PDA

View Full Version : Would TMNT novels be a good idea?

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
06-24-2017, 05:17 AM
Since there are novels based on Startrek and Starwars, franchises most people see as a TV series respective films, do you think it would be a good idea to have novels based on TMNT?, a franchise most see as comics, animation and films.

With novels, I mean independent stories in novel-form, not novelized films (that has already happened) or a a short children's storybook with just a few pages, which often already is mainly an episode adaption. Also, of course, I don't mean fanfiction.

Splinter the boss
06-24-2017, 06:07 AM
I think it could work as long as the stories are good and are not like tmnt stories we've seen before.

neatoman
06-24-2017, 06:29 AM
Not against the idea, why would I be? Why would anyone be?

mrmaczaps
06-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Untapped story potential.
There could be a couple of series, based on storylines from the various other versions continued in novel format. Spectacular idea.

06-24-2017, 09:16 AM
I guess such stories should explore more about the characters and locations.

Panda_Kahn_fan
06-24-2017, 10:07 AM
This could be a great Idea, if done properly. We already have children's storybooks, so this idea could be pushed towards the teen/adult fan. Many fans of such things would say to base it on Mirage or IDW, but I think the best thing to do would be to give an interested author access to the Mirage, Archie, and IDW universe comics, set a few basic parameters, then give them creative freedom to craft their own tale.

plastroncafe
06-24-2017, 10:09 AM
I really did get a big kick out of the Original Toon novels back in the day.
New ones could be a fantastic idea.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-24-2017, 10:34 AM
Limited demand, I'm afraid, though if they were competently written AND set in a non-cartoon canon, I'd be all over them...

CyberCubed
06-24-2017, 11:40 AM
Heh, anyone have the novel adaptions of the first 4 movies? Random House made novels for kids based on the first 3 movies, and even the 2007 movie got a novel adaption.

snake
06-24-2017, 12:51 PM
Totally. I also read the OT books and enjoyed them.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-24-2017, 02:31 PM
Novels? Heck yeah! I'd read them. Then again, fan fiction already sort of does this. I've read quite a few novel-length ones (and even written a couple). It would be great if something like that could be done officially- or even something like the "Kindle Worlds" books done by Amazon. Those are officially sanctioned and produced fan-fic novels based on various franchises, and TMNT would be an awesome addition to something like that!

Jester
06-24-2017, 04:32 PM
I really did get a big kick out of the Original Toon novels back in the day.
New ones could be a fantastic idea.
I have some that I plan on sharing with Trey and Duncan once they are old enough...that and the Random House books, but those are good now.

CyberCubed
06-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Do kids these days even read books?

FredWolfLeonardo
06-24-2017, 04:56 PM
I would like a tmnt novel but only if its based off an existing version rather than something new because tmnt is a highly visual medium and you have an ingrained image of a certain version of turtles, certain background music (if you're watching cartoons and movies), certain voices etc.

snake
06-24-2017, 05:07 PM

oh my gooooood

neatoman
06-24-2017, 05:12 PM

http://westsidetoastmasters.com/resources/book_of_body_language/images/156-hand_on_cheek.jpg

IndigoErth
06-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Confession... if it can't get more films, I have been wanted PD to at least have more books and written similarly to the movie novelizations.

Esp similar to the first book... which being based on a cruddy script and the writing in the book wasn't all that great, to the point that it was sort of unintentionally funny at times, it was a bit of a guilty pleasure.

06-25-2017, 12:07 PM
I added a poll now.

DestronMirage22
06-26-2017, 02:03 PM
They'd be a great idea!
Provided they're well written.

Alien and Predator have had series of novels published and new ones still come out, and a lot of the fanbase enjoy them. It'd be nice for TMNT to have something like that.

FearlessLeader
06-26-2017, 08:09 PM
If they were well-written and allowed deeper explanation of character development they could be great.

I know Walking Dead has done this, produced stand alone novels to compliment storylines or ideas they didn't have time to cover in the show.

I'd certainly buy and read them if they had interesting concepts.

I'm actually curious how well they'd be received by a mainstream audience as I'm picturing books aimed more at young adult/ adult level.

Technogeek29
06-27-2017, 12:12 AM
Just sounds like a another medium to explore, no reason it can't be good now can it? Get someone who can write good action scenes, heartfelt moments that don't come off as too after school special and you're set.

06-27-2017, 03:50 PM
I thnk there could've been:

*Backstories for characters like Krang, the Kraang or Chrell
*Exploring more of Dimension X, the Theta Galaxy or whatever, and the conflicts
*Journal of April O'Neil (like the Archieverse tried in comic form when the turtles visited Brazil)
*Lives of the turtles as infants and young children (post-mutation)
*Stories set in future timelines or an alternate Earth's
*Streetgang life for the Purple Dragons
*The background of Splinter in Japan and Foot history
*The life of John Bishop (since he fascinates so many fans these days, just like Krang)

Of course, such stories would be fore more active fans, and not the causual person in his or her 30's who just has the 1987-1996 series as a childhood memory, and maybe goes to the cinema watching the new films, and nothing more...

