PDA

View Full Version : Favorite IDW Arc (Issues 1-50)

GoldMutant
07-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Due to assistance from a fellow dromer, I'm starting to read the IDW comics now. I've only gotten through half of the first arc, Change is Constant, but I'm liking what I've read so far. Hopefully, I can post thoughts soon and join everyone in the discussion of the series.

Anyways, as I continue to read, I'm curious on your opinions, everyone. Of the main volumes, which arc so far was your favorite among the first 50? You can specify a specific issue too if you'd like.

The only rules, as based on the poll are this: I'm not including the miniseries, the micros, or the annuals. Just the main 50.

(If there's a thread that did this before, let me know! Also, sorry about the emoji for the 8s, that wasn't meant to happen.)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-10-2017, 10:58 AM
The whole Mutanimals/TMNT throwdown with Bebop and Rocksteady is still my favorite story arc, probably because that's about when I started reading the IDW series. Hard to pick a favorite, though.

Utrommaniac
07-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Utrom Empire, of course! A mini? Yes. Only answered a few questions? Yes.

But it was great to see a picture of who Krang was between his victory on Morbus and the present day. And it's very vastly different from what the current Krang is like. He seems a slightly less malicious, though that's traded off with more suicidal tendencies, and was starting to lose his grip on patience. We went from a Krang who would drop dead if it meant he was protecting his people, to one who refused to die at any cost for them.

There's still a lot more to ask. Like why the Neutrinos were involved in the Rebellion and what King Zenter's role was in that (if he had one at all; and if he did, he has a lot of nerve thinking that Krang wouldn't wreak havok on his planet and whimpering like a dog when he did. Which is why I think he wasn't involved in the slightest with what happened on Neutrino). Where was Krang's mother in the story? Why didn't Dr. Stockman plan for the potential of Krang finding out what he had done to the Utroms to literally save his head?

There's so little said about the Rebellion and the Utrom Empire itself that the former issue could have just been left out entirely, and every shred of Utrominion's destruction could have been placed on Quanin's shoulders alone. Krang doesn't even acknowledge that final war, when by all means, he should.

I'd like to see a kind of follow up, wherein Krang slowly loses stability after losing his home, isolated from his people, and having to be cooped up in a big clunky mobile box for longer periods of time than what should ever been necessary.

But since that's a mini and not on the list...Attack on the Technodrome. It reaches a lot of the peaks that have been building up. Splinter realizing he was a freaking idiot for focusing on Saki, Donatello's arch getting a boost, Krang's defeat - which I can talk about on its own. It feels like a subversion of typical Enemy Defeats. Instead of screaming a bunch of "oh curse you for foiling my plans! I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids!", Krang is humbled and stunned, and weakly fearing that his people have been wiped out. Now...whether that means he thinks they've been doomed to die...or were killed in the instant of his defeat, or he knew Leatherhead would start coming after them because they were vulnerable now...I'm not entirely sure.

Weapons@theready
07-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Vengance, satisfying culmination of the 1st 50 issues along with setting the seeds for the future arcs. Loved the Splinter/Shredder battle and strangely loved Michelangelo leaving the team at the end because to steal a line "life at best is bittersweet"

If we could include miniseries, I would go with Secret History of the Foot

CyberCubed
07-10-2017, 12:43 PM
I guess the last ones leading up to issue 50. Almost all the Shredder plotlines blur together to me, and everything was essentially leading up to the issue 50 climax too. Cityfall and all the other Shredder-centric stories feel all very similar, just at different points of stuff going on (like first we just had Alopex and Karai, then Hun, then Bebop/Rocksteady, then Koya and Bludgeon, then everyone), as Shredder started slowly building his minion army.

Least favorite main series arc was those 4 issues where Raph went to kill Casey's Dad before we knew he'd become Hun, although that arc did also introduce Slash, the art was my least favorite of the series.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Least favorite main series arc was those 4 issues where Raph went to kill Casey's Dad before we knew he'd become Hun, although that arc did also introduce Slash, the art was my least favorite of the series.

Cubed, is it your least favorite because of the story or the art? Because yeah... that art. :tlol:

CyberCubed
07-10-2017, 01:00 PM
Cubed, is it your least favorite because of the story or the art? Because yeah... that art. :tlol:

Kinda both, it was a low-key story at first because we didn't know Casey's Dad would be Hun. It just seemed like we were getting another lecture from Splinter not to kill some drunk middle-age man, so it felt rather forgettable at the time. Of course NOW in retrospect that story is actually significant, especially with Splinter's change in attitude toward killing lately, but at the time we didn't know that.

Also that was extremely early in the series, and IDW was still mostly an unproven series at the time. Most of us were looking forward to the next big arc with Krang...not Raph going after drunk Dad's. :lol:

Donnie
07-10-2017, 01:03 PM
Certainly "Krang War." I loved Ben Bates's art, and the story was superbly written. Major credit to Waltz & Eastman for such a concise, well-rounded script.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Kinda both, it was a low-key story at first because we didn't know Casey's Dad would be Hun. It just seemed like we were getting another lecture from Splinter not to kill some drunk middle-age man, so it felt rather forgettable at the time. Of course NOW in retrospect that story is actually significant, especially with Splinter's change in attitude toward killing lately, but at the time we didn't know that.

Also that was extremely early in the series, and IDW was still mostly an unproven series at the time. Most of us were looking forward to the next big arc with Krang...not Raph going after drunk Dad's. :lol:

I actually loved the idea of Raph going out to off drunk Arnold. That was about the darkest thing IDW had done yet. (Y'know, before they started in with smashing Donatello's shell and decapitating Oroku Saki). :tlol:

Sophie Campbell
07-10-2017, 02:32 PM
My favorite is Sins of the Fathers, but yes I voted for my own arc. :tcool:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-10-2017, 02:35 PM

Because "of course you did" and "why wouldn't you?" :tlol:

MikeandRaph87
07-10-2017, 03:00 PM
I break down #13-#16 as 15 and 16 was the two part " Blood Brothers". I liked the #15-#20 run the most with the two part " Blood Brothers" lead in to " Krang War in #17 and the arc itself the most. " Attack on Technodrome" would be my second favorite stretch. A lot of action, characterization, and fun.

spookycookies
07-10-2017, 03:38 PM
Secret History of the Foot Clan is my favorite, it combines a great present day chase story between the Turtles and the Foot with a really engrossing backstory to Shredder in ancient Japan.

MsMarvelDuckie
07-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Change Is Constant. I started at the beginning and was hooked from the starting line. I loved the new origin, and it introduced Hob who is by far my fave new character. It gave Raph some great characterization, and introduced real tension between Leo and Donnie for perhaps the first time ever.

CyberCubed
07-10-2017, 04:34 PM
The first year had some growing pains, I remember it took awhile for the Turtles to actually settle into their regular IDW personalities. Remember when Don and Leo would constantly argue when the series first started, and now they never do that anymore?

Utrommaniac
07-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Wasn't Northampton was your arch??? Sins of the father was Andy Kuhn.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-10-2017, 06:19 PM
The first year had some growing pains, I remember it took awhile for the Turtles to actually settle into their regular IDW personalities. Remember when Don and Leo would constantly argue when the series first started, and now they never do that anymore?

The argument kept going off and on up through their disagreement on which enemy to focus on, Saki or Krang (#30's-44).

Characters grow; we haven't really seen Raph "angry" since City Fall, excepting of course when Donatello was gutted by Bebop and Rocksteady.

Utrommaniac
07-10-2017, 06:24 PM
What about the TCRI Battle when he clocked Zodi for her remarks about Donatello getting killed in the particular situation they were in?

