PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Universe #11 Preview and Discussion

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-16-2017, 02:21 PM
Because it needs its own thread:

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/previews/tmnt-universe-11/

Utrommaniac
06-16-2017, 02:27 PM
He's a coyote! I told you! I told you all!

Hopefully things go well and Hob can bite down his pride on having a dog around.

CyberCubed
06-16-2017, 02:29 PM
Hm, don't really care for Dreadmon's design here, although it might just be this particular artists style and he'll look very different when he appears in the main series. I'm hoping we can find out more about what Null is trying to do overall, it's like all these little images of her are there to remind us she still exists, but she's mostly been on the sidelines since her introduction.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-16-2017, 02:34 PM
Hm, don't really care for Dreadmon's design here, although it might just be this particular artists style and he'll look very different when he appears in the main series. I'm hoping we can find out more about what Null is trying to do overall, it's like all these little images of her are there to remind us she still exists, but she's mostly been on the sidelines since her introduction.

At this point, Null has been teased before her storyline more than Leatherhead or Bishop were. :tlol:

CyberCubed
06-16-2017, 02:36 PM
Yeah, and since she's not involved with either the Pantheon or Dimension X...she's kinda separated from everything else going on. The most hints we have is her and Bishop or Baxter going to war together, but even then that's not a guarantee.

ChosenOne
06-16-2017, 02:39 PM
Huh... Could've sworn Dreadmon was a maned wolf. Would have gone better with the South American motif the character has going on (or at least he did back in Archie), too. I sure hope he joins the Mutanimals and doesn't just become another loose cannon, we have plenty of those already!

neatoman
06-16-2017, 02:40 PM

Hopefully things go well and Hob can bite down his pride on having a dog around.

Well that's excellent, all we need now is a Roadrunner.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ee/Roadrunner_looney_tunes.png

Utrommaniac
06-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Huh... Could've sworn Dreadmon was a maned wolf. Would have gone better with the South American motif the character has going on (or at least he did back in Archie), too. I sure hope he joins the Mutanimals and doesn't just become another loose cannon, we have plenty of those already!

My thinking for the moment is that he's a mutated human, but just for now. Which would explain the purple mowhawk and clothing aesthetic.

But since Dreadmon is mistaken for the Jersey Devil - which is usually just country bumpkins seeing a (mangey?) coyote, sometimes through beer goggles, and freaking out. Given the location, coyote makes the most sense.

Maned wolves are usually a lot redder and have black "socks".

Looking at the way Sally and Man Ray are sassing around and teasing each other, it's safe to say that they're probably the closest of the Mutanimals. Not that close, since Man Ray is...not Sally's type.

ProphetofGanja
06-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Wow, I really love this art. Super stoked for this

Powder
06-16-2017, 04:46 PM
Don't care for the art or character design on Dreadmon. Oh well.

TigerClaw
06-16-2017, 05:37 PM
I think Dreadmon looks cool, no matter if he's a Coyote or Wolf.

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/wp-content/themes/mvc/images/timthumb.php?src=http://multiversitystatic.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2017/06/TMNT-Universe-11-Page-5.jpg&q=95&w=588&zc=1&a=t

I think he would be fine having a canine being a part of the Mutanimals, he once tried to get Alopex to join him.

ChosenOne
06-16-2017, 05:49 PM
Speaking of his (great) design... Now that I notice it, Dreadmon and Bebop totally have to meet up at some point and discuss hair styles. :lol:

Utrommaniac
06-16-2017, 05:53 PM
...he's a coyote. Wolves don't have that color, face shape, or frame. In reference to Maned Wolves, they're not actually wolves.

Now, that guy that had the mutagen pack was definitely a wolf.

TigerClaw
06-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Its interesting that they went with Dreadmon being a coyote this time, though we already had a mutant coyote in the TMNT archie comics, a story that took place 100 years in the future, Raph was married to a mutant coyote name Mezcaal.

martinitolove
06-17-2017, 02:36 PM
Who is the mutant Ray kills in that review? Look like Bebop...

CyberCubed
06-17-2017, 02:49 PM
Who is the mutant Ray kills in that review? Look like Bebop...

Just a random mutant design, nobody important.

ProphetofGanja
06-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Just a random mutant design, nobody important.

To me it almost looks like a seal

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Read the preview again.

Damned if Dreadmon doesn't look EXACTLY like Wile E. Coyote in that one panel.

Cannot unsee it...

ProphetofGanja
06-19-2017, 12:05 PM
Read the preview again.

Damned if Dreadmon doesn't look EXACTLY like Wile E. Coyote in that one panel.

Cannot unsee it...

Great, now I'm going to be reading this issue with all those old school cartoon sound effects in my head :lol:

TurtleWA
06-19-2017, 12:09 PM
I'm trying to figure out what issue the new tricked out van will appear in. I assume street scenes or traveling will be required. I don't see that happening in #71 of the ongoing but maybe in TMTU #11. Any thoughts?

ProphetofGanja
06-19-2017, 12:14 PM
I'm trying to figure out what issue the new tricked out van will appear in. I assume street scenes or traveling will be required. I don't see that happening in #71 of the ongoing but maybe in TMTU #11. Any thoughts?

I don't think we'll see the Turtles much if at all in TMNTU #11, but I guess we'll know soon

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-19-2017, 12:15 PM

#76 at the earliest.

DestronMirage22
06-19-2017, 12:17 PM

I doubt in TMNTU #11 since the main focus will be on some of the Mutanimals.
Maybe they take it on their trip to the Pantheon's reunion? If that's the case it probably won't be tricked out, but they need a way to get there.

TurtleWA
06-19-2017, 12:32 PM
I don't think we'll see the Turtles much if at all in TMNTU #11, but I guess we'll know soon

#76 at the earliest.

I doubt in TMNTU #11 since the main focus will be on some of the Mutanimals.
Maybe they take it on their trip to the Pantheon's reunion? If that's the case it probably won't be tricked out, but they need a way to get there.

Yeah I suppose since the idea of remodeling the van was in 70, creative could let it simmer for awhile and wait until 76 for some epic reveal. 76 is very specific guess, what do you know? :)

The turtles don't have to be the ones driving it though, anything could happen. Stolen or loaned out.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-19-2017, 12:36 PM
Yeah I suppose since the idea of remodeling the van was in 70, creative could let it simmer for awhile and wait until 76 for some epic reveal. 76 is very specific guess, what do you know? :)

The turtles don't have to be the ones driving it though, anything could happen. Stolen or loaned out.

