PDA

View Full Version : TMNT #73 preview & discussion

AlZarkovski
07-28-2017, 08:05 AM
Preview here (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2017/07/28/exclusive-idw-preview-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-73/).

oldmanwinters
07-28-2017, 08:52 AM
It's funny when the publishing schedule works it out to have consecutive issues distributed one week apart. Almost feels like the old Mirage days!

ChosenOne
07-28-2017, 09:12 AM
It's funny when the publishing schedule works it out to have consecutive issues distributed one week apart. Almost feels like the old Mirage days!

This is probably one of those rare occasions where, more than a funny coincidence, it is actually warranted by the storytelling since Dimension X starts next week as well and it quite probably spins off the events of #73. It all works out nicely this way.

ProphetofGanja
07-28-2017, 09:57 AM
Nice

I wonder if we'll be getting a preview for TMNTDX #1 today too

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-28-2017, 10:17 AM
So much fun. :tgrin:

Utrommaniac
07-28-2017, 10:41 AM
The first three pages have already been on the iBooks preview, but I still dig them so much.

Krang pretty much spent the entirety of the main line in his suit, save for when he was exploring a terraformed area of the island, so to see him out of it is glorious. Contrary to what Hakk-R states, that cell must be roomy compared to being packed in a suit that he probably would have only used for combat in any other part of his life. The frame of him jumping off the bed to get the...USB???...is probably the most dynamic pose we've seen for an Utrom in this entire run, something I've had trouble drawing, and I love it! Also kind of answers how they'd get on/off beds that are taller than they are, but I'd think that would get exhausting. I've been giving them something of a mashup of dog beds and Japanese floor mattresses. The hard edge of the prison bed seems like a good way to accidentally smack yourself in the face climbing up on it.

I also noticed there's a massive difference in Krang's tentacles from Hakk-r's - his having a lot more muscle and rigidity except at the end, maybe like an arm without bone and more of a singular support nerve, like an extra thick spinal cord, while Hakk-r's is a little more "classical" bunch of nerves and flexibility.

Interesting that Mike thinks Krang would have life imprisonment, considering that he just met some Utroms that were alive in the Cretaceous, and should have realized that Utroms have too long a lifespan for that.

Pepperoni, no!!!

AquaParade
07-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Very cool that this book has reached issue #73.

I'm waiting for a substantial change in direction before I dive back in, but I'm always waiting in the wings and checking out an issue every few months.

oldmanwinters
07-28-2017, 12:32 PM
Very cool that this book has reached issue #73.

I'm waiting for a substantial change in direction before I dive back in, but I'm always waiting in the wings and checking out an issue every few months.

What, you want a new editor?

neatoman
07-28-2017, 12:35 PM
So how tangled up is this going to be with the mini? Isn't the mini about collecting the witnesses before Hakk-R can get to them? So why is he given the list here rather than in the mini?

Utrommaniac
07-28-2017, 12:36 PM
It seems like the Trial arch is going to have that change in direction somewhere.

CyberCubed
07-28-2017, 01:00 PM
This arc looks very interesting, and it's about time we got back to Krang since he hasn't appeared in ages. I wonder, are all those Utroms who woke up at Burnow Island going to be at the trial too? I imagine they would, wouldn't they? They need to know about Krang's crimes and it would probably lead to them finding a new home.

ProphetofGanja
07-28-2017, 01:30 PM
So how tangled up is this going to be with the mini? Isn't the mini about collecting the witnesses before Hakk-R can get to them? So why is he given the list here rather than in the mini?

Synergy, yo.

Utrommaniac
07-28-2017, 01:32 PM
It appears to be going

DX 1-5

Again, iTunes has the preview for this and DX1, where the turtles are already looking for the first witness

AquaParade
07-28-2017, 01:49 PM
What, you want a new editor?

I like Bobby as an editor. In fact, I like the whole team. Especially the fact that Kevin is a part of it. I don't want to sound too critical, because I know the book works for a lot of people, and that's great.

I find the issues to heavy with stiff dialogue and the stakes hard to buy into. The latter being a problem with a lot of mainstream comics.

