Andrew NDB
07-21-2017, 12:54 PM
https://maniacalgeek.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/ghostbuster-lady-thumb.jpg

https://www.themarysue.com/ghostbusters-may-arrive-in-2019/

"there is a demand for Holtzmann, Yates, Tolan, and Gilbert."

The all-female Ghostbusters ride again?

Autbot_Benz
07-21-2017, 12:57 PM
Oh brother please don't be the fiegbusters again. Go with a new group of ghostbusters. Also keep Paul Feig away from this movie

Andrew NDB
07-21-2017, 12:58 PM
Oh brother please don't be the fiegbusters again. Go with a new group of ghostbusters.

That sounds sexist.

Autbot_Benz
07-21-2017, 01:02 PM
That sounds sexist.

ya I am a sexist misogynistic manpig :lol: cause I hate fiegbusters.

Cure
07-21-2017, 01:09 PM
This is a bit misleading. Person was saying it COULD happen and "fans" COULD expect it in 2019.

tmntfannumerouno
07-21-2017, 01:11 PM
The first movie was unwatchable. What makes them think this is going to be any better?

#****thefiegbusters #notliterally #notthathardup #maybeifiwasblinddeafandstupid

Andrew NDB
07-21-2017, 01:20 PM
The first movie was unwatchable. What makes them think this is going to be any better?

Paul Feig has probably learned from all of his mistakes. Like, look at how much better the "Director's Cut" was with the 4 new dance numbers vs. the theatrical version.

snake
07-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Obviously, I can't wait for this movie.

tmntfannumerouno
07-21-2017, 01:23 PM
Paul Feig has probably learned from all of his mistakes. Like, look at how much better the "Director's Cut" was with the 4 new dance numbers vs. the theatrical version.

I'm guessing that's a joke? I hope that's a joke. WTF!

edit: **** me that's an actual thing
This must be one of the signs of the apocalypse. This truly is the end of days.

Andrew NDB
07-21-2017, 01:26 PM
I'm guessing that's a joke? I hope that's a joke. WTF!

Not a joke.

Autbot_Benz
07-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Make the movie with 2 girls and 2 guys busters and keep Paul Fieg away

GoldMutant
07-21-2017, 01:34 PM
Andrew, was "Answer the Call" actually better on DVD? I did want to see it in theaters out of curiosity but never had the opportunity.

I still wish we had a passing of the torch movie, but if there is a sequel, I hope it doesn't attract the same controversy and can be a solid flick for most.

Until then, I have the IDW comics and 360 game to satisfy my Ghostbuster needs for now. Which reminds me, if there is a sequel by then, I expect a better game tie-in. The 2016 game sucked badly.

Andrew NDB
07-21-2017, 01:34 PM
Andrew, was "Answer the Call" actually better on DVD?

It was significantly worse.

GoldMutant
07-21-2017, 01:37 PM
It was significantly worse.

Goody, now I retract my first statement. :lol:

I do wonder how the reactions are going to go, and so far, I'm getting a chuckle out of them. Please let this sequel be decent.

Andrew NDB
07-21-2017, 01:46 PM
I do wonder how the reactions are going to go, and so far, I'm getting a chuckle out of them. Please let this sequel be decent.

It's really not clear at all that this IS a sequel, or even has anything to do with the female Ghostbusters. The line in the article about "Response to Ghostbusters: Answer the Call was mixed, but there’s no doubt, with the inclusion of the all-female team in video games and comics, that there is a demand for Holtzmann, Yates, Tolan, and Gilbert" was entirely speculative of the article writer. And not really accurate, in any case. They appear in the video games because the video games were already in development before the movie even came out, not because the movie was a hit and there was all this fan demand. It would have cost them more money NOT to release the games. They appear in the IDW comics because IDW wanted to use them (probably an attempt to cash in on controversy... smart), not because anyone was beating down their door for them to do so.

Spike Spiegel
07-21-2017, 02:14 PM
That article Andrew posted was dishonest and click-baity, but--

If they had a competently written script with a memorable villain and main characters that could actually be differentiated from one other, I'd give the new team another chance. The 101 comic shows that the characters can be funny and effective.

