PDA

View Full Version : 87 Spin-Off(s)

Danetello
05-22-2017, 07:32 PM
If you could have chosen any character or setting to create a spin-off of from the 1987 toon, what would it be? When I say spin-off, I don't mean just additional TMNT ideas - I really mean spin-offs that do NOT feature the TMNT, April, Channel 6, Splinter, etc. Stand alone series that focus on other areas. I feel that while Shredder should be on my "disallowed list" above, too, I'll make an exception for him if it's tied to a Krang spin-off, as I really feel we need to know more about Krang (see ideas below).

Some of the ideas I would have loved to seen developed would be:

1. Dimension X. Not even necessarily about Krang, but about the universe that is Dimension X. See more of the Neutrinos, and other core species from there. I don't know that this would have been a full series, or even a season, but a 5-parter or something exclusively set within that area without the regular cast would be fun. This one wouldn't feature Krang - perhaps just in a cameo or something.

2. Shredder and Krang's meeting, and the construction of the Technodrome. Again, I doubt this would ever make a full season, but maybe a ten-parter or something? A couple of background eps for JUST Krang (we know a lot about Shredder already), then a few eps about them meeting/the circumstances of their coming together, then the final few eps building the Technodrome that then lead into the original season one. (I suppose this is more like a prequel than a spin-off...)

3. Origins. This would be several stand-alone episodes that feature some sort of backstory into characters that are important to the series, but who we don't really need a full spin-off for. There could be a Rat King ep, a Casey Jones ep... things like that. Perhaps also expanded adventures for characters we DO know the backgrounds for, such as Leatherhead, the Punk Frogs, Mondo Gecko, etc.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

FredWolfLeonardo
05-22-2017, 07:56 PM
I would've loved a Dimension X spin off as well that takes place before the series begins but focuses on elements that got teased in the classic toon like Krang's alliance with Shreeka, Drakcus etc.

However, I would make the main character a good person and not one of the villains (such as the Neutrinos or someone completely new).

Maybe even incorporate aspects of the Nick series into this show since we know 87 Krang was originally a part of the Utroms in the 2k12 toon and that both shows share the same Dimension X.

Utrommaniac
05-22-2017, 08:00 PM
Two seasons of "What were Shredder and Krang up to in Dimension X after they lost the Technodrome"?

Ceres
05-23-2017, 12:29 AM
Two seasons of "What were Shredder and Krang up to in Dimension X after they lost the Technodrome"?

This on so many levels. We need to know how their "love" flourished lol.

oldmanwinters
05-23-2017, 01:17 AM
I think the only two spin-off concepts that could have worked for that show would have been a Mighty Mutanimals series and adding Muckman to the roster of the Toxic Crusaders.

DarkFell
05-23-2017, 01:36 AM
It was more like this..
http://media2.giphy.com/media/NGb7B2kShl9C/giphy.gif

neatoman
05-23-2017, 03:04 AM

"Dimension XXX, rated X". Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure there's tons of fan projects like that, so you kind of already have that Spin-off. See also, "Bebop and Rocksteady's Gay Old Time In The Jungle", pretty much what Archie hinted at.

DestronMirage22
05-23-2017, 08:39 AM

Agreed. They had a fun dynamic and I would've loved seeing more of their antics. :)

Wesley
05-23-2017, 04:59 PM
Maybe a Channel Six spinoff with Vernon and Burne. I thought they had a funny dynamic on the show in episodes such as "Donatello Trashes Slash."

Cryomancer
05-23-2017, 05:07 PM
Alternatively, one about how Shredder and Krang even met to begin with. Did Shredder go on some Dimension X adventure of his own?

pferreira
05-25-2017, 10:16 AM
I would love to see the Neutrinos war in Dimension X.

neatoman
05-25-2017, 10:38 AM

Comments like these make me question if you've actually watched the show in a long time. They weren't part of any war, their introductory episode made it clear they outright refused to.

pferreira
05-25-2017, 11:19 AM
Comments like these make me question if you've actually watched the show in a long time. They weren't part of any war, their introductory episode made it clear they outright refused to.They had to defend their territory, I'd like to see the other side of the portal. Is that difficult for you to understand? Maybe it is...

neatoman
05-25-2017, 11:23 AM
They had to defend their territory, I'd like to see the other side of the portal. Is that difficult for you to understand? Maybe it is...

Of course that's not hard to understand, it would just contradict the show's depiction of them. At that point it wouldn't even be a spin-off, it would be a complete departure.

FredWolfLeonardo
05-25-2017, 05:08 PM
Of course that's not hard to understand, it would just contradict the show's depiction of them. At that point it wouldn't even be a spin-off, it would be a complete departure.

Just because they were a peace loving race doesn't mean they didn't fight to defend themselves.