DisKosh
06-27-2017, 04:22 PM

Of course, not as many as there should be of course but millennials read more than Baby Boomers so I'm sure Gen Y will follow.

As for whether there should be TMNT novels: Yes! Oh God, please!

The thing is, I love the comics, the art is amazing, the stories: fantastic, characterisation: perfect! Only thing is, I keep getting distracted and find it harder to focus on comics. I find novels much easier to read especially the emotional ones.

Splinter the boss
06-27-2017, 04:28 PM
I thnk there could've been:

*Backstories for characters like Krang, the Kraang or Chrell
*Exploring more of Dimension X, the Theta Galaxy or whatever, and the conflicts
*Journal of April O'Neil (like the Archieverse tried in comic form when the turtles visited Brazil)
*Lives of the turtles as infants and young children (post-mutation)
*Stories set in future timelines or an alternate Earth's
*Streetgang life for the Purple Dragons
*The background of Splinter in Japan and Foot history
*The life of John Bishop (since he fascinates so many fans these days, just like Krang)

Of course, such stories would be fore more active fans, and not the causual person in his or her 30's who just has the 1987-1996 series as a childhood memory, and maybe goes to the cinema watching the new films, and nothing more...

All great ideas you have there.

06-28-2017, 07:49 AM
All great ideas you have there.

Or how about:
*April April O'Neil's carrer and family
*Baxter Stockman's backstory
*Casey Jones and his struggle with the Purple Dragons
*Child-characters like Angel, Buffy Shellhammer, Caitlin, Foster Fenwick, Kevin Tyler, Oyuki and Walt.
*Human Irma's dates (some romantic-comedy humour)
*Shredder turning the Foot to crime

I think not all would actually focus on the turtles themselves.

Splinter the boss
06-28-2017, 08:44 AM
I would totally read them. Tell me which one would you prefer over the other, the novels or the shorts? Indeed if it was a thing.

06-28-2017, 10:21 AM
I checked out the Internet what kind of novels Starwars and Startrek has:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tales_from_the_Mos_Eisley_Cantina

TMNT could have a simialir with the bar on the Volcanic Asteroid (which we saw in the "Dimension X Story" episode)

Allio
06-29-2017, 05:49 AM
Would be cool, we never had a novel universe for TMNT before.

pferreira
06-29-2017, 08:31 AM
I'm all for it. As long as the writing is approachable and the covers look like someone put actual effort into them why not?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-29-2017, 09:24 AM
I checked out the Internet what kind of novels Starwars and Startrek has:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tales_from_the_Mos_Eisley_Cantina

TMNT could have a simialir with the bar on the Volcanic Asteroid (which we saw in the "Dimension X Story" episode)

The thing about the popular Star Wars and Star Trek novels is that the vast majority of them are written to take place in between film/TV canon.

Of the five Star Trek series, four of the novel series are all set years after the last "on screen" story, continuing the narrative.

Same for Star Wars, with all of the post-ROTJ canon (or pre-TPM canon).

TMNT doesn't really have that available... but it also doesn't have the mainstream/adult cred, either.

GoldMutant
06-29-2017, 12:55 PM
As long as it doesn't require using specific incarnations, I'd say the novels would be fun to do depending on the direction taken.

IndigoErth
06-29-2017, 01:08 PM
Young Adult genre please. So it's an enjoyable easy read for adult fans while still being manageable for older kids ready to tackle moderately larger novels. (Depending on subject matter, etc. of individual books of course with a parent's okay.)

If I could sit outside on a nice breezy summer day like this with a good, fun novel based on my boys, that would be awesome. http://i.imgur.com/eiqyVEL.png?1

(Though I'd prefer more earthbound stories, esp if Star Wars and Star Trek already do it a lot by nature.)

newfan
08-07-2017, 04:09 AM
I suppose they'd vary in carnations if they wanted to suit all or create a new one specifically for a novel series. I'd try one, I read a couple of Star Trek novels when I was younger as I wanted more Original Cast stories.

Shark_Blade
08-07-2017, 05:58 AM
A little bit of action, some Apritello romance in there, a bit of love triangle between LeoKarai and LeoRaph Turtlecest and BAM!

Instant classic novel.

Splinter the boss
08-07-2017, 07:15 AM
Wow!:-?:-?

IndigoErth
08-07-2017, 08:58 AM
I think it's title should be Kindling.

As in...
https://www.iceagenow.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Book-Burning.jpg

MsMarvelDuckie
08-07-2017, 01:27 PM
A little bit of action, some Apritello romance in there, a bit of love triangle between LeoKarai and LeoRaph Turtlecest and BAM!

Instant classic novel.

I might read that if it was written well but I think it might be aimed at too much of a niche audience to be a bestseller. Most fans might not be comfirtable with some of the more controversial elements there. That said, you'd have better luck marketing that idea under a romance or adult fantasy genre.

I think it's title should be Kindling.

As in...
https://www.iceagenow.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Book-Burning.jpg

Oh, I don't know; it might be a real "hot" read lol!! At least for some fans anyway....

pferreira
08-10-2017, 09:01 AM
That said, you'd have better luck marketing that idea under a romance or adult fantasy genre. Mills and Boon? :lol: