PDA

View Full Version : Animaniacs Reboot

Autbot_Benz
05-30-2017, 12:31 PM
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/animaniacs-reboot-steven-spielberg-amblin-1201817336/

Hellloooo, nurse: It’s time for “Animaniacs” – again!

Amblin Television and Warner Bros. Animation are kicking around a brand new version of the hit 1990s cartoon, IndieWire has learned. The potential reboot comes as “Animaniacs” has experienced a new surge in popularity since arriving on Netflix last year. Steven Spielberg, who developed the original as a follow-up to the success of his “Tiny Toon Adventures,” is expected to be on board in crafting the updated version.

There’s no home yet for “Animaniacs,” and insiders caution that it’s still in the early stages of development. But 1990s nostalgia is big business these days – witness the success of another Warner Bros. TV title, “Fuller House,” which is one of the most-watched originals on Netflix.

“Animaniacs” ran for 99 episodes – from 1993 to 1995 on Fox Kids, before moving to Kids’ WB from 1995 to 1998. It also spawned the primetime spinoff “Pinky and the Brain,” which aired on The WB.

The cartoon consisted of various segments (including “Pinky and the Brain”), all tied together by the Warner siblings – Yakko, Wakoo and Dot, who were said to have been trapped in the Warner Bros. lot watertower since the 1930s until their escape. Tom Ruegger, who oversaw the show’s creation, was inspired by his own three children in developing the characters. “Animaniacs” was popular with kids, but young adults also gravitated to its sophisticated humor and references.

READ MORE: ‘Summer Camp Island’ Goes From Sundance Short to Cartoon Network Series

Voice stars on the series included Rob Paulsen, Tress MacNeille, Jess Harnell, Sherri Stoner and Maurice LaMarche. Each episode was also heavily scored with original songs and music.

“Animaniacs” won eight Daytime Emmy Awards during its run, as well as a Peabody Award. “Too often today, animation on television is produced in a workman-like manner, with little attention paid to characterization, illustration, and above all, narrative storytelling,” the Peabody website says in explaining the 1993 honor.

“This series, with appeal to adults as well as children, reminds us of the glory days of Hollywood animation and brings that period up-to-date with sparkling characters, witty dialogue, and stunning production. The magic touch of executive producer Steven Spielberg is in evidence in the work of senior producers Rich Arons and Sherri Stoner, and the rest of the outstanding production team. For restoring quality to the daily animated television series, and for doing so in a thoroughly engaging and highly kinetic manner, a Peabody to Steven Spielberg Presents Animaniacs.”

READ MORE: ‘Adventure Time’ Is Slowly Going Off the Air, And Everyone’s Moving On

The show ended with the 1999 direct-to-video release “Wakko’s Wish.” But the show remains so fondly remembered that Paulsen and the cast recently announced plans to reunite via “Animaniacs Live!” stage shows, including one last month in La Mirada, Calif., with more dates later this year.

MsMarvelDuckie
05-30-2017, 12:41 PM
If it gets off the ground, I could really get behind this! One of my favorites from those days.

Autbot_Benz
05-30-2017, 12:46 PM
As long as they get Rob Paulsen Jess Harnell Tress Macneille Maurice Lamarche

I will be for it. Since Spielberg is working on it I think we have a good chance.

plastroncafe
05-30-2017, 12:54 PM
Yeah, get the ol' gang together and I'm there like white on rice.

ranger_scout
05-30-2017, 12:55 PM
As long as they get Rob Paulsen Jess Harnell Tress Macneille Maurice Lamarche

I will be for it. Since Spielberg is working on it I think we have a good chance.

The fact that Spielberg is behind this means that the original cast is for sure going to return. I can't imagine that he and Warner Bros. would do what The Powerpuff Girls reboot did by recasting the leads. If the 'Rita and Runt' cartoons are included I hope they get Bernadette Peters to come back. She truly has one of the best voices in show business.

drgon78
05-30-2017, 12:57 PM
Considering how disappointed I have been with most reboots, I will not get too excited for this one.

Autbot_Benz
05-30-2017, 12:59 PM
Yeah, get the ol' gang together and I'm there like white on rice.

think of all the Trump stuff animaniacs can do it a gold mine.

CyberCubed
05-30-2017, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't get too excited yet. Look at the Powerpuff girls reboot, Teen Titans Go, etc....I don't expect it to be in line of the original.

plastroncafe
05-30-2017, 01:10 PM
think of all the Trump stuff animaniacs can do it a gold mine.

Eh, low hanging fruit.
I preferred their more subtle stuff.

Autbot_Benz
05-30-2017, 01:13 PM
I hope they don't bring back the Fat Hippos and Rita & Runt I always found those to be boring.

More Goodfeathers Pinky & The Brain & Slappy Squirrel Mindy and Buttons and Chicken Boo please.

Cure
05-30-2017, 02:13 PM
If it's a reboot, I would want them to not use the old cast.

Autbot_Benz
05-30-2017, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't watch the new Animaniacs if they recast it. You can't have animaniacs without Rob Paulsen. Like I said with Steven Spielberg working on it there is a good chance they will get the gang back together

Spike Spiegel
05-30-2017, 03:25 PM
After almost 20 years, I just realized the meaning of those "pay for play contracts" they mention in the theme song.

plastroncafe
05-30-2017, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't watch the new Animaniacs if they recast it. You can't have animaniacs without Rob Paulsen. Like I said with Steven Spielberg working on it there is a good chance they will get the gang back together

Yeah agreed.
And it's not like there isn't interest from McNeil and Hartnell, since they tour the country doing Animaniacs shows.