Sophie Campbell
07-10-2017, 06:56 PM
Wasn't Northampton was your arch??? Sins of the father was Andy Kuhn.

I should've said I voted for Northampton instead of my actual favorite, Sins of the Fathers! That's what I meant. :)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-10-2017, 07:12 PM
What about the TCRI Battle when he clocked Zodi for her remarks about Donatello getting killed in the particular situation they were in?

Oh right, I forgot about that!

Utrommaniac
07-10-2017, 07:17 PM
I should've said I voted for Northampton instead of my actual favorite, Sins of the Fathers! That's what I meant. :)

Ahhh, okay. That makes more sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Powder
07-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Northampton, because dope art, downtime, & Leo-centric stuff.

TMNTChris1980
07-10-2017, 08:22 PM
No Secret History of the Foot Clan!?!

Utrommaniac
07-10-2017, 08:24 PM
Secret History was a mini, so I guess it's not being counted toward the list.

Neither was Utrom Empire, which was my first choice.

GoldMutant
07-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Secret History was a mini, so I guess it's not being counted toward the list.

Neither was Utrom Empire, which was my first choice.

Utrommaniac is correct.

Both Utrom Empire and SHOTFC are miniseries, so they're not a part of the poll. This only goes for the 11 main series arcs.

I may do another poll or two eventually as I read more: one on the miniseries and one on the micros. Depends on if I can get caught up.

CyberCubed
07-10-2017, 09:41 PM
I had actually forgotten how long Alopex remained a villain until she joined the Turtles, literally all the way till the Northampton arc. It's really weird reading the beginning of the book and seeing Alopex drawn like a ferocious beast looking to tear the Turtles hearts out of their bodies compared to the cute cuddly fox she's drawn like in the recent issues.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-10-2017, 09:52 PM
I had actually forgotten how long Alopex remained a villain until she joined the Turtles, literally all the way till the Northampton arc. It's really weird reading the beginning of the book and seeing Alopex drawn like a ferocious beast looking to tear the Turtles hearts out of their bodies compared to the cute cuddly fox she's drawn like in the recent issues.

I haven't liked Alopex since the end of City Fall. All cutesy and cuddly and making goo-goo eyes at Raphael. :trolleye: Although I also like her whenever Kitsune was using her... all in her head...

Nice Alopex sucks. :tlol:

Redeemer
07-10-2017, 11:11 PM

Thats what I am saying :-?

IMO the best arc of this entire series is Secret History of the Foot Clan!!!!

City Fall didn't live up to my expectations.
Dimension X storyline was a lot better then what I expected.
Sins of our Father was great as well.
Its pretty hard to choose from this list especially sense SHTFC isn't on here :ohwell:

GoldMutant
07-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Thats what I am saying :-?

IMO the best arc of this entire series is Secret History of the Foot Clan!!

As I mentioned yesterday, I didn't include any stories that are not part of the 50 issues, which includes micro comics and miniseries.

I'm not denying the impact of Secret History, but as it's a miniseries (despite giving the Foot's origins here), I didn't include it in the poll. If I make another thread involving the miniseries soon, it'll be on there.

AquaParade
07-11-2017, 12:19 PM

Yeah, I really liked that dynamic between Don and Leo. It felt fresh and it felt justified in the story.
That ideological battle of faith/magic vs science was really intruiging until it became essentially one-sided :ohwell:
Honestly, that was a theme I expected to carry the book, which I would have loved. Is it possible the turtles really resurrected brothers? What really binds these characters together? Is it faith? Is it blood?
We quickly learned that Donatello was flat-out wrong and that was the end of any intruige there.

I'd say the bright spot of the book for me was somewhere between City Fall and Issue 50. Somewhere in the #30's-40's is where I felt the pacing was very tight and Mateus was killing it.

snake
07-11-2017, 01:34 PM
City Fall is when everything clicked for me. The minis are great too.