I like the OG 'Busters best obviously, but with Ramis dead and the others as old as dirt, it's not going to realistically happen. They'd be smart to look at what IDW's done with multiple teams worth of characters occupying the same universe/multiverse. Lots of possibilities for a sprawling, branching film franchise.

I'd also love to see a new animated series on the same level as Real/Extreme Ghostbusters with the new cast.

Autbot_Benz
07-21-2017, 02:18 PM
That article Andrew posted was dishonest and click-baity, but--

If they had a competently written script with a memorable villain and main characters that could actually be differentiated from one other, I'd give the new team another chance. The 101 comic shows that the characters can be funny and effective.

I like the OG 'Busters best obviously, but with Ramis dead and the others as old as dirt, it's not going to realistically happen. They'd be smart to look at what IDW's done with multiple teams worth of characters occupying the same universe/multiverse. Lots of possibilities for a sprawling, branching film franchise.

I'd also love to see a new animated series on the same level as Real/Extreme Ghostbusters with the new cast.

what do you expect Themarysue is a feminist website :lol:

Vegita-San
07-21-2017, 02:19 PM
this movie was the beginning of the end of free sensible speech online...and the start of everyone going bat crap crazy....

all you have to do is mention 'ghostbusters' now and the hate and vile and insults start flying one's way, and the man tears memes start popping up.

these are the kind of people this movie brought into the franchise, and sony still forces IDW to do a mini series on it?

if they wanted to do it on their own they would not have waited a year to do so...

sigh..

thanks man hating sites like themarysue and guardian and a few dozen others. you're not helping the situation at all ;).

CyberCubed
07-21-2017, 02:20 PM
I still don't get why Ghostbusters as a movie franchise is a thing. I understand the comics and all, but the live-action movies have no reason to exist without the original cast and they're all just too old now.

Andrew NDB
07-21-2017, 02:23 PM
I still don't get why Ghostbusters as a movie franchise is a thing. I understand the comics and all, but the live-action movies have no reason to exist without the original cast and they're all just too old now.

The new one might be what everyone wanted to see with the reboot to begin with... a new cast, some mix of male and female members, with Ray and Winston around to help them out and equip them. If Venkman can be there, all the better.

Candy Kappa
07-21-2017, 02:28 PM
I'd love to see another movie with Abby, Holtz, Gilbert and Patty. A crossover with the old team would be pretty sweet.

Allio
07-21-2017, 09:20 PM
Just give me Ghostbusters with the cast of Whose line and I'll be set.

Powder
07-21-2017, 09:22 PM
Just give me Ghostbusters with the cast of Whose line and I'll be set.

I did not realize how badly I wanted this...

Utrommaniac
07-21-2017, 09:23 PM
That would be absolutely glorious :lol: !

Storm Eagle
07-21-2017, 09:28 PM
Make the movie with 2 girls and 2 guys busters and keep Paul Fieg away

Yes, and one white, one black, one Hispanic, and one Asian. Ken Jeong anyone? Lin-Manuel Miranda perhaps? :)

Wildcat
07-21-2017, 10:30 PM
I saw this yesterday. I said it's not surprising for movies that underperformed to get sequels. Most of the issue was the reaction not the movie.

I hope it happens and they connect it to the originals. It might not be a direct sequel but I'm sure they'll keep it and it's characters officially part of the franchise and canon now.

There's no way they'll ever write it off with all the hate it got. It would be seen as giving into to the controversy and the complaints.

oldmanwinters
07-21-2017, 10:31 PM
I guess this means we can gear up for the 3rd entry of the Bay-verse TMNT?

DestronMirage22
07-21-2017, 11:57 PM
Hopefully this new film wouldn't be more of the same drek we got last year. And if it is, at least IDW's still representing the brand in a good way.

Andrew NDB
07-24-2017, 09:28 PM
This offers a clue:

http://ghostbustersnews.com/2017/07/24/harold-ramis-daughter-comments-new-ghostbusters-film-possibly-featuring-cg-egon/

If they are actively talking about whether or not they should or will do a CGI Egon... and this says they are... we can kind of figure out where their head is for the new movie.

oldmanwinters
07-24-2017, 09:30 PM
This offers a clue:

http://ghostbustersnews.com/2017/07/24/harold-ramis-daughter-comments-new-ghostbusters-film-possibly-featuring-cg-egon/

If they are actively talking about whether or not they should or will do a CGI Egon... and this says they are... we can kind of figure out where their head is for the new movie.

