PDA

View Full Version : Should IDW Meet Mirage?

Powder
06-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Simple & plain, would you want there to be a Mirage/IDW TMNT crossover?

If so:
-How would you like to see it done?
-Which creative talents would you want on board?
-Where/how could this fit into the Mirage timeline?

If not:
-Why?
-Would any certain circumstance change your mind?

My guess is IDW wouldn't wanna do this given the risk it might hurt their relationship with Peter (assuming he wouldn't wanna be involved in any capacity). However, Kevin's direct involvement may be all the incentive they need to think it could be done respectfully & awesomely. Dunno!

What say the drome?

I haven't figured out my stance on this yet, so I'll give my 2 cents later. :tlol:

Cryomancer
06-25-2017, 07:29 PM
If they used it as a way to continue Leonardo's Vol 4 Battle Nexus stuff I'd probably be down, I suppose.

CyberCubed
06-25-2017, 07:32 PM
Eventually sure, it'd not be much different than the 2k3 series doing Turtles Forever or the Nick cartoon doing their crossover...both featured the Mirage Turtles albeit "Prime" versions.

For this, I imagine Jim Lawson doing the art for the Mirage Turtles would be a no-brainer and having them interact with the IDW Turtles drawn by any of IDW's current artists.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-25-2017, 09:42 PM
Normally I despise all things crossover, but I see two plots working well and not just being "because we can" fanwank.

#1. A sequel to "Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything", wherein Renet needs both the Mirage Turtles and the IDW Turtles to stop Savanti Romero. That'd be dope.

#2. This one didn't occur to me until Cryomancer said something, but the Mirage Battle Nexus could handle the story needs very easily... and I've been dying to see the 4Kids "Battle Nexus" arc adapted into an IDW storyline. (And no, I don't count the 2014 Annual because it bored me to tears and didn't have any effect on the ongoing title.)

CyberCubed
06-25-2017, 09:49 PM
Also Jim Lawson has already worked for IDW, he wrote and did the art for that Shadow story in the 30th anniversary issue, and he also drew new covers for the Mirage/Tales trades that IDW puts out.

I know some would prefer Eastman do the art, but after two annuals I'm not too fond of Eastman's art outside of the covers he does for IDW. Jim Lawson's Turtles are also what people tend to associate Mirage with the most after Eastman/Laird too.

Candy Kappa
06-26-2017, 02:42 AM
The multiverse have been established, so it's bound to happen. And I think it would be interesting to see IDW Turtles that are younger and less experienced meeting older versions of themselves, although I doubt that's the direction the future crossover will deal with.

It would be interesting if the IDW Turtles never meet the Mirage Turtles but only hears stories about them through other characters that have met them, making them seen more weird and near myth-like.

Nortock Diab
06-26-2017, 03:27 AM
It would be interesting if the IDW Turtles never meet the Mirage Turtles but only hears stories about them through other characters that have met them, making them seen more weird and near myth-like.

I like this approach.
If the Mirage turtles are included in an IDW crossover, they probably will not be Mirage enough.
B&W turtles with red bandanas is anything but Mirage...

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
06-26-2017, 03:37 AM
Maybe also Archie?

mrmaczaps
06-26-2017, 05:02 AM
What if IDW picks up that loose thread of Leo in the Battle Nexus as others have said and we see some shots from issue 26 & 27 but from IDW Splinters POV to start. Then just do the comic/mini series in half color/half black and white. The Mirage stuff drawn by Lawson & inked by Lavigne. Get Duncan back for IDW. Or alternate issues of a mini. Issues one and two are "solo" Mirage & IDW, issues 3 & 4 start mixing them and then issues 5 & 6 are full on mergers.

Then a second series with the animated IDW Turtles meeting the Archie Turtles... six issue mini series... then a giant pair of double sized issues where all four teams meet and each character has a special team up... four Leos, four Raphs, four Dons and 4 Mikey eating pizzas...

Chris
06-26-2017, 07:17 AM
Going with "Not Sure" as I'm edging towards no but IF they did it then I believe they would do it well and want to honour the Mirage TMNT and I would certainly pick it up and I'm sure I'd enjoy it so I don't want to vote "No".

