PDA

View Full Version : TMNTU #10 preview & discussion

AlZarkovski
05-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Preview here (http://www.multiversitycomics.com/previews/tmnt-universe-10/).

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-22-2017, 02:22 PM
That one goth girl reminded me of when Shadow went to a werewolf concert in Tales... :tlol:

DestronMirage22
05-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Man, the artwork continues to be spectacular. The whole thing reminds me of something Hedonism-Bot would be really into. Freaky drinking, loving, and vomiting all around!! :tlol:

ChosenOne
05-22-2017, 02:39 PM
What another great issue this looks to be!

The self-reflection bit, especially with Angel recalling the accident, cuts pretty deep.

I got a sliiight vibe of "Salo or 120 Days of Sodom" from some of the entranced folks at the start, and when the frogs start kissing. Intentional or not, that's damn freaky! :D But I can see Toad Baron being down with everything that transpires in said movie, for some reason...

CyberCubed
05-22-2017, 03:13 PM
The two frogs kissing cracked me up.

neatoman
05-22-2017, 03:14 PM
Holy crap! Drunk Driver?! And he just kept driving!? That's one hell of a bombshell I didn't expect from a preview! Treasure hunting brother in one continuity, dead mom in another...

I initially thought I would just post this video...
OqWSzv7ESJY

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-22-2017, 03:16 PM
THEY TURNED THE FRIGGIN' FROGS GAY!!!!

Although, we have no idea of the gender of those frogs.

Also, did Alex Jones' wife divorce him yet?

neatoman
05-22-2017, 03:21 PM
THEY TURNED THE FRIGGIN' FROGS GAY!!!!

Although, we have no idea of the gender of those frogs.

Also, did Alex Jones' wife divorce him yet?

I don't know, all I know about that man is the stuff people make fun of him for. The meme material.

Technogeek29
05-22-2017, 03:34 PM
...Well a drunk driver who kept going...Did I pop into IMAGE for a second *looks a cover

MikeandRaph87
05-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Is it just me or did Angel and Alopex come into contact with Joker Venom? See page four last panel.

old_hob88
05-22-2017, 08:02 PM
Oh man! The background for the credits of the back-up makes it look like its gonna be a story about Pepperoni!

I couldn't be more amped!!

Utrommaniac
05-22-2017, 08:25 PM
Finally. A short to look forward to.

Why do those drunk drivers always have giant semis in "my mom was killed by a drunk driver" stories.

Those kissing frogs are the best though. Is that the first time we've had a gay-ish kiss in the IDW series? Or TMNT as a whole?

myconius
05-24-2017, 12:08 PM
i really enjoyed this 2 parter a WHOLE lot!! :D

never imaged how Angel and Alopex would have managed to get out of this one!

where last issue lest off, i really felt like they would have ended up being trapped and out of the picture for a short while.
but them picking a fight and becoming unruly guests was brilliant!

between the Humor and amazing art these past 2 issues have been my favorite stories out of Tmnt: Universe along with issue #6. :tgrin:

the Pepperoni back-up was pretty adorable!

neatoman
05-24-2017, 05:31 PM
Alright, so the non-animal motifs for the Pantheon members I can see so far are strategies:

Rat King, Suggestion
Kitsune, Deceit
Chi-You, Force
Aka, Trust
Toad Baron, Bribery

Agree? Disagree?

About Pepperoni.
Can she only see red and greyscales? Why would she dream of all red masks if she's only seen them in the multi-colored ones?

myconius
05-24-2017, 06:01 PM
The self-reflection bit, especially with Angel recalling the accident, cuts pretty deep.

yeah, seeing Angel as a WEE youngling watching the truck that killed her mother speed away really tugged at my heart-strings! :tcry:

Alright, so the non-animal motifs for the Pantheon members I can see so far are strategies:

Rat King, Suggestion
Kitsune, Deceit
Chi-You, Force
Aka, Trust
Toad Baron, Bribery

Agree? Disagree?

you might have something there?

About Pepperoni.
Can she only see red and greyscales? Why would she dream of all red masks if she's only seen them in the multi-colored ones?

cuz it looked WICKED cool! :D

ChosenOne
05-24-2017, 06:08 PM
Two words on why this issue was an absolute blast: anthropomorphic artichokes. That is all. Good night! :D

Seriously though, all the background characters were awesome, Angel teaching the partygoers to fight, Toad Baron's meltdown (I guess deeeeeep down he's a nice if twisted guy), and the twist with the gauntlet tracker at the end... What a ride!

