PDA

View Full Version : Official Episode Discussion S5 Ep 08: Osoroshi no Tabi

Vicky82
07-30-2017, 02:39 AM
Usagi leads the Turtles through a haunted forest where they encounter mischievous and dangerous spirits.

The episode is up on ITunes

Discuss away

Redworld96
07-30-2017, 02:51 AM
Saw it. This episode is better than the last one for me :lol:

The Giant Spider took Raph and start to tying his full body with her spiderweb while he was saying: DEJA VUU!! Totally a reference of TLOTR
http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3039;gues t=187832454
That was the best part lol

The final scene with Donnie Mikey and Raph "dying" (really they are not dead of course) was surprising and the battle of Jei VS Leo was intense.

Vicky82
07-30-2017, 03:46 AM
Great episode, it was strange at first with those trickster bears but then the episode became more and more serious.

That last part, even though it was a dream, totally freaked me out :o

Leo crying and holding Mikey, got me teared up. :cry:

Ninjinister
07-30-2017, 03:51 AM
"Trickster bears"

Tanuki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_raccoon_dog) :/

Vicky82
07-30-2017, 03:53 AM
"Trickster bears"

Tanuki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_raccoon_dog) :/

Thanks, I couldn't spell it, that's why I put trickster bears, maybe I could of put trickster raccoons instead

Ninjinister
07-30-2017, 04:10 AM
Thanks, I couldn't spell it, that's why I put trickster bears, maybe I could of put trickster raccoons instead

Well, they're dogs, so....

Powder
07-30-2017, 05:45 AM
Not feeling this one. Feels like a waste turning 1 of the 3 Usagi episodes into something so goofy. The last one was a masterpiece to me, so a comedy driven feature that doesn't really move the plot being on the heels of that leaves something to be desired. & then there's the tacked on drama at the end. Nobody but Vicky fell for that. C'mon, how many times they gonna fake deaths in this series? :tlol: By this point, I know better, so it held no emotional impact for me. The fight itself was cool, though. & we got one uber brief moment of Usagi & Leo, they could've done so much more with their dynamic. This would've been a good opportunity to build on that, rather than give way too much screen time to Mikey's ridiculousness. Tanuki are cool & all, but there are so many other Yokai out there that could've made their time far more tumultuous, I was hoping for more variety. Spider stuff's a bit generic in that department.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda, ah well. I'm sure the next will win me over as they usually do.

Vicky82
07-30-2017, 05:58 AM
Not feeling this one. Feels like a waste turning 1 of the 3 Usagi episodes into something so goofy. The last one was a masterpiece to me, so a comedy driven feature that doesn't really move the plot being on the heels of that leaves something to be desired. & then there's the tacked on drama at the end. Nobody but Vicky fell for that. C'mon, how many times they gonna fake deaths in this series? :tlol: By this point, I know better, so it held no emotional impact for me. The fight itself was cool, though. & we got one uber brief moment of Usagi & Leo, they could've done so much more with their dynamic. This would've been a good opportunity to build on that, rather than give way too much screen time to Mikey's ridiculousness. Tanuki are cool & all, but there are so many other Yokai out there that could've made their time far more tumultuous, I was hoping for more variety. Spider stuff's a bit generic in that department.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda, ah well. I'm sure the next will win me over as they usually do.

I didn't fall for it, I knew it was a dream but it was still an emotional moment.

I was surprised that Mikey was stabbed and not given a joke 'death'.

Also what ridiculous moment, that was a Tanuki not Mikey.

ToTheNines
07-30-2017, 08:47 AM
Not feeling this one. Feels like a waste turning 1 of the 3 Usagi episodes into something so goofy. The last one was a masterpiece to me, so a comedy driven feature that doesn't really move the plot being on the heels of that leaves something to be desired.

I felt the same way. So much more interesting stuff in Usagi's world that could have been explored. Also the story structure and pacing was pretty weird.

& then there's the tacked on drama at the end. Nobody but Vicky fell for that. C'mon, how many times they gonna fake deaths in this series?

At least they did a good job selling the fact that Leo believed it. No generic "this can't be happeningggggg!"

we got one uber brief moment of Usagi & Leo, they could've done so much more with their dynamic. This would've been a good opportunity to build on that, rather than give way too much screen time to Mikey's ridiculousness.

Preach brother. Leo/Usagi is always based around "we have swords and honor and fight battles together, we're such tight bros". Now we finally have a crossover where Splinter was slain by Shredder, similar to how Usagi has lost both his father and his master. Doesn't seem like they're going to touch on that. :tconfuse:

Spider stuff's a bit generic in that department.