Personally though I'd rather they leave Mirage as it's own thing. It's not because I don't want Mirage in IDW but more I'd rather not have IDW (or any other incarnation) in Mirage*. I prefer Mirage to stand alone and be its own thing. The only things I'd like to see at this point really are the end of Volume 4 and the conclusion of a few open plot lines from Tales Volume 2 but I've made peace with the fact that this likely won't happen.

*Hypocritically I love Turtles Forever and think it's a brilliant end point for the entire Mirage Studios era. But it was done under Peter Laird and doesn't really affect the narrative of the Mirage universe, heck you have to assume time repaired itself afterwards and events happened as normal or else it would affect everything that came after so it happened but didn't happen I guess. I think if Peter were involved and worked on it with Kevin, Bobby and Tom then I would be much more open to the idea.

Andrew NDB
06-26-2017, 07:33 AM
I only vote "no" because I see nothing of value coming of the exchange beyond the Mirage TMNT giving the IDW TMNT "props" to elevate them, or Mirage TMNT "jobbing" to IDW in some way that only serves to validate the cowabungas and Krangs and Beebops and pizza that Nickelodeon wants to push on everyone (I do realize that Nick isn't pushing that hard on IDW... but then again, I guess they didn't really need to? they kinda did that all on their own). But it is entirely possible I could be swayed by a super compelling Grant Morrison-level storyline that works the Mirage TMNT into a thing that embraces their differences in a thing that doesn't end with high fives?

Panda_Kahn_fan
06-26-2017, 08:35 AM
I'm going to say no, because I really Don't see a point. This is the kind of thing where the story would be driven by the event, with no clear story to be told by bringing the groups together. The two teams are very, very different, but not different in a way that would make good character interaction. It would probably feel like the 4kids turtles meeting mirage did;

"What's with the different colored masks?"

"Sellouts!"

Unless you have an epic masterpiece of a tale in mind, there is no story to tell here that Isn't forced.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-26-2017, 08:38 AM
I'm going to say no, because I really Don't see a point. This is the kind of thing where the story would be driven by the event, with no clear story to be told by bringing the groups together. The two teams are very, very different, but not different in a way that would make good character interaction. It would probably feel like the 4kids turtles meeting mirage did;

"What's with the different colored masks?"

"Sellouts!"

Unless you have an epic masterpiece of a tale in mind, there is no story to tell here that Isn't forced.

I think a follow-up Savanti Romero story wouldn't be forced and wouldn't work nearly as well without a Mirage crossover...

Panda_Kahn_fan
06-26-2017, 08:45 AM
I think a follow-up Savanti Romero story wouldn't be forced and wouldn't work nearly as well without a Mirage crossover...

I guess so, if the writers want to go that route. I just don't see the point of the team up, (unlike the usagi crossover, which I can't wait for). But I guess a battle nexus or savants story miniseries or one-shot would work.

Though Bobby did indicate in the q &a thread that he really had no interest in those kind of 'character meets another version of character' crossovers. So such a story might be awhile in coming.

MikeandRaph87
06-26-2017, 09:26 AM
I think the Battle Nexus needs to be covered thanks to the tease we received. During the arc it could be referenced to others very much like them having been in the void before and leave it at that.

***First of Two Latin Kings***
06-26-2017, 09:57 AM
I'd be more interested in seeing IDW's interpretation of the Forever War.

CyberCubed
06-26-2017, 11:47 AM
I think this is pretty much inevitable to happen eventually. The reason it didn't happen so far is IDW was still early on and needed to establish itself as a successful series and it's own thing before crossovers happen. Now that IDW has been going on for years and will be closing in on issue #100 soon, it's pretty obvious they can do a crossover now that it's a proven quantity.

I imagine a crossover would happen in a 5-part mini outside the main ongoing. As I said, get Jim Lawson to draw the Mirage Turtles and have the IDW Turtles drawn by any of the current artists, so you'd see old meets new on the same panel with different artists.

Andrew NDB
06-27-2017, 10:57 AM
I'd be more interested in seeing IDW's interpretation of the Forever War.

What does that even mean? Nobody knows what "The Forever War" is about. Not even Steve Murphy anymore, apparently.

neatoman
06-27-2017, 11:21 AM
What does that even mean? Nobody knows what "The Forever War" is about. Not even Steve Murphy anymore, apparently.

Wait, wait, wait... What? That's weird, did he just pitch a title without ever thinking about the story? Was he just planning on writing it on the fly or did he just have a vague idea he forgot about?

