PDA

View Full Version : Official Episode Discussion S5 Ep 07: Yojimbo

Vicky82
07-23-2017, 01:36 AM
The Turtles are transported to an alternate dimension where they meet the rabbit samurai, Miyamoto Usagi.

The episode is now up on ITunes

Discuss away.

Redworld96
07-23-2017, 01:44 AM
The opening has changed for Usagi's Tale:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/19907650cbdc9f88a322e8a34ddec294/tumblr_otj9feqbxk1rmhk25o3_540.png
https://68.media.tumblr.com/bc5f0f6d7f5a3b57855a8fd0ded3b2ba/tumblr_otj9feqbxk1rmhk25o1_540.png
https://68.media.tumblr.com/a8562bbecd96940a68edbcd9204e6034/tumblr_otj9feqbxk1rmhk25o2_540.png

Ninjinister
07-23-2017, 02:02 AM
Feckin Microsoft doesn't even have When Worlds Collide.

I'm never buying a season pass for a tv show again. Amazon and Sony pulled this same kind of garbage but at I think the longest they ever took was 5 days.

Vicky82
07-23-2017, 02:53 AM
Awesome episode, so intense.

Wow that certainly was a cliffhanger. :lol:

It was weird that the turtles didn't appear until 9 minutes of the episode though but it was great that Usagi had lots of focus.

I have a feeling the turtles are still under Jei's spell, coming out of there brainwashing by getting knocked out, seemed too easy.

Powder
07-23-2017, 05:22 AM
Oh man, this is even better than I expected, & I say that having had very high hopes. You can really tell how much love & respect for Stan's work & all that inspired it went into this. Did I detect an air of homage in the musical cues, to that of an older TMNT film? Kintaro is really funny. It's great how he's written to be an annoying character, yet doesn't annoy the viewer. Not so easy to pull off (as evidenced via Timmy). Stellar visuals & an awesome take on Usagi. Can't wait for the rest.

It is such a work of art, this series. Bittersweet how amazing the season is. Makes me doubly sad it's at its end. But they are going out on a high note, no doubt.

TigerClaw
07-23-2017, 06:47 AM
Looking forward to the episode, since it'll air at 9am EST here.

TigerClaw
07-23-2017, 07:03 AM
Here we go!

TigerClaw
07-23-2017, 07:36 AM
I thought it was a great episode, its finally great to see Usagi in full 3D CGI glory, The action was also good, they should do an Usagi Yojimbo series in this style.

Vicky82
07-23-2017, 07:39 AM
It looked like Mikey killed 3 evil samurai solders during the horse chase scene :o

matteso586
07-23-2017, 07:42 AM
The part where Usagi wandered around the decimated village, it gave me Samurai Jack vibes.

I almost thought that Jei was voiced by John DiMaggio.

Looks like that bear will think that the Turtles and Usagi are dead.

myconius
07-23-2017, 08:35 AM
it was really awesome to see "written by Stan Sakai" in the opening credits.

i can tell Stan Sakai really had a lot of respect for Akira Kurosawa's film 'Yojimbo', having named Usagi's Lord - 'Lord Mifune' after Toshiro Mifune the actor who stared in the film.

http://asianmoviepulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/post/yojimbo-a-timeless-classic/yojim1.jpg

Fang Wolf
07-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Wow that certainly was a cliffhanger. :lol:

https://s26.postimg.org/m26n6bg95/Screenshot_2017-07-23_16.31.30.png
Yes, you can say that it became a cliffhanger....

--Will they survive or be killed on the ground?
--We will know that in the next episode.

--Awesome Episode--

Vicky82
07-23-2017, 08:40 AM
https://s26.postimg.org/m26n6bg95/Screenshot_2017-07-23_16.31.30.png
Yes, you can say that it became a cliffhanger....
--Will they survive or be killed on the ground?

--Awesome Episode--

Obviously survive, :lol:

Well probably except the horses.

I noticed a really big tree when they fell, so they probably will manage to get to it to save themselves.

drewizzle88
07-23-2017, 10:04 AM
Probably my favorite episode to date that wasn't a season ending episode. Usagi looks so awesome, love his voice as well. I was afraid I was going to hate Kintaro but he's pretty dang funny, really excited for the next episode.

Aaronardo
07-23-2017, 10:17 AM
it was really awesome to see "written by Stan Sakai" in the opening credits.

Same here. This episode was excellent. The direction was very good, all the characters were written very well, the action scenes were particular standouts. The dialogue felt a bit off at times, but most of the time they did a good job. The visual storytelling was very good, something I didn't expect from this show, especially this late in.

I don't really have much else to say. It was a very very good episode, easily the best of the season thus far, and I'm interested to see what happens in the next two.

Autbot_Benz
07-23-2017, 12:05 PM
That was awesome Usagi is cool. also thanks to Redworld96 for having the episode already up. Damn Cartoon sites take theretime.

neatoman
07-23-2017, 12:17 PM
That was an Usagi story alright... Not really sure what to say, it's more or less what I expected.

CyberCubed
07-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Enjoyed it a lot, but Kintaro is strangely really annoying to me and I usually don't mind underage child characters in cartoons. I think it must be the VA, he his voice gets really high pitched and squeaky at times. Eh, oh well, it's a minor complaint. Bit disappointing.

I love this portrayal of Usagi, his voice is deeper than expected though. He seems a lot older and more competent than the usual Usagi. Really liked Jei too, although it's weird to me this is his and Usagi's first meeting. Jei also doesn't take the little girl with him like in the comics. I also loved the first 10 or so minutes of the episode had no Turtles at all, it was great to immediately cut to Usagi.

Lastly the horseback riding/battle scene was nice and something we never really got in this show before, unless I'm forgetting something, so it was nice to see.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-23-2017, 02:19 PM
Loved everything about the episode. Even the little things like the atmosphere and the dinosaurs in Usagi's world all add up.

Can't wait to see what happens next week.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
07-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Loved everything about the episode. Even the little things like the atmosphere and the dinosaurs in Usagi's world all add up.

Can't wait to see what happens next week.

Is the idea of dinosaurs on Miyamoto Usagi's Earth from the Usagi Yojimbo comics?

CyberCubed
07-23-2017, 03:08 PM
Is the idea of dinosaurs on Miyamoto Usagi's Earth from the Usagi Yojimbo comics?

