PDA

View Full Version : 'A Ghost Story' Director Would Make a Ninja Turtles Movie

IndigoErth
07-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Anyone familiar with this guy or his work? While would certainly isn't a will, it's still nice to see people interested and this soon.

http://screenrant.com/ghost-story-david-lowery-ninja-turtles/

The director of A Ghost Story might not be the first filmmaker you would suspect of being a fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. But David Lowery is most assuredly so according to a recent interview, and would be totally up for doing a Turtle movie. Not only that, but he’s got aspirations to do a surprise blockbuster movie that would fly under the radar and make a splash at the cinema, in a similar style to Cloverfield.

A Ghost Story is just hitting cinema screens in the US, and it’s as unlikely a summer film as you’re ever likely to see. Despite the title, the film is neither a scare-fest or a comedy spoof, even with Casey Affleck wandering around with a sheet over his head. Instead the plot (which was also written by Lowery) sees a man return to his home after a fatal accident, taking the form of a Scooby-Doo-type ghost, and trying to connect with his emotionally devastated wife. It’s a quirky Indie production with serious themes exploring love, loss, and the enormity of existence. The film premiered at Sundance this year and currently has a rating of 84% on Rotten Tomatoes with a lot of positive feedback. Lowery is able to shift between Indie films (Ain’t Them Bodies Saints) and more mainstream fare, as proven when he recently made the live-action Pete’s Dragon for Disney. Even so, his love for the Turtles remains a little surprising and admirably honest.

Whilst speaking to Uproxx, Lowery indicated the difficulties in getting A Ghost Story made and convincing the leads Affleck and Rooney Mara of his vision with the story. He also asks that people don’t make memes of Mara’s 5-minute pie-eating sequence. However, when talk turns to the Turtles, he says:

“I would do a Ninja Turtles movie … I thought Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze was the best movie ever when that came out. I went back and watched that and I was like, oh man, I feel so bad for my parents for having to sit through this three times with me. I bought the soundtrack on cassette …”.

When asked about the most recent Turtles movies, he adds “I wasn’t the biggest fan of the first one, but had high praise for the sequel, The second one actually felt like a literal recreation of the cartoon. It was so true to the cartoon. Even with Krang flying away at the end, saying, “I’ll be back” – like shaking his tentacle at them. It was so goofy, but I liked it”

With many auteurs and Indie filmmakers spurning mainstream cinema, it’s actually refreshing to hear those candid and unashamed quotes from a respected director. Away from the green characters though, Lowery wants to continue to surprise the audiences with his work. His ultimate aim is produce a film that misses festivals and publicity drives, and yet still gets positive word of mouth and box-office when it arrives on cinema screens. “The Cloverfield movies I guess are the closest where that’s happened“, he says. Hopefully the response to A Ghost Story will increase his reputation, as will his next projects, the comedy drama Old Man and the Gun, and another live-action Disney remake of Peter Pan. In the meantime, we’re tempted to keep an eye out for Lowery’s reboot of the Turtles, as unlikely as that is.

Andrew NDB
07-07-2017, 12:09 PM
When asked about the most recent Turtles movies, he adds “I wasn’t the biggest fan of the first one, but had high praise for the sequel, The second one actually felt like a literal recreation of the cartoon. It was so true to the cartoon. Even with Krang flying away at the end, saying, “I’ll be back” – like shaking his tentacle at them. It was so goofy, but I liked it”

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/3c/3cbef5ee354e1f2189a23b6ac03319946a4a7c7617388f9584 aa5b5984f98b11.jpg

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-07-2017, 12:11 PM
I saw the article earlier this week, but have no idea who the guy is or what he's done.

If the man only refers to the movies (old or new) WITHOUT referring to the comics (Mirage, IDW, or even Archie), I'm not interested. Enough with the toy/cartoon pandering.

IndigoErth
07-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Good and fair point... (Now if someone could help educate him first... Maybe we can send in Andrew. :trazz:)

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/3c/3cbef5ee354e1f2189a23b6ac03319946a4a7c7617388f9584 aa5b5984f98b11.jpg
Can't say that response wasn't expected. lol

neatoman
07-07-2017, 12:16 PM

Gotta agree with Andrew here, I don't want anyone praising the second PD movie (let alone either one of them) anywhere near an official TMNT project.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-07-2017, 12:22 PM
TMNT needs a talented and proven filmmaker to take an interest... somebody like James Gunn, or the Super Russo Bros, or Peter Jackson, or Edgar Wright.

I'd say Guillermo del Toro, but the man takes on too many ideas and never does anything with most of them, so he's out. :tlol:

Andrew NDB
07-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Forget about, "Should this person make a new TMNT movie?" -- anyone in the industry caught saying or even suggesting "I really dug the second PD TMNT movie" pretty much just needs to be blacklisted from ever working on any motion picture, ever, in any capacity.

And possibly drug into the street and shot. Possibly both.

Ninjinister
07-07-2017, 12:57 PM
I would make a Ninja Turtles movie, too. And my cinematic oeuvre is just as well known as this guy's.

DestronMirage22
07-07-2017, 01:52 PM
He probably won't ever get the chance, considering he isn't well known.
And I'm thankful for that. He clearly only knows FW/movies and we don't need any more of their influence in any films. And if he actually praises any of the PD films, we reeeeaaaally don't want him working on anything TMNT.

Andrew NDB
07-07-2017, 02:22 PM
He probably won't ever get the chance, considering he isn't well known.

That didn't stop them from letting Bay hire the two puppet directors on both movies.

And if he actually praises any of the PD films, we reeeeaaaally don't want him working on anything TMNT.

He probably is like the dumb writers of OotS, who even right now are still sitting there scratching their heads going, "I just don't understand... why didn't people like our movie?"

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-07-2017, 03:53 PM
I'm all for new and unproven filmmakers for some properties, but TMNT has been underestimated and exploited for toys/merch/pizza for far too long.

I want a filmmaker with a proven track record that I can examine and say "Yes, this man/woman has proven that they can make a damn good movie."

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
07-07-2017, 04:16 PM
Was Dave Green (who directed "Out of the Shadows") also a TMNT fan as a child?

Andrew NDB
07-07-2017, 04:19 PM
Was Dave Green (who directed "Out of the Shadows") also a TMNT fan as a child?

"I grew up as a huge fan of The Turtles. I watched the cartoon every day with my friends after school." - Dave Green

http://screenrant.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-dave-green-interview/

https://www.viralviralvideos.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Facepalm-GIF-2015.gif

07-07-2017, 04:23 PM
I think we must be prepared for upcoming versions having different background stories of the turtles than those we all know.

TigerClaw
07-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Anyone familiar with this guy or his work? While would certainly isn't a will, it's still nice to see people interested and this soon.

http://screenrant.com/ghost-story-david-lowery-ninja-turtles/
I'm ok with him directing a new TMNT movie, he directed the Pete's Dragon remake for Disney, which I thought was really good, it wasn't like the original, but the remake had a lot of heart to it.

07-07-2017, 04:26 PM
I'm ok with him directing a new TMNT movie, he directed the Pete's Dragon remake for Disney, which I thought was really good, it wasn't like the original, but the remake had a lot of heart to it.

More about him here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lowery_(director))

TigerClaw
07-07-2017, 04:29 PM
More about him here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lowery_(director)
He's proven that he can make quality movies with that Pete's Dragon remake, so I could see him do a TMNT movie if given the chance.

