PDA

View Full Version : SDCC 2017 Playmates exclusive Usagi

Otter
06-07-2017, 04:11 AM
Thought I'd start this thread (didn't see one anywhere) in the hopes that people with more experience with Playmates' SDCC exclusives than me can help me get my hands on the exclusive Usagi Yojimbo figure this year.

I'm in Australia. Do Playmates do an online order and ship to US addresses kind of thing like NECA? Or is it a show-floor only kind of a deal?

Am I looking at resorting to ebay, or have online retailers (like popcultcha in Aus) picked up Playmates exclusives in the past?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cobrakahn
06-07-2017, 06:58 AM
I would look to ebay. Also check Big Bad Toy Store, Entertainment Earth, or any of the other big league US online toy sellers and pre-order. So far I haven't seen any promotional material other than what we saw at NYTF, or what Stan Saki talked about in his meeting at Playmates.

Playmates doesn't have a retail website. So I am not sure how they would sell direct to non-attendee collectors.

cloud
06-07-2017, 11:37 AM
When was this announced? Lol

Otter
06-07-2017, 02:03 PM
When was this announced? Lol

See above. Stan Sakai's Facebook posts largely.

Otter
06-07-2017, 02:05 PM
I would look to ebay. Also check Big Bad Toy Store, Entertainment Earth, or any of the other big league US online toy sellers and pre-order. So far I haven't seen any promotional material other than what we saw at NYTF, or what Stan Saki talked about in his meeting at Playmates.

Playmates doesn't have a retail website. So I am not sure how they would sell direct to non-attendee collectors.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep an eye out at BBTS and EE.

Powder
06-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Damn, this thread was misleading. I thought pictures had been shown.

Raptor86
06-09-2017, 04:34 AM
I would also like to get my hands on it, but I'll the pictures first

Rewdog
06-09-2017, 10:12 AM
I'm hoping to get this in the UK as well but imagine it will be hard.

Raptor86
06-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Still no news?

Optimus Primer
06-28-2017, 08:58 PM
Still no news?

Playmates normally reveals their exclusives around July 10th-ish, so I assume it will be revealed around then.

AlZarkovski
07-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Finally!!!:o

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/90966_SDCC_Exclusive_Usagi_Pkg_Open_01-1024x699.jpg

http://nerdist.com/nickelodeon-brings-powdered-toast-man-hey-arnold-and-tmnt-swag-to-comic-con-exclusive/

Coro
07-06-2017, 08:58 AM
I very much want one of these. I wonder how high the after market on this will go? sheesh...

Zulithe
07-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Playmates has an Amazon shop called The Toy Box iirc. They sold some previous exclusives there. But they don't seem to really stock it anymore so who knows

D Piddy 1982
07-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Nice!

Be cool to see him with the head with the hat on.

Coro
07-06-2017, 11:14 AM
The box art and configuration is amazing! This proves that Playmates is capable if they actually put effort into things...

***First of Two Latin Kings***
07-06-2017, 11:36 AM
The box art and configuration is amazing! This proves that Playmates is capable if they actually put effort into things...

Exactly my thought. This is one of the coolest things Playmates has done ever.

Rewdog
07-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Do we know how limited this is going to be?

Coro
07-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Retail says $30...I am willing to pay more than retail for one or 2 of these in case anyone can provide them. I want!

Rewdog
07-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Same goes for me if anyone can help me out?

jestergoblin
07-06-2017, 12:18 PM
Uh oh.

Here's the announcement:

Playmates Toys has announced their 2017 San Diego Comic Con Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles exclusive. It is of a Deluxe Usagi Yojimbo figure and will be available at the Nickelodeon Booth (#4113) for $30.

In Nickelodeon’s 2017 Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the samurai rabbit Usagi Yojimbo will reunite with the Ninja Turtles once again for a three-part story arc that begins airing July 23. The San Diego Comic-Con exclusive of the 2017 Usagi Yojimbo new character design action figure comes in a limited edition of 350.

This item features the newly designed Usagi Yojimbo action figure in a 5” scale, dressed in his classic blue robe, and comes with his traditional Samurai swords. Also included are two additional exclusive, interchangeable Usagi heads, his pet Tokage lizard, and a flag with Usagi’s signature emblem. All this is presented in a collector edition 5th panel storybook package, with a rerun of the 1987 Comic Book “Leonardo Meets Usagi Yojimbo in Turtle Soup and Rabbit Stew,” and the 1989 Comic Book “The Treaty.”