Tokage lizards aren't dinosaurs. They've been around since the very first Usagi comic.

myconius
07-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Same here. This episode was excellent. The direction was very good, all the characters were written very well, the action scenes were particular standouts. The dialogue felt a bit off at times, but most of the time they did a good job. The visual storytelling was very good, something I didn't expect from this show, especially this late in.

I don't really have much else to say. It was a very very good episode, easily the best of the season thus far, and I'm interested to see what happens in the next two.

yeah, the action and cinematography were fantastic!
this was probably one of my most favorite episodes of this series since Tales of the Yokai.

it'll watch so much better once all the episodes are out, and it can all be viewed continuously.

Jester
07-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Loved it. Wish it had been released all in one like the last one.

Did they make a Coming Out of Their Shells reference?

Powder
07-23-2017, 06:56 PM
Did they make a Coming Out of Their Shells reference?

Did they? Enlighten us!

Jester
07-23-2017, 07:06 PM
Did they? Enlighten us!
I'm probably just reading way too much into Donatello saying that Evil Blind Wolf Dude could, "Count on us."

ToTheNines
07-23-2017, 07:19 PM
****kng kino. Too 5 episode of the series. So glad this show was able to make this happen.

I'm probably just reading way too much into Donatello saying that Evil Blind Wolf Dude could, "Count on us."

Probably a coincidence. I might likewise be reaching, but it seemed to me like they were referencing the first Usagi crossover (The Crossing by Laird) when the turtles came out of the water, then Leo and Usagi had a duel in the stream.

Jester
07-23-2017, 07:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XcxBeyV.png

YEAH! THAT'S WHAT THEY TOLD ME!

TurtleTitan97
07-23-2017, 08:24 PM
Hands down one of the best episodes of the series. I love this take on Usagi and Jei.

Anyone else wish they'd make a spin off featuring Usagi?

Ashwolf
07-23-2017, 08:40 PM

im not trying to encourage anything but there was also leos line about "how they were experts at getting close to ppl"

drag0nfeathers
07-23-2017, 08:52 PM
The first 10 minutes of this almost felt like a movie. Loved this! I know we would never get it, but a Usagi spin off would be amazing! Can't wait to see the conclusion!

PApagreg
07-23-2017, 09:16 PM
There were a lot of thing that this episode clicked with me. I like how we start with Usagi's perspective and get a taste of not only him but also his world without the need for exposition for the first half, I like the atmosphere and environments(like Mycounis said it gave off an Akira Kurosawa vibe), and the fight choreography made me nostalgic for the human Bradford and Xever fights. There were some negatives however, I didn't care for Kintaro(I was hoping someone put that pug down old yeller style) and I thought it was kinda strange how the demon fox guy pretended to be a frail old man when he was brainwashing the turtles.

All in all good episode

evan2000
07-24-2017, 01:18 AM
This episode actually felt like Usagi's own show, with the turtles guest-staring in it, much like how TNM turtles crossovered in the Power Rangers in Space episode (the premise was also the same, with the turtles being initially brainwashed by the enemy and all). Although, this time it's actually the other way round :trazz:

Sumo Kuma looked like an Ursaring :tlol:

Did anyone notice that Raph was left out (intentional?) as the rest of them rode off the cliff at the very end?

MarsicornYT
07-24-2017, 01:43 AM
Did anyone notice that Raph was left out (intentional?) as the rest of them rode off the cliff at the very end?

Oh wow I didn't realise till I went back and watched the last scene just then. Maybe he's the one who saves them or maybe he gets captured and they don't realise till they're safe.

There's also the theory that maybe the turtles are still being mind controlled by the wolf guy and he just temporarily disabled it and then maybe took Raph cause he's the best fighter?

Vicky82
07-24-2017, 01:57 AM
This episode actually felt like Usagi's own show, with the turtles guest-staring in it, much like how TNM turtles crossovered in the Power Rangers in Space episode (the premise was also the same, with the turtles being initially brainwashed by the enemy and all). Although, this time it's actually the other way round :trazz:

Sumo Kuma looked like an Ursaring :tlol:

Raph was there when they jumped off the cliff. he is sharing a horse with Mikey.

Aaronardo
07-24-2017, 08:44 AM
I know we would never get it, but a Usagi spin off would be amazing!

Be careful what you wish for. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWOvcIYd7IU) :lol:

marcelangelo
07-24-2017, 09:29 AM
Be careful what you wish for. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWOvcIYd7IU) :lol:

this was a produced pilot for a never produced space usagi cartoon in the early nineties which stan sakai was involved in.unfortunatelly it never got its chance because the people with the money were frightened of failure with the demise of the bucky o'hare series shortly before.
these were just unfortunate circumstances, but maybe it had to be so and now there is another opening for an animated show of usagi in the waiting?:)would love it if ciro and everyone involved were into continuing with an original usagi series based on the comics after this turtles show is through:)
I have a feeling this moment in usagi's history is a very special one...

one more thing on space usagi: it is a multipart story spin off comic by stan sakai revolving around usagis descendant in the distant future. it was published by mirage studios during the early ninties and is being reprinted in full in the upcomming USAGI YOJIMBO: LEGENDS tpb that is seeing release by dark horse comics soon.check it out, as with everything usagi this is a must read.really exciting and fun and beautiful ideas and illustrations...(I vividly remember the giant space flowing turtle)

victory_angel
07-24-2017, 09:56 AM
this was a produced pilot for a never produced space usagi cartoon in the early nineties which stan sakai was involved in.unfortunatelly it never got its chance because the people with the money were frightened of failure with the demise of the bucky o'hare series shortly before.
these were just unfortunate circumstances, but maybe it had to be so and now there is another opening for an animated show of usagi in the waiting?:)would love it if ciro and everyone involved were into continuing with an original usagi series based on the comics after this turtles show is through:)
I have a feeling this moment in usagi's history is a very special one...

one more thing on space usagi: it is a multipart story spin off comic by stan sakai revolving around usagis descendant in the distant future. it was published by mirage studios during the early ninties and is being reprinted in full in the upcomming USAGI YOJIMBO: LEGENDS tpb that is seeing release by dark horse comics soon.check it out, as with everything usagi this is a must read.really exciting and fun and beautiful ideas and illustrations...(I vividly remember the giant space flowing turtle)

An entire movie based on Usagi Yojimbo would be awesome. Maybe not as a live action piece, but more a CG cartoon. Dreamworks would be a good company to do it since it's likely to attract the Kung fu panda fandom and you can theatrically say that even though they are different franchises they could occur in the same universe.

