PDA

View Full Version : TMNT #72 preview & discussion

AlZarkovski
07-24-2017, 11:33 PM
Preview here (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1707/25/tmnt72.htm).

2K3
07-25-2017, 05:07 AM
Have to admit never saw that coming...

Nice to see Stockman again; still sassy as ever.

ChosenOne
07-25-2017, 07:02 AM
Nice Stockman scene, it's always good to see that slimy bastard out and about.

You just know that if he sees fit to cut a deal with Kitsune or RK, he will, survival of mankind be damned.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-25-2017, 08:15 AM
Thinking about it, going to You Know Who as a replacement for Harold makes perfect sense.

I love this. :tgrin:

MikeandRaph87
07-25-2017, 08:20 AM
Thinking about it, going to You Know Who as a replacement for Harold makes perfect sense.

I love this. :tgrin:

When the alliance of convinence breaks then a certain person will be the one to put him behind bars as if a poetic connection going back to his first appearance.

CyberCubed
07-25-2017, 11:40 AM
It is odd that if the Patheon are such immortal gods that have been around since the dawn of man for 200,000 or so years, that they aren't the rulers and Gods of all humanity by now. Like...what have they been doing for 200,000 years? :lol:

ChosenOne
07-25-2017, 11:44 AM
It is odd that if the Patheon are such immortal gods that have been around since the dawn of man for 200,000 or so years, that they aren't the rulers and Gods of all humanity by now. Like...what have they been doing for 200,000 years? :lol:

Apparently locked in an endless cycle of tying each other's shoelaces together and enjoying the ensuing pratfalls, which is what Kitsune is poised to break with the second coming of the Dragon Warrior (and why I believe some or most of the Pantheon won't particularly care for her idea).

Ninjinister
07-25-2017, 12:23 PM

They've said time and time again that their "game" has rules.

neatoman
07-25-2017, 12:27 PM
Preview here (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1707/25/tmnt72.htm).

I don't have much to say about the preview other than it's nice to see Stockman again, pretty sure he hasn't been in the story since the opening arc of Universe.

At first I thought it looked like the chart of the Pantheon could have more than eight members but then I noticed that wasn't really possible.

Mutant Ninja Anole
07-25-2017, 04:11 PM
Honestly, anything could happen here. My guess is we get the standard fight scene between the Turtles and Jagwar to establish her as a skilled opponent before Rat King calls a stop to it and lets them sit in, because it's amusing. That and Leo is still his unwitting pawn.

Utrommaniac
07-25-2017, 04:48 PM
Oh yeah! So much has happened that the "pawn" part as kind of been swept away by other things.

ChosenOne
07-26-2017, 07:44 AM
I expected something more from this issue. Don't know what, just... A bit more. It was amazing, and great art (particularly dug that panel where Leo turns to Donnie as he's being brainwashed by Kitsune), but after the revelations of last issue, I kinda hoped more Pantheon members would warm up to the Turtles or something. And it seemed to go by way too fast, like half a normal issue, even though it was the same number of pages.

One great thing that sticks out, though, is the visual of the assembled Pantheon vs. the Turtles. These guys are definitely the TMNT version of the Sinister Six! They even have a Doc Ock, a Vulture, a Kraven and a Mysterio of their own! :D

Another great issue, but too dang fast. Left me wanting more.

Then again, they all do...

Utrommaniac
07-26-2017, 07:59 AM
It's not quite what I was expecting, but still fun.

Especially poor ol' Toady watching his house get trashed :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-26-2017, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure what I was expecting with this issue. I got something different.

Still enjoyed it. Rat King was a delight, as was Stockman.

CyberCubed
07-26-2017, 08:37 AM
Oddly the Pantheon seem less powerful when they're all together than apart. With 3 fighters and Rat King and Kitsune's tricks, the Turtles should have been decimated. Also Aka seems to be on the side of the Turtles for good, which I think might have something to do with Tang Shen eventually.

I think Jagwar is going to get an arc, maybe with Mammoth, because they're actual fighters unlike all the magic users so it would be nice to see them have brawls with them.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-26-2017, 08:54 AM
Oddly the Pantheon seem less powerful when they're all together than apart. With 3 fighters and Rat King and Kitsune's tricks, the Turtles should have been decimated. Also Aka seems to be on the side of the Turtles for good, which I think might have something to do with Tang Shen eventually.

I think Jagwar is going to get an arc, maybe with Mammoth, because they're actual fighters unlike all the magic users so it would be nice to see them have brawls with them.

It was Hide and Seek and Kill, man. At least for everyone except Jagwar.

CyberCubed
07-26-2017, 09:00 AM
They were all there, and two (or three?) have magic powers. I get the feeling Gothano is the most powerful of them all too but he was generally holding back. Jagwar doesn't appear to be much stronger than your average mutant fighter, Mammoth probably should have went charging with his tusks instead of using a crossbow.

Aka and Toad Baron weren't attacking of course, but Rat King also didn't do anything till the end.

ChosenOne
07-26-2017, 09:11 AM
Jagwar doesn't appear to be much stronger than your average mutant fighter (...)

Debatable. She did seem to kick Raph pretty hard there, but then again, him smashing against the display cabinet might've skewed my perception of the blow somewhat. And he didn't seem hurt at all afterwards too (having PTSD-induced flashbacks to the discussion on Dragon Ball Super's episode 100 here :lol:) so you might be on to something.

There's also the fact that her Umbrella Smash Special(TM) didn't hurt Mikey much at all...

One of the best things about this issue is Toad Baron's hilarious art collection in the background, some of them amphibian-themed distortions on real life works of art. There's even a bust of a "Napoleon Bonafrog" of sorts on the top two panels of page 17! I don't recognize the bust next to that one, but it might depict someone of similar historical importance. Keep your eyes peeled for the background of panels in the Den of Delights, it's brilliant!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-26-2017, 09:16 AM
They were all there, and two (or three?) have magic powers. I get the feeling Gothano is the most powerful of them all too but he was generally holding back. Jagwar doesn't appear to be much stronger than your average mutant fighter, Mammoth probably should have went charging with his tusks instead of using a crossbow.

Aka and Toad Baron weren't attacking of course, but Rat King also didn't do anything till the end.

They're curious. Rat King, Aka, and Kitsune obviously know much more about them, so of course the rest of the Pantheon is going to pull some punches until they know more of what's going on.

Two of the three siblings familiar with the Turtles are the tricksters. Proceed with caution.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-26-2017, 12:19 PM
I just realized something some of you have already been criticizing for awhile now...

The Turtles really do feel like recurring characters, not the main characters anymore.

"Desperate Measures" was really more about Hob and the Mutanimals (and of course Bishop)... "Pantheon Family Reunion" has been more about the Pantheon, "Dimension X" and "Trial of Krang" is undoubtedly going to be mainly focused on a whole horde of aliens, mutants, and weirdos.

That's probably going to remain the case off and on for the rest of the run, now that the character roster is so packed.

CyberCubed
07-26-2017, 12:26 PM
Also I find it amusing Casey was absent in this issue, especially with Leonardo's, "Team Hamato" battlecry at the end with April/Angel/Alopex standing next to them but no Casey. :P

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-26-2017, 12:27 PM
Also I find it amusing Casey was absent in this issue, especially with Leonardo's, "Team Hamato" battlecry at the end with April/Angel/Alopex standing next to them but no Casey. :P

I am curious to get back to Casey and see if Hun has anything to say about his boy running the Purple Dragons...

CyberCubed
07-26-2017, 12:32 PM
So is it generally speculated Aka is protective of the Turtles because Tang Shen has somehow become part of the Pantheon but the other members don't know that yet? Because otherwise it really doesn't make much sense why she's the only member constantly on their side over all the others.

myconius
07-26-2017, 12:39 PM
I just realized something some of you have already been criticizing for awhile now...

The Turtles really do feel like recurring characters, not the main characters anymore.

"Desperate Measures" was really more about Hob and the Mutanimals (and of course Bishop)... "Pantheon Family Reunion" has been more about the Pantheon, "Dimension X" and "Trial of Krang" is undoubtedly going to be mainly focused on a whole horde of aliens, mutants, and weirdos.

