PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Time for a board upgrade? (vBulletin)

Andrew NDB
05-26-2017, 01:29 PM
The latest version of vBulletin (the message board software) is 5.3.0 and the Drome is still running 3.8.7 which is a few years old at this point. Any chance of an upgrade to 5.3.0?

Anyone curious to what a 5.3.0 vBulletin board looks like, I just completed installation and customization of the Official Highlander message board, which you can see here: http://www.highlander-community.com

You can integrate Facebook, there is Likes, and it's mobile friendly out of the box.

DestronMirage22
05-26-2017, 02:11 PM
I honestly like the way the boards are now.
It's all simple.
And kinda quaint.

snake
05-26-2017, 02:32 PM
No, it's perfect the way it is.

Krutch
05-26-2017, 02:51 PM
I don't like change.

Never change the 'Drome.

I like what I know to expect :D

Powder
05-26-2017, 03:48 PM
It should remain as it is now forever.

Netkeeper
05-26-2017, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't object. But I don't think it will happen, either.

FredWolfLeonardo
05-26-2017, 03:50 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Prowler
05-26-2017, 03:57 PM
The forums work fine the way they are now and it's had this look since the very first day. So yeah, no need to change just for the heck of it.

Also, that's a really subtle manner of promoting your own message board, Andrew :P

Stephen
05-26-2017, 04:03 PM
It probably will have to be upgraded eventually, if they stop providing security patches for 3.x

Cure
05-26-2017, 04:38 PM
I've read plenty of people say "I wish I could like this!" so if this that makes that possible then I say go for it, but who knows what Krang and Shredder think.

Andrew NDB
05-26-2017, 04:43 PM
Phones is the big thing. A lot of people aren't just sitting at home on their computers browsing forums anymore... they're on their phone. And good luck trying to efficiently browse and post on the Drome from your phone.

5.3.0 makes it really easy. It recognizes when you're accessing it on your phone and lays it out perfect.

Cure
05-26-2017, 05:05 PM
I'm using the mobile version of the Drome right now. There's a thread about it in this very section.

The Deadman
05-26-2017, 06:05 PM
I have no problem browsing the forum on a phone.

TurtleWA
05-26-2017, 06:16 PM
Not sure what others see on desktops I only have a phone. I see first image then press default and see second. I don't really have enough information to have an opinion either way. Would hate to upgrade to a version that was not as "good" and want the old one back.

IndigoErth
05-26-2017, 06:50 PM
Not sure what others see on desktops I only have a phone.
Same as the image on the right, just not as narrow.

Another vote for leaving it alone.

Only if there was ever reason it was forced to, and in that case I'd hope it would keep a same/similar color scheme since it is easy on sensitive eyes.

TigerClaw
05-26-2017, 07:00 PM
As much as we like the forum as it is, you have to take into account, the new version probably patches some of the security issues from a previous version, so it would be wise to upgrade the board to a newer version, to help keep it from getting hacked in the future.

I read about message boards getting hacked, and then the admins restoring them from a backup, and this is cause they are using an old version of the message board, so upgrading them to the latest version will prevent them from getting hacked again.

Stephen
05-26-2017, 07:56 PM
I have no problem browsing the forum on a phone.

There's also this https://www.textise.net/showText.aspx?strURL=http%253A//forums.thetechnodrome.com/

FredWolfLeonardo
05-26-2017, 08:15 PM
I still use the normal layout of the drome on my phone despite being able to use the mobile versions, it all works just as good as it would on the computer.

The mobile version is simple, but the default layout has many more features which is why I use it more often, unless I'm travelling and have limited data.

sdp
05-26-2017, 09:40 PM
About ten years ago Krang told me he was trying to update the main site to make it modern. I'm guessing he'll get to the forums once Thetechnodrome.com hits web 2.0 in a decade or so.

CyberCubed
05-27-2017, 02:23 AM
This forum feels like it's from the year 2001.

IndigoErth
05-27-2017, 12:08 PM
This forum feels like it's from the year 2001.
But look at it this way, it can help you cling to your youth. ;) lol

Coola Yagami
06-01-2017, 09:39 AM
I post on my phone all the time and never had a problem.

The Deadman
06-01-2017, 05:47 PM
But look at it this way, it can help you cling to your youth. ;) lol

Im surprised he didnt give a rant on how forums werent a thing back in 2001...

Netkeeper
06-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Probably because they were?

Andrew NDB
06-01-2017, 07:20 PM
I'm sure the license is expired by now. I just went through it all and the price tag for a full upgrade would be under $400. If Krang doesn't want to pay I'm sure a Gofundme would work. I'd chip in.

Powder
06-01-2017, 11:18 PM
I'd donate to keep the site alive, should it one day be necessary, but not to upgrade it.

