PDA

View Full Version : Mutanimals films

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
05-30-2017, 11:49 AM
Does anyone think it would it be possible to make a film or film series based on the Mutanimals (mainly thinking of the same members as in the Archieverse), and make it reach at least some popularity level.

Cobrakahn
05-30-2017, 11:56 AM
Yes! I know for a minute the Mutanimals almost got a show. I would love for the current line up to get a tv show or movie. Slash and Pigeon Pete might be my favorite.

ProphetofGanja
05-30-2017, 11:56 AM
Not without a really, really good TMNT film franchise

05-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Yes! I know for a minute the Mutanimals almost got a show. I would love for the current line up to get a tv show or movie. Slash and Pigeon Pete might be my favorite.

I think the original Mutanimals of the Archieverse are greater. Also remember, Slash later teamed up with them.

neatoman
05-30-2017, 12:59 PM
To keep with Mutanimals spirit, the movies will stop midway through the story and it won't conclude until a TMNT movie. Also, they die for no good reason.

05-30-2017, 01:07 PM
To keep with Mutanimals spirit, the movies will stop midway through the story and it won't conclude until a TMNT movie. Also, they die for no good reason.

I guess killing them was a reason for writing them out of the Archieverse during the 1990's.

miru
05-30-2017, 02:43 PM
I think it should be a thing. Not until we get a solid Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film again, however.

DestronMirage22
05-30-2017, 03:03 PM
Not without a really, really good TMNT film franchise

I think it should be a thing. Not until we get a solid Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film again, however.

This.
_________

05-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Not until we get a solid Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film again, however.

Who cares, as long as the Mutanimals film is good?

DisKosh
05-30-2017, 03:31 PM
Only if it was based on the IDW comic.

05-30-2017, 03:44 PM
Only if it was based on the IDW comic.

What's wrong with thei Archie Mutanimals?

DisKosh
05-30-2017, 04:14 PM
What's wrong with the Archie Mutanimals?

Okay, I admit the Archie comics are really a gap in my knowledge of TMNT. I was put off by the fact they're based heavily on the 80's cartoon and April's a reporter.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the cartoon, but I wouldn't read a comic about it.

Unless it's a dark, gritty version. Then I'd give it a go. :)

neatoman
05-30-2017, 04:15 PM
What's wrong with thei Archie Mutanimals?

Ill-defined personalities (seriously, Jagwar and Dreadmon's "personalities" are to speak with accents), set-up with payoff elsewhere (name a single story that didn't finish in the main book), no real mission statement (environmentalism maybe?), no real character dynamic (seriously that's the cornerstone of storytelling and I can barely think of any) and a good chunk of them don't technically fit the description of mutant (Mondo and Ray, that's it).

With IDW most of these problems were fixed:

Personalities? Thug (Hob), anger issues (Slash), moron (Pete), strict (Herman), etc.
Set-up and payoff? The mini was a complete story and they're just supporting characters otherwise.
Mission statment? Protecting/increasing the mutant population.
Character dynamic? Plenty of disagreements between the characters and genuine comradery outside missions.
Mutants? All of them (unless you count Lindsey).

And before you say anything, I guess the Nick mutanimals fix most of these problems too but... They're so annoying....
KRAAAAAAAAAANG!!!
BREEEEEAAAAAAD!!!
*GRUFF VOICE* (SOMETHING THAT MIGHT AS WELL COME FROM ANY OTHER CHARACTER)
*SNOOTY VOICE YOU'D HEAR IN SPONGEBOB* BLAH BLAH BLAH, I'M SO SMART, BLAH BLAH BLAH, NOTHING OF SUBSTANCE, BLAH BLAH BLAH, NOTHING ELSE.
I AM MADE OF TRASH, PITY ME!
REMEMBER ME? I WAS IN THE ORIGINAL MOVIE! WATCH ME LICK MY EYEBALL, GET MY ASS KICKED SEVERAL TIMES OVER AND YELL ALL THE TIME! COWABUNGA!
... It's not really that charming...

Powder
05-30-2017, 04:27 PM
I don't think it would ever happen, but at the very least you could make a great animated feature adapting one of their iterations' arcs.

Okay, I admit the Archie comics are really a gap in my knowledge of TMNT. I was put off by the fact they're based heavily on the 80's cartoon and April's a reporter.

The Archie series really only uses the old cartoon as a jumping off point. Once you get into the late #20's & beyond, it becomes a lot more mature. There are actually a lot of surprisingly dark/adult moments throughout the series. I know a lot of folks who don't really like the OT but love Archie's run (once Chris Allan got on board, at least)!

DisKosh
05-30-2017, 04:39 PM
With IDW most of these problems were fixed:

Personalities? Thug (Hob), anger issues (Slash), moron (Pete), strict (Herman), etc.
Set-up and payoff? The mini was a complete story and they're just supporting characters otherwise.
Mission statment? Protecting/increasing the mutant population.
Character dynamic? Plenty of disagreements between the characters and genuine comradery outside missions.
Mutants? All of them (unless you count Lindsey).