Jester
05-30-2017, 03:47 PM
https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.118926625.9950/flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg

Autbot_Benz
05-30-2017, 03:50 PM
Yeah agreed.
And it's not like there isn't interest from McNeil and Hartnell, since they tour the country doing Animaniacs shows.

ya I went to a smaller Animaniacs show in 2014 it was Just Rob and Randy Rogel. Rob was super friendly. I know Rob would join the reboot he never gets tired of doing the Yakko songs and Yakko and Pinky voices

plastroncafe
05-30-2017, 03:59 PM
I remain firmly convinced that Rob Paulsen has a secret basement dungeon where he tortures puppies, or something...because no human being is as nice as he is.

Except maybe Mister Rogers.
Both men are just such utter class acts.

Autbot_Benz
05-30-2017, 04:04 PM
I remain firmly convinced that Rob Paulsen has a secret basement dungeon where he tortures puppies, or something...because no human being is as nice as he is.

Except maybe Mister Rogers.
Both men are just such utter class acts.

Funny you say that I like to refer to Rob Paulsen as the Mr Rogers of Voice acting.

Aaronardo
05-30-2017, 04:25 PM
Given that we know Spielberg will return to produce, this could potentially end really well. Samurai Jack's made me very optimistic about cartoon reboots that retain at least some of their original crew. I'm not going to get too excited yet, though, since we're not even entirely sure it'll come to fruition yet.

BubblyShell22
05-30-2017, 04:27 PM
Sounds awesome. I hope they don't just put this on Netflix though and that it's going to air where I can watch it. Would love for the old cast to get back together.

Autbot_Benz
05-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Apparently Rob Paulsen knew nothing about this reboot but seems all for it

Rob Paulsen‏Verified account @yakkopinky 2m2 minutes ago

Rob Paulsen Retweeted IndieWire

Hmm. I know nothing about the reboot but it sure would be a gas, huh?

TurtleTitan97
05-30-2017, 08:41 PM
I sure hope they bring back the original cast. Can't picture Yakko without Rob.

TMNT_Guy
05-30-2017, 09:43 PM
Not only do they need the original cast, but they also need bring back as many people who previously worked on the show as possible. Animaniacs was a group project and is one of those rare times in productions where everything just "clicked" and worked together perfectly. Getting as many of the talented people who worked on the original show back together as humanly possible is important in capturing what made the original series so special in the first place. The old writers had an absurd amount of freedom working on the original show and I hope the writers of this new series get the same amount of flexibility.

The animation is also another concern of mine. I understand that cell animation is obsolete, but if Wabbit and the new Tom and Jerry cartoons are the best they can do with digital and a made for TV budget then we've got a major problem. Animaniacs was one of the most fluid and best animated series ever made so they have some serious shoes to fill. If it's going on a digital service like Netflix, I hope it allows them a bigger budget for the animation. Music is another concern. The original series had a full orchestral score and I hope this new series will have the same. It will certainly be a challenge to capture the feel of the original show's music...especially with the passing of the original series' composer, Richard Stone.

I'm VERY cautiously optimistic.

Allio
05-30-2017, 09:50 PM
Hopefully they will be able to do their adult humor. Would really hate it if it was toned down.

DarkFell
05-31-2017, 12:32 AM
I hope they don't bring back the Fat Hippos and Rita & Runt I always found those to be boring.

More Goodfeathers Pinky & The Brain & Slappy Squirrel Mindy and Buttons and Chicken Boo please.
I don't remember the Fat Hippos all that much, but I would love to see Rita & Runt return. The same goes for Good Idea / Bad Idea and It's Mime Time.

Also, original voice cast please.

BubblyShell22
05-31-2017, 06:48 AM
I sort of remember the hippos, but I would love to see Rita and Runt, Buttons and Mindy, the Goodfeathers, Good Idea/Bad Idea, Slappy and Skippy Squirrel, and Dot's Poetry Corner.

CyberCubed
06-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Heh, after seeing how the Ducktales reboot turned out, among other things, I don't have much hope for this. They'll probably go with modern Teen Titans Go type humor rather than the sophisticated humor Animaniacs was known for.

Sorry guys, the 90's are dead and I don't think they're coming back.

NinjaPug
06-12-2017, 12:51 PM
How did the unaired DuckTales reboot turn out? Surely you're not dumb enough to base your opinion on 30 second shorts to introduce the characters in advance of the premiere.

Cure
06-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Sorry guys, the 90's are dead and I don't think they're coming back.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Time to move the **** on, people.

If the show is good, great! If not, oh well! Grown ass men and women aren't the audience.

Vegita-San
06-12-2017, 12:59 PM
How did the unaired DuckTales reboot turn out? Surely you're not dumb enough to base your opinion on 30 second shorts to introduce the characters in advance of the premiere.

some people can smell a dud a mile a way....if it looks like a duck.. ;o)

Ducktales is a bit odd. I HATE the animation style. I hate some of the voices. and nothing can top disney at it's tV Prime. but I liked the humor in that first time travel short. it might have hope.

but most reboots tend to be miserable. so it's not dumb at all to think future reboots might follow that trend.

plastroncafe
06-12-2017, 01:03 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing. Time to move the **** on, people.

If the show is good, great! If not, oh well! Grown ass men and women aren't the audience.

No no, you don't understand!
Right before the show airs ground forces will be deployed to gather any dvd evidence of the previous incarnation.

Covert operations are already underway to strip every mention and video of previous versions from the internet and streaming services!

IF THIS FAILS TO BE LIGHTNING IN A BOTTLE A SECOND TIME, EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOR NOW AND ALL ETERNITY!!!!

Or...maybe it's just a cartoon that no one will watch.