PDA

View Full Version : Do women really secretly hate all other women?

Andrew NDB
06-21-2017, 10:07 AM
http://www.youthvillage.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/fighting-women.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/amy-siskind/why-do-women-hate-each-ot_b_12951078.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/opinion/sunday/why-women-compete-with-each-other.html

Is this real? Is this a true thing?

TurtleWA
06-21-2017, 10:16 AM
http://www.youthvillage.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/fighting-women.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/amy-siskind/why-do-women-hate-each-ot_b_12951078.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/opinion/sunday/why-women-compete-with-each-other.html

Is this real? Is this a true thing?

ridiculous generalization, one vote for fake

ProphetofGanja
06-21-2017, 10:26 AM
I'm against such grand, sweeping statements, but there is something to this. Just like some minorities can "drink the Kool Aid" and support white supremacy in some ways, women can either consciously or unconsciously become supporters of the patriarchy. Kinda related to Stockholm Syndrome.

But no, not all women

AquaParade
06-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Probably just the insecure ones.
A lot of times if I'm feeling anger or resentment towards someone, it stems from a place of insecurity. Even if it's hard to connect the dots at first.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-21-2017, 10:35 AM
Speaking AS a woman, I say no. There are time when we are jealous of or angered by other women but there is also an unspoken bond of sorts that women will band together in times of need. They will more readily support each other and offer emotional strength than men generally do. Women may often dislike CERTAIN other women but ALL??!! NO.

plastroncafe
06-21-2017, 10:38 AM
I feel uniquely qualified to answer this question as I'm a woman who was raised a misogynist.

Post-industrial American culture is an interesting mixed bag of gender pressures. From day one women are not allowed to be angry or aggressive. So they find their ways to release pressure and aggression that are more subtle. Think Mean Girls..

Now add to that the false belief That there's a zero-sum game for a finite amount of resources, and you get subtle mean girl competition.

I know there was a point in time where I used to say I hated women, again recovering misogynist here, but it was more the trappings of the narrow box of femininity that I hate it then the other women I knew living in it.

Eventually my misplaced aggression turned towards the actual problem, the fact that there are no options but pink, rather than the color pink itself.

Prowler
06-21-2017, 10:46 AM
As a guy I don't believe this. From my observation, women usually tend to get along better with each other on a general level than men do. But when they dislike each other it tends to be in a more passive aggressive way, while men tend to be more confrontational. Notice how you rarely see two women getting involved in a physical fight? And how often two women who don't like each other still try to be nice to one another?

I kinda agree with MsMarvelDuckie on the "women bonding together" part. Women are indeed more open about their feelings and seem more eager to help each other, even if they're strangers. Men don't really show that kind of solidarity and we're also a bit too proud to ask others for help and emotional support.

snake
06-21-2017, 11:01 AM
In High School this is 100% true.

sdp
06-21-2017, 11:26 AM
It's not a secret for anyone whose had any girl friends. Still, those are some very poor articulated articles and over reaching with their point.

Prowler
06-21-2017, 11:38 AM
One thing I have noticed however is that I see more girls and women who say negative things about their own sex than guys/men who do so about theirs. Everyone has met girls/women who have more male friends and that would rather hang out with them than with other women. The only guys I've met that mostly have female friends and would much rather hang out with chicks were... well, gay. Yep, I went there.

Utrommaniac
06-21-2017, 11:40 AM
No.

That's it. If not for word count limits, I would have left it at that.

CyberCubed
06-21-2017, 12:11 PM
They do definitely get jealous, or at least subconsciously, over other women all the time. It's the same reason the most beautiful or prettiest women always have haters from other women, it's probably because they get the most attention from boys or find mates, etc.

I think it's a sense of, "What's so great about this person anyway?" kind of mentality. As the second article says, people look at it as reflections of themselves. And not just looks, but in terms of personality, money, status in society, etc.

Splinter the boss
06-21-2017, 01:00 PM
At school it seems so but in reality, no. I also know females who prefer boys as friends, an effort to avoid drama.

snake
06-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Oh, that's not why those types prefer to hang out with guys.

Splinter the boss
06-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Why do you think?

Candy Kappa
06-21-2017, 01:10 PM
This thread.

