PDA

View Full Version : Laird now "hopes to finish" volume 4

Andrew NDB
07-17-2017, 11:36 AM
"I hope to someday return to finish up the story lines in Volume 4, but when that will be, I have no idea. I can only hope that when I get around to it, Jim Lawson will still be willing to draw it!"

http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2017/04/ask-pl-15.html#comment-form

From a response on July 9th.

It seems like a minor thing, but saying "I hope to someday return to finish up" volume 4 is different than him saying, "Maybe I'll do it, but I doubt I will," as he's been saying for a few years. Maybe a small distinction, but it seems important.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-17-2017, 11:46 AM
"I hope to someday return to finish up the story lines in Volume 4, but when that will be, I have no idea. I can only hope that when I get around to it, Jim Lawson will still be willing to draw it!"

It seems like a minor thing, but saying "I hope to someday return to finish up" volume 4 is different than him saying, "Maybe I'll do it, but I doubt I will," as he's been saying for a few years. Maybe a small distinction, but it seems important.

Such a minor comment, and yet, it fills me with hope!!!

And I thought this was going to be a trolling post from you, Andrew. :tlol:

Andrew NDB
07-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Also, his saying "when that will be" and not "if that will be." Overall this is much more positive about Vol. 4 than anything I've seen him post in years.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Also, his saying "when that will be" and not "if that will be." Overall this is much more positive about Vol. 4 than anything I've seen him post in years.

Absolutely agreed.

Sorta sounds like maybe he had a late-night inspiration and thought, "Yeah, I should do that in a few years."

I'm quite excited!

Vegita-San
07-17-2017, 12:11 PM
it would be nice. he can still do tmnt after a nice long break and do it his way. especially if the recent stuff isn't too his liking.

i didn't mind volume 4 all that much from what i can remember.

AquaParade
07-17-2017, 12:11 PM
Thanks for sharing, Andrew. Pretty exciting.

I'm really not sure what the ending could possibly due to satisfy me, other than just be heartfelt and remain true to the characters. Maybe a Peter/Kevin eastman pin-up in the back?

Looking forward to further news.

neatoman
07-17-2017, 12:14 PM
Does he have an outline?
How many issues would it take to finish the story at a minimum?

If takes like one or two issues to wrap things up, I don't see why he couldn't finish it. If it takes more than that, who knows?

Andrew NDB
07-17-2017, 12:24 PM
Does he have an outline?

Just going off of previous Q&As over the years, it sounds like only in his head. But yeah.

oldmanwinters
07-17-2017, 01:10 PM
Also posted on July 9:
http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2017/04/ask-pl-15.html?showComment=1495673554603#c780611460262104 7037

1.Can you make another volume 4 issue?
1.) I have the legal right to, but at the moment I am not inspired to do so.

2. Where can I find issues to volume 4 I am missing? Possible reprints? Can I read them online?
2.) I'm not sure. You might want to direct this question to Dan Berger at the miragelicensing.com web page.

3. Do you still draw?
3.) Not really. -- PL

CyberCubed
07-17-2017, 01:17 PM
lol, I was only 15 years old when Volume 4 started.

mrmaczaps
07-17-2017, 02:16 PM
Does he have an outline?
How many issues would it take to finish the story at a minimum?

If takes like one or two issues to wrap things up, I don't see why he couldn't finish it. If it takes more than that, who knows?

He has a rough outline in his head of where he wants to go and if I recall correctly, one of the times at shellback he said something about needing about 5 or 6 issues to wrap things up... He could probably condense things to a 5 issue run to finish but it would be rushed...

I'd love to see an conclusion but it won't be the same not having Shellback and making an event out of its release... Although Steve could always rent a hall or something or team up with Jetpack for the release.

Cryomancer
07-17-2017, 02:20 PM
I think to do it like, well, it would take a lot more than 5 or 6. Seems like a whole lot of dangling unfinished things, especially if he actually intends to flesh out the time between where it stopped and the future stories, but I suppose that's unlikely.

But hell yea that he's thinking about it at all.

neatoman
07-17-2017, 02:32 PM
He has a rough outline in his head of where he wants to go and if I recall correctly, one of the times at shellback he said something about needing about 5 or 6 issues to wrap things up... He could probably condense things to a 5 issue run to finish but it would be rushed...

I'd love to see an conclusion but it won't be the same not having Shellback and making an event out of its release... Although Steve could always rent a hall or something or team up with Jetpack for the release.

Was this before or after he uploaded the latest two issues online? Because if so, it's closer to 3 issues, isn't it?

***First of Two Latin Kings***
07-17-2017, 02:48 PM
It has been so long now that most of us should have a hypothetical in our heads as to how it would turn out. Personally, I got tired of waiting awhile ago. Odyssey was enough of a conclusion for me.