#76 is the first issue after the known story arcs.

Universe #12-15 is "Karai's Path" focusing on Karai, Bludgeon, and Koya in Japan;
#71-72 is the Pantheon Family Reunion (and I'm not 100% sure it'll have the Turtles at all);
#73-75 is the trial of General Krang in Dimension X

There's no need for a van in any of that.

TurtleWA
06-19-2017, 12:38 PM
#76 is the first issue after the known story arcs.

Universe #12-15 is "Karai's Path" focusing on Karai, Bludgeon, and Koya in Japan;
#71-72 is the Pantheon Family Reunion (and I'm not 100% sure it'll have the Turtles at all);
#73-75 is the trial of General Krang in Dimension X

There's no need for a van in any of that.

Very logical.

Cool, both Bishop and the van reappear in the same issue, number 76. Shouldn't this also be the holiday issue?

old_hob88
06-19-2017, 09:06 PM
Very logical.

Cool, both Bishop and the van reappear in the same issue, number 76. Shouldn't this also be the holiday issue?

76 comes out in November, so 77 would be the holiday issue if they go that route again this year.

CKD,

I do believe the turtles will be in the Pantheon Family Reunion arc, since the end of Universe 10 sets up that they have the location of Toad Barron's place and can reconnoiter their get together now. I was really hoping for no turtles in the story ala #37, but oh well

Utrommaniac
06-19-2017, 10:31 PM
We've been confirmed for 75 to be double length. I'm still calling Krang either being banished (to Morbus, which frankly is a terrible idea on the part of the court) or executed. Either way, resulting in martyrdom for some Utroms. Though, the latter choice would result in basically a carbon copy of #50, so I doubt that.

Since it looks like there's going to be another invasion on Neutrino, I would also guess that some of his supporters might smuggle him out while they're distracted by the fighting.

Ninjinister
06-19-2017, 11:04 PM
I was really hoping for no turtles in the story ala #37, but oh well

We've got an entire other book made for minimal turtle appearances now.

ToTheNines
06-20-2017, 04:57 AM
#71-72 is the Pantheon Family Reunion (and I'm not 100% sure it'll have the Turtles at all).

I'm 100 percent sure that it will. I bet 71 will start with the turtles spying on them and most of it will be conversation among the Pantheon, with the guys having their cover blown on the last page.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-20-2017, 08:21 AM
CKD,

I do believe the turtles will be in the Pantheon Family Reunion arc, since the end of Universe 10 sets up that they have the location of Toad Barron's place and can reconnoiter their get together now. I was really hoping for no turtles in the story ala #37, but oh well

I forgot about that bit!

I'm 100 percent sure that it will. I bet 71 will start with the turtles spying on them and most of it will be conversation among the Pantheon, with the guys having their cover blown on the last page.

Now that you say that, you are most likely 100% right with how it goes down! :tlol:

ChosenOne
06-21-2017, 07:25 AM
So I guess none of us here were right about Dreadmon's mutant species... :lol:

And did we just get the IDW version of the Gang of Four?! :o It's not hard at all to imagine things going down that route again with these guys.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 08:16 AM
Huh. I didn't really see any of that coming... not Dreadmon's origins, not his final fate.

I did like the conflict between Ray and Dreadmon, but it seemed pretty forced. What'd you guys think?

But I think at this point, I need something more than Null teasers; I need an actual Null story. She's been teased enough, can we get some in-depth focus now?

ChosenOne
06-21-2017, 08:29 AM
I saw Dreadmon's fate coming the moment he mentioned being born a human in his backstory. Hob wouldn't stand for that.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 08:36 AM
Spoilers.

And eventually, I think Hob will get over that. He's softened a bit towards Lindsay, after all...

ChosenOne
06-21-2017, 08:38 AM
Hob took in Lindsay before he turned down two massive assets such as Bebop and Rocksteady for being born humans. I don't think he'll ever get over it, he probably sees all human-born mutants as abominations.

Not to mention, they can always be swayed with the promise of demutation. Animal-born mutants have nothing and no one else but Hob and his cause.

He plays on the Stockholm Syndrome side of things a bit too, is I how I see it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 08:46 AM
Hob took in Lindsay before he turned down two massive assets such as Bebop and Rocksteady for being born humans. I don't think he'll ever get over it, he probably sees all human-born mutants as abominations.

Not to mention, they can always be swayed with the promise of demutation. Animal-born mutants have nothing and no one else but Hob and his cause.

He plays on the Stockholm Syndrome side of things a bit too, is I how I see it.

Hmmm. Hadn't considered it from that angle.

Also, on a different topic but you mentioning them reminded me I haven't posted this idea yet...

What if Hob and the Turtles bring in Bebop and Rocksteady to help them take down a brainwashed Slash? They're the only ones who can go toe-to-toe with the big turtle. :tcool:

ChosenOne
06-21-2017, 08:49 AM
Bebop and Rocksteady would be overkill, my very honest guess is that the Turtles are going to Leatherhead for help. He should (in theory) be sympathetic to Slash's plight, and it would work wonders in getting him involved with the main plot.

Bishop and Leatherhead are just natural-born enemies, even if they don't know it yet.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 08:59 AM
Bebop and Rocksteady would be overkill, my very honest guess is that the Turtles are going to Leatherhead for help. He should (in theory) be sympathetic to Slash's plight, and it would work wonders in getting him involved with the main plot.

Bishop and Leatherhead are just natural-born enemies, even if they don't know it yet.

Actually, I think Bishop will RECRUIT Leatherhead to working for him willingly. (At least at first, until the Turtles and Hob can get through to him.)

Leatherhead doesn't believe mutants should exist; neither does Bishop. :trazz:

ChosenOne
06-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Leatherhead and Bishop's views coincide on that one point, but clash on many others. The big guy is vehemently opposed to experimentation on mutants, how do you think he'd react if/when he finds out about what's been done to Slash?

Not to mention Bishop pretty much went to the "Amanda Waller School of Minion Recruitment", ie, it doesn't count if he can't stick some sort of control device in their heads.