Andrew NDB
07-07-2017, 04:40 PM
He's proven that he can make quality movies with that Pete's Dragon remake, so I could see him do a TMNT movie if given the chance.

That'd be like giving a Batman movie to a Shrek director, because they did a good Shrek movie. It's not remotely the same kind of material.

TigerClaw
07-07-2017, 04:42 PM
That'd be like giving a Batman movie to a Shrek director, because they did a good Shrek movie. It's not remotely the same kind of material.
The Pete's Dragon remake wasn't anything like the original movie, since that was a musical, and this remake was a serious take on it

07-07-2017, 04:47 PM
I haven't seen any David Lowery.

TigerClaw
07-07-2017, 04:49 PM
I haven't seen any David Lowery.
Check out Pete's Dragon.

Powder
07-07-2017, 06:11 PM
I don't know this guy but his comments on TMNT movies convinced me he shouldn't ever be allowed to make one.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-07-2017, 06:12 PM
Looking at the man's filmography...

No. I don't see it.

DestronMirage22
07-07-2017, 07:46 PM

The Pete's Dragon remake wasn't anything like the original movie, since that was a musical, and this remake was a serious take on it

Check out Pete's Dragon.

Guess you really liked that Pete's Dragon huh?

TigerClaw
07-07-2017, 08:25 PM
Guess you really liked that Pete's Dragon huh?
Cause its the only big movie he's done for Disney, he usually does a bunch of Indie movies.

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-07-2017, 10:02 PM
Guys, I think your being a bit too hard on the guy. Not everyone knows about the mirage comic, or how gritty the Tmnt started out. Half the younger directors out there probably grew up with Fred Wolf, and would need to research the property to get it right. Did the 1990 director know anything about tmnt until he did his research. Don't condemn him for not knowing mirage straight out of the gate, but still being a turtle fan.

TigerClaw
07-07-2017, 11:22 PM
Guys, I think your being a bit too hard on the guy. Not everyone knows about the mirage comic, or how gritty the Tmnt started out. Half the younger directors out there probably grew up with Fred Wolf, and would need to research the property to get it right. Did the 1990 director know anything about tmnt until he did his research. Don't condemn him for not knowing mirage straight out of the gate, but still being a turtle fan.
Very true, a lot of fans that group up in the 80s are more familiar with the 87 cartoon then the comic, I think some would prefer the 87 cartoon over the Mirage comic due to the tone, I do, I read some of the black and white comics, and just didnt enjoy them, until they released the Archie comics which were more of what I'm used to with the 87 cartoon.

So we have these young up and coming directors, who grew up with what they saw on TV more then the comic they are based on.

The director specifically said that he wasn't a fan of the 2014 movie, but liked Out Of The Shadows more cause it was close to the original series, mainly the characters of Bebop and Rocksteady, and Krang were the things he loved about it.

Andrew NDB
07-08-2017, 01:44 AM
Half the younger directors out there probably grew up with Fred Wolf, and would need to research the property to get it right.

They need to actually do that, though.

Though I think someone coming to the table first as an avid Fred Wolf TMNT fan and nothing else, and then trying to retroactively figure out "What's this about Mirage TMNT?"... that's going to create a lot of "cross contamination." Probably.

Xav
07-08-2017, 01:45 AM
The director specifically said that he wasn't a fan of the 2014 movie, but liked Out Of The Shadows more cause it was close to the original series, mainly the characters of Bebop and Rocksteady, and Krang were the things he loved about it.Where are you getting this from? He doesn't mention Bebop and Rocksteady once in the article.

Andrew NDB
07-08-2017, 01:46 AM
Where are you getting this from? He doesn't mention Bebop and Rocksteady once in the article.

He might as well have.

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-08-2017, 08:47 AM
They need to actually do that, though.

Though I think someone coming to the table first as an avid Fred Wolf TMNT fan and nothing else, and then trying to retroactively figure out "What's this about Mirage TMNT?"... that's going to create a lot of "cross contamination." Probably.

All he did was mention he wanted to make a tmnt movie, though. I'm not going to condemn him for liking bay or Fred Wolf when he just said 'this is something I'd like to do'. I'd expect him to do his research if he made a pitch, or was actually in the running for the job. Most of the directors willing to touch something like this are going to come from the Fred Wolf school of thought, and need to learn about the franchise's roots.

You know what I partially hope happens? A director with his own vision comes along, one with the clout to stand up to studio demands, and willing to make a hard-edged tmnt movie, takes a look at both the mirage come and Fred Wolf cartoons, says 'forget this' chucks them both in the trash, and takes the turtles, the basics of their origin, the themes and cycle of vengeance without watering them down, and tells a whole new story in a whole new way, without slavishly copying entire mirage or Fred Wolf.

TigerClaw
07-08-2017, 08:57 AM
All he did was mention he wanted to make a tmnt movie, though. I'm not going to condemn him for liking bay or Fred Wolf when he just said 'this is something I'd like to do'. I'd expect him to do his research if he made a pitch, or was actually in the running for the job. Most of the directors willing to touch something like this are going to come from the Fred Wolf school of thought, and need to learn about the franchise's roots.

You know what I partially hope happens? A director with his own vision comes along, takes a look at both the mirage come and Fred Wolf cartoons, says 'forget this' chucks them both in the trash, and takes the turtles, the basics of their origin, the themes and cycle of vengeance without watering them down, and tells a whole new story in a whole new way, without slavishly copying entire mirage or Fred Wolf.
Whoever directs a new TMNT movie, should research the IDW comics, they are very good, and are the best of both worlds when it comes to Mirage, Fred Wolf, and Archie comic.

Andrew NDB
07-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Whoever directs a new TMNT movie, should research the IDW comics, they are very good, and are the best of both worlds when it comes to Mirage, Fred Wolf, and Archie comic.

Hell no. It's just fanfiction jambalaya.

Ninjinister
07-08-2017, 02:00 PM
Hell no. It's just fanfiction jambalaya.

That turn of phrase more accurately describes your Turtles books than IDW's.

And I say that as a fan of the former.

IndigoErth
07-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Not a thing wrong with loving the the original cartoon or having grown up watching it after school every day... a lot of us did, but being the primary oringal source for us doesn't make it the only source for us now. :trazz: But yes, I agree it should not be the only basis for a film. And if it's pulled from at all, maybe just stick with certain parts of it, like the Turtles goofing off at home. Don't pull from it for the actual story or use it to take away from when it needs to be serious.

"Wonder Woman" has supposedly been a hit, right? How can we talk that director into getting on board? :D Besides, putting more women in there could be a plus so we can get a real April in this day and age.

Andrew NDB
07-08-2017, 04:02 PM
All he did was mention he wanted to make a tmnt movie, though. I'm not going to condemn him for liking bay

I am. He's a filmmaker who digs sh*t movies. It's his trade, he should absolutely be judged for it (and kept far, far away from TMNT).

TigerClaw
07-08-2017, 04:56 PM
I am. He's a filmmaker who digs sh*t movies. It's his trade, he should absolutely be judged for it (and kept far, far away from TMNT).
What you call sh*t movies, are good movies to other, taste is subjective, and there is no such thing as sh*t movies, that's just a matter of opinion and personal taste.

