PDA

View Full Version : Do the IDW Comics need more Mirage influence?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2017, 10:10 AM
IDW has been pretty cartoon heavy for awhile lately:

Bishop, Phantoms, Darius from 4Kids; Darkwater, Krang, Dimension X from OT; Mutanimals, Dreadmon, Null, Maligna from Archie.

It feels like IDW has always been light on incorporated Mirage elements. I think the last thing we had that we could definitely point to was Donatello's death and cyborg resurrection back at #45-50? Or Utroms on an island on Earth in #56-58... Oh, and the Turtles taking over the Foot Clan.

Okay, so there has been SOME Mirage/Image influence. But it definitely feels like the least present influence of the various TMNT incarnations. What do you guys think?

Panda_Kahn_fan
06-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Not unless it suits the story, no. Mirage (I'm including image as a part of that in this entire post) was a very cerebral and compelling take on the TMNT, but at the end of the day, it is a different animal than IDW. One of the problems with the original comics, is that most of the iconic characters (including the main ones) have already appeared in other media. And most of them have appeared in IDW already. What's left behind- Gosei Hattori, Pimiko, radical, Dale Evens McGullicutty, Shadow, the vampires, complete carnage, etc.- should only be brought in if the story calls for them. And really... I don't want to see IDW redo or copy and of the mirage tales or story elements- we already have the originals, and any new comic retelling would just be a cheap imitation of the classics. So Mirage-only elements and characters should be like anything else they pull from TMNT history- only used if they have a specific story to tell with it.

neatoman
06-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Technically speaking, Leo, Raph, Don, Mike, Splinter, April, Casey, Shredder, Karai, Baxter, Honeycutt, Renet, Savanti, Rat King, Leatherhead and Zog are all Mirage studios original characters and most of them are major players.

I can't really think of that many more characters anyone would actually care to see. What did you have in mind? Dale McGillicutty?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2017, 10:28 AM
Not unless it suits the story, no. Mirage (I'm including image as a part of that in this entire post) was a very cerebral and compelling take on the TMNT, but at the end of the day, it is a different animal than IDW. One of the problems with the original comics, is that most of the iconic characters (including the main ones) have already appeared in other media. And most of them have appeared in IDW already. What's left behind- Gosei Hattori, Pimiko, radical, Sarah McGullicutty, Shadow, the vampires, complete carnage, etc.- should only be brought in if the story calls for them. And really... I don't want to see IDW redo or copy and of the mirage tales or story elements- we already have the originals, and any new comic retelling would just be a cheap imitation of the classics. So Mirage-only elements and characters should be like anything else they pull from TMNT history- only used if they have a specific story to tell with it.

I agree, and I guess it doesn't bother me THAT much because Mirage/Image comics were the best TMNT stories for my money. Those story elements don't NEED polishing and a second (better) telling... whereas Fred Wolf characters and ideas DEFINITELY need a second (better and more serious) telling. (I'm also not a fan of Archie, and have been greatly enjoying their characters and concepts being revamped.)

So basically, it boils down to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And Mirage is the least broke TMNT canon.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Also, who is McGillicutty?

(And always say no to the Justice Force, my least favorite Mirage element!)

Panda_Kahn_fan
06-22-2017, 10:31 AM

Dale Evans McGillicutty- freaky super-intelligent mutant who built a time machine, and with the TMNT's help traveled through time and prevented her own mutation. In the altered timeline she's simply just a little girl.

neatoman
06-22-2017, 10:31 AM
A character from the Mark Martin issues, a horrifically mutated little girl who travels back in time to prevent her mutation.

I'm fine with them.

DestronMirage22
06-22-2017, 10:34 AM
You can never have enough Mirage influence, can you? :D

Dale Evans McGillicutty
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Dale_Evans_McGillicutty
https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/6/61/DaleEvansMcGillicutty.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130906205431
The little girl from Mirage 16, 22, and 23.
A very underrated character who definitely deserves some modern day interpretation. (A judging by these speedy responses, I'm not the only one who thinks so).

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2017, 10:36 AM
Oh hell no, NOT THAT STORY ARC!!!! :tlol:

DestronMirage22
06-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Oh hell no, NOT THAT STORY ARC!!!! :tlol:

Yeah, apart from the first issue, the rest of the story wasn't very good.
Dale pretty much was the only redeeming factor.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2017, 10:45 AM
I now regret creating this thread, for we have strayed into WTF Mirage territory. :tlol:

Candy Kappa
06-22-2017, 10:51 AM
I'd love some more slice of life and existentialism.

neatoman
06-22-2017, 10:53 AM
I now regret creating this thread, for we have strayed into WTF Mirage territory. :tlol:

Ah yes, that reminds me, the midget skrulls.