Plus, Bobby did say we'd be seeing Leatherhead again sooner rather than later...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 09:07 AM
Leatherhead and Bishop's views coincide on that one point, but clash on many others. The big guy is vehemently opposed to experimentation on mutants, how do you think he'd react if/when he finds out about what's been done to Slash?

Not to mention Bishop pretty much went to the "Amanda Waller School of Minion Recruitment"...

Plus, Bobby did say we'd be seeing Leatherhead sooner rather than later...

This is true. Leatherhead hates experimentation and cruelty... but does he hate it more than he hates himself? Hopefully!

Also, I think Bishop needs to go after the loner mutants before he goes back out after the Mutanimals or the Turtles.

Bebop and Rocksteady are hugely powerful; Alopex is in Northampton; Splinter is leading the Foot Clan. That leaves Leatherhead as an isolated and easy target.

ChosenOne
06-21-2017, 09:11 AM
I would love for Bishop to try and go after Splinter, as I can't imagine the Foot haven't been keeping tabs on the EPF all this time. There would probably be a wakizashi at his throat out of nowhere before he could even give the order.

But yeah, Leatherhead is long overdue to get involved in this conflict. The stuff in Universe is largely inconsequential to the main ongoing, so my guess is we'll see him in the next arc after Trial of Krang, along with the refurbished van and the first full-on, "official" Turtles/Mutanimals team-up to rescue Slash.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 09:14 AM
I would love for Bishop to try and go after Splinter, as I can't imagine the Foot haven't been keeping tabs on the EPF all this time. There would probably be a wakizashi at his throat out of nowhere before he could even give the order.

But yeah, Leatherhead is long overdue to get involved in this conflict. The stuff in Universe is largely inconsequential to the main ongoing, so my guess is we'll see him in the next arc after Trial of Krang, along with the refurbished van and the first full-on, "official" Turtles/Mutanimals team-up to rescue Slash.

I feel like the Bishop war needs to be the same length as Vengeance or City Fall... 7-10 issues, with Stockman, Null, Bishop, Mutanimals, Leatherhead, the Foot, and the Turtles ALL in a giant chaotic war for mutantkind.

ChosenOne
06-21-2017, 09:18 AM
We might indeed be getting something like that, but I wonder if it won't be broken up into "chunks" or several different arcs peppered from here to #100, given how we also have the Pantheon plot going on at the moment and only one of them can take us to the finish line of the 100th issue.

To be honest, from what we're seeing so far, either Bishop or the Pantheon would be more than enough to fill out 50 issues.

Unless IDW plan to combine both threads at some point, it feels like prematurely wasting one of two great overarching plots. But they haven't done any wrong by us fans so far, so we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

The waiting is the hardest part!

Tardigrade
06-21-2017, 09:29 AM
It would make sense for Bishop to go after Leatherhead by using Slash. Then go after Bebop and Rocksteady with both of them. I would love a fight Slash + Leatherhead vs Bebop + Rocksteady. If he succeed, he would have the four stongest mutants at his disposal.

I think that Slash and Leatherhead have a strong duo potential for post-Bishop's arcs.

ChosenOne
06-21-2017, 09:33 AM
It would make sense for Bishop to go after Leatherhead by using Slash. Then go after Bebop and Rocksteady with both of them. I would love a fight Slash + Leatherhead vs Bebop + Rocksteady. If he succeed, he would have the four stongest mutants at his disposal.

I think that Slash and Leatherhead have a strong duo potential for post-Bishop's arcs.

A powerhouse four-way brawl? That'd be the cherry on top of this year's awesomeness cake!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 09:34 AM
We might indeed be getting something like that, but I wonder if it won't be broken up into "chunks" or several different arcs peppered from here to #100, given how we also have the Pantheon plot going on at the moment and only one of them can take us to the finish line of the 100th issue.

To be honest, from what we're seeing so far, either Bishop or the Pantheon would be more than enough to fill out 50 issues.

Unless IDW plan to combine both threads at some point, it feels like prematurely wasting one of two great overarching plots. But they haven't done any wrong by us fans so far, so we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

The waiting is the hardest part!

True, true... but man, Bishop is my favorite. I'll take him over Shredder or Krang, so I'm just raring to get that storyline asap!

myconius
06-21-2017, 12:56 PM
even though this issue introduces us to a new Mutant and Nulls new lackeys,
i like how it seemed to focus more on better fleshing out Ray and Sally and their relationship.

don't like Dreadmon! .......NOPE!
Ray took tranq darts so that he and Sally could get away, and then Dreadmon was just going to leave Ray to the wolves!!!
that guy ain't nothing but a punk!

Utrommaniac
06-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Slash and Leatherhead working together would be great. Though, with everything that's happened to Slash and Leatherhead being...unsocialized...this would be their relationship for at least a little while

https://media.tenor.co/images/989b4d839677ed64b69c1e410197b1da/tenor.gif

neatoman
06-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Alright, just to put the debate to rest, Dreadmon is a jackal and not a coyote or anything else. Right there, black on white.

Now, on the the more interesting things:

1:
He started out as human, Congolese of a Jamaican father.
2:
The way the temporary mutations work is cybernetic pumps, keeps the flow of mutagen in check. Allegedly it will work on already existing mutants.

Now for speculation:
At the end we see one of the thugs with the skin on his snout torn off, revealing a mechanical snout. How does that make sense if his snout is just temporary? Are the temporary mutations faked?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 01:13 PM
Alright, just to put the debate to rest, Dreadmon is a jackal and not a coyote or anything else. Right there, black on white.

1:
2:
The way the temporary mutations work is cybernetic pumps, keeps the flow of mutagen in check. Allegedly it will work on already existing mutants.

Now for speculation:
At the end we see one of the thugs with the skin on his snout torn off, revealing a mechanical snout. How does that make sense if his snout is just temporary? Are the temporary mutations faked?

I'm willing to just chalk it up to artistic license (looks cool!), and that the actual "science" is that there are generic cybernetic faceplates built into the soldier's face that can shift and adapt in sync with the temporary mutation.

even though this issue introduces us to a new Mutant and Nulls new lackeys,
i like how it seemed to focus more on better fleshing out Ray and Sally and their relationship.
don't like Dreadmon! .......NOPE!
Ray took tranq darts so that he and Sally could get away, and then Dreadmon was just going to leave Ray to the wolves!!!
that guy ain't nothing but a punk!

