PDA

View Full Version : Steve Whitmire [Kermit The Frog] Fired For ''Unacceptable Buisness Conduct''

ZariusTwo
07-17-2017, 02:50 PM
http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/17/kermit-the-frog-steve-whitmire-fired/

“The role of Kermit the Frog is an iconic one that is beloved by fans and we take our responsibility to protect the integrity of that character very seriously,” a spokesperson for the Muppets Studio said in a statement to EW. “We raised concerns about Steve’s repeated unacceptable business conduct over a period of many years and he consistently failed to address the feedback. The decision to part ways was a difficult one which was made in consultation with the Henson family and has their full support.”

Here's what Cheryl Henson had to say about him, and it is not pleasant

https://www.reddit.com/r/Muppets/comments/6nuqhs/cheryl_hensons_thoughts_on_whitmires_take_on/

Vegita-San
07-17-2017, 03:19 PM
isn't the mouse notorious for treating employees, especially ones at it's parks, badly?

until something comes out, i still side with steve on this one. he's worked with disney for at least 5 years and now all of a sudden they pull the plug.

something isn't adding up.

Andrew NDB
07-17-2017, 03:49 PM
Hopefully he's not going down like Kevin Clash, as a diddler or something.

Vegita-San
07-17-2017, 03:51 PM
i'm really hoping it's not something bad or nasty.

but if it's honestly disney trying to tarnish the muppets by making thme updated and hip like that failed tv pilot where they where all nasty to each other...i can see steve not liking that direction.

Utrommaniac
07-17-2017, 03:52 PM
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened. He protested the changes Disney was making and they weren't having it.

plastroncafe
07-17-2017, 03:54 PM
I agree with Cheryl Henson's assessment of Kermit's recent portrayal, which is one of the reasons I stopped watching that new Muppet show.

But I think I'm siding with that redditor who points out that the actor can only do so much with the script.

This is curious. And I'm curious what these business practices are that he's accused of taking part in.

Andrew NDB
07-17-2017, 03:56 PM
Are you guys talking about "The Muppets," the show that came out last year? That lasted a whole season. I rather enjoyed it.

plastroncafe
07-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Are you guys talking about "The Muppets," the show that came out last year? That lasted a whole season. I rather enjoyed it.

There were parts that were entertaining, but I find moody depressive Kermit insufferable. Much the same way I find moody depressive Superman insufferable.

Andrew NDB
07-17-2017, 04:05 PM
I'm sure that was just an initial character arc. He would have returned to "normal" Kermit and it would have felt earned.

Vegita-San
07-17-2017, 04:42 PM
sounds to me like whitmire was speaking up as the v oice of the fans who didn't like the changes...and had had enough of disney reign on the muppets and thought it might be worth a risk to get even more vocal, thinking his position was safe.

apparently it wasn't.

that's what I think at any rate
http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/disney-says-it-fired-kermit-the-frog-actor-over-unacceptable-business-conduct/ar-BBEBF64?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

then i see this...
'Matt Vogel will take over as Kermit the Frog. His first time as the character will be in a "Muppets Thought of the Week" video this week.

"I'm actually responsible for Matt having become a part of the Disney Muppets," Whitmire said.'

i know nothing of matt vogal. any chance he stabbed steve in the back to get even more work? you'd think jerry's characters would be enough.

Jester
07-17-2017, 09:09 PM
Not sure what I think. The NY Times had this to say:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/arts/television/kermit-the-frog-disney-firing.html?referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2 F

Wildcat
07-17-2017, 11:08 PM
4JFkHuIUwF0

TF4_4g1B2Ug

I'm just kidding around. I didn't watch that show but I immediately thought of those episodes.

Ninjinister
07-17-2017, 11:14 PM

Technically two years ago... canceled last year. But I concur it was clever as hell and actually funnier than any sitcom I've seen in years. And this is coming from someone who hasn't really been a "fan" of the Muppets since he was a kid.

Vegita-San
07-18-2017, 07:04 AM
Not sure what I think. The NY Times had this to say:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/arts/television/kermit-the-frog-disney-firing.html?referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2 F

i'm not one to believe a big souless corporation like disney that treats it's employees in parks so badly.

my money is still on whitmire on this one.
and i'm not sure i buy that understudy thing either. There WAS one awards show where a voice other than his was used. it sounded so close to jim, i wasn't sure it wasn't pre taped stuff at first.

could it feel possible he felt threatened by that, knowing people didn't like his kermit cause it sounded so different? sure.

I don't know. I just don't see any of the muppet performers acting the way disney is trying to portray. their description seems more like a disney ceo.

***First of Two Latin Kings***
07-18-2017, 07:33 AM
When did Disney acquire the Muppets? I knew they had Star Wars and Marvel...

I wonder if Disney will try to buy TMNT from Nick at some point...

sdp
07-18-2017, 07:48 AM
Disney is interested in big franchises, not small ones like TMNT when they already have a huge cast of superheroes to workw ith; Not that Viacom was going to sell them.

The Muppets were bought in the late 90s or early 00's so it's been a while. The current CEO said there wouldn't be any more "major" acquisitions by Disney during his run for CEO, Bob Iger is the current CEO and he bought Pixar, Marvel and then Star Wars all in about 4 years from each other so investors were speculating if in another few years there would be another but he shut that down. Bob Iger has done a lot for Disney and as of now they don't really need to acquire any other company, they're pretty well rounded.

