PDA

View Full Version : Where do TMNT get money?

TurtleWA
06-30-2017, 08:49 PM
Is everything donated by friends or scavenged. I think I remember cash being in play so how is it earned? Stolen like Robin Hood maybe?

oldmanwinters
06-30-2017, 09:07 PM
Some possible answers:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=31279

TurtleWA
06-30-2017, 09:15 PM
Oh oops, thanks though. Glad to see no broken images in the old thread. :lol:

neatoman
07-01-2017, 04:16 AM
Theft
Counterfeit money
Fake charity
Selling stuff online
Whatever the hell Carl in ATHF does

As for what's actually been shown, they mooch off April and Casey and/or Don works a telephone job.

Andrew NDB
07-01-2017, 04:16 AM
They don't need money.

Splinter the boss
07-01-2017, 04:44 AM
As for what's actually been shown, they mooch off April and Casey and/or Don works a telephone job.

Does Donnie even do the telephone job anymore? That's like from season 1 or 2 if I'm not mistaken, I paused watching after season 4 ep 19.

neatoman
07-01-2017, 05:24 AM
Does Donnie even do the telephone job anymore? That's like from season 1 or 2 if I'm not mistaken, I paused watching after season 4 ep 19.

... Which show are you talking about? Regardless of which, I think you're confused, I was refering to the 2007 movie and I can't remember any of the shows depicting him working on the phone.

myconius
07-01-2017, 07:59 AM
they make bunches of money from their successful line of comic books, toys and cartoon shows.

9CdVTCDdEwI

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
07-01-2017, 10:03 AM
*Money they find by accident fallen into the sewers.
*April, Irma (once they've met them)
*Recycling
*Splinter's earned money from Japan (in versions Splinter os originally Hamato Yoshi)

The Deadman
07-01-2017, 10:38 AM
By gambling.

FearlessLeader
07-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Some possible answers:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=31279

So I read through all of this and I think the fixing up thrown out junk and reselling it is a viable option. In more modern versions they could even use Craigslist and April and Casey to facilitate the transactions??

CyberCubed
07-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Even in Mirage the Turtles are showing eating human food like hamburgers, chinese, pizza, sandwiches. Given both April and Casey are portrayed as poor as hell in Mirage with no money, I do wonder where they get the extra cash to support 4 teenage Turtles with huge appetites from.

Xav
07-01-2017, 12:20 PM
86R0kgASv1A

IndigoErth
07-01-2017, 01:25 PM
At least in terms of the little bit of money they actually need for the pizza and other takeout and food for the fridge... I just always imagined they were good at spotting loose change and lost dollars when they're out roaming around after dark. :) It's NYC, surely a fair amount gets lost.

As for non-food items... refurbish and re-purpose whatever they find. These days maybe they might be eBay sellers of some of the stuff they might find.

Beyond that, the kindness of friends.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-01-2017, 01:39 PM
I imagine alot of their food comes from dumpster waste and food thrown down the sewers. (although in versions such as the OT, they are shown to buy pizza and have money, but before that they most likely accquired the taste of the stuff after picking up pizzas thrown away by Viny's pizza for not having the correct ingredients or something)

As to where they get their money from, I don't think many versions of them used money at all or needed it since many items in the lair could've just been acquired from the local dump and food is pretty readily available in the city, even for the peniless. When they did need money in the OT and were out, they did work jobs rather than ask April.

IndigoErth
07-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Even in the 2003 series, off the top of my head (since I recently re-watched it), in the "Prodigal Son" ep even 2003 Leo bring back food as Mikey requested, tossing his brothers cartons of Chinese takeout. Not only did the guy apparently have the money for it, but was able to actually go to a place and get it. (edit: They'd also requested he bring back sodas. Weren't seen, but maybe a vending machine in that case would work for them. Still requires money though.)

Maybe it's a place that's used to them, or maybe he just wore his coat and hat from his trip to and back from Japan to disguise himself a little, though he wasn't carrying that with him so... cartoon magic.

Splinter the boss
07-01-2017, 02:21 PM
... Which show are you talking about? Regardless of which, I think you're confused, I was refering to the 2007 movie and I can't remember any of the shows depicting him working on the phone.
It's from the movie, my bad. I thought it was from the 2012 show.

pferreira
07-06-2017, 03:05 PM
They don't need money.So they steal everything they need? Like criminals? :o

Tarris Vaal
07-06-2017, 05:44 PM
I was trying to figure this one out as its a really good question.
I don't think Splinter could realistically be using saved money - mostly because depending on the iteration he's either a rat originally or is in exile (and using his own money would leave a traceable trail).

So I would suspect that in the 'early years' that Splinter scavenged as much as he could - but even then I think it would have been very hard and some amount of stealing would be highly likely. Especially given the need for workable weapons for training and later 'field' usage.

