PDA

View Full Version : Political Chit-Chat

Krutch
05-31-2017, 08:17 AM
There's no way of putting this out there without me coming off as ignorant, and I'm aware of that. But regardless, here goes.

First and foremost, I'm a Canadian who genuinely has no interest in government politics whatsoever (and certainly not American politics). Yet it seems to be "the thing" people need to be up to date with and be heavily invested and opinionated in these days. I can't take it. I can't go a day without someone approaching me about something Trump said, or some kind of bill that's being passed, or anything. And when I tell them I'm not interested, they decide it's time to educate me.

This is more of a post to vent more than anything I guess.

Everyones lives seem to be taken over by this nonsense. And once someone brings it up, people go on and on and on at length about it. Last weekend myself and two friends drove from Toronto out to Montreal for a festival, about a 6 hour drive, 5 of which were them were spent with them debating and discussing American politics. This timeframe is including me attempting to interject and change the conversation. Sure, this is an isolated incident, but I've seen it countless times elsewhere. How about a few days ago at work when I had just heard the news and asked "Hey, you hear about Chris Cornell?" my coworker pops his head up from his computer and deadpans me with "You know we're on the brink of nuclear war, right?"

To be honest, a lot what I hear from people doesn't seem to come from any place of purpose other than to seem educated and relevant.

Look, I get this is important to a lot of people. And it's easy for me to write it off since I don't believe in any of it. But is there anyone out there besides me that's just sick of hearing about this sh*t around every turn?

Stephen
05-31-2017, 08:22 AM
We have a lot of it at the moment, although it's obviously to be expected with an upcoming general election.

Papenbrook
05-31-2017, 10:49 AM
I agree. I am tired of hearing news that relates to Donald Trump (or the Republican party).

Frankly, it stresses me out. People don't need to constantly have reports on him/them. It makes the mainstream media into an echo chamber.

Just make it end already.

plastroncafe
05-31-2017, 11:35 AM
Must be nice to be able to just ignore this sort of thing.
I envy you.

snake
05-31-2017, 11:51 AM
I'm right, you're all wrong.

Cure
05-31-2017, 12:09 PM
I envy you.

Yeah, for real. This **** affects you, American or not.

IndigoErth
05-31-2017, 12:24 PM
As I mentioned in another thread yesterday, I feel like Trump has already been in there for two years, not four months. In four years, if they can't leave us with good health care, at least leave us with a strong psychiatric branch of mental health care, free for all Americans and funded from all the cuts to everything else. We're gonna need it.

I'm surprised some outside this country would want to discuss it so much. Sure, there are things that may affect others as well, but in just casual conversation... blah. Great, we've become the reality show Trump wanted, mixed with Hollywood 'world is ending' drama.

Everyone in the world under a certain age take a new photo now and in four years time we'll compare how prematurely gray everyone's hair has gotten from the stress... lol

Refractive Reflections
05-31-2017, 02:34 PM
If the mainstream media wasn't hysterically reporting about Trump as if the sky's falling everyday, maybe things would be a little more sensible in the nation's political discourse.

For example:
3XhymAIp8os
OpyEKfhikrA
v7GEa7r8Vyk
...Yes, ice cream, stairs, and private family dinners... these stories are considered important journalism for CNN & the MSM.

sdp
05-31-2017, 03:00 PM
I totally agree, things have become more politicized than ever and it's a mix of social media being pretty much on everyone's life as well as most people starting to go further left and right in their political leanings.

The majority of the problem actually started thanks to liberals though and "GamerGate" which turned internet culture which is very liberal into conservatives and internet culture does have a big influece. By abusing the power and moving the agenda further left it made more people move right and the results are what we have.

Now at the end of the day you are right Krutch, no matter who is in power your day to day life is mostly not going to be affected. And this is coming from someone who has likely been affected by a Trump presidency more than anyone here I'm guessing. But things are already run pretty much one way and a single person cannot change everything in most circumstances.