DrSpengler
06-22-2017, 11:01 AM
As has been pointed out, nearly every single fundamental TMNT character is Mirage-based to begin with. So just by virtue of having characters like Leatherhead, the Rat King and Nobody running around, we're getting doses of Mirage-inspired content. They're just so ingrained into the multimedia franchise that they feel less like a Mirage callback and more like a given.

There are certainly more obscure characters from the Mirage comics I wouldn't mind seeing, but there's no need to force them in. And many of them, quite frankly, only appearing in 1 issue here and there, are shallow-enough that they could be substituted with an original character and who'd either notice or give a crap?

I mean, Radical and Complete Carnage might be neat, but I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for, I dunno, Jack Marlin or the King of Thieves and Hadji.

I can tell you what I DON'T want to see, and that's anymore adaptations of Mirage storylines. We already got the whole "exile to Northampton, Return to New York" thing, and that's the big storyline that nearly every incarnation adapts, but I don't want to see anymore after that. I'd prefer original plots over endless adaptations of the same narratives we've seen across multiple incarnations of the brand.

Honestly, the "Northampton/return" story is getting so stale in its rehashes, it's becoming the TMNT's "Death of Gwen Stacy". And man, if I gotta watch that chick die one more time, I'm gonna flip a table.

ProphetofGanja
06-22-2017, 11:06 AM

. Seconded.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2017, 11:13 AM
I can tell you what I DON'T want to see, and that's anymore adaptations of Mirage storylines. We already got the whole "exile to Northampton, Return to New York" thing, and that's the big storyline that nearly every incarnation adapts, but I don't want to see anymore after that. I'd prefer original plots over endless adaptations of the same narratives we've seen across multiple incarnations of the brand.

Honestly, the "Northampton/return" story is getting so stale in its rehashes, it's becoming the TMNT's "Death of Gwen Stacy". And man, if I gotta watch that chick die one more time, I'm gonna flip a table.

For the sake of discussion, what if it was pulling influence from Mirage storylines that haven't been Gwen-Stacy-neck-snapped to death?

Say, The River? Or... well, most of Mirage Volume 1 HAS been done to death, hasn't it? :tlol:

CyberCubed
06-22-2017, 11:33 AM
Wyrm is basically Bloodsucker who already is in IDW.

As I said the only major thing IDW hasn't done much with is the Triceratons. We've seen brief snippets of them, but we never had a Triceraton arc. No Triceraton tournament arena. No Triceraton Vs. Federation/Utrom/Neutrino war. No Triceratons coming to Earth.

Since they're not as war driven in this series I guess it's hard to use them. Triceratons are basically the TMNT version of Klingon's, you just always want to see them go to war and fight people.

Panda_Kahn_fan
06-22-2017, 11:40 AM
Again, I just don't know... by it's very nature, IDW is different than mirage, with a somewhat different audience. borrowed story lines and existentialist stuff might not work with this universe.

2K3
06-22-2017, 02:33 PM
Most of the Mirage-verse has been incorporated into IDW already.

The only characters/ stories from the series left that I'd love to see appear:

Characters
Miyamoto Usagi, General Blanque, Prime Leader Zanramon, Commander Mozar, King of Thieves and Louis Braunzel

Stories
Shades of Grey - Casey needs a big character boast now he and April are split.

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 02:41 PM
So basically, it boils down to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And Mirage is the least broke TMNT canon.

...Volume 4???

But yeah, IDW is doing fine as its own thing, even when taking strides from other versions. Plus there's City Fall and Northampton, which are Mirage staples. Same as the TCRI fiasco, but it was a different situation for IDW entirely.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2017, 02:59 PM
...Volume 4???

But yeah, IDW is doing fine as its own thing, even when taking strides from other versions. Plus there's City Fall and Northampton, which are Mirage staples. Same as the TCRI fiasco, but it was a different situation for IDW entirely.

Volume 4 had some damn good stuff in it; Utrom First Contact, Splinter's death, Mikey and the Triceratons/Styracodons, Donatello and the other Utroms...

But there is, of course, also the April/Renet cockroach orgy. :tgrumble:

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 03:03 PM
That is true, but those had their fair share of issues. It was honestly a little cluttered, even with the great stuff, and I can't forgive the reptile things in the Donatello arch talking like Gollum.