It was a better design than Spiderbytez lol. And they referenced the Spider Witch from Ghostbusters, so that was cool.

But yeah, next week looks great. It will be bittersweet though, since this will be the last time, chronologically, that we see the guys as teenagers.

drgon78
07-30-2017, 08:54 AM
Well that sucks, I didn't even know they started showing new episodes.:(

The Happy One
07-30-2017, 11:42 AM
yeah the reaction to the deaths was pretty well done even if it was obviously a dream...but yeah a lot of it was kinda wasted on pranks? i mean i did enjoy it, but not as intense as last episode i think (unless you count that scene but, ya know. Fake out)

drag0nfeathers
07-30-2017, 11:53 AM
I had to work... (which is where I am now) I'm waiting impatiently for it to be 7pm so I can rush home and pull it up on the DVR.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
07-30-2017, 12:25 PM
Great episode, it was strange at first with those trickster bears but then the episode became more and more serious.

That last part, even though it was a dream, totally freaked me out :o

Leo crying and holding Mikey, got me teared up. :cry:

Great ending, dissapointed it was just a dream. :)

VaughnMichael
07-30-2017, 01:11 PM
For whatever reason my dvr didn't record the episode today.....:-?

matteso586
07-30-2017, 01:41 PM
I don't know why Raph said deja vu, that spider monster only made me think of the video game, Brother.

Did they say that it was Usagi that knocked out Raph, Mikey, and Donnie in the ending?

From the looks of things, Leo might be put under full control of Jei in the next episode.

I bet Sumo Kuma thinks that the Turtles, and Usagi are dead.

neatoman
07-30-2017, 01:41 PM
That's weird, I watched the episode like 30 minutes ago and forgot I did until I saw this thread...

Vicky82
07-30-2017, 01:49 PM
I don't know why Raph said deja vu, that spider monster only made me think of the video game, Brother.

It was a Lord of the Rings Reference, Sean Astin Character was wrapped up in Webbing

Did they say that it was Usagi that knocked out Raph, Mikey, and Donnie in the ending?

No Jei put a dream spell on them and when Jei killed them in the dream, they woke up.

From the looks of things, Leo might be put under full control of Jei in the next episode.

I think all the turtles will be under Jei's control.

Ashwolf
07-30-2017, 02:09 PM
It was a Lord of the Rings Reference, Sean Astin Character was wrapped up in Webbing

liked that reference, was surprised by the bugs bunny reference in there also

I think all the turtles will be under Jei's control.

same but jei might have leo under a stronger amount of control since leo is the strongest of the 4 of them

Vegita-San
07-30-2017, 02:16 PM
went from a pretty cool stan saki written episode, with lots of neat visuals not really seen before in TMNT......to another boring horror like episode that seemed rather out of place.

I guess a bunch of talking animal warriors wasn't enough to keep ones interest.

i don't know about this season so far.

Zombie shredder arc was rather forgettable.

The Return of the Nuetrlizer was rather interesting, although I wish they had kept Dregg and the worlds shortest invasion out of it. it would have worked much better focusing it on the Nuetralizers race.

the first usagi ep was pretty cool, second one lost my interest fast.

Ninjinister
07-30-2017, 02:31 PM
As a fan of Japanese mythology and mythology in general, I liked it. The dream-fight with Jei was also pretty intense.

Joroguma gave Akemi reason to have even existed in the show in the first place, since she did absolutely f**k all in Yojimbo.

Ninturtle
07-30-2017, 02:48 PM
I felt the same way. So much more interesting stuff in Usagi's world that could have been explored. Also the story structure and pacing was pretty weird.

At least they did a good job selling the fact that Leo believed it. No generic "this can't be happeningggggg!"

Preach brother. Leo/Usagi is always based around "we have swords and honor and fight battles together, we're such tight bros". Now we finally have a crossover where Splinter was slain by Shredder, similar to how Usagi has lost both his father and his master. Doesn't seem like they're going to touch on that. :tconfuse:

It was a better design than Spiderbytez lol. And they referenced the Spider Witch from Ghostbusters, so that was cool.

But yeah, next week looks great. It will be bittersweet though, since this will be the last time, chronologically, that we see the guys as teenagers.

The last time we see them as teenagers? Where did you find this out? If so that's pretty cool

Vicky82
07-30-2017, 02:55 PM
The last time we see them as teenagers? Where did you find this out? If so that's pretty cool

The stories are out of order so this story arc is meant to air just before the future arc which is the last story. It's been confirmed that it takes places 50 years in the future so the Turtles will be near 70 years old but the Turtles might age slower so they will look they are in there 30s to 40s.