Source: http://toynewsi.com/news.php?itemid=29288

Coro
07-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Uh oh.

Here's the announcement:

Source: http://toynewsi.com/news.php?itemid=29288

OH JESUS! 350?!?!?!

Prepare for these to surpass 200$

Coro
07-06-2017, 12:43 PM
already on eBay for $120+

Which one of you guys did that? HAHA

zodach
07-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Just another reason to hate Playmates Toys. They have absolutely no clue about the collector market. When they finally put some effort into an exclusive item like this they make it one of the most limited items ever. An action figure with a run of 350 is just absurd these days, especially for a line with the history of TMNT. Add in all the scalpers at SDCC and this one will be an absolute nightmare to obtain. Thanks for nothing Playmates!

EddieNES
07-06-2017, 01:22 PM
First item I had to scoop from a scalper.

Get'em while they're low was looping in my head.

funatic
07-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Dang, much more excited about this than the other SDCC set. Surprised they're letting it go for only $30 when the run is so low. I'm hoping that's 350* with an asterisk and a few more if these show up at NYCC which I actually have tickets to. :trazz:

Candy Kappa
07-06-2017, 02:46 PM
Godammit... 350 figures? There goes my hopes to get one for a decent price.

Oculus Orbus
07-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Playmates, what a joke.

Powder
07-06-2017, 03:32 PM
I'll just wait for a certain someone to cast resin copies of the alternate heads. :tlol:

DonatelloFan1984
07-06-2017, 04:05 PM
Wtf 350?!?! This is insane. Can't complain I guess because I am willing to spend to get it.

wvfan
07-06-2017, 07:46 PM
Ill keep praying that our our friends in china that keeps pumping out the bootlegs does this one as well.

Sad my bootleg want list just keeps getting bigger all because we cant get the authentic ones.

Otter
07-06-2017, 09:31 PM
Interesting that they are listing them on ebay already, before anyone has them in hand. With a run so low, how could you have confidence that the seller will even be able to acquire one?

stcardinal
07-06-2017, 09:40 PM
At 350 these will sell out on the first day. I wouldn't worry too much though. Walmart is suppose to have two exclusives which I think will have the alt heads and accessories. It would not surprise me if the only SDCC exclusive about this set are the comic books.

Don't pay those scalper prices guys. Wait until SDCC announcement, Usagi will be plentiful.

07-06-2017, 10:56 PM
They made 350 of them, or the price is $350?

Ninturtle
07-06-2017, 10:57 PM
They made 350 of them, or the price is $350?

They made 350.

DestronMirage22
07-06-2017, 11:01 PM
I'm not impressed.

Standard Usagi fig plus a couple extras isn't really worth $30. And it definitely won't be worth those scalper prices.

Only 350....Playmates' incompetence continues to reach new levels. :roll:

stcardinal
07-06-2017, 11:19 PM
https://image.ibb.co/kt6nSv/usagi.pngs

Photoshopped. In case anyone wants to see what he looks like with the alt head.

07-07-2017, 07:02 AM
Thank goodness for PayPal credit.

funatic
07-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Standard Usagi fig plus a couple extras isn't really worth $30. And it definitely won't be worth those scalper prices.

Wait, so it's actually an identical figure to the regular release? There aren't more points of articulation? That's too bad if so. The box, extra heads, accessories, and comics would still make this worth $30 to me... but yeah not much more than that.

P.S. Can anyone tell the difference between the two usagi heads without the hat?

BYWInsaniac
07-07-2017, 01:18 PM
P.S. Can anyone tell the difference between the two usagi heads without the hat?

As far as I can tell, one of them has a painted mouth?

$30 is a pretty fair price for an SDCC exclusive. Or, at least, a pretty average price from what I recall. I'm super excited about the accessories and the extra head with the hat, but I'm really disappointed that this is going to be impossible to buy...

-JJ

Optimus Primer
07-07-2017, 02:21 PM

One of them is the retail head, one is the prototype head used at NYTF.

OrokuYoshiFilms
07-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Playmates, why I oughtta *shakes fist*...this is so cool. Sedge hat and everything. I've been trying to find sedge hats for these figures since 2013

Shogun26
07-07-2017, 08:22 PM
I bet these will be posted online to playmates website after sdcc like the night glow (ninja) leo.

stcardinal
07-07-2017, 10:59 PM
I bet these will be posted online to playmates website after sdcc like the night glow (ninja) leo.