But these are just my opinions. and I do enjoy things about the book - bold, fresh take on the origin, fantastic artists - just not enough to be there every month.

Thanks for the reply, btw!

ProphetofGanja
07-28-2017, 02:06 PM
It appears to be going

DX 1-5

Again, iTunes has the preview for this and DX1, where the turtles are already looking for the first witness

iTunes previews suck :(:roll:

Utrommaniac
07-28-2017, 02:08 PM
I think if you have iBooks, you can get bigger previews. I was able to. Just have to click "view in iBooks"

AlZarkovski
08-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Two new pages: (SPOILERS!!)

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2017/08/01/tmnt/1-tmnt-comic-2.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.2x.jpg
https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2017/08/01/tmnt/1-tmnt-comic-4.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.2x.jpg

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Well DAMN!!!

I am still dying to know why somebody isn't freaking out trying to squish all the little Ooties. :tgrin:

Redeemer
08-01-2017, 03:47 PM
I like Bobby as an editor. In fact, I like the whole team. Especially the fact that Kevin is a part of it. I don't want to sound too critical, because I know the book works for a lot of people, and that's great.

I find the issues to heavy with stiff dialogue and the stakes hard to buy into. The latter being a problem with a lot of mainstream comics.

But these are just my opinions. and I do enjoy things about the book - bold, fresh take on the origin, fantastic artists - just not enough to be there every month.

Thanks for the reply, btw!

I agree about the "stakes hard to buy into" the story doesn't feel grounded out all and just to far out there since post #50. I still buy the issues bc I enjoy it, but I am not as excited to read TMNT as I use to be. I think my other problem is the art. I just don't like the design they are using for the turtles.

CyberCubed
08-01-2017, 03:48 PM
That second page isn't loading for me, is it for anyone else?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-01-2017, 03:54 PM
That second page isn't loading for me, is it for anyone else?

Yep. It's the big guy versus Hakkr.

CyberCubed
08-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Weird, I can only see the top half of it with Dusk defending the Neutrino leaders then it cuts off. Oh well, doesn't matter since the issue will be out soon anyway.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Weird, I can only see the top half of it with Dusk defending the Neutrino leaders then it cuts off. Oh well, doesn't matter since the issue will be out soon anyway.

Dask.

But now I want "From Dask to Dawn", an epic vampire/Neutrino crossover. :trazz:

Utrommaniac
08-01-2017, 04:20 PM
Well, that was a quick capture :lol: !

Like grabbin a mole or prairie dog...or something...?

DestronMirage22
08-01-2017, 11:54 PM
Well, that was a quick capture :lol: !

Like grabbin a mole or prairie dog...or something...?

Like catchin' a cat fish by hand in the 'ol bayou.
(As a certain someone might put it :D)

Utrommaniac
08-01-2017, 11:56 PM
...That...ended up being very meta and very appropriate, all things considered.

DestronMirage22
08-01-2017, 11:59 PM
...That...ended up being very meta and very appropriate, all things considered.

Haha...yup! :D

Utrommaniac
08-02-2017, 02:14 AM
Well, I read it.

Ma'riell's decision to help the prosecution is probably going to cause a lot of problems, especially with her brother. She's already said he'd be angry enough to learn he's in prison, but now she has to deal with the fact that she's helping to keep him there. I feel a Burnow Island shakeup...Kleve and Montuoro likely aren't going to stand for it either, nor would a big part of other remaining soldiers. I'd imagine Ma'riell probably would be trying to keep things low and is preparing for a huge tear in her relationship with Ch'rell, but still...things are going to get nasty. "What is rotten in the state of Burnow Island?" levels of nasty.

It seems like there are constant void fillings in Dimension X.
The Utroms picking up from the D'Hoonibs (who, let's face it, started that war and then surrendered, with no indication of being wiped out), then the Malignoid Swarm seems to be picking up from the Utroms. There's a key difference between the Utroms from the D'Hoonibs and the Malignoids from the Utroms. The Utroms were picking up directly from the D'Hoonibs as some kind of post-war responsibility, and the Malignoids are more...vulture-y in filling the gaps. And clearly more terrifying in force.

It's almost like the Rebellion should have realized there'd be a massive hole to be filled, more appropriately by the Neutrinos. No wonder Dimension X always seems to be at war, the supposed good guys don't know how to fill power vacuums and not focusing on the imminent invasion. And hey, maybe even making their most powerful prisoner useful against this massive threat!?

There's a lot of problems with the way the Neutrinos handle things in Dimension X...it doesn't seem like they think a lot of stuff through. Come on guys, Krang killing off the prosecution and his key witnesses should be more than enough to put him on trial, even if it's on a separate set of crimes. And why are you surprised Krang would be destroying civilian lives when you did the same on his? Granted, he was doing it on every planet, but you're the good guys! I'd expect higher standards from you by just taking down the government and leaving those uninvolved alone; make yourselves better than your enemies.
Quanin was already proving to be a danger to his planet and people anyway, so taking him out alone would have been doing a huge favor to everyone.

I'm a little bothered by how narrow Leatherhead's face is...getting too close to a crocodile there.

Killing that councilor in front of everyone probably wasn't Hakk-R's brightest idea either.

Honeycutt yelling "Hakk-R!" brought out a very instinctive "THE Hacker, to you!" from me.

martinitolove
08-02-2017, 11:34 AM
Wasn't expecting much from the trial (I find the Neutrinos boring since the 80-ies). But today I must say that my mind was blown away and I'm looking forward to all the new issues! Thank you guys and chapeau!!!

Utrommaniac
08-02-2017, 11:46 AM
I'm siding on the Neutrinos not being the most exciting. Just not buying the "pointy eared goody two shoes" thing. There's gotta be some kind of skeletons in their closets. The Utroms are rife with issues, which is one of the reasons why I like them...and aren't basically SciFi Elves. Elves in fantasy are boring enough as it is.

Just let them fall out, guys...

They also didn't really make a good logical move in taking back everything that was left by Krang before Maligna could. And frankly it seems really, really, REALLY dumb to focus on the trial instead of Maligna??? I mean, they could even get Krang to help with that, he's probably the smartest military tactician in the entire prison. And if he knows Maligna means serious sh*t, he'll probably be willing to help if only because they have bad blood.

myconius
08-02-2017, 12:28 PM
i really enjoy what IDW has done with the Neutrinos.
they've actually made me care about them.

i didn't even really mind when Zak called Raph "Daddy-O"

the Turtles dialog was also a lot of fun in this issue!
it's good to see them getting some much deserved spotlight! :D

Utrommaniac
08-02-2017, 12:41 PM
I will give them points for doing the Neutrinos better than the originals did, at least with Dask, Zak, and Kala...and especially Trib! But Zenter and Gizzla feel like they had a little bit of a downgrade in willingness to put up with Krang's antagonism. They were actually able to save themselves from Krang in the FW version and were much more vocal against him as well. In IDW, they seem more dependant on protection from their military. They're kinda..."eh".
Gizzla is basically just a lamp.

I really, really want to find something in the Neutrinos to like, some kind of actual flaw that's in the text to give them a boost in roundness, but I'm not seeing much? I'm just seeing them as people with good intentions making really bad decisions (focus on the bugs, THEN the trial! Then you won't have to say "boo" should the bugs arrive in the middle of the trial, as is being suggested in the summaries of the next issues!)

CyberCubed
08-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Wow, I'm surprised how much I enjoyed this issue. For what was essentially an exposition issue to get this arc started, I really liked it. It's great to see the Fugitoid and Neutrinos in an arc again and see some resolution to the Krang war arc from all the way back in 2013 or whenever it was when we left them, that arc was a long time ago. The Turtles receiving medals was something that should have happened back then, I'm glad it was touched on.

Leatherhead returning was good and unexpected, although I'm a bit disappointed nothing was mentioned of how he killed three or so Utroms back on Burnow Island in his debut. Shouldn't he also be tried for killing innocent Utroms? I'm interested to see where they take him. Also will the remaining Utroms on Earth finally leave Burnow Island to a new home in Dimension X somewhere? I guess we'll see.

Hakk-R is really cool. He feels like a character made for an action figure or a cartoon show, fun to see this type of character in a comic. I'd love a toy of this guy, lol.

Utrommaniac
08-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Yeah, they pretty much only talk about how he attacked Honeycutt, but leave out the triple revenge murder - one of which was on an official who could have been extremely helpful in the trial.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-02-2017, 01:45 PM
I really feel like bringing Leatherhead to the trial is going to backfire for somebody. Spectacularly backfire.

myconius
08-02-2017, 01:47 PM
I really feel like bringing Leatherhead to the trial is going to backfire for somebody. Spectacularly backfire.

most likely. but it'll be oh so fun to watch if it does! :D

Utrommaniac
08-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Krang is probably going to be up there. Maybe there will be a proper Hakk-R fight with Leatherhead. Maybe a few Utroms going to the trial will get in his way?

neatoman
08-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Come to think of it, wouldn't Baxter make for a somewhat decent witness?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-02-2017, 03:01 PM
Come to think of it, wouldn't Baxter make for a somewhat decent witness?

He absolutely would.

Utrommaniac
08-02-2017, 03:02 PM
That he would. Weren't there Neutrino scientists too or would they have died? Surely there's gotta be some retired guys that used to work for Krang?

(And on that matter, how did Burnow Island get cleared of its Ninja/Soldier corpses?)

myconius
08-02-2017, 05:48 PM
one minor mix up i noticed when reading this was when Raph was mentioning Leatherhead taking Fugitoid's head off, the editor's note said-

[See Issue #56]

and then a few pages later they repeated that same-

[See Issue #56]

-in an unrelated context.

whoops! :o

ChosenOne
08-02-2017, 05:55 PM
The only thing I'm iffy on about this issue? The way Leatherhead restrained Hakk-R with his tail. I don't think crocodilians, even mutant ones, are supposed to have tails that flexible... Now if he were a mutant iguana, that'd be a whole other story, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb this way. I seem to recall he did it to Mikey back in his debut arc, but then again, Mikey has a much thicker body than Hakk-R and IIRC Leatherhead used the very tip of his tail back then.

Oh, well... It is what it is, I guess. In a story about off-brand Kappas meeting up with space elves, C-3PO's shorter cousin, and the illegitimate love child of Reed Richards and General Grievous, there's not much point in fretting over the physical limitations of real animal species in the real world.

It's great to see that mention of this being the longest-running TMNT comic ever on the cover, it's an entirely deserved distinction!

CyberCubed
08-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Counting all of IDW together it already has nearly 150 issues, so I don't see the 73 mark being that big a deal when it already has more issues than anything outside of Mirage.

AquaParade
08-02-2017, 06:27 PM
The only thing I'm iffy on about this issue? The way Leatherhead restrained Hakk-R with his tail. I don't think crocodilians, even mutant ones, are supposed to have tails that flexible... Now if he were a mutant iguana, that'd be a whole other story, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb this way. I seem to recall he did it to Mikey back in his debut arc, but then again, Mikey has a much thicker body than Hakk-R and IIRC Leatherhead used the very tip of his tail back then.

Hey, we all have our weird little 'ticks' when it comes to suspending our belief, so I can understand your concern - I have my own hangups when it comes to fiction. However, this is an easy jump for me to make. Can't you chalk it up with all the other mutations that have occured in his body?

myconius
08-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Counting all of IDW together it already has nearly 150 issues, so I don't see the 73 mark being that big a deal when it already has more issues than anything outside of Mirage.

well it is very significant from the semantics point of view.

Hey, we all have our weird little 'ticks' when it comes to suspending our belief, so I can understand your concern - I have my own hangups when it comes to fiction. However, this is an easy jump for me to make. Can't you chalk it up with all the other mutations that have occured in his body?

i personally thought that 'tail-hold' part was actually pretty cool.

