PDA

View Full Version : Michaelangelo more maturity

ninja-zero
07-15-2017, 04:17 PM
I'm so annoyed with Mikey's incarnations in 2003 and 2012. I just wish he can start take things seriously in the next incarnations.

What do you all think?

CyberCubed
07-15-2017, 04:18 PM
In kids shows there will always be one designated comic relief or silly character, so Michelangelo fits the bill as he's used to appeal to young kids.

Guile
07-15-2017, 04:20 PM
He could be a bit more serious at times, but all-around, he is good for comedic relief. In the Nick series he can be funny.

As an example, he should have been more serious after Splinter died in the Nick show, before they went to space with Fugitoid.

Donnie
07-15-2017, 05:04 PM
In the comics I always find myself favoring Michelangelo, because he is not written as pure comic-relief. He has just as much depth as the other Turtles, his sensitivity being the highlight of his personality (at least to me).

Judging from what I've seen, the 2003 Michelangelo had more serious-minded moments than the 2012 Michelangelo. But, this is just from memory. I haven't watched either series in a long time.

IndigoErth
07-15-2017, 05:30 PM
I like 2003 Mikey pretty well. While he has his annoying moments and is a goof ball (and a goof off) he can still be serious when he really needs to.

Granted... in the middle of a fight 2012 Mikey can as well, but outside of that the creators of the series seem to have confused the concept of being funny and light hearted with being idiotic. It's like he's progressively gotten dumber through incarnations... (It's like maybe there really is a 4th-wall-breaking secret drug habit. :roll:)

ninja-zero
07-15-2017, 05:32 PM
I wish Mikey wasn't an idiot anymore and needs to start taking things seriously. I wouldn't want something like 2012 Mikey on my team. He'll just screw things up.

IndigoErth
07-15-2017, 05:55 PM
And even if he didn't, you'd probably still feel like you HAVE to keep an eye on him, if only to make sure he is still with the group and okay. That would be pretty annoying and impact your own ability to focus fully on the task at hand.

It's like he's the kid brother who actually just wasn't ready to be out with the big boys yet, but dad forced you to take him along just so he could get some peace at home for a while.

Powder
07-15-2017, 06:12 PM
Vol. 3 (Image) Mike is best Mike.

Donnie
07-15-2017, 06:31 PM
It's like he's the kid brother who actually just wasn't ready to be out with the big boys yet, but dad forced you to take him along just so he could get some peace at home for a while.

This is true, and what's sad about that is Michelangelo has the capability to be arguably the best warrior. He just needs to focus. In some incarnations he is depicted as the fastest Turtle as well.

Splinter the boss
07-15-2017, 07:08 PM
I like Mikey the way he is. We already have a hothead, a smart guy, a leader, why not have the funny guy? As long as they don't go overboard of course, otherwise it becomes irritating.

Ulisa
07-15-2017, 08:17 PM
Mike is my favorite but the cartoons tend to reduce him to his stereotype of "fun turtle." I personally love to see points where his empathy and sensitivity and creativity are called into focus but those tend to get glossed over in the name of comic relief. It's almost like the writers are afraid to have Mike be serious which is a shame. I always felt that Mike is the "glue" of the team, the heart, much more than the others but that's rarely touched upon.

Now, that's not to say the movies/cartoons have t acknowledged some of these traits because they have. There are SOME but not nearly as many as I'd like there to be. NICK is especially bad about this though, again, he has his moments. I'd like to see more of that sensitive, empathic Mike in the future.

Coola Yagami
07-15-2017, 08:48 PM
The problem is, noone seems to know how to do 'funny' anymore unless it's 'it's funny cause he's dumb'. Raph was the funnyman of the OT, but he was smartass sarcastic funny, not dumbass funny. Maybe a future incarnation can make Mikey the smartass.

IndigoErth
07-15-2017, 09:33 PM
Maybe a future incarnation can make Mikey the smartass.
Wouldn't mind seeing that actually. Especially how he'd no doubt get under Raph's skin, and on purpose. :tlol:

snake
07-15-2017, 09:57 PM
I'd consider 2k3 Mikey a smartass, as well as a dumbass.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
07-16-2017, 05:42 AM
He's serious when his friends are in danger.

ssjup81
07-16-2017, 05:50 AM
I don't mind a goofy Mikey, as long as he's not like season 1 Nick Mikey who didn't care that he was stupid. Season 2 and up, he seemed to hate when people viewed him as dumb. That aside, Mikey seems to get serious when the situation calls for it. I'm cool with that.

DisKosh
07-16-2017, 02:35 PM
He's one of my favourite characters.

The reasons I like him are because he can be funny, he's sweet, compassionate, sensitive and childlike.

However, many writers mistake these traits for idiocy and end up writing him as a moron which is such a pity.