Not if there are only 350 made!

Otter
07-08-2017, 12:28 AM

Someone here said that Playmates don't hae a retail site.

ToTheNines
07-10-2017, 03:28 AM
I really just want it for the comic. The Treaty has only been printed in Shell Shocked and that super rare special edition of the Fantagraphics collection.

Hopefully some people only want the figure.

Candy Kappa
07-11-2017, 02:47 PM
Have there been any reveals of the extra head without the hat? Looks like it's just the same head as the other head, just with less paint.

07-11-2017, 02:59 PM
I really just want it for the comic. The Treaty has only been printed in Shell Shocked and that super rare special edition of the Fantagraphics collection.

Hopefully some people only want the figure.

What is your buying price for it?

DonnieLaForge
07-12-2017, 08:09 AM
Anybody know off hand what the previous exclusives were limited to? I have all of those, and none of them were especially expensive to get both during and after the con...

This one is unfortunately apparently going to bring in comics collectors which a run of 350 failed to account for. I want the figure, but I sure as heck don't want it without the comics, it's a complete package. So I guess I have to fight comic fans for whom $250 for a couple of reproductions is apparently a reasonable proposition?

ZacksSoUgly
07-12-2017, 09:06 PM
I really hope this is more obtainable than it seems, but limited to 350 gives me absolutely no hope.

Shark_Blade
07-12-2017, 09:16 PM
I don't really care about the comic since I go digital nowadays (thanks iBook app!).

When will the standard version goes on sale? These 350 boxes seem impossible to get at this point. :roll:

Powder
07-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Usagi's been out for a month or two already. But he doesn't come with multiple heads, Spot, or the banner.

There is no "standard" edition of this, just the regular retail Usagi.

Shark_Blade
07-12-2017, 10:20 PM
No extras for the regular? That's a shame. :(

I still can't wrap my head why only 350? Playmates don't want to make money is it? With the new episode featuring him on tmnt the demand is sure to skyrocket. I can't with these bigwigs. :roll:

funatic
07-13-2017, 11:43 PM
Is there anyone attending SDCC who would like to be cross-country buddies for TMNT exclusives this year? I'm attending NYCC this fall and could get you access to exclusives at that con in exchange. Send me a PM if interested.

Rewdog
07-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Unsurprisingly it sounds like this is near impossible to pick up.

tmntfannumerouno
07-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Unsurprisingly it sounds like this is near impossible to pick up.

Sad part is these will end up on ebay for six times what they're selling for at the con.

07-20-2017, 02:10 PM
I paid $120 on eBay for the one I pre-ordered. They are going for a lot more now.

tmntfannumerouno
07-20-2017, 02:17 PM
I paid $120 on eBay for the one I pre-ordered. They are going for a lot more now.

Exactly my point, you got a great deal. I can't see these going for less than what you paid now.

EddieNES
07-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Exactly my point, you got a great deal. I can't see these going for less than what you paid now.

I did the same. $130 But I'm counting on a "hey I wasn't able to grab one, I'll return your money."

Then they immediately list it for double the price.

tmntfannumerouno
07-20-2017, 02:28 PM
I did the same. $130 But I'm counting on a "hey I wasn't able to grab one, I'll return your money."

That would suck if they tried to pull that ****.

Rewdog
07-20-2017, 02:30 PM

Same here, talking to the seller though he seems genuine, also been told by another source that it is practically impossible and rules being broken.

zodach
07-20-2017, 03:23 PM

Same here. I bought low early on, but I'm expecting the seller to back out. If he can actually snag a LE 350 figure at Comic-Con he must have mad ninja skills or early access to the convention floor with a dealer badge.

Candy Kappa
07-20-2017, 03:23 PM
Jeez, those prices are insane. Besides the comic, it's cheaper to get the non-playmates Usagi for Spot and get the regular retail Usagi :lol:

Rewdog
07-21-2017, 02:17 PM
The guy who is picking one up for me said he has been literally the first person through he door but the Usagi queue is already long because they are selling to exhibitors who are in early. Seems a bit unfair to be honest.

Powder
07-21-2017, 04:52 PM
The guy who is picking one up for me said he has been literally the first person through he door but the Usagi queue is already long because they are selling to exhibitors who are in early. Seems a bit unfair to be honest.