Either way, why would anyone want to read it then? Yeah, continuation, I get that, but in this case it might as well be anything and not Forever War in particular.

Hey, ***First of Two Latin Kings***, is that what you meant? IDW publishing a continuation/conclusion? Because they can't remake a storyline that didn't see the light of day in the first place.

plastroncafe
06-27-2017, 11:23 AM
I'm always up for a field trip to Turtle Prime.

Andrew NDB
06-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Wait, wait, wait... What? That's weird, did he just pitch a title without ever thinking about the story? Was he just planning on writing it on the fly or did he just have a vague idea he forgot about?

He claims he has forgotten the whole story. Seriously.

CyberCubed
06-27-2017, 11:41 AM
He claims he has forgotten the whole story. Seriously.

Well considering it was originally supposed to come out in 1995, which is now over 22 years ago, along with Murphy reaching old age (isn't he over 60 now?), I wouldn't be surprised if he forgot everything about it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-27-2017, 11:46 AM
Well considering it was originally supposed to come out in 1995, which is now over 22 years ago, along with Murphy reaching old age (isn't he over 60 now?), I wouldn't be surprised if he forgot everything about it.

Feels weird to me. I can remember everything I've ever written or the ideas of things I was GOING to write, going back to middle school.

Weapons@theready
06-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Man at this point, there's no way that Forever War can live up to expectations. I think for the sake of having it I would like to see it eventually come to be, but I don't know how much I would enjoy it considering how ling I've been waiting for it

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-27-2017, 02:53 PM
I think, if anything, IDW should simply take the title and use it for a similar IDW-based story.

But then, the Archie diehards would probably be disappointed and a little bitter, which isn't at all unfair...

So which do we think is more likely to happen? TMNTA "The Forever War" or a conclusion to Mirage TMNT "Volume 4?"

Chris
06-28-2017, 12:43 AM
Definitely The Forever War.

I remember Bobby saying they wouldn't do a Vol 4 conclusion as it was Peter Laird's to finish and at this point that looks unlikely. I mean maybe his stance will change one day but I wouldn't count on it any time soon. The Forever War is likely to come up more as they're getting near to the end of the main TMNTA reprints.

myconius
06-28-2017, 06:18 AM
as much as i'd love to see Mirage Tmnt and IDW Tmnt meet, it's probably better to leave the idea alone.

it'd be extremely difficult to live up to everyone's expectations.

better not to risk mucking it up.

swing_kinker
07-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Not for me, I see the IDW run as something of an extension or reboot of the Mirage series in particular.

Powder
07-02-2017, 04:28 PM
That's not even remotely true, though.

CyberCubed
07-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Not for me, I see the IDW run as something of an extension or reboot of the Mirage series in particular.

IDW TMNT is no more a reboot of Mirage than any of the cartoons, Archie, the movies, etc.

pferreira
07-06-2017, 01:41 PM
I vote no. I just don't see the point. They're quite similar in style and storytelling. Not enough differences between them I feel.

Andrew NDB
07-06-2017, 01:43 PM
They're quite similar in style and storytelling.

No, pretty much worlds apart in that. Visually similar in style to some of the Tales of the TMNT V2, maybe.

neatoman
07-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Yeah, definitely not. You'd need a very shallow way of thinking to call them "quite similar".

pferreira
07-06-2017, 02:34 PM
No, pretty much worlds apart in that. Visually similar in style to some of the Tales of the TMNT V2, maybe.

Yeah, definitely not. You'd need a very shallow way of thinking to call them "quite similar".Tonally the same right? Art style the same right? Storytelling almost the same?

Quite similar then. :)

ToTheNines
07-06-2017, 02:43 PM
Tonally the same right? Art style the same right? Storytelling almost the same?

Quite similar then. :)

You're a known retard, but I'm honestly shocked that you're actually this befuddled.

Donnie
07-07-2017, 05:34 PM
No. IDW has already been influenced by the other non-Mirage TMNT to such an extent that an actual cross-over with Mirage TMNT would seem just plain wrong.

pferreira
07-13-2017, 08:35 AM
You're a known retard, but I'm honestly shocked that you're actually this befuddled.Ha! Says the guy who's handle can't allow him to count to 10! Sorry I'm just waiting for you to get banned again which we're all looking forward to. :lol:

eskater
08-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Personally I love crossovers but I would like there to be serious serious thought on the part of everyone involved. Crossovers for the sake of crossovers tend to be mediocre at best. But maybe the beginning or possibly an expansion of a TMNT multiverse?