That's probably going to remain the case off and on for the rest of the run, now that the character roster is so packed.

yes, i've felt like the Ninja Turtles have been feeling like guest stars in their own series for a while now.
They do get stories arcs that have them front and center, but a lot of the time they play second fiddle.

i did really enjoy this issue a lot, though.
seeing Baxter Stockman as the unwilling ally was a real delight!
his dialog was so much fun to read, as was The Rat King's. :D

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-26-2017, 12:47 PM
So is it generally speculated Aka is protective of the Turtles because Tang Shen has somehow become part of the Pantheon but the other members don't know that yet? Because otherwise it really doesn't make much sense why she's the only member constantly on their side over all the others.

I do NOT think Tang Shen is Aka.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Aka somehow intervened on Tang Shen's behalf or intervened through her at times past... quite possibly beginning when Kitsune was using Saki and Saki had Tang Shen killed.

I think Aka has grown old and tired, and possibly wiser, and wants the Pantheon to end so that humanity can flourish in their total absence.

CyberCubed
07-26-2017, 12:55 PM
I didn't mean Tang Shen was Aka, just that Tang Shen's spirit is somewhere in the Pantheon.

myconius
07-26-2017, 12:59 PM

so you think maybe Tang Shen and Aka have possibly communed in the spirit realm?

that's an interesting theory.

Utrommaniac
07-26-2017, 01:21 PM
Oh, Aka and Tang Shen have had get-togethers in the Spirit Realm for sure. Maybe even tea parties.

Also...did anyone else notice it was Donatello that Mammoth almost smashed with the pillar? And right in front of Leonardo this time?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-26-2017, 01:43 PM
Oh, Aka and Tang Shen have had get-togethers in the Spirit Realm for sure. Maybe even tea parties.

Also...did anyone else notice it was Donatello that Mammoth almost smashed with the pillar? And right in front of Leonardo this time?

That's not a staff, boy... THIS is a staff.

We're lucky Donatello didn't die of a staff infection.

CyberCubed
07-26-2017, 01:45 PM
I definitely want to see Jagwar and Manmoth get their own story arc in Universe and go after the Turtles individually. Toad Baron got his own 2-parter in Universe, I'd like to see the others fleshed out similarly. Gothano is probably the only one they will probably want to keep mysterious for a while so I don't think we'll learn anything about him for a while.

Given Jagwar was once a Mutanimal in Archie, would be interesting to see if she meets Dreadmon in the wild or such.

myconius
07-26-2017, 01:55 PM

an Aka / Tang Shen tea party?

.....i'd enjoy seeing that!! :D

Utrommaniac
07-26-2017, 01:59 PM
That's not a staff, boy... THIS is a staff.

We're lucky Donatello didn't die of a staff infection.

On the one hand, that's a very good point. On the other, that pun...

DonatelloFan1984
07-26-2017, 02:08 PM
I really hope they flesh out Manmoth. Really digging his design and it would be cool to see the turtles square off against him.

myconius
07-26-2017, 02:10 PM

Casey was hanging with the Purple Dragons eating 'Cool Ranch' Chips. :P

neatoman
07-26-2017, 02:34 PM
Alright, so that line about "disgusting creatures" means we can pretty much take it as New Jagwar having the name in common with Old Jagwar and really nothing else, or am I wrong? Really hard to imagine Old Jagwar talking and behaving like that.

phillytmnt
07-26-2017, 02:47 PM
I felt that it was odd that there was no reaction from the turtles regarding Kitsune's plan. She plans on bringing back their arch enemy and having her father use Saki's body as a vessel. You would think that the turtles would be alarmed by this? Overall I thought it was a good issue. Just wished that they would of talked more about Kitsune's plan.

CyberCubed
07-26-2017, 02:51 PM
Maybe they didn't hear her or transport there at that point? We really got no idea how long the Turtles were eavesdropping on what they were saying.

Vicky82
07-26-2017, 02:54 PM
I'm annoyed that this isn't out on ITunes, until next week :x

neatoman
07-26-2017, 03:03 PM

Have you thought about... other alternatives?