CyberCubed
07-24-2017, 11:25 AM
It kind of shocks me that after 30 years, and Usagi's exposure through TMNT, that Stan Sakai never was able to launch a single Usagi cartoon.

It feels like something that should have happened years ago in the 90's or 2000's but never did.

oldmanwinters
07-24-2017, 11:29 AM
Anybody got a screencap of when Usagi put the bone in Chosen One dog boy's mouth. That was hilarious. :tlol:

neatoman
07-24-2017, 11:32 AM
It kind of shocks me that after 30 years, and Usagi's exposure through TMNT, that Stan Sakai never was able to launch a single Usagi cartoon.

It feels like something that should have happened years ago in the 90's or 2000's but never did.

The idea I get is that much like Bill Watterson, Stan doesn't want some toy company or a producer wrestling creative control over Usagi away from him, if that's the case it is noble sentiment and should be respected.

matteso586
07-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Who else got some Samurai Jack vibes just after the opening sequence?

FredWolfLeonardo
07-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Who else got some Samurai Jack vibes just after the opening sequence?

I definetly did.

CyberCubed
07-24-2017, 01:56 PM
Samurai Jack wasn't anything more than a series inspired by old samurai films/movies/cartoons.

Usagi began in 1984, so it's a shame to see the series not get much spotlight over Samurai Jack. Usagi has nearly 200 comics, and I've read nearly all of them in collections Dark Horse has put out.

Vicky82
07-24-2017, 02:35 PM
How did they get away with this.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/e2a03a4558f24ec2ab99a190e2511516/tumblr_inline_otm3nbhSZK1sz1u74_540.png

It's a severed hand!!!!!!!!!! :o:o:o

I thought it was a glove or a metal gauntlet at first until I paused it.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-24-2017, 03:17 PM
How did they get away with this.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/e2a03a4558f24ec2ab99a190e2511516/tumblr_inline_otm3nbhSZK1sz1u74_540.png

It's a severed hand!!!!!!!!!! :o:o:o

I thought it was a glove or a metal gauntlet at first until I paused it.

They got away with Tiger Claw's severed arm as well. This is arguably the goriest of the turtle shows.

marcelangelo
07-24-2017, 03:26 PM
actually, usagi has even already MORE than 200 issues of comics
#141 has been the official 200th issue, since the numbering 141 only counted the dark horse comics and neglected the fantagraphics and mirage studios run.
not wanting to nerd around here but I love usagi and am happy for him:)
god, I wish I could see that new episode finally!has anyone got an idea where I could see it?nobody seems to have uploaded it anywhere I usually watched this series..

IndigoErth
07-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Nice! The action, animation, direction, and environmental design is pretty awesome.

Only thing that bugged me is I was kind of unconsciously expecting Usagi to just sound much like the 2003 version so a deeper voice feels strange. lol. (Also never seeing what the Turtles were even up to prior to being summoned there.) The pug kid is kind of hilarious though. The kid who voiced him is quite good at what he does!

Vicky82
07-24-2017, 03:41 PM
Nice! The action, animation, direction, and environmental design is pretty awesome.

Only thing that bugged me is I was kind of unconsciously expecting Usagi to just sound much like the 2003 version so a deeper voice feels strange. lol. (Also never seeing what the Turtles were even up to prior to being summoned there.) The pug kid is kind of hilarious though. The kid who voiced him is quite good at what he does!

You could tell what the turtles were doing when they appeared.

Leo in the Dojo
Donnie on his computer, in his lab
Mikey eating pizza, probably in the living room watching tv.
Raph asleep, probably in his room

It didn't bother me because the episode was mostly focused on Usagi and needed character building. If we saw the turtles first and getting summoned then people would moan that we didn't get enough Usagi.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
07-24-2017, 04:15 PM
I'm a die hard Usagi fan so I loved it hardcore. Hope like crazy that Gen shows up. Stan Sakai is such a master storyteller. I'm finally getting to meet him in a couple of months at Baltimore Comic Con and I absolutely can not wait.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
07-24-2017, 04:20 PM
Hands down one of the best episodes of the series. I love this take on Usagi and Jei.

Anyone else wish they'd make a spin off featuring Usagi?

It would be awesome if they could do that but if you read the comics you know that Stan Sakai has a hard time just writing single issues and he has complete control of the property and he could never meet the demands of a show schedule. It would be awesome if he could but I'm sure it's just a pipe dream. Usagi 160 is the last actual comic he did and it came out in like December if that tells you anything.

Vicky82
07-24-2017, 04:21 PM
I'm a die hard Usagi fan so I loved it hardcore. Hope like crazy that Gen shows up.

I guess you didn't notice Gen in Usagi's backstory

https://68.media.tumblr.com/ae207a05924f1a3702466df7fda27569/tumblr_otm8qyUtu41ts0huyo1_540.png

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
07-24-2017, 04:27 PM

Yeah they're in the comics. If you've never read the comics I absolutely can not recommend them enough. As awesome as this episode was, the comics still put it to shame. They're extremely immersive and cinematic and especially for a black and white comic. Also they're loaded with tons of Japanese history and lore and other great characters. Stan Sakai is one of the greatest storytellers alive. He's like a Carl Barks and Don Rosa type storyteller where he uses actual history as sort of a backdrop for his stories and creates excellent characters.

neatoman
07-24-2017, 04:29 PM

https://68.media.tumblr.com/ae207a05924f1a3702466df7fda27569/tumblr_otm8qyUtu41ts0huyo1_540.png

It's a little strange seeing him in a flashback with his horn already chopped off. I guess they did that so he'd be recognisable but still.

Vicky82
07-24-2017, 04:34 PM
They got away with Tiger Claw's severed arm as well. This is arguably the goriest of the turtle shows.

Yeah it's becoming like Game of Thrones :lol::P

Ashwolf
07-24-2017, 05:13 PM

honestly, i dont mind the cast putting gen briefly in like that cause i find his personality in the 03 a bit grinding but then again, only going off of the 03 since i havent read the usagi comics

i sooooo wish the next promo was out already

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
07-24-2017, 05:24 PM

No I didn't see that. Maybe they will actually put him in there like in 03.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
07-24-2017, 05:25 PM
honestly, i dont mind the cast putting gen briefly in like that cause i find his personality in the 03 a bit grinding but then again, only going off of the 03 since i havent read the usagi comics

i sooooo wish the next promo was out already

Dude. Read them yesterday!

marcelangelo
07-24-2017, 05:25 PM
It would be awesome if they could do that but if you read the comics you know that Stan Sakai has a hard time just writing single issues and he has complete control of the property and he could never meet the demands of a show schedule. It would be awesome if he could but I'm sure it's just a pipe dream. Usagi 160 is the last actual comic he did and it came out in like December if that tells you anything.