#dontchangethedrome

CyberCubed
06-02-2017, 01:48 AM
Just think in the unlikely event the forums ever close down, the only place to discuss TMNT left would be twitter or tumblr. The horror.

Nortock Diab
06-02-2017, 06:50 AM
I'd participate in a funding as well.

myconius
06-06-2017, 08:50 AM
i'd donate to keeping this forum going as well, if it needed to.

i'm not really sure how to feel about the thought of an upgrade?
i like the look and feel of the drome the way it is now, though an increase in security is never a bad thing.

myconius
06-08-2017, 01:11 PM
any news on this?

TigerClaw
06-08-2017, 02:09 PM
i'd donate to keeping this forum going as well, if it needed to.

i'm not really sure how to feel about the thought of an upgrade?
i like the look and feel of the drome the way it is now, though an increase in security is never a bad thing.
Upgrades to message boards are necessary, cause they are prone to being hacked if some hacker finds a vulnerability in it.

I seen forums getting hacked and then they have to restore from a backup, and then upgrading to a newer version that fixes those security issues.

myconius
06-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Upgrades to message boards are necessary, cause they are prone to being hacked if some hacker finds a vulnerability in it.

I seen forums getting hacked and then they have to restore from a backup, and then upgrading to a newer version that fixes those security issues.

is Krang the only one in charge of starting the upgrade then?

Andrew NDB
06-08-2017, 02:39 PM
is Krang the only one in charge of starting the upgrade then?

Yeah. The only one.

myconius
06-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Yeah. The only one.

well.... i guess we wait.

hope for the best...

i'll still donate, if and when the time should come.

Andrew NDB
07-28-2017, 06:06 PM
** bump **

sdp
07-29-2017, 09:41 PM
Krang doesn't care about the drome, I hope if he ever loses interest to continue paying the server he'll at least let someone take it over.

CyberCubed
07-30-2017, 01:41 AM
Krang doesn't care about the drome, I hope if he ever loses interest to continue paying the server he'll at least let someone take it over.

I'm surprised these forums still exist after 17 years. At some point they'll die and we'll all have to go to tumblr.

Coola Yagami
07-30-2017, 06:16 PM
I hope not. Tumblr sucks, at least when compared to a real message board.

Casey
07-30-2017, 06:38 PM
I love it the way it is, but I use my iPad and iPhone way more than my computer, so the mobile friendly site would be awesome.

CyberCubed
07-31-2017, 12:22 AM
I hope not. Tumblr sucks, at least when compared to a real message board.

All TV shows, movies, comics are now discussed on tumblr. They also post and reblog gifs and screens from episodes for easy viewing.

Message boards are for old timers, tumblr is the new hotness with today's modern society.

ABrown
07-31-2017, 08:23 PM
TFW2005 did an upgrade within the last year. It hasn't gone too bad. It's about 1,000 times better than the mess that they've got going on over at Toonzone.

CyberCubed
08-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Toonzone has also been dead for a while. I just started posting random stuff there in the DC section to try and liven it up. :lol:

Every message board or forum I've visited over the last 15 years is now either barren or completely dead. I have no idea what's going on. Even hugely popular sites like IGN don't have anywhere as much activity as they used to.

snake
08-01-2017, 02:00 PM
I'm surprised we're as active as we are.

CyberCubed
08-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Because this place is filled with old disgruntled 25-30+ year old adults.

All the young teen/kid fans of Nick's TMNT are on tumblr. They post all about the episodes and everything TMNT on tumblr now. Same for a lot of other franchises I follow. It's the only reason I started lurking tumblr at some points.

Forums are for dinosaurs. They are like VHS tapes and tumblr are "DVDs."

Andrew NDB
08-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Because this place is filled with old disgruntled 25-30+ year old adults.

All the young teen/kid fans of Nick's TMNT are on tumblr. They post all about the episodes and everything TMNT on tumblr now. Same for a lot of other franchises I follow. It's the only reason I started lurking tumblr at some points.

Forums are for dinosaurs. They are like VHS tapes and tumblr are "DVDs."

Newer versions of vBulletin are dressed up a bit more "modern" sensibilities. You can "Like" threads and connect it to Facebook and such. This board is two core versions in the past. vBulletin 3.0 came out like 10 years ago.

***First of Two Latin Kings***
08-02-2017, 09:08 AM
I almost think all the venom spitting keeps this place alive.

Vegita-San
08-02-2017, 09:34 AM
I almost think all the venom spitting keeps this place alive.

While that may be sadly true, as we know adults love 'drama'..

I'd be more than happy with LESS activity and LESS venom.

Message boards have gotten far too insane lately with combative personalities. and people are too afraid to deal with them or too nice to get rid of 'em.