Utrommaniac
07-26-2017, 03:29 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1pNwy9F0gB84lski5sto-zPLxYwmKHiloXPrdp4sAhdBtgPO6Ud2d6KE5

myconius
07-26-2017, 03:35 PM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1pNwy9F0gB84lski5sto-zPLxYwmKHiloXPrdp4sAhdBtgPO6Ud2d6KE5

i always buy my digital comics on Comixology.

the thought of getting them on Itunes never even occurred to me.
and seeing how ITunes is very lax on discounting back issues, i'm very happy for my decision.

Utrommaniac
07-26-2017, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that a lot of the single-issues are $1.99 after they've been out for a week or two - though, I didn't go with a lot of those, I just went for the volume sets because it seemed more sensible.

But once the Dimension X/Trial is over, I'll probably be doing that with the Karai set in Universe.

myconius
07-26-2017, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that a lot of the single-issues are $1.99 after they've been out for a week or two - though, I didn't go with a lot of those, I just went for the volume sets because it seemed more sensible.

But once the Dimension X/Trial is over, I'll probably be doing that with the Karai set in Universe.

i find the digital usually drop in price after they've been out for a month.

even though i have all the Tmnt comic series in my pull-list, i subscribe on Comixology to the ongoing series as well as Tmnt:Universe and any other mini or one-shot that comes down the line.
it's worth it for me to pay full price day one, as i get my money's worth for all the times i'll re-read an issue.

but when i first decided to also buy digital was around when issue #50 was coming out.
i wanted to fill my digital library with the digital single issues to be uniform when adding new single issues to my ComiXology subscription.

out of curiosity i browsed the ITunes store for IDW Tmnt comics, and saw that only some of their back issues had dropped.
some issues that have been out for several years already were still list price, while other back issues that came out after got discounted.
just seemed like they're not up on their game over at ITunes comics.

myconius
07-26-2017, 06:31 PM
i did find it really funny when Michelangelo tried to hand Rat King back his rats! :lol:

that was a really a very touching moment when Mikey told Leo he'd never leave his side just as Leo got teleported away.

it made it all the more impactful when Leo realizes that Mikey's been left behind, and goes rushing back to get him.

that was one of my favorite moments in the comic.

oldmanwinters
07-26-2017, 09:30 PM
I loved the fact that Michelangelo boasted about being a great ninja and then found the absolute worst hiding place imaginable.

Utrommaniac
07-26-2017, 09:36 PM
Now that you mention it, it makes me think of kids playing Hide and Seek like this
https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/2/22/Hide_and_seek_two_kids_behind_curtain.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140508044753

The old "If I can't see you, you can't see me"

myconius
07-26-2017, 09:39 PM
I loved the fact that Michelangelo boasted about being a great ninja and then found the absolute worst hiding place imaginable.

yeah Michelangelo was pretty funny in this issue. :lol:

oldmanwinters
07-26-2017, 09:52 PM
Now that you mention it, it makes me think of kids playing Hide and Seek like this
https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/2/22/Hide_and_seek_two_kids_behind_curtain.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140508044753

The old "If I can't see you, you can't see me"

And here we all had hopes of IDW Michelangelo maturing into a complex character with depth. Or something.

myconius
07-26-2017, 09:57 PM
And here we all had hopes of IDW Michelangelo maturing into a complex character with depth. Or something.

i'd rather Michelagelo add some humor and joy to the series rather than be cranky and complain all the time.

some of those "character developing" stories for Michelangelo, seemed to be developing him into a whiny buzzkill.

MikeandRaph87
07-26-2017, 10:06 PM

I am okay with it if it is rare. His device being broken putting him into a predicament. It reminds me of 1987 Michelangelo being both clumsy and the most often captured.He was not mentally challenged. Still an annoyance factor but not what future counterparts would suffer and seemingly try to define him as.However, some of that is the legacy of Laird ruling out comedic relief for of the other three therefore forcing the burden on Michealangelo's shellback.