That's such bullsh*t. Most of 'em are probably scalpers. Nick/Playmates botched this whole thing.

wpugh2424
07-21-2017, 04:58 PM

Wtf
Seriously getting tired of scalpers. These things need to go to true fans . Not unappreciative mufus. I think I'm bout to have a coronary just thinking bout it

TurtleWA
07-21-2017, 05:20 PM
What a joke. It's all about the money now a days. Money, dressing up and movies. Should change the name to corporate con because comics are left out. You ever see the list of sponsors. Fox, NBC, Amazon, HBO and so on.

07-21-2017, 05:49 PM
That's such bullsh*t. Most of 'em are probably scalpers. Nick/Playmates botched this whole thing.

I pre-ordered one via eBay and have been told that the order will probably be canceled. Tokka was going to try to get one for me and now doubts he'll even be able to get one for himself.

drewizzle88
07-21-2017, 05:55 PM
Sure is a shame. I would have loved to bought this set for retail or somewhere close, Playmates could have made some money from us if they'd made a decent amount. I'll spend it with NECA instead.

I Crave Pizza No More
07-21-2017, 06:00 PM
For three straight years, I did the whole SDCC thing. Each morning, I went directly to the Nick counter, waited in line, watched people cut in with their friends, buy multiple sets, etc. I found the experience to be frustrating, especially since almost every exclusive item became available later on, whether through Playmates or eBay, at retail or even below.

It's a shame that this Usagi figure, which a lot of us here genuinely want, is a scalper's delight. As much as I enjoy certain aspects of SDCC, as a whole the mass consumerism, and people's desire to buy stuff merely to flip to make a quick buck, sort of disgusts me.

Shark_Blade
07-21-2017, 06:31 PM
It goes around $260 now, like similar cost of Neca tmnt collection which has 8 figures!

I love Usagi but geez that doesn't seem worth it for a single figure...

DonatelloFan1984
07-22-2017, 06:17 PM
Sure is a shame. I would have loved to bought this set for retail or somewhere close, Playmates could have made some money from us if they'd made a decent amount. I'll spend it with NECA instead.

This. And with NECA knocking it out of the park every single time they show something I have no reason to waste over 200 dollars on one playmates figure no matter how much I love usagi.

EddieNES
07-23-2017, 03:15 PM
Mine was canceled. Claimed he couldn't snag one.

Bummer, but I just scooped DreamEx Raph with the credit.

I'm happy.

tmntfannumerouno
07-23-2017, 06:34 PM
Mine was canceled. Claimed he couldn't snag one.

Bummer, but I just scooped DreamEx Raph with the credit.

I'm happy.

Are you gonna watch to see if he re-list it?

EddieNES
07-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Are you gonna watch to see if he re-list it?

I'll keep watch sure. Not sure what I'll do if he does. It's a playmates toy, not a huge loss. If he is deceiving me, I'd never know. Prob use another account. Or he legit tried and couldn't get one. I can't really judge him unless he puts one up for sale with same account.

I'm pretty stoked for my Raph, I was super happy with my Don.

Coro
07-23-2017, 08:01 PM
So I bought one from eBay. Signed by Stan Sakai and he claims its mint. I dont want to even mention for how much, but I REALLY wanted this.

DestronMirage22
07-24-2017, 12:27 AM
To all you guys out there buying these on the second market, you have my condolences.
Your wallets must be really hurting right now.

I hope all goes well and you don't get screwed by unscrupulous individuals.

darthwahl56
07-24-2017, 07:07 AM
This is why I never consider getting con exclusives in the first place, they usually do junk like this. I consider it a bonus to find one of these items, if I do, at a reasonable price. The quantity and popularity on this Usagi figure makes it quite silly to try for this toy.

NECA comes out on top in my books in this scenario.:tcool:

tmntfannumerouno
07-24-2017, 11:42 AM
This is why I never consider getting con exclusives in the first place, they usually do junk like this. I consider it a bonus to find one of these items, if I do, at a reasonable price. The quantity and popularity on this Usagi figure makes it quite silly to try for this toy.

NECA comes out on top in my books in this scenario.:tcool:

Not really because there's still a lot of us who were unable to get the sdcc set and now we're stuck without or we have to pay ridiculous scalper prices. Sounds about the same in both scenarios.

