PDA

View Full Version : People saying "my partner"

Andrew NDB
07-03-2017, 02:51 PM
Is it just me, or in the past 5 years has "my girlfriend" or "my boyfriend" or "my husband" or "my wife" largely been replaced by "my partner"? I feel like it still popped up before that, but it's pretty much the default go-to now.

Kind of confusing. Like if a dude says, "My partner and I were looking at vacation spots" I'm mentally going, "Oh, you're a homosexual. I had no idea." When that's not necessarily the case at all.

Is anyone else getting this as well? And is this borne of some kind of sensitivity to LGBTQ relationships? If not, then what?

Utrommaniac
07-03-2017, 02:55 PM
It's all up to people's personal tastes.

I personally would interpret boyfriend/girlfriend as an "unwed lover that I'm not living with", and partner as "unwed lover that I AM living with".

Other people might find boyfriend/girlfriend juvenile past a certain age, or find "partner" to be connotative of a more serious relationship.

CyberCubed
07-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Wow, I was just thinking about this the other day too and I was going to make a thread about it. Amazing how we thought the same thing.

But yeah, this is weird to me. I often thought "my partner" meant same sex relationship. It also seems to have replaced, "my significant other" in the same fashion. Or even "my spouse." I've noticed this online a lot especially lately.

Also why do adults feel saying "my boyfriend/girlfriend" is kid-like? I know being a 20-30 something year old and saying, "I've got a girlfriend" makes you sound like a teenager, but...what else can you call it? I have "a woman friend?" "A man friend?"

Prowler
07-03-2017, 02:59 PM
Sounds like an English language problem since no one here would say that... well gay men apparently like to say "o meu companheiro" meaning "my companion" when referring to their bfs. But not sure if that's nothing but a myth.

The most cringeworthy thing is teenagers(usually from the hood) referring to their gfs as "my dame".

MsMarvelDuckie
07-03-2017, 03:03 PM
What's wrong with just saying "my girl/gal" or "my man/guy"? Same thing but a little more classy. Though I expect the usual suspects to pop in about how it sounds too possessive or whatever.

Prowler
07-03-2017, 03:05 PM
What's wrong with just saying "my girl/gal" or "my man/guy"? Same thing but a little more classy. Though I expect the usual suspects to pop in about how it sounds too possessive or whatever.
Nothing wrong with that. It's not just men who say that. I've heard women referring to their husbands as "my man". People who get pissed at that must be very literal minded or something and they might as well get pissed at their boss referring to them as "my employee".

Splinter the boss
07-03-2017, 03:07 PM
It depends. When teenagers speak, they usually say "boyfriend/girlfriend". When it's grown-ups they say "my partner".

MsMarvelDuckie
07-03-2017, 03:08 PM
@ Prowler- Suddenly I feel like the main guy in "Roots", LOL!!! Yeah that was kind of what I was thinking too.

Andrew NDB
07-03-2017, 03:10 PM
It depends. When teenagers speak, they usually say "boyfriend/girlfriend". When it's grown-ups they say "my partner".

But it's even coming up with "my husband" and "my wife." All of sudden even that is, "Oh, my partner and I were making dinner together" instead of "Oh, my wife and I..."

The most cringeworthy thing is teenagers(usually from the hood) referring to their gfs as "my dame".

What hood is that? Mostly they refer to them as "my b****" there. Females refer to their boyfriend as "my n****."

Splinter the boss
07-03-2017, 03:20 PM
But it's even coming up with "my husband" and "my wife." All of sudden even that is, "Oh, my partner and I were making dinner together" instead of "Oh, my wife and I..."

Really I'm not sure I've heard it being used in that context, then again I don't hang around adults much, I wouldn't know.

Prowler
07-03-2017, 03:22 PM

What hood is that? Mostly they refer to them as "my b****" there. Females refer to their boyfriend as "my n****."
I think it's an exclusive part of my country's rap culture or something. N**** isn't really used here and it's not like most people know that it's originally a very racist word anyways.

MsMarvelDuckie
07-03-2017, 03:24 PM
Dame is one of those words that was popular back in the days of guys like Capone. I suppose the newer gangs might think it just sounds cool because of that.

Candy Kappa
07-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Not married or engaged, but we live together and have a mortage, so partner works fine in translation. The Norwegian term is pronounced the same as a English ethnic slur, so it's not a word that can be used instead like other Scandinavian words that's been adopted by the English language. :lol:

Prowler
07-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Dame is one of those words that was popular back in the days of guys like Capone. I suppose the newer gangs might think it just sounds cool because of that.
Well I think rappers here use that word for girls/women so juvenile delinquents and pseudo ghetto folk adopt that slang as well.

AT-Man
07-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Abolish everything else and call them "bae".

CyberCubed
07-03-2017, 04:17 PM
Do people still use the term, "babe" nowadays? I know that was big back in the 90's.

Splinter the boss
07-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Of course they do, as a matter of fact I heard it yesterday.

MsMarvelDuckie
07-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Heck my husband and I call each other babe all the time.

Prowler
07-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Abolish everything else and call them "bae".
That's a Danish word for "poop".

IndigoErth
07-03-2017, 05:27 PM
I'll admit it may sometimes make me then wonder the gender of said partner, but the use of it doesn't really bother me at all. Why should it... Gay or straight, their relationship has zero impact on me.

If anything, I tend to hear it as maybe somewhat of a "common law marriage" type situation... not 'official,' but girl/boyfriend might not express it enough?

