writers pulling the "Carter is a traitor/Carter is working for Dregg!" card. First you have an episode where Carter pretends to join Dregg, and then you have an episode where Landor and Merrick warn the Turtles that Carter has been working with Dregg all along, which obviously he wasn't and the Carter from the future was a cyborg... but how did they even expect us to fall for that one when it's obvious Dregg didn't know who Carter was before landing on Earth? That and having had an episode already where Carter pretended to help Dregg. :lol:

MsMarvelDuckie
06-19-2017, 09:25 PM
Hmmm.. minor similarities in hairstyle? Yes. The same hair style? No.
https://images.moviepilot.com/images/c_limit,q_auto:good,w_600/od3cdjqyhl3sgzmvmcyd/static-shock-in-young-justice.jpg
https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/c/c4/Unknown2.png/revision/latest?cb=20150107232655
As for how I feel about Carter, I felt that he was 'just there.' Sure he helped the Turtles out on quite a few occasions, but I didn't pick up much on his personality to really understand his character.

The only times that I actually liked Carter was when he took on Lord Dregg.

Actually aside from differences in animation style, it really DOES look like a very similar hair style. Not identical but pretty close.

06-20-2017, 04:04 AM
You know what made no sense? On the same season the writers pulling the "Carter is a traitor/Carter is working for Dregg!" card. First you have an episode where Carter pretends to join Dregg, and then you have an episode where Landor and Merrick warn the Turtles that Carter has been working with Dregg all along, which obviously he wasn't and the Carter from the future was a cyborg... but how did they even expect us to fall for that one when it's obvious Dregg didn't know who Carter was before landing on Earth? That and having had an episode already where Carter pretended to help Dregg. :lol:

They came from an alternate 2015, where Dregg won, travelling back in time to 1995.

neatoman
06-20-2017, 08:38 AM
http://www.thatchickensite.com/letters/getcarter/mcequation.jpg

Here you go. I saw this years ago on the website. It just proves the suits at CBS did not know what they wanted and gave little room for David Wise to work with. Should have stuck with season 8's direction. Carter being a successful addition was doomed form the start.

What is it? It doesn't load for me.

06-20-2017, 12:15 PM
What is it? It doesn't load for me.

Not for me either.

pferreira
06-22-2017, 09:48 AM
You know what made no sense? On the same season the writers pulling the "Carter is a traitor/Carter is working for Dregg!" card. First you have an episode where Carter pretends to join Dregg, and then you have an episode where Landor and Merrick warn the Turtles that Carter has been working with Dregg all along, which obviously he wasn't and the Carter from the future was a cyborg... but how did they even expect us to fall for that one when it's obvious Dregg didn't know who Carter was before landing on Earth? That and having had an episode already where Carter pretended to help Dregg. :lol:It was only one writer per season under network orders. Which season are you referring to?

MikeandRaph87
06-22-2017, 10:04 AM
I bet it is season 9, which it was prevalent in. In season 10 Carter failed to cure his mutation and helped with Shredder and Krang then left with three episodes to go. His personality was still all over the place but he was used plot counter to Leonardo's failure to be cured and then played back up when Dregg drainned the TMNT of their lifeforces.

Lisardo
06-30-2017, 03:29 PM
He was OK at best. His mutation was kind of weird and sporadic, tho helpful at times. He seemed determined to help fight along with the TMNT but at the same time, his personality seemed dull and forgettable.