PDA

View Full Version : Dan Akyord Critizes Paul Feig blames him for the failure of the Ghostbuster reboot

Autbot_Benz
06-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Ghostbusters was neither a critical nor commercial hit last year, so it was far from surprising when we learned that a sequel isn't on the way. The performance of the movie has also ruined any chances of those planned spinoffs happening too, one of which was reportedly going to feature a male team and another that would have been animated and seemingly aimed at a slightly younger audience.

It's no wonder then that executive producer Dan Akroyd - who was one of those tasked with spearheading a shared Ghostbusters Universe - isn't happy then, something he made clear in a recent interview on UK TV show Sunday Brunch. Asked to share his thoughts on what's next for the franchise, the star and co-writer of the original laid the blame squarely at the feet of reboot director Paul Feig.

"[Ghostbusters] made a lot of money around the world but just cost too much, making it economically not feasible to do another one. So that’s too bad. The director, he spent too much on it. He didn’t shoot scenes we suggested to him and several scenes that were going to be needed and he said, ‘Nah, we don’t need them.’ Then we tested the movie and they needed them and he had to go back. About $30 to $40-million in reshoots. So he will not be back on the Sony lot any time soon."

Ouch! Interestingly, subsequent broadcasts of the show have seen Akroyd's comments edited out, a result perhaps of his representatives requesting that they be removed given how much of a stir they're inevitably going to cause. The damage has been done now, though, and it will be interesting to see what happens next. In fairness to Akroyd, it doesn't sound like he's being too unfair! Thoughts?

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/horror/dan-aykroyd-slams-ghostbusters-director-paul-feig-he-will-not-be-back-on-the-sony-lot-any-time-soon-a151580

Andrew NDB
06-04-2017, 05:30 PM
I wonder what the reshoots were.

Shark_Blade
06-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Yeah it could've been better though I still find it mildly entertaining.

THGhost
06-04-2017, 07:59 PM
And there I was thinking it was more the writing and the marketing that were to blame. Dayum.

raph27
06-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Yikes. Wasn't Dan one of the most vocal supporters of this back when it came out? Almost makes one wonder if he was paid off. (I had my suspicions about Hudson last year, and now things are just seeming really shady.)

Wildcat
06-04-2017, 10:33 PM
I wonder what the least amount of money could have been to make it.

sdp
06-05-2017, 12:12 AM
Ghostbusters is one of his greatest achievements, of course he's going to shill for it and is only backtracking now because it's what would get him the most support. I don't judge him for it but it's pretty obvious why he would do it.

I half watched this movie while on a plane and it's nothing special but boy is it not the worst pile of crap ever made like people online made it out to be. Poor planning, if it had been a new generation of GBs instead of a reboot I don't think it would've gotten anywhere near the hate that it got in the end.

Andrew NDB
06-05-2017, 12:19 AM
Ghostbusters is one of his greatest achievements, of course he's going to shill for it and is only backtracking now because it's what would get him the most support.

What are you talking about? He's been the one guy pushing for GB3 for like 20 years now. He's the only one of those cats that's actually talking straight up now and you want to call him out on it?

Wildcat
06-05-2017, 12:42 AM
Well he's not backtracking. I'm seeing people are trying to twist his words to say he dislikes the movie. As if we can't see the actual video. He's upset Feig wasted money.

I agree connecting it to the originals would have helped. That was my only complaint because it would have been very easy to do.

Vegita-San
06-05-2017, 02:13 AM
Yikes. Wasn't Dan one of the most vocal supporters of this back when it came out? Almost makes one wonder if he was paid off. (I had my suspicions about Hudson last year, and now things are just seeming really shady.)

Hudson was muzzled. his honest tweet that this was abad idea was replaced almost instantly with a pre written sony agenda one. it was sadly hillarious.

the way this article states, i was expecting dan to come out and apologize for how he acted, and truly blasting feig for being horrible.

this was nothing harsh. although maybe all he might be wiling to admit.

Vegita-San
06-05-2017, 02:15 AM
What are you talking about? He's been the one guy pushing for GB3 for like 20 years now. He's the only one of those cats that's actually talking straight up now and you want to call him out on it?

he's back tracking.

pure and simple.