You guys, you spoil me with your humor.

DestronMirage22
06-21-2017, 03:24 PM
No.
_______

ToTheNines
06-21-2017, 03:25 PM
If you don't hate everyone, something's wrong with you.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
06-21-2017, 04:39 PM
Just newspapers spreading rumours, as usual.

CyberCubed
06-21-2017, 04:54 PM
Just newspapers spreading rumours, as usual.

Newspapers? We're in the year 2017 not 1925.

What's next, people still use payphones and go down to the local pub?

ProphetofGanja
06-21-2017, 04:57 PM
Newspapers? We're in the year 2017 not 1925.

What's next, people still use payphones and go down to the local pub?

Do you... not go down to the local pub/bar/watering hole?

Cure
06-21-2017, 05:33 PM
I've heard lots of women say that they don't like other women.

But I understand that they don't speak for all women, so I'm gonna say no.

IndigoErth
06-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Don't ya love how if a woman does a thing, then all women do a thing, and if women do a thing it is somehow entirely different than if guys to the same or very similar thing?

Are not some human beings quite hateable? We don't have to like all other women on the basis of sharing a gender. Some women are great. Some women suck. Who I've felt hate or strong dislike toward in life is pretty diverse...

Some human beings are more competitive and/or jealous than others and may be more abrasive toward who they see as competition.. but that's those individuals. Some are just crappy people in general.

Who doesn't hate humanity in general some days? There needs to be a "yes and no" option.

Splinter the boss
06-21-2017, 07:00 PM
I now recall a fight I witnessed 2 or 3 weeks ago at my school. They were 2 girls fighting and it was embarassing. Not that I advocate for fights but it was weak, slow punches and pulling of hair. In the end they ended up being jokes.

shuriken
06-21-2017, 07:36 PM
I feel uniquely qualified to answer this question as I'm a woman who was raised a misogynist.

Post-industrial American culture is an interesting mixed bag of gender pressures. From day one women are not allowed to be angry or aggressive. So they find their ways to release pressure and aggression that are more subtle. Think Mean Girls..

Now add to that the false belief That there's a zero-sum game for a finite amount of resources, and you get subtle mean girl competition.

I know there was a point in time where I used to say I hated women, again recovering misogynist here, but it was more the trappings of the narrow box of femininity that I hate it then the other women I knew living in it.

Eventually my misplaced aggression turned towards the actual problem, the fact that there are no options but pink, rather than the color pink itself.
I was gonna say something similar (Most of my friends are chicks so some would say thing like this.) And also yeah, insecurity. I had this one girlfriend who was so insecure she didn't want me to talk to any of my female friends, I told her she was nuts and that we'd meet halfway and have her meet them. Still was hella catty about it. Ugh

TheSkeletonMan939
06-21-2017, 07:55 PM
I now recall a fight I witnessed 2 or 3 weeks ago at my school. They were 2 girls fighting and it was embarassing. Not that I advocate for fights but it was weak, slow punches and pulling of hair. In the end they ended up being jokes.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/102010/1287507909_soccer-fight.gif

IndigoErth
06-21-2017, 08:08 PM
:lol: Apparently guys who are used to using their feet so much for sport aren't all that good at fighting either. Why aren't they kicking each other?

Only reason there's no hair pulling is the lack of any. lol (edit: They kind of remind me of the videos of cats sitting there play fighting batting at each other.)

Powder
06-21-2017, 08:18 PM
Why aren't they kicking each other?

'Cause their legs are the bread & butter.

Aaronardo
06-21-2017, 08:25 PM
I see greatness in this one. Popcorn it is.

Indigo, now that you brought up that cat comparison I'm gonna be staring at that gif for hours. :lol: Look at em go! Did the refs just let them tire themselves out? Is there a no hissing rule?

Mayhem
06-22-2017, 03:47 AM
All women? Definitely not. Maybe it's the girlfriends I've had, but there has been a correlation between percentage of other women they work with, and the more gossip about how bitchy and tense the environment is. More men = happier working environment for them :lol:

Splinter the boss
06-22-2017, 04:59 AM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/102010/1287507909_soccer-fight.gif
Very similar. Where is the referee?😲😲😲

Prowler
06-22-2017, 05:41 AM
'Cause their legs are the bread & butter.
Yeah. The only way for soccer players to kick each other is when they're performing slide tackles.

