PDA

View Full Version : Sony To Release Sanitized Versions of Movies

ZariusTwo
06-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Yes, you too can simulate a long flight home with this

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will announce today its “Clean Version” initiative, which “allows viewers to screen the broadcast or airline versions of select Sony films, free from certain mature content.” Rather than forcing consumers to choose whether to buy the original or “clean” cut of a given movie, Sony will instead make these “edited for content” versions available at no additional charge as one of the “extras” included with the theatrical version of the films that are part of the program, purchased on iTunes, VUDU, and FandangoNOW.

Sony’s “Clean Version” project, now under way, launches with the following 24 films, all of them including the option to screen the version “adapted for a wider audience”:

50 First Dates
Battle Of The Year
Big Daddy
Captain Phillips
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Easy A
Elysium
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters II
Goosebumps
Grown Ups
Grown Ups 2
Hancock
Inferno
Moneyball
Pixels
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 3
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Step Brothers
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
White House Down

plastroncafe
06-06-2017, 01:44 PM
I'm kind of surprised it's taken them this long, given how much money I'm sure online censors make from the Won't Someone Think Of The Kids crowd.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-06-2017, 01:45 PM
I wonder how they'll edit Gwen's death in ASM2.

But some of these choices are weird. Why would a little kid choose "Elysium" when he can pick Spongebob instead?

plastroncafe
06-06-2017, 01:48 PM
I wonder how they'll edit Gwen's death in ASM2.

But some of these choices are weird. Why would a little kid choose "Elysium" when he can pick Spongebob instead?

Because there are grown-ups out there who want to see Elysium, but don't want to leave their safe space to do it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Weird.

I wonder what they're censoring in said movies... a lot of those are pretty tame.

Candy Kappa
06-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Pixels could be censored by removing Sandler and Paul Blart, or completely censored and just show the original short instead.

The Deadman
06-06-2017, 02:21 PM
So they're going the Walmart route and making clean versions of all the media they receive. Alright then.

Andrew NDB
06-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Looks like TMNT: OotS and TMNT 2014 made the list.

Ba-dum-bum...

DestronMirage22
06-06-2017, 02:32 PM
If only Fox did this so I can show my little cousin Deadpool or Logan. :ohwell:

plastroncafe
06-06-2017, 02:34 PM
Friend of mine made a version of Deadpool4Kids, though I think it was more an exercise in art than anything else.

I remember him saying it was made extra easy because in costume you couldn't read his lips, so there was less concern about cutting the dialog.

That said, his kid loves it.

I wonder if this is something the director can control at all.
I also wonder if the TMNT re-edit would improve the movie any...

TheSkeletonMan939
06-06-2017, 02:35 PM

That would be subverting huge reasons behind the films' existences.

ToTheNines
06-06-2017, 02:35 PM

Show him anyways. He'll love you for it. Trust me.

ZariusTwo
06-06-2017, 03:10 PM

That you Grace Randolph?

DestronMirage22
06-06-2017, 03:41 PM
That you Grace Randolph?

What? :-?
________

Spike Spiegel
06-06-2017, 03:57 PM
Is the studio that strapped for cash?

Looks like some home schooled Christian fundamentalist kid will end up watching a version of the first "Spider-Man" with digitally erased nipples.

Autbot_Benz
06-06-2017, 04:01 PM
What? :-?
________

Grace Randolph was this critic who whined on twitter because she wanted a pg 13 cut of deadpool for her young son. Everyone laughed at her and nothing came of it.

Andrew NDB
06-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Is the studio that strapped for cash?

Yeah, they are. They really need some kind of big hit. They can't take another couple of all-female Ghostbusters reboots, that'd be the end of them.

DestronMirage22
06-06-2017, 04:39 PM
Grace Randolph was this critic who whined on twitter because she wanted a pg 13 cut of deadpool for her young son. Everyone laughed at her and nothing came of it.

Ah, I see.
I think they went the right route with the ratings (it's accurate to the source material and is necessary in order to do it justice) it's just that I'd like a cut version to show the kid. If he was my kid I wouldn't mind showing the films to him, but I'm pretty sure his mother would not approve.

plastroncafe
06-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Yeah, they are. They really need some kind of big hit. They can't take another couple of all-female Ghostbusters reboots, that'd be the end of them.

2/10
You've done better in the past.

I'm curious, where is the outrage about censorship here?
Why aren't The Usual Suspects complaining about how detrimental this is to both art and the film industry?