Donnie
07-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I really liked that dynamic between Don and Leo. It felt fresh and it felt justified in the story.
That ideological battle of faith/magic vs science was really intruiging until it became essentially one-sided :ohwell:
Honestly, that was a theme I expected to carry the book, which I would have loved. Is it possible the turtles really resurrected brothers? What really binds these characters together? Is it faith? Is it blood?
We quickly learned that Donatello was flat-out wrong and that was the end of any intruige there.

I see what you're saying for sure, it was an interesting dynamic between Donatello & Leonardo. Probably too often they are seen getting along rather than at each other's throats at all. But still, I found the constant bickering between them grating after awhile. I feel like Don sounded like a super know-it-all, aggressive for no reason, person I wouldn't want to converse with. I was totally on Leonardo's side.

neatoman
07-11-2017, 05:50 PM
I've really been trying but it's too hard, so I'll pick Vengeance simply because it wrapped up most plot threads. Sorry if that's a boring answer...

Utrommaniac
07-11-2017, 05:54 PM
I'd say the arguing came to its end around the time of the Technodrome battle, and most certainly stopped after Donatello's near-death. Leo learned that Don's judgement in targeting Krang before Shredder was the right course of action, and respect came to its head when Don practically knew he might be killed, and thus was making a sacrifice to make sure everything went right.

AquaParade
07-11-2017, 06:15 PM
Sometimes when a story starts leading you somewhere, it can be easy to form theories and then expectations as to where the plot threads should go. You start to expect your own vision of the franchise to come to fruition, and when it doesn't you end up feeling disappointed.

I can definitely be a victim of this.

Chris
07-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Krang War for me. Fun story, great pacing and I just loved Ben Bates' art on this arc. Would love to see him do another arc some time soon.

Zage
07-11-2017, 11:56 PM
:o What? You mean that I have to choose? B-b-but, they're ALL great. :(

mrmaczaps
07-12-2017, 12:19 AM
I went with the first arc because it seems to be the one that mostly started & ended. Origin, Raph missing and then found... the other arcs are good but modern storytelling is a bit watered down... they're good arcs but theres too much soft-ending that just leads to the next arc... like 90s writing vs any book today... even the bad stories had a more concret ending with a subplot then being the next arc or helping to move into the next arc of a larger story.

myconius
07-12-2017, 07:38 AM
just my opinion, but i feel the micro-series and mini-series really should be included as well.

sure they aren't actually part of the main run, but all of the stories count towards the entire continuity.

CyberCubed
07-12-2017, 01:52 PM
Is Secret History of the Foot Clan the most universally praised of all the mini's/specials? I've liked most of the other micros, but this one always seems to get the most praise out of all of them.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Is Secret History of the Foot Clan the most universally praised of all the mini's/specials? I've liked most of the other micros, but this one always seems to get the most praise out of all of them.

It's because it was the first story arc (besides the first five issues in the beginning) to step out of the Fred Wolf light and do something astonishingly original.

Weapons@theready
07-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Secret History would also be such a good plot to follow for a TMNT movie

MikeandRaph87
07-12-2017, 02:59 PM
It's because it was the first story arc (besides the first five issues in the beginning) to step out of the Fred Wolf light and do something astonishingly original.

Is that why I could not find myself interested at all in that? Casey and April was boring. Secret History of The Foot Clan was not my thing with the Ancient Japanese bloodshed and reincarnation As one's own grandchild not making any sense.

snake
07-13-2017, 04:37 PM

It is, atleast from what I've seen. It's great and all, but I liked the Villain Micros better as a whole.

myconius
07-14-2017, 03:43 PM
'Secret History of the Foot Clan' changed the way i viewed this comic series.

but let's also not forget 'Turtles in Time'.
that mini-series was also very awesome for a good variety of reasons! :tsmile:

i just think when picking a favorite from the IDW Tmnt time-line, the choices should really include all within the continuity.