It appears Aka is the only good of the members of The Pantheon even if the choas and twisted view of order(Rat King and Kitsune) are the responsible parties.

dl316bh
07-27-2017, 01:31 AM
Not only that, but Comixology is constantly putting things on sale. The IDW TMNT stuff has been on discount at least three times this year, for a dollar an issue. I mostly buy and read comics in collected editions, but I've dropped a fair chunk of change over time because of all the sales they do.

neatoman
07-27-2017, 04:35 AM
I noticed that Manmoth covers his trunk up with cloth, Elephant Man reference?
http://www.sitemason.com/files/x1L43K/ElephantManweb.jpg/main.jpg

myconius
07-27-2017, 08:00 AM
i really like how they echoed the line-

"I'd never leave you by yourself, (Big/Little) Bro."

from Mike to Leo, then later on from Leo to Mike.

Mutant Ninja Anole
07-27-2017, 10:10 AM
It's interesting to parse out the various motives and personalities of the Pantheon, Aka being understanding, Rat King being humorous, etc. I think there's a good chance Rat King had no real desire to see the Turtles killed there, they are much too amusing for him.

Also, Clan Hamato, yes!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-27-2017, 10:19 AM
It's interesting to parse out the various motives and personalities of the Pantheon, Aka being understanding, Rat King being humorous, etc. I think there's a good chance Rat King had no real desire to see the Turtles killed there, they are much too amusing for him.

Also, Clan Hamato, yes!

It's a cruel humorous. He doesn't want to lose his toys yet, but he does want to see them scurry in fear. :evilgrin:

myconius
07-27-2017, 10:30 AM
i try my best not to, but i sometimes hear a very raspy Mark Hamill voice as the dialog for IDW's Rat King.

i just don't like assuming a voice per character, but Hamill's voice just feels very appropriate.

Utrommaniac
07-27-2017, 10:32 AM
I finally got around to a Davy Jones-type voice for Mammoth. Much more so than John DiMaggio...who might just be my headvoice for Ch'rell once he gets moving.

ToTheNines
07-27-2017, 11:15 AM
who might just be my headvoice for Ch'rell once he gets moving.

Damn, didn't think of that since he hasn't spoken yet. I already hear Scottie Ray for Shredder, so I'll have to find different one for Ch'rell.

Technogeek29
07-27-2017, 11:49 PM
For Aka oddly enough hear Grandmother willow from Pocahontas...Not sure how I came to that one?

myconius
07-28-2017, 05:46 AM
it's weird, for Rat King i'll either hear Hamill's voice OR sometimes i'll hear Jeremy Irons.

that's one of the reasons if i start hearing a voice as the character i'll try to shut it off! as it can be very distracting from the story.

it's much better for me jut to enjoy the dialog than to worry about who's voice would fit. at least that's how it is for me anyway.

DrSpengler
07-29-2017, 10:20 AM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT #72 at TMNT Entity. (https://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2017/07/tmnt-idw-72.html)

I got a lot out of this storyline and it felt like a bigger milestone/gamechanger to me than some of the "bigger" arcs we've gotten recently. It's gratifying to finally see the Turtles get over that hurdle with the Pantheon and that arc that's been simmering for so long can at least make a little forward momentum.

MikeandRaph87
07-29-2017, 12:13 PM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT #72 at TMNT Entity. (https://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2017/07/tmnt-idw-72.html)

I got a lot out of this storyline and it felt like a bigger milestone/gamechanger to me than some of the "bigger" arcs we've gotten recently. It's gratifying to finally see the Turtles get over that hurdle with the Pantheon and that arc that's been simmering for so long can at least make a little forward momentum.

Do you feel that every single story arc have ramifications that last beyond it? For example Attack on Technodrome took Krang off the board. Vengeance took Shredder off the board and made Splinter master of the Foot, not sure the title or if the two parter folds under Order from Chaos but Slash, breaking away from Hob. There are plenty of others from Chasing Phantoms to Pantheon: The Gathering and so on. Every story pays off and causes ramifications. Some arcs maybe not right away, but will. It makes everything count for something.

Bircher
07-29-2017, 02:40 PM
Stupid question deleted

ctt4lfecw
07-30-2017, 09:38 AM
I liked the fight between Manmoth and the Turtles.