Dan did a COMPLETE 180 if you read the sony emails and totally shilled for it.
true, it's his baby, but he went too far with it and went into feig territory.

Hudson, and the rest of the cast apart from murray CLEARLY hated the idea. even annie potts.

Wildcat
06-05-2017, 03:57 AM
It's funny that people like to bring up the leaked emails. Because every time they're re-described totally out of context.

In short Sony did not want to do Ivan Reitman's GB3 idea. They eventually convinced him to step down and wrote that letter for him. In the deal they agreed to create GhostCorps.

Dan Aykroyd never appears to be outright against the movie (or shilling) in any email I've seen. There's one that says he was "tweeked", I assume because it's a reboot and not a sequel, but decided to go along.

Bill Murray was not legally forced to join. There was a rumor that Sony made a loophole that he could only refuse limited times before his rights got voided.

Keep in mind this was like 2 years before the reboot. There was multiple ideas and probably scripts (one did leak). There's a summary available if you google it.

This is the best compilation of GB emails. I read these a couple years ago.
http://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39324

Vegita-San
06-05-2017, 05:49 AM
i wouldn't trust anything from GBFans if you paid me.

that's a fan boys paradise of Feigbuster Apologists.
anyone who doesn't agree with that viewpoint gets shut up pretty fast.

rather sad.

Autbot_Benz
06-05-2017, 10:43 AM

rather sad.

Ghostbustersnews.com is just as bad they never post anything that could be seen as negative and there are a lot of feigbuster apologists there too

Vegita-San
06-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Proton charging is also hillariously sad.

the dude claims to be open minded, then blasts just about everyone who doesn't like the movie, and then only recinds it when he gets caught trashing a lady who disliked it. the comic book girl trashing post got removed hilariously fast ;o)

sad. i rather enjoyed that site before the dark times.

Andrew NDB
06-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Aykroyd posted this on his FB four hours ago:

"Paul Feig made a good movie and had a superb cast and plenty of money to do it. We just wish he had been more inclusive to the originators. It cost everyone as it is unlikely Kristen, Leslie, Melissa and Kate will ever reprise their roles as Ghostbusters which is sad."

Spike Spiegel
06-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Aykroyd posted this on his FB four hours ago:

"Paul Feig made a good movie and had a superb cast and plenty of money to do it. We just wish he had been more inclusive to the originators. It cost everyone as it is unlikely Kristen, Leslie, Melissa and Kate will ever reprise their roles as Ghostbusters which is sad."

In retrospect, they had a good cast and great new weapon designs, along with the money and tech to do things on-screen they would have only dreamed of in the '80s.

All they were really missing was a script...and a legitimately scary villain. They were never going to eclipse the original, but the characters are so bland and unlikable that I can't even see ATC as a guilty pleasure or a cult film.

Vegita-San
06-05-2017, 03:23 PM
aykroyd is such a cheerleader, they probably brain washed him into thinking this was a good idea. the b rain washing is slowly beginning to wear off, and the pre feig, gb 3 gung ho dan is starting to re emerge.

Autbot_Benz
06-05-2017, 05:16 PM
That reaction you have when fiegbusters 2 Probably won't happen

http://i.imgur.com/dvBCtOV.gif

Andrew NDB
06-05-2017, 05:29 PM
That reaction you have when fiegbusters 2 Probably won't happen

It's not even a "probably." It's "no chance in Hell," but we knew that already.

In retrospect, they had a good cast and great new weapon designs, along with the money and tech to do things on-screen they would have only dreamed of in the '80s.

All they were really missing was a script...and a legitimately scary villain.

You mean this guy wasn't scary?

http://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/limbos-short.jpg?w=780

Vegita-San
06-05-2017, 05:57 PM
i'm surprised they even let aykroyd post on his FB page. i think they had his people delete the last two posts.and i think one was still wishing for a gb 3.

ToTheNines
06-05-2017, 06:33 PM
It made peanuts, didn't move merch and Sony is letting IDW integrate the characters into their universe (which has been awesome). Pretty obvious there would never be a sequel.