AquaParade
07-17-2017, 02:59 PM
He has a fascinating way of going about the conclusion. It feels like this perpetual tease of "Well I coullllllld finish it, I miiiiight finish it.....eh, I don't know if I actually want to. Maybe".
That's considering the fact that he could easily dish out an outline to Lawson, which would please both the fans, and Lawson I presume, while taking minimal effort from him, with the added benefit that people would finally stop asking him about Volume 4 and possibly direct their next "Ask P.L." questions towards his neglected Segway adventures.

In reality, it's probably just him being very careful with his choices, weighing his options, and not wanting to rush into anything that has us pestering him for answers on the daily. Maybe he just really wants to nail those last lines of dialogue and not rush himself. But it feels like a tease.

mrmaczaps
07-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Was this before or after he uploaded the latest two issues online? Because if so, it's closer to 3 issues, isn't it?

It was after 31 was done but before it was printed... So probably still 5 to 6 issues...

A neat way to end things would be a Mirage/IDW crossover... Lol.

Raph has been turned back to normal, Donnie is small sized still & Mikey is in space... Do two issues to resize Don, two for Mikey to come home, one for Leo to come back to Earth get his bros and go back to the Arena where we meet the IDW Turtles... Do it as implied IDW Turtles so that Laird doesn't have to write them or even draw them and have a Mirage/IDW six part mini... Vol 4 gets a torch passed moment while wrapping most threads and we can just know more happens before THE FUTURE Tales v2 stories happen... Issue one of the mini shows the tale start from IDWs POV, have Lawson write & draw the Mirage boys and Ben Bishop draw the IDW guys... Tell a cool Crisis of Infinite Turtles tale and wrap it up. Maybe Mirage Raph can lose an eye even...

Andrew NDB
07-17-2017, 03:03 PM

What a dreadful idea.

AquaParade
07-17-2017, 03:07 PM
It's sort of hard to imagine a proper ending for Mirage. Part of the appeal for me is the fact that there are so many mysteries and loose ends. Why was Donatello separated from his brothers in "Old Times", Did Mikey ever return from space?

On some level, I enjoy the mystery. I'm sure it's possible to retain what I find special and also provide a fitting "goodbye" from Mirage TMNT though.

Just don't make it so the whole story was simply a dream from the boy who lost the turtles down the sewer drain so many years ago.

mrmaczaps
07-17-2017, 03:14 PM
What a dreadful idea.

You think anything thats not Mirage based is terrible... I really do too, but it would be a nice sendoff... We're old and we have had our time... lol

mrmaczaps
07-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Just don't make it so the whole story was simply a dream from the boy who lost the turtles down the sewer drain so many years ago.

Now that would be a horrible idea... lol.

dawwe
07-17-2017, 03:21 PM
Sounds like a positive thing, but we will see what happens. One can always hope that we get more Laird TMNT.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-17-2017, 03:23 PM
It was after 31 was done but before it was printed... So probably still 5 to 6 issues...

Raph has been turned back to normal, Donnie is small sized still & Mikey is in space... Do two issues to resize Don, two for Mikey to come home, one for Leo to come back to Earth get his bros and go back to the Arena where we meet the IDW Turtles... Do it as implied IDW Turtles so that Laird doesn't have to write them or even draw them and have a Mirage/IDW six part mini... Vol 4 gets a torch passed moment while wrapping most threads and we can just know more happens before THE FUTURE Tales v2 stories happen... Issue one of the mini shows the tale start from IDWs POV, have Lawson write & draw the Mirage boys and Ben Bishop draw the IDW guys... Tell a cool Crisis of Infinite Turtles tale and wrap it up. Maybe Mirage Raph can lose an eye even...

I like the idea, but you, I, and everybody else all know that Pete would never do it.

Cryomancer
07-17-2017, 03:24 PM
"Ending" a branch of TMNT via crossover has already been done. Let's not make it a regular thing please.

Andrew NDB
07-17-2017, 04:00 PM
Some kind of meta thing would be neat, if planned out (and obviously coordinated every step of the way with Laird). Here'd be my pitch:

(and this ONLY WORKS if Laird is ready on the starting line)

IDW TMNT has some great big event. Probably a mini-series, or a 4 issue arc in the core title. Call it something, call it "BREAKTHROUGH." Basically, something is wonky with the IDW universe... like things are "glitching." They ask Renet, who tells them that there is something wrong with the Prime dimension, and it's rubbing off on all other splinter realities including their own. They travel to the Prime dimension (and dammit, don't make it black and white... Mirage TMNT is not inherently black and white, that's dumb) and find all of the Mirage Turtles are frozen in place exactly where they were at the end of TMNT Vol. 4, #32. Frozen, like frozen. Upon further investigation, they find, like, extra-dimensional parasites from some other realm (maybe the IDW version of Dimension X, since Prime doesn't have one... or maybe it's some pre-existing IDW villain) leeching off of the brains of everyone who is frozen in place. Eventually they find the villain responsible, dispense with them (I'd say kill them, but this is IDW TMNT so there will be none of that), time unfreezes for the Mirage TMNT, they shake hands with the IDW TMNT, and the Mirage TMNT offer the IDW TMNT beers to strange looks. IDW TMNT goes home, and Mirage TMNT give them thanks and props.

