PDA

View Full Version : Favorite youtubers

Vegita-San
06-13-2017, 07:53 AM
I used to look d own on youtubers. most where so egotistical and in it for the money, that you just couldn't take them seriously.

a few seemed genuine, like the Chad Vader guys. but then the feigbuster debacle happened. i found a few new favorites not afraid to speak against sillyness..

here are a few that I enjoy listening too from time to time

NMOtFTKCnBQ

WKZWmzuvFA8
hW4Wxw0oOfo
what are yours?

FredWolfLeonardo
06-13-2017, 08:24 AM
Mine are:

1. BlastphamousHD
2. Be Busta
3. Channel Awesome
4. ScrewAttack
5. McJuggernuggets

plastroncafe
06-13-2017, 08:26 AM
Ask a Mortician
zBDYpj334NE

Escape
YsfTKj7VBAA

MovieBob
kol6rHs5RtQ

Feminist Frequency
bLF6sAAMb4s

Vlog Brothers
x78PnPd-V-A

The Brain Scoop
uzKFeAge3o4

And then there's the Entire Crash Course library: https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse

TigerClaw
06-13-2017, 03:12 PM
Andre "Black Nerd"

ejamAE9D6FQ

Candy Kappa
06-13-2017, 03:20 PM
I mostly keep tabs on Pixel Dan, Lindsay Ellis, Mike J, Vangelus, ShartimusPrime, Hugo & Jake, Key of Awesome, Bat in the Sun and Game Grumps.

Utrommaniac
06-13-2017, 04:41 PM
I think there was another thread like this somewhere???

Anyway mine are usually

Bobsheaux
jIE61gTUU4A

TREY the Explainer
YF_SY7qS5S0

Game Grumps
fhW0W5OfdOg

Mysterious Mr Enter
Lh-7GssaBIM
(The review that made me want to check out Bojack Horseman)

Lindsey Ellis
syYCO0QVkZo

There's more, but these are all I'm bothered to gather for the moment.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-13-2017, 05:03 PM
I only really follow one. ItsJustSomeRandomGuy. He does Marvel/DC parody videos using superhero action figures in stop-motion annimation shorts. They started as simple parodies of the PC/Mac commercials but now he has a running series of stories set in a hero/villain hangout bar. Called "Marvel/DC After Hours". The characters lament about their movies, fight each other, get drunk and make cracks about each other's fans, comics, movies, and costumes. Funny stuff.

TigerClaw
06-13-2017, 05:33 PM
I only really follow one. ItsJustSomeRandomGuy. He does Marvel/DC parody videos using superhero action figures in stop-motion annimation shorts. They started as simple parodies of the PC/Mac commercials but now he has a running series of stories set in a hero/villain hangout bar. Called "Marvel/DC After Hours". The characters lament about their movies, fight each other, get drunk and make cracks about each other's fans, comics, movies, and costumes. Funny stuff.
I follow him too, but he hasn't posted new videos for some time, and I wish he did parodies for TMNT using there figures too.

Cure
06-13-2017, 06:56 PM
Rags is cool. I usually agree with what he has to say about representation in media and whatnot.

OeEpPiqQ2Ik

ProphetofGanja
06-13-2017, 06:59 PM
Charlie from Emergency Awesome
i4UX6Qkktto

and the Nerdist crew, Dan, Kyle, and Jessica
FBNPa76_izk

Vegita-San
06-13-2017, 07:01 PM
it's amazing how many of them are and we can probably have a dozen posters and not one person repeat someone.

there's also a guy that explores abandoned buildings. sadly by breaking into most.

he did an amazing tour of nickelodean studios in florida that is sadly gone.

plastroncafe
06-13-2017, 07:02 PM
How the heck did I forget to mention How It Should Have Ended (https://www.youtube.com/user/HISHEdotcom)?

For shame, Plas. For shame.

Wildcat
06-13-2017, 11:51 PM
Gamester81
James Rolfe
Optibotimus
PixelDan
DangerDolan
Slapped Ham

I visit others that have been mentioned now and then. It depends on the subject and of course various videos that I come across.

