PDA

View Full Version : RIP Adam West

plastroncafe
06-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Adam West, TV’s ‘Batman,’ Dies at 88 (https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/adam-west-dead-dies-batman-1202461532/)

Adam West — an actor defined and also constrained by his role in the 1960s series “Batman” — died Friday night in Los Angeles. He was 88. A rep said that he died after a short battle with leukemia.

Born William West Anderson in 1928 in Walla Walla, Wash., the actor later adopted his stage name, and began his career in earnest when he moved to Hawaii in the 1950s to star in a local children’s program.

He is survived by his wife Marcelle, six children, five grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

F*ck Cancer.

snake
06-10-2017, 09:35 AM
This really, really sucks. :(

ZariusTwo
06-10-2017, 09:37 AM
A man who pioneered the art of self-deprecation in the later stages of his career, but above all else, delighted generations of children as the definitive tv Batman.:(

Wesley
06-10-2017, 09:41 AM
RIP Adam West. I didn't know he was ill. Liked his portrayal of Batman in the 1960s series. He was my first introduction to a live-action Batman.

MikeandRaph87
06-10-2017, 09:55 AM
I just saw this on Variety. I was not exoecting it especially with the follow up to the Batman direvt to DVD coming up soon. Kevin Conroy is Batman's voice but Adam West is Batman's soul.:-(

https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2017/tv/news/adam-west-dead-dies-batman-1202461532/amp/

ranger_scout
06-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Aw man. This really hurts. He was such a class act and a fine actor. I was very fortunate to have been able to get a photo with him and Burt Ward two months ago at Fan Expo Dallas. R.I.P. :( He was my first and favorite Batman. R.I.P.

ssjup81
06-10-2017, 10:10 AM
So much no!!! >< Goid grief.

mrmaczaps
06-10-2017, 10:17 AM
Rest in peace Bats.

GoldMutant
06-10-2017, 10:24 AM
Rest easy, Mayor West/Batman/Catman. :cry:

Vicky82
06-10-2017, 10:27 AM
RIP Adam West

CyberCubed
06-10-2017, 11:28 AM
I watched the 60's version as a kid on cable and he also voiced The Gray Ghost episode in B:TAS, among characters in Family Guy and other cartoons. I think he also finished his recording for the new DTV Batman animated moving coming this Fall, so he'll have one final performance as Batman coming later this year.

Very sad. It seems like in the next few years all our childhood actors will pass away.

Vicky82
06-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Brandon Auman said they almost cast him to play Wingnut. :cry:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVKy54IBJY6/?taken-by=brandon_auman

triplexxx
06-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Glad he to be a living legend for so long and kept going 'til the last, keep flying high & enjoy heaven Adam West

TurtleTitan97
06-10-2017, 01:36 PM
This really stinks. :(

RIP

DestronMirage22
06-10-2017, 01:59 PM
This is just some very shocking news. We lost one of the greats. I enjoyed his Batman as a kid, and he will be missed by many.
Rest In Peace 'ol chum. :(

MikeandRaph87
06-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Brandon Auman said they almost cast him to play Wingnut. :cry:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVKy54IBJY6/?taken-by=brandon_auman

It was such a dumb concept yet it would be freaking awesome simply because of Adam West! Adam West and Ninja Turtles so close yet never to be.:( You are quite the informant today,Vicky.

Edit:
Coola, there could always be Mayor Burt Ward, his unknown vice-mayor once Mayor Adam West retires to paradise. Now its up to Seth McFarlene and Burt Ward,but it would be a perfect tribute and not killing him off per se,but retiring to paradise could imply that.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Kevin Conroy is Batman's voice but Adam West is Batman's soul.:-(

So true. The spirit of Batman has fallen.

This is just some very shocking news. We lost one of the greats. I enjoyed his Batman as a kid, and he will be missed by many.
Rest In Peace 'ol chum. :(

This.

Coola Yagami
06-10-2017, 02:59 PM
I was shocked when I heard the news, and when I told my co-workers noone believed me until they Googled it for themselves (TBH, I did the same thing). It's hard to believe that he's really gone.

I do wonder if Family Guy will suddenly kill off Mayor West or just make him not appear and have some new Mayor take over.

CyberCubed
06-10-2017, 03:07 PM
Good thing there's a new DTV 60's Batman movie coming out this Fall. It'll be Adam West's last performance as Batman, and last thing he ever made in general.

turtle1237
06-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Though I like the dark Batman better IE BTAS, Keaton Batman, and the Dark Knight films, With out Adam West and his version of Batman, We may not have the Batman we have today. It was a major hit in the 1960's, and even when the show was over, it was still on reruns for decades after the fact. It had lasting impact. I loved Batman so much I did pick up West's Batman the complete series I think a year ago. Adam West was a TV legend, and a tv great. He will be miss. As a kid in the 1980's predated the 89 Keaton, West was Batman as I saw the reruns on TV almost every day.

BubblyShell22
06-10-2017, 04:30 PM
This totally sucks. I grew up on his version of Batman and loved it as corny as it was. He will definitely be missed and I loved his role in Family Guy as the mayor too.

"Nobody messes with Adam We."

He will definitely be missed and I hope FG does a tribute to him at some point.

Optimus Primer
06-10-2017, 04:44 PM
I was shocked when I heard the news, and when I told my co-workers noone believed me until they Googled it for themselves (TBH, I did the same thing). It's hard to believe that he's really gone.

I do wonder if Family Guy will suddenly kill off Mayor West or just make him not appear and have some new Mayor take over.