*end of event*

AND THEN...

The next month, Peter drops TMNT Vol. 4, #33, and releases 34, 35, 36, 37 on a bi-monthly schedule.

I think it'd be a neat little thing. Like the IDW TMNT smacked the gears and got them going again, to everyone's benefit.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-17-2017, 04:05 PM
Some kind of meta thing would be neat, if planned out (and obviously coordinated every step of the way with Laird). Here'd be my pitch:

(and this ONLY WORKS if Laird is ready on the starting line)

IDW TMNT has some great big event. Probably a mini-series, or a 4 issue arc in the core title. Call it something, call it "BREAKTHROUGH." Basically, something is wonky with the IDW universe... like things are "glitching." They ask Renet, who tells them that there is something wrong with the Prime dimension, and it's rubbing off on all other splinter realities including their own. They travel to the Prime dimension (and dammit, don't make it black and white... Mirage TMNT is not inherently black and white, that's dumb) and find all of the Mirage Turtles are frozen in place exactly where they were at the end of TMNT Vol. 4, #32. Frozen, like frozen. Upon further investigation, they find, like, extra-dimensional parasites from some other realm (maybe the IDW version of Dimension X, since Prime doesn't have one... or maybe it's some pre-existing IDW villain) leeching off of the brains of everyone who is frozen in place. Eventually they find the villain responsible, dispense with them (I'd say kill them, but this is IDW TMNT so there will be none of that), time unfreezes for the Mirage TMNT, they shake hands with the IDW TMNT, and the Mirage TMNT offer the IDW TMNT beers to strange looks. IDW TMNT goes home, and Mirage TMNT give them thanks and props.

*end of event*

AND THEN...

The next month, Peter drops TMNT Vol. 4, #33, and releases 34, 35, 36, 37 on a bi-monthly schedule.

I think it'd be a neat little thing. Like the IDW TMNT smacked the gears and got them going again, to everyone's benefit.

:tlol: Meta, but cool.

How would you feel about Savanti Romero being the villain of that?

Cryomancer
07-17-2017, 04:32 PM
hahaha, that would make it kind of worth it

Andrew NDB
07-17-2017, 04:37 PM
How would you feel about Savanti Romero being the villain of that?

Maybe. But I'd make it the IDW Savanti Romero.

ToTheNines
07-17-2017, 04:41 PM
Maybe. But I'd make it the IDW Savanti Romero.

I don't believe there is such a thing. It was Mirage Savanti in B&R Destroy Everything.

Andrew NDB
07-17-2017, 04:46 PM
I don't believe there is such a thing. It was Mirage Savanti in B&R Destroy Everything.

*shrug*

Maybe Galactose, then, back for revenge.

myconius
07-17-2017, 05:37 PM

oh i really do hope so!!!

it's much too early to start celebrating, but even at the mere thought-

http://bestanimations.com/Holidays/Fireworks/fireworks/fireworks-animated-gif-7.gif

let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope that the planets will align! :D

Donnie
07-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Oh man, I really hope Peter gets around to finishing Volume 4.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-17-2017, 05:45 PM
I wonder if passing a church collection plate or filling a PAC envelope with crumpled twenties would help encourage his creative desire to finish Volume 4. :tlol:

Show him the fans care and will put their money where their mouth is, the way we put money towards Andrew finishing Volume 3. I wish I'd been active when that was happening, I'd have shelled out whatever I could for that...

Andrew NDB
07-17-2017, 05:56 PM
I wish I'd been active when that was happening, I'd have shelled out whatever I could for that...

You'll have your chance for "Origin." In just a few days.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-17-2017, 06:05 PM
You'll have your chance for "Origin." In just a few days.

Sounds promising!

CyberCubed
07-17-2017, 06:55 PM
I don't know why people are talking about crossovers or spinoffs or whatever, Volume 4 has it's own separate plots that were winding down around the time of issue 32. I don't see what the hell people are talking about other stuff when all we want is some closure to the current stories.

