PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance coming to Netflix

TigerClaw
05-18-2017, 10:15 AM
The Dark Crystal prequel series is coming to Netflix, its titled "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance"
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy/jim-hensons-the-dark-crystal-prequel-series-in-the-works-at-netflix-check-out-a-bts-teaser-a151220

OGzVYyV_Jsg

sdp
05-18-2017, 11:37 AM
I always confuse The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth and forget which one is which... I never liked either movie much but I want to support this for being a new Henson company production.

Imagine if we could get another show like Dinosaurs, I'd love it. It's owned by Disney but they could make something similar.

IndigoErth
05-18-2017, 12:16 PM
Just saw something about it on FB, came to make sure it was posted. :) Not a Netflix subscriber, but I may have to consider when this is out. :D

And agree, Dinosaurs or a show like it really needs to return! I loved that show, esp the older two dino kids; in particular the sister character who was around my age back then.

NinjaPug
05-18-2017, 12:41 PM
I don't understand hiring Louis Leterrier to run this.

Andrew NDB
05-18-2017, 12:43 PM
I don't understand hiring Louis Leterrier to run this.

Probably a passion project for him. There's no way they brought this to his doorstep.

NinjaPug
05-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Probably a passion project for him. There's no way they brought this to his doorstep.

I hope that's the case although it doesn't mean LL will make anything worthwhile. Just seems like a really odd pairing.

Andrew NDB
05-18-2017, 01:15 PM
I hope that's the case although it doesn't mean LL will make anything worthwhile. Just seems like a really odd pairing.

Yeah, gotta be passion project. He probably even had some role in finding financiers for it.

Otherwise, it'd be a pretty weird tagline:

"THE DARK CRYSTAL: AGE OF RESISTANCE... FROM THE HULK MOVIE DIRECTOR THAT ALMOST BURIED THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE BEFORE IT BEGAN."

Allio
05-18-2017, 03:29 PM
Not even posting the remake

RudzOqb-fRc

Utrommaniac
05-18-2017, 04:18 PM
...Well, I'm down for this.

MsMarvelDuckie
05-18-2017, 04:32 PM
Ooh I would SOOOO be all over this if it were like the movie. Dark Crystal is on of my all-time favorite fantasy movies.

Andrew NDB
05-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Ooh I would SOOOO be all over this if it were like the movie.

Uh, it looks like... it is?

MsMarvelDuckie
05-18-2017, 04:46 PM
Was't enough in the teaser to really tell. And most of what was shown was original concept art and an interview with Jim from YEARS ago(before he died). Sooooo.... Maybe? I meant if it was AS GOOD AS, which is currently a question that is up in the air. I'd like to think so but I guess it depends on the budget and writing.

Powder
05-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Whoooooooa, how exciting!

IndigoErth
05-18-2017, 05:36 PM
Here's the full press release: https://www.henson.com/press-releases/2017/press-release-2017-05-18.php

Definitely sounds like they're aiming to be like the movie:
The 10-episode fantasy adventure series is a prequel to the groundbreaking 1982 fan favorite The Dark Crystal, and takes place many years before the events of the film. The series will be shot in the U.K., and will star an ensemble of fantastical, state-of-the-art creatures created by Jim Henson’s Creature Shop™ and Brian Froud, the original feature’s conceptual designer.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance returns to the world of Thra with an all new adventure. When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world.

“The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will combine the art of puppetry perfected by The Jim Henson Company, with Louis’ vision, powerful storytelling and a mix of cutting-edge digital imagery and visual effects,”

TheBlueTurtle1
05-19-2017, 12:50 AM
Awesome news, hopefully NO CGI:P

Andrew NDB
05-19-2017, 12:54 AM
Awesome news, hopefully NO CGI:P

Hopefully a little bit for things like lip movements and blinking. If it can genuinely help, why not use it?

TigerClaw
05-19-2017, 07:34 AM
Hopefully a little bit for things like lip movements and blinking. If it can genuinely help, why not use it?
The CGI will probably be for backgrounds and things they can't do practically.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-20-2017, 03:09 AM

CGI sucks lol, that's why.

Candy Kappa
05-20-2017, 03:23 AM
No it doesn't lol

Allio
05-20-2017, 09:57 AM
keep it all practical. that's the appeal to these types of things.

IndigoErth
05-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Agree it certainly does not suck.

But (IMHO) there are places/times when it should be used sparingly and in ways where it is an asset; this is one of them. Nothing wrong with using it to accomplish part of a vision that practical effects just can't reach (and might have had to have been entirely excluded years ago), but don't let it dominate it.

Don't know if I agree on using it for the puppets... Maybe only if it aids in a degree of smooth/naturalness they could aim for. Though I'd be curious to see what the Henson studio is capable of pulling off for it in this century. To some extent though puppets are, I assume, still supposed to feel like puppets... else you erase the reason to even use them as an art form.

sdp
05-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Mix of CG and practical is what everyone needs to do, you get the best of both worlds.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-21-2017, 01:54 PM
I think CGI does work, when absolutely necessary, but in a movie and TV series that is supposed to be about the art of stop motion, or in this case puppetry, it's best to avoid it.

CGI is fine in stuff like Pirates of the Caribbean, and Planet of the Apes, but given a choice, I would always opt for traditional effects.