At the end of season 1, episode 4, they leave because they say they have to carry on the fight in Dimension X and in season 4, we get to see a glimpse of both factions fighting for control of the capital.

neatoman
05-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Just because they were a peace loving race doesn't mean they didn't fight to defend themselves.

At the end of season 1, episode 4, they leave because they say they have to carry on the fight in Dimension X and in season 4, we get to see a glimpse of both factions fighting for control of the capital.

What I mean is that making a show about their war efforts wouldn't fit in with what they were going for with them in the first place. Did they have to defend themselves? Probably but it's not the point of the characters.

If you're gonna make a spin-off based on the Neutrinos, you make it a road trip through Dimension X, not a war they're barely part of.

FredWolfLeonardo
05-25-2017, 05:39 PM
What I mean is that making a show about their war efforts wouldn't fit in with what they were going for with them in the first place. Did they have to defend themselves? Probably but it's not the point of the characters.

If you're gonna make a spin-off based on the Neutrinos, you make it a road trip through Dimension X, not a war they're barely part of.

I think it would fit pretty well. Showing them as fun loving and all for peace, but having them surviving rock soldier assaults and other weird monsters for Dimension X.

Not necessarily fighting and survival for the whole series like you said, but it would definitely make up a good part of their show.

pferreira
05-25-2017, 07:00 PM

At the end of season 1, episode 4, they leave because they say they have to carry on the fight in Dimension X and in season 4, we get to see a glimpse of both factions fighting for control of the capital.Exactly my point! They might even be caught up in a war with the unseen side. That would be fun to watch, a resistance movement cartoon. :)

If you're gonna make a spin-off based on the Neutrinos, you make it a road trip through Dimension X, not a war they're barely part of.We get you don't like the Neutrinos, we get you don't like the show. If you want more respect try to be a bit more positive in these threads. My God you're like a broken record sometimes. :-?

neatoman
05-26-2017, 10:02 AM
Alright, so not really an idea for a spin-off but I was thinking about a DB Kai and/or Transformers season 5 sort of thing to make show a little more presentable.
Shave down and combine multiparters for pacing, mainly use the episodes actually lead somewhere, keep the better episodes in there, correct animation errors, emphasise episodes featuring Mirage characters and keep what feels the most like it could happen in Mirage so it feels more like an actual adaptation, Etc. I don't think it would be good, just easier to watch.

1/2Shell
05-28-2017, 01:30 AM
I'd like to see more of Zach, and have hi do his own spinoff show.

(JUST KIDDING)

Seriously, I'd like to see more of Clayton Kellerman's show "On Trial", that was quite an amusing episode.

Also, Casey Jones could have had his own spinoff series. The Kirk Douglas impression they gave him on the '87 show was quite entertaining.

Maybe the punk frogs could have been fleshed out as well with their own series.

And even Irma could have her own spinoff, too. Why not?

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
05-28-2017, 03:34 AM
If the Neutrinos appear in a Dimension X arc, sure Krang should appear since they fought each other.

billbot85
05-28-2017, 09:59 PM
Alternatively, one about how Shredder and Krang even met to begin with. Did Shredder go on some Dimension X adventure of his own?

Totally agree with this. It would be cool to see how they meet, perhaps even including the pouring of the mutagen down the sewer through Shredder's perspective?

Also, I think Krang came to Earth and met Shredder that way.

neatoman
05-29-2017, 05:00 AM
Totally agree with this. It would be cool to see how they meet, perhaps even including the pouring of the mutagen down the sewer through Shredder's perspective?

I would honestly love to hear the conversation Shredder had with Krang about poisoning Hamato Yoshi.

Shredder: Krang! I'm going to use this chemical that is purple now but is usually green and keeps changing color for no good reason, see you in a while.

Krang: Why? Are you planning on creating super soldiers?

Shredder: I'm going to poison my ancient enemy, a pennyless hobo who lives in the sewers and doesn't have any allies! Who knows how he's going going to thwart my Technodrome?!

Krang: ... OK... Yes, he sounds very dangerous to MY alien war machine, but would you please send out a robotic drone instead? Best case scenario, you're going to create an angry giant cockroach.

Shredder: Ah, the devil with you, what do you know? You're just a giant brain who made the stuff.

05-29-2017, 06:44 AM

Krang was banished from Dimension X, so it's probably that way. Shredder had never seen Dimension X when first ending up there by the end of the first season.

billbot85
05-29-2017, 07:29 AM
Krang was banished from Dimension X, so it's probably that way. Shredder had never seen Dimension X when first ending up there by the end of the first season.

Right, that's how I remembered it. Krang was banished from Dimension X (with his technodrome, no less) and at some point met Shredder and became allies.