Mike is still with the Triceratons about to attack Styracadons and find out why the Regenta betrayed him, Leo was still in the Battle Nexus with an alternate Shredder about to meet and alternate Splinter, and besides that Raph/Don/April's story were all pretty much over or coming to a conclusion. There's not much else.

Then from what we know from Tales and the Future TMNT stories, we know the world goes to hell and most humans leave the planet but a few.

myconius
07-17-2017, 07:02 PM
I don't know why people are talking about crossovers or spinoffs or whatever, Volume 4 has it's own separate plots that were winding down around the time of issue 32. I don't see what the hell people are talking about other stuff when all we want is some closure to the current stories.

Mike is still with the Triceratons about to attack Styracadons and find out why the Regenta betrayed him, Leo was still in the Battle Nexus with an alternate Shredder about to meet and alternate Splinter, and besides that Raph/Don/April's story were all pretty much over or coming to a conclusion. There's not much else.

Then from what we know from Tales and the Future TMNT stories, we know the world goes to hell and most humans leave the planet but a few.

i'm with CyberCubed on this one.

Cryomancer
07-17-2017, 07:39 PM
Resolve the hanging stuff in volume 4, then let someone else take over for a Shadow Jones series that covers the flooded future. Perhaps have Laird in a role like he had for the 2003 show.

Andrew NDB
07-17-2017, 10:21 PM
Resolve the hanging stuff in volume 4, then let someone else take over for a Shadow Jones series that covers the flooded future.

That's a great idea. With occasional Turtle, April, Casey appearances.

CyberCubed
07-17-2017, 10:44 PM
PL is 63 right now, if he doesn't finish Volume 4 within say the next 5 years it's never going to happen.

You really think he's going to bother when he's 70? I don't know much about the comic industry, but how many 70+ year old writers are there who put out new material?

myconius
07-17-2017, 11:35 PM
PL is 63 right now, if he doesn't finish Volume 4 within say the next 5 years it's never going to happen.

You really think he's going to bother when he's 70? I don't know much about the comic industry, but how many 70+ year old writers are there who put out new material?

you don't know that though.

i'm sure the man can do what ever he wants to, when he's good and ready.

Toitlefan
07-18-2017, 12:18 AM

Stan Lee has got over 30 years on Peter. I don't know how much writing he's doing but he's still heavily active in the industry. I know he's an exception but he's proof enough.
You never know, maybe Peter will make a Stan Lee-esque comeback!

Nortock Diab
07-18-2017, 03:01 AM
These news are promising (even if not much is said).

Plus, we learn the Origin campaign starts in just a few days.

Being back from holidays is not that bad :tcool:.

FearlessLeader
07-18-2017, 07:48 AM

Everything hinges on Peter's health and how he maintains his health for the later part of his life. Saying someone won't do something just because they are a certain age is silly and actually age discrimination.

I am certain if we looked at the grand scope of the comic industry and people everywhere, if it was their passion more older people would publish comics. The problem is I'm guessing most companies don't want to hire people 60+ to work for them when they have ready and waiting 20/ 30 year olds to do so.

The thing about volume 4 is Peter and Mirage is doing the whole thing so he's in no rush. He can write it according to his moods and his passion so no corporate big wig will be telling him no just because he's "too old".

It's really just going to depend on how Peter feels as the years go on and if this is a project he can see himself undertaking. All of which is anyone's guess but this news makes me happy! I love volume 4 and have been waiting for anything about how they might conclude it.

I don't think I'll ever really feel completely good about the sale (even with enjoying the newer media) until we get this conclusion because that universe still feels very incomplete to me personally.

GoldMutant
07-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Hopefully, Peter can come back soon with that quote. I'm curious what he has in mind.

Andrew NDB
07-18-2017, 11:08 AM
Stan Lee has got over 30 years on Peter. I don't know how much writing he's doing but he's still heavily active in the industry.

We all know that he's not creatively, actively involved in much of anything, and hasn't been for a long time.

CyberCubed
07-18-2017, 12:46 PM
You know it's hard to believe PL was only 46 years old in 2001 when he started Volume 4. For some reason I thought he was already in his 50's but he wasn't. Probably because he always looked older than he was at the time (PL has looked the same for like 20 years now), so he obviously had a lot more energy and enthusiasm in his 40's than he does now.

2001 was over 15 years ago after all. It really puts into perspective how young most of us all were back then. Some of us have been waiting our entire late teens, entire 20's, and early 30's for this series to reach it's conclusion. It's absolutely bizarre a young teen can become a fully grown adult in the same span Volume 4 was going on.

I was only in 10th grade in High School back then, lol.

dl316bh
07-18-2017, 03:45 PM
We all know that he's not creatively, actively involved in much of anything, and hasn't been for a long time.
Yeah, definitely not. He's written small back-up shorts and an occasional one shot, usually on special occasions, but even that's sparing. He hasn't done much in twenty to thirty years. I think he can barely see anymore; I remember him saying in recent years he can't really read comics anymore because his eyesight is so bad.