I am sorry, but Usagi's comic having a break (the second time in over thirty years one must add) has nothing to do with stan's abillities to work in time, my friend. the break came about because he took a time out in order to work on two other projects (one being a tribute book to another comic character and one being the idw turtles/usagi crossover book that is coming out now. and stan also said on the usagi yojimbo dojo (the official fan website of usagi) that the turtles project was formerly supposed to be much longer even, but the guys helming that decided to cut it short).

if one was to talk about stans speed, it is incredible if you think about it, know the process and understand comics. he writes, draws and inks 10 issues a year SINGLE HANDEDLY.that is a mind blowing accomplishment actually.

CyberCubed
07-24-2017, 05:35 PM
Stan Sakai is basically like a manga artist. He writes and draws every single Usagi comic...for 30 years. It's not like western comics or even TMNT comics where the creators Kevin/Peter stopped drawing/writing issues themselves fairly early on.

Had Stan lived in Japan when he created Usagi, it'd probably have a long running anime series by now with over 700+ episodes and a long running manga. Usagi started in 1984 the same time Dragonball did, can you imagine if he created it in Japan instead of in the west?

marcelangelo
07-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Stan Sakai is basically like a manga artist. He writes and draws every single Usagi comic...for 30 years. It's not like western comics or even TMNT comics where the creators Kevin/Peter stopped drawing/writing issues themselves fairly early on.

Had Stan lived in Japan when he created Usagi, it'd probably have a long running anime series by now with over 700+ episodes and a long running manga. Usagi started in 1984 the same time Dragonball did, can you imagine if he created it in Japan instead of in the west?

that would have been incredible if there was such a long running usagi anime.but then again, I think part of what may make usagi even better is that role of stan and his creation as sort of an outcast of that country that he is so meticulously researching and writing about. do you know what I mean? it doesn't really play any role in all this whatsoever, but knowing that NO outsider, that means no foreigner, ever has had a commercial breakthrough in japan-even if usagi is such a love letter to all the country'S history and soul-...I don't know that makes him somewhat of an underdog in my head:)..a sort of a lone wolf hahaha

IndigoErth
07-24-2017, 06:34 PM
You could tell what the turtles were doing when they appeared.

Leo in the Dojo
Donnie on his computer, in his lab
Mikey eating pizza, probably in the living room watching tv.
Raph asleep, probably in his room

It didn't bother me because the episode was mostly focused on Usagi and needed character building. If we saw the turtles first and getting summoned then people would moan that we didn't get enough Usagi.
Still would have benefited showing this as an interruption to their lives if it just showed a shot of each of them quietly at home doing their thing before being so rudely pulled into a foreign dimension. Would have taken mere seconds away from the Usagi focus. (Unfortunately we also don't all always get to watch it on a tv or other large enough screen and have the opportunity to study it...)

But thank you for Vickysplaining how my want for it is wrong.

tmntsplinterfan1997
07-24-2017, 07:39 PM
I watched the episode and it was great!

But do you know what's bad? It ended with a cliffhanger. The turtles, Usagi and Kintaro falling off the cliff after the horse battle between Sumo Kuma, his samurais, Miyamoto Usagi and the turtles.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
07-24-2017, 08:38 PM
I am sorry, but Usagi's comic having a break (the second time in over thirty years one must add) has nothing to do with stan's abillities to work in time, my friend. the break came about because he took a time out in order to work on two other projects (one being a tribute book to another comic character and one being the idw turtles/usagi crossover book that is coming out now. and stan also said on the usagi yojimbo dojo (the official fan website of usagi) that the turtles project was formerly supposed to be much longer even, but the guys helming that decided to cut it short).

if one was to talk about stans speed, it is incredible if you think about it, know the process and understand comics. he writes, draws and inks 10 issues a year SINGLE HANDEDLY.that is a mind blowing accomplishment actually.

I agree totally that he's a workaholic but he just has too much on his plate to be able to add a show to the mix as well. He's my favorite artist/creator on the planet.

FearlessLeader
07-24-2017, 08:40 PM
I'm so impressed by this episode! It was so on point with Usagi and as others have pointed out the obvious love and respect for the original source material used here was so obvious and evident. I'm already completely in love with this series and it just grew by ten times more.

I'm so excited for the coming weeks and whats going to happen with this story. I really, really hope Leo and Usagi become friends because I've always enjoyed the different levels of this mutual warrior friendship in other medias. As much as Leo loves his brothers he just needs that friend who understands him and who he is on a level I don't know if anyone else does. Especially now I feel with his added responsibility to support their family this season.

I need to watch this again! :tgrin:

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
07-24-2017, 08:40 PM
that would have been incredible if there was such a long running usagi anime.but then again, I think part of what may make usagi even better is that role of stan and his creation as sort of an outcast of that country that he is so meticulously researching and writing about. do you know what I mean? it doesn't really play any role in all this whatsoever, but knowing that NO outsider, that means no foreigner, ever has had a commercial breakthrough in japan-even if usagi is such a love letter to all the country'S history and soul-...I don't know that makes him somewhat of an underdog in my head:)..a sort of a lone wolf hahaha

It's funny that you say "lone wolf" because I was thinking how awesome it would be for the Turtles to meet up with Lone Wolf and Cub as well. LOL!

victory_angel
07-24-2017, 11:25 PM
It's funny that you say "lone wolf" because I was thinking how awesome it would be for the Turtles to meet up with Lone Wolf and Cub as well. LOL!

That is likely why the turtle tots episode is called Lone Rat and Cubs.

marcelangelo
07-25-2017, 02:01 AM

hahaha, yeah it was unintentional, but it fits very well here:)
T-U-R-T-L-E-POWA, ah, now I see...yeah, adding the show to the usagi comics could be just too much;(...we needed someone who really has understanding for usagis world and well crafted storytelling who would mount most of the work, then stan could just be serving as a creative consultant perhaps?...having written that I don't know if I would find that solution a good one hahahaha..oh well, I am just so happy this episode (and the next two) exists and is really well made.

yes, victory_angel is absolutely on point here, too I think.

