PDA

View Full Version : "IDW's TMNT - The Definitive Ninja Turtles" Youtube Review

2K3
07-04-2017, 08:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wplOoDgW-lk

This link shows one of the best review/retrospective of the IDW run, in my opinion.

neatoman
07-04-2017, 09:23 AM
Already seen it. It's debatable but I certainly don't disagree with the points made, it is absolutely the best written version to date.

OA
07-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Thanks for sharing!

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Yep, I agree with all of his points. It takes the best from all versions, while coming up with ideas to be it's own thing. That take might not be for some fan, but given the success of IDW and it's upcoming status as the longest-running TMNT comic, I think it's proven it's success.

The big difference in narrative structure of Mirage and IDW come down to one factor; ongoing serialized storytelling in IDW vs. unconnected slice of stories in Mirage. and it depends on which format you prefer affects how you'll feel about TMNT's two currently most loved comic incarnations.

CyberCubed
07-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Well IDW TMNT is bound to last at least 10 years, I wonder when it will end though. Around 2021 will be the 10 year mark since it started in 2011. Will it last much further than that? Who knows.

pferreira
07-06-2017, 01:50 PM
Yep, I agree with all of his points. It takes the best from all versions, while coming up with ideas to be it's own thing. That take might not be for some fan, but given the success of IDW and it's upcoming status as the longest-running TMNT comic, I think it's proven it's success.I find the ideas behind the comic pretty crazy. I think that the best written comic is definitely the Mirage. IDW has it's fans who'll say it's the best but no way by design can it be THAT good.

My opinion but a mishmash of stuff from previous comics doesn't exactly sound appealing. Sounds like a lack of creativity. Again just my opinion from what I've seen so far.

DevilSpooky
07-06-2017, 06:16 PM
I find the ideas behind the comic pretty crazy. I think that the best written comic is definitely the Mirage. IDW has it's fans who'll say it's the best but no way by design can it be THAT good.

My opinion but a mishmash of stuff from previous comics doesn't exactly sound appealing. Sounds like a lack of creativity. Again just my opinion from what I've seen so far.

My advice is to try and see more, they use ideas and characters from before sure, but they make them work so well it feels nice and fresh, I hated Bebop and Rocksteady for example, but they made them 2 of the best characters of their universe, they're still idiots, but now they're also dangerous.

And the continuity is something to admire, they drop little things at times that you'll think they are nothing more then easter eggs or fun facts, but later become so big and important for the overall story it just blows your mind.

And like with B&R, old characters are a lot more fleshed out and while similar they are so much different then past incarnations, some suffer such intense twists that you'd never expected from them it just drops your jaw.

Try and read them, even if you have to do it in a not so legal way, trust me, after you do it you'd want to buy the comics and own them all, I know I did...