ToTheNines
07-30-2017, 02:55 PM

So there's still like 7 episodes that haven't aired but were produced before the Usagi stuff (plus the Lone Splinter and Cubs flashback), but the final 3 episodes take place about 50 years in the future. Gonna be something of a Mad Max homage.

Vegita-San
07-30-2017, 02:56 PM

I thought they copied one of the shots from the Game almost Exactly. but it's been a while since I played it. but that is exactly what the spider character reminded me of..

BubblyShell22
07-30-2017, 02:56 PM
This ep was a bit intense. The spiders freaked me out and I loved the LOTR and Bugs Bunny references. The fight with Jei was intense and even though I knew the guys weren't really dead, it still was emotional what with Leo crying and all. Overall, a decent episode for the most part though I definitely will be waiting for part three.

TurtleTitan97
07-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Leo vs. Jei was hands down the best part of this episode.

CyberCubed
07-30-2017, 04:03 PM
Oddly not much Usagi in this episode. Then I saw the ep was written by Brandon Auman, so the horror aspect and Leonardo being focused on while all the Turtles got defeated made sense. Almost all of his episodes play out the exact same way.

Still the episode had some great moments. The whole Spiderwoman scenes were well done, as well as the final Jei fight even if it was dream.

We only get one more Usagi ep after this, which is why I wish we saw more of him here. If not for that then the ep would be fine.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-30-2017, 05:46 PM
I just saw the episode, and I enjoyed it overall.

Although I thought the first episode was done much better (it was written by Usagi's creator after all), this episode was still good overall, but not great in my opinion. I rate it 7.5/10 while the first Usagi episode is a solid 10/10.

I liked the episode's focus on expanding Usagi's world by showing the racoons/spiders and little moments like Usagi/Kintaro bowing down to a shrine but the turtles not created a nice contrast. The fight scenes were also done well and I especially liked the dream sequence at the end which prevented the episode from being complete filler.

on the negatives though, I didn't like the episode not advancing the story much beside building up how powerful Gei was and I thought some of the turtles' behaviour (although necessary to advance the plot) wasn't the best thing to see, especially Leo who I thought would be much more mature now as the sensei.

I felt like this episode didn't advance the story in Usagi's world much because it tried to slow down and let audience know more about his world. The first episode is the introduction, this episode is the expansion and the third will be the epic finale that wrap things up.

CyberCubed
07-30-2017, 06:19 PM
much beside building up how powerful Gei was.

His name is Jei, not Gei. Just a quick correction.

***First of Two Latin Kings***
07-31-2017, 03:41 AM
The stories are out of order so this story arc is meant to air just before the future arc which is the last story. It's been confirmed that it takes places 50 years in the future so the Turtles will be near 70 years old but the Turtles might age slower so they will look they are in there 30s to 40s.

Archie influence? Archie is the only other medium where they live a long time but age extremely slowly. April's grand-daughter is Leonardo's student in the Cyber-Samurai arc but the turtles hardly look older considering so much time has gone by.

Powder
07-31-2017, 03:47 AM
They age at roughly the same rate in Mirage.

TigerClaw
07-31-2017, 09:49 AM
My Tivo recorded the episode, I will watch it when I have the chance. :)

Allio
07-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Needed Sasuke to drive Usagi to true suffering

Shark_Blade
07-31-2017, 01:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/WCZkAZk.png

PApagreg
07-31-2017, 02:00 PM
You know its actually amazing how the quality dropped between episodes, we go from what was basically an Akira Kurosawa film with anthropomorphic animals to an unfunny episode about Yokai with dumb horror elements. The sad part is that we could gotten some decent interaction between the turtles and Miyamoto but instead we get a reminder that Leo has bad pattern recognition.

Vegita-San
07-31-2017, 02:05 PM
pretty much it. if this creative team does not create some new exclusive horror series, i'd be shocked. seems like they'd much rather be working on that.

there is way too much of it where it doesn't really belong in this show.

Glitter Wand
07-31-2017, 05:54 PM
I didn't like Leo's arrogance. He wanted to act like a super hero, instead of listening to Usagi. At least he realized his mistake in the end. I imagine he's still adjusting to being the new sensei. Plus, the dream Jei put them through was fairly intense.

Aaronardo
07-31-2017, 06:05 PM
This episode is a shining example in why I don't like Auman's writing. There's a lot of good stuff in this episode, but there are plenty of awkward bits of dialogue and a couple things that definitely could have been handled better that keep showing up. It all balances out, and it makes for an episode I feel overall indifferent toward. I guess that's better than an episode I really don't like, because like I said, there is some good stuff in this ep. But this also makes it a bit more difficult to talk about. So, I'm just going to talk about my favorite and least favorite parts of the episode, nothing in between.