ProactiveMan
06-14-2017, 02:08 AM
I like a lot of Channels, but these are some that haven't been mentioned already.

kAsdVB8-UHw

VLwtTspfRzc

jK4A-zm6RW0

A1CR2nKhuEs

2pMSD7WLPW0

I also like Auralnauts, Game Chasers, Pixel Dan, Liana K, Comicbook Girl 19, Cinemassacre, Red Letter Media, Metal Jesus Rocks and friends, Alachia Queen, and probably a million others that I can't remember.

DestronMirage22
06-15-2017, 12:18 AM
Lavendertowne-Her art style is wonderful and her videos are really helpful
2pkSRhZphn8

Classic Game Room/Lord Karnage-His videos have always been funny and his reviews are great
XzBIj4gNSro

Phelous-A VERY funny guy who reviews and does videos about my favorite stuff (bootlegs, movies, toys, etc.). He's also a member here
_EvscPuJbOU

Team Four Star-Been watching their videos for yeara, they just keep on getting better
BGV6QjtdulY

Honest Trailers/Honest Game Trailers-The channels these videos are posted on my be horrible, but these series' are great
_qIRtFE6aIc
TR7r4PlNeOY

Krutch
04-12-2018, 07:10 PM
So, uh... Channel Awesome pretty much imploded this week, huh?

ProactiveMan
04-12-2018, 10:54 PM
It's been falling apart for years. A lot of the stuff in that Google doc has been floating around for quite a while if you knew where to look. The site has always had its detractors, and some of them are fairly vociferous, so when a contributor would leave they would often spill their guts and word would spread pretty fast.

They've weathered incidents that were arguably as damaging as the Google doc before, but there wasn't as big of an ecosystem of 'drama videos' at the time, so it was all pretty-much contained. There's been a fairly steady stream of contributors leaving for a long time, and some of them have been pretty vocal about how poor the site was managed. The Google doc is really just a compilation of old grievances with a couple of new ones thrown in.

Itís an interesting read Ė it doesnít really contradict anything Iíve read/heard in the past, although there are some questionable things in there that are possible only included to poison the well so to speak. It paints a picture of a business venture run by people who donít know what they are doing, and have their heads in the clouds, and I think thatís management and contributors alike.

Good news is, everyone on the site has their own YouTube presence nowadays, so who needs CA anyway.

sdp
04-12-2018, 11:31 PM
I never liked The Nostalgia Critic or his channel or any of his creators for the most part. I actually disliked that type of videos and how popular they got because of him.

With that said I actually have to give him credit for helping create the current wave of youtubers that were influenced by him not to mention that all the people turning their back on the channel now or just throwing crap likely wouldn't have been anybody without him and the channel. Ironic.

I also agree with Proactive Man and from what I saw there's nothing too bad, I mean many companies are run poorly, the creators were choosing to stay there, they were indeed amateurs running a business. I mean what did they expect? Some of it most likely is fake as well but blends in perfectly with all the real stuff. The JW situation is likely the worst but that's more on him than on the channel, they did what they could once they realized it.

So yeah, I don't really think all this drama is even logical but I think "outrage culture" has become a thing and people just like to see things burn down for the sake of being entertained with the drama.

dl316bh
04-12-2018, 11:52 PM
It's interesting to think about what Channel Awesome and crew could have done had they pulled their heads out of their asses, but time has kind of passed them by.

I never liked The Nostalgia Critic or his channel or any of his creators for the most part. I actually disliked that type of videos and how popular they got because of him.
I thought the Critic was fun for a little while, but enough time passes, you realize he doesn't really have much to say, any insight or even ability to explain why any given thing is bad in the movie. Or, failing that, genuine wit or comedy. It's mostly just a guy getting mad at them and, frankly, that gets pretty old if there's nothing else, which is probably why that style of reviewer went out of fashion years ago. It's not a huge surprise that a lot of the people under him - the undercard of TGWTG or Channel Awesome, to borrow a wrestling term - ended up proving to have more talent than he did, or ability to go further.