So much yes! I love the Mutanimals in IDW, any issue with them is automatically among my favourites. I'm neutral on their portrayal in the Nick version, the only thing that I really prefer about it is the addition of Leatherhead but his arc in IDW's set up in such a way that it doesn't make sense for him to join them.

Lindsey's a really likable character so I don't mind that she's not a mutant (also, I ship her with Sally).

The Archie series really only uses the old cartoon as a jumping off point. Once you get into the late #20's & beyond, it becomes a lot more mature. There are actually a lot of surprisingly dark/adult moments throughout the series. I know a lot of folks who don't really like the OT but love Archie's run (once Chris Allan got on board, at least)!

If I can find them, I may give it a go. :)

05-30-2017, 04:47 PM
The Archie series really only uses the old cartoon as a jumping off point.

It was originally intended to adapt episodes. I guess it was something about the rights that went wrong.

Powder
05-30-2017, 04:49 PM
Naw, they just wanted to do their own thing. & it's good they did!

05-30-2017, 04:55 PM

Yes, they did right, because it created a new universe. But it was still originally intended to just adopt the episodes.

Andrew NDB
05-30-2017, 05:16 PM
I enjoy the old Mutanimals stuff just fine but I don't think I would ever want to see it in live-action. Maybe an animated special or something.

DisKosh
05-30-2017, 05:37 PM
I enjoy the old Mutanimals stuff just fine but I don't think I would ever want to see it in live-action. Maybe an animated special or something.

What about animated?

GoldMutant
05-30-2017, 09:14 PM
Unless it were a film in a Turtles Cinematic Universe built up fairly well or an animated DTV, I honestly can't see the Mutanimals carrying a film for the most part. The concepts are there though to experiment with, just needs a decent execution.

cloud
05-31-2017, 01:49 AM
Need to build a strong TMNT movie franchise first.
TMNT as a franchise itself has many casual fans that knows only the turtles, April O'Neil, Splinter and Shredder. And some of them care about Krang in some capacity.
So to go beyond those core characters will need a good TMNT movie that sets up a bigger world and more mutants.

Andrew NDB
05-31-2017, 01:54 AM
What about animated?

That's what I said.

TMNT as a franchise itself has many casual fans that knows only the turtles, April O'Neil, Splinter and Shredder. And some of them care about Krang in some capacity.
So to go beyond those core characters will need a good TMNT movie that sets up a bigger world and more mutants.

But that's the antithesis of what a TMNT movieverse should do... a giant thing with tons of mutants isn't the way to go. I can't get behind Mutanimals or a Nicktoon-like universe where they're just tripping over other mutants.

I don't agree with everything Peter Laird has ever said, but he's dead right about that part. You populate the Turtles' world with tons of mutants everywhere you turn... what exactly makes them special? Unique? The thing that always appeals to me (one thing) about the Turtles is, under the bravado they're quite aware they are absolutely alone in the world and they are the last of their kind. You f*** that up, what's the point?

neatoman
05-31-2017, 03:09 AM

Yeah, while I'm not exactly a fan of the end product, I must admit that ignoring the show was a good call. It's not very good in my opinion, but even at his worst Murphy has a better grasp on what's an interesting story than someone like Wise.

That's what I said.

But that's the antithesis of what a TMNT movieverse should do... a giant thing with tons of mutants isn't the way to go. I can't get behind Mutanimals or a Nicktoon-like universe where they're just tripping over other mutants.

I don't agree with everything Peter Laird has ever said, but he's dead right about that part. You populate the Turtles' world with tons of mutants everywhere you turn... what exactly makes them special? Unique? The thing that always appeals to me (one thing) about the Turtles is, under the bravado they're quite aware they are absolutely alone in the world and they are the last of their kind. You f*** that up, what's the point?

True, kind of hard to buy the loneliness of the Turtles when solving that problem would just take a trip to the pet store.

05-31-2017, 06:52 AM

The original Krang character is almost as well-known as the turtles, April O'Neil, Splinter and Shredder.

Tetsu Deinonychus
05-31-2017, 12:38 PM

The Archie series only follows the FW cartoon for the first few issues. After that it becomes "the cartoon with better writing" then gradually evolves into "Mirage style writing in a FW cartoon style universe", with a neat educational phase in the middle that's a bit preachy but very entertaining.

06-01-2017, 09:09 AM
The Archie series only follows the FW cartoon for the first few issues. After that it becomes "the cartoon with better writing" then gradually evolves into "Mirage style writing in a FW cartoon style universe", with a neat educational phase in the middle that's a bit preachy but very entertaining.