Ninjinister
07-24-2017, 12:08 PM
$30 and it's floating around the $250-300 mark in most places.

Kee-ripes. I partially blame Playmates for this, due to making it so limited.

I kinda wish Playmates still had their online store. In previous years, they'd made the SDCC exclusive available for a bit soon thereafter. I'd managed to get a couple of them pretty easily, but I never even found out about B&W Raph being up until months afterward.

Optimus Primer
07-28-2017, 06:02 PM
ToyHypeUSA put of a review of this set:

http://www.toyhypeusa.com/2017/07/28/playmates-toys-sdcc-2017-exclusive-deluxe-usagi-yojimbo-figure-review/

NoPressApril
07-28-2017, 06:34 PM
I really like this figure. I was able to score 2 and I am sending them to AFA on Monday for uncirculated grading. I'll post pics when they get back.

tmntfannumerouno
07-28-2017, 06:49 PM
Seeing whats on ebay now and what has already been sold makes me wonder how many of these went to scalpers and how many went to actual collectors.:ohwell:

07-28-2017, 07:39 PM
A close friend of mine went to SDCC and said most of them went to scalpers.

wpugh2424
07-28-2017, 07:45 PM

Figured:tmad:

NoPressApril
07-28-2017, 08:51 PM
Seeing whats on ebay now and what has already been sold makes me wonder how many of these went to scalpers and how many went to actual collectors.:ohwell:

I am pretty sure that I purchased one from a press member and one from a vendor. I was so determined to get one that I ordered 2, each from a different seller on preview night. I figured that I would be lucky to get one, I was tickled when I actually got both! I'm grading them for preservation as well as the fact that I can grade them with the front flap permanently opened, and they will display beautifully.

tmntfannumerouno
07-29-2017, 02:25 PM

Yep that's what I figured:ohwell:

07-30-2017, 05:37 AM
He said there was literally moaning and gnashing of teeth.

NoPressApril
07-30-2017, 08:03 AM
That's why I went in with a game plan. I was determined. Instead of spending thousands of dollars traveling and going to the con (for nothing apparently) I just gave in and paid the scalper prices. I found the average going rate as of preview night and ordered within that price range, knowing that anything less was just going to be "unable to get" and refunded. I know how scalpers are.
This is one instance where I can say that if not for those scalpers this actual collector would not have his figure. Yeah, I know. I didn't like typing it anymore than you liked reading it lol. I do think that anyone who pays these ridiculous scalper prices is more than likely an actual collector though, at 250.00 there isn't exactly a lot of room for profit (unless you were that original scalper who paid 30.00 lol.)

TMNTFanatic4Life
07-31-2017, 09:39 AM
I got my Comic con Usagi today. It's pretty cool and I'm happy I was able to get one.

Coro
07-31-2017, 10:10 AM
That's why I went in with a game plan. I was determined. Instead of spending thousands of dollars traveling and going to the con (for nothing apparently) I just gave in and paid the scalper prices. I found the average going rate as of preview night and ordered within that price range, knowing that anything less was just going to be "unable to get" and refunded. I know how scalpers are.
This is one instance where I can say that if not for those scalpers this actual collector would not have his figure. Yeah, I know. I didn't like typing it anymore than you liked reading it lol. I do think that anyone who pays these ridiculous scalper prices is more than likely an actual collector though, at 250.00 there isn't exactly a lot of room for profit (unless you were that original scalper who paid 30.00 lol.)

I paid 250 for mine and it arrived the other day. I only bought for that price if the box was mint and it was signed by Stan. I think 250 is fair for a mint box, with mailer and signed. At one point I was working with someone that refused to sent pics of the box in the 300 range. Lots of these were man handled pretty bad apparently.

Autbot_Benz
08-02-2017, 12:39 PM
No surprise but Playmates sent one to Pixel Dan

MUFgHR-PB5E

TurtleWA
08-02-2017, 02:54 PM
No surprise but Playmates sent one to Pixel Dan

MUFgHR-PB5E

Can't make myself watch the video. To envious that I couldn't get one for $30. I kind of always thought the reviews were for awareness of "available" products like infomercials. But I guess considering these aren't readily available this video is purely a show and tell.

billcook1980
08-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Pixel Dan is nothing but a tool. He loves rubbing in the fact that he gets sent these freebies.

