PDA

View Full Version : Teenage mutant HERO turtles

brunobliss
06-09-2017, 04:12 PM
Hey guys, recently found this guy

The odd thing is, instead of NINJA the card says HERO. this is definitely a vintage piece, but i can't seem to find any info on these cards, can anyone shed some light?

https://i.imgur.com/YRMZA8Hh.jpg

also notice the bottom part of the card has a yellow sticker running across
https://i.imgur.com/vrmq33oh.jpg

cheers!
Bruno

IndigoErth
06-09-2017, 04:19 PM
"Ninja" wasn't allowed in the UK back in the day, therefor they were "Hero" instead. :) Nice find!

brunobliss
06-09-2017, 04:27 PM
"Ninja" wasn't allowed in the UK back in the day, therefor they were "Hero" instead. :) Nice find!

thank you!

Hmm interesting! I actually found these in Portugal, i assume these are rarer than the usual since i couldn't not find a price reference on ebay, any clue on the value of these ?

Powder
06-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Worth about the same as a US release.

Candy Kappa
06-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Not all that rare. Most European countries that didn't translate the cardbacks got the Hero cards

cinzel
06-10-2017, 04:47 AM
nice find and with the price tag of 2000$00 I'm noticing it wasn't cheap at the time, that would be 10 nowadays

brunobliss
06-10-2017, 04:57 AM
nice find and with the price tag of 2000$00 I'm noticing it wasn't cheap at the time, that would be 10 nowadays

2000$ (portuguese currency before euro) would be nearly 10 today

Turnstone
06-10-2017, 05:22 AM
For me, the "hero" branded toys aren't ic interest. I don't buy bootlegs or imports, despite their rarity, as I only want authentic US backed releases. Maybe that's just me though.

Powder
06-10-2017, 07:34 PM
It's not just you. They're not really worth much because collectors who buy MOC figures largely do so because each character has their own card art, whereas these don't.

TMNT-Leonardo
06-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Why is there a Bandai logo on the right corner?

Candy Kappa
06-23-2017, 02:00 PM
Why is there a Bandai logo on the right corner?

They where the distributor, there's other companies as well that distributed TMNT figures outside of US

discordiatookie
06-23-2017, 02:29 PM
It's not just you. They're not really worth much because collectors who buy MOC figures largely do so because each character has their own card art, whereas these don't.

Agree with you here. I've got some Ninja and some Hero MOC and much prefer the Ninja ones due to the individual character art, as opposed to the more generic Hero ones. Bit annoying, as it was the Hero ones I had as a kid and grew up with.

go_ninja84
06-23-2017, 05:14 PM
isnt this part of the reason they took away Michelangelo's nunchucks and replaced with a grappling hook to air the cartoon in European countries? they deemed nunchucks too violent?

wow prudence back in the day.

Candy Kappa
06-23-2017, 05:35 PM
Nunchaku was illegal in several countries in Europe, still are.

Utrommaniac
06-23-2017, 05:50 PM
So...is anyone else bothered by the huge round buck teeth in the little icon at the bottom back of the package??? It just looks wrong...

go_ninja84
06-23-2017, 07:17 PM
Nunchaku was illegal in several countries in Europe, still are.
Ohh I didn't know they were illegal thought they just seemed violent
How were they allowed to show him with them on back package?

Danetello
06-23-2017, 07:47 PM
I don't buy bootlegs or imports, despite their rarity, as I only want authentic US backed releases. Maybe that's just me though.

What is unauthentic about this? It's still a Playmates toy, and to the European market it was all they had. It's all they knew. Maybe they feel the same about toys that say "Ninja" on them. It's a matter of perspective, and not to be snubbed.

Powder
06-23-2017, 10:20 PM
Think he's just saying his only interest is in official America-only runs.

TMNTChris1980
06-23-2017, 10:59 PM
I have a Casey Jones from Japan. He's a TMNT, not TMHT.

Meow
06-23-2017, 10:59 PM
isnt this part of the reason they took away Michelangelo's nunchucks and replaced with a grappling hook to air the cartoon in European countries? they deemed nunchucks too violent?
Not that I know of. Nunchucks were regularely included for all Mikey Playmates figures, starting with the first 80ies Mikey.
Edit: In the first Turtles movie many scenes did not make it into the EU/UK release, especially ones with nunchucks.
What is unauthentic about this?
Haha :D The statement about non-us releases not being authentic got me too, shook it off quickly though as I got to understand what "they" mean. If card art is individual for each figure in the non-HERO releases alone, I can actually relate why some people prefer to use the word authentic which is definately a better option than "genuine" ^^

And yes, HERO entitled cards were released in the EU market (UK included) while figures and vehicles under that title featured different languages depending on their region. There were also multi-language cards, eg english, german and french. Or the character portrait areas covered with a white sticker from the distributor with the portrait text translated (total no-go by the way!).

Bandai is/was one of the biggest toy companies in the european region way before Playmates was known. When I got to know Playmates through Turtles figures the first time you had Bandai branded toys almost everyhwere for a long while already.

DevilSpooky
06-24-2017, 10:10 AM
So...is anyone else bothered by the huge round buck teeth in the little icon at the bottom back of the package??? It just looks wrong...