Vegita-San
06-05-2017, 06:37 PM
against my better judgment, i bought 101 1 and 2.

it feels like two different stories and the feigbusters are add ons..

the stand alone story about the regular ghostbusters is awesome as always. even idw can't make the feigbusters likeable as it's filled with the same drab attempts at insulting 'humor'.

ToTheNines
06-05-2017, 06:59 PM
It's a 6 parter, and I felt like they dawdled with the first 2 issues, but the 2 teams finally met in #3. I think it's great. Hopefully this isn't the last volume they run.

Wildcat
06-05-2017, 10:16 PM

rather sad.I agree the fan forums for GB are pretty bad. I used one many years ago but the emails posted are the actual leaked emails. Theres no disputing those links. They're direct to Wikileaks.

Xav
06-05-2017, 11:24 PM
It made peanuts, didn't move merch and Sony is letting IDW integrate the characters into their universe (which has been awesome).230 million dollars is peanuts?

Andrew NDB
06-06-2017, 01:19 AM
230 million dollars is peanuts?

ToTheNines is actually being overly charitable. GB remake lost a ton of money. About 30 million, as I recall. Probably more. Not factoring for DVD/blu-ray/on-demand kind of money, but that's not going to (and didn't) right the ship.

Wildcat
06-06-2017, 02:27 AM
I was thinking and even though the movie underperformed it's already made back its budget and more so. Why is Dan saying this now?

Sony released a statement that reshoots were only around $4 million. The $30-40 that Dan said did sound pretty outrageous. That'd would mean the budget was around $100 and everything else was just reshoots.

I feel like he's probably more upset with how Feig handled things. He said he didn't take advice. Maybe he just wanted to get it off his chest. I don't have a problem with that. I think he's always been upset it was not a part 3.

I still don't see how doing another movie is "economically not feasible". Not in the the immediate future but a little further down the line there's bound to be another GB. It can't be 20+ years again :lol:

ToTheNines
06-06-2017, 04:26 AM
230 million dollars is peanuts?

Shut up, dumbass.

Vegita-San
06-06-2017, 09:41 AM
i'm ashamed it even made that much. die hard ghostbuster fans must have alot of free time on their hands because no one else was seeing the movie after the first two weeks.

Xav
06-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Shut up, dumbass.What the hell is your problem?

Andrew NDB
06-07-2017, 04:11 PM
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3440784/tomorrow-ghostbusters-day-paul-feig-unveiling-something-fun/

I wonder what is being revealed tomorrow? Is he unveiling the technology to erase Ghosbusters 2016 from history? That would be nice.

Vegita-San
06-07-2017, 06:41 PM
hy the hell is feig still being associated with the brand if he's barred from the sony lot?

sigh..

Autbot_Benz
06-07-2017, 07:54 PM
I am surprised they are letting Paul Fieg do anything ghostbuster related after the failure of his movie.

Spike Spiegel
06-07-2017, 08:31 PM
I sure wish he was unveiling the extended cut of the '84 film (a bunch of lost footage has recently been found, including more Bill Murray stuff and a sequence with Ray and Winston that was used for the "ghost blowjob" joke in the montage).

TheSkeletonMan939
06-07-2017, 08:48 PM
I sure wish he was unveiling the extended cut of the '84 film (a bunch of lost footage has recently been found, including more Bill Murray stuff and a sequence with Ray and Winston that was used for the "ghost blowjob" joke in the montage).

That's probably not a good thing to put out right after the new one failed. Give it a few years though; maybe we'll get something.

ProactiveMan
06-08-2017, 03:21 AM

Leave it out. The first DVD release had a load of deleted scenes on it and believe me, they were cut out for a reason.

TigerClaw
06-08-2017, 10:22 AM
They are doing a live Q&A with Ernie Hudson and Ivan Reitman on Facebook Live, and then they will premiere a trailer for Ghostbusters VR Act 2: Showdown
https://twitter.com/Ghostbusters/status/872845684621193216

Tune in TODAY at 11am PST on the Super News Live Facebook page for a live Q&A! You don’t want to miss it! #GhostbustersLive #Ghostbusters

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBqOr0_UQAAjpW1.jpg:small

Andrew NDB
06-08-2017, 11:02 AM
wtf is "Ghostbusters VR Act 2"? And I'm assuming none of this has anything to do with what Feig alluded to?