Vegita-San
07-18-2017, 08:05 AM
they shouldn't have been allowed to acquire that much atall but that is a different story.

article claims muppets where bought in 2004.

so all this stinks of 'new ceo hired'...he couldn't have gotten so bad in that long a time unless disney was trying to force there way on him.

sdp
07-18-2017, 08:11 AM
so all this stinks of 'new ceo hired'...he couldn't have gotten so bad in that long a time unless disney was trying to force there way on him.

What?

There isn't a new CEO being hired, what do you mean Disney is being forced on him? The Disney heirs have loved Bob Iger's leadership since he has been in charge as have their share holders. Disney went from being rather irrelevant int he early 00's to a big hit with girls to a big hit with everyone since he has been in power. He has done many things that have changed Disney besides just buying IP.

ZariusTwo
07-18-2017, 10:03 AM
Yeah, if you need to look at one universally despised Disney affiliate, look to Marvel's Ike Pearlmutter

Vegita-San
07-18-2017, 10:12 AM
What?

There isn't a new CEO being hired, what do you mean Disney is being forced on him? The Disney heirs have loved Bob Iger's leadership since he has been in charge as have their share holders. Disney went from being rather irrelevant int he early 00's to a big hit with girls to a big hit with everyone since he has been in power. He has done many things that have changed Disney besides just buying IP.

as in, new direction of the muppets he didn't like. new disney working conditions he didn't like. and maybe he thought he could raise a stink cause his 27 years of loyalty bought him a bit of a safe zone to work in.

The Deadman
07-18-2017, 10:41 AM
i'm not one to believe a big souless corporation like disney that treats it's employees in parks so badly.

Yes, only Disney can be at fault for whether or not one of their employees is an ass.

sdp
07-18-2017, 11:32 AM
as in, new direction of the muppets he didn't like. new disney working conditions he didn't like. and maybe he thought he could raise a stink cause his 27 years of loyalty bought him a bit of a safe zone to work in.

Disney is a Fortune 500 company; Bob Iger doesn't have time for petty decisions.

Jester
07-18-2017, 01:08 PM
Does this leave Dave "Gonzo" Goetz as the last original Muppeteer? Has his $.02 been added to the pile?

Vegita-San
07-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Probably afraid too at this point.
that's the problem with companies owning too much, or people trying to drown out simple thought due to over emotional reaction. not as much ways to fight back.

although gonzo has been sounding rather tired lately, i'd hate to loose him too.

Vegita-San
07-18-2017, 06:25 PM
and another one.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/jim-hensons-son-explains-why-kermit-actor-was-replaced-character-could-use-change-1022041

The one that stood out like a sore thumb to me as 'disney, we are willing to be team players'... is this comment..

""I have to say, in hindsight, I feel pretty guilty that I burdened Disney by not having recast Kermit at that point because I knew that it was going to be a real problem,"""

Then why didn't you dude? or where you too busy trying to undo the damage that deal with that german tv company almost did to the brand?

whitmire doesn't seem willing to name names or throw anyone under the bus, but the defense from the kids is totally on the attack.

is it possible steve was the ass? hell yeah. but he doesn't seem to be the aggressive one here.

Wildcat
07-18-2017, 10:41 PM
Yes, only Disney can be at fault for whether or not one of their employees is an ass.It's funny I was just watching some old news reports about people trying to sue Disney over park mascots being supposedly racist. Ignoring them over white kids.

Complaining about rude employees is fine but sue? Come on. You lose credibility when you do that. So suing is your go to move over supposed discrimination?

Would they have tried to sued if it was just an everyday employee who snubbed them at a grocery store?

In the grand scheme of Disneyland just move to something else if you encounter a rude person. There's rude people everywhere.

ProactiveMan
07-19-2017, 02:35 AM
I don't think there is a smoking gun in this case. After reading what Whitmire, Disney and the Hensons have said, I'm not 100% behind any of them.

Sounds like Whitmire's disagreeable, but most of the behavior the Henson's described doesn't sound like the type of thing that would get your average professional fired, especially with that much seniority. A lot of it reads like he was trying to create job security for himself - maybe not in the nicest way, but I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid if a lawyer or stockbroker acted in the same manor.

I can also see how putting up with someone who is a total pain in the ass could screw up a creative environment, and it sounds like they tried to work out this issue several times in the past, but it's still a bit suspicious how often salary negotiations came up in the responses from the suits.

Katie
07-19-2017, 04:29 PM
It doesn't really matter who thinks what about the reason. Disney pretty much operates in at-will states, meaning you can be terminated from employment at any time for any reason (as long as the stated reason isn't in violation of any federal or state law)

Big corporation. Jerky employee who thought he was irreplaceable. Nothing more, nothing less.

ProactiveMan
07-20-2017, 03:32 AM
Sounds like a real utopia. Are these the same states installing spikes to drive away homeless people?

ZariusTwo
07-20-2017, 04:51 AM
I would kill for a dramatization of this mess right now. Maybe if the ABC show had a second season this would have been the story

Vegita-San
07-20-2017, 07:00 AM
well, anyway..

I can't help but wonder if steve waited 8 months to bring this out, because the project he was so concerned about is finally getting ready to go ahead?

We saw what the last two ones where like. Depressed kermit sitting in a dark mansion pining for the good old days, until walter reminded him the good old days are still here. and a divorced kermit trashing piggy and hooking up with 'hot young pigs' for a fling.

if fans thought that was bad, maybe something even worse is on the way to try and revitalize the muppets for the current decade.

That might explain why his notes got a bit more ferocious trying to defend the characters 'honor'....and why the henson kids are blaming everyone but the writers and disney for the direction things are going.

that too me would make more sense.