I loved the yokai, particularly the tanooki. I thought it was a nice twist at the end of the episode to have the tanooki save Usagi and the Turtles, something I legitimately did not see coming. It was fun to watch them all in action, there was some great off-putting motion in their movements, they were just a lot of fun to see.

For a bit, I liked Leo's dream sequence. But then the point of the scene came across and I thought "really? We're doing this again?" Other than Leo putting up a bit more of a fight, there wasn't much of a difference between this and Splinter's dream sequence in Panic in the Sewers, an episode that aired five years ago. The fear is that typical "oh no the villain is too powerful for us to handle" stuff we've already seen handled much better previously in the series. If the show was more intelligent than it is, I would've said the similarities in the dream sequences would have signified Leo's new role as sensei. Only, that's proving to not be an overarching theme in this season in general, so that's out. Strangely, they bark up a better tree when Jei told Leo that he senses the evil inside him. It could've been an interesting delve into Leo's morality if the dream went on with Leo killing Jei, creating internal conflict, but despite the tone of the dream, this never happened, and that bit of dialogue comes off as completely awkward, unneeded, and out of nowhere. Much like many bits of dialogue in the ep. Not most, but many.

Overall, I'm indifferent toward the episode. I'm in no hurry to see it again unlike last week's stellar "Yojimbo," but it's no Heart of Evil. The good stuff is still pretty good, and it being a Usagi episode is always a plus. There's just some awkward dumb moments here and there, the typical Auman shtick.

CyberCubed
07-31-2017, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I don't know why Auman writes Leonardo like this. The same thing was obvious in the Season 1 and 2 finale's where Leonardo kept risking his life while leaving the other Turtles behind. The same thing happened in one of the space episodes (or was it the Season 3 finale?), where Leonardo rushed out of nowhere to pilot a ship into space to attack the Triceraton warship and just got himself nearly blown up and killed.

Once you see some of Auman's episodes they all play out rather similarly. I don't get it.

Glitter Wand
07-31-2017, 06:25 PM
Perhaps Sakai will write the final Usagi episode. That way, It could end with a bang.

GoldMutant
07-31-2017, 06:31 PM
Perhaps Sakai will write the final Usagi episode. That way, It could end with a bang.

Wasn't Stan only contacted to write one episode in this arc and the rest would be handled by the TMNT writing team? If so, I don't he's got the last episode.

IndigoErth
07-31-2017, 10:10 PM
Not bad. Didn't exactly forward the story much, but still quite liking the environmental designs and action in this arc.

Though the whole Leo rushing off and doing crap, often foolishly, is kind of annoying, as always. That in this series has always felt a little out of character to me, given that he tends to be the tactician in the group; the more cautious, 'look before you leap' kind of guy, and I like that about him. Leave rushing in like that for true acts of desperation when there is literally no time to think... Otherwise, rushing in without thought is more suitable to Raph's personality. If someone is going to do it, then let him do so.

JH24
08-01-2017, 06:12 AM
I have to admit, at first I wasn't really looking forward to it as Usagi never really 'clicked' for me as a character. But I really like his portrayal here. I enjoyed these last two episodes and I'm actually looking forward to the conclusion.

Personally I liked how Leonardo was portrayed. He's still a teenager, and even now he's a sensei/head of the family it doesn't make him a different person overnight. He makes mistakes, and that's only natural. The great thing about Leo is that he accepts those mistakes, and tries to become a better person because of them.

For some reason he always struck me as someone who has a hint of arrogance, maybe even pride, as someone who has some difficulty following others and trusting their judgement. But in a way more out of concern for his brothers and less about himself.

It's in Leo's nature to try and carry his burden, his responsibility to protect and keep his family safe, all by himself. It's as if he feels that if anyone has to suffer, it should only be him.

matteso586
08-01-2017, 08:22 AM
Wasn't Stan only contacted to write one episode in this arc and the rest would be handled by the TMNT writing team? If so, I don't he's got the last episode.

Where did you hear that?

THGhost
08-01-2017, 10:01 AM
What happened to the horses? They just... disappeared.
These turtles aren't dopey at all. Kintaru on the other hand...
Man I am gonna miss the opening to this series once it's over.
"I'll carry you... off another cliff." - Please do, Raph. Please do.
How do the other turtles not realise that that's not Mikey? He's usually silly, but he's not an asshole. Maybe they are dopey after all.
Well isn't this some freaky ****? :tlol:
"I don't like Spiders, Yojimbo. Especially the oversized kind." - Never thought I'd agree with Kintaru. I hate spiders!
How are the giant spider's legs not falling through the webbing?
Was Mikey really just get stabbed?
Nah, didn't think so. But damn, Nick. You went dark again.