What? The little triangle on the bottom right? That's a Lion's head... :trolleye:

Powder
06-24-2017, 03:22 PM
What? The little triangle on the bottom right? That's a Lion's head... :trolleye:

Really?

Leatherhead. She's talking about Leatherhead.

DevilSpooky
06-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Really?

Leatherhead. She's talking about Leatherhead.

She said "little icon", Leatherhead's portait is not a little icon...

Panther10
06-25-2017, 10:48 AM
She said "little icon", Leatherhead's portait is not a little icon...

Read more closely. She was refering to Leatherhead's "Buck teeth" on his portrait. Meaning its an alligator with human teeth instead of reptilian teeth.

Meow
06-25-2017, 11:05 AM
Ok but then the Leatherhead portrait picture is no different than the US card. Maybe this was the confusing part as everyone tried to find something that's not on the US card as well...

DevilSpooky
06-26-2017, 01:51 AM
Read more closely. She was refering to Leatherhead's "Buck teeth" on his portrait. Meaning its an alligator with human teeth instead of reptilian teeth.

I Am reading, I still have some basic reading understanding, she said "on the little Icon" the only "little Icon" on that damn card is the little white triangle, Leatherhead's face in a "portrait" not a "little icon". If she was refering to Leatherhead then why didn't she said something like "So...is anyone else bothered by the huge round buck teeth on Leatherhead at the bottom back of the package??? It just looks wrong..." but no, she specifically said "little Icon"... :trolleye:

Powder
06-26-2017, 02:03 AM
How could you possibly care this much?

DevilSpooky
06-26-2017, 06:47 AM
How could you possibly care this much?

Because you acted like I'm just a stupid newb who doesn't know who the heck Leatherhead is... :tgrumble:

Candy Kappa
06-26-2017, 07:15 AM
... wat. Powder never insinuated that you didn't know who Leatherhead was.

Powder
06-26-2017, 07:40 AM
No idea how he got that impression...

Meow
06-26-2017, 10:49 AM
How about this: We'll wait for Utrommaniac to reply and clear up the situation, probably the air as well ;)

DevilSpooky
06-26-2017, 04:14 PM
... wat. Powder never insinuated that you didn't know who Leatherhead was.

No idea how he got that impression...

It was the "really" part, it came across as condescending.

brunobliss
09-04-2017, 01:47 PM
well, decided to put up one of these guys (Leonardo) on ebay, please move to the market section if this is not correct:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152690983232?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

https://i.imgur.com/cxwHnrmh.jpg

Mzx10484
09-04-2017, 02:33 PM
^^ this is a 1989 release, 20-back like the figure on the left. Not in the best shape, I dare say that it will not bring too much. But never say never... Of course, collecting is a matter of perspective and preferences. I know collectors they pay high prices to get a complete collection of 10-back Hero Turtles and some later releases. Some of them grew up with Hero Turtles, others from the USA completed their Ninja Turtles collection long ago and need new targets. And: the coolest figure of them all, was released on a Hero Turtles card. But of course again, this is my subjective perspective. Best regards from Norway!

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a449/HeroTurtle84/IMG_3060_zpso7sqwcqa.jpg

brunobliss
09-07-2017, 06:07 PM
thank you for your feedback :) i'm mainly a motu\transformers collector (vintage only) and i know what you mean, i grew up with Masters Del Universo (spanish versions of motu) and that's the ones i aim to get, especially if found in Portugal where i live, i go bonkers for them.

And: the coolest figure of them all, was released on a Hero Turtles card

who would that be?

Mzx10484
09-08-2017, 11:25 AM
thank you for your feedback :) i'm mainly a motu\transformers collector (vintage only) and i know what you mean, i grew up with Masters Del Universo (spanish versions of motu) and that's the ones i aim to get, especially if found in Portugal where i live, i go bonkers for them.

who would that be?

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a449/HeroTurtle84/IMG_3080_zpsvdwafuqt.jpg (http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/HeroTurtle84/media/IMG_3080_zpsvdwafuqt.jpg.html)

brunobliss
09-08-2017, 05:27 PM
Wow, that is ODD! I mean, the mass produced shredder was skinny and had a weird stance, that version makes the character justice i guess.

thank you for sharing!

Ninjinister
09-08-2017, 05:36 PM
The fact that I still don't have a carded Purple Armor Super Shredder still haunts me.

DevilSpooky
09-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Wow, that is ODD! I mean, the mass produced shredder was skinny and had a weird stance, that version makes the character justice i guess.

thank you for sharing!

You do know they are 2 different figures right? :teek:

brunobliss
09-11-2017, 01:24 PM
claro. I had the original skinny version, that beefed up one i'd never seen before.

It's always cool to get news from the past :)

DevilSpooky
09-11-2017, 06:58 PM
claro. I had the original skinny version, that beefed up one i'd never seen before.

It's always cool to get news from the past :)

The skinny one is the normal Shredder, this one is the Super Shredder from the second movie, they're not variants, but 2 different figures althogether.

Mzx10484
09-12-2017, 01:51 AM

Check out Toon Shredder, same skinny figure, but painted way more true to the - like its name says - OT.

brunobliss
09-14-2017, 03:43 PM
still prefer the original thou, i feel nostalgic just looking at it on google images :)