I didn't believe it at first either. Rest in peace, Adam West. You are and will be my favorite Batman, and will be missed. :tsad:

CyberCubed
06-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Well he was 88 years old. It's not as much a surprise that he passed away as with say Carrie Fisher who was only in her 60's and her passing away that young was a travesty. As long as you make it to 80 or older, I'd say you lived a nice long life.

Adam West will always be remembered and the 60's Batman show will be rewatched till the end of time.

TigerClaw
06-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Adam West will always be my Batman.

TheCanadiandrome
06-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Ditto, a part of me died along with him. RIP good sir. Truely nothing but pure West

sdp
06-10-2017, 11:20 PM
For the longest time I only knew of Adam West for his parodies or tributes to the Batman '66 show, it wasn't until later that I actually got to see the show it was trying to parody.

He seemed like a really cool guy that got to embrace his legacy and became more loved because of it. I remember when the 66 show was stuck in licensing hell he decided to record audio commentary for every episode just in case it was ever released on DVD. I wonder if they actually used those, but I guess not.

BubblyShell22
06-11-2017, 06:17 AM
When I watched the news last night, they said he died from a short battle with leukemia which is just a shame that it spread so fast. Cancer sucks. They also showed a clip of Adam on their morning show and it was hilarious.

myconius
06-11-2017, 06:57 AM
Adam West was such a sweet sweet man when i was lucky enough to get the chance to meet him. i was SO nervous!
by the time it was finally my turn i tried my best to express how much he had meant to me and my childhood, i started becoming so overwhelmed that i was unable to speak and i my eyes started tearing up.

Adam was so gracious.
he put his hands together and nodded with a slight bow.
his speechless gesture had said it all, and it was such a warm and wonderful moment.

May his soul Rest in Peace.

CyberCubed
06-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Has anyone gone back to watch a few episodes of the old Batman show because of this? I went back to watch a few random episodes, I don't have time to marathon the whole show. But I watched some eps with Joker, Penguin, Riddler or Catwoman since they're the main villains.

MikeandRaph87
06-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Has anyone gone back to watch a few episodes of the old Batman show because of this? I went back to watch a few random episodes, I don't have time to marathon the whole show. But I watched some eps with Joker, Penguin, Riddler or Catwoman since they're the main villains.

ME TV airs it every Saturday night at midnight. I miss when it was on 7pm to 8pm,but I have it tape on the DVR each week. I saw the Lord Ffog three parter towards the series end last Wednesday afternoon and still watch the show at least two to three times a month. Look for ME TV to have some type of marathon in his honor in the next week. Probably will tkae over the Sci-fi Saturday block next Saturday. I do wish the Digital First comic continued. It was fun. Like the Boom's MMMPR series it had no $ constraints and was constantly more interesting than the Court of The Owls in New 52 that was going on concurrently with it. Batman was gotten eternally darker this day without the light of West making the character open to many interpretations. I suppose it is fitting that the sun sets in the West.

myconius
06-11-2017, 02:53 PM
my set is a little buried under other dvds at the moment.
i'll have to do a bit of excavating first before i can watch it. :)

my favorite episodes were always the ones with Joker and/or Catwoman.

BubblyShell22
06-12-2017, 06:32 AM
Yeah, I'm sure ME TV will air a marathon of some sort to honor him and that would be cool to see.

MikeandRaph87
06-14-2017, 07:36 PM
As expected METV is doing a marathon tribute to Adam.However, its longer and more unique than the usual three hour block such as what was done with the great Mary Tyler Moore. Adam will be honored with Best of West from 9am EST Saturday through 1am Sunday (16 hours worth). It will include other programs along with Batman(1966).

In other news...
In light of the unexpected news of the spirit of Batman entering Heaven Warner Bros. has confirmed that Batman vs Two Face follow up to Return of the Caped Crusaders is completed and will have a release date announced soon. Expect November like the previous animated film.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/adam-west-completed-final-batman-performance-new-animated-movie-death-152725212.html

The Deadman
06-15-2017, 02:58 AM
Los Angeles to Pay Tribute to Adam West By Lighting the Bat Signal
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/858895-adam-west-bat-signal#mfSEqPolclwMBd2Z.99

turtle1237
06-15-2017, 09:34 PM
As expected METV is doing a marathon tribute to Adam.However, its longer and more unique than the usual three hour block such as what was done with the great Mary Tyler Moore. Adam will be honored with Best of West from 9am EST Saturday through 1am Sunday (16 hours worth). It will include other programs along with Batman(1966).

In other news...
In light of the unexpected news of the spirit of Batman entering Heaven Warner Bros. has confirmed that Batman vs Two Face follow up to Return of the Caped Crusaders is completed and will have a release date announced soon. Expect November like the previous animated film.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/adam-west-completed-final-batman-performance-new-animated-movie-death-152725212.html

Will his role as Breathtaker from the Black Scorpion TV show get a mention? West was a great villain in that tv show and it was a thrill to see his Breathtaker show up and battle the female hero Black Scorpion.

MikeandRaph87
06-15-2017, 10:14 PM
Will his role as Breathtaker from the Black Scorpion TV show get a mention? West was a great villain in that tv show and it was a thrill to see his Breathtaker show up and battle the female hero Black Scorpion.

http://www.metv.com/stories/metv-pays-tribute-to-adam-west-all-day-saturday-june-17

This should give you the answer. Also, check your DVR box fir local listings.

LeotheLateBloomer
06-15-2017, 10:38 PM

I actually watched the 1966 movie the other day. Still holds up to this day.

"Somedays, you just can't get rid of a bomb."

Somedays, you just can't get rid of camp.