Stan Lee's been a beloved... mascot might be the best term, or simply public figure for Marvel, for about two decades now, I'd say.

Powder
07-18-2017, 05:03 PM
I know better than to get my hopes up.

MrPliggins
07-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Anyone who thinks 63 is old in a creative field should read this article on the 99u:

http://99u.com/articles/54991/a-drivers-license-can-be-revoked-for-the-elderly-but-artistic-license-never

Andrew NDB
07-18-2017, 05:06 PM
Ridley Scott is 79 and he's still putting out movies like Prometheus and Alien: Cove...

Oh.

AquaParade
07-18-2017, 05:21 PM
Ridley Scott is 79 and he's still putting out movies like Prometheus and Alien: Cove...

Oh.

Ha!

It's still impressive though.

myconius
07-18-2017, 05:55 PM
Rembrandt, Da Vinci and Michelangelo's art only got better as they got older.

ToTheNines
07-18-2017, 06:06 PM
DKIII is probably my favorite Frank Miller story ever. Scorsese still has it. Ken Kesey's last novel was great. I could go on.

Andrew NDB
07-18-2017, 06:14 PM
DKIII is probably my favorite Frank Miller story ever.

He barely had anything to do with that.

ToTheNines
07-18-2017, 06:37 PM
I didn't really investigate how much heavy lifting he did versus Azzerello, but you can clearly see his fingerprints on it. The shorts he did for each issue were all awesome.

myconius
07-18-2017, 06:46 PM
DKIII is probably my favorite Frank Miller story ever.

was that any decent?
i passed on it as it came out when i was phasing out DC from my pull-list.
though i might consider possibly getting the collected edition?

Optimus Primer
07-18-2017, 06:49 PM
You know it's hard to believe PL was only 46 years old in 2001 when he started Volume 4. For some reason I thought he was already in his 50's but he wasn't. Probably because he always looked older than he was at the time (PL has looked the same for like 20 years now), so he obviously had a lot more energy and enthusiasm in his 40's than he does now.

2001 was over 15 years ago after all. It really puts into perspective how young most of us all were back then. Some of us have been waiting our entire late teens, entire 20's, and early 30's for this series to reach it's conclusion. It's absolutely bizarre a young teen can become a fully grown adult in the same span Volume 4 was going on.

I was only in 10th grade in High School back then, lol.

How is that hard to believe? Time passes, and people get older.

Anyway, I hope Pete will finish Vol. 4. Good to hear he's still thinking about it, and hasn't given up.

dl316bh
07-18-2017, 07:20 PM
I didn't really investigate how much heavy lifting he did versus Azzerello, but you can clearly see his fingerprints on it. The shorts he did for each issue were all awesome.
I personally suspect a lot of lifting on Azzarellos end. I've read most of Millers meager output since the aughts started, much of it out of morbid curiosity. "Questionable" is the nicest way I can put it.

That said, I stick up for that issue of ASB&R where Batman painted everything yellow to get one up on Green Lantern. Intentional or not - I'm betting no, given how it tried to get serious by the end - it made me laugh. I'm still hoping to get an opportunity to say "damn your lemonade" in context sometime.

was that any decent?
It's supposed to be pretty good. Brian Azzarello co-writes it and it has Andy Kubert and Klaus Janson on art. Kubert interiors are rare enough these days that I might actually look it up in trade on that alone.

ToTheNines
07-18-2017, 08:05 PM
was that any decent?
i passed on it as it came out when i was phasing out DC from my pull-list.
though i might consider possibly getting the collected edition?

It's a must-read.

I personally suspect a lot of lifting on Azzarellos end. I've read most of Millers meager output since the aughts started, much of it out of morbid curiosity. "Questionable" is the nicest way I can put it.

That said, I stick up for that issue of ASB&R where Batman painted everything yellow to get one up on Green Lantern. Intentional or not - I'm betting no, given how it tried to get serious by the end - it made me laugh. I'm still hoping to get an opportunity to say "damn your lemonade" in context sometime.

It's supposed to be pretty good. Brian Azzarello co-writes it and it has Andy Kubert and Klaus Janson on art. Kubert interiors are rare enough these days that I might actually look it up in trade on that alone.

Oh, he's definitely written a lot of trash in recent years. Maybe I'm just being a fanboy, but I'm calling it a return to greatness.

myconius
07-18-2017, 08:20 PM
It's a must-read.

thanks Nines :)

John Pannozzi
07-18-2017, 11:39 PM
*shrug*

Maybe Galactose, then, back for revenge.