The Xihad storyline got left in the dirt big time, and that could have made a fantastic storyline by itself.

My personal issue with the "April and roaches" thing is more the fact that her infertility suddenly ended while she was in roach form? What a huge slap in the face to her and the readers.

Powder
06-22-2017, 03:59 PM

+ depressing stuff.

Not need, but needed. It needed to be more like Mirage, now, it's kinda too late.

You know what makes Mirage better than IDW for me? The TMNT don't feel like guest stars in their own series. This whole giant group thing is tired IMO. Extended/adoptive family is an important theme, but the turtles need more alone time. AND, on earth, they were unique. This universe is overloaded with mutants, though. The turtles are just 4 more pennies in the freak jar.

& like Speng's said, there's not much Mirage stuff they can do beyond adapting stories we've seen enough times already, or characters nobody cares about.

They've more or less found their groove, though, and there's been less punch-pulling in the last year or two. It's a good book that I rarely complain about. It's in ways not my ideal, but it's pretty satisfying.

CyberCubed
06-22-2017, 04:00 PM
None of the rest of the Mirage characters were interesting because they were intended to be one-shot characters or throwaway catalysts for a plot.

General Blanque and the Federation have been replaced by the Neutrinos...who are essentially the same thing just "good" and not war mongers. Volume 4 had no real new characters besides mutated dinosaurs and Styracodons who are just another alien dino race. Or Cha Ocho who is filled in by Jennika in this series. etc. etc.

The only thing IDW needs to explore more are the Triceratons, other than that all Mirage bases are covered.

MikeandRaph87
06-22-2017, 04:05 PM
None of the rest of the Mirage characters were interesting because they were intended to be one-shot characters or throwaway catalysts for a plot.

General Blanque and the Federation have been replaced by the Neutrinos...who are essentially the same thing just "good" and not war mongers. Volume 4 had no real new characters besides mutated dinosaurs and Styracodons who are just another alien dino race. Or Cha Ocho who is filled in by Jennika in this series. etc. etc.

The only thing IDW needs to explore more are the Triceratons, other than that all Mirage bases are covered.

I think it depends on what version you prefer. It has lended heavily on both 2003 cartoon and Archie Comics of late. I could always use more of the 1987 cartoon influence personally because thst is my favorite version. I believe a fan wants a little more of their personal favorite version mixed in. Does it need 1987 cartoon influence? I don't know. It depends on if the narrative calls for it.

As far as The Federation is concerned,why can General Blanque nit be a renagade Neutrino?

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 04:05 PM
I'm still dead certain the Neutrinos have some skeletons in their closet. While I doubt the King and Queen were involved in the Rebellion, maybe not even being involved at all, there's no way they're as peaceful as they seem to be.

CyberCubed
06-22-2017, 04:08 PM
As far as The Federation is concerned,why can General Blanque nit be a renagade Neutrino?

I guess so, but he's a rather boring character. The Federation was never anything more than a generic race of human aliens to give the Triceratons someone to fight. Even in the 4kids version they were barely any more interesting.

The Neutrinos are essentially the same thing, only they're always considered good and moral and they have pointy elf ears, so we don't need another humanoid alien race.

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 04:14 PM
There actually was a mention of the D'Hoonibs, who declared war on the Utroms and then later surrendered ( :lol: ). My best guess is that Traxus filled the Blanque place, but obviously that didn't end well for them (what military master gets killed by a marooned spoiled brat with a pointed stick and a lizard?)

MikeandRaph87
06-22-2017, 04:18 PM
I guess so, but he's a rather boring character. The Federation was never anything more than a generic race of human aliens to give the Triceratons someone to fight. Even in the 4kids version they were barely any more interesting.

The Neutrinos are essentially the same thing, only they're always considered good and moral and they have pointy elf ears, so we don't need another humanoid alien race.

My point is, I do believe there is room for them. The Federation can be a competiting ruler, a Zod-like character who is a neutrino and is disposed of. Hitler was evil and had his elite,but was Germany as a whole? No. So Blanque could be overthrown and exiled and attempt a comeback and attempt a coup of Zenter. If there is use IDW can find it!

Sophie Campbell
06-22-2017, 07:50 PM
The aspect of Mirage I'd like to see more of isn't a content/character thing, it's a format thing. We have TMNT Universe now for shorter one-off stories but I'd still love to see more Mirage-style storytelling with one-and-done villains and random adventures that don't always tie into the big plot tapestry. I like Mirage's feeling of breathing room between stories.