Yeah, I checked out on his character at the same time. I also don't buy that he was so easily redeemed.

Dude, you bailed on us TWO pages ago. Seriously, you're not Mutanimals material.

Utrommaniac
06-21-2017, 01:14 PM
Well, now being an African dog breed makes sense...

And two reveals of mechanical parts in a row? Where are these coming from?

Super happy that Sally directly calls ManRay her best friend, though. It's an obvious and understandable factor, but it's nice that it's out in the open.

And where are all these colonels coming from all of the sudden??? Ch'rell, Winter, and Fist. They're coming out of the woodwork!

myconius
06-21-2017, 01:27 PM
I'm willing to just chalk it up to artistic license (looks cool!), and that the actual "science" is that there are generic cybernetic faceplates built into the soldier's face that can shift and adapt in sync with the temporary mutation.

i had a similar thought when i saw the human cybernetic faceplate change to animal form.

at first i was like - "HOW IN THE...???"
but it did look WICKED COOL so i decided to just enjoy it and roll with it.

Yeah, I checked out on his character at the same time. I also don't buy that he was so easily redeemed.

Dude, you bailed on us TWO pages ago. Seriously, you're not Mutanimals material.

yeah he definitely IS NOT Mutanimals material! not one bit!
heck! he's not even fit to stand next to Pigeon Pete!! :lol:

Utrommaniac
06-21-2017, 01:30 PM
So...does this look like a future Rocksteady-ManRay battle to anyone else?
https://68.media.tumblr.com/74ba864299cf81a8416174292f59e8de/tumblr_inline_orwwrhIVOw1rw8miz_540.png

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 01:33 PM

I went back and reread it again, and maybe I'm being a bit harsh. I think the "Wile E. Coyote" look in the preview really threw me off and left me a little prejudiced against the character. :tlol:

His pacifist conviction due to his past was pretty great, but he just didn't really seem to be very compelling other than that. I mean, he was willing to bail on Ray, and he never really seemed to be working to defend anyone other than himself.

Also, he's just going to go off on his own? With those beasts/soldiers roaming around hunting mutants? Does he really expect that to work out for him?

As a story, this issue was great. But I just didn't like Dreadmon.

DestronMirage22
That was kinda lame. The story felt kinda rushed and the new characters definitely could've been more developed. Dreadmon came off like a jerk. I mean, he was COMPLETELY willing to go with those guys and then when Ray shows up he suddenly goes with him? Yeah, I'm glad he didn't join the Mutanimals in the end.

I did enjoy the little character development for Ray and Sally, though. It's definitely been needed. The art was also really nice, a cool blend of traditional and cartoony styles.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
https://68.media.tumblr.com/74ba864299cf81a8416174292f59e8de/tumblr_inline_orwwrhIVOw1rw8miz_540.png

Here's hoping!!!

TigerClaw
06-21-2017, 01:41 PM

1:
2:

Now for speculation:
The important thing is, he's still a canine type mutant.

i had a similar thought when i saw the human cybernetic faceplate change to animal form.

at first i was like - "HOW IN THE...???"
but it did look WICKED COOL so i decided to just enjoy it and roll with it.

Though I liked Dreadmon, but he isn't Mutanimals material for the IDW TMNT universe, cause he was human born, Old Hob only recruits mutants who aren't human born, since he still holds prejudice against those who were once humans.

myconius
06-21-2017, 02:00 PM
I went back and reread it again, and maybe I'm being a bit harsh. I think the "Wile E. Coyote" look in the preview really threw me off and left me a little prejudiced against the character. :tlol:

His pacifist conviction due to his past was pretty great, but he just didn't really seem to be very compelling other than that. I mean, he was willing to bail on Ray, and he never really seemed to be working to defend anyone other than himself.

Also, he's just going to go off on his own? With those beasts/soldiers roaming around hunting mutants? Does he really expect that to work out for him?

As a story, this issue was great. But I just didn't like Dreadmon.

i can understand he has sworn to pacifism, but to not even attempt to help someone in return who had just helped him makes him pretty useless.
as soon as you said you thought Dreadmon looked like Wile E Coyote, i imagined that we might see him meet a similar fate. :lol:

https://media.giphy.com/media/mTXSKTk3BsT6w/giphy.gif

if anything this issue was just another chance for Ray and Sally to shine. :tgrin:

Though I liked Dreadmon, but he isn't Mutanimals material for the IDW TMNT universe, cause he was human born, Old Hob only recruits mutants who aren't human born, since he still holds prejudice against those who were once humans.

i can totally see why Hob will not recruit human born Mutants.
the one's we've met so far aren't very upstanding.
sure Hob himself is willing to play dirty, but he does it with sights for the greater good.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't mind giving Dreadmon a second chance, especially with his backstory.

But I'm lying if I said I didn't want that second chance to involve him meeting a skeptical Old Hob. :tgrin:

neatoman
06-21-2017, 02:40 PM
That was kinda lame. The story felt kinda rushed and the new characters definitely could've been more developed. Dreadmon came off like a jerk. I mean, he was COMPLETELY willing to go with those guys and then when Ray shows up he suddenly goes with him? Yeah, I'm glad he didn't join the Mutanimals in the end.

I did enjoy the little character development for Ray and Sally, though. It's definitely been needed. The art was also really nice, a cool blend of traditional and cartoony styles.

Eh, they can't all be winners. To me this was perfectly serviceable, not great but I don't think it's meant to be.

Maybe, could just be a common reference.

myconius
06-21-2017, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't mind giving Dreadmon a second chance, especially with his backstory.

But I'm lying if I said I didn't want that second chance to involve him meeting a skeptical Old Hob. :tgrin:

i'm going to have to re-read the issue again to see if maybe i'm not being too hard on Dreadmon.

though i'm more eager to re-read it for the Sally and Ray content.

Ray is quickly becoming my favorite Mutanimal. :tsmile:

"what is the saying Agent? this isn't my first rodeo?"

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 03:15 PM
i'm going to have to re-read the issue again to see if maybe i'm not being too hard on Dreadmon.

though i'm more eager to re-read it for the Sally and Ray content.