Vicky82
07-25-2017, 02:13 AM
Still would have benefited showing this as an interruption to their lives if it just showed a shot of each of them quietly at home doing their thing before being so rudely pulled into a foreign dimension. Would have taken mere seconds away from the Usagi focus. (Unfortunately we also don't all always get to watch it on a tv or other large enough screen and have the opportunity to study it...)

https://68.media.tumblr.com/1691ff40770e2d4ddbca4ce8b66bf83b/tumblr_inline_otkln81M3w1u81y09_540.png

I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was just explaining why the turtles just appeared out of the blue and not starting out with them.

Stan Sakai did write this episode so it's obviously the reason why there was more focus on Usagi than the turtles.

marcelangelo
07-25-2017, 02:19 AM
it could very well have been cut down for timing reasons, couldn't it?

I wanted to say that I got to see the episode last night (thanks to my helper here:)..) and loved it.
did you notice that the village from which usagi picks up kintaro is resembling closely the village in kurosawas film yojimbo?even the little tokage with the severed hand is an image taken from that movie:) (in yojimbo it was a dog)..
loved that in particular!

Powder
07-25-2017, 03:07 AM

The hell? :ohwell:

ToTheNines
07-25-2017, 05:29 AM

But why even waste seconds? We've already seen them lounging around the lair. We haven't seen Usagi's world at all. Easy decision. Also the same way it's gone down in the past with "The Crossing" and "Shades of Green".

MarsicornYT
07-25-2017, 09:01 AM
Is it possible that since the order of season 5 is messed up, one of the episodes that were meant to air before the Usagi arc ends with the turtles being teleported somewhere but we don't see where. Then in the next one (Yojimbo) it shows that it was Usagi's world that they were teleported to.

snake
07-25-2017, 09:07 AM
Is it possible that since the order of season 5 is messed up, one of the episodes that were meant to air before the Usagi arc ends with the turtles being teleported somewhere but we don't see where. Then in the next one (Yojimbo) it shows that it was Usagi's world that they were teleported to.

No. Does everything need to be shown even if it's heavily implied?

Vicky82
07-25-2017, 09:21 AM

The 2nd 80s crossover is meant to air before the Usagi arc.

Judging by this pic

https://68.media.tumblr.com/1691ff40770e2d4ddbca4ce8b66bf83b/tumblr_inline_otkln81M3w1u81y09_540.png

They were in the Lair at the time doing there own thing.

victory_angel
07-25-2017, 09:29 AM

Judging by this pic

And Raphael does accuse Donnie of working on some sort of portal thing again. But we've never seen Donnie working on or messing with dimensional portals in this storyline. The only dimentional portal thing he's used was that one portal from Dimention X and that was given to him by April.

CyberCubed
07-25-2017, 11:21 AM
Are people really having mental breakdowns over the Turtles not being shown in the lair before transported into Usagi's world? Why the hell would anyone want to see that and waste screentime out of the episode?

snake
07-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Are people really having mental breakdowns over the Turtles not being shown in the lair before transported into Usagi's world? Why the hell would anyone want to see that and waste screentime out of the episode?

They probably think Mutagen Man is a "plot hole" too.

Ninjinister
07-25-2017, 12:31 PM

The same sort of folks who wanted to boycott the show because they haven't shown the interior of Leonardo's room.

THGhost
07-25-2017, 01:11 PM
Man that was great.

My knowledge of Usagi Yojimbo consists entirely of the 80s cartoon, but I enjoyed this all the same.
Not showing the turtles for the first 8 mins of the episode. That's pretty ballsy, Nick. I'd be surprised if little kids didn't switch off due to boredom/confusion.
Does Jei remind anybody of Rahzar?
It's awesome how Nick didn't whitewash any of the Asian roles.
Can Usagi have his own show now please, Nick? :P

Kintaro is really funny. It's great how he's written to be an annoying character, yet doesn't annoy the viewer.

Speak for yourself. He annoyed the **** out of me. :lol:

The same sort of folks who wanted to boycott the show because they haven't shown the interior of Leonardo's room.

Have we never seen Leo's room?

Apparently. :roll:

neatoman
07-25-2017, 01:22 PM
My knowledge of Usagi Yojimbo consists entirely of the 80s cartoon, but I enjoyed this all the same.
Not showing the turtles for the first 8 mins of the episode. That's pretty ballsy, Nick. I'd be surprised if little kids didn't switch off due to boredom/confusion.
Does Jei remind anybody of Rahzar?
Can Usagi have his own show now please, Nick? :P

Cool that you were? The FW take on the character is pretty terrible, so I don't see how anyone could see this as a downgrade from that particular version in the first place.
That's pretty standard for Usagi/TMNT crossovers.
Jei is an established Usagi character, I don't immedietly think of anything other than Jei when I see Jei.
Again, I guess that's cool? Given that it's a cartoon and none of the characters are human, I don't think anyone would have cared in the first place.
I don't want Nickelodeon to have that kind of control over Usagi. TMNT might be doomed to spawn toy marketing vehicles, Usagi has not been subjected to that and deserves to be treated with more respect.

CyberCubed
07-25-2017, 01:26 PM
Cool that you were? The FW take on the character is pretty terrible, so I don't see how anyone could see this as a downgrade from that particular version in the first place.

LOL, what? The original toon version of Usagi was pretty close to how his character is. How is it, "terrible?" Because he was a foreign person in a new world he was unfamiliar with?

Ninjinister
07-25-2017, 01:47 PM

Why does everyone assume kids are f***ing numbskulls.

Have we never seen Leo's room?

Apparently not. I don't keep track of such things but there was an episode this season where he opened the door a crack but you couldn't see inside and people here LOST THEIR S**T

snake
07-25-2017, 02:05 PM
I can only imagine how they reacted over at Turtlepedia. :lol:

neatoman
07-25-2017, 02:07 PM
LOL, what? The original toon version of Usagi was pretty close to how his character is. How is it, "terrible?" Because he was a foreign person in a new world he was unfamiliar with?

It was a pretty bog standard fish out of water cliché, it was an idiotic use of the character. The episode just depicts him being unfamiliar with the world around him but what's worse is that he showed no ability what so ever to adapt to his surroundings, even going so far as to confuse a gimmick restaurant for the enslavement of rabbit-kind. I don't see Usagi in that episode, I don't even see a poor interpretation of Usagi, it feels like some lazy attempt to write Usagi based on a single sentence description (like a package blurb for example).