---

I don't really watch a lot of Youtubers these days. One or two gaming Youtubers I liked either stopped being all that funny, turned out to be pieces of crap or a combination of the two in the past couple years, so I ended up dropping them and never really got into any new ones. Of what's left - of whom I don't follow with any regularity - there's just...

- Game Grumps
- Markiplier
- Red Letter Media
- Continue?
- hbomberguy

That's, geez, less than I thought I was still bothering with. Other than that, on the more music side, I follow stuff like...

- FamilyJules
- NewRetroWave
- Tanuki
- Mothership Loudspeakerz
- Maciej Dąbrowski

Andrew NDB
04-12-2018, 11:55 PM
I wish Spoony was still doing stuff on the regular. He and I have like the exact same taste in games and movies, particularly growing up.

Powder
04-13-2018, 12:00 AM
In no particular order:

Cinemassacre
Ashens/Barshens
Jontron
Did You Know Gaming
Beta64
Pilotredsun
RRcherrypie
Decocookie
Japanesestuffchannel
Fail Army
The Best Fails
RetroSFX
Bulby
OlegBerg
98DEMAKE
Pogo
Silvermania (RIP)
Yo! Pause Da 90s (RIP)
Underbelly (RIP)

& then there's a host of official channels belong to comic/radio talent, musicians, etc, as well as random people who actively upload clips/episodes/songs of stuff I like.

all that stuff

Agreed.

dl316bh
04-13-2018, 12:04 AM
I wish Spoony was still doing stuff on the regular. He and I have like the exact same taste in games and movies, particularly growing up.
Haha, you just immediately pointed out one of the guys I was thinking of in particular when I said "undercard guys who had more talent or wit". Spoony knew what he was doing, even in regard to things I didn't like. One thing I always hated with the early content creators - especially Channel Awesome guys, some of whom still do it to this day - are all the skits they do, but Spoony had it down to a science. Spoony was the Ramones of skits; he knew to keep it short and when to get the f*** out. Plus he usually just did them for quick jokes. Whether it were games or movies, he had wit and could point out where they went wrong in an entertaining way. It helped that, occasionally it felt like there were real feelings there rather than all simply being a character, such as when he discussed the connection he had with Ultima and his brother. I miss stuff like Rebruary, too.

It's a shame he's completely vanished. No one even knows if he's alright anymore.

Autbot_Benz
04-13-2018, 12:16 AM
Game Grumps
Lindsay Ellis
Cinamassacre
Mike Jeavons
Angry Joe
Screen Junkies
Black Nerd
Comicbookgirl19
Chris Stuckman
Collider
Jontron
Linkara
Ninja Sex Party
I used to be a Channel Awesome fan but after what has been going down lately I #changedthechannel and Unsubscribed. I still watch some of the current CA people only on there personal youtube channels

Andrew NDB
04-13-2018, 02:30 AM
Haha, you just immediately pointed out one of the guys I was thinking of in particular when I said "undercard guys who had more talent or wit". Spoony knew what he was doing, even in regard to things I didn't like. One thing I always hated with the early content creators - especially Channel Awesome guys, some of whom still do it to this day - are all the skits they do, but Spoony had it down to a science. Spoony was the Ramones of skits; he knew to keep it short and when to get the f*** out. Plus he usually just did them for quick jokes. Whether it were games or movies, he had wit and could point out where they went wrong in an entertaining way. It helped that, occasionally it felt like there were real feelings there rather than all simply being a character, such as when he discussed the connection he had with Ultima and his brother. I miss stuff like Rebruary, too.

It's a shame he's completely vanished. No one even knows if he's alright anymore.

Yeah, I never felt for a moment Spoony was playing a part. He seemed as riled up about the same stuff I'd been riled up about. Just more eloquently and entertainingly.

The "man in a hat" or whatever... could never get into that. Super forced character. Forced sensationalism. Same as I can't voluntarily watch something like Rachel Maddow.

ProactiveMan
04-13-2018, 02:47 AM
Do you find that you hardly ever watch channels or types of videos anymore, that at one time you couldnít get enough of? Iíve lost track of quite a few in the past year or so. Sometimes the content dries up, but I also find that the format of a lot of channels gets repetitive and tedious after a while.