TigerClaw
06-08-2017, 11:14 AM
wtf is "Ghostbusters VR Act 2"? And I'm assuming none of this has anything to do with what Feig alluded to?
I think it is.

Andrew NDB
06-08-2017, 12:41 PM
I think it is.

But Feig said HE would unveil it. He's not the one that unveiled that stuff, is he?

TigerClaw
06-08-2017, 12:45 PM
But Feig said HE would unveil it. He's not the one that unveiled that stuff, is he?
It was that live Q&A
https://twitter.com/paulfeig/status/872878306579709952

Here's the video to the Q&A
https://www.facebook.com/SuperNewsLive/videos/1322713251111144/

Autbot_Benz
06-08-2017, 02:00 PM
Looks like Paul Fieg's reveal was a poster with the ladybusters on it

https://twitter.com/paulfeig/status/872839435863195649

Andrew NDB
06-08-2017, 02:03 PM

:ohwell: :-?

Vegita-San
06-08-2017, 02:14 PM

all those sad people sucking up to feig on twitter.

What DO people see in his lame attempts at comedy?

TigerClaw
06-08-2017, 02:24 PM

Yep!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBzy1FwVwAI6xA6.jpg

TheSkeletonMan939
06-08-2017, 02:39 PM

That was it? :tshifty:

Andrew NDB
06-08-2017, 02:39 PM
So a year after destroying the Ghostbusters franchise with his all-female Ghostbusters reboot movie, alienating the entire fandom and nearly bankrupting Sony in the process to boot... Feig's gift to the fandom a year later is a new poster of his all-female Ghostbusters movie?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/10/Chris-Rock-HUH-WTF.gif

Vegita-San
06-08-2017, 02:48 PM
So a year after destroying the Ghostbusters franchise with his all-female Ghostbusters reboot movie, alienating the entire fandom and nearly bankrupting Sony in the process to boot... Feig's gift to the fandom a year later is a new poster of his all-female Ghostbusters movie?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/10/Chris-Rock-HUH-WTF.gif

i need this framed. it sums up the last year perfectly. and why no one should ever spend money or support this thing. the fact that it made $230 million is just sad.

Vegita-San
06-08-2017, 07:57 PM
watching a little of the facebook live.

Ivan looks like he wants to walk right out that wall behind him and escape the groan inducing embarrassment of the clueless host who doesn't even know he produced the show. is the guy even a fan?

ernie looks like he's trying not to fall asleep too.

Powder
06-08-2017, 08:20 PM
Ernie now has a part on Twin Peaks, which is worth watching. So at least that's one modern semi-paranormal viewing experience of his worth watching. :trazz:

Andrew NDB
06-08-2017, 08:26 PM
i need this framed. it sums up the last year perfectly. and why no one should ever spend money or support this thing. the fact that it made $230 million is just sad.

It's definitely worth watching... once. Not in the theater though.

Autbot_Benz
06-08-2017, 08:30 PM
It's definitely worth watching... once. Not in the theater though.
I watched it through questionable means when it was in theaters. I then spent the money I saved not seeing it in theaters on a good female lead movie Wonder Woman :lol:

MikeandRaph87
06-08-2017, 08:43 PM
The best surprise that Feig could give us is an added end credits scene which depicts Peter Venkman waking up and saying, " That is the last time I eat Pringles just before going to bed".

Autbot_Benz
06-09-2017, 12:00 PM
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3441158/ivan-reitman-wants-connect-original-remake-ghostbusters-worlds/

Ivan Reitman wants to connect the Orginal and remake ghostbuster worlds.
During a Facebook live Q&A for yesterday’s “Ghostbusters Day,” franchise producer Reitman teased potential future plans.