Too bad we have to wait extra long for the next developments in this plot. :(

(Is it silly that I kinda wanted to sample some of the stuff at the party? All the Baron would have to do is wave a copy of Red Dead 2 at me and I'd stay! :lol:)

myconius
05-24-2017, 06:19 PM
Two words on why this issue was an absolute blast: anthropomorphic artichokes. That is all. Good night! :D

Seriously though, all the background characters were awesome, Angel teaching the partygoers to fight, Toad Baron's meltdown (I guess deeeeeep down he's a nice if twisted guy), and the twist with the gauntlet tracker at the end... What a ride!

Too bad we have to wait extra long for the next developments in this plot. :(

(Is it silly that I kinda wanted to sample some of the stuff at the party? All the Baron would have to do is wave a copy of Red Dead 2 at me and I'd stay! :lol:)

this 2 parter had such an enchanting fairytale-like atmosphere.
i really enjoyed all the partygoers trapped from different eras.
in the first part it almost felt like if Angel and Alopex had eaten any of the food, they'd have been stuck there like Hades tricking Persephone into eating the pomegranate seed.

Utrommaniac
05-24-2017, 08:03 PM
I didn't even realize those artichoke things had arms, honestly.

This gave me a pretty good laugh
https://68.media.tumblr.com/eeda996c0aa61f2f485a6b946766fb22/tumblr_inline_oqhhaxX1sY1rw8miz_540.png
(So does this mean Tony Bennett is assumed to be dead in this universe???)

https://68.media.tumblr.com/72bda67a75bb593450ebb3adece118d2/tumblr_inline_oqhhf86U6C1rw8miz_540.png

ChosenOne
05-24-2017, 10:47 PM
It just occurred to me that Pepperoni's back-up is essentially a reverse Calvin & Hobbes: the mascot/pet dreaming about an alternate, cooler lifestyle.

So sweet! :)

Other than the possibility of monochromatic vision, or just artistic choice in rendering the dream, her perspective of the Turtles may be simply because Raph with his red bandana is the first she met, her "owner", and therefore the one she idolizes the most and stands in for the other three in her mind.

Technogeek29
05-25-2017, 12:00 AM
Picking it up tomorrow (hopefully) so no opinion from me yet.

DestronMirage22
05-25-2017, 12:16 AM
Good issue. Nice setup for the upcoming arc in the main title.
That Pepperoni back-up was really the shining part of it all. It was cute and epic at the same time. Anybody have a high quality scan of the Mirage inspired pin-up? That thing is AMAZING!!! Campbell's always been a fantastic artist, and this piece just reinforces that. It's one of my favorite pieces from her. I NEED it made into a poster so I can hang it in my room, it's so good!!! :D

Utrommaniac
05-25-2017, 02:06 AM
I for one like the mutation page.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/747e9a9fc57656596540b0a8d0c2721f/tumblr_inline_oqhhctDfWg1rw8miz_540.png
The background pose almost looks like it could transform into a meme.

Also, I realized how it's kind of funny that Toad Baron is the one that seems to have fully submerged himself with humans that actually like him.

DarkFell
05-25-2017, 02:36 AM
I can hang with the RI cover version since neither Angel nor Alopex know what to do in their current situation. :D

*notices the Retailer incentive cover by Sophie Campbell statement below the cover art.*
~ Thanks Sophie.

Also, I need to get around to visiting my comic book store, because I am SO FAR BEHIND in the stories.

myconius
05-25-2017, 05:28 AM
i really enjoyed Angel and Alopex's chemistry in this story. (both issues)

their banter between one another was gold! :D

and the expression conveyed in the art really made it all the more emotionally powerful.

i really hope to see Pablo Tunica doing more art for Tmnt.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-25-2017, 09:23 AM
I actually feel bad for Toad Baron. The big frog man was cool. I'd stay at his party. :tlol: I mean, where else am I gonna get roast hippogriff? :twink:

Utrommaniac
05-25-2017, 09:31 AM
And play video games with Tony Bennett!