The monthly comic market is much different now, though, and has different narrative constaints, people demand that stories "matter" and the one-offs that don't have any plot points are "filler" to be discarded, etc. so I don't think that kind of approach would be good for business.

myconius
06-22-2017, 08:25 PM
i'd really enjoy some 'slice of life' story-telling and give the characters so breathing room. having Michelangelo finally adopting Klunk would be really nice.

i do enjoy some of the simpler one and done stories from the Mirage days. at least we finally have Tmnt:Universe which is probably the closest we'll ever get?

one thing i've been feeling for a while is sometimes the Turtles really do feel like guest stars in their own book, and that really upsets me.
i love the series, but at times the Turtles really do feel like they've been reduced to supporting cast.

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 08:33 PM
I think Raph's adoption of Pepperoni has filled the Klunk role. With everything going on with Hob, Klunk might be awkward.

CyberCubed
06-22-2017, 08:40 PM
The Wyrm issue in Universe is a perfect example of a one-shot story. It's self contained, and as far as we know, won't lead into anything else overall. Some random issues with one of the Turtles on a crazy adventure would be fine.

MikeandRaph87
06-22-2017, 09:28 PM
I think Raph's adoption of Pepperoni has filled the Klunk role. With everything going on with Hob, Klunk might be awkward.

I agree. Pepperoni is the Klunk for this series. However, was it not odd for a rurtke to have a rurtke for a pet when Raohael jept Slash as a pet? Sure, Raphael was mutated and Slash not but no backstory and plain awkward. It made me think of a human keeping a more primitive human as a let and no one batting an eye.

As far as the Mirage story-style, I am all for one off adventures , but not characters. Look at how big Baxter was after just two appearances and Rat King with a single alive appearance. The true limited usage of characters as I said drastically limits my interest in Mirage.

myconius
06-22-2017, 09:32 PM

Pepperoni really doesn't help flesh out Michelangelo as a character, which is what i'd like to see.

Raph already has plenty of friends and relations in the series.
Michelangelo has Woody and Slash which the writers seem to like to put strains on his relationships with from time to time.
he didn't even really get much time with the Mutanimals before things headed south.

plus there are plenty of people that share their household with both cats and dogs.
heck if even bunnies and cats can get along then why not?

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Bunny-Cat-Cuddle.gif

Utrommaniac
06-22-2017, 09:44 PM
Leo and Don are super in the "no friends town" as well. Don's been cut off from Harold and Leo...

myconius
06-22-2017, 10:02 PM
Leo and Don are super in the "no friends town" as well. Don's been cut off from Harold and Leo...

at least we got to spend plenty of time with Don when he was hanging around Harold.
and now that Harold is out of the picture we can really feel the void on Don missing him.
plus Don has seemed to bond with Fugitoid.

Leonardo has always spent most of his down time training.
in the beginning of the series at least we'd get to see tending his swords, and practicing.
not so much lately though.
last time we go to spend any quality time with Leo in the Dojo i thing was when he was training Foot soldiers with Alopex.

CyberCubed
06-23-2017, 12:25 AM
The less extra characters the better, they introduced a lot of human characters that don't really get much focus get written out after awhile. I completely forgot about Lindsey's girlfriend who works for Null until recently since I flipped through the old Mutanimals mini for example. It's the same reason I'm glad Winter and Knight were written out recently, it's too many extra characters.

There's also now Harold's wife, Lindsey is still around, Jennika, Woody, April's parents, in addition to Harold, Angel, etc. Sometimes it gets too cluttered.

***First of Two Latin Kings***
06-23-2017, 03:59 AM
I would love to see IDW's use of the organic exosuit motif from Vol. 4. The second mutation for Raphael also has a lot of merit.

The IDW series acknowledges that the Mirage universe exists in B & R Destroy Everything. There will probably be a crossover story at some point with black and white turtles with red bandanas.

Utrommaniac
06-23-2017, 07:06 AM
I imagine organic exosuits would be a necessity on Burnow, since they don't really have a lot of resources and are cut off from the world, and their population is probably going to explode in the next few years for them.

myconius
06-23-2017, 10:14 AM
The less extra characters the better, they introduced a lot of human characters that don't really get much focus get written out after awhile. I completely forgot about Lindsey's girlfriend who works for Null until recently since I flipped through the old Mutanimals mini for example. It's the same reason I'm glad Winter and Knight were written out recently, it's too many extra characters.