Rewdog
08-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Looks like I have been stitched up, paid $180 (plus GSP fees), this seems to go for $200+ now. Anyhow, seller told me had shipped and gave me a reference, this hasn't moved since 22nd which shows a label was printed. After chasing up, he insisted that it had gone as part of a pile of packages and should be appear when it has been scanned again.

I chased again last night and he has instantly come back and refunded me without seeming to interrogate USPS as to the whereabouts etc. However, I have noticed he sold another Usagi for $220 or so. Doesn't seem to quite add up although could be completely true.

OrokuYoshiFilms
08-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Damn that sedge hat is sweet...

ZacksSoUgly
08-03-2017, 12:04 AM
I was at SDCC and can totally attest to the fact that these were definitely being bought out by the scalpers. I'm hoping some ACTUAL fans/collectors got one for retail, but based on what I saw and what I heard it doesn't seem like it. I had a badge that granted me early access, got in 30min before doors opened, and the Nickelodeon line was capped. Seems like it would've been extremely hard for a "normal" attendee to obtain one.

LUCKILY for me, I won a contest that Nickelodeon was doing on their Instagram story and I received an SDCC Usagi signed by Stan. They gave away 5 through that contest. I was really bummed after seeing the crazy lines and the scalper prices, but I got one for free so that definitely turned my frown upside down. (Not trying to brag or rub anything in, just saying...)

DestronMirage22
08-03-2017, 12:24 AM
Pixel Dan is nothing but a tool. He loves rubbing in the fact that he gets sent these freebies.

I agree with you, and nice first post! :lol:

snake
08-03-2017, 12:37 AM
Jeez, they really screwed this one up. Has a SDCC exclusive EVER been handled properly?

I Crave Pizza No More
08-03-2017, 06:54 AM
LUCKILY for me, I won a contest that Nickelodeon was doing on their Instagram story and I received an SDCC Usagi signed by Stan. They gave away 5 through that contest. I was really bummed after seeing the crazy lines and the scalper prices, but I got one for free so that definitely turned my frown upside down. (Not trying to brag or rub anything in, just saying...)

Congrats, man. Glad that a real fan was able to get one.

Danakin
08-03-2017, 07:46 AM
Jeez, they really screwed this one up. Has a SDCC exclusive EVER been handled properly?
NECA's, this year in fact.

If you're talking specifically Nick/Playmates, then the last two I was present for (Shadow Leo and Chrome Shredder) were easy to obtain.

Bry
08-03-2017, 08:32 AM
Scalpers are garbage parasites. But this entire "limited exclusive" idea actively encourages the speculator market and keeps items out of the hands of the people they should be made for. The whole situation grosses me out.

NECA has handled it well in the past -- I got my NYCC Mirage Foot Clan set by ordering online, despite being nowhere near NYC. But from what I can tell, getting this one was damned near impossible even for regular SDCC attendees. Fans should at least have a chance to get a hold of these things legitimately.

I've been a huge Usagi comics fan for like 20 years. The first thing I'd wanna do is take the thing out of the box, swap heads, put it in a nice pose with its accessories, and find it a good place to display it with my other Usagi stuff. Y'know, enjoy the thing. Like it should be made for, right?

tmntfannumerouno
08-03-2017, 08:45 AM
NECA's, this year in fact.

If you're talking specifically Nick/Playmates, then the last two I was present for (Shadow Leo and Chrome Shredder) were easy to obtain.

Neca's exclusives were not handled properly at all. First they canceled one of their early sales dates for non-attendees. Second they ended up with a lot of extras. Third everyone and their mom are having quality control issues that range from case problems, paint issues, or assembly issues on the figures. To me it almost seems like they knew the QC was **** so they hoarded a bunch of extras for the inevitable backlash.

**** YOU RANDY

statik
08-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Not getting involved in the Neca in a topic about Usagi.

Anyway. I can confirm. Nickelodeon line is the biggest ****ing joke at SDCC. I was first in line for the general crowd to be let in, rushed my ass to Nick line. Already capped. They only cater to exhibitor and professional badges who get let in early. I've tried the past two years and it's the same ordeal both times. Unless you have those badges, don't waste your time. I'm not feeding a flipper based on this. I will proudly say **** you Nickelodeon and **** you Playmates. Finally release a quality figure and all you do is feed flippers by limiting it so low. Class act guys. Give yourself a pat on the back for being the most hated tmnt toy brand. Well done.