He's certainly my favorite out of the Pantheon by far. There's a lot of dust to be cleared in the motivations, but he at least enjoys getting people to have a good time - doesn't seem to have any deadly malice behind it. No one's even getting hurt, unless maybe they're masochists.
Basically just "have a good time and live forever, as long as you never leave."
And if someone does want to get out, they're not punished by getting eaten by some kind of Dungeon Monster ala Jabba the Hutt...just with being told "no" and sent away to get lost in the party.

neatoman
05-25-2017, 11:05 AM
So could the euphoric state of the guests at a party hosted by a toad a reference to...?
https://i.giphy.com/yFoNHwltDMG7m.webp

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-25-2017, 11:08 AM
So could the euphoric state of the guests at a party hosted by a toad a reference to...?
https://i.giphy.com/yFoNHwltDMG7m.webp

Well, I didn't see anyone licking him if that's what you meant. :tlol:

Technogeek29
05-25-2017, 02:49 PM
Got it, it was pretty good. Still hearing Frollo when TB talks and the part when he lost his temper just cements it. The party will be minus a member obviously

myconius
05-25-2017, 04:06 PM
Well, I didn't see anyone licking him if that's what you meant. :tlol:

well it's a good thing Angel decided to leave as soon as she saw frogs kissing.

can you imagine? :o

CyberCubed
05-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Toad Baron is a nice change of pace from the scheming or sneaking nature of Kitsune and Rat King. The art where he was screaming and surprised while Angel/Alopex were fighting was very nice.

neatoman
05-25-2017, 05:29 PM
well it's a good thing Angel decided to leave as soon as she saw frogs kissing.

can you imagine? :o

Yeah I wouldn't stay for frog sex either...

Powder
05-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Really fantastic story & art.

ToTheNines
05-26-2017, 05:15 AM
Pretty fun story. Tunica is an amazing artist, it almost felt like these last two issues were actually animated. Stellar layout work.

I thought his character's faces were a little too cartoony, but really just Angel and Alopex. That exaggeration lent itself well to Toad Barron though. I'll be interested in seeing Watcher and others give their take on him. Santolouco has a knack for really great crazy facial expressions, so that's the one I'm most excited for.

Anyways, the dude's a beast and I'm glad he's doing a Dimension X issue. His turtles look very cool.

Fantastic little slice of life backup. I hope we get more in the same vein as that.

myconius
05-26-2017, 08:08 AM
Tunica is an amazing artist, it almost felt like these last two issues were actually animated. Stellar layout work.

those are definitely some of his best qualities! :D

his figures are so animated it's easy to imagine them in motion.

and his eye for composition of where to place the 'imaginary camera' is just brilliant!

miru
05-30-2017, 02:36 PM
All glory to the Toad Baron!

DrSpengler
06-03-2017, 04:10 PM
Late to the game on this one because I was out of town, but here's my full summary and review of TMNT Universe #10 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2017/06/tmnt-universe-10.html)

So far, there hasn't been an issue of TMNT Universe that I haven't liked. Some weak elements in places (the dialogue between Alopex and Angel was pretty bad in this one), but nothing that would make for a completely unenjoyable read.

Honestly, it's been a really good series so far.

ctt4lfecw
06-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Not really feeling some of these Pantheon characters. Toad Barron? C''mon. But I hope when Alopex and Angel spy on them the Pantheon can give us something interesting to talk about because God knows we need it. I'm looking forward the most to the Krang trial in August. That story arc sounds promising.

AlZarkovski
06-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Full preview (http://www.multiversitycomics.com/previews/tmnt-universe-11/).

Utrommaniac
06-16-2017, 03:24 PM
*Flips table*

He's a coyote!

Also, where did he get that coffee from?

neatoman
06-16-2017, 03:46 PM
*Flips table*

He's a coyote!

Also, where did he get that coffee from?

Probably stole it.

***First of Two Latin Kings***
06-16-2017, 04:17 PM
That one goth girl reminded me of when Shadow went to a werewolf concert in Tales... :tlol:

She didn't remind you of every single page of Raphael: Bad Moon Rising?

neatoman
06-16-2017, 05:01 PM

Hey, we're getting another wolfman now (fine, "coyoteman"...) anyone want some more callbacks to that?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-16-2017, 08:56 PM

Hey man, it took me months to block that from memory. Don't undo that! :trazz:

myconius
06-16-2017, 09:10 PM
Hey man, it took me months to block that from memory. Don't undo that! :trazz:

PWAHAHAHAHA!!! x'D

DestronMirage22
06-17-2017, 02:12 AM
Full preview (http://www.multiversitycomics.com/previews/tmnt-universe-11/).

Looks great so far. Really digging the art and Jagwar's design.

Also, say what you will about Bad Moon Rising, you've at least got to admit the cover art was good.

neatoman
06-17-2017, 04:45 AM
Looks great so far. Really digging the art and Jagwar's design.

Also, say what you will about Bad Moon Rising, you've at least got to admit the cover art was good.

You mean Dreadmon?

DestronMirage22
06-17-2017, 08:05 AM
You mean Dreadmon?

Whoops.
Yeah, I meant Dreadmon. I was half asleep when I made that post. :lol: