PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] No more comic book piracy

***First of Two Latin Kings***
06-01-2017, 08:50 AM
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?p=1687056&posted=1#post1687056

I would imagine this has simply gone un-noticed. Otherwise, it would be kinda hypocritical to not allow illegal downloads or streaming links to episodes but allow advertisements for bootleg comic books, no?

This is in fan-works discussion no less.

ToTheNines
06-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Downloads are not allowed because all movies and episodes are available for legal purchase. Volume 4 #29 is not available from Viacom, Mirage or anyone else (except... ya know the free scans of it online where Nortock got it in the first place), even though people have been begging for years. No sign of it on the reprint schedule either. Or reason to expect it in the near future.

***First of Two Latin Kings***
06-01-2017, 10:05 AM
If that's the case, than MrMacZaps needs a warning ban for trolling/unnecessary disrespectful comments, etc.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-01-2017, 10:12 AM
It's not 'hypocritical', it's potentially contradictory. And mrmaczaps isn't trolling; it's not like you have a clue either whether this constitutes as rule-breaking or not.

plastroncafe
06-01-2017, 10:48 AM
I don't know I think the point is fair. It is a literally pirated work being advertised on a forum that's supposed to be anti pirated material.

ToTheNines
06-01-2017, 10:50 AM
If that's the case, than MrMacZaps needs a warning ban for trolling/unnecessary disrespectful comments, etc.

He's not trolling. He really is that much of a miserable prick. He can't help it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-01-2017, 10:50 AM
The 'Drome controversy that will not die...

plastroncafe
06-01-2017, 11:42 AM
He's not trolling. He really is that much of a miserable prick. He can't help it.

These two things are not mutually exclusive.

Netkeeper
06-01-2017, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't know about the zap guy, I've got him on ignore :lol:

But what I do know is that it's horrendously dickish to go after someone that is just trying to make a comic book more accessible to the people that want it.

ToTheNines
06-01-2017, 12:31 PM

To me, trolling is when you're being intentionally thick/mean, or shitposting, even though you know better. Solely doing it to get a rise out of people.

This guy's default is human dumpster fire.

plastroncafe
06-01-2017, 12:40 PM
To me, trolling is when you're being intentionally thick/mean, or shitposting, even though you know better. Solely doing it to get a rise out of people.

This guy's default is human dumpster fire.

Yeah, but they're self-aware and persist.
So it is intentional.

Candy Kappa
06-01-2017, 12:43 PM
I'm not a fan of the counterfeiting of #29, I think it's pretty ****** to bring it on the 'Drome. It may not be the bootleggers intention, but where do we draw the line if we allow piracy on the forums?

Open up for torrents? Be okay with other hard-to-find valuable comics being counterfeited? Be okay for the bootlegger to start charging a bit extra to get a little income? Be okay to remove the "fanprint" label?

Eventually if this festers on, we might end up getting legits and counterfeits mixed and people pay legit prices and gets a bootleg on second hand marked. And, it doesn't fill your gap in the collection, it's still a counterfeit comic.

Netkeeper
06-01-2017, 12:55 PM
As long as it's clearly indicated that it's a fan print there should be absolutely 0 problem with it

People can give their money to a "bootleg" if that's what they want to give their damn money to

Candy Kappa
06-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Sure, people can spend whatever they want with their money, but maybe keep their illegal activities off the 'Drome, no matter how insignificant the counterfeited item is in the grand scheme, it's still a counterfeit.

Just look how divided the BJD community is after the whole recast/bootleg crap. It starts small and then escalades.

plastroncafe
06-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Bootlegs are still piracy.
Offering the 'Drome as a place to deal in pirated materials put the 'Drome on the hook should Nick suddenly go hunting for pirates.

It's just...rude, at the very least.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-01-2017, 01:12 PM
Bootlegs are still piracy.
Offering the 'Drome as a place to deal in pirated materials put the 'Drome on the hook should Nick suddenly go hunting for pirates.

It's just...rude, at the very least.

We need the East India Trading Company to come in and clean house on these filthy pirates.

Cure
06-01-2017, 01:16 PM
I also think this can be problematic for the forums, but I'm not a lawyer so what do I know.

Netkeeper
06-01-2017, 01:17 PM
Well I don't agree, I think the guy is perfectly fine to sell a reprint that's clearly intended as such

I also don't think we need an anti-torrent/download link rule either though, let people enjoy stuff.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-01-2017, 01:20 PM
Well I don't agree, I think the guy is perfectly fine to sell a reprint that's clearly intended as such

I also don't think we need an anti-torrent/download link rule either though, let people enjoy stuff.

Oooooooooooh boy.

"Goodbye Technodrome Forums." That's what that means.