Good episode, despite it creeping me out.

I tend to agreed. I was gonna mention this but I didn't want my head bitten off like last time. Glad others agree.

It was a Lord of the Rings Reference, Sean Astin Character was wrapped up in Webbing.

Wow, I totally missed that. :lol:

Why are they airing them out of order? I guess it's okay in this instance since time travel is involved, but it still seems like an odd thing to do.

Ashwolf
08-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Why are they airing them out of order? I guess it's okay in this instance since time travel is involved, but it still seems like an odd thing to do.

cause the monster arc is gonna be aired around halloween despite being the 3rd of the "tales"

Vicky82
08-01-2017, 10:20 AM

I guess the reason they wanted to air the Usagi arc first is because they wanted it out as the same time as the IDW TMNT/Usagi crossover comic book

Yep

Yeah i know it was dream but i'm surprised they gave Mikey a serious death because of the joke stuff he had in other episodes (Joke dream in Dream Beavers, Joke trap in The Fourfold Trap) So yeah, it was pretty unexpected

Donnie had a gruesome death (being crushed to death caused by Jei's spell) and Raph death seemed too easy because he just got hit by purple fire.

THGhost
08-01-2017, 10:22 AM
cause the monster arc is gonna be aired around halloween despite being the 3rd of the "tales"

I guess the reason they wanted to air the Usagi arc first is because they wanted it out as the same time as the IDW TMNT/Usagi crossover comic book

Both of these make sense. Thanks.

Yep

Yeah i know it was dream but i'm surprised they gave Mikey a serious death because of the joke stuff he had in other episodes (Joke dream in Dream Beavers, Joke trap in The Fourfold Trap) So yeah, it was pretty unexpected

Donnie had a gruesome death (being crushed to death caused by Jei's spell) and Raph death seemed too easy because he just got hit by purple fire.

I agree completely with Mikey's death. It gave the moment more impact, even though I knew it wasn't real.

Seriously though, what happened to those horses at the beginning? Are they hanging out in the trees? :tlol:

Vicky82
08-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Seriously though, what happened to those horses at the beginning? Are they hanging out in the trees? :tlol:

I guess they died and for obvious reasons couldn't show the bodies.

I expect someone passing by or those lizards have gotten free horse meat for there dinner. :lol:

THGhost
08-01-2017, 10:35 AM
I guess they died and for obvious reasons couldn't show the bodies.

I expect someone passing by or those lizards have gotten free horse meat for there dinner. :lol:

I guess so. I know the BBFC is heavily against animal cruelty, so this won't need censoring in the UK. Best to play it safe, despite all the other dark stuff that the Nick series portrays. :P

Yep. Hmmm, horse meat. Remember that scandal? :lol:

Powder
08-01-2017, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I for one wish they would've been flung off the horses. Not keen on throwing them to their death.

CyberCubed
08-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Seeing horses die is fine. Animals die in battle all the time.

Horses plummetting to their death in a kids show is very fitting.

Sabacooza
08-01-2017, 04:26 PM
Obviously they did but would horses really just run off a cliff though? I can't Imagine they'd be that dumb.

THGhost
08-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Seeing horses die is fine. Animals die in battle all the time.

Horses plummeting to their death in a kids show is very fitting.

Not sure what you're getting at there, Cubed. Fitting of what? :lol:

Seeing any animal (or anyone) die in a kids show is risky territory, especially when it's falling to their death.

CyberCubed
08-01-2017, 04:31 PM
Horses are dumb. It's not like we're talking about a cat or dog dying. Horses are dumb beasts that let humans ride them and don't even realize they're being used as a means of transportation.

Jester
08-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Cubed, were you kicked by a horse as a child?

You know that actually explains a lot, really.

Glitter Wand
08-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Horses are not dumb. They are a means of transportation, because they're raised and trained to be, rather somewhat brutally. Perhaps the horses in this episode did fall off the cliff, and Nickelodeon refuses to show it.

THGhost
08-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Horses are actually very intelligent creatures, Cubed. You might wanna look into them a little more.

Cubed, were you kicked by a horse as a child?

You know that actually explains a lot, really.