08-03-2017, 04:51 PM
I ordered one of these off of eBay today for someone who just wanted the figure. The exclusive comic included I will be offering for sale...

Danakin
08-03-2017, 07:43 PM
Neca's exclusives were not handled properly at all. First they canceled one of their early sales dates for non-attendees. Second they ended up with a lot of extras. Third everyone and their mom are having quality control issues that range from case problems, paint issues, or assembly issues on the figures. To me it almost seems like they knew the QC was **** so they hoarded a bunch of extras for the inevitable backlash.

**** YOU RANDY
The fact that non-attendees had an opportunity to purchase them at all puts NECA in the positive category. They provided ordering information a month ahead of time so everyone could prepare, plenty of people here were able to order a set (or two) with ease. Compare that to 95% of the other companies offering convention exclusives.

QC is a separate issue, one that occurs often with any company that produces in NECA's quantity and price range - look no further than Hasbro's retail offerings. NECA also has a good history of replacing pieces/figures and I have no doubt they will make it right for anyone with a faulty set. NECA tends to let the factories run wild with production of these con exclusives after the show so I'm sure they're gathering replacements now.

These are small problems compared to this Playmates/Nick fiasco in which only vendors/scalpers were able to buy an Usagi. NECA did everything they could within their licensing restrictions to get these into as many hands as possible. Playmates could have made 500, 1000 or even more of these, offered them online or as a shared TRU exclusive or some other means and they chose not to.

DonnieLaForge
08-04-2017, 07:29 AM
After a long delay...mine arrived. Playmates shoved it into the white box a bit hastily and put a crease in the bottom front flap corner right out of the mint. Does that make it minty by definition?

I expected these to go at $70 or so during the con...before I heard they were limited to 350 and realized comic fans would be clamoring too. On the day the pic was released I actually hovered on eBay and could have bought some $80 listings but I thought that was too high - ha! Those orders probably never panned out anyway. So I bit the bullet a bit later but managed to keep it lower than 2 benjamins.

I had to have one...I have a complete opened basic collection plus a 99% complete carded collection... went nuts for this line. Have the other SDCCs too. Only hole is the original TF early preview turtles which I can rationalize away as not necessary. But this guy is necessary!

I wish for myself and everyone else it had been handled better.

tw2thr3
08-04-2017, 11:57 PM
This is definitely a cool collectors item but for the scalper prices I can do without. I almost paid 185 on eBay but couldn't bring myself to, of course it sold and that price may be considered low end right now. I truly pray that someone generous can offer casts for those like me who just want swappable heads for the basic usagi. Painting shouldn't be a problem. Would love a cast of Spot as well. Anybody with a set interested? Can pay for material costs labor and shipping of your own estimate. I'm sure there are many ppl on board for an idea like this

tmntfannumerouno
08-05-2017, 06:13 AM
This is definitely a cool collectors item but for the scalper prices I can do without. I almost paid 185 on eBay but couldn't bring myself to, of course it sold and that price may be considered low end right now. I truly pray that someone generous can offer casts for those like me who just want swappable heads for the basic usagi. Painting shouldn't be a problem. Would love a cast of Spot as well. Anybody with a set interested? Can pay for material costs labor and shipping of your own estimate. I'm sure there are many ppl on board for an idea like this

If I had the set I'd do it. I think it would be awseome to have multiple tokage for display.

08-05-2017, 06:46 AM

I bought one for $185 to part out. You'd have to ask the person I bought it for if you could make molds of all the extra pieces.

Anyone looking for just the comic?

Jeff
08-05-2017, 06:33 PM
I bought one for $185 to part out. You'd have to ask the person I bought it for if you could make molds of all the extra pieces.

Anyone looking for just the comic?

how much are you willing to sell the comic for?

ZacksSoUgly
08-07-2017, 07:24 PM
Congrats, man. Glad that a real fan was able to get one.

Thanks, dude! I'm definitely glad too.

08-07-2017, 08:03 PM
how much are you willing to sell the comic for?

I bought the figure for $185 shipped. Someone paid me $120 for just the figure and the box. Open to offers for the comic.

Jeff
08-16-2017, 05:02 PM
I bought the figure for $185 shipped. Someone paid me $120 for just the figure and the box. Open to offers for the comic.

i dont know man, i was thinking $20. $65 is unreasonably high to me, but I wouldn't want you to take a loss.