I canít watch any of the short-form factoid style videos anymore, like Whatculture or Watch Mojo. I used to like them, but Iíve seen a few too many on topics that I know a lot about, and find theyíre full of inaccuracies, so I have to question how much of their other stuff is horse crap. Pop culture theory channels make me want to drill a hole in my brain. I donít know where some of these chumps learned critical analysis, but Iíve eaten avocados that could do a better job, and with more charisma too.

Wesley
04-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Off the top of my head

1. AbdallahSmash026
2. chuggaaconroy
3. MasaeAnela

dl316bh
04-13-2018, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I never felt for a moment Spoony was playing a part. He seemed as riled up about the same stuff I'd been riled up about. Just more eloquently and entertainingly.

The "man in a hat" or whatever... could never get into that. Super forced character. Forced sensationalism. Same as I can't voluntarily watch something like Rachel Maddow.
Sadly, it probably would have spoke better of his mental health if it was just a character. Turned out Spoony was just kind of an angry, surly guy with a lot of issues. But it worked on screen because it felt genuine and it didn't feel like he went overboard, to me.

Do you find that you hardly ever watch channels or types of videos anymore, that at one time you couldnít get enough of? Iíve lost track of quite a few in the past year or so. Sometimes the content dries up, but I also find that the format of a lot of channels gets repetitive and tedious after a while.

I canít watch any of the short-form factoid style videos anymore, like Whatculture or Watch Mojo. I used to like them, but Iíve seen a few too many on topics that I know a lot about, and find theyíre full of inaccuracies, so I have to question how much of their other stuff is horse crap. Pop culture theory channels make me want to drill a hole in my brain. I donít know where some of these chumps learned critical analysis, but Iíve eaten avocados that could do a better job, and with more charisma too.
You just named two I don't really watch much anymore. Watch Mojo were fine for the lists, but you can also only watch so many of those before it really becomes a "once in a while" thing, plus I kind of hated the voice of one of the guy who did them. WhatCulture is... WhatCulture, I guess. I only recently learned they even did pop culture stuff on a broader level, since they were born out of wrestling (the What in particular being a catchphrase and chant once used by Stone Cold Steve Austin). Never seemed like something to take seriously.

One big one that I stopped watching about two years ago and finally unsubscribed from about a year ago is Jontron.

PApagreg
04-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Angry Joe
Superbunnyhop
Neebs Gaming
GGGmanlives
ACG
Bennet the Sage
Superbestfriends play
Little Kuriboh(THE OG)
TFS/TFS Gaming/Four Star Bento
BlazingAzureCrow
Something Witty Entertainment
Mother's Basement
Rebel Taxi
Secular Talk
Darkmatter2525
Drunken Peasants/Deep Fat Fried
PotHoler54
Gonzo Otaku Journalist(Foramally known as Digibro)
Gigguk
GodzillaMendoza(the youngest person on this list)

CyberCubed
04-13-2018, 11:49 AM
I am over the age of 30 so the whole youtube generation is something after my time. When I watch youtube videos I just type in whatever I want to see, or a trailer for a movie, or an episode/clip of a show/movie I want to find. I don't actually follow any youtubers, or listen to people rant about whatever for 20-30 minutes.

As said I wonder if it has to do with my age. I was born in the 80's, when youtube came out in 2005 I was already 20 years old. So the whole "youtuber" generation thing happened after I was already in College. In fact I didn't even know people even made money on youtube till 2013 or so.

It's the same reason I don't go on social media unless I'm lurking what people say in specific fandoms, because I am a "forum dweller" from the late 90's and early 2000's. I guess I'm an old man now.

Andrew NDB
04-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Redlettermedia is technically a Youtube show. That's where they upload. I watch that left and right all the time.

Jester
04-13-2018, 12:23 PM
What's a paladin?

Autbot_Benz
04-13-2018, 12:43 PM
I am over the age of 30 so the whole youtube generation is something after my time. When I watch youtube videos I just type in whatever I want to see, or a trailer for a movie, or an episode/clip of a show/movie I want to find. I don't actually follow any youtubers, or listen to people rant about whatever for 20-30 minutes.