TurtleTitan97
07-08-2017, 05:35 PM
and there is no such thing as sh*t movies

Then you're obviously living in complete ignorance if you honestly believe that's the case.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-08-2017, 06:03 PM
What you call sh*t movies, are good movies to other, taste is subjective, and there is no such thing as sh*t movies, that's just a matter of opinion and personal taste.

People can like what they like. And there is always room for personal interpretation and disagreement.

But some writing, no matter what and no matter who likes it, is not good. Call it trash, call it a guilty pleasure, it is what it is and isn't what it isn't...

For one of the furthest extremes... Uwe Boll.

IndigoErth
07-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Sounds like that "A Ghost Story" film is getting a lot of good said of it. While still I'd prefer someone with a wider range of knowledge of TMNT do the actual writing... if this guy's ability to take an absurd idea like a guy in a sheet and put the weight the film on deeper elements that go beyond that, I admit that intrigues me a bit. Whoever makes the next someday, I'd like to see that kind of purposeful depth return to TMNT.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/how-a-ghost-story-became-the-most-haunting-movie-of-2017-w490950

It's a testament to the director's vision that A Ghost Story not only gets past the absurdity factor of watching an Academy Award-winning star resemble a toddler's drawing of a spooky specter; it actually succeeds in making this sight one of the most sorrowful, poignant and moving visuals you will see in a movie theater this year, or possibly any year. A largely free-form mediation on mourning that begins with a car accident – the one that shuffles a musician named "C" (Affleck) off this mortal coil and turns his girlfriend "M" (Rooney Mara) into a grief-stricken wreck – and eventually incorporates real-time binge-eating, Blade Runner-esque dystopias and Will Oldham rhapsodizing about the apocalypse into its mix, Lowery's extraordinary work is nothing if not ambitious. But it's the way he uses the ridicule-courting sight of the dead observing a living world go on without them that gives the film its power to break your heart.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/7/7/15925272/ghost-story-review-rooney-mara-casey-affleck

A Ghost Story was one of Sundance’s most buzzed-about films. It earns the hype.
Starring Rooney Mara and Casey Affleck, the movie takes an intimate story of love and loss and turns it into something cosmic.

http://www.salon.com/2017/07/08/a-ghost-story-a24/

A24 has ushered in a renaissance of bizarre indies that tap strange, headline-catching ideas for very good purposes

https://www.cnet.com/news/a-ghost-story-review-rooney-mara-casey-affleck/

'A Ghost Story' is small on story, big on meaning

Spoiler-free review: While slow and sometimes tedious, "A Ghost Story" hits deep with a poetic, subtle contemplation of what it means to leave a mark.

Though I'm sure it says a lot that this is an indie film, open to such creativity, as TMNT once was. I wish they could have that back, while aided by a bigger budget, but what are the chances.

At the very least... I'm glad film makers with interest in the Turtles and the articles that say so at least offers the topic further discussion on sites like this that people tend to pay some attention to. (Not to mention the encouragement of film makers still seeing them as a worthy franchise to take on no matter if others work with them bombed.)

TigerClaw
07-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Sounds like that "A Ghost Story" film is getting a lot of good said of it. While still I'd prefer someone with a wider range of knowledge of TMNT do the actual writing... if this guy's ability to take an absurd idea like a guy in a sheet and put the weight the film on deeper elements that go beyond that, I admit that intrigues me a bit. Whoever makes the next someday, I'd like to see that kind of purposeful depth return to TMNT.

Though I'm sure it says a lot that this is an indie film, open to such creativity, as TMNT once was. I wish they could have that back, while aided by a bigger budget, but what are the chances.

At the very least... I'm glad film makers with interest in the Turtles and the articles that say so at least offers the topic further discussion on sites like this that people tend to pay some attention to. (Not to mention the encouragement of film makers still seeing them as a worthy franchise to take on no matter if others work with them bombed.)
That film is certified fresh with an 87% on Rotten Tomatoes, I think he's capable of doing a TMNT movie if given a chance.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_ghost_story

LeotheLateBloomer
07-10-2017, 07:33 AM
A movie getting an 87% on Rotten Tomatoes doesn't automatically mean he can do a TMNT movie justice. Plus have you watched any of his other films besides Pete's Dragon?

Andrew NDB
07-10-2017, 09:52 AM
Sharknado got an 82% on Rottentomatoes. Should that team make the next Turtles movie?

Xav
07-10-2017, 09:52 AM
Besides, putting more women in there could be a plus so we can get a real April in this day and age.You're telling me Megan Fox wasn't a real April?

GoldMutant
07-10-2017, 09:57 AM
You're telling me Megan Fox wasn't a real April?

Are you telling me that watching paint dry is better than Megan Fox's performance?

Sabacooza
07-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Megan Fox fits right in with all the other garbage in this movie.

IndigoErth
07-10-2017, 12:41 PM
:tlol:

Weeeeeell.... I think it could be argued that it isn't so much Megan Fox trying to play April as it is April playing Megan Fox.

These Turtles don't even know April and Casey, they just accidentally befriended Megan Fox and Stephen Amell. :trazz:

Sabacooza
07-10-2017, 01:51 PM
I don't think it would hurt if Megan actually took some acting classes although it might not matter much seeing as how she can barely move her face because of all the Botox. Maybe that's not entirely true though. Was her face as wooden in the first Transformers movie?

newhire13
07-10-2017, 02:11 PM

This. Everyone is on their high horse. Relax, its not that serious.

Donnie
07-11-2017, 12:33 PM
Rotten Tomatoes is completely subjective, I don't know why people consider it the holy grail of movie ratings. Just because RT gives a movie a decent rating, doesn't mean everyone will enjoy it. It varies by individual viewer.

TigerClaw
07-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Rotten Tomatoes is completely subjective, I don't know why people consider it the holy grail of movie ratings. Just because RT gives a movie a decent rating, doesn't mean everyone will enjoy it. It varies by individual viewer.
True, even if a movie has a low RT rating, it doesnt mean everyone won't like it, there are those that liked the movies despite the low RT ratings.

neatoman
07-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Sharknado got an 82% on Rottentomatoes. Should that team make the next Turtles movie?

Would you watch it if Bebop swallowed a live grenade and Rocksteady was sliced in half with a chainsaw?

pferreira
07-13-2017, 09:07 AM
No idea who this guy is or if he could make a good TMNT movie. Nice he liked Out of the Shadows, wasn't that bad.

Good and fair point... (Now if someone could help educate him first... Maybe we can send in Andrew. :trazz:)Nobody needs Andrew to educate them. :lol:

Gotta agree with Andrew here, I don't want anyone praising the second PD movie (let alone either one of them) anywhere near an official TMNT project.

pretty much just needs to be blacklisted from ever working on any motion picture, ever, in any capacity.

I don't know this guy but his comments on TMNT movies convinced me he shouldn't ever be allowed to make one.

I am. He's a filmmaker who digs sh*t movies. It's his trade, he should absolutely be judged for it (and kept far, far away from TMNT).I see a lot of what's called butt hurt Mirage fans here.

"I grew up as a huge fan of The Turtles. I watched the cartoon every day with my friends after school." - Dave GreenSo because he liked the Fred Wolf cartoon he's not a real fan? Tell me, how do you like your fans? Mirage grilled which a touch of IDW? :roll:

Don't condemn him for not knowing mirage straight out of the gate, but still being a turtle fan.You could take this further and say that no one should be condemned for not actually liking the Mirage comics.

