PDA

View Full Version : 2003 TMNT Dreamwave Comics

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
07-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Between June and December 2003, Dreamwave Comics published TMNT.

http://tmntentity.blogspot.se/2010/08/miscellaneous-publishers.html

Based on the 2003-2009 series, the first stories were episode adaptions and then some new stories. I know what was the deal with them, we've discussed it earlier and they weren't very popular.

But what if they'd continued? Would they also have potential of becoming something good if they'd continued in January 2004 and later, and given some more chances to grow?

CyberCubed
07-08-2017, 06:21 PM
The next story was going to be about the Turtlebot robot and unleashing a heard of Mousers on the Turtles lair before it got canceled. So it seemed like it was going to do its own thing and be a separate continuity from the show, but it got canceled before it ever got that far.

Sabacooza
07-08-2017, 06:27 PM
A friend of mine was friends with LeSean Thomas and said he completed the turtle bot issue. LeSean said he would send images of the finished pages but he never did which totally sucked. It would've been nice to see them.

neatoman
07-09-2017, 06:01 AM
The weird thing about this comic is that I know you can get it on iTunes but IDW has yet to print it, even though they have gotten to plenty of TMNT comics already, why is that?

DestronMirage22
07-09-2017, 08:29 AM
The weird thing about this comic is that I know you can get it on iTunes but IDW has yet to print it, even though they have gotten to plenty of TMNT comics already, why is that?

It's also on the IDW TMNT app. Grouped together with the other animated books. They made some changes to them, though. Mainly just adding the IDW logo and new legal information.

As for lack of reprints, who knows? Schedule reasons, legal reasons, the fact that these things were pretty bad and they'd probably lose money on printing these ('cause I doubt that many people would want to buy these things), any number of reasons.

CyberCubed
07-09-2017, 09:11 PM
The actual stories in Dreamwave weren't bad, the first 4 issues aren't much more than recaps of the episodes told from the perspective of a certain character. We really only got two new stories out of this series, issue #5 and then 6-7 which was a 2-parter.

plastroncafe
07-09-2017, 09:25 PM
I really liked this book, and was sad it didn't continue.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-09-2017, 09:29 PM
I liked the issue where Raph was involved with the little girl, her mother, and the psychiatrist. THAT was an interesting setup.

Sounds like the start of a bad joke, too. :trazz:

Weapons@theready
07-10-2017, 12:38 PM
These are my favorite reviews from DrSpengler

Andrew NDB
07-10-2017, 12:39 PM

Probably because it's not really much of anything.

CyberCubed
07-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Why did Dreamwave even get the license to cancel it after only 7 issues? Literally makes no sense, the series didn't even go on a single year before they pulled the plug.

neatoman
07-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Probably because it's not really much of anything.

Then again, seven issues is just enough to make a decently sized trade? Lack of content didn't stop them from reprinting the movie adaptation.

Why did Dreamwave even get the license to cancel it after only 7 issues? Literally makes no sense, the series didn't even go on a single year before they pulled the plug.

My guess would have been that it sold really poorly. But according to Comichron, DreamWave only had 10 titles in December of 2003 and TMNT was number 6, Transformers sold much better but it was pretty much just Transformers. So I don't really get it.

The most logical reason outside of sales could be the terrible practices of Dreamwave as a company. Otherwise, they were just cancelled for being in poor quality, which seems unusual, it's not like they had very high standards to begin with.

MikeandRaph87
07-10-2017, 05:04 PM

The comic company went financialmy bankrupt and closed shop. Had it not the magazine woukd have continued if the company had itself. My question is, why give Dreamwave the rights if it was in such a bad financial state? Mirage should have been able to see it was in bad shape. Too bad it did not just publish the series itself.

pferreira
07-13-2017, 09:46 AM
The comic company went financialmy bankrupt and closed shop. Had it not the magazine woukd have continued if the company had itself. My question is, why give Dreamwave the rights if it was in such a bad financial state? Mirage should have been able to see it was in bad shape. Too bad it did not just publish the series itself.That is puzzling. Perhaps Dreamwave were trying to keep a brave face but were in over their head.

Weapons@theready
07-13-2017, 12:42 PM
The comic company went financialmy bankrupt and closed shop. Had it not the magazine woukd have continued if the company had itself. My question is, why give Dreamwave the rights if it was in such a bad financial state? Mirage should have been able to see it was in bad shape. Too bad it did not just publish the series itself.

Under Turtle Tips
http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2013/09/tmnt-dreamwave-7.html

Contrary to popular belief, the cancellation of Dreamwave’s TMNT comic had NOTHING to do with Dreamwave’s bankruptcy. Dreamwave closed down in 2005, almost two years after this series was canned. The Dreamwave TMNT comic was cancelled because it sucked, end of story.

Coola Yagami
07-15-2017, 09:58 PM
I still think their biggest problem was wasting time with what was essentially filler stories and not showcasing stuff actually related to the series. TMNT in the Hood was fun and all, and it helped flesh out NY as a real city with real people and not just this place overrun with TMNT and Other Weirdness..... but I think they did it too soon. And just when they were finally getting their act together and doing a story with Baxter, Mousers and the Turtlebot.... it got cancelled. Too little too late.

I won't say much about the first issues adapting episodes, Archie did that too. But when it started doing original stuff, they started with adventured featuring Man Ray, Leatherhead, Wingnut, and you still had Shredder and the gang involved. Dreamwave should have skipped the Hood stuff and went straight to the Turtlebot, who incidentally already had an action figure and was featured in the 2K3 videogame. Can you imagine is the Archie comics wasted 3 issues of the Turtles with random kids instead of stuff related to the show you're buying the comic about?

CyberCubed
07-16-2017, 02:09 AM
Dude, Dreamwave still got canceled in only 7 issues. It literally didn't get much of a chance to do anything. Had the series at least gone on a year or two it would be a different story if they were still doing filler stories.

Archie 7 issues in did what...just introduce Man Ray and Leatherhead? Imagine if Archie was canceled in 7 issues?

pferreira
07-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Archie 7 issues in did what...just introduce Man Ray and Leatherhead? Imagine if Archie was canceled in 7 issues?I agree, not enough time to establish new characters or bring back enough existing old ones. Had it been 20 issues we could compare better.

On a sidenote the guy who writes that blog was perhaps being OTT in his hate. It might be a bad comic but there are worse comics out there.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-20-2017, 09:43 AM
I agree, not enough time to establish new characters or bring back enough existing old ones. Had it been 20 issues we could compare better.

On a sidenote the guy who writes that blog was perhaps being OTT in his hate. It might be a bad comic but there are worse comics out there.

But are there worse Ninja Turtles comics out there? When examined as a sum, not on the merits or lack thereof of an individual issue?

Not many.