What bugs me in the current series is that he's saved the world at least twice by himself and it's not really acknowledged. The first episode with Leatherhead shows that they can do a fantastic job at writing him but it's not consistent.

07-16-2017, 03:47 PM
He's one of my favourite characters.

The reasons I like him are because he can be funny, he's sweet, compassionate, sensitive and childlike.

However, many writers mistake these traits for idiocy and end up writing him as a moron which is such a pity.

What bugs me in the current series is that he's saved the world at least twice by himself and it's not really acknowledged. The first episode with Leatherhead shows that they can do a fantastic job at writing him but it's not consistent.

I think it's also stupid having him save the world, know all of Dimension X or even winning Battle Nexus (actually, just because the turtles are great at kicking butt, I don't think anyone of them should be the greatest warriors on Earth, in the Universe, Multiverse or whatever).

I liked in Archie's "The Keeper" when Michaelangelo first thought the extraterrestrials were bad guys and he continued fighting despite thinking his friends had all been killed while inside the spacecraft.

http://tmntentity.blogspot.se/2009/01/tmnt-adventures-26.html

***First of Two Latin Kings***
07-16-2017, 09:38 PM

This pretty much bleeds into Odyssey.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-17-2017, 07:06 AM

Powder beat me to it.

Volume 4 (Mirage) Mike a close second.

***First of Two Latin Kings***
07-17-2017, 09:06 AM
I'd consider 2k3 Mikey a smartass, as well as a dumbass.

2003 Mikey is horrible.

CyberCubed
07-18-2017, 12:01 PM
2003 Mikey is horrible.

He was fine up until the end of Season 3, although winning the Battle Nexus at the end of Season 2 started his decline.

LeotheLateBloomer
07-18-2017, 01:00 PM
I like 2003 Mikey pretty well. While he has his annoying moments and is a goof ball (and a goof off) he can still be serious when he really needs to.

Granted... in the middle of a fight 2012 Mikey can as well, but outside of that the creators of the series seem to have confused the concept of being funny and light hearted with being idiotic. It's like he's progressively gotten dumber through incarnations... (It's like maybe there really is a 4th-wall-breaking secret drug habit. :roll:)

Pretty much this!

2012 Mike was the first time I've ever been generally annoyed with Mike's portrayal. PD Mike also bothers me!

GoldMutant
07-18-2017, 11:21 PM
I assume you're hoping for a more mature Michelangelo for television?

If so, I highly agree with you. I know Mikey has serious potential to still be a wisecracker, but also more level headed. I'd really like a future incarnation to use an artistic and emotional Mikey. Combine his drawing/writing abilities from the Image Comics and the benevolence of IDW with some jokes and love for his family.

That's something I hope for in a future cartoon.

dragonside
07-19-2017, 07:23 PM
I liked the hardcore mikey in 2003 same as it never was.
And a wise mikey from 2012.

So yeah, he's stupid sometimes, but i think thats the charm of his character.

FW one is actually pretty chill. Thought he was very likable.

RaphaelinSTL
07-19-2017, 09:24 PM
The problem is, noone seems to know how to do 'funny' anymore unless it's 'it's funny cause he's dumb'. Raph was the funnyman of the OT, but he was smartass sarcastic funny, not dumbass funny. Maybe a future incarnation can make Mikey the smartass.

This is how they should be looking to write Michelangelo for future movies.

Combine the sarcasm of Raphael and general observation humor that Mikey is known for and you'd have a really great character.

pferreira
07-20-2017, 09:17 AM
The problem is, noone seems to know how to do 'funny' anymore unless it's 'it's funny cause he's dumb'. Raph was the funnyman of the OT, but he was smartass sarcastic funny, not dumbass funny. Maybe a future incarnation can make Mikey the smartass.Mikey in the FW series was laidback while every TV version after him he's hyperactive. Very strange.

2003 Mikey is horrible.In small doses he's okay. When he tries to be funny he's not. :D

DisKosh
07-21-2017, 03:01 PM
The idea of smartass Mikey appeals to me but I also hope they can keep some of his childlike (note I said childlike, not childish) qualities. I like him being a bit naive and seeing good in people, it's partly what makes his character so endearing.

BigMike322
07-25-2017, 05:58 PM
I think they made him too dumb in the nick cartoon. I love Mickey and he's a goofball, but he doesn't have to be stupid.

Powder
07-25-2017, 05:59 PM
I love Mickey

You're on the wrong forum, fam.

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/navigation_mickeymouseclubhouse_disneyjunior_78441 34d.png

FredWolfLeonardo
07-25-2017, 06:02 PM
You're on the wrong forum, fam.

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/navigation_mickeymouseclubhouse_disneyjunior_78441 34d.png

I laughed way too hard at that :lol:

TurtleWA
07-25-2017, 06:06 PM
Not the first time it has happened around this place. I like to think it's a spelling mistake and that people don't really think Mikey is called Mickey. Same with Ralph and Raph. :trolleye:

IndigoErth
07-25-2017, 06:42 PM
Mickey and Ralph, the unknown 5th and 6th brothers they don't speak of...