What you call sh*t movies, are good movies to other, taste is subjective, and there is no such thing as sh*t movies, that's just a matter of opinion and personal taste.Very true in a way. Critical reviews are almost always subjective, it depends on what you personally got out of a film. Most of the time we can see a bad movie a long way off but for some they can find stuff that interests them about it.

Now can we please put to rest the whole Out of the Shadows shouldn't be liked argument? It's not the worst film ever and I'd rather watch that again than say the first D movie or the 2007 movie.

TigerClaw
07-13-2017, 09:48 AM
No idea who this guy is or if he could make a good TMNT movie. Nice he liked Out of the Shadows, wasn't that bad.

Nobody needs Andrew to educate them. :lol:

I see a lot of what's called butt hurt Mirage fans here.

So because he liked the Fred Wolf cartoon he's not a real fan? Tell me, how do you like your fans? Mirage grilled which a touch of IDW? :roll:

You could take this further and say that no one should be condemned for not actually liking the Mirage comics.

Very true in a way. Critical reviews are almost always subjective, it depends on what you personally got out of a film. Most of the time we can see a bad movie a long way off but for some they can find stuff that interests them about it.

Now can we please put to rest the whole Out of the Shadows shouldn't be liked argument? It's not the worst film ever and I'd rather watch that again than say the first D movie or the 2007 movie.
Ditto at what he said.

Andrew NDB
07-13-2017, 10:05 AM
Now can we please put to rest the whole Out of the Shadows shouldn't be liked argument?

No.

It's not the worst film ever and I'd rather watch that again than say the first D movie or the 2007 movie.

That's nice. You should do that, then... during your Fridays-Wednesdays.

Xav
07-13-2017, 01:35 PM
I see a lot of what's called butt hurt Mirage fans here.So were all those critics who trashed the movie butt hurt Mirage fans too?

neatoman
07-13-2017, 01:48 PM
So were all those critics who trashed the movie butt hurt Mirage fans too?

Not to mention the general audience. Funny thing about that, I just checked Rotten Tomatoes and the audience score is slightly lower than for the first one.

Don't really get why this movie has people trying to defend it by what the critics had to say a year later, it was still overwhelmingly negative and the "positive" reviews pretty much amount to "It's for kids, so I don't care".

pferreira
07-13-2017, 02:10 PM
No.Ok Andrew, you continue sulking then. :-?

So were all those critics who trashed the movie butt hurt Mirage fans too?No, most of the critics generally hate TMNT. Even if it was a good movie like the 1990 movie they still didn't like it.

Don't really get why this movie has people trying to defend it by what the critics had to say a year later, it was still overwhelmingly negative and the "positive" reviews pretty much amount to "It's for kids, so I don't care".Since when have most critics understood and respected TMNT?

TigerClaw
07-13-2017, 02:26 PM
Ok Andrew, you continue sulking then. :-?

No, most of the critics generally hate TMNT. Even if it was a good movie like the 1990 movie they still didn't like it.

Since when have most critics understood and respected TMNT?
Neither, as you can see from the Rotten Tomato scores for all 6 TMNT movies.

TMNT 1990 = 40%
TMNT 2: The Secret Of The Ooze 1991 = 32%
TMNT 3 1993 = 21%
TMNT 2007 = 34%
TMNT 2014 = 22%
TMNT: Out Of The Shadows 2016 = 38%

neatoman
07-13-2017, 03:08 PM
Neither, as you can see from the Rotten Tomato scores for all 6 TMNT movies.

TMNT 1990 = 40%
TMNT 2: The Secret Of The Ooze 1991 = 32%
TMNT 3 1993 = 21%
TMNT 2007 = 34%
TMNT 2014 = 22%
TMNT: Out Of The Shadows 2016 = 38%

None of these movies are actually good, TMNT 1990 and TMNT 2007 come the closest to being good but they ultimately aren't. Ooze and TMNT 2014 are incredibly lame and somewhat annoying, III and Shadows are legitimate train wrecks.

I'm sorry if this bursts anyone's bubble but they haven't gotten negative reception because of stigma against the franchise, but because they're all lacking in some basic way.

snake
07-13-2017, 03:31 PM
None of these movies are actually good, TMNT 1990 and TMNT 2007 come the closest to being good but they ultimately aren't. Ooze and TMNT 2014 are incredibly lame and somewhat annoying, III and Shadows are legitimate train wrecks.

I'm sorry if this bursts anyone's bubble but they haven't gotten negative reception because of stigma against the franchise, but because they're all lacking in some basic way.

1990 is one of the best comic book films of all time. It's a leginimately good film and I'll argue that with anyone.

TigerClaw
07-13-2017, 03:36 PM

True, the only way a TMNT movie can get a 60% or higher score, the story has to be good, and enough to draw the audience in, but TMNT has this stigma of it being a kids franchise, so they don't push it far enough.

from the Studios eyes, its a kids property, the next movie needs a director who puts a lot of heart into TMNT and not cut any corners, but make a film that has a lot of emotion, heart, drama, humor and action, the 1990 has that, but the critics didn't love it, and I think its cause its a kids property, so its hard for them to take TMNT very seriously.

Someone like a Joss Whedon should do a TMNT movie.

snake
07-13-2017, 03:39 PM
If 1990 were released today with only minor changes, I guarantee it would have a 70-75% score.

Andrew NDB
07-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Someone like a Joss Whedon should do a TMNT movie.

I wouldn't be against that.

If 1990 were released today with only minor changes, I guarantee it would have a 70-75% score.

I dunno... maybe.

TigerClaw
07-13-2017, 03:57 PM
If the 1990 movie was released today, but instead of the costumes, replaced with CGI motion capture, it probably would do better.

snake
07-13-2017, 04:33 PM
If the 1990 movie was released today, but instead of the costumes, replaced with CGI motion capture, it probably would do better.

The costumes would add to the charm. Could you imagine how good the costumes could look if they didn't cheap out and used 2017 costume making technology to the fullest extent?

TigerClaw
07-13-2017, 05:42 PM
The costumes would add to the charm. Could you imagine how good the costumes could look if they didn't cheap out and used 2017 costume making technology to the fullest extent?
The problem with the costumes, is that it gives the stunt performers limited mobility.

Andrew NDB
07-13-2017, 05:43 PM
The problem with the costumes, is that it gives the stunt performers limited mobility.

They've had almost 30 years to improve suit materials since the first movie.

LeotheLateBloomer
07-13-2017, 10:46 PM

You'd be surprised at what suits can still do.

If this guy can do research and make sure to stray from what's mainstream, then maybe. I would rather Matt Reeves (Planet of the Apes) to try a TMNT movie.

Ninjinister
07-14-2017, 02:46 AM
I think the most damnable thing about all this is that they keep reporting when any rando in Hollywood has said they want to do something.

These almost never amount to anything more than filler for trivia sections on Wikipedia.

Andrew NDB
07-14-2017, 09:52 AM
I think the most damnable thing about all this is that they keep reporting when any rando in Hollywood has said they want to do something.

These almost never amount to anything more than filler for trivia sections on Wikipedia.

Agreed, that is very retarded. It's like veritable breaking news any time an actor expresses a wish to play a part. "So-and-so wants to play Green Lantern in the Justice League!"

So what? That's not the way it works. Actors don't cast themselves, nor are directors/casting directors sitting on their hands waiting to see who in Hollywood is interested.

snake
07-14-2017, 11:18 AM
I wanna be a popular actor for the sole purpose of trying to get myself on as much clickbait as possible.