Ugh. Sony, please stop.

sdp
07-24-2017, 09:47 PM
Can they even do a crossover in a new one? Didn't Answer the Call establish itself as a reboot or could that be retconned?

Answer the Call is also not "terrible" I half-watched it in a flight and it seemed generic/mediocre but not horrible.

Powder
07-24-2017, 10:13 PM
I would check out a new GB with the old cast & a CGI Egon ghost cameo. As long as it's done tastefully & his family's into it, it could be a really cool tribute to him.

Wildcat
07-24-2017, 10:35 PM
At first I was against a CGI Egon when I heard it but if it's something small it could work. Like if he appeared on a video screen to warn the the others of a threat or something where it wouldn't be so apparent that it was cgi.

A ghost would be ok too I guess. I remember some art people made when he passed away. One had him going into a ghost trap but that really did not make sense. The team would not capture him and put him into the containment unit.

I'm still disappointed they're going with the alternate universe thing to merge them. It's alright but I would have done that differently.

Although a long time ago before the reboot Dan Aykroyd mentioned a supposed plot for GB3 about a new team discovering alternate dimensions. It fits. It is about the supernatural.

Andrew NDB
07-25-2017, 12:26 AM
I posted in the other thread one way it could work. It could be the female Ghostbusters find out Gozer has made the whole world forget the original Ghostbusters ever existed, and gave them other civilian identities. The female Ghostbusters could snap the original Ghostbusters out of it, then they all team up to put Gozer down for good.

That or a variation of it would work nice if they don't want to get into alternate dimensions. I'd kind of rather they didn't, myself.

Wildcat
07-25-2017, 01:40 AM
I posted in the other thread one way it could work. It could be the female Ghostbusters find out Gozer has made the whole world forget the original Ghostbusters ever existed, and gave them other civilian identities. The female Ghostbusters could snap the original Ghostbusters out of it, then they all team up to put Gozer down for good.

That or a variation of it would work nice if they don't want to get into alternate dimensions. I'd kind of rather they didn't, myself.Ya I remember. I said the government erased people's minds but I like your way better.

I'm not against alternate dimensions. They fit with the series. The reason I'm against the use for this situation is I don't like that the original GB and new GB do not exist in the same world.

I feel it discredits both. As in "you're not good enough so we're making you into an alternate universe".

I know it's Paul Feig's fault for not making it some kinda continuation but they could try a different way to connect them. It's not that hard. I guess it's up to Ivan Reitman or Dan Aykroyd. They control GhostCorps.

snake
07-25-2017, 02:36 AM
I would incorporate Egon's death into the movie rather than use a CGI Egon, unless it would appear in a flashback scene.

Andrew NDB
07-25-2017, 10:10 AM
Ya I remember. I said the government erased people's minds but I like your way better.

I'm not against alternate dimensions. They fit with the series. The reason I'm against the use for this situation is I don't like that the original GB and new GB do not exist in the same world.

I feel it discredits both. As in "you're not good enough so we're making you into an alternate universe".

I know it's Paul Feig's fault for not making it some kinda continuation but they could try a different way to connect them. It's not that hard. I guess it's up to Ivan Reitman or Dan Aykroyd. They control GhostCorps.

Yeah, the thing about making alternate dimensions/universes to try and reconcile things in a franchise -- and this comes up often in comics -- is that you don't actually end up doing that. You just end up compartmentalizing them and making things even more convoluted.

Vegita-San
07-25-2017, 10:16 AM

That or a variation of it would work nice if they don't want to get into alternate dimensions. I'd kind of rather they didn't, myself.

you already put far more thought and effort into something than the people who made the last movie.