Ray is quickly becoming my favorite Mutanimal. :tsmile:

"what is the saying Agent? this isn't my first rodeo?"

One benefit of Dreadmon running off into the woods is that the Mutanimals roster doesn't outpace character development.

At this point, I feel like all of the Mutanimals have a sufficient amount of background and development. That's not to say that IDW should stop focusing on them, but we're past the point where "who the hell is the lioness in a leather jacket, anyway!?"

Ninjinister
06-21-2017, 04:13 PM
Didn't expect the mercs to be

The Gang of Four

TigerClaw
06-21-2017, 04:30 PM

The Gang of Four
That's a missed opportunity right there, they should've called them The Fangs of Four

neatoman
06-21-2017, 04:44 PM

The Gang of Four

I had to look it up to see what you meant, you're right. I didn't remember the name of that group, much less their individual names, so I really didn't notice any connection. Good on you man, I'd never notice it on my own!

Still, different gimmick this time around, you think they're gonna use different mutant forms down the line?

ToTheNines
06-21-2017, 04:51 PM
No backup? Gimme my dollar back.

DestronMirage22
06-21-2017, 05:01 PM
No backup? Gimme my dollar back.

Yeah, that and more adds than usual were also reasons for this being a less-than-spectacular issue

Bobby Curnow
06-21-2017, 05:03 PM
(FYI: the main story was 24 pages-- same amount of content as previous Universe issues)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 06:14 PM
I was actually glad to not have a backup... haven't liked any of them yet. Well, the Pepperoni one was okay but not my taste. The others, though, I wouldn't hesitate to call boring.

And is the Gang of Four an Archie thing? Because when I think of cyborg mercenaries in TMNT, I think of Wilson, Jackson, and the third one who worked for Pimiko and shot Donnie all to hell in the first story arc of TMNT Volume 3!

ToTheNines
06-21-2017, 07:08 PM
(FYI: the main story was 24 pages-- same amount of content as previous Universe issues)

Haha, I'd noticed it read longer than past Universe issues. Just being a smart ass. I shouldn't make this public, but I would spend $20 per book if that was the cover price.

TigerClaw
06-21-2017, 09:46 PM
I was actually glad to not have a backup... haven't liked any of them yet. Well, the Pepperoni one was okay but not my taste. The others, though, I wouldn't hesitate to call boring.

And is the Gang of Four an Archie thing? Because when I think of cyborg mercenaries in TMNT, I think of Wilson, Jackson, and the third one who worked for Pimiko and shot Donnie all to hell in the first story arc of TMNT Volume 3!
Yep, Gang of Four was from the archie comics.
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Gang_of_Four
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/the-gang-of-four/4060-56435/

MikeandRaph87
06-21-2017, 09:53 PM
So the Gang of Four made their debut as hunans with a controlled mutation? That was unexpected. Also the authorization for non-lethsl caoture vonsidering what they are known for. Are there direct analogs of each member or only the fact its a quartet of mercanaries hired to capture Dreadmon?

CyberCubed
06-22-2017, 01:31 AM
And is the Gang of Four an Archie thing? !

The Gang of Four work for Null and literally kill the entire Mutanimals in Archie. They kill Man Ray, Leatherhead, Mondo Gecko, Dreadmon, Jagwar and Wingnut/Screwloose.

Makes you wonder if the same thing will happen in this series....

myconius
06-22-2017, 03:59 AM
The Gang of Four work for Null and literally kill the entire Mutanimals in Archie. They kill Man Ray, Leatherhead, Mondo Gecko, Dreadmon, Jagwar and Wingnut/Screwloose.

i wouldn't think that we'll just get a repeat of the past.

most things in this series have been a fresh reinvention/reimagining.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2017, 08:35 AM

IDW is not killing off the Mutanimals. They've killed exactly ONE main character so far: Oroku Saki.

Nick does still call the shots, and THAT is a shot that ain't ever gonna get called.

MikeandRaph87
06-22-2017, 09:21 AM
It was titled "The Jersey Devil" yet the Jersey Devil also known as Chris Christie did not appear!

We saw Darius Dunn and Victor die as well. Major or minor they appeared in more than one arc.

I think the Gang of Four will die. Perhaps the Mutanimals can get poetic justice across incarnations.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2017, 09:27 AM
It was titled "The Jersey Devil" yet the Jersey Devil also known as Chris Christie did not appear!

We saw Darius Dunn and Victor die as well. Major or minor they appeared in more than one arc.

I think the Gang of Four will die. Perhaps the Mutanimals can get poetic justice across incarnations.

:tlol: Excellent political humor, my friend.

Oh, right, Darius Dunn. Yeah, that was a good ending. So TWO characters. I'm not counting Victor, that guy was 0% character and 100% cannon fodder. Dunn was a character, if minor. He did more than just get killed (although Cubed would probably disagree with me).

The Null storyline keeps feeding us all these interesting tidbits... interdimensional, CEO of a global conglomerate, working AGAINST Bishop, created more mutants like Zodi (is she half-human?) and Dreadmon, the Gang of Four, demutation technology, working AGAINST Stockman, Roadkill Rodneys, trying to mainstream mutant slavery, combination mutants...

Damnit, I am ZEALOUS to get to that Null story!

myconius
06-22-2017, 09:33 AM
IDW is not killing off the Mutanimals. They've killed exactly ONE main character so far: Oroku Saki.

Nick does still call the shots, and THAT is a shot that ain't ever gonna get called.

well even though they brought them back, they did kill Hamato Yoshi and his sons. :lol:

how many supporting characters have been killed so far? Savate Ninja (issue#6), Victor, Professor Miller, Darius Dunn, Stockman's guards (Tmnt:U#1), Bishop's Dad . . .

those are the only ones that jump out at me off the top of my head.

OH! and that unfortunate rat that got goggled up in issue #36!
poor Squeaky! :lol:

myconius
06-22-2017, 09:38 AM

i think only three of them will die.

and they'll then be known as 'the gang of one'.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2017, 09:41 AM
well even though they brought them back, they did kill Hamato Yoshi and his sons. :lol:

how many supporting characters have been killed so far? Savate Ninja (issue#6), Victor, Professor Miller, Darius Dunn, Stockman's guards (Tmnt:U#1), Bishop's Dad . . .

I guess when I tally up the bodycount, my criteria is whether or not they were a character in their own right or just "window dressing / plot device."

That's why I don't count the Savate, or any number of Foot ninja and soldiers, guards, etc. Bishop's dad wasn't a character, he was a relationship to Bishop himself.

The Hamato Clan is kinda exempt from my tally because of the whole reincarnation angle. It's damned ballsy, but also just... well, you could count it or not.

Professor Miller feels like he had more potential. That one irritated me a little; loved seeing Jennika stab him through the car seat, but I think Miller was a unique character and a bit of a loss. But it certainly gave us some needed context for Karai's dedication to cleansing the Foot Clan of outsiders!

MikeandRaph87
06-22-2017, 09:46 AM

What I like about it is the deaths are all impactful on the overall story going forward. Also, I appreciate that its not key players. That is one of the major reasons I could not get into Mirage with Shredder and Rat King and later Splinter dead and that plague killed my enthusiasm for the Nicktoon. IDW gets it right. Dire consequences yet major players are not killed off. Not to mention Shredder has the ability to return.

myconius
06-22-2017, 10:03 AM
I guess when I tally up the bodycount, my criteria is whether or not they were a character in their own right or just "window dressing / plot device."

That's why I don't count the Savate, or any number of Foot ninja and soldiers, guards, etc. Bishop's dad wasn't a character, he was a relationship to Bishop himself.

The Hamato Clan is kinda exempt from my tally because of the whole reincarnation angle. It's damned ballsy, but also just... well, you could count it or not.

Professor Miller feels like he had more potential. That one irritated me a little; loved seeing Jennika stab him through the car seat, but I think Miller was a unique character and a bit of a loss. But it certainly gave us some needed context for Karai's dedication to cleansing the Foot Clan of outsiders!

no matter the significance of a character i do enjoy when a comic is not afraid to show a few heads roll.

i feel Miller did have potential that was wasted, but at the same time it did validate Karai's resolve and give the story much needed fangs.
as did the Death of Darius Dunn.

even though i already knew they came back, seeing the death of the Hamato Clan still was a real punch to the gut.

OH MY GOD! we failed to mention the Death of Tang Shen!!
i'm seriously embarrassed that i overlooked her!!

What I like about it is the deaths are all impactful on the overall story going forward. Also, I appreciate that its not key players. That is one of the major reasons I could not get into Mirage with Shredder and Rat King and later Splinter dead and that plague killed my enthusiasm for the Nicktoon. IDW gets it right. Dire consequences yet major players are not killed off. Not to mention Shredder has the ability to return.

i agree about enjoying seeing a few 'Red-Shirts' get slaughtered for the sake of a story.

that is a problem with killing off main characters. it'll always be someone's favorite character and risk losing a fan.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2017, 10:19 AM

Death is a lasting consequence. And lasting consequences are all too absent from most mainstream comics these days.

Killing redshirts is pointless; nobody cared when Mr. Leslie or Mr. Kyle were killed on an away mission because we all knew Kirk, Spock, and Bones would be just fine.

But when Spock died in Wrath of Khan or Jazdia Dax died in Deep Space Nine, THAT has consequence and lasting impact.

And I'd much rather see Hun killed than have his character just languish and suffer diminishing returns.

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 10:19 AM

Emperor Quanin, I think, is a huge supporting character death. Unlike Bishop's father, he wasn't just a connection to Krang, but I'd even say he's very much in the center rings of everything, though outside of whatever the Pantheon is doing. They're dead center. His actions in turn caused Krang's motivations, and without his death or destruction of his homeworld, the turtles might be dealing with a very, very different Krang. I think they'd still exist with or without Utrominon's destruction, but the means for protecting the Utrom civilization would be changed.

So he's not just a support character thematically, he's literally a leg of support for the plot. His actions have caused waves into the present point that would probably have caused a lot of things to just not happen, or at least happen alternatively.

MikeandRaph87
06-22-2017, 10:33 AM
Death is a lasting consequence. And lasting consequences are all too absent from most mainstream comics these days.

Killing redshirts is pointless; nobody cared when Mr. Leslie or Mr. Kyle were killed on an away mission because we all knew Kirk, Spock, and Bones would be just fine.

But when Spock died in Wrath of Khan or Jazdia Dax died in Deep Space Nine, THAT has consequence and lasting impact.

And I'd much rather see Hun killed than have his character just languish and suffer diminishing returns.

Hun is expendable in my eyes. Just a punk who got lucky. He is more supporting and not a major player anyway. Yes, I know I am down playing Hun,but he is not Shredder/Krang/Rat King tier. Even Karai and Baxter. Any other villain sure. Just spar Slash and Hob! They are becomng key players. I would be just fine with Hun dying if the right emotional situation can be plotted. He can be played up in a way similar to Yondu's action.

myconius
06-22-2017, 10:37 AM

but they brought Spock back.

you really can't permanently kill off a Kirk or Spock without potentially killing off the franchise.

now Hun is a character i've actually been wanting to see get off'ed for a while now.

Emperor Quanin, I think, is a huge supporting character death. Unlike Bishop's father, he wasn't just a connection to Krang, but I'd even say he's very much in the center rings of everything, though outside of whatever the Pantheon is doing. They're dead center. His actions in turn caused Krang's motivations, and without his death or destruction of his homeworld, the turtles might be dealing with a very, very different Krang. I think they'd still exist with or without Utrominon's destruction, but the means for protecting the Utrom civilization would be changed.

So he's not just a support character thematically, he's literally a leg of support for the plot. His actions have caused waves into the present point that would probably have caused a lot of things to just not happen, or at least happen alternatively.

yeah i can definitely see Quanin's death as being very significant.

i think the reason why i overlooked it myself is because it was told in flashback, though it still is very relevant.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Hun is expendable in my eyes. Just a punk who got lucky. He is more supporting and not a major player anyway. Yes, I know I am down playing Hun,but he is not Shredder/Krang/Rat King tier. Even Karai and Baxter. Any other villain sure. Just spar Slash and Hob! They are becomng key players. I would be just fine with Hun dying if the right emotional situation can be plotted. He can be played up in a way similar to Yondu's action.

I wouldn't want to see Hun redeemed; too far gone, I think.