Steve Murphy and Ryan Brown actually own him, so maybe use someone else.

Bircher
07-18-2017, 11:57 PM
I think a few friendly words of encouragement via letters to Mirage would go a long way

Powder
07-19-2017, 12:51 AM
I think a few friendly words of encouragement via letters to Mirage would go a long way

He's been harassed about this for years, he knows there's interest. Changes nothin'.

Andrew NDB
07-19-2017, 12:57 AM
I think actual letters to him might go a long way. I could be way off.

dl316bh
07-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Oh, he's definitely written a lot of trash in recent years. Maybe I'm just being a fanboy, but I'm calling it a return to greatness.
I guess I'll see if I ever get around to it. Maybe it is. I dunno. I'm just skeptical, you know? I still like a lot of the classics - from the obvious ones to stuff like that time he teamed with Walt friggin Simonson for Robocop vs Terminator - But his modern day output really took the bloom off the rose for me.

But I suppose it could happen. Hell, I checked some of Mark Millars work from recent times after Nemesis made me nope out for five years or so and it seems he pulled back on the vile, disgusting nonsense that drove me off entirely. Huck is actually a pretty nice read and Jupiters Circle wasn't bad either, even if I had a few issues with the story of the latter, stemming mainly from the fact that it probably needed a bit more time given to a couple things. If he can do it, who knows.

myconius
07-19-2017, 05:14 PM
I checked some of Mark Millars work from recent times after Nemesis made me nope out for five years or so and it seems he pulled back on the vile, disgusting nonsense that drove me off entirely. Huck is actually a pretty nice read and Jupiters Circle wasn't bad either, even if I had a few issues with the story of the latter, stemming mainly from the fact that it probably needed a bit more time given to a couple things. If he can do it, who knows.

if you're in the market for a good sleep aid? give Mark Millar's Reborn a try?
it's more potent than knock-out gas. :lol:

dl316bh
07-20-2017, 12:31 AM
if you're in the market for a good sleep aid? give Mark Millar's Reborn a try?
it's more potent than knock-out gas. :lol:
That bad, huh? I actually haven't even heard of that one. I'm kind of poking my head back into his work after Jupiters Legacy surprised me.

myconius
07-20-2017, 06:37 AM
That bad, huh? I actually haven't even heard of that one. I'm kind of poking my head back into his work after Jupiters Legacy surprised me.

it's probably for the best that you hadn't heard of it.
i had such high hopes for it, but it just ended being very clichéd, predictable and just not very interesting.
even Greg Capullo's art couldn't save that dud of a story.
perhaps Mark Millar should just stick to what he knows, cheesy schlock. :lol:

pferreira
07-20-2017, 09:55 AM
I think the only way Peter Laird is going to finish Volume 4 if he feels inspired through direct contact with TMNT events like conventions or doing press interviews. That might work, writing letters not so much.

Now that would be a horrible idea... lol.That is one messed up dream! Ha, ha! :lol:

dl316bh
07-20-2017, 03:05 PM
it's probably for the best that you hadn't heard of it.
i had such high hopes for it, but it just ended being very clichéd, predictable and just not very interesting.
even Greg Capullo's art couldn't save that dud of a story.
perhaps Mark Millar should just stick to what he knows, cheesy schlock. :lol:
Ooooh, it's the one Greg Capullo stepped away from Batman to do. Right, I actually forgot about that. Like I said, up until a couple weeks ago I just wrote off anything Mark Millar did. So Capullo aside I just shrugged at the announcement and went about my day.

I think the only way Peter Laird is going to finish Volume 4 if he feels inspired through direct contact with TMNT events like conventions or doing press interviews. That might work, writing letters not so much.
Peter Laird very much strikes me as the sort who wants to do something less and less the more he's bugged about it, or he perceives as being bugged. I know the feeling. So yeah, I expect it would be more like what you say, or enough time passes and he's just struck with the urge to return and finish what he's started. Given the fact that he's actually discussing the possibility now, the process might have already begun.

Bircher
07-20-2017, 05:00 PM
From the letters page and other comments he's made, a general "please, please make some more" will probably not do a whole lot.

However, if the letters pointed out specific plot points that interested you and why, or ways his writing has inspired you, or substantive things like that are things he seems to appreciate.

Andrew NDB
07-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Steve Murphy and Ryan Brown actually own him, so maybe use someone else.

Really? I thought Mirage put a moratorium on over creators owning any characters that "first appear" in Mirage stories since TMNT Vol. 1.

Spike Spiegel
07-20-2017, 07:02 PM
Have there been any recent developments regarding an IDW reprint of the existing Volume 4 material?

CyberCubed
07-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Have there been any recent developments regarding an IDW reprint of the existing Volume 4 material?