SNAKE WANTS TO PLAY NIGHTWING
SNAKE WANTS TO PLAY AHSOKA IN STAR WARS MOVIE THAT ISN'T HAPPENING
SNAKE WANTS TO PLAY SNAKE IN BIO-PIC

Ninjinister
07-18-2017, 11:23 PM
I wanna be a popular actor for the sole purpose of trying to get myself on as much clickbait as possible.

SNAKE WANTS TO PLAY NIGHTWING
SNAKE WANTS TO PLAY AHSOKA IN STAR WARS MOVIE THAT ISN'T HAPPENING
SNAKE WANTS TO PLAY SNAKE IN BIO-PIC

I was thinking of how hilarious it'd be to do this, myself :lol:

pferreira
07-20-2017, 09:01 AM

I'm sorry if this bursts anyone's bubble but they haven't gotten negative reception because of stigma against the franchise, but because they're all lacking in some basic way.Speak for yourself, the first movie is a very good movie. The sequel is okay, it does some stuff right but critically a bit of a let down. The reason critics never liked the movies is simply because the whole thing is seen as a marketing gimmick and they can't get past that. Same with Power Rangers.

Someone like a Joss Whedon should do a TMNT movie.If he directed an TMNT movie it would be a feminist movie where by the end he'd kill everyone off. :lol:

TigerClaw
07-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Speak for yourself, the first movie is a very good movie. The sequel is okay, it does some stuff right but critically a bit of a let down. The reason critics never liked the movies is simply because the whole thing is seen as a marketing gimmick and they can't get past that. Same with Power Rangers.

If he directed an TMNT movie it would be a feminist movie where by the end he'd kill everyone off. :lol:
Someone in the caliber of Joss Whedon should do a TMNT movie, and someone who understands the property and knows it.

eskater
08-07-2017, 11:25 AM

I honestly find this very annoying on many levels, before the 2014 PD movie came out and it was just rumors for a long time before that I would eat up any news I could get my hands on. Now anyone saying they want to do any "X" or "Y" movie gets coverage.....it's almost like politics in coverage sometimes. It's just annoying honestly.

newfan
08-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Maybe they are just waiting for a bit more time to pass between reboots (though it didn't stop Spiderman :))
I think I'd probably prefer CGI for the turtles to suits, unless they really didn't look like suits.

eskater
08-07-2017, 11:53 AM
I kind of hope they're waiting between time for reboots honestly, I mean they waited on Batman before the Nolan trilogy and that paid off. Before that people actually liked Batman Forever *cringes*

newfan
08-07-2017, 01:26 PM
I kind of hope they're waiting between time for reboots honestly, I mean they waited on Batman before the Nolan trilogy and that paid off. Before that people actually liked Batman Forever *cringes*

I remember watching that at the theater. Yeah sometimes a wait can give people time to miss it.... or forget it depending on whether it was successful or not :)

pferreira
08-10-2017, 08:25 AM
Someone in the caliber of Joss Whedon should do a TMNT movie, and someone who understands the property and knows it.I'm okay with Whedon leaving TMNT alone actually. ;)

I kind of hope they're waiting between time for reboots honestly, I mean they waited on Batman before the Nolan trilogy and that paid off. Before that people actually liked Batman Forever *cringes*Not sure what you're talking about. I find Batman Forever a more enjoyable Batman movie than the Nolan trilogy.

eskater
08-10-2017, 09:15 AM
I'm okay with Whedon leaving TMNT alone actually. ;)

Not sure what you're talking about. I find Batman Forever a more enjoyable Batman movie than the Nolan trilogy.

Even as a kid I didn't like Batman Forever.....it made me start missing the Burton Batman instead.

pferreira
08-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Even as a kid I didn't like Batman Forever.....it made me start missing the Burton Batman instead.Well to be fair the Nolan Trilogy is further away from that style.

eskater
08-18-2017, 08:48 AM
Well to be fair the Nolan Trilogy is further away from that style.

This is true, IDK why but I've always liked a darker Batman even before I read the Dark Knight returns. Something about the Timmverse Batman that started with Batman:TAS got me liking a darker Batman. Not to say I want it all dark, even the Batman:TAS had lighter moments, but do you remember those cameos the Adam West Batman had on Scooby Doo? Even without knowing and/or watching that version of Batman beforehand....I didn't like it at all as a kid. Like at all honestly, but like the FW TMNT I do appreciate what that version of the Batman did for to expand the fanbase and the franchise.

LeotheLateBloomer
08-18-2017, 10:24 PM
This is true, IDK why but I've always liked a darker Batman even before I read the Dark Knight returns. Something about the Timmverse Batman that started with Batman:TAS got me liking a darker Batman. Not to say I want it all dark, even the Batman:TAS had lighter moments, but do you remember those cameos the Adam West Batman had on Scooby Doo? Even without knowing and/or watching that version of Batman beforehand....I didn't like it at all as a kid. Like at all honestly, but like the FW TMNT I do appreciate what that version of the Batman did for to expand the fanbase and the franchise.

Agreed since Batman would be dead without the 60s show which would mean no chance of a dark Batman. Unfortunately, it feels that the writers for later versions of Batman seem to have forgotten what made the TAS version more likable and just make him dark with no layers.

GoldMutant
08-19-2017, 08:25 AM

Speaking of the Dynamic Scooby Affair, neither the late Adam West or Burt Ward voiced them surprisingly! I believe it was the late Casey Kasem (Shaggy's original voice actor) as Robin and Batman I don't recall. Designs were similar as a Batman cartoon at the time was planned before Superfriends came along.

I do wonder if the whole drome could come together to make one TMNT movie. Probably not likely due to differing opinions, but I do wonder it at points.

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-19-2017, 08:54 AM
I do wonder if the whole drome could come together to make one TMNT movie. Probably not likely due to differing opinions, but I do wonder it at points.

We would all never agree on anything, our opinions of what turtles should be are too diverse. It would be too many cooks making the stew. The closest MOST PEOPLE could agree on would be IDW, but even that has it's detractors in the fanbase.

eskater
08-21-2017, 07:36 AM
We would all never agree on anything, our opinions of what turtles should be are too diverse. It would be too many cooks making the stew. The closest MOST PEOPLE could agree on would be IDW, but even that has it's detractors in the fanbase.

I didn't think people could detract from the IDW version but I was sadly mistaken I guess...

AquaParade
08-21-2017, 09:58 AM
I didn't think people could detract from the IDW version but I was sadly mistaken I guess...

I think, conceptually, yeah, it hits all the right notes - Themes of family, legacy, consequence. A willingness to try new things.

Unless you really want to dive into the Philosophical bend to TMNT. I find Mirage to be fascinating in the way it paints a lot of the characters in the grey-moral area. That may be more present in IDW TMNT than I realize, but I haven't really seen it.