This.

marcelangelo
08-01-2017, 05:09 PM
and if they did so, then they were portrayed as true samurai, giving their lives away so that their 'master' can survive:)
that means they died an honorable death in the end, taken the environment they'Re in:)

Glitter Wand
08-01-2017, 05:13 PM
I agree with you 100%. Many animals, including horses, sacrifice themselves to save their masters.

JH24
08-01-2017, 05:21 PM

For some reason it went entirely by me Donnie was crushed to death. Ugh... that is gruesome. I was wondering what happened to him when I saw him lying on the ground, I'm so slow in picking things up at times.

And yeah, despite we knew it was a dream, it made an impact on me as well. They did a great job with the entire scene, and then Leo holding Mikey...

Glitter Wand
08-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Even though it was a dream caused by Jei's magic, it was still rather intense.

JH24
08-01-2017, 05:47 PM
@ Glitter Wand

Definitely intense. Not only the way Leo's brothers died, but also how Jei really comes across as a menacing villain.

When I watched the episode the volume was set pretty low. The first time I thought Donnie was just being restrained, after watching the scene again I could actually hear his choking sounds and dying breath.

Glitter Wand
08-01-2017, 06:06 PM
I honestly thought this episode was grate, despite Leo's arrogance. He admitted he was wrong and that he should of listened to Usagi in the end, though. Plus, I agree with Raph. Kintaro really needs to be taught some respect. He may be a prince, but he has no right to treat people like that.

Meliwen
08-02-2017, 10:38 PM
Perhaps it's because I haven't watched the older episodes for a while now, but is Leo supposed to be the cool headed leader who goes in with a strategy, or is he now the one who rushes into things without thinking (like Raph used? to be) and/or tries to play the hero? Clash of the Mutanimals, if my memory serves, set Leo up as the calm strategist, where he actually had to learn that there wasn't always time for a plan.

That's typically how I see Leo, but then again, in other episodes Leo has a knack for going solo, and now in this one he jumps into fights, while in a dimension he isn't familiar with, without a plan despite being surrounded by allies. I can't pinpoint Leo's character right now, but is Leo acting OOC in this episode, or is this what his character is now? If it is, it almost seems like he's regressed in some aspects of leadership, which is an interesting choice for the show to make. If it's intentional, perhaps the stress of leading is getting to him, but didn't the first arc of this season deal with that already? I don't expect Leo to always make perfect decisions, his his actions here felt like they fell on the extreme end of things, compared to how he usually acts or has acted. At any rate, Leo's actions seemed odd and I don't like solo Leo, so I wasn't a fan of him in this episode.

Overall, while the final battle here was just meh for me, I really liked this episode and I really like this arc. I really liked Kintaro, Jei, the Tanuki, the spider and Usagi.

LeotheLateBloomer
08-02-2017, 11:54 PM
Perhaps it's because I haven't watched the older episodes for a while now, but is Leo supposed to be the cool headed leader who goes in with a strategy, or is he now the one who rushes into things without thinking (like Raph used? to be) and/or tries to play the hero? Clash of the Mutanimals, if my memory serves, set Leo up as the calm strategist, where he actually had to learn that there wasn't always time for a plan.

That's typically how I see Leo, but then again, in other episodes Leo has a knack for going solo, and now in this one he jumps into fights, while in a dimension he isn't familiar with, without a plan despite being surrounded by allies. I can't pinpoint Leo's character right now, but is Leo acting OOC in this episode, or is this what his character is now? If it is, it almost seems like he's regressed in some aspects of leadership, which is an interesting choice for the show to make. If it's intentional, perhaps the stress of leading is getting to him, but didn't the first arc of this season deal with that already? I don't expect Leo to always make perfect decisions, his his actions here felt like they fell on the extreme end of things, compared to how he usually acts or has acted. At any rate, Leo's actions seemed odd and I don't like solo Leo, so I wasn't a fan of him in this episode.

Overall, while the final battle here was just meh for me, I really liked this episode and I really like this arc. I really liked Kintaro, Jei, the Tanuki, the spider and Usagi.

My thoughts exactly. It was an okay episode. I like the final act more than the rest of it.

Optimus Primer
08-03-2017, 12:33 AM
Is there any way to watch this free and not on TV? My DVR didn't record the episode, and there's no re-runs of it soon.

Powder
08-03-2017, 12:37 AM
Google will take you where you want to go. Streaming links & stuff aren't permitted here.

Optimus Primer
08-03-2017, 12:44 AM
Google will take you where you want to go. Streaming links & stuff aren't permitted here.

NVM, Nick.com put it up. I checked a few days ago, but it wasn't there.

JH24
08-03-2017, 08:34 AM

I guess it was mostly because he didn't trust Usagi, didn't want to admit they needed him, and wanted to assert himself as a leader.