There's also now Harold's wife, Lindsey is still around, Jennika, Woody, April's parents, in addition to Harold, Angel, etc. Sometimes it gets too cluttered.

myself i wasn't really wanting to introduce more human characters into the fold.

i'd just like to see Michelangelo adopt a scrappy little stray cat named Klunk.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/tmnt/klunk1.jpg

mrmaczaps
06-23-2017, 12:54 PM
myself i wasn't really wanting to introduce more human characters into the fold.

i'd just like to see Michelangelo adopt a scrappy little stray cat named Klunk.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/tmnt/klunk1.jpg

That would be cool.

I'd also like to see the Turtles all wear red for an arc or three. Find some reason, mayne splinter gets killed, and they honor him by dropping the corny color coded bs bandanas for a more team theme red. So, what i really mean, is say goodbye to the color coded bandanas.

myconius
06-23-2017, 02:59 PM
That would be cool.

I'd also like to see the Turtles all wear red for an arc or three. Find some reason, mayne splinter gets killed, and they honor him by dropping the corny color coded bs bandanas for a more team theme red. So, what i really mean, is say goodbye to the color coded bandanas.

i won't be devastated if IDW Michelangelo never adopts Clunk,
but i think it'd be a shame to loose that character development for him.
for the most part all IDW Mikey does in his down time is Read comics and eat pizza.

speaking of red bandanas, i really hope the IDW Turtles will eventually meet their Mirage counterparts at some point.
it'd be cool it they meet the Mirage Turtles some time shortly after Return to NY happens.

mrmaczaps
06-23-2017, 04:06 PM
i won't be devastated if IDW Michelangelo never adopts Clunk,
but i think it'd be a shame to loose that character development for him.
for the most part all IDW Mikey does in his down time is Read comics and eat pizza.

speaking of red bandanas, i really hope the IDW Turtles will eventually meet their Mirage counterparts at some point.
it'd be cool it they meet the Mirage Turtles some time shortly after Return to NY happens.

So a meeting of IDW & Mirage before Mirage v2? I'd rather see a post vol 4 Mirage group show up, but prior to them going all their seperate ways... but, with no current end to vol 4....

Edit: I'd like to see more down to earth, self contained home life stories for them... and some without their bandanas sequences.

CyberCubed
06-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Mirage barely introduced any major recurring characters, the only few who have yet to appear in IDW:

- General Blanque and the Federation as we said. And likewise they've been replaced by the Neutrinos. I guess they could make Blanque into a Neutrino but I doubt anyone cares.

- Complete Carnage and Radical. Does anyone care?

- The Justice Force like Stainless Steel Steve, Metalhead (Justice Force version), Zippy Lad, Battling Bernice and Doc Dome. Who the hell wants to see them?

- Casey's cousin Sid. I don't...think he's needed. We already have Hun as Casey's abusive family member in this series.

- Bloodsucker and Wyrm are essentially the same character with a different name.

- Cha Ocho...who is essentially replaced by Jennika in this version.

And besides that Mirage was just filled with one-off monsters, mystical beings, gangsters, robots or aliens, etc...that every TMNT series already has their own versions of.

So I think IDW has covered nearly all the Mirage characters that people care about.

myconius
06-23-2017, 04:28 PM
So a meeting of IDW & Mirage before Mirage v2? I'd rather see a post vol 4 Mirage group show up, but prior to them going all their seperate ways... but, with no current end to vol 4....

Edit: I'd like to see more down to earth, self contained home life stories for them... and some without their bandanas sequences.

the reason i'd like to see the Mirage Turtles show up post-RTNY is that was when they were in their Prime. :D

Volume 4 for me was pretty Meh. i respect that it exists, but i don't hold it as cherished as the canon stories from Volume 1.
even Volume 2 was a bit lackluster.

Image Volume 3 was pretty dang awesome!!
although it's supposed to be a continuation of Mirage, it really feels like it's a whole other universe unto itself.

perhaps a meeting of the IDW Turtles and Mirage Turtles just after they've first met Renet (and Cerebus)?

Utrommaniac
06-23-2017, 04:29 PM
And storylines.

Such as City Fall, Northampton, and War for New York (or whichever the "Shredder's dead, everyone fight" one is called)

mrmaczaps
06-23-2017, 06:17 PM
And storylines.

Such as City Fall, Northampton, and War for New York (or whichever the "Shredder's dead, everyone fight" one is called)

Return to NY & City at War along with the Northampton arcs have been covered by City Fall from IDW... I wouldn't mind seeing a few more standalone tales... There can still be background stuff for the arc, but a couple quiet, one and done moments would be fun.