I do miss the old days of the internet with more discussion. although, with older properties, I guess alot of the same things keep getting discussed, which may be another reason why people are abandoning message boards for other areas.

as for forum upgrades.. i like the classic look, but I WOULD like an option to like posts. Sometimes a post doesn't require a reply, but it's liked and appreciated. I keep looking for the like option and forgetting it's not on here :).

TFW2005 did an upgrade within the last year. It hasn't gone too bad. It's about 1,000 times better than the mess that they've got going on over at Toonzone.

Toonzone. i forgot about that place. talk about the early days of the internet.

is it still active?

ABrown
08-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Toonzone has also been dead for a while. I just started posting random stuff there in the DC section to try and liven it up. :lol:

Toonzone. i forgot about that place. talk about the early days of the internet.
is it still active?

Yeah, Toonzone is pretty much a post apocalyptic barren wasteland these days. But the reason that I don't go there much is cause their system is ALWAYS having problems. They're the perfect example of what can go wrong with a forum upgrade.

snake
08-02-2017, 01:14 PM
What exactly went wrong with Toonzone? I don't browse there but I'm curious. I thought it was just an inactive site.

sdp
08-02-2017, 05:21 PM
I posted a lot on ToonZone since it was the place to talk about the DCAU and after TT and JLU finished I ventured into other parts. After a few years I was banned for being "antagonistic", which was me just pointing out hiphopcracy of the moderators which they would delete or modify posts to not leave evidence. I was finally permabanned for sarcastically pointing out that their April Fools celebration was just spamming and not funny or a joke.

I kept posting for another year under an anagram of sdp and it took them a year to find out and ban me. :lol: I made a third account but I guess by then the place had already changed since I really didn't use that account anymore and stopped posting. Like a year or two after that I was emailed and told that my permaban had been lifted and to please join the discussions in the new TZ forums. So, I guess they were hurting for users by then since they unbanned me and I'm guessing everyone but that place was already dead, the last few times I've tried going is a huge mess of a site, I can't use the forums because of all the added crap that no one wants to use.

Vegita-San
08-02-2017, 05:52 PM
things i learned the hard way. when a place has mods as bad as some of the users you are not fond of, that choose sides and call names just as easily?
Best to avoid contact.....the ONLY place i've been banned, for pointing out that the mods where not doing their jobs, and if they'd just prune members who constantly cause problems, i wouldn't feel the need to defend myself so many times.... was one of those times.

At that point i was ready to leave anyway if the wrong thing happened..so i was rather grateful in the end.... once i got over the witch hunt feeling of it all..took a while since i was there for 7 years with no problems. sigh :)

but sadly lots of places are getting like that now adays, and you can't escape it, which is probably why message boards are going the way of the dodo..

snake
08-02-2017, 06:51 PM
The worst board I've ever been on was Jedi Council/TheForce.net.

What a sh*thole. Some of the worst, most uptight mods I've ever seen. It's basically reddit; since no one is allowed to speak their mind, you have this faux-niceness attitude going on and it's annoying as f*ck.

The best forums are the ones with lax or absent mods. Like here!

Cure
08-02-2017, 07:16 PM
things i learned the hard way. when a place has mods as bad as some of the users you are not fond of, that choose sides and call names just as easily?
Best to avoid contact.....the ONLY place i've been banned, for pointing out that the mods where not doing their jobs, and if they'd just prune members who constantly cause problems, i wouldn't feel the need to defend myself so many times.... was one of those times.

At that point i was ready to leave anyway if the wrong thing happened..so i was rather grateful in the end.... once i got over the witch hunt feeling of it all..took a while since i was there for 7 years with no problems. sigh :)

but sadly lots of places are getting like that now adays, and you can't escape it, which is probably why message boards are going the way of the dodo..

You need a hobby outside of the internet, man. For real.

Vegita-San
08-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Yeah, Toonzone is pretty much a post apocalyptic barren wasteland these days. But the reason that I don't go there much is cause their system is ALWAYS having problems. They're the perfect example of what can go wrong with a forum upgrade.

i'm rather surprised they are still around. they where once the only game in town, now they have competition.

CyberCubed
08-03-2017, 04:07 AM
Toonzone used to be a great place to discuss western cartoons especially in the early 2000's. The whole DCAU board was active for all the DC shows and the Justice League and Teen Titans review threads went on for hundreds of replies.

We had TMNT 2k3 review threads there too when the show was airing, and a whole bunch of activity for all of Cartoon Networks shows there.

Toonzone sort of fell off a cliff around 2010, somewhere around that point it stopped being as active and now we're 7 years later. I only browse it to find out news about Young Justice nowadays.