ToTheNines
07-28-2017, 02:09 PM
The ATC girls are getting their own series in October.

https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC 8yMDQvMjU4L29yaWdpbmFsL0dCX0FUQ18wMV9BLmpwZz8xNTAw OTI1MzY1

I like the movie and I've loved the GB101 crossover with the original team, but I'm extremely tenuous about getting behind any GB comic that isn't by Burnham/Schoening/Delgado.

Spike Spiegel
07-28-2017, 02:21 PM

I like the movie and I've loved the GB101 crossover with the original team, but I'm extremely tenuous about getting behind any GB comic that isn't by Burnham/Schoening/Delgado.

I feel the same way.

Judging by the cover art, they're going for that "Tumblr webcomic with heavily decompressed storyline" aesthetic.

Abby and Holtzmann's facial expressions are freaking me out.

Andrew NDB
07-28-2017, 02:23 PM

Oh dear. Well, let's see how they do, flying solo.

ToTheNines
07-28-2017, 02:37 PM
I doubt it does well. GB 101 is barely even a top 300 book, and it's only on #4. It's moving 5k copies a month.

The creative team is also a handicap. Kelly Thompson is horrible. Judging by her try at Ghostbusters: Deviations, she might not have even ever watched the original movie. Plus she managed to crap the bed when given the chance to write Kate Bishop in her own Hawkeye ongoing. A shame, as she's perhaps my favorite Marvel character (at least as written by Matt Fraction).

Corin Howell isn't bad, but that issue of GB International she did put me to sleep.

Waltz is still editing, that's the only hope at this point.

Vegita-San
07-28-2017, 02:58 PM
hmm... if IDW puts their D team on it....I wonder if that shows what they really think of the movie itself.

My hope is sony is still forcing this on them.

Candy Kappa
07-28-2017, 03:08 PM
I really enjoy Thompson, so I'll check out her ACT series.

ToTheNines
07-28-2017, 03:11 PM
I really enjoy Thompson, so I'll check out her ACT series.

What can you recommend of hers?

Andrew NDB
07-28-2017, 03:19 PM
My hope is sony is still forcing this on them.

I don't think Sony has any way to do that. I do think that IDW is well aware that the controversy of the female Ghostbusters and figures a bit of controversy might translate into comic sales. I don't, however, expect readers' curiosity about the crossover to extend to, "Now I really want to read their new solo series."

Not at all. But I suppose there's no harm in them trying.

Spike Spiegel
07-28-2017, 03:21 PM
Their world as portrayed in the movie was not very lived in or fleshed out.

The writer of the comic should have a lot of creative freedom in that regard. And hopefully, the characters will actually have personalities...

Candy Kappa
07-28-2017, 03:22 PM
What can you recommend of hers?

Jem and the Holograms

ToTheNines
07-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Jem and the Holograms

I knew I knew her name from something else. I'd been meaning to check that out due to Sophie Campbell's involvement, and the colors always look spectacular.

Candy Kappa
07-28-2017, 03:38 PM
I haven't read A-Force but I've hard good things about the stuff she's worked on up to CWII, but then it suffers from even meddling.

Vegita-San
07-28-2017, 07:19 PM
I don't think Sony has any way to do that. I do think that IDW is well aware that the controversy of the female Ghostbusters and figures a bit of controversy might translate into comic sales. I don't, however, expect readers' curiosity about the crossover to extend to, "Now I really want to read their new solo series."

Not at all. But I suppose there's no harm in them trying.

def not with me. i checked out the crossover HOPING to find the ATC FB's likeable. Nope. same tone as the movie and i havn't bought an issue since they actually teamed up.

3(?)

Spike Spiegel
07-28-2017, 08:58 PM
I went and checked out that "Deviations" comic (about a timeline where they never crossed the streams), and I actually thought it was pretty funny.

The absurd humor, alongside the apocalyptic theme and solid character moments, made it feel like an authentic Ghostbusters experience.

I've never read any of Kelly Thompson's stuff before, but that issue left a good impression.

Andrew NDB
08-10-2017, 12:12 AM
Fantastic Plinkett video on the 2016 Ghostbusters movie.