05-29-2017, 08:08 AM
And even Irma could have her own spinoff, too. Why not?

Maybe Channel 6 could have?

billbot85
05-29-2017, 08:18 AM
I would honestly love to hear the conversation Shredder had with Krang about poisoning Hamato Yoshi.

Shredder: Krang! I'm going to use this chemical that is purple now but is usually green and keeps changing color for no good reason, see you in a while.

Shredder: I'm going to poison my ancient enemy, a pennyless hobo who lives in the sewers and doesn't have any allies! Who knows how he's going going to thwart my Technodrome?!

Krang: ... OK... Yes, he sounds very dangerous to MY alien war machine, but would you please send out a robotic drone instead? Best case scenario, you're going to create an angry giant cockroach.

Shredder: Ah, the devil with you, what do you know? You're just a giant brain who made the stuff.

LOL. This seems about accurate :tlol:

05-29-2017, 09:28 AM

Krang should continue warning Shredder even more.

neatoman
05-29-2017, 02:17 PM
Krang should continue warning Shredder even more.

I didn't want to drag it out but alright, you asked for it:

Krang: You're darn right I made that stuff, do not use it as a poison!

Shredder: Oh please you literal spineless slug, Ninjas have used poisons for hundreds of years, I'll be the judge of what makes a good poison!

Krang: That there is a highly expensive super soldier serum, using it as a poison on your enemies is only going to make them stronger. For the last time, do not use it as a poison, you bumbling moron!

Shredder: Ha! Says you, what's he going to turn into? Vermin? I don't know what the sewers in your precious Dimension X has crawling in them, but it's hardly very dangerous!

Krang: Fine, suit yourself, Shredder. At least remember to use the resources I have given (for a body you won't give) right next time?

Shredder: Sure, I was thinking about making two random muggers my top lieutenants.

Krang: Oh boy... Sometimes I wish you were an Utrom, then you'd at least have the brain cells to clean the Technodrome up before plundering what it has to offer...

Shredder: What was that?

Krang: Nothing!... (I knew I should have gone with that D'hoonibian Fugitoid instead...)

05-29-2017, 03:28 PM
Krang: Oh boy... Sometimes I wish you were an Utrom

Shredder: Perhaps in an alternate reality...

Prowler
05-29-2017, 08:43 PM
Yeah I second the Shredder and Krang meeting in Dimension X and Krang's life when he had a body as ruler of said dimension.

Although, now that I think of it, I wonder if they ever planned on making a Punk Frogs cartoon in case they'd have been morre popular...

05-30-2017, 09:09 AM
Yeah I second the Shredder and Krang meeting in Dimension X and Krang's life when he had a body as ruler of said dimension.

Although, now that I think of it, I wonder if they ever planned on making a Punk Frogs cartoon in case they'd have been morre popular...

I know production of a Mutanimals cartoon was supposed.

neatoman
05-30-2017, 11:18 AM
I know production of a Mutanimals cartoon was supposed.

Funny thing, that was shut down because Playmates didn't feel like sponsoring a cartoon that would just market repackaged toys. Considering stuff like that, I doubt that era of TMNT would ever actually produced a spin-off, which why I suggested a redux. It's not exactly unheard of for this type of cartoon.

Transformers did that twice:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers_(cartoon)#Season_5
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Generation_2_(cartoon)

05-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Funny thing, that was shut down because Playmates didn't feel like sponsoring a cartoon that would just market repackaged toys. Considering stuff like that, I doubt that era of TMNT would ever actually produced a spin-off, which why I suggested a redux. It's not exactly unheard of for this type of cartoon.

Transformers did that twice:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers_(cartoon)#Season_5
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Generation_2_(cartoon)

I guess a Mutanimals series would last only one season, unless the Mutanimals somehow had managed to dehtrone the TMNT by the mid-1990's.

Cobrakahn
05-30-2017, 11:57 AM

That would be awesome

05-30-2017, 12:00 PM

We saw some in "Four Turtles and a Baby", so those events in that episode would probably be the main-source for such a story.

pferreira
06-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Alright, so not really an idea for a spin-off but I was thinking about a DB Kai and/or Transformers season 5 sort of thing to make show a little more presentable.
Shave down and combine multiparters for pacing, mainly use the episodes actually lead somewhere, keep the better episodes in there, correct animation errors, emphasise episodes featuring Mirage characters and keep what feels the most like it could happen in Mirage so it feels more like an actual adaptation, Etc. I don't think it would be good, just easier to watch.Great suggestion! Good constructive criticism. See, you're easier talk to when you're like this. :)

That would be awesomeI know, it would be wouldn't it? :tgrin:

We saw some in "Four Turtles and a Baby", so those events in that episode would probably be the main-source for such a story.I do feel there was a lot of unexplored stories there.