“We’re doing a lot of work about where do we go next with Ghostbusters,” said Reitman. “I think one thing that fans have clearly wanted, and so did I, that somehow we tie the worlds together. I think it was a little awkward that it wasn’t connected, and we certainly heard a lot from everybody out there. So I would definitely want to connect to all of that.”

“What we’ve been doing a lot of is thinking about the franchise rights for Ghostbusters,” Reitman continued, thinking beyond anything we’ve seen from the films so far. “Because Ghostbusters, that idea doesn’t have to just take place in New York, it can happen over the world. I think it would be really cool to see Korean ghosts or Chinese ghosts. All those great traditions in the world have all these tales and things those people are afraid of. To have a sort of local group of Ghostbusters that tie with the head office in New York would be fun.”

Andrew NDB
06-09-2017, 12:15 PM
“I think one thing that fans have clearly wanted, and so did I, that somehow we tie the worlds together. I think it was a little awkward that it wasn’t connected, and we certainly heard a lot from everybody out there. So I would definitely want to connect to all of that.”

Well, we DID want that. A little late for all of that now.

Vegita-San
06-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Well, we DID want that. A little late for all of that now.

wasn't his fault. feminazi's feig and pascal had more control than he did.

Andrew NDB
06-09-2017, 01:39 PM
wasn't his fault. feminazi's feig and pascal had more control than he did.

True, though I don't know why they allowed it to be like that. Sony literally couldn't make the film unless Ivan, Dan, and everyone on "Ghost Corps" signed off on it.

Seems like they made a Bad Deal.

ToTheNines
06-09-2017, 01:48 PM
True, though I don't know why they allowed it to be like that. Sony literally couldn't make the film unless Ivan, Dan, and everyone on "Ghost Corps" signed off on it.

Seems like they made a Bad Deal.

Little credibility!

Andrew NDB
06-09-2017, 02:48 PM
Little credibility!

NO credibility! Sad!

Wildcat
06-09-2017, 10:18 PM
What we’ve been doing a lot of is thinking about the franchise rights for Ghostbusters,” Reitman continued, thinking beyond anything we’ve seen from the films so far. “Because Ghostbusters, that idea doesn’t have to just take place in New York, it can happen over the world. I think it would be really cool to see Korean ghosts or Chinese ghosts. All those great traditions in the world have all these tales and things those people are afraid of. To have a sort of local group of Ghostbusters that tie with the head office in New York would be fun.”

Exactly, 100% what I wanted. I hope they find a way.

I said last year that they could possibly connect the reboot to the originals by saying the government erased people's minds of the previous events since in the movie they're aware that the supernatural exists and wanted the team to take the blame.

I think that's much better than any alternate universe fusing.

Vegita-San
06-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Following a thread on this article on the board I got banned on, because I stood up for myself.

I will say this. For as crazy as this place gets, at least MOST of us, even the people on my ignore list, can still act civilly when we disagree and not have it delve into insults for every post and every thread..

This other place, i'm LOL'ing at the one sidedness. they trash you directly even when you're gone ;o).

it's amazing the amount of crazy one bad movie can generate in a place.

I'm so glad wonder woman avoided most of this nonsense.

Anyway, Supposedly there is an original article where Feig blames everyone but himself, that was posted recently, but I can't find it.

Andrew NDB
06-11-2017, 06:52 PM
What we’ve been doing a lot of is thinking about the franchise rights for Ghostbusters,” Reitman continued, thinking beyond anything we’ve seen from the films so far. “Because Ghostbusters, that idea doesn’t have to just take place in New York, it can happen over the world. I think it would be really cool to see Korean ghosts or Chinese ghosts.

Someone is smelling those overseas dollars.

I said last year that they could possibly connect the reboot to the originals by saying the government erased people's minds of the previous events since in the movie they're aware that the supernatural exists and wanted the team to take the blame.

I think that's much better than any alternate universe fusing.

I agree, something like that would be neat. I think a somewhat better way to go, though, would be that either a new villain or a very old villain of the original Ghostbusters (Gozer?) come and gets revenge on the Ghostbusters by making the world forget them and giving them sh**** new identities years before the remake movie. Somehow the female Ghostbusters figure this out, are able to snap the original Ghostbusters out of their mind-wiped state and together they join forces to defeat the bad guy responsible for all of this. Then at the end, the whole world remembers the Ghostbusters, who are celebrated beside the new ones, too.