ProphetofGanja
08-04-2017, 01:27 PM
I'd rather see the IDW Turtles eventually encounter a whole slew of elsewhere/What If?-style TMNT crews, that have never been seen before.

Give us a set of noir Turtles, steampunk Turtles, magic Turtles, pirate Turtles, whatever

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-04-2017, 01:39 PM
I'd rather see the IDW Turtles eventually encounter a whole slew of elsewhere/What If?-style TMNT crews, that have never been seen before.

Give us a set of noir Turtles, steampunk Turtles, magic Turtles, pirate Turtles, whatever

Noir and steampunk sound fun.

We've kinda already had pirate Turtles in Turtles in Time #3, though.

myconius
08-04-2017, 06:22 PM
Noir and steampunk sound fun.

We've kinda already had pirate Turtles in Turtles in Time #3, though.

that was more of Just the IDW Turtles on a Pirate adventure.

me thinks he'll be wantin' ta see the Turtles meet an actual crew of sea-bearing Teenage Mutant Pirate Turtles?

(hearties in a half-shell . . . . ARG Maytee)

Logan
08-09-2017, 02:29 PM
I'm giving a vote in the negative. These multiverse crossovers always end up pigeonholing the "other" turtles as extreme caricatures and making the turtles leading the story as well-rounded characters.

Andrew NDB
08-09-2017, 02:37 PM
After "Turtles Forever" and the Mirage stuff in the Nick cartoon, there would probably also be a dumb inclination to make the Mirage TMNT appear in literal black and white.

That really bothers me. I'm sure it's (probably) not intended with any malice or as a slight and maybe it's even the people behind it thinking it accentuates their "bad-ass"-ness, but it kind of seems to suggest, "The Mirage TMNT are only in black and white... they are not as EVOLVED as the {insert children's cartoon verse Turtles}. They don't even have color!"

Which again, is dumb. There's been tons of color Mirage TMNT stuff since the very beginning.

myconius
08-09-2017, 02:49 PM
After "Turtles Forever" and the Mirage stuff in the Nick cartoon, there would probably also be a dumb inclination to make the Mirage TMNT appear in literal black and white.

That really bothers me. I'm sure it's (probably) not intended with any malice or as a slight and maybe it's even the people behind it thinking it accentuates their "bad-ass"-ness, but it kind of seems to suggest, "The Mirage TMNT are only in black and white... they are not as EVOLVED as the {insert children's cartoon verse Turtles}. They don't even have color!"

Which again, is dumb. There's been tons of color Mirage TMNT stuff since the very beginning.

the Covers of the Mirage comics were all printed in color. even though the four (five if you count Raphael #1) issues were monochrome.
after that the cover were all printed in full color.
and when issues 1-4 (and Raph) were all reprinted, eventually they too had gotten full color covers.

that to me is representative of what their world looks like. i mean how else do we know that the Ninja Turtles are all wearing red masks?

it's silly for people to just assume they're living in a universe of only B&W.
did people make that same assumption about The Walking Dead comics?

Andrew NDB
08-09-2017, 02:58 PM
that to me is representative of what their world looks like. i mean how else do we know that the Ninja Turtles are all wearing red masks?

Let's not forget the ENTIRE second volume of Mirage is in full-color.

it's silly for people to just assume they're living in a universe of only B&W.
did people make that same assumption about The Walking Dead comics?

Or Usagi Yojimbo? Or anything, really?

I'm also pretty sure I remember the Mirage Turtles wearing 3D glasses in a theater once. How would that possibly work in a B&W universe?

myconius
08-09-2017, 03:15 PM
Let's not forget the ENTIRE second volume of Mirage is in full-color.

Or Usagi Yojimbo? Or anything, really?

I'm also pretty sure I remember the Mirage Turtles wearing 3D glasses in a theater once. How would that possibly work in a B&W universe?

more very good points, especially about Mirage Vol. 2.
i don't have my copy of 'Anything Goes' nearby, but i'm pretty sure there was a story in there printed in color as well?

the problem is that most people only look, but they do not see.