As said I wonder if it has to do with my age. I was born in the 80's, when youtube came out in 2005 I was already 20 years old. So the whole "youtuber" generation thing happened after I was already in College. In fact I didn't even know people even made money on youtube till 2013 or so.

It's the same reason I don't go on social media unless I'm lurking what people say in specific fandoms, because I am a "forum dweller" from the late 90's and early 2000's. I guess I'm an old man now.

https://i.imgur.com/A2HIbKT.jpg

Andrew NDB
04-13-2018, 12:50 PM
What's a paladin?

That was great stuff.

dl316bh
04-13-2018, 01:00 PM
Funnily enough, I may have liked the Runes of Ultima videos best out of the entire series, which would probably not be the first choice of most.

sdp
04-13-2018, 02:06 PM

Quit acting like you're super old, we're around the same age and social media hit big when I was still in High School with myspace, at the same time youtube also hit it big this was 2005 so the "youtuber" subculture had already started with the likes of AVGN and the like which all current youtubers have evolved from whether they think of it or not.

These are very much "our" generations thing. If you had already finished HS before 2000 then yeah this might not've been your thing but it's our generation that started this "new" world you speak off.

Krutch
04-13-2018, 02:45 PM
The only Channel Awesome crew I ever watched was occasionally Nostalgia Critic, but whenever it opened with a weirdass skit I'd immediately close it.

I guess Linkara's history of Power Rangers was always fun for a bake and watch, though.

As far as YouTubers that I follow... I can only think of two.

PSVR Without Parole is great if you're in the VR community and over 30. It's just a channel that's constantly pumping out quality stuff that isn't in your face with over the top personalities and forced memes.

Passion of the Nerd is great for getting people into Buffy, and his episode guide breakdowns are seriously good education...
DYPF0hgPjzY

plastroncafe
04-13-2018, 02:49 PM
Yeah no kidding. I'm older than Cubed and even I have new favorite people on Youtube.

Sailor J.
She's funny as all get out.

Vegita-San
04-13-2018, 04:09 PM
Quit acting like you're super old, we're around the same age and social media hit big when I was still in High School with myspace, at the same time youtube also hit it big this was 2005 so the "youtuber" subculture had already started with the likes of AVGN and the like which all current youtubers have evolved from whether they think of it or not.

These are very much "our" generations thing. If you had already finished HS before 2000 then yeah this might not've been your thing but it's our generation that started this "new" world you speak off.

so, cube is over the age of 30 and claims i'm the ancient one approaching 40, huh? ahh, the world of the insane, what a confusing one to live in.......but, the sane learn more each day.....

CyberCubed
04-13-2018, 04:32 PM
so, cube is over the age of 30 and claims i'm the ancient one approaching 40, huh? ahh, the world of the insane, what a confusing one to live in.......but, the sane learn more each day.....

Is 40 not 10 years older than being in my early 30's? Is 40 not considered "middle age?"

I mean, what point are you trying to make here? You're still nearly 10 years older than me. You're even older than Andrew.

Cure
04-13-2018, 04:52 PM
His point is that you may be young but you still harp on about "your generation" and this imaginary divide between you and "young kids of today". You use it as an excuse to willfully stay ignorant.

Prowler
04-13-2018, 04:56 PM
I follow several channels but nearly none are individual channels really. Closest exception to it is Cinemassacre, which is ran by Mike Matei and James Rolfe aka the Angry Video game Nerd. Been a fan since 2006, when the channel was still named JamesNintendoNerd.

I remember when Spoony only had like 2 videos out. One of them being a review of Bayou Billy's for the NES. I never expected him to become a well known youtuber back then.

Andrew NDB
04-15-2018, 03:35 AM
His point is that you may be young but you still harp on about "your generation" and this imaginary divide between you and "young kids of today". You use it as an excuse to willfully stay ignorant.

No he doesn't. He's very aware. He is to forums as "man in the hat" is to Youtube.

Which I don't mean in a bad way.