But yeah, spare Hob and probably Slash, too. (I could mourn Slash, though... it'd gut me, but it could be done well.)

But maybe IDW has to look at it from a long game perspective... if Shredder (who we all know is going to be resurrected somehow by Kitsune), Krang, Kitsune, and Bishop were to all be straight-up killed, does IDW have faith in their own storytelling and their casual audience to read stories featuring new, lesser-known or original villains?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2017, 10:44 AM
but they brought Spock back.

you really can't permanently kill off a Kirk or Spock without potentially killing off the franchise.

I disagree. We don't WANT them to permanently kill off those characters, but the loss of a single main character will not kill off the franchise if the franchise is strong enough.

Hell, Game of Thrones kept going after the Red Wedding. And just look at the Walking Dead. Star Trek is an ensemble story.

Although--and here I agree with you--TMNT would NOT survive killing off one of the four Turtles. That is verboten. But TMNT isn't an ensemble story; it's the story of four brothers.

MikeandRaph87
06-22-2017, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't want to see Hun redeemed; too far gone, I think.

But yeah, spare Hob and probably Slash, too. (I could mourn Slash, though... it'd gut me, but it could be done well.)

But maybe IDW has to look at it from a long game perspective... if Shredder (who we all know is going to be resurrected somehow by Kitsune), Krang, Kitsune, and Bishop were to all be straight-up killed, does IDW have faith in their own storytelling and their casual audience to read stories featuring new, lesser-known or original villains?

This is the first time post-Shredder that I have been very invested and interested. 2003 was for a period,but after Ninja Tribunal and the fact there was a Shredder crutch helped. Fastforward and Back To The Sewers...not so much. I believe IDW could do that while all others failed in a post-Shredder era in the long-term. After Shredder is defeated the days are usually numbered or Mirage bankrolls lost profits while other iterations fund it.

Right now we have Agent Bishop vs Lady Null vs Baxter Stockman(who is temporarily Team Turtles). The Pantheon(Rat King #2 figure of the group) are active. Then Malinga likely to be a villain in her own right only loosely tied to Krang. We also had Darius Dunn and the Street Phantoms serve an interesting plot. There are still others who will likely rear their heads like Karai or Bebop and Rocksteady independent of The Shredder. TMNT has a wealth of villains and IDW is using them effectively. It is proving to me that Shredder and to an extent Krang are not necessary every other story arc. Does IDW have faith in carrying on without them? Heck yes? Take them off the table permanently? I think they see that characters can be taken off the table and placed on the shelf without permanently removing the character. I like that approach. I mean in my own fan-fiction i killed off Titanus and Dregg. There some that are expendable and then others which might serve a better purpose on the shelf. It can serve for diverse storytelling later like Trial of Krang. Heck, Shredder and Krang are not necessary with the EXCITING stories in the pipeline but they can still be up for later.

Btw, I did not include Quanin or Tang Shen because they died in flashback(backstory purpose),before the events of the first issue. I was including those who died from the point of the first issue and beyond.

ChosenOne
06-22-2017, 11:35 AM
Shredder does have his time and place, but he's not the be-all, end-all of TMNT villains. There's a life after Saki. And IDW demonstrates that beautifully. If anything, any storyline post-Shredder has the chance to be even better than what came before because the rest of the rogues' gallery is by definition even more outlandish than an armored ninja warlord.

As far as we know, Maligna might be used the same as Rat King was before #50: make her debut in Trial of Krang, and then lay low until she comes back in a big way after #100 and the only thing goes cosmic with the Triceratons, etc.

And there's still a bunch of villains left untapped such as Lord Dregg, Armaggon... Heck, even Chien Khan would be brilliantly done at the hands of IDW!

CyberCubed
06-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Shredder will probably be revived by the Pantheon around issue 100 or a little before, so you should enjoy the Shredder-less series now.

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 02:50 PM
My theory that if Krang is executed/killed, Ch'rell will take up his mantle in the name of vengeance...but then it's a question of what has to be done to put a stop to him, and the following chain of avengers. Which is probably one more reason why Krang wouldn't be killed off, at least from a writing perspective. Banishment or disappearing amid chaos would be an easier solution than yet another revenge plotline. More of a "Where in the World is General Krang?"

myconius
06-22-2017, 09:53 PM
I disagree. We don't WANT them to permanently kill off those characters, but the loss of a single main character will not kill off the franchise if the franchise is strong enough.

Hell, Game of Thrones kept going after the Red Wedding. And just look at the Walking Dead. Star Trek is an ensemble story.

Although--and here I agree with you--TMNT would NOT survive killing off one of the four Turtles. That is verboten. But TMNT isn't an ensemble story; it's the story of four brothers.

well no, we don't want them to kill off the characters. but when they kill off a character integral to drawing in fans it does put a damper on a series.

i've never watched Game of Thrones, but i can say from The Walking Dead that they killed off any characters i enjoyed watching and now i no longer bother watching the show.
(well that and the fact that the show drags and goes nowhere)

but at least we agree that killing off one of the 4 Turtles would be a HUGE mistake.
that's be like ordering a hamburger and telling them to hold the burger. :P

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Isn't that what people were freaking out over when Donatello almost died? I wasn't reading when it happened, but I was slightly aware of it.

myconius
06-22-2017, 10:09 PM
many people were freaking out about Donatello's "death" in issue#44.

i really didn't think he was actually dead after reading the issue, though i had plenty of people debating me otherwise.

i mean if the issue ended with him getting his head lopped off or something, then i'd probably believed him dead.
but a smashed open shell with his guts laying all over they place?
....it's not but a flesh wound!

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 10:46 PM
I think that thought was especially on the minds of people who didn't actually read the series. At some point during the Leatherhead arch, I saw someone in a comment section of a preview asking why Donatello was still alive.

myconius
06-22-2017, 10:54 PM
I think that thought was especially on the minds of people who didn't actually read the series. At some point during the Leatherhead arch, I saw someone in a comment section of a preview asking why Donatello was still alive.

yeah, the people trying to debate me that Donatello was really dead never even read a single issue. they "read it in an article".
pretty cool, eh?

HA! so they probably didn't even realize he was put into Metalhead?