I see greatness in this one. Popcorn it is.

Indigo, now that you brought up that cat comparison I'm gonna be staring at that gif for hours. :lol: Look at em go! Did the refs just let them tire themselves out? Is there a no hissing rule?k

Perhaps he eventually did it and sent both off with a red card, but the gif doesn't show that because that's not the best part :tgrin:

Candy Kappa
06-22-2017, 07:27 AM
More fighting in football would have made it a lot more fun watching the game.

DestronMirage22
06-22-2017, 07:32 AM

Oh, but that's why you go to the actual stadium. You get the full experience.
Drunk people cursing all over the place, getting into fights over their favorite teams, the whole shebang. :D

Candy Kappa
06-22-2017, 07:36 AM
meh, I don't like football to begin with, or most ball sports. Rugby and American football can be fun

Aaronardo
06-22-2017, 08:12 AM

Isn't that where hockey gets more than half of its audience?

plastroncafe
06-22-2017, 08:26 AM

Really? The only fights I saw in high school were between Girls, and they were pretty brutal. Hair getting pulled out in clumps, piercings getting ripped through ears.

Where as the dudes just walked in a circle posturing and threatening each other but no one laid a hand on the other.

All bark but no bite.

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 09:01 AM
I never witnessed any girl fights at my schools, but they were always said to be harder to break apart than the guy fights.

Though, there was always at least one girl who was always involved and I did see her pull a chair out from someone next to me - and attack him when he threw his drink at her from the floor.

plastroncafe
06-22-2017, 09:12 AM
I never witnessed any girl fights at my schools, but they were always said to be harder to break apart than the guy fights.

Though, there was always at least one girl who was always involved and I did see her pull a chair out from someone next to me - and attack him when he threw his drink at her from the floor.

I'll never forget the one fight I was almost in the middle of.
It was my senior year of high school, and we were at our Ring Ceremony. Basically our class rings had come in, and we were all in the cafeteria picking them up. A girl to my left said, "Hey Amber!" And both she and I turned, me because we were packed in tight.

"I heard you were f*cking my boyfriend," was the only warning Amber got before this girl positioned her ring and tagged her right between the eyes.

I thought about breaking it up, right until the punch landed, then I nope'd out of there quick.

IndigoErth
06-22-2017, 02:27 PM
:lol: So that's what class rings are really for.

Watch it you all, I'm still wearing mine. :trazz:

As for the work place... Plenty of women where I'm at, and I work more with other women as there's presently no guys on our team. I've had a bit of resentment toward the lousy work ethic of some of the younger co-workers, but I don't dislike them as people.

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 02:53 PM
Mine needs to be resized...it's too big for my finger and it's already pretty small since it's a princess cut :lol: . Size 6.

TurtleWA
06-22-2017, 03:08 PM

I've seen a few fights over the years. Some girls. Some guys. But the one that always sticks out in my mind is from 8th grade. It was a horrible ambush. Let me explain.

We had crowed halls with top and bottom lockers. You needed to be on your knees to get into your locked if you had the bad luck of having a bottom one. Or you had to wait until the top locker person was done and then be awkwardly bent over getting into your bottom locker. Often being shoved while waiting.

Anyway, I was walking down the hall and noticed a girl on her knees getting into her locker. Then another girl popped out of the crowd behind the girl on her knees getting into her bottom locker and pulled out scissors. Chop chop the girl no longer had a ponytail. I later heard it had to do with one friend becoming involved with the others boyfriend.

Splinter the boss
06-22-2017, 03:51 PM
I've seen a few fights over the years. Some girls. Some guys. But the one that always sticks out in my mind is from 8th grade. It was a horrible ambush. Let me explain.

We had crowed halls with top and bottom lockers. You needed to be on your knees to get into your locked if you had the bad luck of having a bottom one. Or you had to wait until the top locker person was done and then be awkwardly bent over getting into your bottom locker. Often being shoved while waiting.

Anyway, I was walking down the hall and noticed a girl on her knees getting into her locker. Then another girl popped out of the crowd behind the girl on her knees getting into her bottom locker and pulled out scissors. Chop chop the girl no longer had a ponytail. I later heard it had to do with one friend becoming involved with the others boyfriend.