Utrommaniac
08-02-2017, 06:39 PM
All this being said, I'm surprised Leatherhead didn't attempt the infamous "spinout" that crocodyliformes are notorious for - and is probably one of the most terrifying aspects of their biology. Sure, it could have been because he was on land, but I think he would have figured out how to modify it by now.

ChosenOne
08-02-2017, 06:54 PM

Eh... It just took me out of the moment. It could be the mutations, but I'd be quicker to chalk it up to artistic liberties given the difference between his depiction in #56 and in this issue. Santolouco gave him smaller hands and forearms, and a thicker, heavier tail, I believe. Though it was still prehensile enough to whip stuff, and even restrain Mikey and one of Hun's goons in Universe #5 (Dialynas didn't change much other than his sheer bulk), it's a very different proposition to use it the same way against Hakk-R. It's not that important, though. I guess it just caught me off-guard that he could do that.

Utrommaniac
08-02-2017, 07:07 PM
I did notice that Leatherhead's nose is a lot narrower...which is something of a crocodile attribute. So that's the part that bugs me the most.

myconius
08-02-2017, 07:11 PM
now we're all just nit picking :P

ChosenOne
08-02-2017, 07:17 PM
I'll say this much, I believe a huge factor in Leatherhead's popularity is his design. There's just something so primal and so right about the concept of a giant bipedal crocodile/alligator... Whatever incarnation he's in, the most striking thing about the big guy is always his looks. And IDW is no exception.

Such a shame that he hasn't had his opportunity to shine on the big screen yet. :(

CyberCubed
08-02-2017, 07:18 PM
A mutant alligator was always going to be popular. Even when I was a kid I liked him for that reason alone.

DrSpengler
08-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT #73 at TMNT Entity. (https://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2017/08/tmnt-idw-73.html)

While the issue does sort of throw readers into the deep end and has some vital tie-ins (hope everyone got that FCBD special three months ago and is subscribed to Dimension X this month), this is a storyline I've been anticipating pretty hard. So I guess IDW's marketing team did their job. Especially impressive, since I'm not normally into the sci-fi and outer space adventure side of the TMNT.

ChosenOne
08-02-2017, 07:22 PM
A mutant alligator was always going to be popular. Even when I was a kid I liked him for that reason alone.

Same here! I've been hooked ever since I read about Jess Harley's fateful incursion into the witch's house back in the early days of Archie!

Unpopular opinion alert, but design-wise, even the Turtles look bland by comparison.

ToTheNines
08-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Good issue. Nice to see the Neutrinos again, been a while. (I seem to remember Zak being more "badass" and less like his Fred Wolf self though).

LH suprised me, but makes total sense that he's there. Loved the Star Wars joke!

How did I just now realize that Smith's covers are interconnecting for this arc?

Personal nitpick: I ****ing hate when people and/or fictional characters say "the good doctor"/"the good professor". Please no more the rest of the arc.

AquaParade
08-03-2017, 11:08 AM
I'm a big fan of that retailer incentive cover. May pick up the book just for that. I love the 'painterly' style of it.

Wow, speaking of covers, has anyone seen this one? Freaking beautiful.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Teenage+Mutant+Ninja+Turt_1656051

myconius
08-03-2017, 11:41 AM
between Tmnt #73 and Dimension X #1, i really enjoy what IDW has been doing with the dialog between the Turtles. :tgrin:

CyberCubed
08-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Yeah I'm glad how old stuff is never forgotten. I mean IDW could have very well never touched up on Krang again and we'd just assume he was imprisoned forever, but it's nice that we got a new arc out of it. Also this technically counts as the first proper "Turtles in Space" arc for IDW, as their first trip was just directly to the Neutrino homeworld to help them fight and that's it.

Assuming there aren't many loose ends left behind when this arc ends, I guess it'll just be Bishop and the Pantheon going on till a big finale in issue 100.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-03-2017, 01:05 PM
Yeah I'm glad how old stuff is never forgotten. I mean IDW could have very well never touched up on Krang again and we'd just assume he was imprisoned forever, but it's nice that we got a new arc out of it. Also this technically counts as the first proper "Turtles in Space" arc for IDW, as their first trip was just directly to the Neutrino homeworld to help them fight and that's it.