It's great to see the turtles travel! The only things missing during the international travels were some more science fiction. But we later got that with Future Shark trilogy and the return to Dimension X.

pferreira
06-01-2017, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a Mutanimals movie. Could be fun even if it's animated but please stick to the source material and don't go for the IDW comic since that's the latest interpretation.

ProphetofGanja
06-01-2017, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a Mutanimals movie. Could be fun even if it's animated but please stick to the source material and don't go for the IDW comic since that's the latest interpretation.

I dunno, I really love the IDW Mutanimals. I think they could carry a standalone direct-to-DVD animated flick, their comic miniseries was really good.

myconius
06-01-2017, 10:23 AM
the only way i could see a Mutanimal based movie is if they were first introduced in a Tmnt feature film.

neatoman
06-01-2017, 11:11 AM
I dunno, I really love the IDW Mutanimals. I think they could carry a standalone direct-to-DVD animated flick, their comic miniseries was really good.

Yeah, the original Mutanimals really do pale in comparison. It was at best a really unrefined concept.

DisKosh
06-01-2017, 04:33 PM

Agreed. Honestly, I think it's my favourite IDW mini series.

ProphetofGanja
06-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Agreed. Honestly, I think it's my favourite IDW mini series.

Hmm, I was about to say "agreed" but then I thought about Secret History of the Foot Clan, Utrom Empire, Turtles in Time, and Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything. It's so hard to choose! I guess they're all tied for my favorite :lol:

neatoman
06-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Hmm, I was about to say "agreed" but then I thought about Secret History of the Foot Clan, Utrom Empire, Turtles in Time, and Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything. It's so hard to choose! I guess they're all tied for my favorite :lol:

... I don't think I can agree myself. It's well written and has plenty of world building, which is nice, but Kuhn's artwork really isn't for me. Still, none of them are actually bad by any means. (Casey and April is pretty boring though).

myconius
06-02-2017, 07:10 AM

definitely hard to chose a favorite among the minis! at a time 'Secret History..' was hands down my favorite, but my latest re-read i was absolutely loving 'Turtles in time'.
i guess picking and choosing just all depends on the given mood? :)

... I don't think I can agree myself. It's well written and has plenty of world building, which is nice, but Kuhn's artwork really isn't for me. Still, none of them are actually bad by any means. (Casey and April is pretty boring though).

yeah, as much as i really enjoy the supporting characters it's hard for me to fully engage in a story not focused on the Turtles and Splinter for too long.
i'm glad they are doing two-issue arcs in Tmnt:Universe.
sometimes 3 or 4 issues is way too long to spend with a supporting character.
4 issues was definitely WAYYY too long to spend with Casey and April driving around a barren desert! :lol:

06-06-2017, 07:03 AM
I'ld prefer a Mutanimals film taking place in Brazil.

neatoman
06-06-2017, 10:09 AM
I'ld prefer a Mutanimals film taking place in Brazil.

Why exactly?

06-06-2017, 10:46 AM
Why exactly?

It was their base of operations in the Mutanimals comics, we already have New York City for the turtles.

pferreira
06-08-2017, 04:04 PM
I dunno, I really love the IDW Mutanimals. I think they could carry a standalone direct-to-DVD animated flick, their comic miniseries was really good.If I had it my way I'd make direct to DVD movies of every iteration. :D

06-08-2017, 04:33 PM
If I had it my way I'd make direct to DVD movies of every iteration. :D

Why direct to DVD? To allow more violence?

pferreira
06-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Why direct to DVD? To allow more violence?No, just to allow further adventures from every iteration. :)

06-14-2017, 01:04 PM
No, just to allow further adventures from every iteration. :)

Mow many films should there be?

pferreira
06-15-2017, 09:51 AM
Mow many films should there be?As many as the fans want there to be. :D

06-15-2017, 05:05 PM
As many as the fans want there to be. :D

I'd prefer a trilogy.

pferreira
06-22-2017, 09:43 AM
I'd prefer a trilogy.If they sell the studio would want more so why not keep going?

06-22-2017, 09:46 AM
If they sell the studio would want more so why not keep going?

Too many films would make the producers run out of ideas, reducing the quality.

neatoman
06-22-2017, 10:21 AM
Too many films would make the producers run out of ideas, reducing the quality.

That and there's nearly no source material to use, there's like a total of of 16 issues between both Archie and IDW. It would have to rely on new ideas after one or two movies, making them run out of ideas even quicker.

06-22-2017, 01:33 PM
That and there's nearly no source material to use, there's like a total of of 16 issues between both Archie and IDW. It would have to rely on new ideas after one or two movies, making them run out of ideas even quicker.

If you get many good ideas, it's better to make a TV-series.

pferreira
06-29-2017, 09:38 AM
If you get many good ideas, it's better to make a TV-series.Make TV movies/DVD films off any of the series or comics. That's what I would want.