PDA

View Full Version : The Best (and worst) Parts about Summer

TurtleWA
06-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Worst thing I hate are sunburns for sure. I like the smell of cut grass and rain after it's been really hot. Also of course bbq food. And a new worst thing would be the attached photo. What are some of your summertime things?

MsMarvelDuckie
06-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Worst- the heat. Like seriously, the heat index has already been up to 107! And it gets so humid, and almost no wind most of the time so it feels even hotter than the high 90s to 100's it is.

Good things- the kids out of school so we have extra help in the mornings at work.

Prowler
06-25-2017, 02:24 PM
Worst- the heat. Like seriously, the heat index has already been up to 107! And it gets so humid, and almost no wind most of the time so it feels even hotter than the high 90s to 100's it is.

Good things- the kids out of school so we have extra help in the mornings at work.
I know that feel. My country has been feeling like a tropical south eats asian country almost lately. There's have been about nearly 20 days since April-May with pretty high max temps(oer 30C) thus far and also a few days with insanely high max temps(it hit and surpassed 40C even). Today it rained a bit... but it has also rained during hot as hell days as nights. What do you even wear when it's raining outside but pretty hot at the same time?! :lol:

So yeah, the intense heat is the worst. Also, the month of August. That's the worst month of the year by far. So many businesses are closed and many plumbers, doctors, etc. go on vacations and thus if you need something fixed or to go to the dentist... good luck. :tgrumble:

AT-Man
06-25-2017, 03:04 PM
Worst: ticks and mosquitoes.

Best: everything else.

Candy Kappa
06-25-2017, 03:08 PM
The worst part is the heat, getting sunburned the second I step outside and the heeeaat...

But despite not being able to be a functioning human being in summertime cause I'm busy dealing with my body shutting down from the temperature or avoid drowning in my own sweat, or turning into a piece of charcoal. I love summer aesthetically at least, wild animals run around, cool springs, rivers and pools in forests. And flowers all colorful

CyberCubed
06-25-2017, 03:28 PM
People, just wear t-shirts and shorts, and take a water bottle with you when you go out of the house in summer. It's not that hard to wear less clothes in hot weather.

Prowler
06-25-2017, 03:31 PM
The worst part is the heat, getting sunburned the second I step outside and the heeeaat...

But despite not being able to be a functioning human being in summertime cause I'm busy dealing with my body shutting down from the temperature or avoid drowning in my own sweat, or turning into a piece of charcoal. I love summer aesthetically at least, wild animals run around, cool springs, rivers and pools in forests. And flowers all colorful
Yeah I sunburn easily as well.

And sweating is awful. I've been spending most of my days at home shirtless and wearing boxers only.

Candy Kappa
06-25-2017, 03:37 PM
People, just wear t-shirts and shorts, and take a water bottle with you when you go out of the house in summer. It's not that hard to wear less clothes in hot weather.

https://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/you-dont-say.jpg?quality=88&w=600&h=350

what wisdom.

For reference, I wear t-shirts during wintertime when it hits -20F

Prowler
06-25-2017, 03:42 PM
https://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/you-dont-say.jpg?quality=88&w=600&h=350

what wisdom.

For reference, I wear t-shirts during wintertime when it hits -20F
If you wear a t shirt and/or shorts when it's under 20C here people will look at you as if you're crazy. Or even at 20-21C if it's windy.

CyberCubed
06-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Well don't you usually wear black? Dark colors absorb heat, wear light colors like yellow, white, orange, etc. in summer.

Candy Kappa
06-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Why are you giving out kindergarten level information about staying cool in summer time?

Prowler
06-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Well don't you usually wear black? Dark colors absorb heat, wear light colors like yellow, white, orange, etc. in summer.
I like darker colours and metal and t-shirts too much :)

Candy Kappa
06-25-2017, 04:04 PM
Another worst with summer. The company I work for don't have shorts in the work clothes election, and we get chastised by company evaluates that does sample tests on stores if they have the right attire.

But, I'm using shorts anyway for the most part, cause I can't function with thick work pants on, the work shirt is a nightmare on it's own. Luckily I'm the one who have to work in the walk-in fridge to stock up om milk and other cold storage foods, cause it's to cold for everyone else. But we're usually alone on evening shifts and it's not a re-stocking day

TurtleWA
06-25-2017, 04:07 PM

Why are you giving out kindergarten level information about staying cool in summer time?

Cubed just cares about his fellow dromers. Maybe he is also secretly in the PSA creating business so it's on his mind. Idk. :lol:

YEQUJu9YPcg

Cure
06-25-2017, 04:44 PM
All of Summer sucks to me. Too hot. I do better in the winter.

IndigoErth
06-25-2017, 04:54 PM
Best: Warmth, long days, fruit and other good stuff growing and in season. Kind of love summer thunderstorms.

Worst: Humidity, wasps, mosquitoes, ticks, heatstroke.

Another worst with summer. The company I work for don't have shorts in the work clothes election, and we get chastised by company evaluates that does sample tests on stores if they have the right attire.
Yeah, I think that's pretty common with a lot of stores unfortunately. Last one I worked at was at least okay with carpis, not sure the current job is.

Hoping our AC doesn't do what it did last year when it died on us and the upstairs, where I primarily am, was 98 degrees. And I'm stuck in black pants.

Saturday of last weekend part of the AC already was giving us issues. Was fixed that day, but hoping this summer isn't a repeat. :ohwell:

I finally bought new pants a few months ago, but I'm back to wearing my old ones and hoping people just don't notice the small hole in the knee, since the new pants are too thick for this time of year and afraid of wearing those and finding the store hot...