That paints a pretty hard life for Splinter and the young turtles, and suggests Splinter had to make repeated trips to the surface to steal what couldn't be scavenged.
The alternative - which I quite like personally - would be that Splinter had 'topside' assistance from someone; either financially, logistically or both. Its unlikely Splinter would have trusted several people given the situation, so it would be more likely only 1 or 2 'key' people that he would have come to for aid.

Later on - I think its likely the turtles had some kind of work. I can't imagine April's salary stretching so far as supporting a family of 5, and Casey's certainly wouldnt.

So either the turtles are stealing money (highly unlikely), salvaging it from the Foot (possible, but incidents like Mikey's reaction to Mondo Gecko doing the same in 2012 Series suggest otherwise), or earning it.

For my own thoughts, I was thinking that IDW implies Woody is at least providing some free pizza (though not huge quantities)

Thinking about it, the turtles have a significant knowledge of the layout of the sewer and underground systems beneath NYC; they move quickly, keep out of sight and can avoid NYC traffic easily; And of course they have a huge love of pizza.

Whats to say that somewhere like Woody's pizzeria hasn't hired them to make deliveries themselves? At least then they can earn their keep, and be stocked with as much as they want as part payment.

Obviously this isn't the case, but it seems strangely appropriate for them as regular work.

Andrew NDB
07-06-2017, 05:49 PM
So they steal everything they need? Like criminals? :o

Probably. Or garbage. Ninjas aren't supposed to be altruistic.

Candy Kappa
07-06-2017, 05:57 PM
I'd imagine whenever they encounter criminals and stop them, they'll also loot their dead/unconscious bodies.

Andrew NDB
07-06-2017, 05:59 PM
I'd imagine whenever they encounter criminals and stop them, they'll also loot their dead/unconscious bodies.

Maybe. Not that they should be actively patrolling streets to fight humanity's crime for it.

Candy Kappa
07-06-2017, 06:02 PM
Target practice, and keeping their side of the city clean for nuisances.

dawwe
07-06-2017, 07:35 PM
I would assume that some money makes it way down the sewers and the turtles or Splinter collect it. Or April gives them a nice little allowance.

triplexxx
07-07-2017, 12:00 AM
Through the "Fourth Wall", aside from recycling/scavenging/pawning, more minor sources.

07-07-2017, 03:20 AM
Or April gives them a nice little allowance.

But not before they met her.

TurtleWA
07-07-2017, 10:23 AM
If they could figure out how to get past the interview and be hired, I think late night janitorial services could be an option.

IndigoErth
07-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Through the "Fourth Wall"
Well in that case, they're famous, so they're rich and don't know it. Money just keeps appearing now and then. :tlol:

inaheap
07-07-2017, 01:16 PM
I would think in the 80's - 90's time frame scavenging and pawn shops. Maybe online message boards. Now a days I would think those things and Ebay. Even though there is five of them they wouldn't need that much. Their home is free. Their utilities are free. The only things they would need to spend money on are food and weapons. Perhaps since they are masters of their weapons maybe they can make them as well.

07-07-2017, 04:12 PM
I would assume that some money makes it way down the sewers and the turtles or Splinter collect it.

Of course, it's New York City.

Andrew NDB
07-07-2017, 04:23 PM
they're rich and don't know it. Money just keeps appearing now and then. :tlol:

I remember a fanfic ages ago where the Mirage Turtles are the real Turtles in reality, and they were getting residual checks from all of the movies and cartoons and toys based on them. A silly idea, but funny, and approached relatively seriously. I forget who wrote it... Dawn? Horseturtle? One of those.

07-07-2017, 04:27 PM
I remember a fanfic ages ago where the Mirage Turtles are the real Turtles in reality, and they were getting residual checks from all of the movies and cartoons and toys based on them. A silly idea, but funny, and approached relatively seriously. I forget who wrote it... Dawn? Horseturtle? One of those.

Or maybe Michaelangelo creating comic books? :)

IndigoErth
07-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Heh, I kinda like that. (So where they known to society, or just keeping hidden and allowing people to believe they're fictional? lol)

pferreira
07-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Maybe they do night work?

TigerClaw
07-13-2017, 09:52 AM
As for how the Turtles were getting money, I remember the 2007 movie showing Mikey dressing up for a kids birthday party, and Donnie doing tech support on the phone.

Andrew NDB
07-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Maybe they do night work?

Maybe they don't.

pferreira
07-13-2017, 02:03 PM
As for how the Turtles were getting money, I remember the 2007 movie showing Mikey dressing up for a kids birthday party, and Donnie doing tech support on the phone.Yep that works. Not sure everyone would agree but that's valid at least for the 2007 movie.

TigerClaw
07-13-2017, 02:18 PM
Yep that works. Not sure everyone would agree but that's valid at least for the 2007 movie.
Yep, here's clips of it.