Cure
04-15-2018, 04:45 AM
I don't know what that means, but OK.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-15-2018, 05:54 PM
I only really subscribe to one Youtuber- It'sJustSomeRandomGuy. He does the Im A Marvel/DC videos with the action figures, and they are really funny. He also has the After Hours vids, which are more story oriented.

Ninjinister
04-15-2018, 05:59 PM
Y'idunno, these YouTube randos are pretty unentertaining and have irritating personalities to me. It's like the worst personae of the internet given a bullhorn.

I guess like Stuart Ashen is the only one who I follow who's there on a regular basis? Really most of what I watch don't have an active "person" to identify with, stuff like boss fights without the screeching wanker commentary, where it's just... gameplay and that's it.

The Deadman
04-15-2018, 08:29 PM
AndyWarski
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2h3yPmh9TfQv2z3aTDTHHA

Mister Metokur
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfYbb7nga6-icsFWWgS-kWw

Tonkasaw
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvUSer_M2VGaBY-MFlUeShg

TheTimTracker
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTimTracker

Krutch
04-15-2018, 10:54 PM
I only really subscribe to one Youtuber- It'sJustSomeRandomGuy. He does the Im A Marvel/DC videos with the action figures, and they are really funny. He also has the After Hours vids, which are more story oriented.

Does he still put out new stuff? I stopped checking after he went cold for a few years.

plastroncafe
04-15-2018, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say I love that guy's work...but I thought he went dormant a while ago.

Ooh Ze Frank is another favorite of mine.

ProactiveMan
04-16-2018, 12:09 AM
I've been following April Wilkerson for a while now. Pretty cool if you like making things (or watching people make things). She's currently building a workshop.

Shark_Blade
04-16-2018, 12:59 AM
PfuxGQ2_s-4

FredWolfLeonardo
04-16-2018, 01:03 AM
My taste in Youtubers has changed in 2016, though I still really like the Youtubers from my previous list. Some of my other favourites are: (in no particular order)

1. False Swipe Gaming (Pokemon competitive analysis videos)

2. Lazy Masquerade/Be Busta (horror story narrators, also other youtubers making these type of videos would fit here)

3. Elpresador (Not doing anything notable at the moment, but really enjoy his past videos raging at Call of Duty, trolling xbox/ps fanboys. He was the ultimate troll back in the day).

4. Planet Dolan (Making top 10 lists, many other big channels also doing this but I have the most memories with this channel, funnily enough called Danger Dolan in the past).

5. Stoned Gremlin Productions (nothing better than listening to his Midnight screening reviews when I have nothing else to do! Very funny overall)

6. Phelous (Not a big fan of Bootleg videos, but I really enjoy his reviews of knock off movies and like his tmnt stuff as well).

7. Hitler Rants Parodies (Title says all :lol:)

8.Yamimash (Started watching him during the Slender craze, also like some of his Pokemon walkthroughs. I like him much better than Pewdiepie).

9. Angry Grandpa (Sad to see one of the most iconic Youtubers who has never failed to make us laugh pass away. Really love the stuff on his channel as well as related channels like KidbehindaCamera etc.)

10. TheWarOwl (Counter-Strike player, love his in depth analysis playthroughs and his deleted Scenes walkthrough is one of the funniest ive seen in a while).

Utrommaniac
04-16-2018, 01:32 AM
It is a little funny how Phelous' videos have changed. Didn't he used to do horror films?

But that's fine with me, I enjoy the knock-off movies so much more.

ProactiveMan
04-16-2018, 01:54 AM
He does a lot of urban explorer type videos now too, like exploring abandoned buildings and things. I like his Bootleg videos... not sure what to make of Mortal Komedy.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-16-2018, 09:19 PM
Does he still put out new stuff? I stopped checking after he went cold for a few years.

Yeah, I was gonna say I love that guy's work...but I thought he went dormant a while ago.

Ooh Ze Frank is another favorite of mine.

He does once in a while, at least I still get updates every now and then.

Vegita-San
04-19-2018, 05:41 AM
Mundane Matt changed his name?

Guess he didn't care for all the negativity...

but, when you change your tune on calling out bad movies, people get upset ;o)..