Or it just depends on the writer.

THGhost
08-04-2017, 11:12 AM
NVM, Nick.com put it up. I checked a few days ago, but it wasn't there.

Nick.com can be weird like that.

Shark_Blade
08-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Gotta be honest, last episode was written better.

This one doesn't really move the plot; silly Tanuki messing with the boys, spider LOTR tribute got tiring, dream sequence that had no repercussion nor foreshadow. Nothing of significance happened, no point really.

We could've just skipped to the next (third) arc and not miss anything from this second one. Missed opportunity indeed.

Wish Sakai could've written the complete trilogy. Still, I'm very happy we get Usagi in this series.

Candy Kappa
08-05-2017, 08:09 AM
I really liked this episode, but Tanuki are my second favorite Yokai. And we got to know that the Tanuki that saved the Turtles are all dudes... Good times :lol:

senpai
08-05-2017, 09:34 PM
In all honesty, I feel like the quality of the show has taken a dive. I know people will disagree with me on this as I understand there are die-hard fans out there. I feel as though the writing and pacing is pretty contrived (and I felt this way starting in season 4). Regarding this last episode, to me, Leonardo's arrogance was very out of character; and the sole reason for making him so headstrong was to shine more light on Usagi. I haven't read much of Usagi Yojimbo, though from what I can recall, he and Leo are pretty similar in personality...

I want a new TMNT show now. IDW-style, please.

Vegita-San
08-05-2017, 09:36 PM
i sure don't disagree, but i noticed the quality drop in season 2 from the excellent season 1. and it just got worse from there.

I'm one of the few who thinks season 4's space arc felt rather fun and more like tmnt than anything else they'd done up to that point.

Sadly, the next show will be more like teen titans go if rumors are to be told.

Nick Doesn't really do serious and adult.

FredWolfLeonardo
08-05-2017, 09:44 PM
i sure don't disagree, but i noticed the quality drop in season 2 from the excellent season 1. and it just got worse from there.

I'm one of the few who thinks season 4's space arc felt rather fun and more like tmnt than anything else they'd done up to that point.

When in season 2 did you think the show jumped the shark? Just curious since I always thought it wasnt until season 3 when some of the really silly stuff began to happen and think season 2 is like and even better than season 1 in some ways.

senpai
08-05-2017, 09:52 PM

:sadpanda: That's a drag because there's so much good plot to work with!

Another personal pet peeve that's getting to me now are all the references. The whole show is nothing but nods at other junk in pop culture.

And because I feel like I need to say something about the latest episode considering that's why we're all here, tanuki are jerks. I hate 'em.

GoldMutant
08-05-2017, 09:53 PM
When in season 2 did you think the show jumped the shark? Just curious since I always thought it wasnt until season 3 when some of the really silly stuff began to happen and think season 2 is like and even better than season 1 in some ways.

If I had to take a guess, the first episode, Mutation Situation, was underwhelming for returning back to square one and the writing not being as tight in it. Outside it, maybe Kraang Conspiracy for the April plotline not doing much or Pizza Face. Plan 10 was also not too good in my opinion.

I think Conspiracy or Pizza Face are definitely where the series became off. There's some good in 2, but it's definitely a step down from season 1 in the writing department.

I still wonder to this day what would've happened had the writing team of season 1 stayed onboard.

CyberCubed
08-05-2017, 10:04 PM
The show has never jumped the shark. There are of course lackluster or bad episodes in every season, some Season 2 eps like the Pizzaface ep and the Sir Malachi ep I didn't care for...but they're fillers...like who cares.

Same for every other season. What other show do you people watch where every single episode is excellent? Every cartoon out there has lackluster episodes, it's like you guys don't watch any other show and I know you all do.

senpai
08-05-2017, 10:15 PM
The point is the show had a great start and some people now feel the show sucks. A filler here and there is forgivable and sometimes even welcomed but that doesn't change my mind that the writing is bad.

Vegita-San
08-05-2017, 10:20 PM

the endless parade of gross mutants in a plot line that never got resolved. then season three started with the pointless farm stuff, and it just went downhill from there.

I rather largely enjoyed most of season 4. not really sure why.

The point is the show had a great start and some people now feel the show sucks. A filler here and there is forgivable and sometimes even welcomed but that doesn't change my mind that the writing is bad.

don't worry, most people realize you're allowed to have opinions.

FredWolfLeonardo
08-05-2017, 10:23 PM
Although I am a huge fan of the Nick series and dont think seasons 3 and 4 are bad by any means, i do prefer the first two seasons overall.