TurtleWA
06-25-2017, 05:01 PM
Worst: ticks and mosquitoes.

Best: everything else.

Best: Warmth, long days, fruit and other good stuff growing and in season. Kind of love summer thunderstorms.

Yeah, I think that's pretty common with a lot of stores unfortunately. Last one I worked at was at least okay with carpis, not sure the current job is.

Hoping our AC doesn't do what it did last year when it died on us and the upstairs, where I primarily am, was 98 degrees. And I'm stuck in black pants.

Saturday of last weekend part of the AC already was giving us issues. Was fixed that day, but hoping this summer isn't a repast. :ohwell:

I finally bought new pants a few months ago, but I'm back to wearing my old ones and hoping people just don't notice the small hole in the knee, since the new pants are too thick for this time of year and afraid of wearing those and finding the store hot...

Oh yeah mosquitoes are horrible. I would much rather deal with a bee sting over a bite. I've been stung on the neck by a bee and the pain is bad. But for me mosquitoes are the worst, from the combining itch of the bite (that last seemingly for days) and the buzzing sound in the ear. Drives me insane. Another best is SDCC exclusives and Summer blockbusters.

IndigoErth
06-25-2017, 05:24 PM
To be fair, I don't seem to be mosquitoes fave target these days unless I'm their only option. And weirdly their bites stopped itching for the most part years ago. Only on rare occasion does one itch slightly... So I'd rather than than a bee sting for sure. But we've got those "aggressive" tiger mosquitos here, so they're a pain in the ass. Plus they carry around that zika virus. (And I guess bird flu is still a thing.)

TurtleWA
06-25-2017, 05:44 PM
Oh Zika and bird flu I forgot all about those. Lucky you for projecting a mosquito force field. I'm just glad not to be allergic to bees that is rather common from what I hear.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-25-2017, 06:09 PM

Easy for you to say. I work in a restaraunt wher we are not even allowed to wear shorts or tee shirts. And both the drive through and kitchen are always hot. And I work through the hottest part of the day. I change into cioler shorts and tees before going home but that doesn't help while I work.

But, I'm using shorts anyway for the most part, cause I can't function with thick work pants on, the work shirt is a nightmare on it's own. Luckily I'm the one who have to work in the walk-in fridge to stock up om milk and other cold storage foods, cause it's to cold for everyone else. But we're usually alone on evening shifts and it's not a re-stocking day

I feel you. Honestly going into our walk-in to get things we need to restock is the only relief I get most days. Our work uniforms are hot(they are all BLACK!!), and itchy when you sweat.

Saturday of last weekend part of the AC already was giving us issues. Was fixed that day, but hoping this summer isn't a repeat. :ohwell:

I'm with you on the storms. I LOVE a good summer thunderstorm. So exhilerating!

And snow cone stands. They pop up all over in summer and I love trying different flavors. We had one at the end of our street last summer that had a green flavor called "Ninja Turtle" which was some sort of lime and pineapple mix I think. I was doing half-n-half on it with grape, cherry, orange and blue raspberry all summer!

The Deadman
06-25-2017, 06:43 PM
Mosquitoes hands down.

ProactiveMan
06-26-2017, 03:04 AM
The best is that summer is awesome. The worst is that it's not summer - I'm freezing my arse off.

There are so many good things about summer. It's not cold, the days are longer, I don't have to walk home in the dark, BBQs, garden parties, and everyone's out and about in their cool summer clothes.

Some downsides are that it gets pretty hot, bush fires, the endless debates about daylight savings, flies, water restrictions, and skin cancer I guess.

ssjup81
06-26-2017, 07:02 AM
Heat and humidity. I loathe summer with an extreme passion and generally only go out if I have to, early in the morning, in the late evening, or at night. I spend it under the a/c. Give me fall or winter any day.

Only good thing about summer is its ending. :-P. As far as Japan goes though, the summer festivals are nice. Back home, I like fireworks.

TurtleWA
06-26-2017, 09:33 AM
The best is that summer is awesome. The worst is that it's not summer - I'm freezing my arse off.

There are so many good things about summer. It's not cold, the days are longer, I don't have to walk home in the dark, BBQs, garden parties, and everyone's out and about in their cool summer clothes.

Some downsides are that it gets pretty hot, bush fires, the endless debates about daylight savings, flies, water restrictions, and skin cancer I guess.
You could bump this thread in January and talk about how warm and beautiful the weather is in Australia. And us northern hemisphere folks will be envious. ;)
Heat and humidity. I loathe summer with an extreme passion and generally only go out if I have to, early in the morning, in the late evening, or at night. I spend it under the a/c. Give me fall or winter any day.

Only good thing about summer is its ending. :-P. As far as Japan goes though, the summer festivals are nice. Back home, I like fireworks.
Oh yes fireworks. That's pretty much a tradition around my area as well. People even set them off at random times of the year for no apparent reason. I guess that's what happens when you live in redneckville. :lol:

DestronMirage22
06-26-2017, 01:59 PM
Best:
*Cool rain on a hot day
*Rolling my windows all the way down and enjoying the breeze
*Sitting outside and enjoying the beautiful weather and all the green of the plants

Worst:
*Mowing the lawn

IndigoErth
06-26-2017, 02:39 PM
Best: Lightning bugs. (Esp seeing them make bit of a comeback around here the last couple of summers :) after becoming almost nonexistent for too many years. :ohwell: I hope the numbers are good again this year.)

Worst: When you work retail or elsewhere frequented by families and/or kids and now that school is out kids can be allowed to misbehave and drive you up the wall at any time during all open hours; rather than just evenings and weekends. Early weekday shifts are no longer a sanctuary of sanity until school is back.