Scissors? That's too far. At least she didn't try and pull the other girl's hair which i think is rather painful.

TurtleWA
06-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Scissors? That's too far. At least she didn't try and pull the other girl's hair which i think is rather painful.

Yeah both sound horrible! But with the scissors I think the emotional pain, feeling violated and perhaps embarrassed would last a lot longer. That girl knew what she was doing in skipping the pulling and going straight to the chopping.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-22-2017, 06:03 PM
Mine needs to be resized...it's too big for my finger and it's already pretty small since it's a princess cut :lol: . Size 6.

Six?! Geeze that's still HUUUUGE compared to mine! My class ring (and my engagement/wedding rings) is a size FOUR. I kid you not. I have tiny hands and feet.....

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 06:09 PM
I think part of why I did that was the 5 was too uncomfortable.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Have you tried a ring pad? Little thing that clips on around the inside part od the ring (the side on your palm).

IndigoErth
06-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Me and my gargantuan 7.5 (ring finger size) over here... lol

Although to be fair, if my hands are cold they get a little too lose.

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 06:30 PM
Have you tried a ring pad? Little thing that clips on around the inside part od the ring (the side on your palm).

Huh...maybe. Not a bad idea. Cheaper too. I don't wear it a lot though

MsMarvelDuckie
06-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Well you could also use it on other loose rings too.

Mayhem
06-23-2017, 02:44 AM
Six?! Geeze that's still HUUUUGE compared to mine! My class ring (and my engagement/wedding rings) is a size FOUR. I kid you not. I have tiny hands and feet.....
Wow, someone with the same ring size as my ex at the time heh. She's put on a little weight since we split and she's now 4.5 I believe. That's still tiny though! :lol: unfortunately she's found a number of places only do 5 as smallest, so often she has to get rings reduced.

snake
06-23-2017, 02:53 AM
Mine's bigger than yours.

Utrommaniac
06-23-2017, 07:20 AM
Now, ya see, this is what's more likely to happen when women communicate than "inherently hating each other" :lol:

IndigoErth
06-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Mhmm...

"Women hate each other."

*Start talking about jewelry*

(Okay it started over a story of a ring used as a weapon, but that's how ladies roll. :P With the punches if necessarily.)

plastroncafe
06-23-2017, 11:25 AM
Wait, there's other reasons to wear jewelry than as potential weapons?

That's not what they taught us in gym class...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-23-2017, 11:35 AM
Wait, there's other reasons to wear jewelry than as potential weapons?

That's not what they taught us in gym class...

Necklaces are a liability. Go for rings... big and chunky.

plastroncafe
06-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Necklaces are a liability. Go for rings... big and chunky.

Anything is a liability if you don't know how to use it correctly and well.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Earrings are more of a liability than necklaces. A necklace can at least be tucked under a shirt unless it has a low neckline. I keep mine under my shirts all the time to avoid having it dangle and possibly get caught on stuff at work.

Utrommaniac
06-23-2017, 05:58 PM
Oh god yeah. Especially hoop earrings.

I had a phase in 2006 where I wore necklaces on a daily basis, but I honestly don't know why I stopped. Sometimes the same one every day.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-23-2017, 09:30 PM
I never take mine off. Not even for showers or to sleep. It's a little onyx and zircon-studded silver spider. Was a Christmas gift from Mr D. He knew I'd been eying it (I love spiders) so he surprised me with it a few years ago. I used to wear a little tigers-eye turtle but the chain came apart one day and the turtle fell off and cracked in half.

Utrommaniac
06-23-2017, 10:21 PM
I used to have a snake pendant in the shape of a Scottish knot (or something like it) and one day the pendant up and vanished. It was terrible, and probably the reason why I started wearing necklaces all the time. It was from the start of my "snake phase"...so it would have bee 2006 for sure.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-23-2017, 11:04 PM
I wore a pewter goddess rose pentacle for a long time until the little loop part at the top that the ring link attatched to to hold it on the necklace eventually broke apart. Since pewter is such a soft metal there was no way to fix it. Made me sad since it was my favorite necklace at the time. (I have bad luck with pendants.)