AHUV8QLpEAc

Autbot_Benz
08-10-2017, 12:23 AM

AHUV8QLpEAc

ya I watched that last night it was fantastic. Really ripped Paul Feig a good one

Wildcat
08-10-2017, 12:58 AM
I've never seen any of that person's videos but an hour (ok 57 mins) just to say how much it sucks (which I assume is the majority of the video) is pretty much the definition of hating. It's a year later.

and that "funny" voice is awful. Does he use it for everything?

snake
08-10-2017, 01:39 AM
I've never seen any of that person's videos but an hour (ok 57 mins) just to say how much it sucks (which I assume is the majority of the video) is pretty much the definition of hating. It's a year later.

It's satire packed with legitimate criticism.

Cryomancer
08-10-2017, 04:32 AM

The voice is only for these specific (Plinkett) videos / other stuff with the same character. The other stuff on the channel is pretty drastically different. I'd suggest giving Best of the Worst a try!

snake
08-10-2017, 07:06 AM
The voice is only for these specific (Plinkett) videos / other stuff with the same character. The other stuff on the channel is pretty drastically different. I'd suggest giving Best of the Worst a try!

BOTW and Chinese food is some of the most fun I've had in my life.

Vegita-San
08-10-2017, 07:55 AM

oy..

believe it or not, people are allowed to dislike stuff. just like people are allowed to like stuff and this DESERVES to be disliked from top to bottom.

I'm personally glad people are not afraid to hate on it still. the entire production is a sham that should never have happened.

raph27
08-11-2017, 06:44 PM

It's satire packed with legitimate criticism.

Exactly what snake said. It's both meant to be funny and point out legitimate problems with the movie. Some movies are just so terrible that you need that long of a video to list and define all the things that went wrong. His reviews of the Star Wars prequels are great.

Wildcat
08-12-2017, 12:41 AM
Wow quoted 4 times. I'm flattered.

Seriously though all legitimate complaints have already been addressed since well, 2014. The rest is just hating for the sake of it. It's obvious because no other "bad" movie has gotten this much attention.

Vegita-San
08-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Batman V Superman, Suisicde Squad....The Force Awakens, need i go on?

just another in a run of bad movies lately that never should have gotten made the way they did. people, for whatever reason, just get their pants in a wad over this one. oh, those poor, poor, womens. someone protect them from the evil!

or something.

Sumac
08-12-2017, 04:56 PM
TFA is a bad movie? LOL.

raph27
08-12-2017, 07:52 PM
It's obvious because no other "bad" movie has gotten this much attention.

You underestimate how much the Internet still continues to sh*t on Spider-Man 3, despite it coming out a decade ago. (I'm not saying that movie doesn't deserve it.)

On that line of thought, TASM2 bashing still continues, especially now being compared to Homecoming.

sdp
08-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Ghostbusters Answer The Call is an ok movie that gets too much hate for stupid reasons, mostly angry fanboys and yes misogyny might be a part of it as well.

TFA might not be a bad movie but it's a huge disappointment and easily worse than the hated prequels. It may have higher highs and not have lower lows than the prequels but it's so bland, boring, disappointing that it's easily my least favorite episode.

The internet can be such a hive mentality and if an opinion becomes popular to share then everyone thinks the same even if the large majority have no real experience with it. Example: Everyone is a mirage TMNT fan and was a reader since the beginning :lol:

Sumac
08-12-2017, 08:41 PM
TFA might not be a bad movie but it's a huge disappointment and easily worse than the hated prequels. It may have higher highs and not have lower lows than the prequels but it's so bland, boring, disappointing that it's easily my least favorite episode.
I take bland over bad any day, thank you.:tsmile:

Wildcat
08-13-2017, 03:07 AM
You underestimate how much the Internet still continues to sh*t on Spider-Man 3, despite it coming out a decade ago. (I'm not saying that movie doesn't deserve it.)

On that line of thought, TASM2 bashing still continues, especially now being compared to Homecoming.Maybe. I've seen some criticism for those Spider-man movies. I've seen more for TFA.

Hating on stuff is so stupid. It makes you come off obnoxious and hard to take seriously in other things.

You don't see people really-liking stuff for the sake of it. It'd be weird (and funny). There might be an odd few but it's not a norm like hating. Why are naysayers the more vocal group?