And they couldn't even get his name right! That's the most damning evidence to the FW crew were not familiar Usagi before putting him in the show, he was probably just another action figure that needed marketing to them.

I don't want to rant about it but while I'm on the subject, **** the "person from the past completely misunderstanding the modern world" version of the "fish out of water cliché", it's the worst version of it!

"Oh no I don't understand what a [modern electric appliance] is, I'm not going to make an effort to figure out what it is or even be rational around it,
I'm just going to assume it's black magic and/or continue to be perplexed by it".

It's not funny because it makes the assumption people in the past had no reasoning skills, there's no logical connection there. Even if it was funny,
it's the same thing almost every time someone tries it, it's been done to death.

Powder
07-25-2017, 02:10 PM
I enjoy the Fred Wolf Usagi episodes for what they are, but yeah, they totally bastardized him back then.

CyberCubed
07-25-2017, 03:15 PM
It was a pretty bog standard fish out of water cliché, it was an idiotic use of the character. The episode just depicts him being unfamiliar with the world around him but what's worse is that he showed no ability what so ever to adapt to his surroundings, even going so far as to confuse a gimmick restaurant for the enslavement of rabbit-kind.

Usagi's entire world consists of animal people, why wouldn't he be confused when he sees some people dressed up as rabbits forced to work? Him trying to free them from servitude is exactly what Usagi would do in the comics.

Likewise other aspects of Usagi in those eps is Shredder using his honor bound status as a way to trick him, and besides that he stayed with the Japanese man and had to stop that dragon.

neatoman
07-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Usagi's entire world consists of animal people, why wouldn't he be confused when he sees some people dressed up as rabbits forced to work? Him trying to free them from servitude is exactly what Usagi would do in the comics.

Likewise other aspects of Usagi in those eps is Shredder using his honor bound status as a way to trick him, and besides that he stayed with the Japanese man and had to stop that dragon.

1. His world does have humans, he should not be that confused.
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/10/108349/2025764-hikiji.jpg

2. Their human faces were showing, clearly not actual rabbits.

3. He's supposed to be smart enough to connect the dots.

CyberCubed
07-25-2017, 04:09 PM
In cartoons characters in disguises, even if they're obvious, are almost always fooled. Also would Usagi know the difference between someone with a rabbit body and a human face? He knows this is an alternate world, so he wouldn't know that's not the norm.

Glitter Wand
07-25-2017, 04:12 PM
I am very new to Usagi, having only seen him in this episode and in the 2k3 incarnation (on youtube). I think they did a grate job portraying him in this version of the Tmnt.
However, at some point, he'll have to teach Kintaro a thing or two about respect.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-25-2017, 04:15 PM
1. His world does have humans, he should not be that confused.

No there are not. Theres no indication in the Original toon that there are humans in Usagi's world, unless you're referring to another version.

snake
07-25-2017, 04:19 PM
No there are not. Theres no indication in the Original toon that there are humans in Usagi's world, unless you're referring to another version.

Which he clearly was.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-25-2017, 04:21 PM
Which he clearly was.

Why though? I think its a bit too much to be comparing Usagi's limited world in the OT (showing only 3 samurai pigs for a few seconds) to the entirety of Usagi's comics and then using that against Usagi's character in the OT which was not meant to be anything major or faithful to the original.

ToTheNines
07-25-2017, 04:24 PM
Why though? I think its a bit too much to be comparing Usagi's limited world in the OT (showing only 3 samurai pigs for a few seconds) to the entirety of Usagi's comics and then using that against Usagi's character in the OT.

Stop trolling. Even if FW Usagi doesn't have humans back home, he'd already seen humans on Earth. No reason he should be so stupid that he can't recognize a cheesy mask. Or are you going to argue that his world might not have masks since we didn't see them in the pig scene?

FredWolfLeonardo
07-25-2017, 04:28 PM
Stop trolling. Even if FW Usagi doesn't have humans back home, he'd already seen humans on Earth. No reason he should be so stupid that he can't recognize a cheesy mask. Or are you going to argue that his world might not have masks since we didn't see them in the pig scene?

I'm not troĺling. And the answer to your question is that the FW show operates with cartoon logic where the turtle's trenchcoat disguises fool people, bebop dressed as a grandma fooled the turtles and slash fooled April as one of the ninja turtles.

This thread is going off topic unecessarily.

neatoman
07-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Why though? I think its a bit too much to be comparing Usagi's limited world in the OT (showing only 3 samurai pigs for a few seconds) to the entirety of Usagi's comics and then using that against Usagi's character in the OT which was not meant to be anything major or faithful to the original.

Hikiji is one of the most important characters to Usagi's backstory, for as much of a disrespectful adaptation as the Fred Wolf cartoon was it didn't ignore the essentials when it came to the Turtles' origin. The whole concept of Usagi Yojimbo falls apart if Hikiji wasn't there.

Usagi Yojimbo without Hikiji is like TMNT without Hamato Yoshi, Batman without Joe Chill or Spider-Man without Uncle Ben.

ToTheNines
07-25-2017, 04:45 PM
TMNT without Hamato Yoshi

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/d0YvTnpPw4I/maxresdefault.jpg

FredWolfLeonardo
07-25-2017, 04:45 PM
Hikiji is one of the most important characters to Usagi's backstory, for as much of a disrespectful adaptation as the Fred Wolf cartoon was it didn't ignore the essentials when it came to the Turtles' origin. The whole concept of Usagi Yojimbo falls apart if Hikiji wasn't there.

Usagi Yojimbo without Hikiji is like TMNT without Hamato Yoshi, Batman without Joe Chill or Spider-Man without Uncle Ben.

Well, the FW toon didn't use Oroku Nagi and Tang Shen who I would certainly consider essential in the turtles' backstory from Mirage without whom, the turtles would've never come into existence.

I am not familiar with Usagi's original story, but I didn't mind any other of the original characters not being used because Usagi was only a guest star for 2 episodes and the turtles never went into Usagis world.

If we did get more episodes in his world though, I expect Hijiki to have beeen used since he is such an important character to the lore as you have said.

Since the current Nick toon episodes are all set in Usagi's world and go much deeper into his backstory, does that mean we can expect Hijiki to appear in the next 2 episodes maybe? I haven't seen the 4Kids Usagi episodes in a long time either so I dont know if he appears in that show.