"Babe" is definitely still used plenty...

CyberCubed
07-03-2017, 07:40 PM

Yeah, "dame" is from the 1930's. They would say, "What a dame!" Or "Typical broad, fiddling around with things she doesn't quite understand."

I watch a lot of gangster films set in the 1920's-1940's, they would always say things like that. Also stuff like, "Dollface" or "Sweet cheeks."

Nobody talks like that anymore. "I'm gonna fill you mugs full of hot lead."

Prowler
07-03-2017, 07:43 PM
yeah, "dame" is from the 1930's. They would say, "what a dame!" or "typical broad, fiddling around with things she doesn't quite understand."

i watch a lot of gangster films set in the 1920's-1940's, they would always say things like that. Also stuff like, "dollface" or "sweet cheeks."

nobody talks like that anymore. "i'm gonna fill you mugs full of hot lead."
"Eat hot lead, turkeys!"

DarkFell
07-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Yeah, "dame" is from the 1930's. They would say, "What a dame!" Or "Typical broad, fiddling around with things she doesn't quite understand."

I watch a lot of gangster films set in the 1920's-1940's, they would always say things like that. Also stuff like, "Dollface" or "Sweet cheeks."

Nobody talks like that anymore. "I'm gonna fill you mugs full of hot lead."

"Eat hot lead, turkeys!"
-nHNHIDduH4

MsMarvelDuckie
07-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Darkfell you win the thread!

Bry
07-03-2017, 10:39 PM
I don't get why "my partner" is specifically a non-hetero thing, beyond some idea of traditional usage. And even then, I get the impression it was often used to "soften the blow" in casual conversation. A gay or lesbian couple can easily use "my boyfriend" or "my girlfriend", "my husband" or "my wife"... But "my partner" is vague, and sadly enough there are a lot of people who might get uncomfortable about the formers and less so about the latter.

"My partner" is a term that suggests a serious, long-term committed relationship, regardless of marital status or sexuality. I personally call my wife "my wife", but y'know what? She is my partner. That's what a serious relationship is -- we're in it together. A fully-inclusive term for that level of commitment makes sense.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-03-2017, 10:56 PM
I think the term has risen in usage because traditional marriage is no longer the norm and now both LGBT and extra marital relationships are acccepted in society

CyberCubed
07-03-2017, 11:11 PM
But even then people used to say, "my significant other" or "my mate" or just generally say boyfriend/girlfriend, etc.

Going back to this topic, whenever someone does say "my partner" I generally assume it's a same sex relationship. I mean if you're a guy with a girlfriend, just call her your girlfriend. If not I'm going to just assume you're gay even if you may not be.

DarkFell
07-03-2017, 11:21 PM
Thanks Duckie. Silliness aside, Bry did state it the best.
"My partner" is a term that suggests a serious, long-term committed relationship, regardless of marital status or sexuality. I personally call my wife "my wife", but y'know what? She is my partner. That's what a serious relationship is -- we're in it together.
This works and I agree with this statement.

DestronMirage22
07-04-2017, 02:01 AM
I've always thought that "my better half" would be the most appropriate moniker to call my girlfriend/wife.
Because without her I'd be incomplete. And she'd undoubtedly be a better person than I.

snake
07-04-2017, 03:31 AM
It's stupid. I also hate when people type SO referring to significant other.

Like holy sh*t reddit.

CyberCubed
07-04-2017, 04:20 AM
Also what happened to people just saying, "My girl," or "my boy."

Like people would say, "I'm going out to dinner with my girl, Alexa" or something like that.

Splinter the boss
07-04-2017, 06:53 AM
The thing is these things are used as slang. For example, if two girls are really close friends, one is probably gonna refer to the other as follows: " "I'mma go out with my girl Denisha tonight". Sometimes you will hear a boy call a girl his girl, I admit. But in the other case, not so much, I've never heard a girl call a boy her boy because It usually shows one's possessive nature which is usually males.

CyberCubed
07-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Well females call their female friends, "girlfriends" even if they're straight and not involved with them romantically. Like you always hear girls say, "I'm heading out with my girlfriends tonight" even if they all have boyfriends or are looking for guys.

Then again they probably all experiment with lesbian stuff on the side anyway. Nowadays it's far more common for girls to kiss their female friends than ever before.

shuriken
07-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Also what happened to people just saying, "My girl," or "my boy."

Like people would say, "I'm going out to dinner with my girl, Alexa" or something like that.

I say my lady, or girlfriend or my unicorn. but everyone has various pet names for any sort of significant other.

Splinter the boss
07-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Then again they probably all experiment with lesbian stuff on the side anyway. Nowadays it's far more common for girls to kiss their female friends than ever before.
Dude! What are you thinking?

CyberCubed
07-04-2017, 01:44 PM
Dude! What are you thinking?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11192904/Keira-Knightly-is-right-say-teenage-girls-Kissing-our-female-friends-is-just-a-rite-of-passage.html

Candy Kappa
07-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Yes, "experimenting" and "just gal pals".:roll:

Splinter the boss
07-04-2017, 01:51 PM
You win. You win.

shuriken
07-04-2017, 01:56 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11192904/Keira-Knightly-is-right-say-teenage-girls-Kissing-our-female-friends-is-just-a-rite-of-passage.html

:lol: you dont have any female friends do you?

Prowler
07-04-2017, 02:41 PM
:lol: you dont have any female friends do you?
If you were a woman would you want to be friends with CyberCubed?