ProphetofGanja
06-01-2017, 01:24 PM
Frankly I don't see why there is any buying/selling done on this site. The internet is a vast place, people can arrange sales and download whatever they desire on sites that are intended for such. I like coming here to talk about TMNT or other random things

ToTheNines
06-01-2017, 01:25 PM
Open up for torrents? Be okay with other hard-to-find valuable comics being counterfeited? Be okay for the bootlegger to start charging a bit extra to get a little income? Be okay to remove the "fanprint" label?

To be clear, the member in question did none of that.

As long as it's clearly indicated that it's a fan print there should be absolutely 0 problem with it

People can give their money to a "bootleg" if that's what they want to give their damn money to

Also, I've given Mirage and Viacom a ****ing LOT of money over the years. I missed out on #29 when I was a 16 year old upstart comic collector that didn't have 15 bucks to spend on one issue that was already free online.

I also don't currently have the $1000+ it would take to score an actual copy. I'll just call it even.

plastroncafe
06-01-2017, 01:27 PM
What you think is fine might not be what the copyright holder thinks is fine.
Bootlegged/Pirated stuff is illegal. Nick/Viacom would be well within their rights to come down hard on such a thing.

Is it probable that they will? Nah.
But it is possible.

And this is Krang's space, so the only one who should be making the distinction of what is/isn't okay for this space is them.

I don't have an issue with piracy, especially when folks are above board with their understanding of it.
(I wanted this thing, so I got this thing. How I got it was illegal.)

I have an issue with the entitlement that often comes from folks who enjoy pirated things.
(I wanted this thing, so I got this thing...because I am owed this thing.)

Candy Kappa
06-01-2017, 01:41 PM
To be clear, the member in question did none of that

I know, it was additions to my question in the same post; where's the line. It may not be the #29 bootleggers intention, but if we allow this to be a thing on the forum, what happens when other bootleggers do those things?

Those things have happened in other fandoms, heck there are people that bought NECA Mirage Turtles in good faith that they where legit and got fakes instead.

Netkeeper
06-01-2017, 03:16 PM
Let's deal with that if it ever happens instead of cracking down unnecessarily hard on one dude

That is hardly fair

mrmaczaps
06-01-2017, 08:57 PM

I'm not trolling anyone... and I actually messaged Krang about the page rules about illegal works but Krang ks MIA..

And my username isn't that difficult to spell right:MrMaczaps. Mr cuz I'm male Maczaps is Spazcam backwards. Pronounced MACzaps.

mrmaczaps
06-01-2017, 08:58 PM

Big surprise from you and zipperhead.

mrmaczaps
06-01-2017, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't know about the zap guy, I've got him on ignore :lol:

But what I do know is that it's horrendously dickish to go after someone that is just trying to make a comic book more accessible to the people that want it.

Also horrendously illegal. But criminals are a thickheaded lot.

ToTheNines
06-07-2017, 04:54 PM
Big surprise from you and zipperhead.

I am unaware of anyone here being from Korea or not, but I'd edit that post if I were you, piece of sh*t.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-07-2017, 04:59 PM
I am unaware of anyone here being from Korea or not, but I'd edit that post if I were you, piece of sh*t.

I've never even heard of that epithet before.

Mrmadcaps is certainly educating us, isn't he?

ToTheNines
06-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Go watch Gran Torino lol.

TurtleWA
06-07-2017, 05:11 PM
So this is acceptable http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=15891 but not comics? I am a novice when it comes to such things but don't see a big difference except one is words and pictures and one is plastic. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking the drome is more accepting of bootleg toys. Shouldn't it be equal when it comes to what we tolerate as an online community?

ToTheNines
06-07-2017, 05:18 PM
So this is acceptable http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=15891 but not comics? I am a novice when it comes to such things but don't see a big difference except one is words and pictures and one is plastic. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking the drome is more accepting of bootleg toys. Shouldn't it be equal when it comes to what we tolerate as an online community?

An excellent point. MrCuckZaps and others are just virtue signaling because they already own the extremely rare item in question. They'd be on the fan print like Laird on a Segway if they didn't already own #29.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-07-2017, 07:00 PM
An excellent point. MrCuckZaps and others are just virtue signaling because they already own the extremely rare item in question. They'd be on the fan print like Laird on a Segway if they didn't already own #29.

Laird on a Segway. :tlol: :tlol: :tlol: :tlol:

Machias Banshee
06-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Okay, enough of the crap slinging and name calling.

Per the rules... Krang does not want any pirated material on the forums. Movies, episodes, comics, music... nothing.

We have been contacted by Viacom in the past. They will not hesitate to shut things down if it gets out of hand.