PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Compressed & Decompressed Storytelling and the TMNT

TurtleWA
06-22-2017, 10:01 PM
Compressed storytelling versus decompressed storytelling:pros and cons

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbr.com/compressed-storytelling-versus-decompressed-storytelling-pros-and-cons/amp/

Do you have a preference when it involves the TMNT stories?

neatoman
06-23-2017, 04:08 AM
I can't really think of any example like the "Drop a glass" page in that article where it feels like a complete waste of time, Casey and April might have needed some compression but I can't think of any TMNT comics that were so decompressed that it wasted time on irrelevant information.

On the other hand I can tell you of a TMNT that is so compressed it all feels like disjointed story elements glued together by environmentalism in some bizarre way... Ahem...

oldmanwinters
06-23-2017, 08:12 AM
I generally prefer lots of dialogue in my comics. Word balloon placement is an art unto itself.

clockstomper
06-24-2017, 12:45 AM
Balance is key. I feel a lot of Laird's solo work is too decompressed. Eastman has been criticized for packing in all action and little plot (I don't know that I agree, I'll admit Bodycount certainly had that issue.)

I think IDW gets it just right between action and character development.

mrmaczaps
06-24-2017, 05:34 AM
Modern comics in general have an issue (ha) with writing for the trade, rather than writing and then just collect the trade as it fits... not just TMNT stuff.

Mirage is great with its mostly self contained issues to the few arcs (vol 1) to the small arcs that are vol 2 and vol 3. Volume 4 was a nice ongoing narrative but then it just never ended.

Tales v1 was solo issues and v2 was a bit of both with some odd gaps between arcs vs the issue to issue arcs. Which made reading it all kind of confusing as ine issue will end without being "the end" and the ext issue was a different story...

I much prefer the late 80s/early 90s Superman books storytelling. Each title, 3 then 4 books, had its own sub characters and focus but all could tell the primary tale of Superman, ongoing between books and subplots would pop up or change between books so you still got a well rounded idea of what was going on...

IDWs miniseries, specifically the Casey & April crap could have been shorter and squeezed into the main book as either a backup tale or trimmed a bit and been every other couple of pages with a "meanwhile, Casey & April...." or something.

Panda_Kahn_fan
06-24-2017, 09:09 AM
I think the problem is a story that moves along waay too fast, with too many characters for much focus on any of them. A hundred plots all flying around at once, with one getting resolved, and another immediately creeping up. After 100, I'm hoping the plots and characters slow down a bit, with a bigger focus on the TMNT.