Ninjinister
07-25-2017, 04:57 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Sakai was actually regretful that he made Hijiki a human. It's apparently the reason he only shows up obscured these days when he does appear, and likely why he's never appeared in these adaptations.

Grain of salt all that, though, because I don't remember specifics or even where the source of the article was.

I can only imagine how they reacted over at Turtlepedia. :lol:

No idea, actually. If I read anything, I've forgotten/mentally blocked it. I try to stay out of the conversations unless I need to be there anyway usually. It's to the benefit of my psyche, really.

THGhost
07-25-2017, 07:26 PM
Jei is an established Usagi character, I don't immedietly think of anything other than Jei when I see Jei.

Well I wouldn't know. He does look like Rahzar though. That's all I could think of when looking at him.

Why does everyone assume kids are f***ing numbskulls.

I don't know, you'd have to ask them. Because that's not what I was implying at all. I was merely pointing out that leaving the turtles out of the episode for the first 8 minutes was a brave move. It wasn't a complaint, it was a compliment to Nick. So put the pitchfork down. :P

Apparently not. I don't keep track of such things but there was an episode this season where he opened the door a crack but you couldn't see inside and people here LOST THEIR S**T

Honestly, is it really that big of a deal? :P

The FW take on the character is pretty terrible, so I don't see how anyone could see this as a downgrade from that particular version in the first place.

I liked Usagi in the 80s cartoon. He didn't come across as terrible to me at all.

IndigoErth
07-25-2017, 08:35 PM
I guess what I'd read a while ago about Usagi recognizing the Turtles, but these are not the Turtles he knows, must have meant the comic, not the cartoon? Little disappointed it isn't the show, it would have been interesting. (Unless Usagi brings it up later, but doubt it.)

CyberCubed
07-25-2017, 09:33 PM
I guess what I'd read a while ago about Usagi recognizing the Turtles, but these are not the Turtles he knows, must have meant the comic, not the cartoon? Little disappointed it isn't the show, it would have been interesting. (Unless Usagi brings it up later, but doubt it.)

That's the IDW crossover. Since Usagi there is the original Usagi written and drawn by Stan Sakai, he already met the Mirage Turtles so when he sees the IDW Turtles he'll both recognize them and be surprised they're different.

All 3 cartoon Usagi's are essentially spinoff versions of the original Usagi. Sort of like how all the Turtles are spinoff's from the Mirage universe.

tmntsplinterfan1997
07-25-2017, 09:37 PM

Judging by this pic

I feel ya. I wanted the crossover to air before the Usagi arc too. And yeah... that pic... I was thinking the same thing. Leo is training himself. Raph is sleeping. Donnie is at the lab. And Mikey is eating pizza.

neatoman
07-26-2017, 04:01 AM
I liked Usagi in the 80s cartoon. He didn't come across as terrible to me at all.

Maybe not terrible on it's own merits, just cliché. As an adaptation of Usagi it failed to capture what makes him an endearing character, in favor of doing the "I don't understand the modern world" crap everyone has seen a million times before and is almost never good, terrible use of the character.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
07-26-2017, 06:29 AM

I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was just explaining why the turtles just appeared out of the blue and not starting out with them.

Stan Sakai did write this episode so it's obviously the reason why there was more focus on Usagi than the turtles.

There's actually an issue of the Usagi comics where the Turtles get magically summoned in to his world and I really wonder if this wasn't a tribute to that since Stan Sakai wrote both the issue and the episode.

IndigoErth
07-26-2017, 08:47 AM
Since Usagi there is the original Usagi written and drawn by Stan Sakai, he already met the Mirage Turtles so when he sees the IDW Turtles he'll both recognize them and be surprised they're different.
Ah, gottcha, makes sense if that Usagi is still his same continuity then, vs TMNT 2012 being, I assume, like a slight reboot.

THGhost
07-26-2017, 10:12 AM
And yeah... that pic... I was thinking the same thing. Leo is training himself. Raph is sleeping. Donnie is at the lab. And Mikey is eating pizza.

I wonder what Splinter, Casey and April were doing and whether they even realise they've gone? Surely they have.

Vicky82
07-26-2017, 10:17 AM
I wonder what Splinter, Casey and April were doing and whether they even realise they've gone? Surely they have.

Splinter is dead remember.

I wonder if it's going to be one of those moments that time isn't going to change for them. So by the time the turtles go back home they only been gone only a few seconds, so April and Casey wouldn't notice they've gone.

But as we didn't see them before they got summoned, I doubt we will see them arrive home.

THGhost
07-26-2017, 02:49 PM
Splinter is dead remember.

I wonder if it's going to be one of those moments that time isn't going to change for them. So by the time the turtles go back home they only been gone only a few seconds, so April and Casey wouldn't notice they've gone.

But as we didn't see them before they got summoned, I doubt we will see them arrive home.

So he is. This show's off the air for so long that I forget stuff. :lol:

Could be, yeah.

Powder
07-26-2017, 05:47 PM
So he is. This show's off the air for so long that I forget stuff. :lol:

:tlol::tlol::tlol::tlol:

I feel that.

Wonder if Rise will have a similarly frustrating air schedule.

snake
07-26-2017, 06:17 PM
It'll air normally for the first 13 episodes and then sporadically until it's cancelled due to lack of interest.

DestronMirage22
07-26-2017, 10:15 PM
I managed to find the episode online and watched it.
I hadn't seen an episode from this show in a long time, and I was reminded why.

Overall it was pretty good. The only thing I felt that really held it back were the usual dopey Nick turtles. But that couldn't be helped.

I didn't know that the intro changed. It's certainly better than the old FW-intro rap, or whatever that was supposed to be.

Oh, and Usagi looks really weird in 3D.

CyberCubed
07-26-2017, 11:30 PM
The only thing I felt that really held it back were the usual dopey Nick turtles. But that couldn't be helped. .

What was "dopey" about the Nick Turtles? None of them did anything silly or odd in this episode, and there weren't any comedic anime-esque expressions or scenes like that either. They were written completely serious, besides maybe the first opening scene where they were confused as to where they were teleported.

I mean you're the only person in this thread to say this, so I don't see why you think they're dopey.