I've never had the desire to bash or hate something. I just don't think anything deserves that level of hostility or the effort it takes to do so. It's just movies/TV. Stick to what you like.

Vegita-San
08-13-2017, 05:37 AM
if everyone thought alike,the world would be a rather boring place.
It's perfectly Ok to dislike things. it's also perfectly ok to constantly dislike things. Just don't do it 24/7 and you'll be fine.

start 'hating' on stuff. you'll find it freeing.

Shark_Blade
08-13-2017, 05:53 AM

AHUV8QLpEAc

The reviewer detailed out things what he didn't like pretty nicely.

The movie could have been better, sure; but I do enjoy the amazing visuals.

snake
08-13-2017, 06:59 AM
I take bland over bad any day, thank you.:tsmile:

They're 2 sides of the same coin.

Sumac
08-13-2017, 11:35 AM
start 'hating' on stuff. you'll find it freeing.
Hating is a borderline obsession, which is neither healthy, nor logical.

They're 2 sides of the same coin.
No.
There is major difference between being offensively bad and just bland.

As for TFA - I liked it. Well, some parts of it, at least. It does not have enough character to stand on its own, but it miles better than prequels, by virtue of not having whiny Aniken (sic?).

Vegita-San
08-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Hating is a borderline obsession, which is neither healthy, nor logical.

neither is liking everything constantly. that gets one venus demilo.

Sumac
08-13-2017, 03:04 PM
neither is liking everything constantly. that gets one venus demilo.
There is difference between liking something very much, being indifferent and actively hating.

And what Venus has to do with it? It's not like anyone asked for her creation.

Andrew NDB
08-13-2017, 04:20 PM
Ghostbusters Answer The Call is an ok movie that gets too much hate for stupid reasons, mostly angry fanboys and yes misogyny might be a part of it as well.

That's been disproved. With science.

UWROBiX1eSc

Vegita-San
08-13-2017, 07:31 PM
That's been disproved. With science.

UWROBiX1eSc

as well as common sense. don't plants use the misogyny excuse anyway, andrew? ;o)

what is it about this one particular G-D movie that causes everyone to go on the offensive if someone doesn't like it? Very odd similarities in the way people like to defend it too. they almost NEVER actually say what they like about the damned thing.

Allio
08-13-2017, 08:18 PM
Sadly we live in a world where people will attack for not having the same opinion

So add that to a group that supposedly wants peace and any form of negativity is increased ten fold. Then of course there are those that uses such titles as "love and peace" as a cover as they do the attacking. It's a horrible cycle.

To;dr: humans suck

Sumac
08-14-2017, 12:25 AM
To;dr: humans suck
No.
Some of the humans, yes, but such generalizations borders on stupid infantile nihilism.

Powder
08-14-2017, 03:39 AM
Stupid infantile nihilism is a refined taste, though.

Sumac
08-14-2017, 09:49 AM
Stupid infantile nihilism is a refined taste, though.
Like, generalizations and labeling of everything. :trolleye:

Allio
08-14-2017, 10:07 AM
welcome to human nature, it's what we do.

Sumac
08-14-2017, 11:19 AM
welcome to human nature, it's what we do.
Pretentious statements?
Not all humans doing it.

Vegita-San
08-14-2017, 02:05 PM
Then of course there are those that uses such titles as "love and peace" as a cover as they do the attacking. I

Oh, I just LOVE those people. there's one on another forum that is a master of it....also possible disney plant. They are masters at tricking people to their side...while appearing to be 'positive'..

ToTheNines
08-15-2017, 04:38 PM
I went and checked out that "Deviations" comic (about a timeline where they never crossed the streams), and I actually thought it was pretty funny.

The absurd humor, alongside the apocalyptic theme and solid character moments, made it feel like an authentic Ghostbusters experience.

I've never read any of Kelly Thompson's stuff before, but that issue left a good impression.

You're kidding me. I just pulled it out of the long box, since you and I seem to have similar taste most of the time, but it definitely is a stinker.

The art is good and she actually writes the main cast well, but she took the Stay Puft silliness WAY too far. Really lost me on the poop joke, and the spongebob anachronism.