I have a feeling though that season 5 will be my all time favourite when it ends though.

CyberCubed
08-05-2017, 11:37 PM
the endless parade of gross mutants in a plot line that never got resolved.

A plot that never got resolved? Are you still making up crap?

ranger_scout
08-06-2017, 12:17 AM
For some reason, the Tivo didn't record last week's episode, so I bought it on Youtube. What happened with Raph being wrapped up by the spider was exactly what Sam's best friend Frodo went through in The Lord of the Rings. The nightmare Leo had really reminded me of this fanart I saw back in 2013. It's tough to see. Thank God it didn't actually happen in the episode.

https://static.tumblr.com/ac8416e370beb3721208704ced917fad/skq5ah0/RgJn8jzyc/tumblr_static_c4eogtiez0g0oo0kgk0k4ocg8_640_v2.jpg

Ninjinister
08-06-2017, 03:59 AM
What happened with Raph being wrapped up by the spider was exactly what Sam's best friend Frollo went through in The Lord of the Rings.

Um...

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/1/19/Claude_Frollo_KH3D.png/revision/latest?cb=20141121031239

What

Faster and Cheaper
08-06-2017, 04:21 AM
Not a lot to say on this episode. I enjoyed it though, if nothing else it was cool to see actual Japanese mythical creatures, like tenuki and jorogumo. Now if we got wanyudo in this episode we'd be set.

Team Bebop worked their stuff on this episode. I remember i did help out on this one a little bit. The thing I remember was the tenuki with Raphael's head, I didn't know the context of it and the textures weren't on so I thought he was just wearing a bear costume.

ranger_scout
08-06-2017, 10:13 AM
Um...

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/1/19/Claude_Frollo_KH3D.png/revision/latest?cb=20141121031239

What

I meant FRODO! My bad! :tlol:

neatoman
08-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Um...

What

Mordorfire!

Powder
08-06-2017, 05:10 PM
Brandon Auman deleted me on Facebook after I said I didn't like this episode. Coincidence? :tlol:

neatoman
08-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Brandon Auman deleted me on Facebook after I said I didn't like this episode. Coincidence? :tlol:

Gotta shut down criticism, I guess?

FredWolfLeonardo
08-06-2017, 05:26 PM

Did you say that on FB or the drome? I doubt Brandon lurks here, atleast not regularly

Powder
08-06-2017, 05:29 PM
The Drome, & he does lurk. He's messaged me & several different Technodrome friends of mine on Facebook after being critical of episodes he wrote in their respective threads. I appreciate his frustration but people shouldn't have to hold their tongues for whatever reason. Never been personal on my end.

neatoman
08-06-2017, 05:32 PM
The Drome, & he does lurk. He's messaged me & several different Technodrome friends of mine on Facebook after being critical of episodes he wrote in their respective threads. I appreciate his frustration but people shouldn't have to hold their tongues for whatever reason. Never been personal on my end.

Seriously? What sort of things does he usually say in response to criticism?

TigerClaw
08-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Finally watched this episode since my Tivo recorded it, I thought it was pretty good.

marcelangelo
08-09-2017, 06:30 AM

one shouldn't have befriended fans of the show in the first place I think.not if it is the only bond you have with that person.and especially if you cannot deal with criticism..but to each his/her own of course..

in my mind it only strengthens the idea I had about him as a writer of the series.

Vegita-San
08-09-2017, 07:15 AM
Gotta shut down criticism, I guess?

At least it's better than getting F Bombed and have yes fans tell you to commit suicide for an opinion.

this new team can not take any form of criticism whatsoever. I know I can't, since I usually don't get positive criticism. that means I'd avoid reading reviews if I ever got into their position. let alone avoid fan contact.

Sabacooza
08-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Auman's a dick plain and simple. I've had my own run in with him. If he can't handle criticism, he's in the wrong business. Hopefully he won't be involved in the next series.

Klunk1234
08-14-2017, 10:43 PM
[QUOTE=Vicky82;1703033]It was a Lord of the Rings Reference, Sean Astin Character was wrapped up in Webbing

Yes Vicky82, a Lord of the Rings reference, but Sam was never wrapped by Shelob. It was Frodo and that's why in this TMNT episode, it show up Raph being wrapped by that spider.

I though Raph, Donnie and Mikey were killed by that evil guy. Leo was crying, but it was a horrible nightmare. Usagi will lead Leo and his siblings to the temple.

Donny's computer84
08-14-2017, 10:45 PM
I sense Lord of the Rings in this one:D:). Lots of action. Usagi appeared good in this as well as the Turtles did.