TheSkeletonMan939
06-06-2017, 09:17 PM
Why aren't The Usual Suspects complaining about how detrimental this is to both art and the film industry?

Because this isn't at all like the new E.T. DVDs having guns CGI'ed into walkie-talkies, which was a change Spielberg forced on everyone. You can still watch the real movie if you choose to.

Plus, if I want to give a cheeky answer
Sony
Art

pick only one.

snake
06-06-2017, 09:20 PM
2/10
You've done better in the past.

Because this really isn't that big of a deal. It's not like Sony isn't releasing the actual cuts.

Wildcat
06-06-2017, 10:17 PM
Seems dumb but whatever. Kids always end up watching unedited or R rated movies anyway. My parents let me. I think a lot do.

Shark_Blade
06-07-2017, 02:01 AM
We already have "Clean Version" of songs on itunes so a bit surprised it took them so long to get the clean version for movies.

Anyway, movie censoring is for wimps.

ToTheNines
06-07-2017, 02:48 AM
2/10

Cmon PC, you're smarter than that.

ProactiveMan
06-07-2017, 02:54 AM
I bet they cut the heavy petting out of Crouching Tiger but leave the blade embedded in that guy's head. What a bunch of sellouts, but I guess you get desperate when you're broke.

Spike Spiegel
06-07-2017, 06:30 AM
Seems dumb but whatever. Kids always end up watching unedited or R rated movies anyway. My parents let me. I think a lot do.

My dad showed me Terminator 2 when I was maybe nine or so, and my mother gave me a steady diet of Hitchcock films. I could watch Psycho, but not the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Go figure.

plastroncafe
06-07-2017, 07:32 AM
Cmon PC, you're smarter than that.

It's not like I didn't know the answer, I was just curious to see how i many ways it would be spun.

This is literally a move to appease to a vocal minority seeking a safe space. And yet... So quiet.

snake
06-07-2017, 09:22 AM
It's not like I didn't know the answer, I was just curious to see how i many ways it would be spun.

This is literally a move to appease to a vocal minority seeking a safe space. And yet... So quiet.

Overprotective parents aren't trashing college campuses.

plastroncafe
06-07-2017, 10:45 AM
You clearly don't work in academia.
They do, and they are.

Andrew NDB
06-07-2017, 11:49 AM
As long as there's the ability to watch the REAL version, I don't mind. I was irritated on a flight last year. I watched Bad Moms, the whole damn thing... it was horrible, ghastly, and painfully unfunny and oddly super sanitized of anything that could be remotely construed as "objectionable." I was very confused as to why they'd make a movie like this, clearly intended for older women, as PG-13.

Then I went home and saw it was an R movie. Then it became clear: the only version available on the plane was an edited-to-be-clean version, apparently, and there was no warning at all that I had been watching a FAKE version. <---- now, this kind of stuff is shifty.

plastroncafe
06-07-2017, 11:52 AM
HA!
My mother had a similar thing happen to her when she went to Walmart and bought a cd, only to find the entire thing was a *Radio Edit*.
She was bull$hit, stormed back to the store and demanded a refund.

I'm pretty sure it was an album by Kid Rock.

So now I'm wondering, how will these be labelled.

ToTheNines
06-07-2017, 11:58 AM

No, I don't think you do. I certainly didn't hear anyone crying about filthy Sony movies. This is just a market based experiment aimed at a certain demographic. What do I care if the puritans among us want to watch a curse-free Ricky Bobby?

The real versions of all these movies are still readily available. So they're not treading on the artistic integrity of them (anymore than the studio already has at least), and they're not ruining it for everyone else who isn't interested in the training wheels cut.

Andrew NDB
06-07-2017, 11:59 AM
HA!
My mother had a similar thing happen to her when she went to Walmart and bought a cd, only to find the entire thing was a *Radio Edit*.
She was bull$hit, stormed back to the store and demanded a refund.

I'm pretty sure it was an album by Kid Rock.

So now I'm wondering, how will these be labelled.

That's so stupid. Why would anyone want to go and pay money out of their pocket to buy an album CD that's been edited for toddlers? Like a gift from parents to their kid? I'd give it right back to them.

The planes thing, I'm pretty sure it's because they're afraid that the kid sitting next to me might look over and see Mila Kunis' boob on my screen or something. But I definitely wouldn't have watched it at all if I'd known it was edited like that. Who knows, the movie with all the R stuff put back in it might have been OK? I'll never know, because I refuse to risk it again after suffering through the edited one.

Allio
06-07-2017, 12:53 PM

because ultimately these things have always been around, now Sony is just being open about it.

ZariusTwo
06-16-2017, 07:42 AM
Looks like the pressure from the Directors Guild has convinced Sony to amend their plans a little...they will no longer distribute a clean version if a director objects to their film's inclusion.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/15/sony-clean-versions-films-tv-protests-studio-sanitised-movies-film-makers

ProphetofGanja
06-16-2017, 12:28 PM
Looks like the pressure from the Directors Guild has convinced Sony to amend their plans a little...they will no longer distribute a clean version if a director objects to their film's inclusion.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/15/sony-clean-versions-films-tv-protests-studio-sanitised-movies-film-makers

Good. I wouldn't want my final product edited all to hell so that some person who says "heinie" can show one of these films to their kid, or watch it themselves, which is even more appalling

Like, what will some of these movies even be once they're sanitized? In the case of Ghostbusters, I can't see them removing much other than maybe the paranormal blowjob scene and that one time where Venkman says "prick" or whatever. Not exactly drastic changes, to be sure (especially since that BJ scene makes no sense since the scene that explained it was cut), but then again it seems so trivial that it's like, why edit it in the first place?

But who tf wants to see a sanitized version of Step Brothers?? I feel like that movie especially relied on the raunchy R-rated humor it contained. Without it, you just have a weird movie about two dudes who still live with their parents.

Edit: and Goosebumps is already rated PG! What more do they want??

Shark_Blade
06-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Good. Don't entertain those idiotic wimps.

Cure
06-16-2017, 03:52 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. Isn't an option on the disc? As in, both versions on one disc? If that's the case, I don't see why people would be upset over options. If I'm wrong, then OK.

snake
06-16-2017, 05:37 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. Isn't an option on the disc? As in, both versions on one disc? If that's the case, I don't see why people would be upset over options. If I'm wrong, then OK.

The way I'm reading it, it'll be a different product entirely. So unless you purposely buy the DVD marked as the sanitized version you wouldn't even own it. It's a non-issue.

sdp
06-16-2017, 05:51 PM
The only problem I see is that these edited versions could become more common and then finding the unedited ones will be a hassle. Remember in the early DVD days when depending on the film it was sometimes difficult to find a widescreen release instead of fullscreen and that was annoying. But if we use the music analogy, it's definitely a lot more difficult to find edited versions of songs than unedited.

snake
06-16-2017, 08:01 PM
The only problem I see is that these edited versions could become more common and then finding the unedited ones will be a hassle. Remember in the early DVD days when depending on the film it was sometimes difficult to find a widescreen release instead of fullscreen and that was annoying. But if we use the music analogy, it's definitely a lot more difficult to find edited versions of songs than unedited.

I highly doubt that. Finding DVDs and Blu-Ray's of the same movie isn't too hard at all. Amazon has the option to choose whatever version of the movie you want.

In my experience, finding uncensored music is never a hassle. More often than not it's the uncensored version that comes up first, aslong as you aren't watching from VEVO or anything like that.

ToTheNines
06-16-2017, 08:40 PM
Good. I wouldn't want my final product edited all to hell so that some person who says "heinie" can show one of these films to their kid, or watch it themselves, which is even more appalling

As I said in my last post, that's ultimately moot because Sony (and most/all other major studios) pretty much maims any film they'd produce into an acceptable movie, in their eyes. Nothing distributed on that level is the artist's creation anyways.

Like, what will some of these movies even be once they're sanitized? In the case of Ghostbusters, I can't see them removing much other than maybe the paranormal blowjob scene and that one time where Venkman says "prick" or whatever. Not exactly drastic changes, to be sure (especially since that BJ scene makes no sense since the scene that explained it was cut), but then again it seems so trivial that it's like, why edit it in the first place?

I've watched many a Ghostbusters TV edit. They can cut more than you would expect.

But who tf wants to see a sanitized version of Step Brothers?? I feel like that movie especially relied on the raunchy R-rated humor it contained. Without it, you just have a weird movie about two dudes who still live with their parents.

:lol:

Edit: and Goosebumps is already rated PG! What more do they want??

Yeah. That one and the Spider-Man series really stuck out to me as puzzlers.