Everybody wins in that. Just keep Feig far, far away from it.

Vegita-San
06-11-2017, 06:59 PM

I can't believe he specifically quoted china and korea.

He DOES know the movie won't be able to play there, right? :)

Andrew NDB
06-11-2017, 10:18 PM
I can't believe he specifically quoted china and korea.

He DOES know the movie won't be able to play there, right? :)

There's probably some weird gray area with China. i.e., extra-dimensional entities, or Lovecraftian beings or something and not undead might be OK. Or something. I bet the farm there is Sony/Ghost Corps people actively exploring this now.

Wildcat
06-11-2017, 10:37 PM

I agree, something like that would be neat. I think a somewhat better way to go, though, would be that either a new villain or a very old villain of the original Ghostbusters (Gozer?) come and gets revenge on the Ghostbusters by making the world forget them and giving them sh**** new identities years before the remake movie. Somehow the female Ghostbusters figure this out, are able to snap the original Ghostbusters out of their mind-wiped state and together they join forces to defeat the bad guy responsible for all of this. Then at the end, the whole world remembers the Ghostbusters, who are celebrated beside the new ones, too.

Everybody wins in that. Just keep Feig far, far away from it.Ya that's a pretty good idea.

Only thing I'd say is the the cab driver identifes the ghosts as class 5 vapors when Erin stops him.

So if the government erased people's minds they let the original team go but gave them new identities. That would explain that little part.

It even helps to explain why Peter's character is so interested in meeting the new team. Him being a skeptic could just be a coverup.

ProactiveMan
06-12-2017, 12:43 AM
I don't think it'll work - the tones are too different. Ghostbusters 2016 exists in a farcical world of anti-Irish fences, and comedy mayors whereas the original was set more or less in the real world. Both worlds were built to serve very different styles of comedy - mixing them would be like trying to mix oil and water at this point.

Vegita-San
06-12-2017, 06:12 AM
I don't think it'll work - the tones are too different. Ghostbusters 2016 exists in a farcical world of anti-Irish fences, and comedy mayors whereas the original was set more or less in the real world. Both worlds were built to serve very different styles of comedy - mixing them would be like trying to mix oil and water at this point.

Yep. even in the IDW comic, the t wo styles of 'humor' don't mesh. one feels like it's written by paul feig, the other feels like it's written by someone who knows what they are doing.

And in an alternate cut I Saw online, that bad irish fence joke was replaced with a WORSE 'joke'. apparently the owner of the house was a titanic survivor, and sacrificed his wife, and I think kid, to save an antique clock from the ship and gave it a place on the life raft.

who thinks that is funny? other than some twisted director.

Vegita-San
06-12-2017, 02:24 PM
a gift for andrew. Can you spot the studio plant? ;o)

'
Feig has a lot of good movies in him... all the actors as well... Hell this movie showed the true comedy chops of Thor...''

who writes that with a straight face? I'll tell ya in PM if interested ;o)

ProphetofGanja
06-12-2017, 04:19 PM

Might as well do a MIB crossover

Andrew NDB
06-12-2017, 05:27 PM
a gift for andrew. Can you spot the studio plant? ;o)

Where is the plant?

Cryomancer
06-12-2017, 06:07 PM
Still want a tokusatsu Ghostbusters series.

Vegita-San
06-12-2017, 07:15 PM
BSoPFj1xkkE

his smug look at the end feels real.

I wonder how much of his statements attacking the fans and calling them everything from sexists to trump supporters was real.

I'd like to think it was forced on by sony. i really would

Wildcat
06-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Might as well do a MIB crossoverThat would be cool though. I've always thought both series are pretty similar.

Spike Spiegel
06-13-2017, 10:07 AM
That would be cool though. I've always thought both series are pretty similar.

Especially given that the same production house/studio/general writing staff were responsible for both of them, I always wished that the 1990s MIB cartoon would have crossed over with Extreme Ghostbusters.