Now if only Donnie had ended up Berni...lol

ninja-zero
07-25-2017, 07:17 PM
Is there a way to make a better Mikey that doesn't get on our nerves and starts being serious about things?

Powder
07-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Is there a way to make a better Mikey that doesn't get on our nerves and starts being serious about things?

All they've gotta do is use Mirage/Image (arguably IDW too, I guess) as reference material.

snake
07-25-2017, 07:41 PM
Mickey, Ralph, Leon, and Dan.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-25-2017, 08:07 PM
I find it ironic how out of all the animated tv show Michealangaos, the least annoying and dumb is FW Michealangalo from the most lighthearted show while the two darker shows have a Michealangalos that acts either more annoying or more childish.

It makes me curious how Michelangalo will be in the 2018 show, whether that show being lighthearted is a good or bad thing for our favourite turtle.

IndigoErth
07-25-2017, 08:32 PM
With the way his mental state is degrading through each series (well, cartoons at least), give it a couple more and we'll just have a Mikey who sits and stares at the wall. :ohwell:

Mickey, Ralph, Leon, and Dan.
Somewhere there's gotta be bootlegs with all these exact names on the packaging. lol

pferreira
07-27-2017, 03:25 PM
I find it ironic how out of all the animated tv show Michealangaos, the least annoying and dumb is FW Michealangalo from the most lighthearted show while the two darker shows have a Michealangalos that acts either more annoying or more childish.My understanding of this is that having a more clownish Mikey in the later cartoons is meant to compensate for the lack of humour since they're supposed to be more serious shows. The FW cartoon is already lighthearted so they don't need to try, the 2003 cartoon for instance piles on the Mikey silliness for some humour but they end up overcompensating out of desperation which is why he is the way he is in later incarnations of TMNT.

Splinter the boss
07-28-2017, 06:30 AM
give it a couple more and we'll just have a Mikey who sits and stares at the wall. :ohwell:

Too funny, can't stop smiling

Ulisa
07-28-2017, 10:27 AM
I tend to agree that the cartoons especially seem to want to lump all their comic relief into one character which is honestly a practice I have never understood. You can have characters with an overall serious demeanor who still have their own brand of humor. It's more fun when you have people working off one another that have different styles of humor--maybe they get one another's humor, maybe they don't but in general, variety is your friend!

Personally, if humor is spread out, I think it makes for more well rounded, developed and interesting protagonists. Putting it all on one characters makes character development and growth difficult for the "scapegoat" and truthfully, that's what I think ended up happening in the later seasons of the 4kids show.

07-28-2017, 12:32 PM
I tend to agree that the cartoons especially seem to want to lump all their comic relief into one character which is honestly a practice I have never understood!

It's probably easier to market them to children that way.

Ulisa
07-28-2017, 12:48 PM
It might be easier but I always felt that companies don't give children nearly enough credit. If you make your characters interesting, people will be engaged. I remember even as a little kid getting frustrated when a characters was known only by one trait. "The Leader" "The Inventor" etc and my favorite episodes were always when that trend was broken. So while, yeah, I understand it, I don't really support it.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-28-2017, 01:26 PM
I tend to agree that the cartoons especially seem to want to lump all their comic relief into one character which is honestly a practice I have never understood. You can have characters with an overall serious demeanor who still have their own brand of humor. It's more fun when you have people working off one another that have different styles of humor--maybe they get one another's humor, maybe they don't but in general, variety is your friend!

Personally, if humor is spread out, I think it makes for more well rounded, developed and interesting protagonists. Putting it all on one characters makes character development and growth difficult for the "scapegoat" and truthfully, that's what I think ended up happening in the later seasons of the 4kids show.

I agree with this strongly. Giving all turtles a sense of humour works very well in the 1990 movie as Michealangalo is not annoying in that despite the movie being darker which would otherwise result in all the comic relief being forced into one character.

07-30-2017, 11:32 AM
I find it ironic how out of all the animated tv show Michealangaos, the least annoying and dumb is FW Michealangalo from the most lighthearted show

He was the best, but the question is if he would work in darker series.

pferreira
08-03-2017, 09:46 AM

Personally, if humor is spread out, I think it makes for more well rounded, developed and interesting protagonists. Putting it all on one characters makes character development and growth difficult for the "scapegoat" and truthfully, that's what I think ended up happening in the later seasons of the 4kids show.The problem with modern TV and film is that there's an imbalance in how characters are written. One character is either written to be totally serious, only capable of 'witty', edgy sarcasm while another character is the comic relief. It's just bad writing although modern day audiences don't seem to mind. It just doesn't feel real or relatable to me. Ironically the the 80s TMNT series which you could argue was the most absurd iteration had the best balanced written characters.