Andrew NDB
08-21-2017, 10:10 AM

I would never say, "Don't read IDW, it's terrible." But beyond the reincarnation stuff... it's literally just taking everything from TMNT ever, and doing this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-i5WIeOTN2ug/VjFPtOHKjHI/AAAAAAAAF1o/00YQCfBy_YE/s1600/witches%2Bcauldron%2B2.gif

Which is fine, but that's certainly not doing anything bold or new with the Turtles or even setting IDW aside as a distinct TMNT universe (I mean, how would you describe IDW to other fans? "The one that has all the stuff from all the others"?). I think just about any TMNT fan could figure out ways to, you know, weave Ray Fillet or Mondo Gecko into the same universe as General Traag and the Neutrinos and Zog... but that's hacky. It just seems like largely a fanfiction of trying to make everyone happy... which is foolish. And with Nickelodeon binding their hands about not letting the Turtles actually kill anyone or actually getting their hands dirty... not even possible.

marcelangelo
08-21-2017, 11:37 AM
I would never say, "Don't read IDW, it's terrible." But beyond the reincarnation stuff... it's literally just taking everything from TMNT ever, and doing this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-i5WIeOTN2ug/VjFPtOHKjHI/AAAAAAAAF1o/00YQCfBy_YE/s1600/witches%2Bcauldron%2B2.gif

Which is fine, but that's certainly not doing anything bold or new with the Turtles or even setting IDW aside as a distinct TMNT universe (I mean, how would you describe IDW to other fans? "The one that has all the stuff from all the others"?). I think just about any TMNT fan could figure out ways to, you know, weave Ray Fillet or Mondo Gecko into the same universe as General Traag and the Neutrinos and Zog... but that's hacky. It just seems like largely a fanfiction of trying to make everyone happy... which is foolish. And with Nickelodeon binding their hands about not letting the Turtles actually kill anyone or actually getting their hands dirty... not even possible.

wow, your comment really pretty much sums up my problem with the idw version of the turtles...I have tried to get into it, I was reading everything they put out for the first two years or so..until issue 30 I think..then I stopped reading simply because it wasn't giving me anything. to me this turtles comic is closer to the typical marvel or dc superhero book with lots of pseudo drama and boost but for me...naaargh, it just doesn't give me anything.many people feel strongly different than me on this and that is great.but its nothing for me. I even recently bought another tpb of it to try and see if something had changed but I can't get myself to read through this completely..it is so very much a fanfiction type of feeling ,you really said it best, andrew..

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-21-2017, 11:09 PM
I'll guess take my mixed stew with ingredients from all past recipes, and pass on the gourmet soup. Even if the gourmet soup tastes better, I still can't force myself to enjoy it, even after eating several bowls. :ohwell:

And as I said, this fanbase will never agree on anything, except that we like the turtles themselves. We're all just too stubborn and pig-headed for our own good.

eskater
08-22-2017, 07:43 AM
I'll guess take my mixed stew with ingredients from all past recipes, and pass on the gourmet soup. Even if the gourmet soup tastes better, I still can't force myself to enjoy it, even after eating several bowls. :ohwell:

And as I said, this fanbase will never agree on anything, except that we like the turtles themselves. We're all just too stubborn and pig-headed for our own good.

That describes pretty much any fanbase lol....although TMNT does seem to draw some sharp lines sometimes.

Andrew NDB
08-22-2017, 10:01 AM
Even as a kid I didn't like Batman Forever.....it made me start missing the Burton Batman instead.

I really disliked Batman Forever as a kid. Still, there was juuust enough Burton influence there (he was a producer on it, after all) that I wasn't quite willing to discard it outright as part of the "trilogy."

And the less said about "Batman & Robin" the better.

newfan
08-22-2017, 10:50 AM
I really disliked Batman Forever as a kid. Still, there was juuust enough Burton influence there (he was a producer on it, after all) that I wasn't quite willing to discard it outright as part of the "trilogy."

And the less said about "Batman & Robin" the better.

Haha, yeah I gave Batman and Robin a miss

eskater
08-22-2017, 11:26 AM
Haha, yeah I gave Batman and Robin a miss

I try to block out that movie as much as possible....

pferreira
08-24-2017, 10:42 AM
This is true, IDK why but I've always liked a darker Batman even before I read the Dark Knight returns. Something about the Timmverse Batman that started with Batman:TAS got me liking a darker Batman. Not to say I want it all dark, even the Batman:TAS had lighter moments, but do you remember those cameos the Adam West Batman had on Scooby Doo? Even without knowing and/or watching that version of Batman beforehand....I didn't like it at all as a kid. Like at all honestly, but like the FW TMNT I do appreciate what that version of the Batman did for to expand the fanbase and the franchise.I prefer a Batman both in terms of tone and style that is like the 90s animated series. That's why I enjoyed Batman Forever and can't get behind the Nolan trilogy. B & R was too far in one direction, the Nolan films were too far in the other direction.

I do wonder if the whole drome could come together to make one TMNT movie. Probably not likely due to differing opinions, but I do wonder it at points.Ha, ha! Are you kidding? No one would agree and the most prominent and purist members would complain it be done their way. No, that wouldn't happen until people change.

Haha, yeah I gave Batman and Robin a missThe most annoying thing about that movie is that we missed out on Batman Triumphant which would have been a great movie. Can only be a dream but I wish they'd still make it.

Andrew NDB
08-24-2017, 12:20 PM
The most annoying thing about that movie is that we missed out on Batman Triumphant which would have been a great movie. Can only be a dream but I wish they'd still make it.

Now I know you're trolling. Nobody misses that movie, nobody.

neatoman
08-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Now I know you're trolling. Nobody misses that movie, nobody.

Wasn't that the pitch where a combined Harley/Joker's Daughter character would bring daddy back to life somehow?

eskater
08-26-2017, 10:25 PM
I prefer a Batman both in terms of tone and style that is like the 90s animated series. That's why I enjoyed Batman Forever and can't get behind the Nolan trilogy. B & R was too far in one direction, the Nolan films were too far in the other direction.

The most annoying thing about that movie is that we missed out on Batman Triumphant which would have been a great movie. Can only be a dream but I wish they'd still make it.

I can understand that honestly.....Batman Forever did do very well and it was what people wanted at the time. I generally think Nolan's Batman is definitely not the best, I do have some hope still for Batfleck.
Also Batman Triumphant??? I've never heard of that one!

Andrew NDB
08-27-2017, 01:26 AM
I can understand that honestly.....Batman Forever did do very well and it was what people wanted at the time.

It had a great soundtrack that was better than the movie and 40% of it was OK.

It's Batman & Robin Part 2. That's all you need to know.

newfan
08-27-2017, 01:32 AM
I can understand that honestly.....Batman Forever did do very well and it was what people wanted at the time. I generally think Nolan's Batman is definitely not the best, I do have some hope still for Batfleck.

Every time people have mentioned Batman forever on here I get the soundtrack playing in my head, the U2 track.
Do you think Batman forever only did well because the first two movies were successful and this one introduced Robin too, so people went to watch it?
I liked Batman Begins.

Metalwolf
08-28-2017, 05:18 AM

Which is fine, but that's certainly not doing anything bold or new with the Turtles or even setting IDW aside as a distinct TMNT universe (I mean, how would you describe IDW to other fans? "The one that has all the stuff from all the others"?). I think just about any TMNT fan could figure out ways to, you know, weave Ray Fillet or Mondo Gecko into the same universe as General Traag and the Neutrinos and Zog... but that's hacky. It just seems like largely a fanfiction of trying to make everyone happy... which is foolish. And with Nickelodeon binding their hands about not letting the Turtles actually kill anyone or actually getting their hands dirty... not even possible.But isn't this the same problem that almost every TMNT show/series has? Rehashing old stories and rarely trying anything new? I mean, almost all series have City at War, the sabbatical at the farmhouse, Renet showing up, having Shredder use Bebop and Rocksteady as his main henchmen, (now) the inevitable FW crossover...