CyberCubed
06-23-2017, 07:06 PM
Heh, I also forgot about Mr. Braunze from Volume 2, and he got a few more appearances in Volume 4 and Tales. Another generic and rather forgettable character.

myconius
06-24-2017, 08:50 AM
Heh, I also forgot about Mr. Braunze from Volume 2, and he got a few more appearances in Volume 4 and Tales. Another generic and rather forgettable character.

it's really funny you should mention Mr. Braunze.

a short while ago i was trying for the life of me to remember this guy's name! :lol:

Panda_Kahn_fan
06-24-2017, 09:05 AM
I was thinking Braunze could've been used as the good guy government agent against bishop, but we have Knight for that. So the Doc savage Expy is kind of useless here.

CyberCubed
06-24-2017, 11:44 AM
I'm currently re-read Tales V. 2...and for a series that went on for literally 70 issues...nothing much really happens. Sure, we get glimpses at all the different portions of the TMNT's lives, and they do tie up some loose ends lingering from the main series, and also show us the Future TMNT, but other than some new good stories with Leatherhead and some extra Foot Soldier fights...it's all basically non-essential. I enjoy most of the issues, but it's all just there.

There's really not much to mine from Mirage TMNT into other universes, honestly. Mirage TMNT focused mainly on slice of life stuff or random adventures outside of the big issues where the major characters were introduced, so there's not much to adapt.

Sophie Campbell
06-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Also I'd like more Mirage-style short stories like the ones in the old Shell Shock collection and Turtle Soup, those are some of my faves. An IDW TMNT anthology series with lots of day-in-the-life type stories and small one-off adventures in the vein of Survival Game and New York Ninja! I love that stuff.

myconius
06-24-2017, 09:28 PM
Also I'd like more Mirage-style short stories like the ones in the old Shell Shock collection and Turtle Soup, those are some of my faves. An IDW TMNT anthology series with lots of day-in-the-life type stories and small one-off adventures in the vein of Survival Game and New York Ninja! I love that stuff.

if it ever happened, that IDW anthology series idea would be awesome.

Shell Shock is definitely one of my favorite books from the early Mirage era.
'The Road Trip' is is a lot of fun. :D

Challenges is great too! Leo secretly signing Raph up for the Barry Manilow fan club. :lol:

Utrommaniac
06-24-2017, 09:32 PM
If I were able to, I personally would do a few Krang-based ones.

Basically just one with him watching human activity - maybe around a holiday like New Year's - and being a little bitter and locking himself in the stasis room. And another where he's getting some things ready for post-terraforming, like an area for growing native Utrominion plants. Maybe seeing where the younger Utroms are kept in stasis. Because there's no way the population is made up entirely adults.

Maybe a few of Harold and Donatello working together on stuff.

dawwe
06-24-2017, 10:10 PM
Does it NEED more Mirage influence? No. Would more Mirage influence be a bad thing? Probably not. But I trust them to pick and choose and mold their own take, based on what they think will work best for the comic.

CyberCubed
06-24-2017, 10:22 PM
I just read a Tales of the TMNT issue where the Turtles fight a mutant bunny rabbit in Mirage (No, really):

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2009/09/tales-of-tmnt-vol-2-62.html

Whoever said Mirage didn't have random mutants or monsters must not have read most of it's issues.

Utrommaniac
06-24-2017, 10:26 PM
It even pulls some of the tired ol' tropes that the 87 show would have pulled.

"The cute thing is evil!"
"Surrrre it is, sure."
"Don't go! It'll do it again any second now!"

Redeemer
06-25-2017, 08:01 AM
By tone if you mean art style then yes :D Thats one thing I loved about Dan Duncan was his art looked like modern mirage. Hopefully they will eventually go back to the more gritty style early on.

myconius
06-25-2017, 01:21 PM
By tone if you mean art style then yes :D Thats one thing I loved about Dan Duncan was his art looked like modern mirage. Hopefully they will eventually go back to the more gritty style early on.

i absolutely LOVE Dan Duncan's art that he did for the first 12 issues! :D

gritty but also very animated. the panels of Chet shushing up Lindsey from divulging too much info to April were brilliant.

mrmaczaps
06-25-2017, 05:08 PM
What about a Turtles forever style comic book mini series?

Do a Mirage issue that leads into a FW toon issue to the Image series to the 2k3 series to the Archie series (once it was seperate from FW like stories) to IDW series and then double size final issue that leaves the IDW Turtles aware of their counter-parts and wearing red bandanas... lol

CyberCubed
06-25-2017, 05:11 PM
Re-reading Tales, a few more Mirage characters:

- The Shredder Shark. Would be rather impossible in this series since there are no Shredder clones. Plus we already have Bludgeon. I'd also rather see Armaggon debut if we need another shark character.

