PDA

View Full Version : Pet turtle help

ToTheNines
06-01-2017, 05:48 PM
So last August I dug out a hole, threw down a pond liner, bought an expensive filter, installed a little fence and moved my two Red Ear Sliders outside. It went great for a couple weeks, but one day in early September my smaller turtle Kirby was missing. No sign of escape, or struggle. Turned the yard upside down, asked all the neighbors. Nothing.

So today, 9 months later, there's a little turtle covered in dirt walking across the yard! Alive and well!

We got him a new tank, filter, light and everything since he's so skinny and week (and Spike has grown so much being on his own). I'm mainly just asking what's the best way to go about his diet. He doesn't seem to want to eat anything. I know Candy and a couple other turtle experts will no what to do. Thanks!

DestronMirage22
06-01-2017, 06:30 PM
You could try to see if he'll eat any worms or other insects. Those usually work for me when my guys are being stubborn. They'll refuse pellets or fruits/vegetables but a good bug'll open up their appetites.

Andrew NDB
06-01-2017, 07:18 PM
There's drops you can get to encourage appetite. Just make sure UV lights for day and UV night lights too. Place to bask.

Katie
06-01-2017, 08:06 PM
Vitamin B is an appetite stimulant. Always worked for my guys.

Also, UVA and UVB lighting and warm clean water with a good haul out area under the lights.

Try some feeder goldfish, bloodworms, and crickets that have been fed a good quality veggie diet.

Candy Kappa
06-02-2017, 04:33 AM
RES are incredible climbers, goes straight up chicken fences and with some trial and error they will manage to find a way to get over a regular fence. I've also had mine almost escape their outdoor area by climbing a small pine trees that are bush sized, it was close to the fence and the branches was close enough together that the turtle managed to scale it to the top.

As for feeding a non-eating turtle. RES can stop eating for days if they don't like what you serve them. The previous owners of my 2 RES girls fed them minced beef for years, and it was a struggle to make then used to more varied food.

Proper UV lights help with feeding behavior, and he's probably been through a rough time and are now in a new enclosememt, which is a stressful moment. So he might just need a couple of days to settle in.

To entice his appetite, try some cooked chicken (boiling it works fine), or some live feeding fish (guppies or rosy minnows) if that's legal where you live. Or boiled egg whites or tuna. You can also try salmon but mine gets diarrhea of salmon so I'm a bit sceptical of it. You can aslo used pinhead crickets, canned or live.

If he won't eat, try to have some of the food stay there for a few hours, he might eat it at a later point. Just don't forget it overnight.

ToTheNines
06-02-2017, 06:41 AM
Thanks y'all. I appreciate it.

At what point do I call the vet if he won't eat anything?

Candy Kappa
06-02-2017, 06:48 AM
A general check-up wouldn't hurt if he's been gone for 9 months. But if his eyes, skin and shell looks fine, getting him to eat again is probably enough.