IDW is just the latest installment of this, only it's a lot more obvious. All of the same stuff we've seen before, just repackaged. It's why I wish any series' creator would just plug up his/her ears when fans clamor to have the lastest iteration of some XYZ storyline that has been done countless times before, and just do their own stories.

pferreira
08-31-2017, 11:26 AM
Do you think Batman forever only did well because the first two movies were successful and this one introduced Robin too, so people went to watch it?
I liked Batman Begins.It wasn't just the fact Robin was in it. The whole film looked exciting. I had absolutely no interest at the time in Batman Returns.

Now I know you're trolling. Nobody misses that movie, nobody.Nah, not trolling. It would have been a terrific end to the Burton era films had it got made.

It's Batman & Robin Part 2. That's all you need to know.Yet a couple of the elements of Batman Triumphant ended up in Batman Begins so kind of wrong there. ;)

Also Batman Triumphant??? I've never heard of that one!Batman Triumphant would have been the fifth last Batman movie of the Burton era. It would have featured George Clooney's Batman as an old man (think the Logan movie) regretting his years in crime fighting, wondering whether it was worth it. Harley Quinn (probably played by Courtney Love) would have featured, trying to get revenge on the death of The Joker. It would have introduced a new villain in the form of The Scarecrow played by...Nicholas Cage! That would have been so cool!

The Scarecrow would have gassed Batman with his hallucination gas, causing out hero to hallucinate villains from the previous movies (that would have been expensive cameos which included Jack Nicholson). Alicia Silverstone's Batgirl wouldn't have been in it, Chris O'Donnell's Robin would have left Batman and become Nightwing by the end of the movie, while Batman takes in Tim Drake who becomes Robin.

The film would have been pretty dark and much more in line with the first and third movie in tone. Unfortunately the critical bashing B & R got meant they couldn't do the movie that would have provided a better end to the series.

Would have been a great film. See here for more info: http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Unchained

eskater
09-01-2017, 08:21 AM
It wasn't just the fact Robin was in it. The whole film looked exciting. I had absolutely no interest at the time in Batman Returns.

Batman Triumphant would have been the fifth last Batman movie of the Burton era. It would have featured George Clooney's Batman as an old man (think the Logan movie) regretting his years in crime fighting, wondering whether it was worth it. Harley Quinn (probably played by Courtney Love) would have featured, trying to get revenge on the death of The Joker. It would have introduced a new villain in the form of The Scarecrow played by...Nicholas Cage! That would have been so cool!

The Scarecrow would have gassed Batman with his hallucination gas, causing out hero to hallucinate villains from the previous movies (that would have been expensive cameos which included Jack Nicholson). Alicia Silverstone's Batgirl wouldn't have been in it, Chris O'Donnell's Robin would have left Batman and become Nightwing by the end of the movie, while Batman takes in Tim Drake who becomes Robin.

The film would have been pretty dark and much more in line with the first and third movie in tone. Unfortunately the critical bashing B & R got meant they couldn't do the movie that would have provided a better end to the series.

Would have been a great film. See here for more info: http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Unchained

That actually would've been pretty refreshing to see back then!

pferreira
09-07-2017, 02:05 PM
That actually would've been pretty refreshing to see back then!Indeed it would have. If there's ever an unfilmed comic book movie I would have liked to have seen produced this is it.

Andrew NDB
09-07-2017, 02:11 PM
"I really, really wanted to see Batman & Robin Part 2, from Joel Schumacher. I think that would have been awesome."

Everyone else:

https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2015/06/28/635711084530386518-551468551_Ashton-Kutcher-laughing.gif http://rs1219.pbsrc.com/albums/dd434/enchantingsparkle/tumblr_luknndtrik1qkq0wr.gif?w=280&h=210&fit=crop https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-02-2015/xShB_5.gif http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vZi_x-57ato/T0dq3tk8MaI/AAAAAAAAAzI/OfDUGZ_RX5U/s320/black-guys-laughing.gif

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/052009/1243271414_black_guy_laughing.gif http://25.media.tumblr.com/c7386d6d4903000f3178af1e957bcaa9/tumblr_mihpd8rYtR1s51zjyo1_500.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/1zOggkwwUyB8c/giphy.gif

TheSkeletonMan939
09-07-2017, 04:28 PM
The whole film looked exciting.

You realize that you can make anything sound cool on paper? If I actually tried I could make Batman & Robin sound like an exciting, powerful film too.

neatoman
09-08-2017, 03:06 AM
You realize that you can make anything sound cool on paper? If I actually tried I could make Batman & Robin sound like an exciting, powerful film too.

Indeed, observe:

"In this film, Bruce Wayne have to face the mortality of his beloved father figure, Alfred. He has to with a straining relationship with his adopted son Dick, brought on by the villainous Poison Ivy. Ivy's plans involve murdering the innocent wife of Viktor Fries for her own gain, robbing the scientist of all meaning in his life and the sole reason for turning to a life of crime. Together with Bane, a man wronged by the same man as Ivy, they plan to kill everyone in Gotham City in a slow and horrific way"

It's not even hard, just be vague about the details and focus on the parts you see in more serious movies using gripping words.

Krutch
09-08-2017, 05:55 AM
I do wonder if the whole drome could come together to make one TMNT movie. Probably not likely due to differing opinions, but I do wonder it at points.Dude, I can't settle on what I'd put in my own TMNT movie let alone getting the whole Drome to go along with a single vision :lol: Fun to think about, though. A TMNT Film by the Technodrome.

Someone like a Joss Whedon should do a TMNT movie.I'd be over the freakin' moon with this. I'd also like to see Rob Thomas write a TMNT movie. He has a lot of the same stylings as Whedon but with far better consistency.

I think just about any TMNT fan could figure out ways to, you know, weave Ray Fillet or Mondo Gecko into the same universe as General Traag and the Neutrinos and Zog... but that's hacky.Doesn't Grant Morrison make a career out of doing this to Superman and Batman to critical acclaim? I know, I know... Me and my unpopular opinions. :roll:

The reason critics never liked the movies is simply because the whole thing is seen as a marketing gimmick and they can't get past that. Same with Power Rangers.Having the third act of the movie anchoring around a Krispy Kreme didn't help.

I kind of hope they're waiting between time for reboots honestly.I don't. If it's a good movie, people will see it. Hell, even if it isn't, they'll always check out the first one to see how it is if Amazing Spider-Man and TMNT (2014) prove anything.

Andrew NDB
09-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Doesn't Grant Morrison make a career out of doing this to Superman and Batman to critical acclaim? I know, I know... Me and my unpopular opinions. :roll:

OK, let's get a writer of Grant Morrison's stature doing stuff like that with TMNT. Then we'll talk. :)

AquaParade
09-08-2017, 10:00 AM
OK, let's get a writer of Grant Morrison's stature doing stuff like that with TMNT. Then we'll talk. :)

Grant Morrison would reinvigorate this franchise for the next 15 years with the flick of his wrist. The dude is stemming with ideas.
Not only that, but he see's deep into the souls of comic book characters and knows just what makes them resonate with us. Just look at what he did with Batman and X-Men - he flips things on their head, while reminding us why we loved them in the first place.

I probably sound like a fanboy, but the guy's work just really speaks to me. And apparently many others.