It also seems no one has learned from what happened in the election and the same bickering is going on from both sides. No matter what side you try to debate it falls on deaf ears. People are worst than ever, President Obama had a nice speech about just this on more than one occasion but even liberals choose not to.

What we see around the world is also nothing new but just results and consequences to actions we've taken along the course of history. Globalism is here to stay and there is nothing that can stop it but that doesn't mean that they won't go out screaming. Turmoils around the world are the result of constant intervention in the past and things are very complicated politically so there is no easy way out, sucks but the sins of nations past actions are essentially going to catch up to them.

I like to stay informed on the latest happenings around the world however I really try hard to not engage in them, but like you said it's been harder lately as people have made everything political and in this case I do think it's the left that is mostly responsible with their moronic Politically Correct movement where anyone can whine about anything and get support from others whether it makes sense or not.

Stephen
05-31-2017, 03:38 PM
We have election debates and our Prime Minister doesn't even bother to turn up.
http://www.aol.co.uk/news/2017/05/31/theresa-may-criticised-for-missing-tv-election-debate/

Theresa May's decision to miss a major television debate came under fire after Jeremy Corbyn's surprise decision to take part in the seven-way showdown.

The Prime Minister was understood to be catching up on government business as Home Secretary Amber Rudd was sent out to represent the Tories in the BBC debate.

Ahead of the broadcast Mr Corbyn said the PM's refusal to take part was a "sign of weakness" but Mrs May - who has declined all invitations to head-to-head debates during the General Election campaign - said she wanted to speak directly to voters and answer their questions rather than "squabbling" with other party leaders.

ToTheNines
05-31-2017, 03:46 PM
Yeah, it's crazy how nasty and obsessive people can get about politics. I'm a libertarian, so I can find some common ground with just about anyone, but it's staggering how often family members, acquaintances, strangers or even friends will end up completely blowing up on me and losing their ****.

Which is no way to make allies. And unless you're in a swing state, arguing over who to vote for President is one of the most meaningless things you can do with your time.

Netkeeper
05-31-2017, 03:55 PM
I envy you.
What she said

****** YOUTUBE SPAM
This BS needs to stop, by the way

Krutch
05-31-2017, 04:36 PM
Yeah, for real. This **** affects you, American or not.
I envy you.
If I could ignore this sort of thing, this thread wouldn't exist.

I'm not trying to belittle the issues. I'm not naive to think what happens somewhere else won't have an effect where I live. I'm just saying people seem to be suffocating themselves with this nonsense.

Hey, did you hear Trump misspelled coverage today? If you answered yes, you've proved my point. There's no escape from this crap. Should I not have a say in what I am subjected to on a daily basis?

Papenbrook
05-31-2017, 05:15 PM
So far, 2017 has been like this:

qIxM1-XPza4

By the way, I love the game's soundtrack.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-31-2017, 05:20 PM
If I could ignore this sort of thing, this thread wouldn't exist.

I'm not trying to belittle the issues. I'm not naive to think what happens somewhere else won't have an effect where I live. I'm just saying people seem to be suffocating themselves with this nonsense.

Hey, did you hear Trump misspelled coverage today? If you answered yes, you've proved my point. There's no escape from this crap. Should I not have a say in what I am subjected to on a daily basis?

I fully sympathize. But DON'T you have a say in what you are subjected to on a daily basis?

Unsubscribe from news, stop listening/watching/whatever. Of course, that doesn't help with the coworkers you mentioned but it still goes a long way towards unplugging...

BubblyShell22
05-31-2017, 05:20 PM
I agree with you, Krutch. I have never had an interest in politics and probably never will because it's a waste of time and effort. I think what's so hilarious about this is that people seem to think that anyone we get is supposed to be the perfect President when there is no such thing. I don't agree with everything Trump says and feel he really needs to just stay off of Twitter and accept that not everyone is going to like him. However, I'm not obsessed about it or scrutinizing everything that he does or what the news says. No one is perfect and I just think it's sad that people seem to expect this when they vote for someone when said person isn't always going to come through on whatever promises they make. It just isn't going to happen.

It does affect me, but I just don't care. I'm going to just live life and I don't give a damn what the media says about him or what he does because he's going to do what he wants. Obama was the same way and people didn't seem to care and worshipped him all over the place. He could do no wrong, yet everyone has to be obsessed over what Trump does or says. It's all white noise to me.

Powder
05-31-2017, 05:42 PM
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=56813

Somewhat similar thread I made a while back about the divide this causes among friends/family.

plastroncafe
05-31-2017, 08:15 PM
I fully sympathize. But DON'T you have a say in what you are subjected to on a daily basis?

Unsubscribe from news, stop listening/watching/whatever. Of course, that doesn't help with the coworkers you mentioned but it still goes a long way towards unplugging...

^^^
What they said.

I get it Krutch, the news is annoying and frustrating. There's a reason the flight attendants tell you to put your mask on first before helping other people.

Self care's important. Go carve out a spot for yourself that doesn't discuss that.
It'd be far healthier for you than starting a political thread about how much you hate politics.

With the added bonus of not making it look like you're going out of your way to dismiss the actual political concerns of others.

Krutch
06-01-2017, 06:11 AM
Unsubscribe from news, stop listening/watching/whatever. Of course, that doesn't help with the coworkers you mentioned but it still goes a long way towards unplugging... About three or four weeks after Trump's election win, I popped on my Facebook feed and just saw Trump posts. I said "For the next five minutes, I'm going to scroll down and unsubscribe to feeds that have posted something political." In five minutes, no lie, I unsubscribed to over forty friends. Believe me, I do what I can, but apparently the answer is no on what I'm subjected to. Even on these forums, in a Ninja Turtles thread of all things, what do I see? Pages and pages of Fake Trump quotes :roll:
Somewhat similar thread I made a while back about the divide this causes among friends/family.
Sorry I missed that, but yeah, you get me. Everything is just so oversaturated.
I get it Krutch, the news is annoying and frustrating. There's a reason the flight attendants tell you to put your mask on first before helping other people.

Self care's important. Go carve out a spot for yourself that doesn't discuss that.
It'd be far healthier for you than starting a political thread about how much you hate politics.

With the added bonus of not making it look like you're going out of your way to dismiss the actual political concerns of others.I've said a few times I'm not trying to dismiss or trivialize what's going on; if you feel they're important issues, than they're important issues to you. I'm not trying to stake a claim and say things are going to be alright, or one half of the argument is more important than the other. I haven't even mentioned my political beliefs. This thread was intended to be the spot I carved out to vent my frustrations (as I've said) about people's unhealthy obsession and attitudes towards these matters, not the matters themselves. And how alot of the time it comes off as just a trendy thing to be up to date on.

Look, a lot of it just has to do with the type of person I am, and I get that :P I grew annoyed with all the Toronto Blue Jays chatter around the city mainly because I hadn't heard a peep about them since '93, then they play one half decent season and suddenly everyone is all decked out in Blue Jays gear talking about each game like they've been die hard fans their whole life. I try to avoid it, but then when I go to a concert the lead singer starts a "Let's go Blue Jays" chant. This season they aren't so hot, and what don't I see or hear anywhere? Blue Jays. What happened to all those die hard fans? It was just the thing to do that summer, much like the attitude I'm jiving off 9/10 people discussing politics. It's just trendy; nobody actually gives a damn. It's trendy to be opinionated and to be able to, no pun intended, trump anyone who has an opposing opinion.

I know, I know. I can come off as a grouch with this stuff. I'm just over it. When I tell someone I'm not interested in hearing it, and they insist on giving me some condescending lecture on how important this and that is... I just want to smack'em. It's been months of me constantly telling you "I have no interested in this." So why, oh why, do you insist in finding me in the kitchen to tell me about the latest bill that's being passed in another country?

Sorry. It's 8:12am, been in the office for less than 45 minutes and I've already been updated by two coworkers on the latest Trump shenanigans. This is probably the source of where my need to vent comes from.

plastroncafe
06-01-2017, 10:38 AM
I just want to make this clear, the politics free zone that you are carving out for yourself directly addresses how you find other people's reaction to politics unhealthy, but you don't want them to feel as though you are dismissing their concerns.

Krutch
06-01-2017, 12:31 PM
I'm addressing the condescending Jehovah's Witnesses-like behaviour associated with people "into" politics, not the politics themselves, yes :lol:

Rereading what I said, I think Powder explained it better in his thread... :P

Netkeeper
06-01-2017, 12:51 PM
It's kind of amazing that you don't see the dickishness here

Let me tell you one thing, and that one thing is that I'd rather risk getting arrested for public urination than use a public toilet

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-01-2017, 12:52 PM
I'm addressing the condescending Jehovah's Witnesses-like behaviour associated with people "into" politics, not the politics themselves, yes :lol:

Rereading what I said, I think Powder explained it better in his thread... :P

Do they show up on your doorstep in pairs? :twink:

CyberCubed
06-01-2017, 12:58 PM
First and foremost, I'm a Canadian who genuinely has no interest in government politics whatsoever (and certainly not American politics).

Yeah, this is what I don't get. Why do other countries like Canada, Mexico, the UK, etc. have so much talk about Trump?

People are talking as if Trump is the president of planet Earth, rather than the president of just one country. As you said, Krutch, you're Canadian, so why do they talk about American politics so much in your country?

Candy Kappa
06-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Yeah, this is what I don't get. Why do other countries like Canada, Mexico, the UK, etc. have so much talk about Trump?

Cause, he's the President of 'MURICA World Police with Nukes. And Donald is a giant joke, of course foreign newspapers and channels are gonna report on him, we need to laugh a bit in this shitfest.

plastroncafe
06-01-2017, 01:03 PM
You mean aside from the fact that both Canada and Mexico share a border with us, and that things like explosions don't tend to just magically stop at geo-political lines?

The UK is a big time ally of ours.
It's like we're living in that They Might Be Giants song, "Racist Friend."

BubblyShell22
06-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Because people have nothing better to do than to waste time on it. Hell, everyone was so obsessed over a freakin' typo he made on Twitter as if it's relevant in some way when it isn't. He made a mistake. Who cares? I tend to do it a lot on this keyboard, but I make sure to correct my mistakes before posting. And then people in another thread were joking about him having a stroke and dying which I feel is in poor taste ot be honest. You don't have to like the guy or what he says, but joking about something like that is not the best thing to do.

CyberCubed
06-01-2017, 01:06 PM
But even other countries across the ocean like China and Japan are constantly commenting on Trump, not even going to touch Russia since they have ties with him. I couldn't tell you who the leaders of most of the other countries of the world are, yet every other country knows who the president of the U.S. is.

BubblyShell22
06-01-2017, 01:08 PM
That's because they have to because the U.S. deals with all of the countries all over the world at some point. So it makes sense that they would know who our President is if they have to deal with him.

plastroncafe
06-01-2017, 01:09 PM
Imagine the world is high school party.
The biggest jock on the football team just arrived, and he's tanked.
It doesn't matter where you are at the party, chances are good you're going to be affected by his behavior.

That's the US, regardless of who's in the Oval Office.

Netkeeper
06-01-2017, 01:13 PM
This thread [and anything that talks about Rump at all, really] becomes infinitely more entertaining when you have a browser extension that replaces any word you want with any other word you want. This is why I don't quote some posts because it changes my quotes and I'm almost SURE I'll forget about it one day

But hey maybe this add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/foxreplace/) might be of help to you Krutch, you can change political words into whatever

Wesley
06-01-2017, 03:55 PM
Yeah, this is what I don't get. Why do other countries like Canada, Mexico, the UK, etc. have so much talk about Trump

I don't get why we talk so much about Trump in the Irish media either. Maybe it's because we have a special relationship with the US?

ProactiveMan
06-02-2017, 03:49 AM
It's not a big mystery. The USA is a big economy, a lot of countries trade with the US, and Trump was elected on an isolationist platform. Everything he says and does is interesting because it could have an impact on us in the long term.

It's true, we can't do anything about US politics directly, but we have to pay attention so at least we can let our policy makers know what we want them to do in response.

It's not wise to worry obsessively about things you have no control over, but you should still keep your eyes open.

Krutch
06-02-2017, 06:09 AM
It's kind of amazing that you don't see the dickishness here*shrugs* I guess. For what it's worth, I find it more dickish to go out of your way to enforce your political views on people after they've repeatedly told you not to than it is to open a tiny thread to vent your frustrations in a dark corner of the internet. But hey, to each their own.

As you said, Krutch, you're Canadian, so why do they talk about American politics so much in your country?They're our closest neighbour, and whatever happens over there will generally effect us in some way. But to follow every little step the US takes before our own government? I think there's just a certain larger scope when talking about USA politics than Canadian. It's like talking WWE instead of TNA. That's my guess, anyways. Again, I don't talk about it at all :lol:

BubblyShell22
06-02-2017, 11:48 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with venting your frustrations about politics and people trying to get you to talk about them when you have no interest in it. That would frustrate me to no end if it happened to me like that.

Powder
06-02-2017, 04:07 PM
There is nothing wrong with this thread whatsoever.

Prowler
06-08-2017, 01:50 AM
I think it's safe to say most people don't exactly like politics and would love to ignore them, but that's not really possible since politics affect you directly or indirectly.

You know, Krutch, when I was a kid I also hated politics and hated sitting through the news at dinner time every night with my parents and my brother. I didn't like my older relatives taking control of the remote and not letting me watch cartoons or play games during 8 o'clock news. I didn't understand politics and thought it was just boring old men talking.

Well, then I started getting older and I began understanding my mother saying "I wish I didn't have to take any interest in politics as well, son, but we have to whether we like it or not". Now, to be honest, I like reading about the world in general, so I don't mind reading an article or watching the news about something that happened in Japan or India, while I'm sure most people have no idea what goes on in those countries on a political level. I find it very important to be up to date with what's happening in European countries since my country is a member of the EU.

As for voting, well I've abstained a couple of times, not gonna lie. Not proud of it, but I did have a phase where I thought voting was pointless and that "they're all the same!"... well yes and no, but that's another story. My country has very high abstention rates, usually around 40-45 percent. Some of the highest ones in Europe. If we stopped electing the same guys over and over again things would change, not necessarily for the best, mind you, and I don't really know many good alternatives.

As for political arguments with acquaintances and relatives... well I don't get that much, tbh. Maybe because i'm still young(I'm 26 years old) and people around my age don't consider politics a top 3 priority in their lives yet. If anything we might discuss world affairs, but those discussions tend to be peaceful and quite interesting. Now as for talking about domestic politics... you gotta thread carefully. Especially if you're talking to an older person. Some old people take politics very seriously. My uncle once stopped going to a certain shop because he realised the owner voted for the political party that rivals his, per example :lol:. I'd never do that and don't really know what political parties or ideologies my acquaintances identify with.

There's two subjects in my country where you gotta thread carefully: football(soccer) and politics. If the person you're talking to is on your side, it's the best conversation ever; but if not then either swallow your pride and try yo change the subject or be diplomatic about it or engage him/her in a long arduous argument... and I find that a waste of time and a needless way to get upset/anxious with somebody else.

Seriously, political discussion is the last ice breaker one should use, imo. Also, it's kinda hilarious how so many people claim to be political experts, especially people aged 18-25 who barely have any work experience, if any at all. They think they know how the world works :lol:

But even other countries across the ocean like China and Japan are constantly commenting on Trump, not even going to touch Russia since they have ties with him. I couldn't tell you who the leaders of most of the other countries of the world are, yet every other country knows who the president of the U.S. is.
You can't be this clueless, man.

Also, certain things are more covered in certain parts of the world than in yours. In Europe pretty much everyone knows who the president and the chancellor of France and Germany are, respectively, per example. But most of us couldn't tell you who Japan's prime minister is, while I'm sure South Koreans could tell you that more easily.