- Hattori Gosei, Splinter's friend from issue #9

- The guy from the Halloween issue, he returned in a Tales issue

etc.

Look through Tales V. 2 issues:

http://www.miragelicensing.com/comics/mirage/talesvol2/tales.html

Despite 70 issues, most of it is just slice of life or one and done stories against nameless Foot Soldiers, human criminals/gangsters, or random monsters and aliens.

Mirage stories don't really have characters to use for other universes much.

Nortock Diab
06-26-2017, 01:01 AM
If ever IDW needed to be more Mirage, the solution would not be introducing "Mirage" characters or story plots.

What characterizes Mirage is a tone, a mood..., how a story is told rather than the story itself.

Coola Yagami
06-26-2017, 02:32 AM
Exactly, it's not so much the stories or the blood. It's just the depressing fact that the turtles are one of a kind and are destined to die alone. IDW already sailed that boat with all the other mutants running around. It's too late in the story to suddenly get all somber and depressing, though Casey's dad being a drunk and beating him was kinda Mirage-ish.

mrmaczaps
06-26-2017, 05:04 AM
What about the super hero group and the super hero/ff version of the Turtles from v2 of Tales? The Nick/Animated Mikey would love that... Could really show a big difference on take if the Animated Turtles met the Mirage Turtles.

CyberCubed
06-27-2017, 12:52 AM
Let's go through Tales V. 2, since most of the core Mirage villains and characters are already in IDW. I'll go issue by issue, here's all the comics for reference:

http://thetechnodrome.com/comics/tales_vol_2/

Issue:

1. TMNT meet some dying worm/humanoid people. No real use for this in IDW
2. Splinter fights a Foot or ninja Mystic, in IDW
3. Shredder clone shark, unusable in IDW
4. Same as above it was a 2-parter
5. Leo is blinded by a Foot ninja
6. Cha Ocho's backstory, he has no real place in IDW since Jennika is there
7. Turtles fight werewolfs, no real place in IDW
8. Leatherhead issue, in IDW
9. Klunk's death
10. Jewish Golem, no point in IDW
11. Speed ninja's, no real point in IDW since we had similar characters
12. Shadow/Raph kill two perverts in Paris who kill teenage girls...yeah, no.
13. Time traveling Leo with an Ape god, as well as cat race of people. I don't see IDW using this.
14. Same as above
15. Casey races a ghost with a huge head, no
16. Don fights Jell-aliens that kill Utroms, too generic
17. Turtles fight giant bugs/roaches, again no real point
18. Don and an Utrom just go on an underwater aventure
19. Turtles fight the ghost of Oroku Nagi, he doesn't exist in IDW
20. Fish woman returns from Volume 2, no real point
21. Cow boy of Moo mesa crossover
22. Tang Shen's sister, can't be used in IDW because Tang Shen existed hundreds of years ago
23. Leatherhead again, evil Utroms.
24.T urtles find two children in robot suits from Pangea, not usable
25. Just a Foot soldier fight
26. Turtles fight videogame cheaters
27. April goes on a journey after finding out she's a drawing
28. Cha Ocho again
29. Styracadon story, not introduced in IDW
30. Giant worms/dream issue
31. Casey's fights a dream/evil version of himself
32. Savanti Romero who is in IDW
33. Shark Shredder returns, unusable
34. Hamato Yoshi's niece, not usable in IDW
35. Rat King's backstory in the Pantheon, already done
36. Gang war Foot story, in IDW
37. Casey makes up fake backstory for himself
38. Toddler Turtle story
39. Raph fights werewolfs...again
40. Future Raph story where he fights Foot
41. Future Leo story, kills Complete Carnage. Radical dies, these characters have no place in IDW
42. Turtles fight silly Utrom created robot
43. Cousin Sid returns, his character is pointless in IDW
44. Karai backstory, we're getting this differently
45. Turtles fight generic monster
46. A teen Foot Soldier story
47. Super Turtles, unless we get an alternate universe no point in IDW
48. The Decider...crap villain
49. Mr. Braunze...again forgettable character
50. Leatherhead on monster island like Hunger games, this is actually good to use
51. Turtles crossover with Gutwallow and fight monsters, not really usable
52. Cowboy of Moo messa crossover
53. Silly story about a toy
54. Fugitoid ponders if he exists in the robot body
55. Just a slice of life story
56. Hun is introduced, he's in IDW
57. Generic criminal story
58. Final Cowboy of Moo Mesa crossover
59. Gangwar told from the story of a journalist
60. Nobody comes back as a superhero, Angel is him in this 'verse
61. Turtles fight Mousers...again
62. Turtles fight a mutant bunny
63. Sequel to the Leatherhead on the monster island story
64. More gangwar stories
65. Turtles fight snow monsters created by Foot Mystic
66. Turtles free kidnapped dogs from criminals
67. Shadow's first day of school, she doesn't exist in IDW
68. Turtles save Robin from cancer, April's sister doesn't exist
69. Future Story with Shadow, she doesn't exist in IDW...yet
70. Another Return to New York story with Zog

