PDA

View Full Version : Batman Mask of The Phantasm heading to blu ray

Autbot_Benz
06-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Warner Archive‏Verified account @WarnerArchive

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm(1993) is coming to Blu-ray next month with a new 2017 1080p HD Remaster! #BTAS https://www.facebook.com/warnerarchive/photos/a.275238161562.177744.205910361562/10155419794031563/?type=1&theater

TheSkeletonMan939
06-19-2017, 07:27 PM
FINALLY!!

10char

TMNT_Guy
06-20-2017, 08:22 AM
Hopefully it's a proper remaster from the film source and not a simple DNR upscale. The Warner Archive's twitter claimed that "It is not globs of DNR. Really." but after Viz's horrible release of Sailor Moon and their out right lying and falsifying of footage I'm weary of anything SD getting a "HD Remaster". I'll definitely be sticking with my DVD copy until I see some footage and reviews.

I don't have a sound system, but I'm surprised they didn't try try to update the 2.0 stereo soundtrack to at least 5.1 surround. Warner Archive is a "manufacture on demand" service so this won't be sold in retail stores.

This is my favorite Batman film and I really hope they do a good job with this release. Maybe this can lead to Warner Archive releasing other animated movies on Blu-ray like Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island or Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero.

Krutch
06-20-2017, 08:30 AM
Or finally just release Batman: TAS on bluray :roll:

plastroncafe
06-20-2017, 08:54 AM
This makes me nervous, because I have the animated series on DVD and the animation does not hold up. is it only going to look worse on Blu-ray?

Autbot_Benz
06-20-2017, 10:52 AM
This makes me nervous, because I have the animated series on DVD and the animation does not hold up. is it only going to look worse on Blu-ray?

I don't think so because remember Batman Mask Of The Phantasm had a theatrical release back in the day. so it should hold up.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-20-2017, 11:11 AM
...I'm weary of anything SD getting a "HD Remaster".

No. Mask of the Phantasm was prepared (a bit hastily) for theatrical release and, as such, 35mm prints in good condition exist. The film was scanned in HD from the start. I doubt the same can be said for episodes of the animated series.

I don't have a sound system, but I'm surprised they didn't try try to update the 2.0 stereo soundtrack to at least 5.1 surround.

I'd be surprised if the extra sound elements even exist anymore, outside of a music-and-effects mix. It'd only be worth boosting it up to 5.1 if they had the actual, separate audio tracks to work with.

Or finally just release Batman: TAS on bluray :roll:

I can't find the interview where he said it, but I've read that Bruce Timm is not a fan of the idea. A Blu-ray release brings in the task of removing grain (which can end badly, especially with animation (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Sword-in-the-Stone-Blu-ray/44743/#Screenshots)) and removing scuffs, scratches, etc.; he likes the unpolished look of B:TAS as it is.

plastroncafe
06-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the reassurances, folks.
Really looking forward to picking this up when it comes out.

:D

Spike Spiegel
06-20-2017, 02:36 PM
I can't find the interview where he said it, but I've read that Bruce Timm is not a fan of the idea. A Blu-ray release brings in the task of removing grain (which can end badly, especially with animation (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Sword-in-the-Stone-Blu-ray/44743/#Screenshots)) and removing scuffs, scratches, etc.; he likes the unpolished look of B:TAS as it is.

I seem to remember hearing this on the creator commentary for the "Heart of Steel, Part Two" episode in the "Volume 2" DVD boxset.

I'm curious to see what remastered audio will sound like on the Phantasm blu-ray. It's good to know that a BD release is coming.

Would an interview featurette with Dana Delany be too much to hope for? As the voice of two iconic female DCAU characters (Lois Lane and Andrea Beaumont) it would be nice to hear about the impact it had on her career, if any.

ProactiveMan
06-21-2017, 02:03 AM

That's interesting - I'm watching volume 1 right now and it looks great. Maybe it looks better in PAL or something?

drgon78
06-21-2017, 07:27 AM
It's about time they released this on blu ray. Now if could only get the animated series on blu ray.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-21-2017, 08:44 AM
Would an interview featurette with Dana Delany be too much to hope for? As the voice of two iconic female DCAU characters (Lois Lane and Andrea Beaumont) it would be nice to hear about the impact it had on her career, if any.

http://i.imgur.com/7Neg3Sz.png

I don't have a sound system, but I'm surprised they didn't try try to update the 2.0 stereo soundtrack to at least 5.1 surround. Warner Archive is a "manufacture on demand" service so this won't be sold in retail stores.

I'd be surprised if the extra sound elements even exist anymore, outside of a music-and-effects mix. It'd only be worth boosting it up to 5.1 if they had the actual, separate audio tracks to work with.

Update; someone over here (http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13744820&postcount=4519) is claiming the film had some sort of 5.1 soundtrack produced. But again, this was produced for TV originally, so Timm et al. likely didn't have any input on it and I wouldn't be surprised if it was just matrixed from stereo.

Aaronardo
06-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Oh man, it's about time. Easily one of my favorite animated films and absolutely my favorite Batman film.

Autbot_Benz
06-22-2017, 11:54 PM
Pre-Order is up for Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Kevin-Conroy-Delany-Bochner/dp/B0731YSYS2?tag=blurayforum-20

Tetsu Deinonychus
06-24-2017, 11:40 AM
That's interesting - I'm watching volume 1 right now and it looks great. Maybe it looks better in PAL or something?

Batman: TAS, like all '90s WB shows, is a "depending on the studio" show. So, sometimes you get a gorgeous TMS episode, and sometimes you get a cheap "TV adequate" Akom episode. Mask of the Phantasm was done by TMS, so it should look fine.

And, then there's the redesigned seasons where the animation is more fluid, but many of the character designs just don't look as good. So, it's a trade off.

ProactiveMan
06-26-2017, 02:53 AM
I really don't like the redesign. I know why they did it, but it looks pretty rough and unrefined. There are a couple of characters that looked better for it, but most of them looked like they were designed in a hurry. For example, black eyed Joker... what an odd choice.

Tetsu Deinonychus
06-26-2017, 09:36 AM
Strangely I never minded the way Joker looked. My main problem was how awful redesigned Bruce Wayne looked, but overall I'm not a fan of the redesigns.