Andrew NDB
09-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Grant Morrison would reinvigorate this franchise for the next 15 years with the flick of his wrist. The dude is stemming with ideas.
Not only that, but he see's deep into the souls of comic book characters and knows just what makes them resonate with us.

I probably sound like a fanboy, but the guy's work just really speaks to me. And apparently many others.

Ideas and storytelling. Nobody crafts and tells a story better than Grant Morrison.

Krutch
09-08-2017, 10:25 AM

Ideas and storytelling. Nobody crafts and tells a story better than Grant Morrison.

I think I just bit my tongue in half... :P

Shark_Blade
09-09-2017, 05:29 AM
I have loads of Grant Morrison's Batman comics and I have huge respect for him coming up with Damian Wayne and his rebellious traits. But apart from that, the comics are not really that groundbreaking or anything that special. It's better than the usual stale writers sure. I dislike his messy crap that is "Final Crisis".

That being said, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns & Batman: Year One are grossly overrated.

Krutch
09-10-2017, 09:56 AM
But apart from that, the comics are not really that groundbreaking or anything that special. It's better than the usual stale writers sure. I dislike his messy crap that is "Final Crisis".That's pretty much my opinion of him, too. Glad to see I'm not alone. If he ever wrote TMNT I'd happily check it out, though. Just to see what his take on it would be.

AquaParade
09-11-2017, 09:13 AM
I have loads of Grant Morrison's Batman comics and I have huge respect for him coming up with Damian Wayne and his rebellious traits. But apart from that, the comics are not really that groundbreaking or anything that special. It's better than the usual stale writers sure. I dislike his messy crap that is "Final Crisis".

That being said, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns & Batman: Year One are grossly overrated.

Regarding Grant Morrison, it's all subjective, but i definitely find his books to be "special". That's one of the first adjective's that come to mind, really. But I can certainly understand not everyone would feel the same.

In regards to DKR and Year One being overrated, I agree in a sense. I find that most things that hit mass popularity tend to raise expectations to a level that typically can't be matched. So while they are probably "overrated", I would still say they are some ultra fine examples of the medium.

Oh, and ...turtles.

Andrew NDB
09-11-2017, 10:12 AM
In regards to DKR and Year One being overrated

They're only overrated in the sense that it's been over 20 years since both came out and there haven't really been (allowed to be?) any Batman stories that people are talking about in equivalent terms since. Beating the TDKR and Year One drum was cool for the first 10 years.

By now we should've had like 6 or 7 TDKRs or Year Ones by now, just as memorable. In 20 years is anyone going to still be talking about "Court of Owls" or whatever?

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-11-2017, 10:21 AM
The one thing I do NOT want to happen is see the turtles turned over to Frank Miller as a filmmaker for the '300/sin city/ the spirit' treatment. The Frank Miller of today is not the Frank Miller of old.

I want to see the turtles turned over to one of the great Wuxia movie directors- Tsui Harak, Ang Lee, or Stephen Chow- no western director could do the TMNT as a martial arts film like they could. And that's what I hope to see with the turtles; not 80's American gritty noir rubbish, but a dark Hong Kong martial arts tale of the futility of revenge.

Andrew NDB
09-11-2017, 10:37 AM
The Frank Miller of today is not the Frank Miller of old.

No, he's not. Though he's not as bad as people make it out. TDKR 2 wasn't awful, it was just not remotely as groundbreaking as TDKR 1. Nobody was telling stories like TDKR 1 when it came out, but by the time 2 hit, that's all we had been getting.

I suspect his Xerses book will be interesting, if it ever comes out.

I want to see the turtles turned over to one of the great Wuxia movie directors- Tsui Harak, Ang Lee, or Stephen Chow- no western director could do the TMNT as a martial arts film like they could. And that's what I hope to see with the turtles; not 80's American gritty noir rubbish, but a dark Hong Kong martial arts tale of the futility of revenge.

0 chance of that with the TMNT at Viacom/Nickelodeon. The only and best hope is that there is a director out there that likes and "Gets" the TMNT with some clout and enough hits under their belt that Nick/Viacom will 100% let them make whatever movie they want to make, within reason. Anything less than that, if it's just "Nick/Viacom want to make a new TMNT movie and are looking for a hired gun director to make it," it'll just be some varying degree of terrible again, boardrooms filled with focus groups and bankers throwing darts at flipcharts of dumb Fred Wolfisms that made a lot of suits rich way back in "Turtlemania."

AquaParade
09-11-2017, 11:33 AM
By now we should've had like 6 or 7 TDKRs or Year Ones by now, just as memorable. In 20 years is anyone going to still be talking about "Court of Owls" or whatever?

Yeah, this is an interesting point of discussion. But it's not like Court of Owl's (which is a kick-ass action romp) is really even worthy of DKR/YO's throne. I'm not sure anything has been worthy yet. Don't make me bring up Grant Morrison again though.

Anyways, it's hard to form thoughts on Batman when your filling my head with nightmares of Nick/Viacom boardrooms.

eskater
09-12-2017, 09:18 AM
The one thing I do NOT want to happen is see the turtles turned over to Frank Miller as a filmmaker for the '300/sin city/ the spirit' treatment. The Frank Miller of today is not the Frank Miller of old.

This fad did get pretty old for awhile

pferreira
09-14-2017, 08:51 AM
"I really, really wanted to see Batman & Robin Part 2, from Joel Schumacher. I think that would have been awesome."Not afraid to say Batman Triumphant would be good if it was made. Don't be so quick to judge.

You realize that you can make anything sound cool on paper? If I actually tried I could make Batman & Robin sound like an exciting, powerful film too.No because on paper B & R sounds like more of the same. Batman Triumphant would have been darker but still feel like the Burton style of movies. I'd happily sacrifice the Nolan trilogy for that fifth Burton era movie because it sounded amazing.

Andrew NDB
09-14-2017, 10:02 AM
No because on paper B & R sounds like more of the same. Batman Triumphant would have been darker but still feel like the Burton style of movies. I'd happily sacrifice the Nolan trilogy for that fifth Burton era movie because it sounded amazing.

Batman Forever was a Joel Schumacher Batman movie with maybe 20% Tim Burton influence, who was on board as producer. Some of the same aesthetic from Burton's two movies was retained.

Batman & Robin was a Joel Schumacher Batman movie with 0% Tim Burton influence. In addition to spectacularly self-destructing the Batman movie franchise, for many this is also considered a leading candidate for "Worst Movie Ever Made."

What in the blue hell would make you or anyone else of sound mind think an additional Joel Schumacher Batman movie, again with 0% Burton influence, would be even one iota better than Batman & Robin?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-14-2017, 10:17 AM
Batman Forever was a Joel Schumacher Batman movie with maybe 20% Tim Burton influence, who was on board as producer. Some of the same aesthetic from Burton's two movies was retained.

Batman & Robin was a Joel Schumacher Batman movie with 0% Tim Burton influence. In addition to spectacularly self-destructing the Batman movie franchise, for many this is also considered a leading candidate for "Worst Movie Ever Made."

What in the blue hell would make you or anyone else of sound mind think an additional Joel Schumacher Batman movie, again with 0% Burton influence, would be even one iota better than Batman & Robin?

Well, because Schumacher SAID it would be. He SAID it would dark, gritty, and Burtonesque.

Duh. If you can't trust the Overlord of Rubber Nipples and Neon, who can you trust?