So out of 70 issues from Tales, as you can see, there really isn't much to take and bring into IDW. The Turtles don't really fight important enemies in IDW, and the few interesting stores Tales does have involves the Future TMNT.

I think the issues with Leatherhead fighting in a Hunger Games scenario on a monster island is the most usable.

Utrommaniac
06-27-2017, 07:21 AM
12. God, that was a weird one...
17. Just Raphael, Donatello and Casey in this one.
42. Just Raphael in this one; Casey does most of the robot fighting

Interestingly enough, Glurin is kind of at the heart of 17 and 42, since he's the one who accidentally sent them to the bug dimension in the first place (combo of his being drunk and a cockroach). In 42, he designed the robot the way he did because he's a NERD who wanted to test Casey...who can't pronounce "Raphael" and blends the name with the others.

A lot of these feature turtles mostly on their own, or in duos.

Andrew NDB
06-27-2017, 10:59 AM
IDW has been pretty cartoon heavy for awhile lately:

Bishop, Phantoms, Darius from 4Kids; Darkwater, Krang, Dimension X from OT; Mutanimals, Dreadmon, Null, Maligna from Archie.

It feels like IDW has always been light on incorporated Mirage elements. I think the last thing we had that we could definitely point to was Donatello's death and cyborg resurrection back at #45-50? Or Utroms on an island on Earth in #56-58... Oh, and the Turtles taking over the Foot Clan.

Okay, so there has been SOME Mirage/Image influence. But it definitely feels like the least present influence of the various TMNT incarnations. What do you guys think?

That was my problem with the comic, basically. While you could point to a few minor things that basically seem Mirage, every story and plot point and teaser it just feels like the IDW comic is so excited to get to the next big Fred Wolf thing around the corner.

Panda_Kahn_fan
06-27-2017, 11:29 AM
I think outside of Gosei Hattori, Radical, the battle nexus, complete carnage, and maybe a few other characters, most mirage story and characters are so context specific to the Mirage universe that using them elsewhere is difficult, at best. Shadow can't work here yet, and the vampires an monsters are so generic that you might as well make new ones. The question is; what story and characters would work from Mirage, in the universe that's already established and built up so far in IDW?

CyberCubed
06-27-2017, 11:36 AM
The question is; what story and characters would work from Mirage, in the universe that's already established and built up so far in IDW?

As I said, I can see them having Leatherhead hunted by Mr. Marlin or other hunters, he was also in the 4kids episode. But I'd prefer the Hunger Games "island for survival" story from Tales for that.

And as said, most enemies from Mirage were just one-shot or nameless villains. The Turtles fought tons of random Foot Soldiers, some Foot Mystics, some regular criminals/gangsters, some generic one-shot aliens, and some monsters like werewolfs/vampires/Mummies/eyeball monsters/tentacle monsters/giant bugs, etc...that they fight in every TMNT universe anyway. Almost all this stuff is already done in IDW.

If people really want to see the IDW Turtles fight werewolves/vampires, etc, maybe they can make some weird monster arc then. Because other than that, there's not much else to take from Mirage.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-27-2017, 11:37 AM
I think outside of Gosei Hattori, Radical, the battle nexus, complete carnage, and maybe a few other characters, most mirage story and characters are so context specific to the Mirage universe that using them elsewhere is difficult, at best. Shadow can't work here yet, and the vampires an monsters are so generic that you might as well make new ones. The question is; what story and characters would work from Mirage, in the universe that's already established and built up so far in IDW?

Really, probably only the Battle Nexus. Or maybe a generic Marlin-style hunter. Klunk, of course.

I think Powder said it best; it's too late to go Mirage, as Mirage is more a tone and atmosphere than a sequence of events.