THGhost
07-27-2017, 11:46 AM
What was "dopey" about the Nick Turtles? None of them did anything silly or odd in this episode, and there weren't any comedic anime-esque expressions or scenes like that either. They were written completely serious, besides maybe the first opening scene where they were confused as to where they were teleported.

I mean you're the only person in this thread to say this, so I don't see why you think they're dopey.

Is it Donnie's gapped teeth? :tlol:

:tlol::tlol::tlol::tlol:

I feel that.

Wonder if Rise will have a similarly frustrating air schedule.

Glad you agree. :tcool:

Not as crazy as this series I hope.

I guess that's cool? Given that it's a cartoon and none of the characters are human, I don't think anyone would have cared in the first place.

Not the point I was making. :P They could have easily cast American actors, but they didn't. Well done, Nick. Being a cartoon and not having human characters doesn't matter.

DestronMirage22
07-27-2017, 03:17 PM

Kinda hard to describe it.
I guess it's just the way they are in general. They talk and act like a bunch of dumb kids most if the time. And when they get "serious" it reeks of insincerity.

And then there's lines like "Mikey double-chocolate-pizza hangover". :roll:
Is it Donnie's gapped teeth? :tlol:

That adds to it.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-27-2017, 03:19 PM
I personally prefer the sarcastic humour of the FW turtles and even the very cheesy humour of the Original movie turtles as opposed to the loud in your face humour of the Nick turtles, but i dont mind the latter or think its dopey by any means.

TheJ-manTurtleMan
07-27-2017, 10:28 PM
Anyone know what the character on Kintaro's clothes means?

Powder
07-27-2017, 10:45 PM
It means gold, as he is the golden one (or boy, or child, I can't remember which).

Darth Knuckles
07-28-2017, 10:52 PM
I really enjoyed this episode a lot. It was great that Stan Sakai wrote it and had his finger prints all over this one. It started out as a Usagi Yojimbo cartoon and then the turtles just so happened to show up. I really liked that about it. I actually did miss the Gen cameo in the flashback scene in Stan Sakai's art style. I'm glad he's at least in an episode no matter how small.

I really got the feel of the Usagi comics in this episode which I was really thrilled about. A lot of great Usagi/TMNT comic callbacks too. And I did catch and completely enjoy the Donnie "You can count on us." line. I loved and appreciated it. A very great episode overall! :tgrin:

BubblyShell22
07-29-2017, 04:54 PM
A very awesome episode and I loved that Stan himself wrote it. I liked how the Turtles weren't there at first and it focused on Usagi and Kintaro first before the Turtles were summoned. Loved the fight scenes and Kintaro was a bit annoying but he did make me laugh like when he questioned why Usagi didn't have a horse. I just wish it could have been a whole hour, but I definitely can't wait for tomorrow to see the rest of it. Overall, a pretty satisfying episode and I loved all of it.

Shark_Blade
07-29-2017, 06:33 PM
Just wow, I feel like it's a real movie and never want it to end. They did Usagi justice indeed. :tlove:

Heh, so that's where the samurai toys line came in...

Prototype
08-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Cool episode except for the fat boy with Cleopatra haircut.

TheJ-manTurtleMan
08-04-2017, 11:41 AM
My thoughts on this episode:
https://youtu.be/NO6E5ypVfqI

Faster and Cheaper
08-05-2017, 12:02 AM
Finally got around to watching this episode. This was actually done way later in the season, production was the last one before the final arc of the show. Should be the first team Donatello episode that's aired so far. Team purple episodes are the ones I helped out on the least but I think I did some revions on this one.

Real fun episode that I would have liked to work on in theory, but I remember there was a lot of issues with new sets, characters, props, etc. Also so many shots with lots of characters probably meant slowed down machines. Add horses to the mix, it would still have been fun but yeah what a hassle that would be.

Usagi is always fun to see show up in TMNT, and he's great here too. He's a great warrior, cool design, and he's shown in a good way here. Kintaro I found annoying but in an intentional way, he was funny too and even kinda cute in that way pugs are. The turtles didn't stay under mind control long but they looked cool in the darkness with the white eyes and a nice little fight with Usagi.

The climax was a lot of fun though with the extended fight on horseback over the forest and mountain terrain. Real neat stuff that I tip my hat to team Donnie on that.

ranger_scout
08-05-2017, 11:16 PM
It really was a coincidence that this episode had a cliffhanger that literally involved a cliff. I went to comic book store and tried to find the stories on Usagi Yojimbo after this episode. I didn't see any, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right area. He did appear in a couple of episodes of the original series, but I am interested in knowing more about him.

Powder
08-05-2017, 11:24 PM
I'm not so sure it was a coincidence. :tlol:

Usagi's comics are definitely worth a read. The big books collecting various issues are a little pricey for new readers, but it's great material. A lot of the series is Slice Of Life style, so if you do manage to find some loose issues, they should be pretty accessible to you! Self contained stories & whatnot.

The only real base knowledge you need is that Usagi is a warrior who wanders the land after failing to prevent his former master's assassination, thus losing his purpose. He goes place to place being a bodyguard for hire while learning about many elements of Japanese culture. So it's like half samurai fights & half folktale typa stuff. Both immersive & relaxing! Knowing it's all written/drawn by one guy makes it all the more impressive.

Shark_Blade
08-05-2017, 11:57 PM
It really was a coincidence that this episode had a cliffhanger that literally involved a cliff. I went to comic book store and tried to find the stories on Usagi Yojimbo after this episode. I didn't see any, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right area. He did appear in a couple of episodes of the original series, but I am interested in knowing more about him.
You can start from his own comic book series called "Usagi Yojimbo". Later on he'll have some crossovers with the turtles. :D

The most convenient places to find Usagi comics are from Dark Horse, iBook and Comixology apps. You can find some in bookstores too.

Stan Sakai's art style and storytelling in the comics are truly immersive and captivating imo. Worthy of all the awards/acclaims it made through the ages.

ToTheNines
08-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Just paid attention to the credits and saw that the dude who played Shredder in the 2014 movie voiced a bunch of the fodder samurai from Sumo Kuma's gang.

Klunk1234
08-14-2017, 09:27 PM
I have not seen the show's episode for a while. I just watched Yojimbo and it's amazing Miyamoto Usagi is great and serious as a Samurai warrior should be and Kuntaro, the little boy is kind of an arrogant but funny.

Donny's computer84
08-14-2017, 09:32 PM
I like this version of Usagi, episode 7 was good lots of action. Scary ending:D