Donnie working as an IT Tech Support

E75bEVNBxB0

Mikey, a Ninja Turtle dressed up as a Ninja Turtle for a Kids Birthday Party.

oyjpmeSEm2Y

pferreira
07-20-2017, 09:33 AM
Not sure if I'm right but I remember one of the early levels of the 2007 game is Mikey making his way back to the sewer after doing a kids birthday.

Andrew NDB
07-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Yep, here's clips of it.

Donnie working as an IT Tech Support

E75bEVNBxB0

Mikey, a Ninja Turtle dressed up as a Ninja Turtle for a Kids Birthday Party.

oyjpmeSEm2Y

http://cdndata.bigfooty.com/2015/09/169796_a092e9110e084e0e8ac1123f22454c45.jpg

CyberCubed
07-20-2017, 11:11 AM
It is weird the Turtles have food in their refigerator and drinks and stuff. That's fresh food look like it was bought in the supermarket, not found in the garbage or storm drains or whatever.

April and Casey are always portrayed as poor as hell in every universe, so they sure don't have the extra money to feed 4 more teenage boys. I don't know where they get the food from.

IndigoErth
07-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Maybe some of it is stuff that's just past expiration date (but still edible) that local stores tossed out. For fresher stuff... even if their friends are not well off, well, coupons exist and they might, as I said before, no doubt be pros at spotting loose change and dropped dollars to be able to contribute to their friends willing to pick up a few things for them. (Plus being able to afford delivery/take out, the pizza or otherwise.)

In terms of moral gray area, since it's technically shop lifting (and I'd like to think they'd at least feel a little guilty for having no other choice), they might also know what days local stores tend to get their stock deliveries. Then swipe a case or two from the truck when the employees' backs are turned.

TurtleWA
07-20-2017, 05:07 PM
It is weird the Turtles have food in their refigerator and drinks and stuff. That's fresh food look like it was bought in the supermarket, not found in the garbage or storm drains or whatever.

April and Casey are always portrayed as poor as hell in every universe, so they sure don't have the extra money to feed 4 more teenage boys. I don't know where they get the food from.

Maybe some of it is stuff that's just past expiration date (but still edible) that local stores tossed out. For fresher stuff... even if their friends are not well off, well, coupons exist and they might, as I said before, no doubt be pros at spotting loose change and dropped dollars to be able to contribute to their friends willing to pick up a few things for them. (Plus being able to afford delivery/take out, the pizza or otherwise.)

In terms of moral gray area, since it's technically shop lifting (and I'd like to think they'd at least feel a little guilty for having no other choice), they might also know what days local stores tend to get their stock deliveries. Then swipe a case or two from the truck when the employees' backs are turned.

Look at that pizza. :trazz:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/hungry-freegans-ignore-dumpster-diving-health-warnings/news-story/d525b15d0241f0b69f316768ddf5f3d4

Link doesn't want to work without paper subscription but anyway photo attached. It was about freegans.

nom nom nom

Ninjinister
07-20-2017, 10:21 PM
In the early Mirage days I would say it might be tough but after the first cartoon I'm sure they made bank off dat merch.

victory_angel
07-20-2017, 11:39 PM

Or swipe from the local food pantries. They would take enough to throw off the inventory somewhat, but not so much that it couldn't be replaced.

In the Fred Wolf series it's any sort of guess as to how the turtles are able to pay for stuff.

2k3 I would wager they do get some monitory compensation for doing some manual assistance for April and some of their other allies. since we do see the turtles snag some hot dogs during the episode when Usagi arrives in New York and then a few dollars drop from the sky.

And in the first Justice Force episode we see Don ask Casey to help him get that flying toy from that comic book store.

2k12 maybe they scrimpt a lot of the occasional money that falls down the sewers. Murakami seems to give them Pizza Gyoza on the house since he says he wasn't popular before he invented that dish for them

07-21-2017, 06:30 AM

April and Irma in the 1987-1996 series weren't so poor (even if they weren't superrich either). The problem is more before they met them.

As when it comes to the refigerator in the sewers, Donatello can fix most things.

eskater
08-04-2017, 12:43 PM
Yep that works. Not sure everyone would agree but that's valid at least for the 2007 movie.

I remember being a little bit satisfied with this when the 2007 movie came out but it still sort of still begs to ask where they got money before that? Doesn't seem they had been doing it before they stopped fighting crime.
Also when they're younger how did Splinter get cash? I can't imagine the turtles as kids being able to support themselves on their own.

snake
08-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Stealing seems the most likely. I really wanna know where Donnie gets all his sh*t from.

Powder
08-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Stealing seems the most likely. I really wanna know where Donnie gets all his sh*t from.

In Mirage/4kids he's a junkyard picker, which only goes so far, but it's something. Figure April fills in the blanks with cheap tech.