Nope. It's not being collected anytime soon. I'm not sure why, they could skip Image for now and go ahead and collect Volume 4 but it seems they don't want to do that either yet.

Bircher
07-20-2017, 09:19 PM

I thought I remember Peter saying he had the rights to vol 4 and Nick didn't. He said he plans on doing a tpb.... someday.

John Pannozzi
07-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Really? I thought Mirage put a moratorium on over creators owning any characters that "first appear" in Mirage stories since TMNT Vol. 1.

Murph told me so. Mind you, the issue with Galactose came after Mirage went full-on work-for-hire, and the legal indicia mentioned that Murph and Brown owned the character. I guess since that was a crossover with Moo Mesa, the rights to certain characters were part of their own deaks.

CyberCubed
07-20-2017, 09:58 PM
I thought I remember Peter saying he had the rights to vol 4 and Nick didn't. He said he plans on doing a tpb.... someday.

Dude, Nick owns everything TMNT that Mirage did.

DestronMirage22
07-21-2017, 02:56 AM
I'm glad Pete still thinks about finishing Vol. 4, but if anything were to happen, it'd probably be in the future, a good amount of years from now. So I'm just gonna keep waiting patiently. No use psyching yourself up for something that won't happen anytime soon.

CyberCubed
07-21-2017, 03:04 AM
Well in another 6 months PL turns 64, so I'm not sure how many more years he can wait before he loses interest 100%.

As I said if it doesn't happen within at least the next 2 years or so, I don't believe it ever will.

darthsmozers
07-21-2017, 07:14 PM

At the same time, I want to say yeeesss!!! And nooooooo!!!

myconius
07-22-2017, 12:51 AM

that'd be one HECK of a dream we were talking about! :lol:

kid would have had to have been in a years-long coma!!

...actually, that'd be verrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting!

NAH!

marcelangelo
07-22-2017, 04:38 AM
Well in another 6 months PL turns 64, so I'm not sure how many more years he can wait before he loses interest 100%.

As I said if it doesn't happen within at least the next 2 years or so, I don't believe it ever will.

you have no idea of the power that self created material has on you.none of us can actually really understands the bond peter and kevin share to their turtles I think. this has nothing to do with age here...pete could one day come around the corner and knock everyone and their sister out of the universe with a dramatic, organic and interesting turtles volume 4 continuation

CyberCubed
07-22-2017, 12:32 PM
He originally said the reason he took a break from Volume 4 was that he lost interest and didn't feel attached to the Turtles as much since the sale to Viacom in 2009. PL even said he never read most of the Tales of the TMNT issues that Mirage was still publishing at the time in the later half from 2006-2010.

If PL didn't even bother to read every comic published by his own company and fellow Mirage writers/artists, you can tell he wanted to distance himself from the property for awhile.

pferreira
07-27-2017, 03:46 PM
If PL didn't even bother to read every comic published by his own company and fellow Mirage writers/artists, you can tell he wanted to distance himself from the property for awhile.

So yeah, I expect it would be more like what you say, or enough time passes and he's just struck with the urge to return and finish what he's started. Given the fact that he's actually discussing the possibility now, the process might have already begun.Like I said if he starts to get more exposure from conventions or press interviews it may reinvignorate his interest enough for him to something with Volume 4 even if it's taking part in the production of reprints.

AquaParade
07-27-2017, 03:51 PM
I'd be really interested in a Mirage vol. 5 from Peter. I wish he could shake off all the cobwebs of volume 4 and give us another fresh take - a vision of how he see's tmnt these days. Like how Image and vol.4 felt when they started.

Not spitballing likely scenarios here, just what I'd be interested in.

Andrew NDB
07-27-2017, 03:54 PM
I'd be really interested in a Mirage vol. 5 from Peter. I wish he could shake off all the cobwebs of volume 4 and give us another fresh take - a vision of how he see's tmnt these days. Like how Image and vol.4 felt when they started.

Not spitballing likely scenarios here, just what I'd be interested in.

I'd love to see a completion of V4 from Peter, then a V5 with him "heavily involved" (as would be required, per the 18 issue agreement with Nick) with new and/or old talent doing the "meat" of things. Kind of like Tales V2, but focused and linear and with planned-out story arcs.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-27-2017, 04:09 PM
I'd love to see a completion of V4 from Peter, then a V5 with him "heavily involved" (as would be required, per the 18 issue agreement with Nick) with new and/or old talent doing the "meat" of things. Kind of like Tales V2, but focused and linear and with planned-out story arcs.

Agreed. With Eastman involvement as well. Somebody bring back the dream team!

CyberCubed
07-27-2017, 04:49 PM
Once Peter and Kevin retire I don't think Mirage TMNT will continue in any form. And having new young writers trying to write in the Mirage universe would just feel wrong.