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 11:50 PM
Yep! Makes me want to plaster this in their faces
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51LvvRipKLL._SY300_.jpg

(And yet I also want it as a full-sized poster...so much. I love it.)

Y'all, just...read the series. I'm actually surprised people ("non readers") didn't lose their minds when Shredder and Splinter went through the Seppuku rites.

myconius
06-23-2017, 10:06 AM
Yep! Makes me want to plaster this in their faces
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51LvvRipKLL._SY300_.jpg

(And yet I also want it as a full-sized poster...so much. I love it.)

Y'all, just...read the series. I'm actually surprised people ("non readers") didn't lose their minds when Shredder and Splinter went through the Seppuku rites.

i'll never understand why some people want to 'follow' a story if they don't care enough to even bother reading it?

myself, if something interests me i'll just read it.
but then again there's many things people do these days i'll never understand.

(that poster is hysterical btw)

Utrommaniac
06-23-2017, 10:18 AM
And then there's the issue of debating with someone who actually reads the material.
"Donatello's dead!!! Childhood ruined!"
"Actually no, he survived, if you'd actually read his mind was planted in Metalhead while they healed his body and now he has a cool replacement shell--"
"HE DEAD!!!1!!!"

(And it's from one of the best Gravity Falls episodes too...)

myconius
06-23-2017, 10:38 AM
And then there's the issue of debating with someone who actually reads the material.
"Donatello's dead!!! Childhood ruined!"
"Actually no, he survived, if you'd actually read his mind was planted in Metalhead while they healed his body and now he has a cool replacement shell--"
"HE DEAD!!!1!!!"

(And it's from one of the best Gravity Falls episodes too...)

HA! it must be nice to live in one's own personal little reality!

"childhood ruined" ?
doesn't sound like they've had all that great of a childhood to begin with. :lol:

PFFT! "childhood ruined"! GOOD GRAVY! :lol:

DrSpengler
06-25-2017, 10:06 AM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT Universe #11 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2017/06/tmnt-universe-11.html)

While Dreadmon sort of faded into the background in this issue, I could definitely read a whole series about Ray and Sally hunting down cryptids and trying to recruit them before Null does. That's right up my alley.

The new take on the Gang of Four was extremely different from their Archie version, but considering how stupid that version was, I'm not complaining. And anyway, considering their history in the franchise, it makes sense to bring them in as major adversaries for the Mutanimals. Looking forward to seeing where all the Null stuff goes now that we're reminded it's still part of the narrative.

CyberCubed
06-25-2017, 10:36 AM
I really do hope Null wages war against the Mutanimals soon. There doesn't seem to be any free time for it to happen given we know the upcoming stories coming up, but I sure as hell hope Null doesn't continue to linger in the series doing nothing from the shadows for the next 40ish issues too.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-25-2017, 12:49 PM
I really do hope Null wages war against the Mutanimals soon. There doesn't seem to be any free time for it to happen given we know the upcoming stories coming up, but I sure as hell hope Null doesn't continue to linger in the series doing nothing from the shadows for the next 40ish issues too.

You and me both, Cubed.

And I would not mind seeing this Gang of Four (Werewolves) show up again. The names are stupid, but they're pretty capable.

Maybe these IDW cyborg mercenaries can kidnap Slash, shoot him full of holes, and drop him out of a helicopter?

Nah, Slash has gone through enough already. :trazz:

CyberCubed
06-25-2017, 12:54 PM
The only time I can see Null getting an arc is in Universe, if she gets a 4-part arc after the Karai 4-parter. As I said many times, I notice how Null has never appeared in the main ongoing and only appears in the mini's or Universe. It may stay like that forever.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-25-2017, 01:33 PM
The only time I can see Null getting an arc is in Universe, if she gets a 4-part arc after the Karai 4-parter. As I said many times, I notice how Null has never appeared in the main ongoing and only appears in the mini's or Universe. It may stay like that forever.

Nah, she'll eventually be brought into the main ongoing.

I hope. She'd better. :trazz:

MikeandRaph87
06-25-2017, 01:41 PM
She might be involved in further development of the Agent Bishop plot in #76. It will be until August to September until we know for sure through solicits being released,but there is always the SDCC panel.

Joey Kamikaze
07-01-2017, 01:00 AM
Re: post-Shredder TMNT, I have to point out that Shredder basically disappears from TMNTA after #25 (he appears again in two later, connected arcs), yet the (mostly) Shredder-free back half of that series is usually considered the stronger end of its run.

Re: this issue... eh. Felt like a pretty basic "Here's a new character, here's their origin" piece to me. I guess we'll see what IDW does with Dreadmon in the future.

Mutant Ninja Anole
07-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Playing up the animals to mutants vs humans to mutants dynamic is interesting, since on one hand it seems to be hitting a point about 'privilege' in that Dreadmon has a human history, and a background to possibly go back to. He also might be seen as more legitimately human, a person who had a bad thing happen to him vs a mutant freak through and through. Dreadmon wishes he hadn't made the choice and wants to go back. Ray never had a choice and has (assuming he couldn't be mutated into a full human?) nothing to go back too except maybe a zoo animal.

On the other hand, Sally and Ray are uplifted animals. Their circumstances are tragic but they've been given intelligence, hands, and other things their ancestors never had. Dreadmon has had his standing in society and his previous identity ripped away from him. It's a definite contrast that may be played up later.

Utrommaniac
07-02-2017, 10:42 PM
Though, considering the exact place he came from, he probably had very little standing of his own to begin with. He agreed to basically be a lab rat out of desperation to get out of the situation he was in, tired of being a soldier.

Mutant Ninja Anole
07-03-2017, 08:17 AM
Though, considering the exact place he came from, he probably had very little standing of his own to begin with. He agreed to basically be a lab rat out of desperation to get out of the situation he was in, tired of being a soldier.

Exactly (Which informs his aversion to guns), but at the same time there's still that gap of Dreadmon (probably) seeing himself as a human inside a mutant body as opposed to Sally and Ray. The way the gang of four undid their mutation had to be a shock to him, which is why I can at least understand why he seemed to agree to go go with them. Be a prisoner or possibly become human again, what do you think most people would choose?

BTW, I actually read that exchange the first time with the thought that he was bluffing, though I'm not sure I could really back it up from the comic. At least he balked at just shooting Sally.