Assuming there aren't many loose ends left behind when this arc ends, I guess it'll just be Bishop and the Pantheon going on till a big finale in issue 100.

And Null, She Who Is Always Forgotten!

myconius
08-03-2017, 03:28 PM

Yeah, that arc from 17-20 felt more like a battle than anything.

this new arc and companion mini-series feel like an actual space arc, complete with aliens, space ships and everything. :tgrin:

CyberCubed
08-03-2017, 04:38 PM
The Turtles always travel through space and to different planets in every series, so it was long overdue in IDW. I guess the lack of a Triceraton arc so far is why it took so long for it to happen.

myconius
08-03-2017, 05:58 PM
i'm hoping we see some Triceratons soon. but if not we already have some cool looking creatures lined up for the Dimension X series.

Utrommaniac
08-03-2017, 06:13 PM
They're on the cover of #75 though??? On the top right corner in front of Earth no less, which probably means they'll be of great importance.

CyberCubed
08-03-2017, 07:43 PM
They'll be present at the trial I assume, but we've never had a Triceraton arc yet.

Utrommaniac
08-03-2017, 08:41 PM
That is true. It's probably going to be set on heat at this point, though.

I do question the Neutrino intent with keeping Krang imprisoned for life. Especially considering how time works in Dimension X. Is it at the same rate as on Earth, at which point, do they realize that all he'd have to do is wait a couple decades for some kind of political catastrophe and slip out in the midst of it somehow? Since he could live for thousands of years past their time? Granted, he might have snapped by then because of isolation (it could be argued that he was already starting to come down with some kind of isolation breakdown after the other Utroms went into stasis, but he could at the very least see them during that time, even if he couldn't converse with or touch them), but still.

Or was interdimensional travel just really, really wonky between the Late Cretaceous and the 16th Century ACA?

It's not necessarily a "I'm on the defense" thing, but more of an "I'm arguing that life imprisonment is a terrible idea, for these psychological issues, these expense issues, and that it will probably cause discord among the surviving Utroms that would make them even more helpless than they already are. Ma'riell and Ch'rell would probably have some kind of a leadership skirmish worthy of Shakespere, all while Ch'rell would be scheming to rescue Krang with the help of Kleve and Montuoro (potentially), and during all that, they'd be vulnerable to someone like Bishop or the Triceratons" thing.

I'm not really sure where that would be in the legal system. He's still obviously guilty of war crimes, but he's also deluded and unstable; prison tends to worsen those conditions. And it would be deeply expensive to keep a very, very, very long-lived prisoner in custody for the rest of his life, and that includes having to keep up with worsening mental stability...which would make things even more expensive. Then there's having to keep the air stabilized for him to breathe, yet another expense. Krang's going to be one expensive S.O.A.B to keep incarcerated, and I don't think the taxpayers of Neutrino will be too happy about it.
What's more is that Trib will have to inherit the weight of keeping things under wraps with Krang, and might have to pass that off to her heirs, and they to THEIR heirs and so on until someone gets sick of it. And it probably won't be the king or queen in charge, but the citizens who don't want to deal with a war criminal that their great-great(+) grandparents put away years ago and they don't want to deal with their burden anymore.

I mean...imagine if Napoleon had been imprisoned instead of put on an island until his death, and lived to the present day and remained incarcerated. It might not be the most accurate comparison, but the state of the world now is "what he did is history, he probably won't be able to do something like again, just look how he is right now!"

I'd say take away the teleporters on Burnow, hand leadership to Ma'riell (between her, Krang, and Ch'rell, she's the most stable-minded) dump Krang there like a sack of beans, and have someone pop in every once in awhile to make sure he's not up to anything, and also make sure that everything's going okay on Burnow as a whole.

Does Krang even know that Honeycutt freed them from stasis???

myconius
08-03-2017, 11:50 PM
i re-read issue #73.

it reads much better when you read the 2017 FCBD special right before it.