Andrew NDB
07-27-2017, 05:04 PM
And having new young writers trying to write in the Mirage universe would just feel wrong.

Did the Tristan Jones stuff feel wrong? Did the Ross May stuff seem wrong?

CyberCubed
07-27-2017, 05:07 PM

It was good, but it didn't feel much like Mirage TMNT, in any case. The Turtles were also written more similar to the modern (back in the early 2000's modern) style than feeling like the old 80's/90's style, if that makes any sense.

I just re-read all 70 Tales issues a few months ago, you'll be surprised how much "Cowabunga" is dropped, even by issues written by Jim Lawson or Murphy or Dan Berger.

Logan
07-30-2017, 04:22 PM
I really hope Peter gets around to this. I don't want to find out one day that he died and that his epitaph reads, "He never finished Volume 4."

If and when he does get back in the saddle, I'm hoping he's more of a mind to create material that fans will want to read. I'm all for creative freedom and not being a slave to fan service, but volume 4 feels less like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and more like just plain Turtles.

CyberCubed
07-30-2017, 04:24 PM
Considering he would just be wrapping up the current storylines, I don't see what you'd expect further. His role in the TMNT franchise is done.

Logan
07-30-2017, 04:40 PM
Considering he would just be wrapping up the current storylines, I don't see what you'd expect further. His role in the TMNT franchise is done.

Hope springs eternal.

CyberCubed
07-30-2017, 04:44 PM
Well as I keep saying, he's 63 years old. By the time he finishes Volume 4 if he ever does he'll be pushing 70. Unfortunately people don't live forever, and in his 70's I think he'd rather be enjoying the twilight years of his life rather than working on a comic.

Casey
07-30-2017, 06:17 PM
Yeah. I was ready to be let down. Still am lol.

Such a minor comment, and yet, it fills me with hope!!!

And I thought this was going to be a trolling post from you, Andrew. :tlol:

Bircher
07-30-2017, 07:23 PM
Well as I keep saying, he's 63 years old. By the time he finishes Volume 4 if he ever does he'll be pushing 70. Unfortunately people don't live forever, and in his 70's I think he'd rather be enjoying the twilight years of his life rather than working on a comic.

hopefully it wouldn't take him that long if he got into it again. Also, 70 isn't that old. I know plenty of passionate 70 and even 80 year old people that have no desire to spend the rest of their days doing nothing but playing golf or cards. It's not like writing comics is physically exhausting

CyberCubed
07-30-2017, 07:44 PM
hopefully it wouldn't take him that long if he got into it again. Also, 70 isn't that old. I know plenty of passionate 70 and even 80 year old people that have no desire to spend the rest of their days doing nothing but playing golf or cards. It's not like writing comics is physically exhausting

Well, he flat out stopped Volume 4 regularly exactly because he got exhausted and wanted a break from the franchise. And he was still only in his 50's when he did that.

ToTheNines
07-30-2017, 07:57 PM
So? Young people experience burnout all the time. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with age.

Bircher
07-30-2017, 08:20 PM
I am just really grateful that this is even an option. Star Wars fans are stuck with what ever Disney puts out (for good or bad). Fans that prefer Lucas' work have no hope of Lucas stories.

I am so glad Peter had the option put in the contract to put out stories. So awesome.

I also hope he can be convinced to "executive produce" some Tales stories

Andrew NDB
07-30-2017, 08:33 PM

It was good, but it didn't feel much like Mirage TMNT, in any case. The Turtles were also written more similar to the modern (back in the early 2000's modern) style than feeling like the old 80's/90's style, if that makes any sense.

I guess that's true. Tristan said he wrote the Turtles like people write Batman or X-Men or anything else... as if the main characters are in a constant flux state of "present day," even if previous comics were pretty clearly set at a certain time. That take, I think, works for mainstream comics, but not for something like Mirage TMNT which are pretty specifically anchored to certain dates and events in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s.

CyberCubed
07-30-2017, 08:39 PM
So? Young people experience burnout all the time. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with age.

If I remember correctly he initially stopped because he was working on the 2007 movie with Kevin Munroe, and he was still working on all the 4kids episode scripts with Lloyd Goldfine and Turtles Forever through 2009, so he likely just got burnt out.

However it's been...literally 8 years since then, and he's only put out what...around 3 new issues? And two of them had almost finished scripts for a while before he bothered to have Lawson draw them from what I remember?

He's 63 now so he was in his mid 50's at the time.

eskater
08-04-2017, 02:55 PM
I really hope Peter gets around to this. I don't want to find out one day that he died and that his epitaph reads, "He never finished Volume 4."

Man that would be a bummer right there.....